• Published 7th Nov 2015
  • 5,121 Views, 158 Comments

Sunset's Student - Manaphy



Sweetie Belle attemps to learn more about magic from a returning Sunset Shimmer, but there's much more to Sunset's visit than just tutoring Sweetie.

  • ...
9
 158
 5,121

Unexpected Encounters

Never had Sweetie predicted she'd practice—let alone achieve—basic teleportation with Sunset so successfully. While the news of repetition prodded her coat at first, just getting into the art of repeating a spell revealed just how important practice was. She wasn't a professional at magic quite yet, as was to be expected, but each time she vanished and reappeared somewhere else saw her balance and coordination improving a little. She'd crack a smile and wave at Sunset with each attempt, Sunset responding in kind.

Sweat poured down her forehead like a rainstorm. Her horn ached a tad and her lungs burned like an overheating furnace. Panting, she glanced over to Sunset, who nodded and trotted up to where Sweetie slumped.

"I think that's good enough for today," Sunset said. "I don't want to tire you out too much. Anyway, excellent work out there." A chipper grin adorned her face as she patted Sweetie's shoulder. "At this rate, you'll be better at teleportation than I am by the end of the week. Your progress is stunning!"

Sweetie blushed, forelegs crossed. "Well, I'm trying my best," she said. Giggles escaped her lips. "It's weird. If I can't lift a sack of flour with my magic, how was I able to get the hang of teleporting so quickly? I know you said that some spells come by easier for some ponies than others, especially if their cutie mark is related to the spell, but it still strikes me as weird."

"Magic is an odd subject. I'll give you that." Sunset sat down on the grass and made eye contact with Sweetie. Silence lingered in the air for a few seconds. "I think part of why you're making a lot of progress so quickly is because you're so enthusiastic about the subject. Twilight and I were kind of like you when we were starting out." She gazed back at the pond before her; water shimmered under the sun's rays. "When you're young, the whole world seems rather mysterious. There's so much out there you're yearning to learn and when magic plays a part in that, all sorts of questions are bound to come up. This desire to learn will be fundamental in improving your magic skills."

"Yeah, I do ask a lot of questions."

Sweetie rubbed the back of her neck and donned a sheepish smirk. Asking questions about all sorts of things was one way she figured she'd learn about magic, after all. And if Miss Cheerilee's words about the importance of speaking up when things required clarification or just didn't make sense were anything to go by, it was that questions and answers guided her when it came to studying magic. Sweetie learned more about the art and science behind it the past few days than all of the time before Sunset returned to Equestria.

The myriad of questions brewing in her mind also urged her to check out a book or two from Twilight's library—with permission, of course. To think she'd have groaned and rolled her eyes at the prospect a week ago, but there she was, slowly metamorphosing into an egghead as Scootaloo often called bookworms.

However, while the value of Sunset's lesson plans were becoming almost as clear as crystal, there was still the question of finding Trixie's whereabouts. Asking Sunset for clues was likely to end up with nothing but a shrug or a raised eyebrow, but there was the slimmest of chances they had made acquaintances already. Trixie was learning the magic of friendship much like how she was learning magic in general, so the possibility was there.

Sweetie cleared her throat. "Sunset, have you met Trixie yet?" she asked.

"Trixie?" Sunset blurted out. Swiveling her head to the right, her eyes gazed into Sweetie's. "Sorry, but I haven't met her Equestrian counterpart yet. Are you friends with her?"

"Sort of." Sweetie shrugged. "I was kind of curious if she knew some dazzling spells we could all practice together. Well, I'm up for it if it's okay with you, that is."

"I'm not surprised she's a talented wizard in this world, but I never knew you were on good terms with her."

With an arched eyebrow, Sweetie cocked her head. "How come? I mean, I know Trixie isn't exactly the easiest pony to get along with." Trixie's habit of speaking in the third pony and the degree to how much she boasted about her accomplishments struck the nerves of some ponies at times. Understandable, but she somehow became more reserved ever since the chaotic mess with the Alicorn Amulet, much to the delight of everypony. "At the same time, she's becoming nicer the more she learns about friendship. At least that's what Twilight told me once."

