• Published 7th Nov 2015
  • 5,095 Views, 158 Comments

Sunset's Student - Manaphy



Sweetie Belle attemps to learn more about magic from a returning Sunset Shimmer, but there's much more to Sunset's visit than just tutoring Sweetie.

  • ...
9
 158
 5,095

Lectures and Lessons

Given the roller coaster that was yesterday, Sweetie expected today was guaranteed to turn out exponentially better.

There were no alternatives in her mind.

After all, Sweetie was scheduled to observe Twilight and Sunset's magical research and then receiving a lesson from both Sunset and Trixie afterwards, both events on their own enough to get her heart racing. And with last night ending on a high note, she expected nothing but smiles and laughs to dominate the day.

It'd only be a few minutes until what she hypothesized as an exciting, stimulating series of experiences.

Each minute, however, went at the same pace as an hour.

Sweetie skipped across the road, whistling a tune whilst approaching Twilight's castle. Passersby sometimes waved at her, Sweetie responding in kind. The bright smiles and other foals dashing across the grassland something Sweetie couldn't help herself from smiling at. She always adored it whenever the town adopted an upbeat attitude, wishing such days were more common.

"Just a few more steps," Sweetie murmured. She cracked a slight smirk, envisioning the miasma that must've been the focus of Twilight's research. Her nostrils itched as she imagined concoctions much like the potions Zecora mixed reaching them. "I hope it's cool." She blinked. "Wait, it'll definitely be cool!" Her lips curled into a smile.

All she hoped for were no additional distractions.

"Hold on!" Diamond Tiara's voice called out. "Like, can I talk to you for a bit?"

However, politeness was always more important than excitement. If she merely shrugged those words off and marched to Twilight's castle, Sweetie knew a scolding from Rarity would've been in her future. Her sister always stressed the importance of politeness, especially since her incident in the Best Young Fliers Competition a while back, something she never heard much about.

Most notably, Rarity had a sixth sense of finding out if Sweetie had misbehaved.

Sweetie froze in place. In a flash, she turned to face the pink filly, the two of them making eye contact. Silver Spoon stood next to Diamond as usual, a slight smirk across her face as she adjusted her glasses. And while Sweetie shivered a tad at first, she smiled and waved at the pair before trotting up to them.

"What's on your mind?" Sweetie asked. She arched an eyebrow. "Dinky is safe and back home if you're wondering. Also, I don't recall seeing your mother among those searching for her, so you don't have to worry about that."

"I know that," Diamond replied. Playfully waving a hoof, she nudged closer to Sweetie. "Like, I'm always on top of what's hip and happening in Ponyville. There's a reason why I ran the Foal Free Press—" she paused for a moment, blushing "—before I was kicked off."

"Even I had to admit you crossed a few lines, Di," Silver Spoon teased. Twiddling her braid, she then trotted up to Sweetie until they were inches apart. "Anyway, Di and I agreed to this whenever we saw you again. We both wanted to give our thanks for helping find Dinky. I was concerned for both of you, especially after hearing you'd gone into the Everfree Forest." She wiped her forehead and exhaled. "We're relieved that both of you aren't hurt."

Sweetie nodded. "You're welcome. Helping out was the right thing to do." Rubbing her neck, she donned a sheepish smirk and blushed. "But I'll admit that trotting into the Everfree Forest was scary. It wasn't as bad with my friends and other ponies with me, so I'm glad I wasn't alone in the search. I truly couldn't have done it without them."

"Well, Princess Celestia says that friendship is one of the strongest sources of magic." Silver Spoon gently poked Sweetie's chest, the sensations somewhat ticklish. "That heart of gold will help you along the way. And I know that it's going to sound weird coming from somepony like me, but remember that your friends will always be there for you, even if they're far away or close by."

"Yeah, that does sound like something Princess Celestia would say." Sweetie snickered.

Silver Spoon responded with chuckles of her own, cheeks flushed. "Well, I did learn it from one of Princess Celestia's more famous sayings. I just tweaked it a bit to fit you, especially since you're studying magic and all."

"Like, if you're gonna become amazing at magic, I think you'll have to keep that in mind," Diamond added. "Princess Celestia knows what she's talking about." She paused for a second. "Anyway, think about your fellow Cutie Mark Crusaders and how much they mean to you. Think about Silvy and me if you want to as well. I mean, we're friends and all, right?"

