• Published 28th Oct 2015
  • 6,054 Views, 150 Comments

Freeport Venture: The Hunted - Chengar Qordath



Eleven and a half year old changeling Kukri Doo is hunted by a monster stalking her in the night. Will her friend Sunset Shimmer be able to save her in time?

  • ...
19
 150
 6,054

The Monster in The Dark

This one has always enjoyed evenings in Freeport. While it is far too young to take part in the city’s famed nightlife, there is something enticing about the thought that there is an entire new world which emerges once the sun goes down. This one would often open its window late at night, when it was supposed to be asleep to watch the city. It always regretted when its family’s business required it to go to the clan-held islands. Much as it enjoys spending time amongst its kin, the Doo clanhold does not come alive at night the way Freeport does.

In particular, this one enjoyed watching the city when troubling itself with difficult matters. Tonight, this one struggled with the question of how best to approach its parents on the matter of the Shimmer-mare. It hoped to take lessons in the magical arts from Freeport’s new magus, but was uncertain how to broach the subject to its parents. While changeling magic (whether Free Mind or drone) is not identical to unicorn magic, there is much the Shimmer-mare might yet teach this one. A changeling could hardly imitate a unicorn without appearing to copy their magic too, after all. Not to mention magical fields like alchemy and runes functioned regardless of the caster’s species.

However, this one’s parents had not even met the Shimmer-mare yet. All they truly knew of her was that this one had spent several days in captivity due to being her friend, which did not dispose them favorably towards her. This one feared that they might consider her a ‘bad influence’ despite this one’s assurances that the Shimmer-mare was brave, heroic, and brilliant.

As this one stared out into the night and pondered its problems, it spotted a cloaked form moving up the street. It watched with idle curiosity until the figure passed near a lamp, and this one saw light glinting off black carapace. This one’s breath caught in its throat as the figure drew nearer and nearer its home until at last it trotted up to the front door, reaching into its cloak and drawing out keys.

This one immediately rushed down the stairs to the front door, positioning itself to the side. Then it waited, stilling its breath and doing nothing that might give away its presence as the locks clicked and the door slowly creaked upon. When the cloaked figure entered this one’s home, this one pounced at the newcomer.

The figure immediately snatched this one out of the air, spinning it about and pinning it to the floor. An instant later there was a blade at this one’s throat. This one stared at the weapon, its limbs turning leaden from shock and sudden fear.

The cloaked figure stared down at this one for a long moment, then blinked and pulled back, hastily removing the knife from this one’s throat. “Kukri? Don’t do that! This one thought you were—” She shook her head, quickly putting away her weapons and shutting the door behind her, locking it and shaking her head. “Sorry. This one is sorry, sister. It did not mean to frighten you when you merely sought to welcome it home. Where are Mom and Dad?”

This one rose to its hooves, still trembling from its brush with death. Its sister had sparred and playfully wrestled with it before, but it had never seen her employing the full extent of her skills. It is one thing to know that one’s sister is an assassin, and quite another to nearly find oneself on the sharp end of her blades. This one would certainly never attempt to surprise hug its sister again.

This one took a moment to calm itself, then answered its sister’s question. “This one apologizes for startling you. Our parents are—”

The rest of this one’s response became moot as it heard hooves striking the ceiling, or rather the floor of its parents’ bedroom. This one surmised that it and its sister were making enough noise to have disturbed them.

Kunai grabbed this one, shoving it behind her and placing herself between this one and the stairs, one hoof resting over her sheathed weapon. She chanced the barest of glances back at this one before returning her attention to the stairwell. “Please tell this one that our parents are upstairs.”

This one stared at its sister, quite bemused by her question. “Who else would be in their bedroom at this time of night?”

Kunai grimaced and said nothing. Moments later, this one’s mother descended the stairs, a brown foreleg rubbing at her eyes and brushing back a sleep-tousled red mane, her wings tucked against her sides. “Kunai? I thought I heard your voice. When did you get back?”