"So she's a nicer pony in this world." Sunset rubbed her muzzle. "Interesting. I wasn't expecting that."

"Nicer?" In a flash, Sweetie's eyes widened to the size of dinner plates. "That's it!"

"What's it?"

"One of the big differences between the worlds must be how events change our counterparts for better or worse! While we may have similar personalities, our counterpart in the mirror world may be nicer or meaner depending on what they went through." Sweetie caught her breath; her lips curled into a radiant smile. "So while Trixie has matured in Equestria, she may still be super-boastful and rude in the mirror world because she hadn't learned about friendship yet."

Sunset's eyes glowed as she cracked a grin. "You're right, Sweetie." She then wrapped Sweetie in a hug, the latter giving one in return. After a few seconds, the pair released each other from their warm embrace and straightened their posture. "I don't know why I never thought of that sooner." A giggle left her mouth. "Maybe it was just because Equestria and the mirror world have been practically similar in everything else I've noticed."

"I can understand. Heck, I've had Applejack, Rarity, or Twilight clarify all sorts of things I thought I knew. They've gone through the same thing, too."

"I guess it happens to even the wisest ponies out there."

Sweetie nodded. "Maybe so."

"Anyway, it sounds like Twilight knows Trixie somewhat well in this world." She trotted past Sweetie, pausing a moment later. "Say, how about we give her a little visit tomorrow if we can. We'll work together and do some fun stuff and spells. Sound good to you?"

"Sounds amazing!" Sweetie sprung up into the air. Upon touching the blades of grass, she galloped up to where Sunset waited. "I'm all for it!" The pair then trotted away from the pond in unison. "What spells do you have planned? Are we going to do some cool stuff? Maybe we could do that spell Rarity uses to find gems!"

"Those are all possible suggestions. However, I don't know quite yet, but with the progress you've been making, I think—" Sunset decorated her face with a smirk and winked at Sweetie "—I think we can push you up a level and tackle some of the more advanced spells. Nothing too advanced yet, but a little tougher than before. We'll revisit some of our past lessons, of course, but I think you might be ready for the next step."

Sweetie gasped, electricity coursing through her veins. Her heart skipped a beat. "Really?"

Sunset merely bobbed her head.

"Yes!" Sweetie hopped forward like a bunny. "I can't wait for tomorrow!"

"Same here, Sweetie Belle. We're all proud of you." Sunset pursed her lips for a second. "Let's head back to Carousel Boutique and call it a day. We'll meet up at nine in the morning this time around. I'll check with Twilight on Trixie's possible whereabouts, though if she's busy, we'll just continue our lessons as usual. Just—make sure you're awake and all ready to go by then, okay?"

"Okay!"

Sweetie skipped ahead while Sunset followed close behind. The possibility of receiving lessons from Sunset and Trixie tickled her coat as electricity coursed through her veins. It was the best of both worlds as far as she was concerned, a combination of Sunset's sophistication and Trixie's flashiness.

However, there was the problem of Trixie's nomadic tendencies, her being a traveling mage and all. If she was all the way in Manehattan or Trottingham, then meeting her tomorrow would remain a dream. She had appeared in Ponyville more often in recent memory, usually to meet up with some friends of hers, though Sweetie couldn't count on her being in the town at a specific time. Omnipotence was one skill even she had to admit was something impossible to learn.

A campaign or promotion for her to visit the town had a chance of luring Trixie over to Ponyville; some of her classmates were professionals when it came to spreading news or gossip, Featherweight always striking a nerve with her fellow classmates whenever it came to passing stories along. And she never needed a map for finding Featherweight's home. He was the best bet if Trixie had to be tempted over.

Yet the odds of something going wrong were too high. Twilight's warning from earlier in the day rang in her head like a broken record. While it only pertained to her books and trinkets within the castle, not making a mess of things outside of the gaudy palace was also preferred. Sunset would surely object, maybe even fire off a fierce scowl and cut off magic lessons.

Sweetie shivered at the thought. Another accident was the last thing she needed.

