• Published 8th Dec 2015
  • 1,709 Views, 63 Comments

Just One Little Lie - PonySage86



Rainbow needs a favor. It's a simple little problem, no big deal, Honest.

  • ...
5
 63
 1,709

Meeting the Mom

"Are you absolutely sure Twilight wouldn't be a better option!?" Rarity yells as loud as she can while burying her face in Rainbow Dash's mane. Much to the fashionista's irritation the pegasus carrying her just laughs.

Wanting to waste no time in returning to her mother in Cloudsdale Rainbow Dash somehow convinced the snow white unicorn to ride on her back, much to Rarity's regret. Twilight had only a few minutes to ensure Rarity remembered the cloud walking spell she taught her in case she ever needed it. Since she's carrying a passenger Rainbow Dash is flying slower than normal, which is still faster than the average pegasus' leisure flight speed. Rainbow tried a few times to talk to the unicorn on her back only for Rarity to just scream and clamp on harder to the pegasus. It was only when Rainbow flew higher in order to reach Cloudsdale that Rarity finally spoke.

"Hey I like Twilight and everything but come on Rare, you really think Twilight could act convincingly in something like this?" Rainbow chuckles as she flies towards the cloud city. "She'd probably read a whole bunch of dating books and act like some kind of spazz. Plus ya know she's a Princess now, you sure I could get someone like that?" Rainbow Dash slowed her flight in an attempt to calm the Unicorn and it seems to have worked for the moment as Rarity finally takes her face out of her mane and the screaming has stopped. Though when she speaks she's clearly nervous.

"Oh I'm sure you could do anything you put your mind to Darling. you know what? A princess would be a much more impressive marefriend than me so why don't we land and return to Ponyville and get Twilight? That sounds good doesn't it? Let's go right now." In response to Rarity's rambling, Rainbow looks at the Mare on her back with surprise.

"Rarity? are you scared?"

"Of course not Rainbow, I am simply uh, wary of heights." Rarity turns away from the pegasus and looks up, away from the ground. "Previous experiences plummeting towards the ground have not exactly made me feel favorably towards the sky." The usually calm Fashionista admits. Rainbow just looks at her passenger for a while before looking around the sky around them. After a moment the pegasus flies off course and quickly comes across some clouds.

"Can you cast that cloud walking spell now?" Rainbow asks randomly, Rarity hesitates a moment before her horn glows and the spell takes effect. Before the unicorn can question what's going on Rainbow bucks her off her back and Rarity lands on the nearby cloud. Rainbow quickly gathers some nearby clouds together and begins combineing them with the cloud Rarity sits on confused.

Rarity just watches in confusion as the Rainbow Maned pegasus zips here and there putting many clouds around her, even stacking some around. After a bit Rainbow Dash stops to admire her work with a smile, Rarity looks around at what she is now standing on. The clouds have been formed into a box without a roof around the unicorn which at first confuses her until she looks all around from her center position in the box and realizes she can't see the ground, she only sees fluffy clouds and a pegasus that has landed on one end of her box.

"Outta sight outta mind right?" Rainbow says with a smile. Rarity looks around once more before returning the smile.

"Well thank you Darling, I do actually feel safer in here." Rarity says politely, then her eyes become half lidded and she smirks. "Oh, whatever did I do to deserve such a thoughtful Marefriend? I must find a way to reward you properly." Rainbow's cheeks take on a pink tint as her hooves slip and she falls off the cloud box suddenly. Rarity is about to run over to the side when Rainbow pops back up, her face a normal shade again.

"I'm fine, you just took me by surprise there." Rainbow waves off dismissivly before the unicorn speaks.

"That was to much wasn't it? I probably shouldn't talk like that around your mother." Rarity apologizes.

"Yeah I wouldn't recommend it." Rainbow says with a chuckle. "No need to put on a show, just be yourself."

"That I can do Darling. Now why don't we get going?" Rainbow gives a quick nod before she begins pushing the safty box of clouds to her childhood home.

