• Published 25th Oct 2015
  • 13,832 Views, 509 Comments

Shinigami In Equestria - Urimas Ebonheart



An average but nerdy young man goes to an anime convention dressed as Ichigo from Bleach. He was missing only one thing from his costume, where a mysterious merchant sells him just the item he needed. Only to be sent somewhere he doesn't know.

  • ...
54
 509
 13,832

Chapter 3: Trust Issues

Chapter 3: Trust Issues

How the hell did they both get Zanpakutos? Wait, does this make them Soul Reapers?

I shake my head and focus on the hollow walking towards us.

"Sister... We have never seen a demon this big before," Luna says to Celestia.

I look at them both, only to get a glare from Celestia. "Yes. Strange that a demon this large arrives shortly after your release," she accuses me.

'Oh come on! Really?' I give her a look of disbelief.

Before I could reply, the hollow swings its massive arm at me and sends me through a stone wall which collapses on me.

"Ichigo!" Luna shouts out.

"Ooooohh. I'm gonna feel that later..." I say and push the rubble off me.

"Fall demon!" Luna yells and flies up to the hollow's head. She swings her Zanpakuto at it and sparks fly off the mask, leaving only a small dent. She then gets side swiped by a massive fist. "AAAAAAHH!" she screams as she smashes through a few trees.

"LUNA!" Celestia shouts out and fires a blast of energy at the Hollow. It stumbles back and its left horn snaps off. It shrieks and brings down both fists on top of her, but she teleports at the last second behind it and stabs it in the back.

I shake my head and get back on my feet. I place my left hand over my face and form my mask. I grunt as I kick off the ground towards the hollow and swing my sword at it. I carve through its left arm, cutting it off.

It howls in pain and thrashes about. I hear Luna groan as she stumbles back over. "Blasted demon... Thou shalt pay for that!" she says and flies right above it. She then points her Zanpakuto straight down and falls towards it. I run forward and slash at both of its knees. The hollow falls on its stomach and keeps trying to stand back up.

'Should give Luna an easier target.'

Luna's Zanpakuto impales the back of its head and the hollow goes dead still as it dissolves.

"Nice aim," I tell her.

"We thank thee. We also thank thee for keeping the demon still," she replies.

"You're welcome," I say and let my mask crumble off.

Luna dismisses her Zanpakuto while Celestia keeps hers out.

"What is the matter, sister?" Luna asks her.

Celestia just frowns at me. "Nothing, Luna," she says and summons a scabbard and sheaths her sword. She then places it on her back and walks over to Luna. "Are you alright? You're not hurt are you?" she asks her with worry.

Luna rolls her eyes. "We art fine, sister. We are not some little filly anymore," she replies.

Celestia sighs. "Alright, let's head back to Ponyville. I'm sure everypony is getting worried," Celestia says and then looks at me. "I have a few questions for you and you will come with us and answer them," she tells me sternly.

'Great. She's paranoid as well.' "And I have a few of my own. For starters, since when have you two been Soul Reapers?" I ask them.

"What art thou talking about?" Luna asks me.

"Your swords are just like mine, zanpakutos, the weapon of a shinigami," I reply.

Both their eyes go wide and they look at each other. "Thou means we are just like thee?" Luna asks with worry.

"I believe so. Do you even know the names of your zanpakutos?" I ask them.

"Names? You mean the names we've given them?" Celestia asks, looking intrigued at least.

"No, you don't give a zanpakuto a name... you ask them for their names," I tell them.

I concentrate my reiatsu and focus on the form of Zangetsu. A man in a waving black coat and hair with a short goatee and brown tinted shades appears and stands beside me.

"Who is that!" Luna yelps in surprise.

I grunt and stop the flow where Zangetsu fades away and I start panting. "That... *huff* That was my zanpakuto, Zangetsu," I reply. My sword wraps itself up and I place it on my back.

"Thou were telling the truth back then when thou told Storm Shield thy weapon is alive?" Luna asks stunned.

I nodded. "Yes, my zanpakuto is alive and has his own personality. I'm guessing yours does as well. You just haven't asked them... When did you get them?" I reply and ask them both.