"Are you okay, Sweetie?" Sunset asked, her calm tone suggesting she already knew the answer.

Sweetie glanced back at Sunset, then donned a slight smile. "Yeah, I'll be fine," she said. "I was just thinking about what to do if Trixie was too far away. I thought about making a campaign to bring her over, but—" Sweetie's throat tightened "—but I think it'd probably end poorly for me and Trixie."

"Yeah, a campaign might be more trouble than it's worth. There's also the possibility that it may not even work." Sunset swished her tail around and sped up; she then trotted alongside Sweetie. "When I was in the mirror world, I sometimes had to promote activities or events for my friends. We used pamphlets, gossip, and even concerts in order to spread the word." She froze for a moment, eyes catching Sweetie's cutie mark for a second. "On a somewhat related note, your cutie mark suggests a talent in music. I'm guessing you're a talented singer or musician, right?"

Sweetie peeked at the cutie mark adorning her flank, noticing the pink musical note that composed part of the design. "Yep, I'm a good singer when I put my heart into it." She brought her attention back to Sunset and then arched an eyebrow. "But what about it? Are music and magic related in any way?"

"Bingo." Sunset nodded. "Music can sometimes be used as a form of magic. From my research, I noticed how channeling our inner spirit, what makes us who we are, can sometimes result in magic being emitted when playing instruments or singing. It's a strange phenomenon and one I'm always eager to learn more about."

"That's cool!" Sweetie's eyes glimmered. She nudged closer to Sunset. "I know Countess Coloratura can somehow express magic through her music, so maybe it's the same with me."

"Maybe so." Sunset paused for a second. "Say, maybe you could share one of your songs when you have the time. I'd love listening to one of them."

"Maybe another time. I'm still trying to get used to singing." Sweetie's cheeks flushed.

"Sounds good. Let me know when you're comfortable."

Bobbing her head, Sweetie looked ahead and noticed Carousel Boutique before her. It glistened under the sunlight with Rarity standing outside and rubbing her muzzle, scrutinizing some colorful frocks. Her hooves ached as she crept closer to her extravagant abode fitting for a princess.

However, as Sweetie made her way toward the boutique, her chest tightened at the sight of a pink unicorn nonchalantly trotting past Carousel Boutique. Both the mysterious mare and Rarity wore smiles across their faces, but something about the former seemed familiar. The distinct manestyle and its purple color and light blue highlights caught Sweetie's attention, though Rarity never noticed the mare's presence.

"Is that her?" Sweetie muttered under her own breath. She blinked, a perplexed visage adorning her. "If so, why is she hanging out with Rarity?"

"Who's that?" Sunset asked. Her cheeks tautened as she arched an eyebrow. "She looks oddly familiar."

"Beats me," Sweetie replied, shrugging. "She moved in a few days ago, though she's been mostly to herself as far as I can tell. She's only spent time with maybe three or four ponies, Twilight keeping an eye on her most of all as far as I can tell. Maybe she's new to how things work here, but something does feel—familiar about her. I know we had a small welcoming party not too long ago. Was it for her?"

"Knowing how Pinkie Pie does things, that makes a lot of sense." Sunset cocked her head. "And how is she familiar to you? I can't help but shake the feeling that I used to spend time with her long ago." She adopted a bemused expression, watching the mare as she trotted away with a tote bag in hoof. Sunset then twiddled her mane and pursed her lips. "But I'd know her name if I spent time with her. Even the ponies I distanced myself from the first time I entered the mirror are names and faces I clearly recall, but she's different."

"Different?"

"It's hard to explain." Sunset rubbed her muzzle. "Did I purposefully forget her? It's—so weird."

"Maybe it's her mane. I do like it." Sweetie shrugged. "Maybe we can talk with her when she's not busy."

"Well, I guess everypony in town will get to know her better, myself included. She seems nice enough, if a little awkward at times." The mare's whistling as she gawked at the town's sights and landmarks did earn a raised eyebrow from Sweetie. Sunset then trotted up toward Carousel Boutique as Sweetie stayed close. "Let's just focus on the more essential things first."