*******************

The two mares arrive in Cloudsdale not much later, Rainbow deciding to simply leave the box she made on the edge of the city for the return trip to Ponyville. Rainbow helps Rarity out of the box before the two head to the hospital together. As they walk toward their destination Rarity notices that she is getting many looks, which she can understand since Unicorns are likely not common around here for obvious reasons. Though normally Rarity is one to enjoy attention, she can't help but recall the last time she had all eyes in Cloudsdale on her, The Best Young Flyer competition. Not feeling like reliving that particular memory Rarity occupys her time looking around the cloud city trying to identify what building is the hospital and try and guage Rainbow Dash's expression as they get closer to their destination. The pegasus has a confident expression that never faulters, even as the two mares arrive at the large hospital building and stand before the doors. Rainbow leans over to whisper to a slightly anxious Unicorn.

"I'd say something encouraging but I really got nothing so uh-" Rainbow gives Rarity a smile "we got this." Rarity chuckles just a little before putting on her best 'I'm going to meet my marefirend's mom' face. A mix of nervous but excited that is surprisingly easy to pull off, even as the two walk into the hospital and approach the desk.

"Hi, I'm Rainbow Dash, I'm here to see Morning Dew." The receptionist, a pink pegasus with a yellow mane pulled into a ponytail, smiles warmly as she looks at a clipboard on her desk.

"Of course Ms. Dash, she's awake and has been waiting for you to arrive. do you remember how to get to room 123?" Rainbow nods and the receptionist says goodbye as she leads Rarity to her mother's room.

Rarity reads the room numbers on the wall as the two mares pass them, the unicorn steels herself as the numbers near the one the two are looking for. Once they reach it Rainbow stops the Unicorn for a moment.

"You ready for this? You don't need to be nervous, my moms real nice."

"I'm sure she is, so shall we?" The two mares share a nod before walking into the room.

Rainbow walks up to the bed immediatly as Rarity walks slower behind the excited pegasus. She takes a moment to observe the pegasus in front of her, Moring Dew has gray fur similar to a rain cloud, her mane is a light blue and is very long with two strands in front one for each side of her face that reach to the knees of her front legs as she sits up in her hospital bed. looking at the mare in the bed, with her gentle azure eyes looking at her daughter, Rarity can't help but feel the two don't seem much alike as they greet each other.

"You're back faster than I thought." Morning Dew greets her daughter with a hug, her voice as gentle as her eyes though slightly raspy due to her illness most likely, but she definatly speaks louder and more confident than Fluttershy usually does. Rarity shakes her head lightly, unsure why she made that comparisson.

"Now, did you bring your marefriend like you said you would?" Morning Dew says with chuckle "I hope you didn't think I'd forget."

"Course not Mom, she's right here." Rainbow Dash says as she backs slightly away from her mom's bed and gestures to the unicorn politely waiting in the corner. "Mom this is Rarity, Rarity this is my mom, Morning Dew." Rarity smiles and begins walking to stand next to Rainbow next to the bed.

"A pleasure to meet you ma'am." Rarity says politely while putting out a hoof, Morning Dew takes the hoof with both of hers and shakes it enthusiatically.

"Oh it's so wonderful to meet you finally! My little Dashie has told me so much about all her friends." Morning Dew exclaims happily. "I'm glad I finally have the chance to meet one of them." Morning Dew's enthusiasm is infectious as Rarity gives a wide smile as well. Morning Dew shakes her hoof for just a little longer before returning her hoof to her side. Rarity chuckles lightly.

"It's wonderful to meet you as well, Rainbow Dash has told you about us has she? I'm afraid I can't say she did the same about you."

"Oh, I don't mind that at all. You likely didn't ask so Dashie felt no need to bring me up I'd wager." Morning Dew explains with a shrug before glanceing at her daughter. "Unless of course she's embarrassed of me."

