• Published 29th Oct 2015
  • 604 Views, 80 Comments

A Different Breed of Changeling - Zoljen



A changeling whose life is torn asunder when his hive collapses and he gets thrust into a war.

  • ...
1
 80
 604

Element Mastery

“Okay, you’re just showing off now, Talon,” the mare said with a huff as the pegasus-disguised changeling before her was bathed in a fireball, making her ice blue fur almost seem orange by the light. She crossed her arms and glared at the stallion before her.

“Hey, how did I know that I’d take to fire so well?” Talon grinned at her, holding his arms out and collecting the fire before him as he hovered a foot or so off the ground. Crimson shook his head as he glanced at the mare.

“Have to admit, Rime, He takes to fire better than any other element. At least he can somewhat use lightning.” Crimson chuckled and poked the mare. “Far better than water.”

“His wings are like swiss cheese. He can't manipulate wind at all.” Rime snorted and glared at Crimson.

Talon landed and held a hoof out, letting the fire collect in it before he shook it about to put out the flames. “Heh, about that…” He shook out his wings a little, “Where I am from, we didn't really manipulate the elements much, or at least I didn't.”

“And yet you’re a natural with fire.”

“Go figure, huh?” Talon shrugged with a huge grin. “You could say I breathe the stuff.” They both rolled their eyes.

“Well, at least the rest of your training has been progressing smoothly.” Crimson chuckled, “Finally knocking me on my plot now when we spar.” Rime stared at Crimson.

“We’ve been training this whelp for the past few weeks? Why? I thought he was part of some secret section of the Shadowbolts!” She turned to face Crimson directly, throwing a hoof out at Talon.

“Well, perhaps he is, perhaps he isn't. Who cares at this point? He is another set of hooves to fight those loonies!” Crimson growled back at her. “And when they are wielding magic from crystals, we could use all the help we can get!”

“So he can fight, big deal. Can he deflect magic like we can?” Rime glared at Talon, who stepped back with a weak grin. “Well? Can you?”

“Yes, actually. That skill was passed down in my family for generations since the Changeling War.” Talon sat and raised his hooves defensively, “I’d show you that I can, but no unicorns around. And you can't shoot magic.” He pointed at Rime whom grumped back at him.

“Fair point, we won't know until you actually join us on a patrol, when will that be anyway?”

“Descent said he’d test me soon. See if I could actually land a blow on him.” Talon shrugged. “I think he said he’d do it when I least expect it, so with him it could very well be tomorrow that he’d kick my tail.”

“That I’d like to see,” Rime chuckled softly. “Celestia knows we see Crimson here beat it enough.”

“Hey! As I just said, he’s getting better!” Crimson walked up and poked at Talon. “It's almost an even ratio of tail-kicking now.”

Rime snorted and glared at Talon, “I’ll be the judge of that. If he can fight half as well as you say, Crimson. Then he may stand a chance against the commanders.”

“You mean those ten pegasi who use that fake magic the best?” Talon tipped his head back. “Not all at once, but maybe one on one. But I still find it hard to believe that pegasi are using magic externally, it's just...weird.” This coming from a changeling, thought Talon.

“Well, enough talk about crazy ponies. I'm hungry! Let’s go eat, shall we?” Crimson said with a grin as he draped an arm over Rime. Crimson didn't notice the faint blush appear on Rime’s cheeks, but Talon noticed a little more and just faintly smirked.

“Yes, food does sound good. Lead the way you two.”


Talon blinked as he side stepped away from a dark grey hoof, and quickly brought his own arms up to block another swing. He grinned as he shook off this blow and stepped back, throwing a punch forward, which his attacker effortlessly dodged.

Two days had passed since he learned that manipulating fire like that barely cost any energy, as compared to using his magic. He took the next day to practice it as best he could at his spot by the lake, and the twins had watched him as he used what had learned of martial arts and mixed it with fire. They reported it to Descent, and today, the stallion felt Talon was ready to earn his wings.

And boy was Descent testing him, barely a minute after arriving back at the lake this morning, he started throwing punches at him. Talon kept dodging and blocking what he could, but it was starting to wear thin being on the defensive.

