• Published 1st Jun 2012
  • 3,247 Views, 71 Comments

Sthemata - Collision of matter and thoughts - marielity



The Highschooler Simon accidently starts a magical trip to equestria, discovering his untapped powers.

  • ...
15
 71
 3,247

Chapter 6 - The daretaker

Chapter 6 - The daretaker


When they reached Fluttershy's place, Simon instantly felt the tranquillity of her place. It was calm; it was peaceful; and it was natural. The surroundings reminded Simon of a big garden with lots of places for small animals to hide. Behind the house he recognized a run filled with chickens and some small huts.

The interior was small, but confortable. It looked like a common living place with normal furniture, some carpets, chairs and table. Stairs leaded up to the next level. Simon could also see a kitchen in the next room.

"What a nice place," he said,"and so peaceful. You live here on your own, don't you?", he asked at Fluttershy.

"Yes,"she answered,"except for my little friends of course."

As if her voice was a signal suddenly the room was filled with animals all coming out of their hideouts. Simon could see some birds on the cupboards, squirrels jumping on the table and a grim looking rabbit on the floor.

"Wow," Simon moaned," now that's a lot of friends." He looked at the grim looking rabbit."And I bet he is the first patient? He looks like he's in pain or something." The rabbit just folded it's arms.

Fluttershy smiled at the rabbit."No he is not sick. His name is angel. He is my little bunny hunny, aren't you?"

Angel just turned around, jumped on a coach and sat down, looking at Simon grimly.

"Oh...looks like he likes you, Simon", Fluttershy said. She did not notice Angel stretching out his tongue at Simon, when she turned around to him. "No...my sick friends are upstairs in the guestroom right now. I should check them at once."

"Lead the way", Simon said.

The guestroom was small, but confortable as well. A big bed was in the middle of the room, some cupboards at the walls. The small window gave a good view over the backyard.

And there they were. 6 little mammals hidden in some clothes on the bed. 2 Squirrels, 2 birds, a mouse and a hedgehog, sleeping. They did not look well.

"I found them this morning near my garden", Fluttershy said."I think the hard storm was too much for them. Most of them have fever. The hedgehog has a broken leg."

"Hm, just like me", Simon said out loud in thoughts.

"Pardon me?", Fluttershy asked confused.

"Oh," Simon said irritated,"it's nothing. I would like to check on the hedgehog first."

Free from its clothings Simon could see a small bandage at one of the hedhehog's legs. When he reached for it the hedgehog curled itself to a small ball of spikes.

"It's okay,"Fluttershy whispered,"Simon here is a friend and will help you."

First a nose became visible between the spikes, then the eyes and then the hedgehog uncurled carefully, exposing his leg to Simon.

Then Simon began the procedure: Like the time he healed his own leg he relaxed, closed his eyes and concentrated on the nature around him and the peaceful enviroment. After a short moment he opened his eyes and saw his hands engulfed in a weak green light. He placed some fingers on the hedgehog's leg, thought about his own leg he cured and whispered:"heal".

Like the first time nothing happened first. Simon only felt a rush of memory's pass though his mind while his magic cured the broken leg. After a short while the glowing stopped and Simon removed his fingers. Sweat was on his forehead and he was slightly panting. The hedgehog seemed to be fine. It suddenly started moving faster then before and even stood up.

Walking on the bed it was obvious the leg was fine again.

Fluttershy squeeked in surprise."Simon you did it!" Perplexed she lowered her voice."Ehm...I mean you did it."

Simon recovered fast."That went well. When I healed myself it was far more exhausting." He looked at the other animals."5 more to go. You said they all got fever?"

"Yes", Fluttershy answered," they probably got too cold in the last nights storm."

"Hm". Simon wanted to try something different. Something that might go faster."Could you place them close to each other? I'm going to heal them all at once."

Fluttershy made big eyes."Are you sure you can do that? They will be safe?"

"A broken leg is a hard thing. I don't think it will be to hard to cure a fever."

When Fluttershy was done and whispered to the 5 animals to calm them down they lay close enough together so Simon could touch them all at once. Like before he summoned green light at his hands and placed his hands on the small animals.

He suddenly realized that thinking of a broken leg wont help this time, but he couldn't remember, when he had fever the last time.

