• Published 24th Oct 2015
  • 1,562 Views, 26 Comments

Rewritable - Detsella Morningdew



A small pegasus colt wakes to find himself in a huge crater with absolutely no memory of how he got there. Or any memory at all. This is his story

  • ...
7
 26
 1,562

Chapter 6: Surprise! ...sort of.

Twilight was waiting for me when I got home.

"How did school go?"

I smiled. "A lot better than expected."

Confusion.

"Why do you say that?"

"Well, I didn't expect to make so many friends on the first day."

Twilight laughed. "Neither did I when I first came to Ponyville. Even when trying to avoid doing so, I made friends anyway. I guess I have Pinkie to thank for that."

I started smiling.

"What is it?"

"Well, you can tell Pinkie that it takes a lot more to surprise me now."

"What are you talking about?" Twilight got visibly more nervous.

"I must say, you did pretty well, but I can kind of see the fifty or so ponies that are crammed into the library."

"Oh. Right. That."

"It's still just fine," I said, smiling a bit more. "I'll enjoy the party anyway. They'll always be another party for her to try and surprise me."

I walked in the door.

"SURPRISE!"

I didn't even try to fake a reaction. Pinkie could probably spot fake surprise, anyway. I did smile at the greeting, though.

Pinkie bounced up to me, and I almost laughed out loud. Pinkie was impossibly pink even if I could only see her magic.

"Hi, Record! I'm Pinkie Pie! But you already knew that! Were you surprised? Were ya? Were ya?"

"Actually, not really."

Pinkie deflated just slightly. "What? But we were all quiet and everything!"

She suddenly looked suspicious. "Did Twilight blow it again?"

"No, nothing like that. Twilight was actually very convincing. But since I'm blind, I can see through walls now."

Pinkie accepted this blatantly false logic as if it was the most normal thing in the world.

"That's so cool! Could you teach me to do it, too?"

I knew Pinkie well enough from Twilight's stories to know that that was a terrifying idea.

I thought quickly. "Well, wouldn't that ruin all the surprise parties that ponies wanted to throw for you?"

"Oh, yeah."

Phew. Disaster averted.

"But I'll still get you one of these days. I will surprise you eventually."

I didn't doubt it.


The party was amazingly fun. The games Pinkie planned were, of course, fun, but it was even more fun for me to memorize all the ponies. As Pinkie said, everypony in Ponyville was there. Everypony was unique, and, just like Pinkie, I wanted to know all of them. Maybe not as well as Pinkie did, but I wanted to be able to recognize them, all the same.

After learning about my particular method of sight, Pinkie was overjoyed that I could see her balloons. The rubber did come from a plant, after all.

Pin the Tail on the Pony was interesting. Instead of being blindfolded, Pinkie made me promise (not Pinkie Promise, of course) to shut off my Sight. Being able to see the paper was too much of an advantage.

The best part, though, was meeting my friends again. Scootaloo told me excitedly that, while she couldn't fly just yet, she was definitely getting a lot more lift.

Apparently, that was also how she got them to the party before me. She apparently took all of them on her scooter and used her wings as propulsion. A rather neat idea, actually.

She then asked how I was doing with my wings.

"Not that far at all, really."

"Why? If I were you, I'd never stop until I got my wings working."

"You aren't practicing right now," Sweetie Belle pointed out.

"Well, I'm inside the library. I don't think Twilight would appreciate it that much."

"Well, actually, remember when I said I was a lot worse than you?"

"Yeah, why?"

"I have been practicing, but mostly to keep my magic from dissipating completely."

"Huh? What do you mean?"

"Did I tell you how I lost my sight?"

"Umm, no. I kind of assumed you were always blind."

"It actually happened yesterday."

"Seriously?"

They were all listening now.

"Well, you know how I said to Scootaloo how improperly formed magic was causing her inability to fly?"

They nodded.

"Well, my magic wasn't formed at all."

"Really?"

"Yes. Now I didn't want to say this before, mostly because I didn't want to scare anypony, but I can assure Scootaloo that she's safe."

"Safe from what?"

"Well, since my magic wasn't reaching my eyes, and I spent all my time here reading..."

"You exhausted your eyes, and since there wasn't magic to draw from, it took the life force instead." Dinky said simply.

We all looked at her.

"What?"

"That's exactly right. Where did you learn that?"

"Mom was talking about it one time. You talking about your problem kind of reminded me of her."

Okay, magical disorders definitely aren't as uncommon as Twilight believes. Still, it could be just Ponyville.

"Where is your mom?"

"Over there."

She pointed with her hoof, and while it was a bit difficult to figure out where she was pointing, because I could only see her magic, when I looked, there was no mistake.

That is some weird magic

Now I really want to see this Discord that Twilight talked about in her history lessons. She said that he was just a legend, but wasn't Nightmare Moon even more so?

We talked for the rest of the party on a subject we were all interested in: cutie marks.

Apple Bloom talked about fixing up an old treehouse on the farm that might work as a clubhouse for the Crusaders. It seemed like a great idea, and the vote passed unanimously.

Cutie Mark ideas were passed around, and I wrote them down on a list. Twilight always insisted that I keep spare parchment with me, and now I was grateful.

Dinky was very interested on how I could see what I was writing, and I explained to her that Twilight enchanted the ink for me. That way, even if I couldn't see the ink, I could see her magic instead. It made all my ink look purple.


When the party was finally over, and everypony left, I was exhausted. I climbed into bed, and looked up at the moon and stars.

The moon was just as bright as the sun. And the stars sparkled with their own unique magic.

The night truly was just as beautiful as the day. And it was nice to see that Luna was resuming her old duties. Maybe someday the rest of Equestria would see it the same way.

I almost laughed out loud

Maybe not exactly the same way.