They look at each other for a few seconds. "We found them just after we sealed you. Once the elements were done, they were just lying on the ground in front of us," Celestia tells me.

I frown in thought. 'But that doesn't explain how they became Soul Reapers...' I think to myself. My thoughts are broken as my stomach rumbles, making me grin sheepishly and chuckle. "Well then. I think I'll take you up on the offer of lunch," I tell them.

Luna smiles while Celestia sighs. "Fine, but I'm not done with you yet." Celestia replies as she turns and walks through the forest.

I frown and shake my head as Luna and I follow her, she really needs to relax more often. "Why are you so hostile towards me? What happened so long ago was out of my control, and now if you take the fact that you are both Soul Reapers now. You both have your own hollows within you that could take over at any time! Luna is already proof of that..." I tell her.

"That may be... but this would have never even happened if you never showed up. I wouldn't have lost my sister to a demon for a thousand years! The sightings of demons were so few as five a year, but ever since you arrived, we've been getting reports of dozens a month!" she tells me with anger in her tone.

How could my arrival effect the world this much? Did I set off a chain of events without knowing it?

"Are thou alright?" Luna asks me.

I shake my head from my thoughts and smile at her. "Yeah... I just hope my arrival really isn't the cause," I reply.

"How did thou arrive here? After thou were sealed, we never saw another of thy race again," she asks me.

I told them of what I remember from the convention and the phone I bought. "Which reminds me. I've been watching ponies now and then while I was sealed. Technology seems to have advanced quite a bit, did it have anything to do with my old phone I left behind?" I ask with curiosity.

Celestia stays silent as Luna seems to be enjoying our conversation. "Verily, we found thy strange device after the battle was over. Over time, we discovered how it functioned and replicated the design," she replies and her horn glows. A phone similar to my old one is floating in front of her with star patterns on it. "From what we have heard from Tia during our banishment, she and a dedicated team of ponies researched new ways the technology could be implemented. So many wondrous machines and devices have been made from that one little device. The Gamecolt Entertainment System has to be one of our favourites," she tells me.

Gamecolt? Sounds like a pun of Gameboy. "And what happened to my old phone after all this time?" I ask.

"It has degraded to a point it can no longer function, but it has been placed in the Canterlot Museum," she replies.

Before we knew it, we were out of the forest where Pinkie Pie, Rainbow Dash, Rarity, Fluttershy, the orange mare from the farm, and the purple unicorn are all staring at us.

"Princess! W-Why is the demon not restrained?" the purple pony asks while staring at me with fear filled eyes.

Luna giggles while Celestia sighs in frustration. "He is not a demon young, Twilight Sparkle," Luna tells her.

"He's not? But why is he named the Canterlot Demon then?" she asks again this time in confusion.

"That... Is a long story, but for what he is. We remember thou called thyself a Hoo-man, correct?" she asks me.

"Close, I'm a Human. H.U.M.A.N. Scientific name Homo Sapiens," I reply.

"Human? Wait... haven't we heard Lyra rant about humans before?" the orange mare asks her friends.

"Oh yeah! She said she used to have dreams about one. Something about it fighting in a great battle or something?" Rainbow replies.

'How does this Lyra know about humans?' I wonder to myself.

I pull out my last snickers bar and unwrap it. "What is that?" Luna asks.

I look up from it to her. "It's a chocolate bar consisting of nougat topped with caramel and peanuts. Want to try some?" I reply and break a bit off for her.

She levitates it and was about to eat it when a golden glow knocks it away. "Sister! Why didst thou do that?" Luna asks Celestia with a frown.

"We don't know what's in that. For all we know, it could be harmful to ponies." Celestia remarks. Is she just being spiteful now?

"Mmmm. Thish ish goooood," the voice of Pinkie says as I look to see her chewing on the bit of snickers that was flung away. 'She must of caught it in the air or something. Still bothers me I can't sense her reiatsu.'

The others just watch as she swallows it and has a grin on her face. "Ooooh. I think I'll try making some of my own! Be right back!" she says and seemingly vanishes from sight, but I could see her. How in the hell did she learn or even use Shunpo?