Then, like before, a rush of memorys flew though Simons mind. Though he couldn't get a grip on them he saw pictures of people, who had their eyes closed and lay in a bed. He also saw his own image. They all had fever, he suddenly knew. And he knew how it was to have fever. With this knowledge he concentrated on the animals sickness and said:"heal".

After a few moments the faces of the animals relaxed. The temperature went down and they looked like they were poured with new lifeforce. They began to move and eventually got free from their clothings and moved around as if they were never sick at all. Simon on the other hand was exhausted and panting.

"Oh Simon,"Fluttershy yelled,"You are wonderful. That was the best thing I have ever seen. I..." Simon interupted her, smiling:"Now calm down. I never heard you yelling before." She only responded with a small "yay".

The cured animals jumped around Simon and Fluttershy."I bet they are hungry now,"Fluttershy said."How about you Simon?"
"With pleasure. I'm starving"


Simon was sitting at the dinnertable. Fluttershy went into the kitchen and prepared some food. Simon felt better again, the weariness was gone and replaced with more hunger instead.

Fluttershy returned with a basket of breads, some boiled eggs and fruits. Hungrily Simon devoured everything she placed in front of him until his stomach was double it's size. Satisfied he leaned back and rubbed his stomach."That was good. I feel like im bursting."

She smiled at him."You did a pretty good job. You deserve it. And now that my little friends are feeling better again," she looked down at her, where the animals ate from small bowls,"the guestroom is free just for you."

"Thank you, Fluttershy", Simon answered.

"Ah it's nothing at all," Fluttershy said."How about you lay down for a moment while I take care of my other friends. You look like you could need some rest."

"That's fine with me", Simon answered. So he went upstairs and lay down in the bed. He fell asleep quickly.


When he woke up it was still bright outside. The sun shined through the window and was tickling Simon's nose. He went to the window and looked into the backyard.

Fluttershy was outside taking care of the chickens. Her pet rabbit angel was busy chewing on a carrot and a huge lion-like being raised it's arms and showed his claws and fangs.

Simon got huge eyes and dropped to the ground. Perplexed he crawled back at the window and looked down. The scene didn't change except the huge lion-beast sneaked over to Fluttershy who was still busy with the chickens and hummed a melody.

Simon rushed like never before. He dropped down the stairs, ran through the living room (scaring some of the animals) and ran into the backyard, yelling "FLUTTERSHY! WATCH OUT!"

When he entered the backyard the lion-beast already got Fluttershy and buried her under his big head. Simon grabbed a nearby shovel and ran towards the creature. He raised the shovel and shouted:"Let go of Fluttershy at once or you'll regret it."

The lion didn't even look up. Instead a red tail swished from behind it and hit the shovel out of Simon's hands sending it into the bushes. Confused he looked at his now unarmed hands. The lion was still busy with Fluttershy who squeeked under the lion's head.

Simon paniced. How was he supposed to deal with a huge lion with his bare hands. Then his panic turned into anger and his hands became fists glowing in red light. He felt heat building up as if a fire was burning in his hands. He was about to point at the lion, but just managed hold back. He realized, that Fluttershy was there as well. If he were to use fire he might injure her. He just wanted the lion to let go of her.

The color of his fists changed to a bright blue. In instinct he moved his right fist into the direction the lion.
While his arm moved he felt a strong resistance, as if he was hitting through water. From his motion formed a small whirlwind moving towards the lion. The beast looked up in surprise as its wings expanded by the sudden blow and automaticly catched up the wind, sending the lion into the air. It landed on its back near a tree behind the backyard.

Fluttershy lay on the ground with big eyes and looked at Simon perplexed.

"Fluttershy!,"Simon shouted and ran to her,"are you okay?"

She got up and looked at him calmy."Of course I'm. What have you done to my friend?"

"Your...friend?" Simon looked askant at Fluttershy with an raised eyebrown."What...?"

"He is an old friend who comes by regulary", Fluttershy said silently. She went to were the lion landed, leaving a perplexed Simon in the backyard.

"What the hell?," Simon said to himself. He was sure the lion was about to attack Fluttershy and he tried to rescue her...from a friend? This beast? Simon thought, that Fluttershy "friends" were only small animals, but this?

He stared at his fists, which stopped glowing. "That was another kind of spell, wasn't it?", he thought."I summoned a strong wind to blew that creature away from fluttershy."

