• Published 8th Nov 2015
  • 2,347 Views, 61 Comments

End of Loyalty - SteffaniStar



After Rainbow's return to Ponyville, things got out of control, but it's even worse when an ancient evil gets his eyes on the Mane 6...

  • ...
13
 61
 2,347

Chapter 3

"Pinkie?" Rainbow froze at the spot. She was shocked, and her heart almost stopped. At first she thought she was screaming from Sugarcube Corner, because Pinkie's voice can sometimes be so loud it could break mountains, but when she turned her head, she saw hairs from her poofy, easy recognizable dark pink mane. No, she wasn't at Sugarcube Corner. She was mere meters behind her.
How could she be so swept away in her thoughts that she couldn't even tell somepony is following her? She could spot a fly and hear Twilight's crash from a mile away, but now Pinkie was mere meters behind her. She almost started panicking, but she let out a big sigh and somehow put her heartbeat back to a normal level again.

Twilight and the rest didn't move an inch. While others were looking angrily at Pinkie, thoughts raced through Twilight's mind. She started sweating, her brain blocked and she felt like she was caught in a trap. The only solution she could think of was to somehow send Pinkie to Dash, distracting her while others could run, but it was unfair. Pinkie would take all the yelling and anger, while it was Twilight that made them to follow Rainbow and ruined Pinkie's cupcake afternoon.
Then, she thought of something. It will be risky, but it was worth a try.

Just as Rainbow looked at Pinkie, a huge purple aura surrounded the bush Pinkie was hiding behind. Pinkie's mane slowly started to fade away, then reappear again, until a small explosion bursted, launching Twilight few meters back. She didn't do the spell correctly. Rainbow saw them. It was over. Running and hiding was worthless, their cover was destroyed by Pinkie's voice that could be heard even at the ends of Equestria.
She coughed a bit and stood up, ready to take all Rainbow's fear.

Rainbow's shock was even bigger now. How could her friends do this to her? How would they feel if they wanted to just spend the day on something... something so important that you would dedicate a whole day to it? I don't think they even realize what they just did to her.

"Twilight?! You're here too?" Rainbow looked at Twilight's sad eyes. Twilight was still cleaning all that ash on her fur from the failed spell.
Just about when she wanted to speak, Applejack, along with Rarity and Fluttershy, walked to her.

"We're all here" Applejack spoke, while Fluttershy was still hiding behind Rarity. She looked really worried but she was too afraid to speak, because she knew very well how Rainbow can be, and how angry she must be right now. She just hoped Rainbow could calm down and let them speak, but her thoughts were shortly cut off.

At this point, Rainbow couldn't even think right. How could her friends do this to her? No, they can't be called friends anymore. No, not after this. All her anger and sorrow was cooking up in her, but anger took over her, and she yelled, her raspy voice stung her friends' hearts like arrows.

"You were following me!? How could you even think of-" She started shouting, but she was shortly cut off by Twilight and her desperate attempts to set things right, but she couldn't. Nothing can't correct the mistake they just made.

"Rainbow, please. You have to calm down and unders-"

"Calm down!? How could you possibly expect me to calm down! Do you even realize what've you just done!? What have you just done to me!" she shouted, and despite her rage, her eyes started to water a bit.

"Look, we realized our mistake and we...You need to calm down and listen to us. We are really worried about you" Rarity and Applejack explained, but at this point all they could do is try to survive through Rainbow's lound and angry words and regret their mistakes.

Something snapped in Rainbow and warm chills ran through her body. Her shadow darkened for a moment, she felt a sharp pain in her head, but it was over soon. She couldn't take any more of their pathetic "we are worried for you" excuses. All the anger that cooked in her, all the words came to her mouth, but she loved her friends more, and just swallowed back half of her rage.

"I don't want to hear any more of your excuses! I know you just want to save yourselves! And there is a reason why I didn't tell you anything! And I won't! And you just have to let me be and get over it!" she raged back and flew over to the cloud nearest to her. A few tears ran over her cheeks but she quickly wiped them so nopony could see them.

A dark shadow ran over Twilight, her head ached. She was now angry. Nothing works. Rainbow is very stubborn and she won't give up, so maybe it is time for some... extreme measurements. She had it enough. She couldn't take her arrogance and selfishness anymore. She screamed at the cloud Dash was on.

"Fine then! Leave! Be alone! We don't give a flying feather about you! I don't know who could even care the slightest about you, you arrogant, selfish, stubborn pegasus!"

"Twilight, I know she's not the best but stop! You have to stop!" AJ screamed, but Twilight ignored her and continued.

"I don't even know why are we friends! If you weren't Element of Loyalty, I'd probably kick you out! All you do is make fun of other, bully poor Fluttershy and ramble on and on about your stupid Wonderbolts! You don't care about others so why should we about you!?"

"Twilight, stop!" Rarity and Fluttershy spoke up to her, but Twilight pushed them aside, her eyes looking almost like the ones Nightmare Moon had.

"Leave her alone girls, because that's what she is! Pathetic, miserable and alone! Noone cares about you or your Wonderbolt career! Noone cares about your flying tricks! Noone cares about your bragging! And noone cares about YOU! And I don't want to have some arrogant, brash Pegasus for a friend! And I won't! You're not our friend anymore! And I don't care if Equestria tears apart, you're not our friend anymore!" Twilight yelled, almost at the top of her lungs, while Rainbow, strangely, remained quiet on the cloud, untill the last sentence.

