• Published 8th Dec 2015
  • 1,709 Views, 63 Comments

Just One Little Lie - PonySage86



Rainbow needs a favor. It's a simple little problem, no big deal, Honest.

  • ...
5
 63
 1,709

The Second Date

"Alright, not bad squirt." Rainbow Dash says, a hint of competition in her voice, Scootaloo smiles. Scootaloo sits in a chair confidently as a spoon hangs off both her left and right ear and two spoons hang off her nose, one on the left side the other on her right. Rainbow Dash sits next to her on a table in the same situation

The two ponies sit together at a table in a large gymnasium sized building, Along with the show Hoity Toity organized a large dinner for everypony involved in the show and their families that came out to see it. Everypony is sitting around talking and having a good time before they head to bed tonight. Rainbow Dash and Scootaloo started a little game together.

"OK Scoots, try this one." Rainbow says with a grin before grabbing another spoon and licking it, she then sticks out her tongue and places the spoon on the tip of it. Scootaloo mimics her actions and both ponies stay perfectly still and watch each other, Rainbow has to prevent herself from smiling when she sees Scootaloo's mouth twitch, knowing whats about to happen. Sure enough a moment later Scootaloo lets out an involuntary yawn which causes her spoons to fall off her face, Rainbow grins in triumph as she collects the spoons and places them back on the table. "Almost had me Squirt, maybe next time."

Sitting across the table from the now laughing Pegasi are Rarity and Sweetie Belle, looking at her sister Rarity sees Sweetie Belle smile at her before grabbing a spoon and licking it, the filly hangs the spoon off the side of her left ear and gives an expectant look. Rarity holds up a spoon and laughs nervously.

"Oh, I think you've bested me Sweetie Dear." Rarity says as she places the spoon back down. Looking around the table she sees Rainbow and Scootaloo's expectant looks as well as Sweetie Belle's pleading puppy dog eyes. Rarity sighs in defeat as she mimics Sweetie Belle's actions. "Happy now? I'm just like everypony else." All the other ponies at the table laugh and clap lightly for her, Rarity can't help but laugh too, though her laughing actually causes her spoon to fall off her ear. She looks down at the spoon now on the floor before looking up in embarrassment.

"I win!" Sweetie Belle chirps happily.

Elsewhere in the after party area, Trixie finds herself looking over a table of food trying to pick the best option, she's pulled from her thoughts by a voice behind her.

"Hi Trixie." Trixie turns around at the familiar voice and sees Twilight standing there, Trixie immediately backs up defensively and gestures a hoof at her.

"Before you say anything Sparkle, know that Trixie did not intend for Rarity to call Trixie her friend and while yes in the spur of the moment Trixie was touched by the gesture, know that we are business associates, we are not quite friends." The Showmare places her hoof down and swishes her cape so it flutters and covers part of her face. Twilight just looks at her in confusion.

"Trixie, it'd be fine if you were friends with my friends." Twilight assures her. "But that's not why I came over to talk to you."

"Trixie is confused, you're not angry at Trixie for accidentally stealing your friend." Twilight just rolls her eyes. "And Trixie has not done anything wrong, nor has she stolen any relics or tried to destroy you." Trixie says carefully. "So what is your purpose here?"

"I just wanted to ask you about that magic you used during the show. It was incredible." Twilight says happily. Trixie looks at her skeptically.

"Well it was Trixie's own magic abilities encase you're wondering, Trixie practiced those illusions for a very long time. For this show and Trixie's own show as well."

"Trixie I'm not suspecting you of anything." Twilight insists with a sigh.

"Trixie would be suspicious if she was in your hooves." Trixie says nonchalantly. "You'd have to be pretty foolish to trust Trixie so easily considering what she did last time we met."

"So you're saying Rainbow Dash and Rarity are foolish?" Twilight remarks, remembering Rarity explaining the situation when Trixie had first returned to Ponyville to help with the show. She remembers being happy when she'd heard how quickly Rainbow Dash had offered her the job after meeting her in Manehattan. At Twilight's remark, Trixie looks at the Princess with a scowl.

"How dare you call them Foolish!" Trixie scolds angrily. "They are wonderful ponies!" Twilight can't help but chuckle a little.

"I know, they are two of my best friends after all." Trixie looks at her unamused.

"Trixie thinks you just tricked her."

"I don't think so." Twilight responds casually.

"Whatever." Trixie huffs. "Anyway, If you want to know about Trixie's illusions she supposes she could teach you sometime." Trixie can't help but notice the word 'teach' seems to get the Princess' attention. "But not now, Trixie is a very busy mare." A sudden loud voice captures both ponies attention.