When he looked up again the shadow of the lion was over him. The creature looked down at him with grim eyes, the red tail of a scorpion swirling around behind it. The lion was about 2 meters heigh and Simon suddenly felt very small.

Frightened Simon went backwards until his back met the wood of the house, the lion following him.

"He wants you to apologize,"Fluttershy shouted.

Simon looked up at the lions eyes. It raised a paw and checked its claws with cool eyes, as if it wanted to prepare them for an attack. Simon gulped.

"I...I...I'm sorry," Simon stummered."I...I thought you were attacking Fluttershy. I just wanted to protect her."

The lions paw grabbed at Simons shirt and pulled him closer to his face. He opened his mouth grumbling. Simon smelled the warm breath of the predator in front of him and closed his eyes.

But instead of piercing fangs, a tongue met his face. The grumbling became a purring. Simon opened his eyes again just to see the tongue licking his face again. Before he could even react the lion pushed Simon on the ground and licked with his rough tongue over Simon throat and face. Simon burst into laughter, muffled by the lions mane and cried for mercy.

He could hear Fluttershy's voice nearby."He accepts your apology but first he'll have his revenge on you."

"I'm sorry! I'm sorry", Simon muffled but the lion didn't stop. His arms were hold down by the lions weight so all he could do was to endure it. When Simons voice became weaker the lion stopped and released Simon. Heavily panting he hold his stomach that was aching from laughter.

The lion sat down next to Fluttershy. Now that the situation was save and Simon free to catch some air he observed the lion. The body was definetly a lion, but it also had a scorpion tail and leather wings.

"This is a manticore, am I right?", Simon asked Fluttershy.

"Yes. We met him the first time we went to evergreen forest", Fluttershy answered."He got a small splinter in his paws and I removed it. Poor little baby." She petted the manticore, which purred silently."So you know manticores?"

"I never met one before", Simon said."Thinking of it I don't think that manticores exist were I come from. Still his shape his familar to me."

Fluttershy just looked askant at Simon."You are really special, you know?"


They spend the rest of the day in the backyard. Simon helped Fluttershy with the chickens and the garden, while the manticore was sleeping in the sun. When the sun started to settle Simon and Fluttershy went into the house. They said goodbye to the manticore, which went back to the forest.

"I think I remember now, where I have seen a manticore before," Simon said at dinner.

"Where?", Fluttershy asked.

"In my books", Simon answered." And I just noticed, that I forgot my backpack at Applejack's farm." He shrugged with his shoulders."Guess I'll get it tomorrow then."

"Oh. Okay", Fluttershy murmured.

They continued eating. While Fluttershy concentrated on her meal, Simon felt a bit uneasy. It was too quite and the silence felt unconfortable to Simon. He decided to start a smalltalk.

"So...how is it living in this place,"he began."Far away from the town?"

"Oh it's very calm," Fluttershy answered,"perfect for me and my friends. In the town its too loud and busy; it would frighten my friends."

"Hm. I see", Simon said.

Then it was silent again. They both finished eating and were looking around in the house, avoiding each others glimpse.

"I don't see any of your friends in here", Simon interupted the silence,"do they stay out at night?"

"Yes", she answered.

"Hm", Simon hummed. And it was silent again.

"Say," Simon said,"you live all alone here, except for your little friends, don't you?"

"Yes, I do," Fluttershy answered.

"Don't you feel...lonely sometimes?" Simon asked.

Fluttershy smiled at Simon."But no why would I. My little friends are always around me, so I don't have to feel lonely."

Simon scratched his head."Yeah I know, but what about...big friends? Other ponys for example? You are the only pony I know that lives all alone."

Fluttershy hesitated before she answered."No it's fine like that. I don't want to be a burden for someone."

Simon raised an eyebrown, but didn't answer.

"Well. Time to clean up and go to bed,"Fluttershy suddenly said."You can go up and have some sleep. It was a exhausting day for you. I'll do the cleaning."

"Okay then,"Simon said."Good night"

"Yeah. Good night, Simon," she answered.

Simon got up and went upstairs while Fluttershy picked up the dishes and went into the kitchen. He took off his pullover and pants, jumped into the bed and curled into the blankets. It didn't take long to fall asleep.