Nodding, Sweetie painted a bright smile across her face. "Yep! Both of you have really changed since Apple Bloom, Scootaloo, and I all got our cutie marks." She froze in place for a moment. "It's cool thinking about how much one day affected all of us so much."

As she thought about that day, Sweetie couldn't help herself from wondering whether it truly was the result of one day or a natural progression, one that was invisible to the naked eye until it all unraveled. It was similar to one of the most common lessons she had heard when it came to learning magic; the process took time.

Of course, such an event was still far off in the distance. How long it'd be was something Sweetie yearned to know, but if Sunset, Rarity, and Twilight had all taught her something, it was that patience was a virtue.

"Was what happened because of one day?" Sweetie asked. "Just curious."

"Well, it wasn't exactly just because of one day," Silver Spoon said. "It's about a number of small parts making up something much larger. I wouldn't be surprised if learning magic followed the same logic." She approached Sweetie and placed a hoof on her shoulder. "And with all of this in mind, we also want to wish you the best of luck on your studies. Di and I have to get going now, but it was great catching up with you." Winking, Silver Spoon then stepped back and waved alongside Diamond. "We're rooting for you, Sweetie Belle! Go and make Sunset Shimmer proud!"

"Yeah, show the world how magical you are!" Diamond cheered.

Sweetie bobbed her head. "Gotcha!"

Waving back at Diamond and Silver Spoon, Sweetie then turned around and dashed across the dirt road once more, her eyes glued to the crystalline castle. There was something special about the friendship she forged with her former nemeses; the ponies who once only teased her now actively rooting for her. It prodded her nerves the more she thought about it. And somehow, she knew such support was genuine.

Almost anything was possible in Equestria. Sweetie couldn't help but find such a claim truer than ever.

Maybe she'd help Twilight and Sunset one day, though Sweetie admitted that figuring out more complex teleportation and lifting heavier objects was essential before such an occurrence. Yet the idea was ingrained in her mind nonetheless. Her lips curled into a soft smile and her eyes widened.

The crystalline castle seemingly blotted out the sky, Sweetie wondering if she shrank upon approaching it.

She trotted closer to Twilight's castle. Sweetie pressed her hoof on the front door in a heartbeat, exhaling as she lifted it away from the smooth surface. Chills coursed through her forelegs and down her spine. Frantically knocking against the door like on the day she first met Sunset was something to avoid, especially with research going on. Another deep breath left Sweetie's lips.

Before Sweetie even touched the front door, creaks split the air as the ground shook beneath her for a moment. She closed her eyes, knocking on what she assumed was the golden plate. But there was something different about its surface. It was a rougher, warmer texture that tickled her hooves as opposed to how the door typically froze her veins.

Sweetie opened her eyes.

Upon noticing she tapped Spike's forehead, she shuffled back and donned a sheepish smirk. Her cheeks flushed.

"It's fine," Spike said. "I've gone through much worse." He chuckled, claws behind his back and a slight smile across his face. "Anyway, I was expecting you to arrive sooner than later, so I thought it'd speed things up if I already opened the door for ya." He stepped back, then cracked his knuckles. "And don't worry about getting lost. I can give tours with my eyes closed."

"I don't think you know the castle that well," Sweetie teased. "Heck, I bet Princess Twilight would struggle giving tours with a blindfold, too."

"Maybe so." Spike shuffled out of the way and bowed, arms stretching to his left. "Anyway, you're more than welcome to enter since we're friends. Just don't touch anything without asking what it is first, okay?"

Sweetie rolled her eyes. A groan left her mouth. "Yeah, I've heard that plenty of times already."

"I'm just looking out for you." Spike snickered. "I've gotten in trouble for that as well, so I can relate, but that's a story for another day."

She hopped into the castle's hallway. Without warning, harsh screeches pierced her eardrums, Sweetie clenching her teeth. Seconds later, the cacophony concluded with a harsh thud as the door closed. Less light bounced around the room, the hallways as dim as they always were. Sweetie shivered as a cold breeze danced about the room.

"Spike, can I ask you a question?" Sweetie asked. She took a deep breath, chest loosened.

"Fire away," Spike replied.

"What's research like?"

Spike glanced back at Sweetie and raised an eyebrow. He cocked his head. "What do you mean?"

"I mean, do ponies actually do stuff or is it just talking?" Taking a sharp left, Spike hopped down the stairs before him with Sweetie following suit. "Anyway, some part of research is talking, I get that, but is it the boring kind of talking or are there moments where the chats are interesting?" After a few seconds, the pair arrived at the castle's basement, Sweetie's teeth chattering as she trudged across the icy floor. "And do they always relate to the experiments?"