"Trixie!" A filly shouts as she seems to come out of nowhere and tackle the showmare. "By golly that was the finest display of magic I've ever seen! You're the greatest Trixie!" Ace gushes in her trademark accent. She hugs the showmare tightly and hangs off her as she stands back up, Ace's grip doesn't loosen even when Trixie tries to pull her off with magic.

"Nice to see you too Ace." Trixie says warmly as she pats the filly's head. With Ace dangling from her She looks at Twilight with a look that seems to say 'Go ahead, laugh, see what happens'.

"So, who's this?" Twilight asks with a smile, Ace stops nuzzling into Trixie's side and looks at the Princess standing only a few feet away, she falls to the floor and stands up before bowing respectfully.

"My name is Ace Service Ma'am, Everypony just calls me Ace though." The filly introduces herself. "Allow me to say what an honor it is to meet one of Equestria's Princesses and the second greatest magician ever."

"Second?" Twilight says slowly, Twilight is no braggart but after all her years of study and practice she'd silently hoped she'd earned that particular title.

"Yeah, Trixie's number one of course." Ace gushes as she tries to cling to the showmare again, only for Trixie's magic to grab hold of her and put her on the floor.

"This is Trixie's cousin." Trixie clarifies. "And her biggest fan."

Twilight nods her head, however before her mind can assume Ace thinks Trixie's the best because she's family, Twilight is struck with a thought. Namely the fact that Trixie performed a lot of big illusions in succession during the show, Illusion magic being something Twilight herself had never even used.

"Your cousin certainly is talented." Twilight says to Ace. "That's why I was asking her about the magic she used during the show."

"Well you'd never find a better tutor on that subject by Jove." Ace replies happily. "She's helping me with my magic tomorrow, maybe she can help you too." Twilight just nods along with Ace's excitement, briefly wondering if she should be offended the filly just assumed she needed magic lessons. Whatever the case Trixie seems to be amused.

"Isn't she great?" Trixie chuckles while patting Ace on the head. "But Ace, where's your mom? You know better than to run off alone."

"Sorry Trixie, I was just so excited to see you." Ace turns and scans the crowd before jumping and waving at somepony. "Mommy! I'm over here!" It only takes a few moments for Stargazer to make her way over.

"There you are Ace, Thank you Trixie." Stargazer smiles happily as she turns her head, her eyes go wide upon noticing the Alicorn standing nearby. "Oh my, Princess Twilight. It is an honor to meet you." Stargazer bows low, Twilight chuckles nervously, still not used to Princess treatment.

"It's quite alright, you can stand up." Twilight insists, to which Stargazer stands up slowly. "I was just speaking to Trixie about her part in the show tonight."

"A Princess personally speaking to my niece? Trixie I had no idea you knew royalty."

"Trixie doesn't." Trixie insists. "This is the first time we've met." Twilight raises an eyebrow.

"It is?"

"Yes it is." Trixie says while making a lip zipping motion when her aunt isn't looking. "Trixie has never been to the princess' home in Ponyville before." Twilight realizes very quickly why Trixie wouldn't want her family to know about the two previous interactions so she nods her head.

"That's true, I just saw her perform in the show and was curious about the illusion magic she used, namely where she learned it."

"Oh, well I hope I wasn't interrupting." Stargazer apologizes. "Come along Ace, we need to get going."

"Aww, But mum, I want to spend time with Trixie." Ace whines. Stargazer's horn lights up and an aura appears around Ace's ear, the filly reluctantly follows behind her mother.

"I'm sorry Ace but it's already past your bedtime. Say goodnight." Ace turns around as best she can and tips an imaginary hat.

"Cheers loves, I'll see you next time." Trixie and Twilight just wave goodbye as they watch the eccentric filly leave.

"Your family seems nice." Twilight says with a smile.

"Trixie knows that." Trixie says nonchalantly. Trixie just stands still for awhile, something seemingly on the tip of her tongue. She almost seems conflicted but in the end decides she wants to go down this particular Rabbit hole and looks at Twilight seriously. "Sparkle, why does your country friend hate Trixie?"

"What? You mean Applejack?" Twilight asks, completely taken by surprise.

"Yes, the one with the hat. What did Trixie do to wrong her?" Confusion is laced into every word. "Before whatever she did with the Alicorn Amulet, honestly Trixie's memory is rather fuzzy on that one."

"Well you magically hogtied her with her own rope didn't you?" Twilight offers.

"No, no, before that." Trixie says insistently, Twilight's confusion only gets bigger.

"I'm fairly certain you'd never met before that."

"Then why does she hate Trixie?"

"Hate is a rather strong word." Twilight defends. "Why would you think that?"