Kunai untensed, removing her hooves from her weapons. “Just now.” Her eyes flicked up the stairs, her voice deadly serious. “Has anyone else come here already? Where's Dad?”

This one’s father came down the stairs in his natural changeling form, right behind Mom. “This one is right here. What's going on?”

“You're in danger.” Kunai quickly circled the room, ensuring that all the windows and doors were locked and the blinds were drawn. This one’s mother began to light a candle, but Kunai trotted over and blew it out. “As soon as it’s daylight, you need to head back to clan territory. Preferably the main compound out in our islands.”

Dad blinked in surprise, then grimaced. “What happened? Did something go wrong with your job?”

“In a manner of speaking.” Kunai sighed and removed her cloak, trotting to the kitchen to retrieve a bottle of rum. After using her fangs to remove the top, she took a long pull from it, then sighed. “This one's mark suspected that he was being hunted, and had hired a bodyguard. From the Strikers. This one was unable to reach its mark without going through the Striker, and she refused to stand aside or acknowledge her defeat in an honor duel. This one had no choice.”

Mom’s eyes widened in shock. “You killed a Striker?”

Kunai nodded, then drank from her bottle once more. “This one had an obligation to fulfill its contract. It took every reasonable measure it could to do so without slaying a pony from our clan’s closest ally, but she refused to give ground. If this one did not slay the Striker, it would have failed in its mission.”

Dad groaned and ran a hoof along his face. “Damn it all. This one supposes your pay from the mission will have to go to the Strikers as blood money then.”

Kunai sighed and shook her head. “This one offered as much, but Cold Striker refused to accept it. He called this one a liar when it claimed that it had done all it reasonably could to spare his sister’s life while fulfilling its contract.” Kunai began pacing about the room, inspecting the doors and windows once more. “The only witness to our battle was my target, and this one left him in no condition to testify. This one only had its own words to offer in defense of its actions, and Cold would not hear them.” Her pacing brought her to this one’s side, and she placed an insectoid wing over its shoulders. “This one can almost understand his reasons. If this one’s sister were slain, it would not wish to believe she had brought it upon herself.”

This one pressed against Kunai’s side, wrapping both its forelegs around one of hers. “And now you fear that the Striker wishes to kill you for revenge?”

“Refusing to accept blood money would indicate as much.” She paused a moment, then bared her fangs and glared out the window. “But this one does not fear that he will strike at it. Rather, it fears that he will strike the rest of you.”

Mom grimaced, but Dad quickly put a hoof on her shoulder, shaking his head. “The clan leadership would never let that happen. It would be the start of an all-out blood feud. It could even destroy the alliance between the Doos and the Strikers.”

“The Striker mater advised Cold to take the blood money,” Kunai grunted. “He refused her advice. And even if he acts without any further support from his clan, a single pony can still do far too much damage with a knife in the dark.”

Mom nodded grimly. “And the Strikers won't imprison one of their own just for being angry at the death of a family member. They’re probably hoping that after a couple days he’ll calm down, accept the blood money, and everyone will just move on and forget about it.”

“Perhaps so,” Kunai allowed. “Or perhaps she simply agrees with his doubts in this one’s version of events, and thus sees little reason to risk her clan’s anger by imprisoning him.”

Dad’s hoof cut through the air, ending the conversation. “It hardly matters why the Strikers aren’t locking Cold up—the important fact is that he might be out for revenge.”

“Exactly.” Kunai agreed. “Freeport is not safe. The city’s condottieri are too easily paid to turn a blind eye, and he could even hire them to do the dirty work for him. He might be a rich, fat merchant I could take apart in five seconds in a straight fight, but he has enough gold to be above the law.” She grimaced and shook her head. “Not to mention that there’s no law against him hiring several thugs and having them all walk up to your front door. Even if the condottieri all did their jobs, they’d be minutes away in a situation where seconds count. This one would feel much more at ease if you were within the clanhold, where the guards care more for honor than coins.” Kunai’s eyes darkened. “Not to mention that he would have to be mad to attack a Doo on Doo territory. His own clan would hardly be able to ignore such a crime, and nobody would be foolish enough to believe any claim that he was not involved.”