"TWILIGHT!" the rest shouted, pushing her over to snap herself out of it, because this wasn't her. Princess of Friendship would never say such things, especially not to her BEST friend. She wasn't normal. She was... she was evil. What was happening to her?
When Twilight realized what has she just done, she fell on her knees and started sobbing. She wanted to say sorry, to say anything, but her tears drowned her words.
Rainbow finally spoke, in a very calm tone, tears now falling freely. It was time to reveal them her backstory.

"You really wanna know what I've been struggling with my whole life? Why am I so arrogant? Why I want to be a Wonderbolt?" Rainbow calmly spoke. Twilight could only look at her, but she was too ashamed, so she turned her head aside, still sobbing.
Rainbow let out a sigh, and continued.

"One of the reasons why I wanted to be a Wonderbolt, aside because it was my dream to be the best flyer, was because I thought their life was perfect. The fame, the stunts, the skills... and a lot of friends. I've never had any friends, except Fluttershy. And ever since I did that Sonic Rainboom, more ponies were hanging around with me and I thought... I belonged somewhere. But everytime I'm not around, they find somepony else to hang around with, and I'm always left in the dust. I started saying to them that I'm awesome and cool and I was doing those cool tricks to prove them I'm the best, but more importantly, to comfort myself. Since it helped me train for the Wonderbolts, it was even better. Everytime they would tease me, I'd do that same thing. Cloudstale ponies weren't very friendly. Then it practically became the part of my character. I had nopony to tell me that was wrong, except Flutters, but I sometimes didn't let her speak. I was trying to get friends by arrogance so desperately, but, as always, I was left in the dust"

Rainbow took a short pause to wipe her tears and look at her friends, who were sobbing just like her. A tiny spark of happiness could be heard, but later, it was blown away like a lifeless leaf in autumn.

"But everything changed when I moved to Ponyville. All that joy, happines, friendship... I started making some new friends, but when I met you girls, and when I went with Twilight that very first day... I felt a spark. I felt the true friendship between you, something I've never had. I helped you that day because I saw the true friend standing in front of me. I saw the friendship you girls had. I realized Fluttershy's advices and lessons. I realized what is like... to have a friend. And now, after everything we've been through, you tell me our friendship is over?" Rainbow said to her, and she felt the half of her pain from her heart disappear. She now finally revealed her painful, broken past she's been hiding for so long.

Twilight's tears didn't allow her to talk. Her heart was now broken as Rainbow's is. She felt like all the pain from Rainbow came on her back, her regret only growing bigger.

"I'm sorry. It wasn't-" She only quietly whispered, but Rainbow cut her off. Her face turned angry and she wiped away all the tears.

"You've said enough" She said and flew away into the sky, leaving only a trace of a disappearing rainbow.

Twilight and the rest watched hopelessly, unable to do anything, to stop her... to apologize. They just now realized what that tough mare was hiding behid that powerful magenta eyes. It was her past she was running away from. Her heart was shattered into countless pieces, like a broken glass. Her scars didn't heal. They were just pushed over in a deepest corner of her heart, hoping to be forgotten, but they can't. Nothing with cuts that deep can be so easily forgotten. All the hurt, all the tears, fails... she was covering it for so long because she didn't wanted everypony to see how hurt she was. She was screaming for help, but nopony could help her.

Twilight finally calmed herself down and managed to squeak a few words, but whatever she does now will be for nothing. The damage has been made, deal with the consequences.

"I... I didn't know... why didn't she... how could I say those things?" Twilight was feeling as she was a monster. Nothing but a cruel monster that just hurt one of her best friends.
"I thought she was like that long, long ago but..."

"I... I didn't know she was dealing with all that stuff...all alone" AJ took off her hat while looking at the clear sky, Rainbow's colors fade away not long ago.

"Something's wrong, I can sense it... it's not just Rainbow. We need to find her!" Twilight stood up, her legs shaking, and spread her wings, preparing to take off, but Rarity gently put a hoof on her shoulder.

"I think she needs some time alone. You know how hard it is for her to open her feelings, even in front of her best friends. I think she just needs to rethink some stuff... and we don't want to make her even angrier. We already made things bad, please Twilight..." Rarity looked calmly at her, her deep blue eyes comforting Twilight's purple eyes, full of sorrow.

"You're right, Rarity. I've been also dealing with some stuff... and I know how it feels. Sometimes, you just have to work it out with only yourself" AJ said, her eyes tearing up a bit, but she managed to hide that. Thoughts of her parents' death left a painful scar not only on her heart, but on the hearts of the whole Apple family. She had her brother, family and friends to help her out, but nopony helped Rainbow.
Just the thoughts of that made her tears flow, but because she learnt to deal with it long ago, she managed to pull herself up very quickly.

Everypony put a hoof on Applejack, comforting her, she just smiled gently.
Rarity turned to Fluttershy, who now wasn't hiding behind her, and asked her kindly.

"Did you know that Rainbow was dealing with all that? Did she told you? I know that you were giving her some advices about friendship and her arrogance but..."

Fluttershy was sad, Pinkie comforting her with a warm smile and a hug, but her mane wasn't poofy as usual. Rainbow's sorrow deflated it like a balloon.

"I... I didn't... she never told me... I could've helped her..." Fluttershy was swept away in her thoughts, but they were soon interupted with her loud scream.