It was still dark when Simon woke up. He rubbed his eyes and wondered. He was having a rather normal dream and slept quitely. He tried to get back to sleep, when he heard something. A low voice coming from downstairs.

Someone was crying.

Simon got up and sneaked down the stairs. He peeked into the living room. A weak light came from the next room. Fluttershy's bedroom.

Slowly he went to the door and peeked though the keyhole. He couldn't see much but he saw Fluttershy laying in her bed in candlelight and she was crying.

He had no idea what she was crying about, but it hurt him as well. Affected by her tears, all he could do was staying there and watch her. He wasn't able to take any action.

Eventually Fluttershy lit the candle and went to sleep. After a short while it was totally silent.

Simon got up and carefully opened the door. His eyes adjusted to the darkness so he could see the shape of Fluttershy and her bed. He sneaked over to her and slowly sat down on the bed. He carefully stroke her mane and was thinking."Why are you sad?", he wondered. She murmured in her sleep. He was still affected by her tears. Her eyes were still wet from the crying.

Then Simon closed his eyes. He didn't knew why but he could feel that his hands were slightly glowing in dark blue. With his hand still on Fluttershy's head he concentrated on her."Why are you sad?"

Then Simon saw pictures. He saw himself in a dark room. And he saw Fluttershy lying in her bed in the dark. It was a rush of pictures but not only his own this time. He could feel what Fluttershy felt. He saw pictures of herself seeking for friends, but only animals responded to her. In the night she always was alone. No one around her.

Simon removed his hand."So you really are lonely, aren't you?" he whispered. Tears were running down his face. Simon somehow understood what it felt like to be all alone.

He carefully went under the blanket and layed next to Fluttershy, carefully embracing her. She murmured a little but didn't wake up. They stayed like this for a while. Before he fell asleep, the last Simon saw was a little smile on Fluttershy's face.


The next morning started with a clear sky. The sun spent a warm light and a slight breeze blew over the fields.

Simon woke up by the call of a rooster in Fluttershy's backyard. He rubbed his eyes and yawned. It took a short while before he realized where he was. He turned for Fluttershy, but she was up already. After some minutes Simon stretched and got up as well and went into the living room.

The smell of breakfast hit him and he walked hypnotized into the kitchen, where the smell came from.

Fluttershy was busy with the frying pan when Simon entered. "Good morning, Simon", she greeted him.

"Good morning" he responded with a tired smile. Then his stomach grumbled like a bear waking up from hibernation.

Fluttershy nodded: "Sounds like someone's hungry. Breakfast is ready soon, you can wait at dinner table."

He went into the living room and sat down at the dinner table. Some of Fluttershy's little friends were already awake and were busy with their own business. The door to the garden was always open so they could leave at any time.
While Simon watched the animals running around in the house and garden Fluttershy carried a tablet with breakfast into the living room. Simon quickly got up and went over to Fluttershy.

"Let me take the tablet for you", Simon said and carefully took the tablet from Fluttershy."Its easier for me with hands. I couldn't carry items with my teeth only."

"For us its normal, and we have bigger and stronger teeth," Fluttershy responded. They sat down at table and began eating.

Like the day before it was quite silent again and they both avoided each others look. But the mood was even more unconfortable to Simon then before. He didn't dare to start the talking.

When Fluttershy eventually asked Simon, she was holding a cup of tea and looked at it like in a dream:"Why did you sneak up at me this night?"

Simon was prepared for this question, but he still felt a bit uneasy:"Well...I heard you crying. Please don't think wrong of me. I didn't want to spy at you or something. I just happened to hear you. And when I saw it was you crying..." Simon stopped and looked up at Fluttershy."It hurt me to see you being sad."

Fluttershy still looked at her cup and didn't say anything.

"Being alone is very hard,"Simon continued,"I don't know why but I know exactly how it feels. That's why I joined you."

Fluttershy looked up at Simon."Why do you still think I'm lonely? I already told I'm fine."

Simon raised his right hand."I felt it. You know...with my magic...I saw you and me...both being alone."

Fluttershy's look got cold."Well...thank you, that you care for me, but I would prefer you not to sneak up at me and search my very mind with the powers of yours."

Simon looked down and didn't say anything.

"I appreciate what you have done with my little friends yesterday," she continued,"but I would prefer you to leave as soon as possible."

Simon raised his head."Fluttershy. Look I'm...".

