• Published 29th Oct 2015
  • 604 Views, 80 Comments

A Different Breed of Changeling - Zoljen



A changeling whose life is torn asunder when his hive collapses and he gets thrust into a war.

  • ...
1
 80
 604

Small Talk

Talon sat at the table, a cup of water before him and his hoof was circling around its edges, making the water inside spin as he moved it. He was starting to get tired of answering all these questions of changelings that Crimson and Rime were tossing him.

“So you don't feed on love?” Crimson asked, munching on some steak.

“Well, yes and no. I can, but… eh, how to describe it. A die hard fan is more tasty then a marefriend.” Talon shrugged faintly. “Admiration and gratitude are tastier than love. At least to me. Don't know about any Equestrian changeling.”

“So, what would happen if you go the Crystal Empire?” Rime asked, raising an eyebrow as she watched Talon who shrugged.

“I don't know. Same thing as Canterlot?”

“Don't know about the Crystal Heart? Spreading love to everywhere?”

“Wasn't covered in history, and I skipped out on the last two decades thanks to Fugly. So I missed Luna’s return, the Crystal Empire’s return, Discords reform, and anything else major.” Talon grumped. “Only reason I know of them, is history books.”

“Huh, so a soldier who likes to read?” Crimson raised an eyebrow.

“Knowledge is power, is it not?” Talon smirked. “Twilight Sparkle would agree.”

“That she would.” They both agreed.

“Though she was fun to meet at least.” Talon rested his head on a hoof. “After I convinced her not to shoot me...or dissect me.” He shuddered slightly.

“When did you meet her?” Rime tilted her head, raising an eyebrow.

“During my little trip to the castle to try and get a new spell book.” He shrugged. “Saw her in the hallway, then Discord felt like playing a joke. Broke my disguise right in front of her. Needless to say, chaos ensued after that.”

“I'm surprised you got away from her. She can teleport you know.”

“Oh I know. And I didn't really get away from her. I ran into the throne room and managed to convince her there. That's where I saw Discord again, it was… actually kind of terrifying being in the same room as two alicorns and a god of chaos.” Talon sighed and resumed spinning the water in his cup.

Crimson watched him, chuckling. “Getting better at water, aren't you?” Talon just nodded slightly.

“Doing this helps. It also helps with thinking too.” He mumbled.

Rime raised an eyebrow, leaning close to the changeling. “What are you thinking about?”

“Revealing myself so I can fight at my full potential.”

Crimson leaned back and put his hooves together, looking deep in thought as he looked Talon up and down. He hummed for a bit, glancing to Rime, then shaking his head towards Talon. “I wouldn't. Not yet anyway.”

“And why not?”

“Not everypony is a friend of changelings for starters. Combine that with the fact that some here are very good fighters. It wouldn't be a good idea right now.” Crimson shrugged. “We can reveal later.”

Talon nodded as Crimson asked another question. “Anything else on your mind?”

“That magic, but no answers here.” He groaned and rubbed his temples. “It's just, erg!” He growled for a moment, then sighed. “And I'm thinking too hard. I should go meditate or something.” He stood and started out the door. Crimson quickly got up and followed him.

“Mind if I tag along?”

“Why would you want to?” Talon looked at him as he walked. Crimson shrugged.

“Not like anything else is going on at this moment. I'm more curious how you're getting energy.”

Talon chuckled softly as Crimson followed.

“Seriously, I doubt there is any love in the area.”

“No, but there is plenty of excitement and gratitude in the air.”

Crimson stopped and stared at Talon, “Huh?” Talon just shook his head and took to the air.


“So, you come out here to this waterfall to, what, think?” Crimson sat on the edge of the lake, close to the waterfall that Talon liked to sit under. Talon gave a small nod from his spot under the waterfall. He was in his natural form, holding a shield above himself again and eyes closed.

“And you’re not afraid of somepony seeing you like this?”

“Nope, I could sense them coming and just change before they showed up.” Talon chuckled, opening an eye to look at Crimson.

“Hmm. Still seems unsafe to do that. There could be hikers or something else out here.”

“Out this far from Canterlot? Doubt that. Only thing I’d have to worry about is a fellow Renegade spying on me.” He eyed one of the nearby bushes subtly. “But that would only happen if they felt the urge to follow me. And from what Descent has told me, you guys are pretty much loners.”

“Right. So, what are you thinking about?”

“Aside from that magic? Just how much better I’d be if I was able to fight in my natural form.” Talon sighed.

“Wouldn't you just try to zap them like they do to us?”

