• Published 2nd Jun 2012
  • 2,022 Views, 15 Comments

Scratching a New Octave - Tyler-the-Brony



The story of Vinyl's Cutie Mark and her first Love.

  • ...
4
 15
 2,022

Chapter 5: Valehooftorian’s

Vinyl was heading towards her classroom/ extra recording studio, something she rarely did. She was often too busy mixing tracks in her dorm room or out doing gigs to attend class. She knew Beat Box didn’t hold it against her though. He encouraged everypony to get as much exposure as possible before Graduation, which would be happening in about two weeks.

Vinyl looked up at the light, that action being almost second nature to her now. Seeing that it was green, she used her magic to open up the door before walking in.

“Ah. Vinyl. Just who I was looking for.” Beat Box turned around to see Vinyl enter.

“You didn’t call me PON-3. This must be important.” Vinyl cocked her head at Beat Box.

“It is actually. As you know, Graduation is only a couple weeks away. There’s a difference at our school though. It’s in terms of the Valehooftorian.” Beat Box elaborated.

Vinyl nodded, uncertain of where Beat Box was heading.

“Here at the Canterlot Academy for Artistic Ponies, we prefer to have one Valehooftorian for each of the Divisions of each of the Faculties. I’d like you to be Valehooftorian for the DJ Division.” Beat Box announced.

Vinyl was stunned. She had never expected such an honour.

“I-I’m honoured Professor Beat. Of course I’ll be Valehooftorian. But was that really the only problem? I can’t imagine that picking somepony else instead of me is anything to pace over.” Vinyl asked, as happy as confused.

“It’s not the only problem, but it is relating. You see, we usually have a big deal for graduation. And all the Valehooftorians get special outfits designed by the Fashion Faculty. However, we’ve hit a snag in more than one way.” Beat Box continued, beginning to pace again.

“What’s the problem? One frill out of place or something?” Vinyl asked, not understanding why fashion was so important to someponies.

“Actually, all the special outfits are destroyed. The Pyrotechnic Ponies accidentally hit them the other day while they were practicing for Graduation. They also hit the Decorating Committee, putting most all of them temporarily out of commission. That also wrecked all the decorations.” Beat Box explained, feeling sweat beads all over him.

“Ouch. That is bad. I may be able to help though.” Vinyl told Beat Box, seeing him stop and look up.

“What do you mean?” Beat Box asked.

“Well, not me personally I mean. But I have a cousin and a friend who could help. My cousin’s name is Rarity and my friend’s is Pinkie Pie. Rarity is always designing awesome fashions, and Pinkie Pie is always throwing tons of awesome parties on the fly. They would probably love to help.” Vinyl told her Professor.

Beat Box immediately felt a slight weight leave his chest.

“Could you really ask them Vinyl? That would save me and the other teachers many headaches. Where are they by the way?” Beat Box asked.

“They both live in Ponyville. There’s a train leaving tomorrow. I could catch it and bring them back with me.” Vinyl told him.

“No real time. The trains don’t move frequently enough to accommodate fitting for so many outfits. Take the other Valehooftorians with you and get Rarity to design the dresses right there in Ponyville. Bring this Pinkie Pie back with you as soon as you can though. The school can pay for accommodations on both ends. I’ll deal with it all.” Beat Box told Vinyl.

“Okay then. Who are the other Valehooftorians?” Vinyl asked.

“Here’s the list of them all,” Beat Box said, floating the list over to Vinyl with his magic, where she took it with hers. “Gather them as quickly as you can and prep to leave. I have to go talk to Principal Hoofman about this.” Beat Box explained, turning to leave.

“Can do Professor Beat.” Vinyl told him, her eyes not leaving the page as she tried to keep a catch of breath out of her voice.

Near the top of the list was Octavia’s name. Vinyl wasn’t really surprised, as she knew that nopony was better at the Classics than Octavia.

Still, a train ride and sharing accommodations without letting anything slip would be hard.

“Or maybe,” Vinyl thought to herself. “You should just let her know. There’s always the chance of her feeling the same way.”

“Maybe,” Vinyl answered herself. “Let’s see how the trip goes.”

And with that last though lighting her every step, Vinyl set off to gather the Valehooftorians.