• Published 29th Oct 2015
  • 604 Views, 80 Comments

A Different Breed of Changeling - Zoljen



A changeling whose life is torn asunder when his hive collapses and he gets thrust into a war.

  • ...
1
 80
 604

It Begins

Rime let out a small content sigh as she flew behind Talon and Crimson. Lightning Dust gave her a quick glance, chuckling softly as she looked forward again. They were on another patrol and Talon was leading this one.

“Have a nice night Rime?” Dust asked causally, making Rime falter in her flight a little as she looked over at Dust.

Rime puffed out her cheeks. “Perhaps! It doesn't concern you.”

“Whoa now, who am I talking to? Rime or Starry Skies? Sheesh,” Dust angled herself some to put up her hooves defensively as she grinned to a blushing Rime. “It was just a question.”

“Fine, yes. I had a good night,” Rime huffed, looking away. Dust chuckled, looking towards the stallions that were with them and noticed that Talon was glancing about. “Spot anything yet Talon?”

“Not ye…” He trailed off, glancing upward. “Above!” He yelled, just as a stallion crashed into his back, throwing him into a downward spiral as the other three quickly put on the brakes. Dust focused on the stallion, dashing towards him and bringing a hoof up, only to bounce off a shield and get thrown back.

Two more Shadowbolts floated down, flanking the three in the air. They floated there for a bit, glaring at each other as they waited for the others to make the first move.

Lightning Dust looked between two of them, just as the three raised their hooves, crystals glowing when a red beam shot up and struck the one that knocked Talon down. In the sudden confusion, Dust charged forward and drove her hooves into one the shadowbolts as Rime and Crimson teamed up on another one.

Talon floated up behind the one that knocked him down, grinning as the Shadowbolt quickly turned around. None of the Shadowbolts had time to question where that magic came from as the Renegades took to the offensive.

Rime took advantage of the stallion she and Crimson were attacking after being disoriented by Crimson quick attacks. She brought her hooves together to bring them down on the stallion, missing but quickly fixed that by swinging them to the left to hit the stallion in the side.

The stallion growled and floated back. “Anytime now!” he yelled, glancing up for a moment before looking back at the pair before him.

Crimson started forward, just as a deep purple and blue blur shot from the clouds above and crashed into him, taking him down quickly into the forested area below.

“Crimson!” Rime shouted, the other stallion slamming into her to get her attention.

“Eyes up here honey! You got other things to worry about, your stallion can handle himself I bet!”

Rime leveled out and growled, throwing a furious punch at the stallion before her, just for it to get caught. She was spun around and suddenly held in a tight embrace by the stallion as he leaned closer to her.

“You could return to us, and I can show you a world of fun that he can't.” The stallion cooed at her, just before yelping and tossing her away. He floated back, holding his stomach as she turned and glared daggers at him.

“I’d rather have tea with Discord than return to the Shadowbolts!” She growled as she pumped her wings, launching into another swing. Her fore hoof intentionally missing as she spun around, catching the stallion off guard as she round housed him.

The stallion grunted as he floated back, holding his side for a moment as he glared at her. The crystal floating up as he raised a hoof.

Rime just glared and flew forward, ready to deflect the beams, but they never came as a red blur came up behind the stallion. It was Crimson, right as he brought both his hooves down on the Shadowbolt to send him crashing into the forest below. Crimson winked at Rime, making her cheeks turn a light shade of pink as he flew off towards the other Shadowbolts.

Once they saw they were outnumbered, they quickly turned tail and fled. Once they teleported away, Dust floated over to Talon, noticing he was wincing slightly with each flap of his wings.

“You okay? That was a pretty solid hit.” Dust asked as she floated up to him.

“I’ll be fine,” He looked at Dust with a grin, then turned to face Rime and Crimson. “Everypony alright?” He glanced to each as they nodded back at him, his eyes stopping on Crimson for a bit longer. Something felt off about him, but he couldn't place it. He shrugged to himself. “What about that stallion that hit you, Crimson?”

Crimson waved a hoof dismissively, “Piece of cake. The Shadowbolts have rookies in their ranks.” He rotated an arm, wincing some. “Caught me off guard, but he was easy to take care of in the forest down there. Shouldn’t have followed me in, got a branch stuck in a wing.” He smirked.

Talon kept giving him a questioning look the whole time he spoke. He seemed to be thinking something as he looked Crimson over. He shook his head quickly to dismiss any thoughts and grunted. “Let's get back to base, so I can get some ice on my back.”

“Shouldn’t I be giving the orders?” Dust chuckled as they started flying back.

“I thought you Renegades didn't care about rank? Aside from Descent being the top anyway.” Talon shot back with a grin.

“Bah, spoilsport,” Dust scoffed fakely as she grinned at him.

Rime flew a little closer to Crimson as they flew back, grinning contently.


Talon grunted as he stepped out of the bunk house with a sigh, glancing back at the warm ice pack on his back. “Ugh, stupid things don't stay cold long enough.” He mumbled to himself as he picked it up. He trotted over to the mess hall and put it back in the freezer they had before starting to make his way out of the camp site.

He had spent most of the day resting his back, after Witching Hour told him to rest it and probably shouldn’t do a patrol tonight. He dismissed her advice, saying he had to as it would help with his endurance. She argued with him, telling him it was dumb to go back with a cracked back plate, but he assured her he was fine.