“Going to bring out those blades changeling?” Descent snarled at him. The only other ones around was Blazetail and Bomber. They were both sitting by the lake as Descent and Talon threw blows at each other.

Talon smirked, letting his pegasus disguise fall as he ducked and bounced to the right. He brought a bladeless hoof up, expecting it to get deflected, and as it happened he swung his left around with a small blade for a hoof.

Descent dodged the swing and thrust a hoof forward, landing it squarely in Talon’s side. He grunted and slid back, but barely stayed there as he took another swing at Descent. This time he brought his right hoof down, a short blade in it's place which Descent blocked and held.

“You’re getting better at your changes, I didn't even notice you make that one.” Descent wore a faint grin as he watched the changeling before him thrust his left arm forward, a blade pointing forward on it instead of downward. Descent deflected this one and turned, twisting the arm he held as he threw the changeling over head and towards the lake.

Talon used the momentum of the throw to get into the air, pumping his wings to get some sky as he turned around, already seeing Descent rushing at him.

“But you're still not using all of your magic!” Descent growled as he thrust forward, blinking as Talon faded from view. He quickly rolled over part way, putting his arms in an X as he blocked a punch from the changeling.

“Damn!” Talon winced as he felt his non bladed hoof blow connect with the arms. Descent took that moment to kick him in the face with a leg, sending the changeling plummeting towards the water.

Talon glanced towards the water, opening his mouth slightly as a little fire rolled out. He closed his wings as he splashed into the water, sending a huge wave up as he went under. Descent floated above it and watched the water. The disruption from the dive made it hard to tell where the changeling had gone.

He kept scanning the water, and soon noticed a pair of tiny beams erupt from it. He quickly brought his hooves up, but the beams went past him and dissipated behind him. He watched them for a moment, then looked back at the water, noticing it was calm.

“Okay. I know your water manipulation is poor. What's your, ERK!” He quickly spun in the air, dodging a blow from his side as the changeling threw a surprise punch. Descent quickly grabbed his arm and looked at the changeling who was wearing a shocked expression.

“Close, I’ll give you that.” Descent said, as he threw the changeling towards the ground this time. Talon grunted as he landed and bounced a few times from the throw. He groaned as he slowly stood up, wincing as he heard Descent land next to him. He looked up just in time to see Descent throw another punch and closed his eyes, expecting the blow to connect.

After a moment of silence, he opened them and saw a hoof a few inches from his face. He squeaked and flopped back as Descent withdrew the hoof.

“And you’d be dead now,” he paused, “If your little stunt there hadn’t worked. That was clever.” Descent held his hoof out, letting Talon cautiously take it and stand back up. “How’d you do it?”

Talon smirked faintly, “A magician never reveals his secrets.”

“He used your distraction from his magic to fly up. I barely saw him as he erupted from the water with the magic from near the waterfall.” Blazetail smirked from off to the side. “Have to admit, that was clever.”

“Heh heh heh, changeling full of surprises.” Bomber grinned widely.

“Well, I’d say he’s ready to wear our colors then.” Descent looked over Talon for a moment, then back to Blazetail. “Where is your wife with his vest?”

“Vest?” Talon tilted his head, retaking his pegasus form as he did so.

“You shape change. I figured a vest works better for you then our full uniform. You still get the goggles and tassel, of course.” Descent nodded as he trotted over to them with Talon following up.

“Afraid I’d tear the outfit?”

“Yes.” Descent said flatly.

“Don't know about his crest though with the goggles.” A new voice made them all look skyward as Flash Wind landed beside them with a small satchel on her back. She trotted up to them and handed off the satchel to Talon, “I am assuming he passed your inspection.”

“Almost landed a few blows.” Blazetail smirked as he watched Talon open the satchel and hold out the vest.

“Huh, I don't know if a red can pull off this look.” He smirked as he slipped on the vest, “Maybe a black could though.” He chuckled softly as he slipped on the goggles and tied the tassel. The other pegasi just shook their heads.

Author's Note:

Hey look! Another OC! Rime Shadow! The icey mare who has the hots for a certain stallion!

Descent, Blazetail, Flash Wind, and Bomber are all Calm Wind's.