"I wouldn't get too excited."

Sweetie's head hung low. She sighed. "Maybe."

"Don't take it like that. What I mean is that if it's the kind of research you'll love, it'll be more exciting if it exceeds your expectations. And if not, you won't feel so bummed out." Spike tapped Sweetie's shoulder. Cracking a smile, he then playfully nudged her and snickered. "Okay, so maybe I don't know what they're up to today, but if it's something you're being allowed to see, it must be cool."

"Okay, I guess that puts things into perspective." Sweetie raised her head, a larger door than the previous ones looming in front of her. Like most of the castle's doors, it was a glass-like frame with silhouettes visible behind it. Two of the silhouettes took the forms of ponies, both trotting around a complicated structure of sorts Sweetie was unfamiliar with. "So I'm guessing they're behind this door."

"Yep." Spike nodded, stepping back an inch. "I'll leave ya to it. I'll be in the throne room upstairs if ya need me. It's on the first floor and one of the few rooms that's impossible to miss. Twilight can help you if you're having trouble finding it."

Bobbing her head, Sweetie's eyes twinkled like stars. "Sounds great! Thanks for chatting with me, Spike!"

"Not a problem!" Turning around, he froze for a moment before donning a slight smirk. "See ya!"

Sweetie glanced back to Spike, waving momentarily, then back to the door. Her throat tightened as she swallowed a lump. Nothing horrifying was waiting behind those doors. Furthermore, she'd be greeted with smiles and waves as opposed to judgmental scowls, the latter always followed with the hairs of Sweetie's coat standing up.

With pale cheeks, Sweetie straightened her posture and puffed her chest out. Regardless of whether it was exhilarating or duller than watching paint dry, checking out what the two mares were up to was what the entire day crawled toward. If communication magic was the topic at hoof, Sweetie figured she had a shot at participating in the pursuit of knowledge. Such an idea wasn't a stretch in her mind.

The mere thought of helping out in a magical experiment tickled her chest.

With one more deep breath, Sweetie pushed the door open, a soft squeak reaching her ears.

Sweetie arched an eyebrow the moment she stepped through the doorway. The room was exactly as she imagined it, all of the furniture pushed off to the side and an array of contraptions, beakers, flasks and so on adorning the center. A warm scent tickled Sweetie's nostrils. Surrounding some of the beakers were none other than Twilight and Sunset, the latter clenching to her magic journal. On the other hoof, Twilight squinted at one of the beakers, muttering numbers which Sunset copied down in response. Further back was a chalkboard, both mares jotting down equations that twisted Sweetie's mind at the sight.

However, an electrifying sensation coursed through her veins. She assumed a bright smile, skipping across the cold floor. Clacks echoed within the room.

Sunset turned toward Sweetie and waved. "Glad you could join us," she said. A grin decorated her visage. "Have a seat and we'll both get you all caught up."

"Thanks, Sunset," Sweetie replied. She nodded, following Sunset's directions and sitting near her and Twilight. Becoming as static as a statue for a moment, Sweetie then glanced at the contraption holding flasks and wrapped with beams and wires, then back to Sunset. "By the way, what is this thing?" She cocked her head. "Are you trying to make one of Zecora's potions?"

"Not exactly," Twilight said, shaking her head. "The idea here is that the flask on the left is filled with water while the right has nothing inside of it, a third flask down below acting as a backup." She caught her breath and focused on Sweetie. "Anyway, since the communication spell involves sending something like a letter from one place to another almost as fast as a dragon's breath, we need to start with the basics."

"What are the basics?"

"We're trying to move the water from one flask to another," Sunset answered. "The third is in case one or both of them break during the experiment. Anyway, a dragon's breath can send letters from here to Canterlot in a few seconds, only the journal itself rivaling such speed. Spike was kind enough to help gather some of the data." Blushing, Sunset then rubbed the back of her neck. "You should've seen the look on his face when he helped out. I've never seen dragons with such cute, wide smiles."

Sweetie snickered. "Yeah, that's Spike for you."

"Twilight and I have tried a number of control experiments kind of like the teleportation spells that you did, though there are plenty of differences. Since matching the dragon's breath or the journal seems to be out of the question, our goal is to use a spell to send letters from one place to another in an efficient amount of time." Sunset pursed her lips. "It hasn't been going well."