"See, sister, tis perfectly safe," Luna says to Celestia. "May we please try some, Ichigo," she asks me.

I shake my head and turn my attention back to her. "Oh, sure," I reply and break another piece off for her.

She takes it and chews on it slowly. "Hmmm, tis quite delicious," she says and swallows it.

Celestia groans and begins walking towards the town. "I get the feeling she's never going to like nor give me a chance," I say to Luna.

"She just doesn't know what we both went through... Though she does blame thee for our... fall from grace. At the time of our possession, we were angry at her and our ponies. We were jealous of the praise she got for her day while ponies ignored our night," she tells me.

"I see. Your hollow half reacted to your negative emotions," I reply.

"It still sounds strange when thou refer to them by that name," she tells me as the rest of us follow Celestia into town.

Rainbow Dash then hovers to the left of my head. "Don't think just because you're all chummy with Princess Luna that I forgot what you did to me! I'll get you back for it someday!" she tells me before flying off towards the town.

"That's right! You still need ta answer fer stealing mah apples!" the orange mare says to me.

"Would working it off for you repay it?" I offer. As much as I don't like stealing, I didn't have much choice at the time.

She looks at me for a few seconds before answering. "If the Princesses let you, then sure. Ya'll can help harvest the apples," she tells me.

"Okay, but that leaves me with another problem. I have no money or a job to earn said money, I'm not sure what to do for food or shelter. I'm a Soul Reaper, I doubt there's a job vacancy for slaying hollows and helping spirits to pass on," I say. Can I even perform a Soul Burial?

"Well, as long as ya pull yer weight, I can let ya stay in our barn and offer ya three meals a day. Names Applejack by the way," she tells me and holds a hoof out to me.

I grasp her hoof and lightly shake it. "Ichigo Kurosaki, and that sounds reasonable to me," I reply with a faint smile.

I then finish off my snickers bar and put the wrapper back in my bag.

"So," Luna says getting my attention. "How do we go about asking our... zanpakuto was it?" she asks to which I nodded. "How do we ask them for their names?" she asks me.

"That's up to each Soul Reaper to find out. Talk to your zanpakuto and try to listen for a response. That's all I can suggest," I reply.

She looks a bit disappointed. "We see, we thank thee for thy advice," she says with a small sigh.

"S-So what kind of magic did y-you use on Rainbow?" the purple mare named Twilight Sparkle asks me. A hint of fear still in her tone.

"It wasn't magic, it's called Kidō, or Demon Arts," I reply.

"Demon Arts?" Luna says with shock and a frown.

I hold up my hands in a calming gesture. "That's just what it's called. There's two types, Hadō, Way of Destruction, for direct attacks. And Bakudō, Way of Binding, for battle support. I used Bakudō number one, Sai or Restrain, on Rainbow that forces the targets arms, or in a pony's case, their front legs, to lock behind their back for a short time or until they break out of it," I reply.

A piece of parchment and a quill appears next to Twilight and she begins to write it down. "What other kinds of Kidō are there?" she asks me. The fear in her tone momentarily forgotten.

"I only know of two. I told you of Sai. The other is Hadō number one, Shō or thrust. It fires a small amount of kinetic energy from the tip of my finger to knock a target back. Basically a long ranged punch. There are others, but I've yet to learn them. Stonger Kidō also requires an incantation to use, and with enough practice, you can forgo it, but the incantation always makes it stronger," I tell her.

"Fascinating!" she says and continues to write more down. "Can anypony learn it?" she asks.

"I don't know. I guess so if they have high enough reiatsu. Pinkie Pie seems to have learnt how to use Shunpo, or flash step it seems," I reply.

"Flash step?" Applejack asks.

"It's a technique to move faster then normally possible by using your reiatsu. For example," I reply and use my Shunpo to grab her hat and dash just a few feet down the street.

"Huh?" she says and raises a hoof to her head to find her hat.

"Looking for this?" I say and walk back over to her.

"Bu... But. How did ya'll take mah hat? Ah didn't feel a thing," she says as I give her hat back.

"As I said, it helps me move faster than normal," I reply.