Talon looked at him with a raised eyebrow, “They’d conjure shields. No point. So I’d go in with blades.”

“Blades?” Crimson tilted his head as Talon nodded, and moved out from under the waterfall. He swam over to Crimson and hopped out of the water. Holding up a hoof, he engulfed it in fire, changing it to a thin blade angled off the wrist, instead of a hoof.

“See?”

Crimson stared wide eyed at it, then looked at Talon. “Why don't other changelings do that?!”

“Because they aren't raised in a dragon empire, where war is constant. Changelings are peaceful by nature, and would rather not fight.” He shrugged, returning his hoof to normal. “Even the soldiers of the hive are like that, acting as defenders against intruders.”

“So you’re saying that it's just all of us ponies that are war crazy lunatics?”

“Hmmm, no.” Talon tipped his head to the side. “Ponies are more peaceful than drakes, or griffins. We changelings just try to be as peaceful as who we blend in with.” He turned and went back to the waterfall. “So we are just as violent as those we pretend to be.”

“Uh huh. And how do you explain what Crysalis did?” Crimson crossed his arms, watching Talon stop and look at him over his shoulder. “Because that seemed more like a lust for power than anything else.”

“To be honest? I don't know. If I was actually here for it, then I’d try to fight her, tell her she was wrong and stupid.” He sighed, dropping his shoulders a little. “Because now it is hard for anypony to trust my kind.”

“I trust you.”

Talon tilted his head at Crimson, then glanced to the bush again. “Ok, if that's true. Do you believe me when I say we are being spied on?”

Crimson raised an eyebrow, “How so?”

“Hmm, if my hunch is correct…” He smirked, looking directly at the bush. “I could zap you out of there, Rime Shadow.”

After a minute of silence, Rime did indeed step out, blushing some and looking down at the ground. “Can't sneak up on a changeling, can you?”

Talon chuckled and resumed going to the waterfall. “Actually, you can. It's just somewhat difficult to do.” He shrugged and remade his barrier, sitting under the water again. “Catch them in the big city, or somewhere where there is a lot of emotion going on. Too much of a thing blocks it.”

“So in a giant air fight…?”

“A harvester would be useless. They can lower their senses, but not focus it around them. A bit complicated to explain how to do it in an open area like this though.” Talon smirked as he closed his eyes. “You two have some talking to do.”

“Huh?” Crimson tilted his head, looking towards a blushing Rime.

“You also can't hide feelings from a changeling. Although they aren't directed at him.” Rime glared at Talon for a moment, then turned to Crimson.

“Nope, if they were, I’d say no.”

“Isn't love a powerful emotion that would provide you with a lot of energy?” Crimson asked before Rime could say anything.

“Yes, but I wouldn't want the risks involved. Like losing a good source of power, could be really bad in a fight.” Talon nodded sagely. “That and she’s not looking at me anyway.” He angled the shield above him to let the water flow in front, covering himself with the water. “Pretend I'm not here.”

Crimson just stared at where Talon was, then looked at Rime who was looking back at him.

“Walk with me.” She turned and started away from the lake. Crimson looked confused, following after her. They walked along in silence for a good half hour before Crimson finally sighed.

“What is it?”

“How long have we known each other?” Rime asked out of the blue, making Crimson look at her.

“A few years I’d say. We both joined the Shadowbolts at about the same time and worked with each other a lot. Why?”

“And we both defected when Descent did. Did you ever think there was a good reason I enjoyed working beside you?” Rime kept looking at the ground as she spoke, letting her mane cover part of her face.

“We make a good team. I'm quicker with light attacks that can disorient ponies and you come in and finish them off with powerful blows.” He grinned, standing proudly.

“Man, are all stallions just dense?” Rime sighed, turning to face him with a blush. “I like you! I really like you!” Crimson just blinked as Rime pushed herself towards him, “I have liked you for the last year. You’re great to work with, you know how make me laugh, you… erg!” She turned and sat, facing away from him as her blush only grew.

“But...I…” Crimson stammered, looking down, then grinned as he looked up at her. “Huh. I guess stallions are dense,” he stepped forward and hugged her from behind, making her squeak in surprise. “But you are good company. Maybe after all this Shadowbolt crap is over we can settle down somewhere.”

She leaned back into him with a nod, “Just don't die on me, or I'm kicking your wing feathers to Celestia’s shiny plot, got it?”

“Yes ma’am.”

Author's Note:

Just a bit of character development and learning more about my changelings before the fun really begins!