Dad took a breath, then slowly let it out and nodded. “Better safe than sorry. This one will arrange for us to go back to the clanhold on the first ship in the morning.” Sister was about to object, but he held up a hoof to cut her off. “Finding passage to the isles this late at night will not be easy, and wandering Freeport’s streets in the wee hours is more dangerous than remaining in our home.”

This one could not remain silent as plans were made around it. “But this one was supposed to see Sunset tomorrow afternoon!”

Mom sighed patiently. “Staying safe is more important than visiting your friends, dear.”

Kunai nodded sharply. “If she is truly your friend, she will understand that. And there is no reason she cannot come to the clanhold and visit you.”

“This one supposes that is true...”

Kunai dropped to her knees, looking this one in the eyes. “This one will make it up to you. Promise. As soon as this is over, it will take a week off of work, and you can introduce it to all of your friends. Okay?”

“Okay,” this one reluctantly agreed.

“Good.” This one’s sister pulled it in for another hug. “This one loves you, little sister. It will be back before you know it.”

This one returned the hug, clutching its sister almost desperately. It did not wish for her to leave, not when it knew that there was a pony out there who would stop at nothing to see its sister dead. “Be safe, Kunai.”

“Of course.” She grinned and poked this one in the chest. “And don’t get in any trouble while this one is gone, grub.”

“This one is not a grub!” it protested vehemently. “This one is eleven and a half years old!”

“You’ll always be a grub to me, grub.” She slowly broke the hug. “Just stay safe, okay?” Her head fell slightly. “That is why this one must leave so quickly. It would prefer to be far away from its family when Cold seeks it out for vengeance.”

Without another word, Kunai slipped out into the night, locking the door behind her.


This one could not return to sleep after Kunai’s visit, even though it was many hours before this one would normally awaken. This one’s sister was in danger. How could it sleep knowing that she might be fighting for her life at that very moment? This one wished it could do something to help keep her safe, and its heart was all the more burdened because it knew that there was nothing it could do.

This one does not like being a child, and would enjoy reaching adulthood as soon as possible. Then it could spend all day with its sister or the Shimmer-mare instead of obeying its parents, and would be better able to aid all of them.

And so this one could do nothing but stare out its window at the city once more, vainly searching for some sign of its sister. It did not truly expect to find her—Kunai was very hard to see when she did not wish to be seen—but what else could it do?

This one cannot say how long it stared out the window, worrying about its sister while sleep eluded it. It could only think that it should have hugged its sister one more time before she departed, or mention that it loved her. If only this one had...

This one’s ears shot up. The room was silent, the outside world sealed out by the window. Dad had fixed the cracks in the caulking last year after a long wet season, so the odd flutter of its curtains in the wind had long ago stopped. The sheets were still, but something was … off. It had almost convinced itself that its feelings were nothing but misplaced concern for its sister when a ghost of a whisper drifted into the room, so gently that this one could have mistaken it for nothing more than the usual nightly noise.

“Kukri...”

This one’s eyes shot open, its ears perking up and vainly turning about in an effort to find the sound’s source. When several further seconds passed with no more noises, this one dismissed it as nothing but a trick of its half-asleep mind.

“Kukri Doo...”

The sound was much clearer now. Too clear to be mistaken for anything else. This one pulled its covers tighter around itself, trying to convince itself that the sounds were nothing more than its imagination, even though it knew otherwise.

Something thumped down on the roof above it. Four thumps, each following so closely in succession that it might have been mistaken for a single sound. The voice returned, no longer a ghostly whisper but a deep, guttural growl letting out an almost mocking singsong. “Kukri, Kukri, Kukri Doo. I see youuuuuu.”