Fluttershy suddenly jumped in the air and flew in front of Simon, yelling angrily:"I DON'T WANT TO HEAR YOUR EXCUSES! HOW DARE YOU MESSING WITH OTHER PONYS HEADS?"

Simon nearly dropped from his chair in surprise. He quickly got up an went backward slowly while Fluttershy followed him.
"HOW DARE YOU READING OTHER PONYS MINDS? YOUR MAGIC IS DANGEROUS!" She poked him with her hoof."YOU ARE DANGEROUS! LEAVE MY HOUSE AT ONCE!"

Simon had no choice. He quickly left through the frontdoor and went some steps away from the house. When he looked back Fluttershy looked angrily at him and closed the door. After a short moment a window opened and Simons remaining clothes landed in front of him.

"STAY OUT OF MY SHED! AND NEVER COME BACK!", she cried. Then the window was closed and it was silent again.
Simon sighted and put on his clothes. He glanced back at Fluttershy's house before he followed the path back to ponyville.
"Well," Simon whispered to himself,"that would be three ponys, who hate me. Must be a record: For everyday, I make someone hate me." Simon just smiled bitterly. Walking down the path to ponyville with lowered look and lost in thoughts, he didn't notice a group of 3 small ponys until he nearly ran into them.

"Hey. Watch'at where you'ar going."

A small, orange colored pegasus looked up at Simon. Her eyes widened, when she saw, what nearly ran into them and walked closer to her friends."Who are ya?", she asked scared.

Simon looked up."Oh. I'm sorry. I was lost in thoughts and didn't notice you. My name is Simon."

A yellow earthpony with red mane looked grimly at him."That's the humahen ma sister told me about. She calls him a monster."

"A monster?", asked a small, white unicorn with purple mane."He doesn't look like a monster."

"I'm not a monster," Simon answered."I'm a human, like Applebloom said."

"What is a humahen?", the little pegasus asked."Never heard of those."

"I arrived here some days ago, Scootaloo,"Simon answered," but I still can't remember how."

"Wait a minute." Applebloom interrupted." How do ya know our names?"

Simon scratched his head."That's one more thing I don't know. I can't remember anything about my past, but I know all names here in ponyville." He shrugged his shoulders."Makes me suspiscious, doesn't it?"

The three ponys stuck their heads together and chatted for a moment. Then the little unicorn asked:"So you're not a monster, aren't ya?"

Simon slowly lost his temper."Ok look. I'm not going to eat you, hurt you, destroy anything or call diseases and curses on this town. All I want is to get along and find out, who exactly I am and where I'm from; and how to get back." He looked at the unicorn."I'm NOT a monster, Sweetie bell."

"Wow, that's so scary," Scootaloo said with a shiver,"he really knows our names."

"But why does ma big sister call ya a monster?" Applebloom asked.

Simon sighted and sat down at a nearby treestump."Wanna hear my story?" He didn't need to ask. The three ponys immediately gathered around him and fixed their eyes on him. And so he told them: About what he remembered, how he met Twilight and the others and about the last few days. He also told them about what happened between him and Applejack, Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy; though he didn't go into details and changed the situations for the understanding of young fillies. He simply needed someone to tell about his problems and felt much better quickly getting it from his soul.

"And now I need to find a way to show them, that I'm sorry." Then Simon finished. It took nearly an hour to sum up Simon's last few days, but the three ponys listened carefully. They then put their heads together and whispered eagerly. Then Applebloom looked up at Simon.

"We just decided, that you're not a monster", she said.

"Ah...finally", Simon smiled.

"And you're lucky", scootaloo said,"we, the cutie mark crusaders, also decided, that we will help ya."

"How do you want to help me?", Simon asked.

"We already have a plan,"applebloom answered.

"When we want to show how much we like someone," Sweetie Bell continued,"we make a shiny emblem with stuff from ma sister's boutique. We'll just do the same again. It will look great."

Simon scratched his chin."Hmmm...an emblem you say? Sounds good."

"This will be perfect", Applebloom said."And you will be friends again with Applejack, Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash."

"And maybe we will gain our cutie marks by helping you", Scootaloo added.

The three ponys looked at each other with a grin, then jumped in the air and put their hooves together, calling:" CUTIE MARK CRUSADERS FOR THE RESCUE. YEAH!"