We reach a building that looks like a gingerbread house. "I take it by the design this is a bakery... or someone has an unhealthy obsession for baked goods," I comment on the odd architecture.

"Actually, you're right on both. This is where Pinkie works as a baker," Twilight tells me.

We all enter and I look around. Bright colours everywhere; creams, browns, and pinks. A glass counter with pastry treats and cakes behind it in the middle and some tables with chairs to the right. Looks like a child's dream come true.

"So, Ichigo. What would thou like?" Luna asks me.

My stomach voices its displeasure and rumbles loudly. "Anything edible please," I reply with a grin.

The others order what they want and Luna brings me mine. I pick up a cupcake and frown at it. I can feel Celestia's reiatsu in it.

"Celestia, care to explain why your reiatsu is in this?" I ask her.

Her eyes widen just very slightly. "What are you talking about?" she replies like she's innocent.

"I can feel your reiatsu... or magic as you call it, in this cupcake. Why?" I ask again.

Her expression hardens and she glares at me. She's silent for a few seconds before speaking up. "It's a sleep spell, I was hoping to take you back quietly. Restrain you until you could be sealed and never be a threat to my ponies ever again. I simply just don't trust you, demon," she tells me and draws her sword. I go wide eyed and stand up slowly.

"Sister! What is the matter with thee!?" Luna asks her with worry.

Celestia's eyes never leave mine. "It's his fault I lost you for a thousand years! He butchered hundreds of our ponies before we managed to seal him away. I'm not taking that chance again!" she replies. "I'll just destroy you now, like I should have back then!" she tells me in anger and thrusts her sword at me.

'Oh shit!'

I jump to the left and then ram the door down to get out. I turn to face the her and draw my sword. "Celestia, please stop. I don't want to hurt you," I tell her.

She huffs as she walks out the broken door frame. "You couldn't hurt me back then, what makes you think you can now?" she asks.

"I didn't know what I could do back then and you were fighting my, at the time, crazy hollow half. I've been training the last millennia while you've been sitting on your ass all day," I reply and she frowns at me. "but this time, I'm in control!" I yell at her.

Luna looks conflicted as she tries to calm Celestia down. "Sister! Please stop! If thou must destroy Ichigo, then thou must destroy us as well! We too have a demon inside us still! And if he is right, thou has one too!" she tells her.

Celestia then growls. "I am nothing like him!" she shouts and dashes towards me with great speed, but not fast enough. I use Shunpo to side step her attack and using the flat of my blade, I slap her in the face. She tumbles along the ground and recovers mid roll. Her coat is stained with patches of dirt.

"You need to calm down, Celestia!" I warn her. If she continues to let her emotions get out of control, her hollow half could awaken.

She snarls and charges at me again. "I will when you are no longer a threat to my ponies!" she shouts in rage.

Our zanpakuto clash over and over again. Her anger and rage seems to be getting to the breaking point as her eyes have just turned black with yellow irises... Oh crap.

"What is wrong with the Princess? I've never seen her this angry before!" I hear Twilight say.

I parry her attack and point my left index finger at her. "Hadō number one, Shō!" I shout out. My reiatsu forms at my finger tip and an invisible force hits Celestia in the chest, knocking her back a good few metres. "Celestia please! You need to stop now before it's too late!" I warn her again.

She screams in rage and gets back up. "I will destroy you even if it's the last thing I do!.." she yells at me, but she then goes wide eyed as a thick white fluid like substance starts to flow out of her mouth and eyes.

"AAAAAAHHHH!" she screams and shakes violently as her sword clatters to the ground.

'Shit, too late. I'm going to have to destroy her mask if I'm going to save her,' I think to myself. I form my own hollow mask and turn to Luna. "LUNA! If she's going to be anything like I was. You need to evacuate the town, NOW!" I shout at her.

I see tears running down her face but she nodded. "R-Right. T-Twilight, can thou and t-thy friends get as many ponies out of t-town as fast as thou can?" she asks them.

Twilight also has tears running down her face. "Y-Yeah. Please help Celestia, Luna!" She replies as she and the others do as they were asked.

