• Published 27th Oct 2015
  • 2,004 Views, 39 Comments

Jurassic World: Jurassic Pony IV - mistercokehold8



With a new owner and new name, is history doomed to repeat itself after twenty two years?

  • ...
6
 39
 2,004

The Raptor Handler

Located on the other side of the island was a special pen that wasnt for tourist. It was here for one reason: hold species of dinosaurs in it with no chance of escape. The majority of the time however it held one species....

Inside the pen a piglet was running for its life, squealing as it ran. The rapid footfalls, and hungry growls of a Velociraptor aren't far behind, quickly joined by three more. As the raptors break from the dense foliage of their pen into the open a male pony voice calls out.

"Hold!” That voice stopped the raptors in their tracks, the lead one tapping the ground with its driver claw in aggravation while the pig escapes into a small compartment that slides shut behind it. High above on a crosswalk stands a blue cyber pony with an equine mechanical tail. His forehooves have extendable fingers which he uses to hold a small plastic device in his left hand, and he raises the right over his head. He clicks the device rapidly.

"Okay, all eyes on me... Blue? Blue!" He eyes the raptor at the front of the group, distinctive for the blue streaks down her face, and flanks. The four Raptors hissed and snarled up at the pony, but surprisingly came to a stop. "Hey! Don't give me any of that crap! He snapped at them. "Blue, eyes on me! Charlie, square it up! That's it Delta..."

When he's sure he has their undivided attention he clicks the clicker rapidly. "Good... Aaaaannnnd we're moving!" He starts walking to the intersection of the catwalk, and the raptors keep their eyes trained on him. They take a few snaps at each other when they get too close, but otherwise keep their focus on Shooting Star.

He stops in front of a bucket connected to the railing, and eyes the formation of a perfect square the raptors make as they stare intently at him. "Goooood," he calls, and Blue curls her lip a little at him in as he clicks the clicker rapidly.

Using his magic he pulls out segments of flesh one at a time, tossing them to the raptors like treats. "Very good Delta, Echo, Charlie... And Blue?" The Beta female raptor's eyes bulge a bit as he pulls out a large whole white rat. "...This one's for you," Shooting Star says with a nod, and tosses it to her. She happily snaps it up right out of the air.

"Okay," he calls, clicking the device to get their attention again. "Eyes up!" He raises a hand with a palm up, and on cue the raptors all stand a little taller. "Aaaaaannnnddd... Go!"

He drops his right foreleg, and the raptors take off as a group, free from their training exercise. Shooting Star smiles as he drops to all fours, pocketing the clicker. Off to the side on the cat walk several workers began applauding on how Shooting handled the Raptors.

"Shooting you finally did it man!" The pony's partner, an all too familiar dragon to Ponyville, the now teenage Spike said happily, patting the pony on the back. He was now tall enough to stand nose to snout with the pony. Shooting Star rolls his eyes.

"Spike, please just call me Shotty, we're pals aren't we?" The years have done the dragon well, making a bit above eye level with the average pony, and while not exactly rippling with muscle there is not an ounce of pudgy baby fat on him anymore.

"You finally got em." Spike said, looking down at the Raptors, padding around the pen.

"Shooting! Spike!" Both dragon and pony looked up as a rather tall bull came marching forward. "I was starting to think I hired the wrong guys... but, damn, you got them eating out of your hooves and claws." Iron Will said.

"You caught us on a good day," Shooting said, walking for the end of the catwalk.

"It's not usually a happy ending." Spike said, clearly not happy with the bull's present.

"Is that why you're not sending in your reports?" Will asked.

"Not too busy to cash your paychecks." Will said, taking a playful slug to the arm at Spike. The pony and dragon simply looked at him with mildly annoyed looks. Shotty shakes it off, and puts on a friendly smile.

"So what do you need buddy?" Will return the smile.

"A field test." He frowned when Shooting started walking away. "Hey. I've just seen they can respond to commands. We need to take the research and get it on its feet!"

"Iron Will, knowing these things run in my family, that is why DeLance trusted me of all ponies to know how to handle them. And you want me to let them loose in the open?"

"I just saw a bond. A real bond. Between pony and beast." Will said, stopping directly in front of Shotty's path. Shotty stops, just giving him an annoyed look. Iron will could probably handle getting stabbed by a raptor claw, right? So tempting...

"Come on. We're the same. We're dogs of war." Will said. "We know that the military needs to reduce casualties. Some people think that robots are the future. Look, nature gave us the most effective killing machines 75 million years ago." The bull looked down at the Raptors. "And now we know they can take orders."

"We finally make progress and what's the first thing he says? Make a weapon." Spike said annoyed. Shotty shook his head.

"Iron Will, these are wild animals, you don't want hem running loose."