"Sounds like a plan." Sweetie bobbed her head. "Let's meet up with Rarity! I can't wait to tell her everything I've learned today!"

"Same here. I know she'll be so proud of you."


To say Rarity was proud regarding Sweetie's progress was an understatement. Even after Sunset waved goodbye to the pair and trotted back to Twilight's home, the hugs and cuddles and praise Sweetie received from her sister would've been enough to satisfy a family of changelings for years. Sweetie adored the appreciation, but it grew rather excessive at the same time. It was typical Rarity when it came to gushing about such things, her vocabulary consisting of words like 'marvelous' and 'exquisite' also a distinct component of it all.

And after dinner came and gone, Sweetie's taste buds enjoying a fresh salad easy on the stomach, her mind shifted straight to the questions she'd ask Sunset and Trixie tomorrow. Sweetie paced about the living room while Rarity focused on the newspaper. The fluffy, lavender carpet soothed her once sore hooves.

"Maybe I should ask about that fireworks spell," Sweetie murmured to herself, still trotting in circles. "Getting or building actual fireworks often takes too much time, and I'd rather avoid what happened at that festival in Ponyville a while ago." She pursed her lips and blushed. "At least Fleetfoot's on good terms with me now. I wonder how she's doing."

Sweetie glanced over to where Rarity sat. The newspaper's top story mentioned something about Twilight traveling in a time loop or something to that nature, the culprit that caused such a scare being carefully watched by the princess. She'd heard that the skilled unicorn who'd nearly caused a catastrophe wasn't too heavily punished, though said unicorn's activities were severely limited from what the newspaper suggested.

The unicorn's name was somehow a mystery to her. But it didn't matter; there were more important things at hoof than some random curiosity. Sweetie was joining up with Sunset and Trixie tomorrow if everything panned out, after all.

"Is everything alright, dear?" Rarity asked. "You've been trotting around like that for the past five minutes."

"Just thinking about what to ask Sunset Shimmer and Trixie tomorrow," Sweetie said. Freezing in place, she then made eye contact with Rarity. "I'm wondering what kinds of spells we could all practice together."

"Curious as always." Chuckling, Rarity gently touched her lips with the tip of her hoof. "But there's no need to stress out about it too much, dear." Sweetie arched an eyebrow at this statement, given who had said it. "Patience is a virtue, and maybe you'll have more fun if you're surprised."

"Makes sense." Sweetie nodded. Jumping up into the air, Sweetie landed on one of the chairs adjacent to Rarity's, her body sinking into the soft cushions. She donned a bright grin. There was something cloud-like about the furniture Rarity bought, Sweetie sometimes finding them more comfortable than any of the beds she came across at Quills and Sofas. "But it'd be nice to know."

"I know how you feel. Knowing ahead of time can make you feel fabulous, though surprises can be spectacular as well."

Sweetie bobbed her head again. "Yeah, surprises can be nice. The day I got my cutie mark had to be the biggest surprise of all."

"And remember how ecstatic you were when you got it?"

"Yep!"

"Then maybe the activities you'll do with Sunset and Trixie will be more fun when you're not expecting them."

A trio of knocks polluted the air. Sweetie quivered for a moment, shifting her attention to the front door. Upon glancing out the window, she noticed two silhouettes about her size, one of them adorned with a large bow atop her head. They were Apple Bloom and Scootaloo without a doubt. And if the second series of rapid knocks were anything to go by, they had an adventure in mind.

Either that or something they were eager to share with her. Both options were more than welcome in her eyes.

Sweetie dashed toward the door.

"Careful, darling!" Rarity ordered.

"I know," Sweetie said as she slowed down.

Reaching the front door, Sweetie pushed it open. In the blink of an eye, her two friends trotted toward her until they were inches apart, grins brighter than the sun across their faces. Usually, something spectacular followed minutes later, regardless of whether they ended up succeeding in their goals or not. And since most of these activities were them trying to get their cutie marks in the days before getting them, they often ended up as embarrassing or being covered in tree sap.