Half of Celestia's mask has formed and a pained expression is on the visible half of her face. Her screams of anguish filling the town.

Luna stands beside me with fear and sadness on her face. "How do w-we stop it?" she asks, fearful for her sister.

"Two ways. One, she stops it herself and regains control. Two, we break or pull her mask off. And if we can't do that, we have to seal her away or kill her," I reply. Her expression of sadness worsens at that last part.

For five minutes we wait as ponies run past us and out of the town. Celestia has stopped screaming and is laying still. Her mane and tail has changed to what look like flames. Her mask has a pair of fang like teeth and a red flame pattern on the right side.

Her eyes shoot open and she laughs in a disturbing, distorted tone. "Finally! I am free! Now then, time to have some fun!" the now hollowfied Celestia says.

I dash forward before she could react and swing my sword at her mask. She growls and jumps back and picks up her zanpakuto with her magic.

"Oh? Does the little shinigami want to play with me?" she taunts and I swing at her again. With speed matching my own, she moves behind me and thrusts her sword at my back. I lift my sword over my head and lay it on my back and block her attack.

Luna has her sword out and hits Celestia in the side of her head, cracking the mask a bit.

"Gah! I will devour your soul for that!" Celestia says and kicks Luna hard with her back legs, sending the night Princess through a house. I then jump up and drop kick backwards right in Celestia's face, deepening the cracks.

She stumbles back and growls at me. She then swings her sword downwards and I roll to my left and use Shunpo to get back on my feet quickly.

Luna has recovered as she runs out the building with bits of wood and dust in her coat and mane.

Celestia then opens her mouth and a deep red energy starts gathering. 'What the fuck!? She's firing a Cero!'

"LUNA! DODGE IT!" I yell at her and Jump into the air and begin firing Shō after Shō at Celestia's face. The cracks spread and bits of the mask begin to flake off.

But it wasn't enough as she fires the beam at me. I remember what Ichigo did when a Menos Grande shot at him with a Cero. So I pour my reiatsu into my zanpakuto and hold it in front of me.

The beam impacts my blade and I get sent flying backwards. I fall through the air and land on a house where I smash through the roof. "GAH!" I shout in pain as my back hits something.

I shake my head and jump out the hole. I feel a tight pressure in my chest as the reiatsu I gathered is trying to get out. I put it into my zanpakuto and look up. "Getsuga Tenshō!" I yell and swing my sword to the sky. A large black beam with a tint of red soars into the clouds, making them part. The sun now shining brightly down on the town.

I can hear metal against metal and head back to the fight. Luna has a few cuts on her as she breaths heavily.

"Face it dear, sister. You were never an equal to me!" Celestia says and lunges at her.

I use my Shunpo to intercept the attack with my sword and punch Celestia in the face. The top left of her mask comes off and she screams. Luna then brings the pommel of her sword down right between Celestia's eyes where the mask shatters completely.

"NNOOOOOO! This body is mine!" Celestia yells before her eyes roll back and she falls to the ground out cold.

"Is she okay?" Luna asks as she sits down exhausted.

I sit beside her panting as well. "She should be," I reply and open one of Celestia's eyes. It's back to its natural white and magenta. Her mane and tail are also back to normal as well.

I let my mask crumble off and put my sword away.

"What do we do now? Will it happen again?" she asks me.

"Possibly, unless you both conquer your hollow halves and gain control over them." I look at Celestia who seems to be sleeping peacefully.

"And how do we do that?" she asks.

I look back at her. "You need to learn your zanpakutos names first. Then they will guide you like mine did for me," I reply.

My stomach then rumbles again, reminding me I haven't eaten yet. I pull out the two apples from my bumbag and offer her one.

She smiles and her horn glows. She levitates the apple and takes a bite out of it and I do the same with mine.

"Celestia seems to have a lot of trust issues," I say while chewing on my apple.

"After what thou did to our ponies and what happen to us... she just distanced herself from others. She may act like a kind compassionate ruler, but she's just hurt and afraid of being alone again," Luna tells me.

I sigh as I feel Twilight's and the others reiatsu approaching. My back is still throbbing from the fall I took, this is going to be a long day.