• Published 20th Dec 2015
  • 1,906 Views, 25 Comments

Distorted: Through the Looking Glass - The Grimm Reaper



Twilight invents a device that allows her to see into alternate realities. While demonstrating the device to Ponyville, one reality in particular has everypony gripped with shock. It is the worst reality. And they can't help but watch it unfold.

  • ...
6
 25
 1,906

Chapter 1: Arcadia

All of Ponyville watched as this feline equivalent of Rainbow Dash, after having sounded off the start of the race, just stood there while her competitors ran as though their lives depended on it.

"GO! GO YOUSTUPID CAT!!!" Rainbow Dash shouted, the crowd behind her had begun doing much the same. The overlapping voices made it next to impossible to discern what they were saying. It wasn't until I looked back at the screen that I noticed something odd. Rainbow Cat was retracting her claws one at a time. It took me a second to realise she was counting down.

"EVERYPONY, SHUSH!" I called over them. The crowd was silent, and the second nopony spoke, we could hear Rainbow Cat muttering numbers down from ten.

"Five...Four... Three...Two.........One!" The second she'd called 'one' she took off, faster than any outside spectator would be able to follow. Rainbow Dash sighed with relief as her feline counterpart ducked and weaved through trees, houses, fences and underneath the odd fellow cat.

The instant RC had decided to run was the instant the other two had lost. She'd given them a fighting chance, but it was hopeless in the end. From the second RC had begun, it took no more than ten seconds for her to catch up, overtake and stop at the door to 'The Litter Box'. I estimated, that despite her speed, the track they'd run was at least two kilometres in length. It seemed even in an alternate reality, Rainbow Dash was the fastest. But this Rainbow seemed more sporting than our own. She'd calculated the distance and her opponents' speed, giving them a sufficient amount of time for them to beat her, yet still she won.

"Not bad, boys. Another second, and you would have beaten me." she said, completely composed. The other boys, having had a full minute head start, were gasping for breath as they approached Rainbow and collapsed in front of her. There she sat, looking down on her opponents with a warm smile, reassuring them that they'd impressed her.

I found myself liking this modest Rainbow. Our own Rainbow could learn a thing or two from her, that was for sure. With the race concluded, I shut down the link to the alternate dimension and reset the dials.

"Now that you've all seen what this device can do, would you all like a turn?" I asked, motioning to the crowd. Every pony in the podium cheered and formed a line at the right of the stage. I smiled, knowing that with that demonstration, I'd managed to carve my name in the history books. This would be my legacy, my story. While I enjoyed the combined legend of the 'Elements of Harmony', I wanted something that was uniquely mine. And while I suppose it was partly Starlight and Sunset's as well, I could live with sharing my legacy with them. Of course, there was also my faithful assistant, Spike, who had stuck with me throughout this entire project, and kept a tight lip about it, so as not to ruin the surprise. I must remember to give him a special treat for that. Actually...

"Spike?" I called out. A small purple head with green spines peered out from near the front of the line.

"Yes, Twilight?" he called.

I smiled down at him. "Since you were also a big help to me during the production of this device, how would you like to work the controls?" I asked. A hopeful smile donned his face.

"Really?" he asked. I simply nodded and waved for him to come up. As he took to the stage, I spoke once more to my fellow ponies.

"I've neglected to mention my faithful assistant's involvement in this project. Had Spike not been there for me, it's highly likely I would have gotten so into what I was doing, that I'd forget to eat, drink or sleep. I'm not joking, I'm speaking from experience, it's happened before. Just ask Princess Celestia."



Everypony had a turn. Some were funny, some were sad, some were weird, and some were bland. And as the last pony in line stepped onto the podium, she proposed something I hadn't considered, or programmed into the arc.

"Twilight, what if we use two different individual D.N.A sources?" Princess Celestia has insisted on being last, wanting her little ponies to enjoy the Arc first. I smiled at her as the possibilities she'd presented flourished through my mind.

