• Published 1st Apr 2016
  • 1,593 Views, 148 Comments

Hoopy's Notebook - Hoopy McGee



A collection of short fiction

  • ...
8
 148
 1,593

One too many.

Author's Note:

Alternate tag for this story: Comedy

This one won't make much sense unless you've seen "The Saddle Row Review". Also, minor spoilers for "The Saddle Row Review".

"Thank you, Miss Pie. Your answers have been very... informative."

"Don't mention it!" Pinkie replied. "And thanks for paying for my lunch!"

Pinkie got up from the table to the tune of the reporter grumbling something about "expense reports" and "never again", but halfway to the door she froze. Something was triggering her "Something's weird" senses which, to be fair, went off pretty often. She turned to look at the pony who had been sitting at the table behind her, a pretty pink mare wearing a hat. Something about that mare was familiar.

"Heeeey," she said to the strange mare. "You look really familiar."

"No I don't," the other pink mare replied.

"Hmm..." Pinkie scratched her chin with a hoof. "Wait a minute! I got it! You're me!"

"No, I'm not," the pink mare replied.

"Yeeeah," Pinkie said, leaning forward and staring at her with a discerning eye. "I'm pretty sure you're me."

"I can't be you. I'm wearing a hat. You're not wearing a hat. See?" She pointed a hoof at the hat perched upon her nest of pink curls. "Hat." She pointed at the top of Pinkie's head. "No hat. We're different ponies."

"Hmm..." The other mare had a point, Pinkie eventually concluded. "I suppose you're right. Well, have a good day!"

"You too, Pinkie Pie!"

Pinkie trotted out the door of the little restaurant, humming happily. She made it almost two and a half blocks before she stopped with a loud gasp. "Wait a minute!" she exclaimed. "Anypony could buy a hat! It proves nothing!"

She charged back to the cafe and peeked in through the windows. But, aside from Plaid Stripes showing the reporter her spoon-clothes, there was nothing much of interest.

"Hmm... I wonder where that strange, beautiful mare could have gone?" Pinkie mused aloud.

~~*Another time, another place*~~

In a small, dusty room in a run-down Manehattan apartment, a bright flash of light and a noise like a thousand offended geese accompanied the sudden appearance of Pinkie Pie, who stumbled and fell flat on her face. Her hat fell off of her head and rolled on its brim across the floor until it ran into a lavender hoof.

"Welcome back, Pinkie," the owner of the hoof said.

"Thanks, Twilight," Pinkie replied as she got up off of the filthy floor, brushing dust and cobwebs out of her coat.

"Any problems?" Twilight Sparkle asked.

"Naaah, it was a snap. Past-me spotted Future-me in the cafe where I met my contact, but I thought I was a mirror clone or something." Pinkie pulled a scroll out of her saddlebags. "This is the one you needed, right?"

"Oooh, yes!" Twilight took the scroll in her magic, opened it, and began to eagerly read. "This scroll contains the spells we'll need to stop the invasion of Count Nostrilfoozle and his army of Vampire Clowns. It's been missing for so many years!"

Pinkie stared at her for a moment. "You realize that the only reason it went missing is because you sent me back in time to get it, right?"

Twilight's mouth opened, then closed again. Then it opened and hung there for a long moment before she said, "I really hate time travel."