Lightning Dust was standing by the entry way, chatting with a light grey pegasus who has a black colored mane. They both glanced over at Talon as he trotted past.

“Where are you going?” Dust asked as she watched Talon walk on past.

“Waterfall, ice packs are doing crap for me.”

“Shouldn’t lay next to the fire place then.” Quipped the gray stallion.

“Thanks for your input Cloak. Don't worry, I’ll be back later.” Talon huffed as he walked past. “And I'm walking, as per the Doctor’s orders.”

Talon kept walking towards the waterfall, taking his time as he trotted along. After going a bit deeper into the forest, he paused and glanced over his shoulder. “I can tell you’re there, come out.”

“So the rumour is true, you are hard to sneak up on.” Cloak stepped out of the forest and trotted up to Talon, looking him over. “No bat ears, so you couldn't hear me coming.” He stopped and looked him over closer, making Talon recline back a little.

“Just, uh, sensitive hearing and smell.” Talon grinned weakly.

“So you’re saying I stink?” Cloak poked at Talon’s chest. “If so, the same could be said of you, as you stink of brimstone!”

“Ah, well… That is...uh.” Talon glanced skyward, “Oh look at the time, gotta fly!” He quickly launched into the air and took off towards the waterfall. Cloak just watched him for a bit, then shook his head and trotted back to the camp.

Talon glided along the forest canopy, letting his hooves brush along the leaves till he got to the lake. Landing by its edge, he sat and sighed. Staring into the lake as his reflection stared back at him. He grunted and stuck a hoof into the water, making ripples and disrupting the reflection.

He held the hoof in the water for a bit, glaring at the water around it as he withdrew the hoof slowly. The water clung to the hoof, only small drops escaping the large glob of water had. He had been getting much better with the water as he learned the Wonderbolt shows used all the elements.

If he was in his natural form, he’d probably just cheat and levitate the water with his magic. It wouldn't be as cool as what a true pegasus could do though. He’d seen what they could do, form clouds, streaks of water just floating there in the sky, and curl them like snakes. Even with magic he doubted he could do that.

He sat back, still focusing on the water on his hoof as he moved his other over. Clapping the two together and slowly withdrawing them, forming a water bridge between his hooves. This was a trick that Cannon Ball had told him that pegasi foals did to learn water manipulation, so they could be experts by adulthood.

He chuckled faintly to himself, by now he was probably the most talented changeling he knew of. Of course, he didn't know of any other changelings at all, but being able to manipulate fire, water, his own form, and teleport, he would be totally awesome in a show.

He slowly stood up, standing on his hind legs as he kept the water flowing between his fore legs. He kept his eyes focused on the water, rotating his hooves a little to make the water snake around his limbs. He grinned, then blinked and turned part way, the water falling from his limbs to the ground as he picked up excitement and… something else.

He fell back to all fours as he tilted his head, looking into the forest. He narrowed his eyes, trying to peer into the darkness of the forest as he focused his sense, still detecting excitement. He even took a few steps towards the forest to try and figure it out. After a few moments, Rime swaggered out with a grin that could be described as ‘yup, I did it, and it was awesome.’

“Rime? Are you okay?” Talon sat as Rime kept swaggering towards him, almost looking drunk, and that pink blush on her cheeks was only adding to that effect.

“Oh yes.” She slurred out as she flopped onto the dirt, grinning up at Talon. “I just spent the last hour… or three, who knows,” She paused to shrug, “Cuddling up to Crimson. It was awesomely delightful.”

“Uh huh,” Talon said slowly, looking Rime over. “And where did you two cuddle, exactly?”

Rime perked up, looking at Talon with a little more focus, “Oh, is somepony getting jealous? Heh heh, don't worry, I'm sure we can share.” Talon puffed out his cheeks, turning to the side with flat ears.

“Why would I be jealous? I'm just… concerned.”

“Concerned? About what?” Rime sat up, tilting her head as she studied Talon.

“I don't know, just...something seems off.” Rime poked his chest, grinning.

“You are jealous!”

“I am not!”

“Are too!”

“Not! End of discussion!” Talon huffed and turned, facing the water, crossing his arms, and grumbling to himself as Rime just snickered and sat beside him.

“So, Mr Jealous, what are you doing out here?”

“Not jealous.” He huffed, then pointed to the lake, “Practicing my water manipulation. I’m getting much better at it now.”

“Care to show me then? Since your wind is still a sneeze.” She chuckled as Talon just glared at her.

“Fine.” He stood and trotted back to the water. He sat and put his hoof back into the water, waited a bit before withdrawing it again, another glob of water on it. He clapped his hooves together, performing the same trick he just did, a little faster this time. He stood up and turned, letting the water snake over his body this time, the coolness of it running over his back, making him grin faintly.

“Definitely getting better with water,” Rime clapped, watching Talon move the snake around. He glanced at her, then glanced up a little, blinking as the water snake lost cohesion and fell to the ground. “Something wrong?”

“That!” He pointed, Rime stood up and turned around, seeing smoke rising in the distance. It looked like it was from where their base was! They were both flying off towards it in seconds.

Author's Note:

Lightning Dust Concept belongs to Calm Wind.
And look! Another character! Cloak belongs to Jim Hoxworth.