"I don't know. Anything could happen. The Arc could split the screen and view both points of view at the same time, or it could potentially pick the dominant D.N.A source and work with that one, completely discarding the other. Also, it could show an alternate reality in which two individuals in this world may be one in the other." As I began to rant on about the possibilities, Princess Celestia stopped me and smiled.

"What say you and I test these theories?" she offered. I didn't say a word; I just picked up the scissors with my magic and chopped a millimetre of my fringe off. I'd been meaning to get a manecut anyway. I passed the scissors to Princess Celestia who took it upon herself to slice a bit of her own ethereal mane, which then proceeded to grow back. It was as though it was never cut, yet the clipping (if one could call an ethereal substance that) remained separate from the whole. We each donated our D.N.A to the Arc of Time, which swallowed it up.

"Spike, if you would be so kind?" I asked. Spike did as he'd done from the beginning, punched in a load of random numbers. But those numbers, as I'd come to discover, would be engraved in my memories for as long as I would live.

25/12/1015|0000001



War... It was a familiar sound to them all. A song that you hated, but couldn't get out of your head. Every shot of a laser rifle was the bashing of the drums... Every scream, the crashing of the symbol... Every cry, a played out tone of a cello... Every roar of anger, fear and desperation... the strings of the guitar being plucked.

We were once a peaceful people; strong, proud and united. Our diarchs were gods, only another god could fell them. Their people, happy and care free. We thought it would always be that way...

Then the virus broke out. No-one knew the origin or the extent of which it would hit. Within a few days, nearly a quarter of our population had been killed, within two weeks, we'd lost half. Within a month, we were at war with the half we'd lost. It was the plague we'd only ever told stories of. A fictional thing, completely impossible. Whoever our side lost, they gained. It was a war of attrition from the very beginning. But we held strong. Our gods would not fail us. And we, their faithful guardians would not let them fall.

Four years after the war began, Princess Celestia, the god of the sun, changed. Without warning, she attacked the forces loyal to Princess Luna. And I headed that attack. We didn't explain why, we didn't create excuses. We simply forced Princess Luna and those primarily loyal to her out. Within a month, our people had chosen whose side they were on. Luna's or Celestia's.

Our armies were virtually even. There were seven knights among the diarchy, sworn to protect their princesses. Only I remained by Celestia's side.

We were branded traitors to the Empire. We didn't argue this point, we simply ignored them. The war has waged on for six years now. The living divided into two armies, and the dead, now doubling each army's numbers.

As my master and I stood out the main balcony of the Royal Castle, we watched as our army marched forth. Hundreds of our kind, wearing the gilded armour of their Empress.

"The preparations are almost complete, my apprentice. Soon, we will be ready to face our enemy." my master said. Even corrupted by darkness, she was still beautiful. A whitish grey coat covered her body, her once indigo eyes now burning orange like fire. Her dress accented her colours, a shade of dark grey donned her robes, bronze plating covering her vitals, and shapely breasts. Ever since I was a pup, I saw this wolf as a goddess, and I would continue to see her for what she was.

I myself had undergone some changes. Where once, I was a bright lavender, with dark purple highlights around my neck, cheeks and ears; It had darkened and greyed. My eyes, once as purple as me, were now the same shade of fiery orange as my master's. I wore no such armour as the other soldiers. My clothing was purely robed; black as my heart. A hood covered most of my face, save my nose and mouth, my eyes glowing through the shadow the hood cast.

"All the pieces are still in play. Everything is going according to plan. Our strength grows every day. Soon, we will be unstoppable. Soon, we will have our revenge." I said, shifting my gaze from our soldiers, to the horizon. Far North, where the Crystal Empire resided. I could feel our enemies preparing for us.

I looked up to the sky, which was half way between night and day. "Arcadia stands!"

Author's Note:

RAINBOW CAAAAATTT!!!!!!

Merry Christmas all. It's actually 26th where I'm from, so Happy New Year all. lol