Sweetie swiveled her head toward the contraption, squinting at the myriad of parts. "Well, I think it looks fine." Arching an eyebrow, Sweetie then nudged closer to the experiment. While she had no clue as to how it'd all come together, moving the water from one spot to another seemed simple enough. "Hold on a second."

Stepping back, Sweetie then took a quick breath, imagining the water move from one spot to the next.

A tingling sensation coursed throughout her body as electricity crackled around her horn. Perhaps it was as simple as moving one part to another; Twilight and Sunset could've been making something out to be much larger than it was. If it was anything like teleportation, envisioning the water in a different flask must've been part of the solution.

Sweetie took a deep breath and then opened her eyes.

The contraption had disappeared.

All that was in front of her was a sparkling floor and the door she entered from.

Twangs covered her hooves for a moment.

Sweetie's heart skipped a beat. "Wait, where is—"

"You just teleported in front of it," Sunset said. "Even though there are a few similarities to basic teleportation in theory, there's much more to it than just that. Those differences often account for a large part of casting spells, even if they're relatively minor as a whole." Rolling her shoulders, she assumed a warm smile. "That's something to keep in mind when studying magic."

Sweetie made eye contact with Sunset. With flushed cheeks, she bobbed her head and hurried back to where the other two ponies sat. At least her ears hadn't detected shattering glass or fierce scowls attached to Sunset and Twilight, her chest loosening at the realization. And best of all, she wouldn't have received one of Rarity's lectures; Sweetie could've recited the one associated with cooking breakfast properly word for word.

"Remember, not all spells will come easy to you, even if you find some of the more difficult spells simple," Sunset continued. "This is especially true when devising new spells. You can be the greatest magician in all of Equestria, but you're not going to get the first attempt at a new spell just right almost all of the time. And while Twilight and I have both created new spells and successfully cast them the first time around, those moments are extremely rare."

"Gotcha," Sweetie muttered, nodding as she sat back down. "I'm guessing this is one of those trickier spells."

"That's right," Twilight said. "We've occasionally replicated the control test by manually, slowly moving the water, but most attempts have ended up with nothing." She glanced back at the chalkboard and crossed her forelegs. "All of the calculations are correct as well, so maybe there are a few missing ingredients."

"So all of this math stuff is important?"

Twilight nodded. "Yeah, though once you're older, it won't seem as intimidating and confusing as it does now. That's why it's usually best to just start out by learning the non-mathematical spells and simpler tasks. Some complex spells don't require the mathematical knowledge needed to cast them proficiently, but others require such knowledge."

"Would striking a pose after teleporting be one of those spells?"

"To an extent," Sunset answered. She twiddled her mane for a moment. "When I showed you a flashy demonstration that one time, there were some calculations I did in my head. Some require a lot of calculations, but what I did was one of the simpler ones."

"Seriously?" If Sunset's performance was deemed as one of the easier ones, Sweetie dreaded what the more complicated tricks must've been like. A wall the height of a hydra covered from head to hoof in equations popped in her mind, Sweetie cringing at the thought. "How do you do a bunch of math so quickly?" She shrugged, a bemused expression across her face. "It doesn't make sense."

"Practice." Sunset pushed herself up and stretched her forelegs. Her eyes were glued to Sweetie. "You won't be good at such spells starting off. Messing up will be one of those inevitable things. But if you don't give up and keep on practicing the art, you'll eventually get used to it. Such spells will become second nature once you get used to quick calculations."

"But how many times did you mess up?"

"I messed up a lot when I started casting those spells," Twilight said. She ruffled her wings and donned a sheepish smirk. "Such mistakes often involve your horn shooting out harmless sparks and some colorful language if you're agitated, but don't let it get to you." Twilight placed a hoof to her chest. "I think I tried over a hundred times before I got used to it, and even then I still needed to practice before I perfected such a skill."

Sweetie nodded. "I see where you're coming from."

"Anyway, I think we should take a break for the time being," Sunset said. She trotted up to where Sweetie was. "The math is correct and I just know we're on the right track, but there are probably a few steps here or there missing. Once we figure out the missing steps, we might be able to create the spell."

"Wait a second." With a puzzled expression, Sweetie raised her head and gazed into Sunset's eyes. "I haven't been here for that long. And besides, if you're close, how come you're taking a break?" Pausing, she then swished her tail about. "Why not just continue and solve it right here?" She glanced at the chalkboard. Even more equations and scribbles somehow adorned it than compared to when she arrived, Sweetie's eyes widened. "Oh."