Sweetie didn't regret those days, however. They were filled with smiles and laughter regardless.

"Are ya ready, Sweetie Belle?" Apple Bloom asked.

Sweetie arched an eyebrow. "Ready for what?"

"We're gonna do some cool games outside by the fountain!" Scootaloo blurted out with eyes the size of saucers. "You wanna come join us?"

"Of course I would!" Sweetie answered in a chipper tone.

"Awesome!" Scootaloo stepped back and motioned toward Sweetie; a confident grin decorated her visage. "We've got the perfect game of hide-and-seek in the making. We've got—I think—half the class or so joining us!" Sweetie made a beeline toward where Apple Bloom and Scootaloo were. The temptation of having tons of fun with her classmates spoke to her heart; she'd never pass down such an opportunity. "Let's get going!"

"See ya, sis!" Sweetie shouted, waving back at Rarity.

Rarity responded in kind. "Be safe, darling! I hope you have fun! But try returning home before the sun sets, okay?"

"I promise!"

Sweetie slammed the door shut, a thunderous thud splitting her ears. As Apple Bloom and Scootaloo trotted on ahead, Sweetie couldn't help but notice the sun slowly setting as it lit the sky a brilliant orange. Her eyes sparkled as she surveyed the sights around her, the trees swaying in the breeze, the dew-covered grass sparkling like diamonds, and everypony who was out and about gossiping about all sorts of things. All of their voices were muddled among the sea of chatter.

Figuring out what left their mouths wasn't important to her in the grand scheme of things, however. Most were blathering on about that time travel story, though the details Sweetie picked up on were scarce at best. However, there were some games to play first.

"This is gonna be so much fun!" Apple Bloom cheered, bouncing around with a radiant grin. "I think this is gonna be the first time we're playin' with Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon!"

Sweetie caught up to the duo. "They are?"

"Yep," Scootaloo said. "And I can't believe I thought I'd say this, but hanging out with them might actually be cool for once."

Nodding in agreement, Sweetie then brought her attention to the world in front of her. As expected, those joining in on the fun already waited next to the fountain, the roaring water spewing from it drowning out much of the chatter leaving everypony's mouths. All of them were either skipping about or grinning; Sweetie adopting a similar expression.

And approaching them first was none other than Diamond Tiara. Even after she became a sweeter filly, she still wore that smug grin that always prodded Sweetie's nerves at the sight. Not even what Sweetie and her friends considered a genuine redemption erased all of Diamond's bite and sharp tongue.

"Like, it's not surprising you're all late," Diamond teased. She pursed her lips for a moment and then smirked. "But it's nice to see you all here."

"Same here," Apple Bloom said. She trudged over to Diamond, their muzzles almost bumping into each other. "Just try to cut down on the sass this time, okay?"

A giggle left Diamond's mouth. "No promises."

Sweetie and her closest friends rolled their eyes in unison. Some things weren't prone to changing, after all.

Silver Spoon then shot a glance at the Cutie Mark Crusaders as she stuffed a book into her saddlebag. "So what are the rules this time around?" she asked. "I know how hide-and-seek works, but are there any restrictions to where we can go and how long we can hide before we all come out?" She caught her breath. "You're the one organizing this game, Scootaloo, remember?"

Scootaloo bobbed her head and flashed a confident smirk. "I know what I'm doing," she said, striding toward the other foals. "Basic rules are in effect. Nopony is allowed to hide inside somepony's house or anywhere dangerous." She shivered as though the temperature plummeted in an instant. "Dinky, that means you."

"Yeah," a thin pegasus colt added. "Dinky needs to watch where she's going."

Dinky, a light purple filly, shot a glare at the colt. "I know, Featherweight!" she retorted. "Gosh, just because I accidentally got stuck in a huge jar last time doesn't mean I'll do it again. I was just thinking of the last place somepony would hide, that's all." Dinky was always clever, however, though Sweetie sometimes wondered if she somehow made being too clever a thing.

"Well, you almost succeeded, genius," Diamond said. She sighed and straightened out her posture.