"Because she interrupted Trixie's show and challenged Trixie's abilities right on stage!" Trixie says with annoyance. "Which led to Trixie embarrassing your friends and challenging you and then the Ursa Minor happened and yadda yadda." Trixie then gestures to herself. "Trixie is willing to accept and has accepted that she causes her own problems, Trixie would just like to know Specifically what she did to warrant the events that resulted in her becoming a laughing stalk plotting revenge against you."

Twilight would love to answer her, to clear the air and put everything on the table for her to see, but she can't. Twilight racks her brain to try and remember all the details of that day so long ago, however as hard as she tried the Princess simply couldn't put down what exactly it was. Relaxing from her thoughtful stance she looks at the showmare only to see her giving a smug grin.

"That is Trixie's challenge Sparkle. When you can answer that question." Trixie just shrugs noncommittally as she looks away, only glancing at Twilight through the corner of her eye. "That is when Trixie will teach you about her illusion magic." Feeling she's done with this conversation Trixie leaves promptly. Twilight tries to locate her but her cape and hat have somehow blended into the crowd. Twilight decides to sit down at her table and think.

Meanwhile, elsewhere in the room.

Calm down Rainbow Dash. The Rainbow Pegasus thinks to herself. It was just a kiss on the cheek. It's not like she hasn't done it before. Rainbow can't help but think back fondly to the other time Rarity had kissed her on the cheek, when she'd agreed to be in the show in the first place. Heck she'd even kissed Rarity's cheek before when they taught Scootaloo how to glide, The Pegasus tries to convince herself that maybe it's just something close friends do. Yeah sure it is. She thinks sarcastically. That's why I can't imagine myself kissing any of my other friends. Rainbow just sits in her chair silently letting her mind wander.

This time was different than before. Rainbow thinks to herself as her heart is still beating quickly from the event, though it's pace has lessened. The first one was an impulse, a way of saying thank you. She meant to do this one. Rainbow reasons, she then puts her head in her hooves. Ugh, I am thinking way to much.

"Hello Rainbow Dash." Rarity says as she sits down at the table next to her friend. "Well their all out."

"All three? Still?" Rainbow asks skeptically.

"Like lights." Rarity assures. They are referring to the Cutiemark Crusaders who due to the late hour of the after party had all ended up falling asleep, A combination of a lullaby from Fluttershy and Rainbow reading from a Daring Do book had made them all drift off. Rainbow had left to mull over her thoughts while they put the fillies onto a mattress Discord created and would later transport back to Ponyville.

"I gotta say Rare." Rainbow says happily. "You put on one heck of a show."

"It was thanks to You and Trixie." Rarity waves off. "It wouldn't have been nearly as good without you."

"Our pleasure." Rainbow chuckles, the two mares sit in comfortable silence for a bit.

"Soooo...." Rarity says slowly while glancing at Rainbow from the corner of her eyes. "You lied to me."

"What?" Rainbow asks in confusion, wondering where that had come from.

"When you agreed to be in the show you didn't accept bits." Rarity clarifies. "Instead of payment you simply said that at some point you'd ask me for a favor and I had to go along with it. Getting on stage with you during the show was it wasn't it?"

"Yeah, Me and Coco planned it the day I heard about the show." Rainbow explains.

"So you lied to me." Rarity looks at the confused Pegasus with a cheeky smile. "Cause technically it was Coco Pommel who asked me to get on stage with you."

"Oh Sweet Celestia." Rainbow laughs while shaking her head. "It counts, it was my idea."

"I know Darling." Rarity assures her. "It was very thoughtful of you." Rarity gives Rainbow a big genuine smile which the Ace Flier returns.

"I have my moments."

"Believe me I know." Rarity says happily. "I've seen how good you are with Scootaloo, It's little wonder Caregiver trusts you with her."

"Thanks Rare."

"Actually..." Rarity says slowly, Looking intently at Rainbow Dash. "I've been thinking... Are you-"

"Rainbow Dash?" Upon hearing her name the Ace Flier turns around and sees a mare walking over, she has a blue suit over her yellow fur and her spiky flame colored hair is styled up. She has sunglasses over her eyes.

"Spit Fire?" Rainbow asks in confusion. "What are you doing here?"

"My sister is one of the models so I came to watch the show." The Wonderbolt explains. "I wasn't expecting to see you here, I'll admit you looked pretty good on stage though. Should I be worried about you changing careers?"

"I don't think so, I had a lot of fun but this scene still really isn't for me." Rainbow waves off. Spit Fire leans over to look behind Rainbow Dash.

"You're Rarity right? Your outfits where the best part of the show." Spit Fire leans in to whisper. "Don't tell my sister I said that."

"No worries, I have experience keeping secrets." Rarity assures the Wonderbolt. Spit Fire stands up straight and addresses Rainbow Dash while gesturing over to a serving table.

"I'm gonna go get a drink, you wanna come Rainbow Dash?" Spit Fire inquires. "I'd like to talk more."