"Yeah, it's a lot of work." Sunset giggled. "I think we've changed the equation at least a dozen times before agreeing to go with what's currently on the chalkboard." She turned to the board, then back to Sweetie. "Anyway, practicing some spells with Trixie should be a lot more fun, so do you want to head on over to where she is now?"

Sweetie bobbed her head, grinning. "Sounds like a plan!"

"I'll still be in the castle if either of you need me," Twilight added. Standing upright, she dusted herself off and trotted toward the door, holding it open for Sweetie and Sunset. "Trixie should be near the town hall and finishing up some errands. It's the second largest building in Ponyville—" she paused for a second "—the first being this castle, of course. Anyway, she'll still be wearing her trademark hat and cape, so she should be easy to spot."

"I'm guessing Trixie told you where she'd be, right?"

Sunset nodded, smiling. "She told both of us earlier today, actually." Rubbing her muzzle, Sunset then closed her eyes and swished her tail about. She pursed her lips. "On second thought, do you know where the town hall is, Sweetie? I'm not as familiar with Ponyville as you or Twilight."

"I know exactly where town hall is." Sweetie bobbed her head, skipping ahead of Sunset while the latter trotted beside her. "Just follow me! We'll be there in no time at all!"

"I hope you both enjoy the lessons," Twilight said. She then waved at both Sweetie and Sunset, a warm smile across her face. "Good luck!"

"Thank you!"

As Sweetie trotted through the doorway alongside Sunset, her heart raced and electricity coursed through her veins. While Sweetie recalled her proposal of meeting up with Trixie only being a little over a day old, she couldn't help but think that her suggestion was ancient in the grand scheme of things.

And such plans were finally coming to fruition.


Fate must've cackled and cheered whenever somepony's plans hadn't materialized.

Much to Sweetie's dismay, she wondered if it was her turn once again to have the cards not fall in place.

Ponyville's town square was as quaint as it always was, the few exceptions being when more dangerous monsters caused ruckuses or if another strange occurrence just happened to blossom there, but such possibilities fizzled out as Sweetie noticed most of the other ponies trotting with smiles and filling the air with gossip.

That explained part of the problem.

Among those meandering or sitting at the town square, Trixie was the only one sitting by her lonesome and wearing a blank expression. The sight poked Sweetie's heart. Trixie's back was against the town hall that towered over Sweetie and Sunset, casting a shadow on both of them. Perhaps she was merely bored of waiting, Sweetie hoping that was the case.

The idea Trixie was upset about something leeched onto Sweetie's brain nonetheless.

Other buildings surrounded the town hall much like a wheel or a clock, though it exuded a much more palpable aura. Only the nearby Sugarcube Corner captured her attention as efficiently, its bright colors making it stick out like a sore hoof. And as usual, the town hall was as clean as ever, though it was often surrounded by construction workers.

Such occurrences were just another one of Ponyville's quirks.

Sweetie arched an eyebrow as she focused on Trixie, whereas Sunset pursed her lips. If something had fallen apart for Trixie, an itch along Sweetie's chest nagged her to find out what happened. But as she approached Trixie and noticed her glum expression and the sighs escaping her lips, perhaps egging her on about it would've done more harm than good.

"What should we do?" Sweetie asked. She glanced over to Sunset and shrugged. "I mean, something bad must've happened to Trixie, right? She was so full of energy whenever I talked to her last night. Do you think she may have had an encounter with somepony she hurt?" A soft sigh left Sweetie's lips. "Or maybe she's just lonely."

"There's only one way to find out," Sunset said. "You helped me get back on my hooves yesterday, and I think we might have to do the same for Trixie, but something doesn't seem right." Nudging closer to where Trixie sat, Sunset twirled her mane for a moment. "If you look at her mouth, she seems to have a more blank expression. I think she's less upset and more—hoping for something."

Sweetie did as instructed. As Sunset claimed, nothing too melancholic decorated Trixie's visage. Her lips hadn't curled into a smile or a frown; the mare closed her eyes and stretched her forelegs. Tilting her head, Sweetie then raised an eyebrow and made her way toward Trixie.

"Can you hear me, Trixie?" Sweetie asked, hoof raised a bit.

Trixie opened her eyes and turned toward Sweetie. A soft smile adorned her face as she gently waved at her and Sunset. "Trixie is delighted you could make it," she said. "Come closer so that I can give you some of the plans for today. I'd rather not shout across the field too much, especially with other ponies being busy and all."