"Let's just put it behind us for now," Silver Spoon said, raising a hoof. She rolled her shoulders nonchalantly. "It's best we learn from our mistakes and try to move forward."

"Fair enough. Just wanted to make my point clear."

"And mine!" Featherweight shouted with a gleeful grin.

"Yeah, and Featherweight's."

"Look, can we just get on with the game?" Scootaloo asked, rolling her eyes. A sight left her mouth. "The more time we spend bickering, the less time we have for hide-and-seek."

"You're right." Nodding, Diamond trotted up to Scootaloo and then rolled her shoulders. "But who'll be the ones hiding?"

"I've already got an idea." As she stepped away from Diamond, her gaze still peering into the filly's eyes, Scootaloo took a deep breath. "Everypony, pick a number between one and a hundred."

Diamond raised an eyebrow and cocked her head. "Seriously?"

"Yep." Scootaloo nodded. "Pick a number. The one who's the closest to guessing right or is correct will be the one seeking us."

"Forty-seven."

Scootaloo brought her attention over to Silver Spoon with the former waving a hoof. "What about you, Silver Spoon?"

Rubbing her muzzle and glancing down at the soil below, Silver Spoon hummed for a moment. "Twelve," she eventually muttered.

"Thirteen!" Apple Bloom cheered.

Sweetie giggled, the tip of her hoof gently poking her lips. "Fourteen!" she squeaked.

"Fifteen!" Dinky shouted at the top of her lungs.

Rumble raised his hoof up, taking a loud and deep breath. "Six—"

"You can stop now," Scootaloo interrupted. "It was fifteen, which means Dinky is gonna be the one looking for us." She trotted aimlessly for a moment and scanned the environment, glancing at Sweetie and the other foals with them for at least a second at a time. All anypony heard was the slight breeze and the rustling of leaves. Everypony's eyes simultaneously swiveled to focus on Dinky; the small filly shrugged and blushed. "You know the rules, right?"

Dinky nodded, cheeks tautened. "Yep!" she said, though Sweetie's ears twitched as Dinky's tone reached them.

"Time to repeat them! As I said, we—"

Sweetie knew the rules already. Listening to them for a fiftieth time, while helpful to some, was something she had no regrets ignoring in favor of other thoughts. Magic lessons, tomorrow's in particular, dominated much of her mind. While she hadn't devised any questions yet, even if Rarity informed her she didn't have to think of any, something about going in blind sent chills down her spine. It was like not studying for an exam, the greatest of horrors.

"Don't get lost!" Scootaloo roared and her brow furrowed. "You know where we can and can't go! And don't even think about cheating, okay?"

For a game of hide-and-seek, Scootaloo was treating it as though the game determined everypony's future, at least Sweetie interpreted it that way. Such an observation was almost guaranteed to be false, but such an attitude regarding games was something that defined Scootaloo; Sweetie wondered if she got it from spending hours at a time with Rainbow Dash.

As for Dinky, she had a habit of bumping into things or taking a wrong turn. Klutz was a nickname Dinky came up with herself, though Sweetie tended to avoid mean nicknames like broccoli, even if they originated from the pony being adorned that identity. It just left a bitter taste in her mouth.

"Do you understand?" Scootaloo shrieked.

"Yes, ma'am!" Dinky replied, nodding.

"Does everypony else understand the rules?"

Sweetie and the others all nodded in unison with bright smiles across their faces.

"Good!"

Apple Bloom then trotted up to Scootaloo with a raised foreleg. "I have a question," she murmured. "How do ya know when we're allowed to start hidin'?"

"At the count of three." Before Apple Bloom could speak, Scootaloo then cracked a slight grin. "And you've got sixty seconds until the pony seeking us is allowed to open their eyes and begin searching for us, okay?"

"Okay." Apple Bloom nodded.

"Any other questions?"

Everypony's lips were zipped shut.

"Good." As the rest of the foals stepped back, some of them stretching their legs and licking their lips as they locked onto different areas, Dinky closed her eyes and pressed her face against the fountain, forelegs wrapped around her head. Scootaloo then cleared her throat. "Three! Two! One! And go!"