A tiny, frightened whimper escaped this one’s lips despite its best efforts to restrain it. It could no longer pretend that it was safe. There was a monster in its room. “Moh, Mom.” It gasped out, barely able to manage more than a whisper. “Mom? Dad?”

There was a mocking throaty chuckle. “Ah, little child. Your parents can’t help you now. I ate your precious little mommy’s liver five minutes ago, right after I feasted upon your daddy’s eyes. They were delicious. And now it's just you. And me. Alone. In the Dark.”

“Y-you're lying!” This one did not—could not believe the Monster’s words. Its voice rose up to a high-pitched scream. “Mom! MOOOOM!”

For a terrifying moment nothing happened, just deadly silence hanging in the air after this one’s frantic cries. Could it possibly be true? Was Mom really dead?

Then the door burst open, and Mom rushed over to this one’s bedside. “Kukri! What's wrong?!”

This one bolted out of bed, hurling itself into Mom’s protective embrace. “S-someone's here! Something's here and it's—this one needs to get out of here now, please! The Monster said it hurt you and—”

Mom held this one, her hooves gently and reassuringly circling along its back. “There there, sweetie. I'm sure it was just a bad dream. I’m okay, and your dad’s okay too. Everything’s just fine now.”

For a moment this one wondered if perhaps she was right. If this one had simply dozed off and had a bad dream. It certainly preferred to believe that was the truth. And so this one smiled at Mom as best it could. “Yes. Alright. This ... this one just had a bad dream.” This one hoped that if it said that enough times, it would believe it.

Mom sighed and slowly released the hug, patting this one on the back. “I suppose it’s no surprise, with everything that’s going on. But you’ll be fine; you don’t have to be scared of a silly little nightmare.”

Just as this one finally allowed itself to relax and believe that it really had just been a dream, the voice returned. “Oh, you do have to be afraid of nightmares. You really do.”

Mom’s eyes widened and she grabbed this one, all but hurling it out of its own bedroom. As soon as this one was past the door and into the hallway one of her hind legs lashed out, kicking the door shut behind her.

This one’s mother was alone in its room. Alone with the Monster.

“Mom! No!” This one scrambled back to its hooves then rushed to the door. The knob slipped out of its grip as it desperately tried to grasp it. “No!”

An instant later this one’s father was there, grabbing this one and trying to pull it away from the door. “Dad! HELP! Something's in there with Mom! The Monster’s gonna get her if we don’t—”

The window banged open loudly enough that this one could hear it through the closed bedroom door. All this one could think was that the Monster had finally attacked. It had come in through the window and now it had gotten Mom. And after it would get Dad, and then this one and this one’s sister and...

“Mom!” This one squirmed, wriggled, and managed to worm its way free of Dad’s hold. It rushed to the door and threw it open. “Mom! Mom?!

The window hung wide open now, a thin shaft of moonlight lancing in while the curtains wafted gently in the night breeze. There was no sign of this one’s mother anywhere in the room. In fact, aside from the open window this one’s room looked precisely as it had left it. Yet now this one’s eyes lingered on every single shadow, wondering if the space beneath this one’s nightstand or the half-open closet door might conceal the hidden creature waiting to pounce.

A powerful arm grabbed this one from behind and hauled it backwards. “Aaaarrrr—”

“It’s me, Kukri!” Dad hissed under his breath.

For a moment this one was relieved, until it noted Dad’s odd choice of words. ‘Me.’ Not ‘this one.’ Was Dad being imprecise in the midst of a tense situation, or could it be something else? What if the Monster had gotten Dad? What if it was pretending to be Dad now? Such things were possible—this one is a changeling, after all.

“No!” This one’s hind leg lashed out, catching Dad—or the thing pretending to be him—in the stomach. “Let go of this one!”