Nodding, Sweetie and Sunset followed Trixie's instructions. Upon reaching the town hall, they sat right beside Trixie and made eye contact with her. Already, Trixie's expression had brightened upon being surrounded by her two new friends. Sweetie's chest loosened, her lips curling into a slight smirk of her own.

"Sorry if I seemed a little odd," Trixie continued. She feigned a chuckle, blushing. "It's just that my history with Ponyville hasn't been—" she shrugged "—the most pleasant for everypony. That's putting it lightly." With tautened cheeks, Trixie pressed her hooves together. "But let's not dwell on it too much. Friend—I mean, awkward incidents aren't always the most exciting topics." With a quick breath, Trixie stood upright and adjusted her hat. She wiped her forehead. "Anyway, you were curious about the flashier spells that Trixie performs, correct?"

Sweetie locked eyes with Trixie, bobbing her head a second later. And while leaving behind the past was for the best, the hypothesis that Trixie truly was lonely clung to her like a parasite. That mention of friendship wasn't an accident or even a coincidence, and given the amount of traveling Trixie must've done, she probably never opened up to friendship too much aside from maybe one or two cases.

If Trixie was scouting for friendship, the lessons awaiting Sweetie may have been one possible solution in the latter's eyes.

"I'm glad to see you're still interested," Trixie continued. Her smile widened as she puffed her chest out. "If we're going to practice such dazzling spells and incredible feats, doing so away from the town square is preferred. As much as Trixie would love showing off to an awestruck audience, we must be mindful of our surroundings."

"Naturally," Sweetie said. She then shivered. "I'd rather not punch a big hole through the town hall by accident." Rubbing the back of her neck, she giggled. "That thing gets repaired so often. Besides, the construction ponies could use a little break from fixing it. I bet they always groan and roll their eyes whenever the town hall is a mess."

"That's how all of the students in the mirror world behave whenever the school needs rebuilding," Sunset added. "We'd be cheering and celebrating that evil had been stopped one minute, only we'd then see the craters and mangled gym equipment, realizing what tomorrow would bring. Such things only happened three times, but it got old fast."

"It's a similar story whenever something scary happens here." Sweetie shivered as though a snowstorm swirled past her. "I'd rather not go into too much detail."

"Trixie can relate to both of your stories," Trixie muttered. She crossed her forelegs and ruffled her brow. "Trust me, cleaning up whatever mess Discord or Chrysalis caused during their spout of chaos is the exact opposite of great." She rubbed her forelegs, teeth clenched. "It's annoying."

"Yeah, it's pretty lame." Sweetie chuckled for a moment.

"Anyway, we should find somewhere quiet to practice spells." Trixie glanced over to Sweetie, the pair making eye contact. "You'll be casting some spells which may take some time, but we'll start with the easier spells first." She then trotted ahead. Both Sweetie and Sunset followed close behind. "And don't worry, these first spells will also be a spectacle. We'll work our way up as much as we can, though Trixie would be more than willing to show you these spells in practice, too."

"That sounds awesome!" Sweetie hopped about for a second, Sunset cracking the slightest of smirks as she watched the filly. "Maybe both of you could combine your spells into something truly amazing!" She squealed with delight; her widened eyes twinkled like stars. "I can't wait to see what you both have in store!"

"Same here," Sunset said. She playfully rubbed Sweetie's head. "But as Trixie said, let's be careful starting out."

Bobbing her head, Sweetie then ceased hopping and casually trotted instead. "Gotcha. Let's get started as soon as we can."

Trixie nodded in return and trotted forward, Sweetie and Sunset tagging along. With each step Sweetie took, the world around her became a little brighter and livelier, the wide grins adorning both Trixie and Sunset warming her chest. There was no reason for standing still as far as she was concerned; Sweetie dancing in place even when her friends stopped for a moment. Sweetie occasionally whistled as they meandered across town, Trixie bobbing her head to the melodic tune.

Sweetie's next lesson was already slowly shaping up to be the most exhilarating yet.


While the spells Sweetie was expecting to practice were dazzling and flashy, as Trixie's spells often were if her shows indicated anything, the environment where she and her tutors ceased trotting was anything but awe-inspiring. The grasslands, occasional trees, and the sun hanging overhead exuded beauty, but in Sweetie's eyes, it was paltry compared to the majestic and colorful garden she imagined. No roses or lilies even sprouted from the earth.