"Come on, gents. It's grown-up time." Will argued. "Drones can't search tunnels and caves. And they're hackable. The minute a real war breaks out, all that fancy tech is gonna go dark."

"Yeah, but all that fancy tech won't eat them if they forget to feed it," Shotty deadpans.

"Look at these creatures!" Iron Will motioned to the Raptors, Blue looking up right a them. "They've got millions of years of instinct in their cells, instinct that we can program. Their loyalty cannot be bought. These guys are gonna run straight into the enemy's teeth and eat them...belt buckle and all."

"And what if they decide they don't want to be controlled?" Spike crosses his arms with a frown.

"Then we remind them who is. We terminate the rogues. Promote only loyal bloodlines." Iron Will said casually. Both the dragon and pony began chuckling at the comment. "What? What's so funny?” Shotty shakes his head as he levitates another bucket, turns, and heads down some stairs on the outside of the paddock.

“Just that you spend so much time hovering around here, and you only learn what you want to know. DeLance didn't make this park so he could make weapons."

"We're sitting on a goldmine. And Delance is using it to stock a petting zoo!"

"How long has InGen been practicing this pitch?"

"Since the day we hired you. You think that the 8th richest pony in the world... is only into oil, telecom and family fun parks? He's so diversified, he doesn't even know what he owns." Will said, trying to make the pony see his logic. "You knew the end game. These animals can replace thousands of boots on the ground. How many lives would that save?" Shooting pushed the button to open the gate to the holding cage right outside the raptor pen, before locking it behind him so Will couldn't follow.

"War is part of nature. Look around, Shooting. Every living thing in this jungle... is trying to murder the other. Mother Nature's way of testing her creations. Refining the pecking order. War is a struggle. Struggle breeds greatness. Without that... we end up with places like this, charge seven bits a soda." Shotty shakes his head, and looks over his shoulder at Iron Will through the thick chain link seep rating them while he fine tunes some holding restraint cages they typically use to give the raptors medical checkups.

"Do you hear yourself when you talk?" Will looked at the cyber pony with a serious look.

"This is gonna happen. With or without you boys. Progress always wins, man." Shotty puts down the bucket, walks over, and rears up before leaning on the fence.

"Well maybe progress should lose for once." Before Will could respond there was a commotion coming from the catwalk above them.

"Pig loose! Pig loose!" A worker called out, reaching down a pole with a loop on it to capture the escaped squealing pig. The loop is barely around the swine's neck when a raptor streaks out, snatching the pig up right from underneath Featherweight, and yanking him over the rail and sending him crash landing into the paddock. The other raptors notice, and start giving their hunting calls. Shotty pales, hitting a button with his magic to open the door into the paddock as he charges in, sliding on his belly to get in as soon as possible as the door of thick bars slides upwards.

"Shooting no!!!" Spike yelled as workers up above aimed their rifles. The dragon quickly let himself into the cage the pony just left.

"Wait!" Shooting used his cyber limbs as he puts himself between the carnivores, and the ever unfortunate Featherweight. "Hold your fire! You put twelve amps in these animals they're never going to trust me again…" He fixes his eyes on Blue who naturally is leading the advance with Delta, and Echo as Charlie hangs back for support. "Blue," he says calmly. "Stand down... Stand down..." Spike stopped the gate from sliding up any further, reaching in and pulling Featherweight to safety.

The Raptors hissed and snarled at the pony in front of them, but didnt advance further. "Blue, back off," he says soothingly. The lead raptor however snapped at him in an attempt to intimidate him. "Hey! What did I just say?!" His tone becomes stern as he glares at her, slowly backing towards the door out. "Alright... Delta, I see you, you better back off! Charlie you stay right there... Spike...Close the door."

"Are you crazy?!" Spike said, highly concerned.

"Trust me Spike, just do it."

"Close the gate!" Featherweight panted. Against better judgement, Spike slammed his hand on the button, causing the gate to slowly lower. Shooting takes one more step back, and dives for safety just as the gate gets too closed for Raptors to get through. The four Raptors rammed against the gate, hissing and snarling at the ponies and dragon. Spike pulled Shooting back onto his hooves. Shooting sighed in relief, leaning on Spike with a smile of a pony that just escaped death.

"You showed them business." Spike said as Featherweight panted on the ground. Shooting sighs as he looks down as the slender pony.

"You're the new guy right?"

"Yeah...." Feather said.

"Well you ever wonder why there was an opening." He raises an eyebrow as he lets that sink in. "And don't turn your back to the cages." Feather gulped, before turning behind him and seeing a Raptor staring right at him, her teeth showing. Outside the cage Iron Will looked on, giving Shooting one last look before walking off to continue his work. He was determined to get his way.