"Course not mom." Rainbow says confidently. Morning Dew simply returns her attention to Rarity.

"So you're Rarity? Dashie told me you're a designer, is that true?"

"Yes it is. I take pride in what I do and if I may be so bold I'd say I excell at my field of expertise." Rarity answers with a smile. Morning Dew offers a kind smile in return.

"Then perhaps you could make me a dress sometime?" Both younger mare's eyes pop open in surprise at her request, almost immediatly the fashionista's eyes begin to sparkle as she looks at the older mare in bed.

"You want a dress? What is the occasion?" Morning Dew simply shrugs in response.

"Nothing special, I just think it'd be nice to have one, The clothes I do own are rather simple." The stunned unicorn falters backwards, looking like she's going to faint, Rainbow quickly steadys her and Rarity coughs to focus herself.

"You want a dress? Not for a special occasion or anything? You simply want a dress because you want one? And you actually own your own clothes already? And you actually wear them?" The Fashionista asks with growing excitement as Morning Dew nods affirmativly to every question. Rarity suddenly squeels with joy while stomping her feet in place, She turns to Rainbow with a huge smile.

"Rainbow Darling I must say I love your mother already." While Rainbow gets a laugh out of what she says, Morning Dew sits up a little straighter and looks at the two of them with a smile.

"I promise you Morning Dew, at the earliest possible convienence you must come to my boutique for measurements. I simply cannot wait to design your dress." The Fashionista says as she happily moves around the room, her mind already swimming with possible ideas. Morning Dew gestures to Rainbow and her daughter comes to her bed side.

"She does seem nice." The mother admits. "Would you mind if I ask her some questions Dashie?"

"Sure go right ahead." Rainbow answers without a single thought. Morning Dew smirks at her daughter before turning to the still excited unicorn.

"Rarity, since you're here would mind looking at some of the clothes I own? I'd like a professionals opinion on my wardrobe." Rarity beams at her.

"I'd be more than happy to help." She answers happily before her smile disappears and she raises a brow in confusion. "But wouldn't your outfits be at home? I'd prefer to see you and your clothes at the same time to give a proper opinion."

"Well isn't that to bad." Morning Dew says, but her expression causes the two younger mares to think she's up to something. The mother turns to her daughter and continues. "Dashie, why don't you fly home and grab some of my clothes for us, I'll tell you which ones to grab and you can be back in no time." Rainbow looks at her mother uncertainly before nodding and beginning to walk away.

"Sure thing mom, come on Rare let's-" Rainbow is stopped by her mother's hoof on her tail.

"Don't be silly Dashie, you'll go faster alone, Rarity can keep me company while we wait." It was at that moment both mares realized Morning Dew's plan.

"But-" Rainbow tries to protest before Rarity cuts her off with a cough.

"It'll be fine Darling, this will give your mother and I a chance to get to know each other a little better." After a moment Rainbow just nods her head and gets the list of clothes from her mother, which she almost forgot to do. Then Rainbow leaves at an appropriate speed for inside a hospital and Rarity is alone with Morning Dew, exactly what the mother wanted.

"So, I assume you want to talk?" Rarity asks while taking a seat near Morning Dew's bed.

"I did." The Mother replies with a nod. "I've found lies are easier to notice when no one else is around to confirm them." She claims with nonchalance. Rarity is taken by surprise.

"Pardon me?"

"How did my daughter ask you out?" Morning Dew asks suddenly.

"How- she- wha-" Rarity coughs to clear her thoughts. "Rainbow Dash gathered all of us to together, me and the other girls and with some hesitation she... Well she asked me out, I honestly wasn't expecting it. She wasn't very romantic about it though which I admit I expected." Morning Dew just looks at Rarity as she speaks, her expression giving away nothing of what she was thinking.

"That would be how long ago now?"

"Well, I believe it was about a week ago. Things have been going well so far."