The chirping birds all fluttering away soothed her ears, but Sweetie yearned for a different kind of music.

She wished for the melody of magic.

Trixie wiped the sweat off of her forehead and exhaled. Turning around, she adjusted her hat and locked eyes with Sweetie, a radiant grin adorning her visage. "We're here," she said. "Trixie knows it's not much, but when it comes to mastering spells and dazzling feats, one must have plenty of room to work with."

"Makes sense to me," Sweetie replied. Approaching Trixie, she then glanced at the environment once more before making eye contact again. "But what kinds of spells are we going to practice here? There's not much in the way of things we can play around with, so will we be practicing spells like teleportation?"

Trixie playfully waved a hoof. "Sweetie Belle, when it comes to thinking about magic, imagination is your primary tool. Of course, since you're a student while Sunset and I are your teachers, that question isn't something you should worry about just yet." She pursed her lips momentarily. "Anyway, since doing the spells I'm most known for require years of practice, we'll start from the beginning. I'm certain you're aware of Trixie's fabulous fireworks display, right?"

Sweetie bobbed her head, smiling.

"I have a quick question of my own," Sunset said. "When it comes to your fireworks spell, are you sure that doing it in an open grassland is a good idea?" Pausing for a moment, Sunset blushed and rubbed the back of her neck. "It's not criticism or anything, but I just wanted to make sure we're doing this safely."

"I'm glad you asked," Trixie replied. She exhaled. "The fireworks spell that we're starting off with is one of the safer spell, contrary to its name." Stepping back, Trixie glanced at Sunset, then to Sweetie, and finally back to where Sunset stood. "Anyway, this particular spell is often learned by starting out with a small, magical pop. What comes out of the spell isn't flammable, but it is bright and dazzling. It only got its name because of what it looked like."

"I see where you're coming from. Because the spell is harmless in nature, it gives you more room to experiment with it in your shows and use it in new, exciting ways." Sunset smirked. "I'll admit, I kind of feel like I'm learning more about magic listening to your lesson as well. It's quite fascinating. You might want to consider being a scholar of magic, too."

"It is incredibly fascinating, but—" Trixie donned a sheepish smile "—but it's partly due to my special talent and what I've studied. For example, name me an advanced spell you can perform flawlessly."

"I can cast a spell that temporarily freezes the target's limbs." Sunset shrugged. "It seems simple from the outside, but it's actually one of the most difficult spells anypony can master." She turned to Sweetie and winked. "You'll learn it when you're ready." Pausing for a second, she brought her attention back to Trixie. "You can do those spells, right?"

With flushed cheeks, Trixie shook her head. "I actually can't. I might've been able to cast it with the Alicorn Amulet, but—" she gulped "—that doesn't necessarily count, does it? I also can't do gravity spells or fire the same kind of blasts Princess Twilight can. Trixie could reach such a level with enough time and patience, but I don't have enough of those." Crossing her forelegs, a sigh then left Trixie's lips. "I do wish I had the chance."

"I think I can relate," Sweetie said. "There are tons of spells I wish I could do." She approached Trixie and flashed the slightest of grins. "Anyway, shall we get started?"

Trixie nodded. "We shall." She quickly turned around and faced the open plains extending to the horizon. She took a deep breath and closed her eyes. "When starting out, you'll need to concentrate, but after enough practice, you can do it with ease."

"The same goes for most spells," Sunset added. "The teleportation spell we practiced before is a good example."

"Yes, and for beginners, we want to concentrate our magic." Trixie took a deep breath, Sweetie following suit. "This spell also requires envisioning it, though unlike teleportation or other spells, it's one of the easier ones. Since you'd probably like something flashy, let's try a series of pops as opposed to just one. That will ramp up the difficulty a bit."

"I'm totally fine with that," Sweetie replied. "The more challenges, the better."

"Trixie is impressed with your confidence." She exhaled once again, chest puffed out. "Now, I'll do a quick demonstration to help prepare you. Are you ready?"

Sweetie quickly nodded.

"Watch in awe, Sweetie Belle!" Trixie adjusted her hat and raised her head. "The Great and Powerful Trixie shall introduce the first lesson!"

A bright, pink aura enveloped Trixie's horn, sparks crackling out of it and touching the earth. Sweetie's heart raced at the sight, ears twitching. She noticed none of the sparks lighting the grass aflame as Trixie had promised; they merely fizzled into nothingness. And as the display continued, Sweetie couldn't help herself from gawking at the sight, her jaw opened.