In a heartbeat, Sweetie made a beeline toward one of the nearby shrubs, diving into it. The bright green leaves prodded and tickled her coat, though it wasn't itchy to the point where it was worse than an unwashed sweater. For reasons unknown to her, there was just enough room for her to squirm about should she ever need to stretch a bit. Sweetie's muscles loosened a little.

Perhaps illusion spells would be her proposed question to Sunset and Trixie tomorrow. Her eyes brightened just at the thought. And even if they weren't as flashy or advanced as what both of them could do, the opportunity was too appetizing to pass up. Her thoughts then moved to a second question. If she was going to meet up with two gifted unicorns, she needed to make the most of it.

"Good hiding place, Sweetie Belle," a voice teased.

Sweetie shivered and jumped up an inch. Turning toward the voice's source, she noticed Silver Spoon right beside her, a bright smile across her face. The filly chuckled, then patted Sweetie's shoulder.

"It's okay," Silver Spoon continued. "Great minds think alike, I guess."

"Yeah, I thought I'd have my own space, too."

"So what have you been up to?" Silver Spoon nudged closer to Sweetie.

"Learning about magic and casting spells." Sweetie pressed her hooves together, teeth clenched for a moment. "Not much."

"Spells?" Silver Spoon's expression became more radiant, though not to where discovering them turned effortless. "What have you been practicing? Any spells that you've been surprised about, or is it just getting your hooves on the ground when it comes to this?"

"I've been able to teleport." Sweetie shrugged. "That's pretty much it aside from lifting tiny stuff."

"That's a great start! I'll admit, I don't know much about magic—" Silver Spoon peeked up for a second "—for obvious reasons, but it sure sounds like you're learning a lot." She caught her breath for a second. "And let me know if you discover anything exciting."

Nodding, Sweetie cracked a slight grin. "Sure! I'd love to share what I've learned with somepony!" She paused for a moment, rubbing her muzzle. "Say, how are you and Diamond Tiara getting along ever since that incident over the class election?"

"We've made amends. It's kinda weird being much nicer now, but—but it feels great. I never would've thought we'd become closer friends after all we've done to you." She paused, head hung low and sighing. "Sorry about that. If I had known beforehoof how demeaning and awful our behavior was, I'd have stopped. Di would have backed off a bit if she knew, too. She might be brash at times, but she can also be caring." Silver Spoon cracked a slight smile. "It warms my heart."

"It's okay, and I'm glad you and Diamond Tiara made up. Also, what matters most is that you're making an effort to become a better pony." Sweetie rubbed her hoof across the grass and twigs beneath her. "And yeah, it's unexpected that we're beginning friendship with you and Diamond Tiara." Sweetie giggled. "I almost clench my teeth when I see you two out of habit sometimes. No offense."

"No worries. And thanks for forgiving me." Silver Spoon twiddled her braid for a moment and chuckled in return. "Also, the world can seem so static at times, you know? But some ponies, whether it's through the course of several years or in one single moment, can change and grow into something new. Maybe you'll come out of your lessons with a new look on life. One can learn a lot from studying something, even things they never expected to discover. When I discovered my love for reading, for example, I kind of became a different pony."

Sweetie cocked her head. "I don't see there being a dramatic change outside of casting a wider variety of spells. I've been just learning magic, really."

"You'd be surprised." Silver Spoon rubbed Sweetie's back. "Did you expect me or Diamond Tiara to become better ponies over the course of a day or two? Did you think you'd no longer see us as just brats one day?"

With pursed lips, Sweetie shook her head.

"I didn't think that would happen, either." An awkward pause lingered in the air. Silver Spoon shuddered as though a ghost flew past. "Wait, shouldn't Dinky have found most of us by now? Normally, you can hear everypony who has been found mingling while they wait for the time to run out, but—but I hear nothing." She exhaled. "Dinky is also intelligent. She'd have found at least one pony by now, right?" Silver Spoon's cheeks turned pale. "And I know Dinky and directions don't mix, but you don't think she has—"

"Scootaloo warned her a billion times." Sweetie extended a foreleg and gently poked Silver Spoon's lips. "She'll be fine."