Before this one could free itself there was another thump on the roof, and this one froze. It was on the roof now! It had Mom, and now it was on the roof! Dad’s hold tightened on this one, and this one no longer tried to escape him. There was another thump, then another, and they continued until it seemed as if they were right over this one’s head, pounding down as if the Monster intended to smash down through the roof and snatch this one up through the hole.

Then the sounds shifted away, growing fainter as whatever was on the roof began moving down the slope. This one almost did not realize what was happening until it noticed that the thumps were slowly moving towards the open window. This one knew it should rush to the window and slam it shut to keep the thing from getting in, but even if Dad were not holding it still, it could not have forced itself to move. It was paralyzed as efficiently as if it had been bitten by one of the poisonous snakes that lived on some of the outer islands.

There was a final thump, then a rustle as a shadow-cloaked form swooped in through the open window. This one screamed, shutting its eyes in a desperate attempt to block out the Monster before it struck.

“Whoa! Easy, Kukri, it’s just me.” This one slowly opened its eyes, and found Mom standing before it once more. She gave this one a reassuring squeeze on the shoulder. “Whatever it was, it’s gone now. I chased it off.”

This one clung to Dad’s leg, still too frightened to let go of him. “M-Mom? Is that ... y-you're okay, right?”

“Fine.” She smiled reassuringly, though it did not reach her eyes. “I bet whoever it was, they were so scared when I came out after them that they’re still running. We both know that nopony’s would mess with your Mom, right?”

This one tried to answer her, but all it could do was choke out a sob of relief. It flung itself into Mom’s grasp, desperately clutching her while its hooves checked her body for any wounds despite her reassurances. “Muh-muh-moooooom...”

Both of this one’s parents held it while it cried, gently stroking its mane and reassuring it that all was well. However, this one could not help but notice that Mom’s hooves never strayed far from the dagger at her side, and her eyes lingered on the same hidden corners that this one had watched earlier.

This one’s parents were lying to it. It was not safe. Not at all.

As they both held this one, Dad whispered to Mom “Do you have any idea what it was?”

“No.” Her hold on this one tightened, and a furious snarl entered her voice. “But it's never coming anywhere near my daughter again.”

This one wiped at its eyes and tried to express itself. “Puh, please, this wuh, this wuh, this ... I ... this I wants to go. Please.” This one whimpered, its eyes turning to the open window as another breeze made the curtains waft again. “Please, please, pleasepleaseplease, Mom, Dad please.”

Dad nodded sharply. “To hay with waiting for sunrise, we're going to the islands now.”

“Damn right we are. I want to be somewhere with proper military patrols.” Mom quickly grabbed a few things from this one’s room and hers while Dad never loosened his hug. Once we were ready to leave they placed this one between the two of them, with each one wrapping a wing protectively around it. Right before we went out the door Mom paused and declared, “We move fast. We move quiet. And we stay close.”

This one nodded, trying to pull their wings more tightly around itself as it trembled, and not because of Freeport’s warm tropical air. “M-Mom? Dad? Could this one sleep with you tomorrow night?”

“Yes,” Dad answered instantly.

“You're not leaving my sight after that,” Mom agreed.

This one nodded, sparing one last look up at its bedroom as they departed. It did not think it would ever be able to sleep there again.

Author's Note:

As always, thanks to my pre-reading and editing team for all their hard work. Also, I would like to thank all my dedicated Patreon supporters. You guys are awesome.

Click here if you want to join the list of awesome people who support my writing.

Aidan Hall
Benjamin McLaren
Brayden
Brion Wauters
Christopher A Cope
Combine
Comma-Kazie
Cyanhyde
DaB.
David Han
Deep Cover
Dixie Daley
djthomp
Emlyn Costilow
FallenAngelXy
Jade Walters
James Miller
Jeffrey Martin
Justin Emery
MoistGooDragon
Patrick
Ponibius
Steven Ilten
TheAccidentalBrony
Trinary
waritah
Zennyth