In a flash, a small beam fired from Trixie's horn, a trio of popping sounds filling the air. And once the noise had subsided, small and colorful sparks descended from the sky and slowly approached the ground. Red, blue, yellow, pink, and green specks danced around each other in a circular fashion; the sparks disappeared upon poking the grass as if they never existed.

Sweetie gasped in response. While it didn't hold a candle to Sunset's teleportation stunt, it tickled her coat nonetheless.

"That was amazing!" Sweetie cheered, her voice cracking. "The colors were all so beautiful!"

"Well, it is one of the introductory spells, but since you wanted dazzling, I made sure to pick one that caught your attention." Trixie glanced over to Sunset and arched an eyebrow. "By the way, Sunset Shimmer, did I do a decent job at explaining things?" She hurriedly pressed her hooves together. "I just want to make sure I'm on the right track."

Sunset nodded. "You're doing a fine job, Trixie. I understood the explanation and how it played into the demonstration." A smile decorated her face. "Just be careful when introducing more difficult spells."

"How come?"

"We all start somewhere, right?"

Sweetie bobbed her head. "Yeah, I learned that the hard way." She snickered, cheeks flushed. "But I've made a lot of progress since my lessons started, right? I should be able to do this spell without too much trouble, but maybe I should start with a few colors instead of a bunch."

"You're doing wonderfully." Sunset gently rubbed the top of Sweetie's head. "And you have a good idea about learning the spell. Just take these lessons one step at a time." Becoming static for a few seconds, she then assumed eye contact with Trixie. "And you're also doing well, Trixie. All I wanted to say is that it's best to start from the beginning so that the progress can be more linear. You can demonstrate more advanced applications to encourage further research, however. It'll all help with confidence, too. That's how I learned magic starting out."

Trixie nodded with tautened cheeks. "I get it now." She cleared her throat, then brought her focus to Sweetie. "Anyway, do you remember what Trixie said about the spell?"

"Yep," Sweetie replied. "I'm ready."

Closing her eyes, Sweetie took a deep breath.

She clenched her teeth, itches slowly forming on her horn as she focused.

Familiar crackling sounds reached her ears.

Sweetie then fired the spell in a heartbeat, her eyes opening in an instant. She waited with bated breath as the magic crawled slower than a snail. Yet a few seconds later, a harsh popping noise pierced Sweetie's eardrums; she cringed in response, the world becoming silent for a few seconds.

Other than the popping sound, nothing followed.

Sweetie closed her eyes again and repeated the process, the same sounds and sensations returning to her before she cast the spell.

She opened her eyes a second after casting, biting her lip.

The harsh cacophony polluted the air once more, only for another just like it following a second later.

Small, green flakes descended from the sky, fluttering onto the grass and vanishing upon touching the earth. Part of Sweetie wanted to release a sigh and ask what went wrong, given that Trixie asked for three pops instead of two and an array of colors. But while she hadn't copied the spell, her heart warmed nonetheless. Not many ponies had such an act under their list of accomplishments, Sweetie's visage brightening at the thought.

Maybe nothing went wrong. After all, Sunset noted how it all depended on practice.

"Excellent work," Sunset said as if on cue. "You'll get the hang of it eventually."

"Thanks," Sweetie muttered. "I do wish I could've matched Trixie's spell, but at least something came out of it." Pressing her hooves together and biting her lip, Sweetie then turned toward Trixie. "You said it was easy, but it took me a while to even get close. Getting close is okay with you, right?"

Trixie nodded. "It's fine with me. What one pony says is an easy spell may be difficult for others." She cracked a smile. "And it took Trixie a few tries to get the hang of it. You're definitely on the right track." Pausing, she took a quick breath. "Let's try again after a short break. Does that sound reasonable?"

"Sounds good." Sweetie licked her lips. Her stomach purred. "I could go for some food right about now." A chuckle left her mouth. "Shall we get something delicious to eat?"

"We shall."

Sunset, Sweetie, and Trixie trotted alongside each other. There was something to be said about learning from not only Sunset, but Trixie and Twilight as well. The thought prodded Sweetie's nerves. Perhaps she'd be as talented as them upon becoming older. Just imagining herself being seen as equal compared to her tutors one day erased anything that weighed her down. Perhaps she'd float away whilst singing a tune if she imagined such a scenario long enough.

However, if Sweetie took one thing from all of this, it was that practice made perfect.