"I haven't even heard Di grumbling about being found. She usually has the worst hiding places out of anypony."

Sweetie's eyes widened, pupuls shrunk. "She hasn't? How?"

"Sounds like it." Silver Spoon crawled to the left, peeking out of the shrub. "Odd, I don't hear or see Dinky, either. Nopony is even by the fountain."

"Oh, no."

Sweetie flailed about before rolling out of the shrub. Upon being out in the open once more, she dusted herself off and trotted around the area, not a sign of life outside of the plants making themselves known. Her throat tightened, heartbeats echoing into her ears. Ponyville's other roads were the main avenues Dinky could've meandered off to, and somepony surely would've noticed a filly by her lonesome and get her back on track.

Unless—

Sweetie shifted her attention to the right. Within trotting distance was a cluster of tall, dark trees with a ragged pathway leading into the forest. Light was allergic to everything inside of the forest for all she knew, a well-known characteristic of the Everfree Forest. Some animals shuffled through the leaves, though the bunnies and other creatures at the forest's fringe were docile. Everything else inside was the stuff of nightmares, Sweetie's meeting with a cockatrice long ago being one memorable example that refused to leave her memories.

"Please don't be in the Everfree Forest," Sweetie whispered to herself. She gulped, throat tightened.

The other foals crawled out of their hiding places, all wearing tautened or pale expressions. The bright colors dimmed for a moment as if by magic, the breeze from before screeching to a halt.

Knowing her luck, however, chances were that the Everfree Forest was where Dinky unknowingly wandered off to.

"Where is she?" Scootaloo asked. She rubbed the top of her head. "She'd better not have run off to somewhere dangerous."

Sweetie twisted her head to face Scootaloo. "I-I think that's where she went," she stuttered. Her teeth chattered; the temperature felt as though it dropped to record lows. "The Everfree Forest, maybe?"

"Dinky might have a poor sense of direction, but she's not stupid," Diamond added. "I'm guessing she just got lost in town and she'll be returning with somepony soon."

"Are ya sure?" Apple Bloom retorted. With a scrunched muzzle, she made eye contact with Diamond. "She could've gone anywhere for all we know!"

"Then we form a search party!" Scootaloo announced as she placed a hoof to her chest. "Let's group up into—"

Sweetie stretched her hoof out to the group. "Wait! Shouldn't we tell an adult or somepony older than us to help out?"

"Are you crazy?" Diamond questioned. She gritted her teeth, scowling. "We'd be grounded for weeks if they found out we lost Dinky!"

"But how are we going to find her on our own? It's way too dangerous if we have to go outside of Ponyville, especially if it's into the Everfree Forest." Sweetie caught her breath. "If we're going to find Dinky, we need everypony's help. Rarity, Sunset Shimmer, Twilight Sparkle, Applejack, and many others will help us if we let them know what's going on."

Rumble raised his hoof. "I'll let Thunderlane know what's going on. And what about Spoiled—"

"Let's leave her out of this," Diamond scoffed. She squirmed for a few seconds; her cheeks puffed out to where she looked close to throwing up at the thought. "And are you sure they'll not punish us or tell Spoiled Rich about what happened? What if they gossip about it and she overhears what happened?" She quickly inhaled and exhaled. "What if Dinky's in danger?"

"They'll be nice about it." Sweetie trudged over to Diamond. It warmed her heart a little taking charge of the situation, though the context tightened her chest into a knot as well. Such sensations juxtaposed each other, but with anxiety staring her down and a possible solution by her side, she'd be foolish not pleading for help. "I promise."

Rolling her eyes, Diamond sighed. "Okay, fine! But it better work!"

Sweetie slowly nodded. Sunset Shimmer and Twilight Sparkle were talented magic users, so finding Dinky shouldn't prove too troublesome. It was whatever followed and where she ended up that cast a storm cloud over everypony. Trixie might end up helping as well if she showed up, and it was a similar story if Applejack and Rarity participated.

The odds were in their favor.

However, luck wouldn't help out if they had no time left.