"I see" Morning Dew says as she looks away. "But answers like that can be rehearsed, let's move on." Rarity opens her eyes in surprise at Morning Dew's observance. Rarity has to admit that she is correct, as those answers had been practiced for those exact questions. The snow white unicorn can't help but be impressed as Rainbow's mother likely deduced what was going on as soon as Rainbow said she was dating somepony. Rarity will have to be truly convincing as Morning Dew seems quite clever.

"Darling is a rather affectionate petname for somepony you've dated for a week."

"Oh don't misunderstand, that's simply how I talk. I call all of my friends that."

"You and Dashie are quite different, does that make things difficult?"

"Well I won't give you the 'opposites attract' cliche, even though I do find that quite romantic. Personally I feel it's better to be with somepony that isn't terribly similar to yourself, makes things more interesting."

"Dashie told me you were interested in Prince Blueblood Once."

"He's a selfish Mule that can rot in Tartarus." That actually seems to make Morning Dew laugh while Rarity just huffs. "Besides, I'm an open minded pony, especially when it comes to matters of the heart."

Morning Dew turns to face Rarity again, the unicorn tenses slightly, assuming the big questions are coming.

"Why did you agree to date my daughter?" Rarity halts for a moment, not quite sure how to respond, the unicorn stammers for a minute while hoping that doesn't give her away. After some thought she answers slowly.

"Well she has saved me a few times, no that's not why." Rarity shakes her head "I'm not just some damsel." Rarity looks down at the floor in thought. "Rainbow is always so confident, obnoxiously so at times, but that confidence can be quite charming at times as well. Her heart is more often than not in the right place and she'll help you if you need her, not to mention she is incredibly loyal obviously. Oh she can be so frustrating at times, but even still she can make you laugh." Rarity looks back up at Morning Dew. "She has this 'I can do anything' attitude but if she lets you, you can see she too has fears and insecurities like everypony else and under all her boasting and 'awesomness' as she calls it there's a sensitive mare there." Rarity holds Morning Dew's gaze for a little longer before looking away shyly. "Plus she's pretty easy on the eyes." The mother doesn't out right laugh at that but she does smile. When Rarity looks back, Morning Dew steels herself for one last question.

"Do you love her?"

"WHAT!?" Rarity begins to scream before covering her mouth. She takes a moment to study the older mares face but finds her impossible to read. Rarity thinks quickly on what to say, what the mother wants her to say but dismisses that thought immediatly. Rarity lowers the hooves covering her mouth and answers uneasily.

"N-No, no I don't. While she is one of closest friends and I do like her very much, it is far to soon in our relationship for me say my feelings are that strong." Rarity answers honestly, to her surprise Morning Dew's face erupts with joy, a smile seems to reach from ear to ear.

"Well done Rarity, well done indeed." Morning Dew says while clapping her hooves. "You answered every question and kept your cool, I'm impressed."

"So I'd be correct in assuming that was some kind of test?" Rarity asks with a raised brow. "A test of what exactly may I ask?"

"I had to know if you and my daughter are really dating. I found it a little suspect that she announced she had a marefriend as soon as she found out I'm in the hospital." Morning Dew explains while crossing her front legs.

"Like I said the first couple questions had easily rehearsed answers. But your answers to the later ones sounded genuine to me." The mother continues. Rarity opens both eyes wide in realization.

"You were hoping I'd say no to the love question." Rarity claims with surprise, somepony with less social experience likely would have said yes right away to try and convince her, but in doing so would give her the most proof that they were trying to trick her. Morning Dew nods excitedly.

"Exactly! You two have been dating a week, saying yes to that would mean you're trying to hard to convince me or you're moving way to fast. Maybe it could be true but I don't take chances like that." Morning Dew proclaims with a smile. Rarity sighs in relief to herself, glad she'd gotten through that.

"Well don't you worry Morning Dew, I promise we won't rush into anything." Rarity assures her, Morning Dew smiles and lays her head down on the pillows of her bed. "We haven't really even been on a real date yet. Silly as that sounds."

"Really?" Morning Dew asks lazily, Rarity noticing that her voice has become quieter. "You should fix that, I wanna hear all about it next time."

"Alright! I'm back!" Rainbow yells as she returns to the room. "Sorry it took so long, took me awhile to figure out which ones you wanted." She explains while placing various garments on chairs and the bed so she doesn't have to hold them any longer. Morning Dew looks at the clothes one at a time, occasionally with a frown.

"Dashie, I was hoping to make a good fashion impression." Morning Dew mumbles, seeing that many of the outfits had rather muted colors, a couple even being gray. Though that was inevitable as her wardrobe has many outfits that aren't very brightly colored. "Though I guess I do dress for comfort rather than style anyway." The mother picks one thing out in particular "Why did you bring that one?" She asks with a raised brow, she refers to a sun dress sitting at the edge of the bed. The simple garment is a cyan blue and has no distinctive patterns or shapes. Rainbow looks at it for a second before answering.

"Oh right, you didn't ask for that one. Well I kinda like it so I grabbed it, you used to wear this one all the time while I was practicing in flight school." Rainbow admits, a brief smile on her face at the memory of zipping through the sky as her mother watched with a smile.

"That's right" Morning Dew mumbles with a smile. "I hadn't thought of that one, but I do like it, thank you for bringing everything Dashie." Morning Dew lazily turns to address Rarity. "So what do you think? Will I scare you off with my poor fashion choices?" The older mare jokes quietly. Rarity responds with a smile.

"I'll admit I was expecting something a bit more vibrant, but I'd have to say it all looks like it'd fit you nicely enough." the unicorn winces slightly. "Though I don't like all of it, for example you have a few gray garments while your fur is already gray so they won't exactly stand out." Rarity smiles sweetly. "I admit I'd have to see you wearing these to know for sure how they look on you. But based on what I see I think it's ok." The Fashionista looks at Rainbow apologetically. "Though based on my interactions with you Darling I'd have to say that fashion consciousness is not hereditary." Rainbow Dash glares at her, though there is no real anger in the look, the pegasus enventually just shrugs. Morning Dew giggles softly.

"Well I'm glad you approve but-" The older pegasus closes her eyes for a moment before opening them slowly. "I'm feeling rather tired right now, thank you for talking with me Rarity." Morning Dew than gestures with a hoof and Rainbow moves to her side.

"You haven't told them have you?" Morning Dew says with a sleepy accusitory look. Rainbow shakes her head, not even needing to ask what her mother means. "Well at least tell her." The mother inclines her head toward Rarity. "I kinda like her and they all deserve to know anyway."

"OK Mom."

"I'm gonna sleep for a little while now, next time you visit I wanna hear all about how Scootaloo's practice is going, among other things ok?" Rainbow Dash promises her mother and Morning Dew gives her daughter a kiss on the cheek before closing her eyes fully. The older mare falls asleep quickly, though her breathing is a little uneven.

"Come on, let's go." Rainbow whispers before the two mares make their way out of the room. Rainbow looks at Rarity while they make their way down the hall. "So what'd you think?"

"I think I quite like you mother." Rarity admits. "She has a good head on her shoulders and I look forward to speaking with her again."

"What'd you guys talk about while I was gone?" The pegasus asks nervously.

"Oh I wouldn't worry about it Rainbow Dash." Rarity states dismissivly. "All I have to say is that your mother does seem to believe we are together and I now fully agree that the other girls may not have been able to convince her as I hope I have." The fashionista looks at Rainbow questioningly. "Now is there something you'd like to tell me Darling?"

"So you heard that huh?" Rainbow asks while looking away. Rarity decides not to bring up the fact the two pegasi hadn't even been whispering.

"If you're not quite ready to talk, that's fine." Rarity says as the two near the hospital's exit. "You can wait to tell me on our date." The fashionista compromises as she continues walking, not noticing her companion had stopped and was staring wide eyed at her.

"OUR WHAT!?"