"That sounds great." Rainbow stops and turns to her friend. "No, wait." Rainbow turns back to Spit Fire. "Sorry, but I'm hanging with Rare, maybe some other time."

"Nonsense." Rarity says suddenly, she makes shooing gestures with her hooves. "It's fine Rainbow Dash, I don't mind."

"You sure?" Rainbow stares a Rarity who ends up nodding in return, Rainbow smiles gently. "Alright, I'll be back soon." And with that Rainbow Dash heads over to the table with Spit Fire, Rarity watches as they go.

Rarity smiles happily, she knows this is important to her friend and is pleased she could help her talk to somepony she'd always admired even if she only helped a little bit, She's truly happy for her friend.

For about five seconds.

As Rarity observes the two ponies interacting she finds herself frowning, taping her hoof impatiently awaiting Rainbow's return And wondering what Spit Fire had said that was so funny.

"Hi Rarity!" Pinkie Pie chirps as she sits down at the table, she then looks at all the seating places on it. "Where's Dashie?"

"Over there." Rarity shrugs a hoof in the Pegasus' direction. The fashionista levitates her own drink with her magic but the glass cup just ends up floating in midair as she gets distracted.

"Wasn't she here with you?" Pinkie ponders out loud.

"With me? This isn't a date Pinkie Pie."

"I know, I know." Pinkie puts up her hooves defensively. "Still that mare must be special if she got Dashie to blow you off like that."

"Their just getting a drink." The Fashionista insists.

"They have drinks." Pinkie responds. "Looks like their having a good time too."

"Whatever." Rarity huffs in an unladylike manner. "She can't be that interesting." Rarity's cup wiggles slightly.

"I've never seen her laugh that hard at something You've said." Pinkie remarks casually.

"It's not a big deal." Rarity waves off.

"Know what Dashie told me once?" Pinkie inquires, she doesn't get an answer but continues anyway. "She told me she has a crush on Spit Fire." Rarity's eyes pop open and her cup shakes in the air for a couple seconds.

"Oh really?" Rarity responds as calmly as possible. "That's extra good for her then."

"They've really hit it off." Pinkie observes. "Good for Dashie right? Maybe this whole dating thing can go away."

"What?" Rarity asks, not taking her eyes off the two Pegasus, her cup rattles longer than before.

"I'm just saying they've probably got a lot in common to talk about, both being Ace Fliers you know." Pinkie says as she watches the two, the two Pegasus are standing together but not terribly close, Pinkie smiles a little as she hides behind Rarity. "Think their gonna kiss?"

The sound of glass shattering startles everypony in the room.

Rarity blinks in confusion as she looks around the room, unsure of what just happened, though she feels a slight sting on her left cheek. She scans the room trying to tell who everypony is looking at, only to realize it's her. Looking a little up and to the left Rarity sees her magic aura is holding onto only part of a glass cup as the rest sits on the table in pieces. Before she can formulate a thought about that she notices concerned magenta eyes looking at her from across the table, Rainbow Dash had moved back over to the table to check on her friend without anypony noticing she'd moved at all.

"Rarity are you OK?" Rainbow says with worry.

"I'm fine Rainbow Dash." Rarity insists. "Just a little magical mishap is all." Rainbow just lifts up a hoof and edges it close to Rarity's face before putting it down.

"Come on Rare." Rainbow Dash says as she urges the fashionista to follow her. Rarity smiles warmly.

"Really, I'm fine Rainbow Dash." However, Rarity does allow the Ace Flier to pull her along by her hoof, Rainbow grabs something from Fluttershy before the two actually leave the main party area, activity in the room slowly continues once the door closes behind the departing elements.

"The Wonderbolt is a non-issue." Pinkie says to nopony in particular, though her chaotic accomplice does hear her. Turning around she spots Spit Fire now standing alone, the party pony waves and catches the Wonderbolt's attention before holding up a hoof. If Pinkie had fingers it's possible she'd be making an obscene gesture, but since she doesn't Spit Fire is just confused when the pink pony walks away.

AN EMPTY ROOM OUTSIDE THE AFTER PARTY

"Rainbow Dash, I'm fine." Rarity insists, though her friend continues rummaging around in the bag she took from Fluttershy, which Rarity can now tell is a first aid kit. The two ponies sit in an empty room likely used to store the chairs and tables for the party room but nothings in it now. Rarity and Rainbow sit on the floor while Rainbow gets what she needs.

"Hold still." Rainbow finally says as she holds a pair of tweezers in her hooves, Rarity flinches a little as the tweezers get near her face but doesn't move. Rainbow clamps the tweezers down and then pulls them back, a sharp pain goes through Rarity's cheek before it stops and is replaced by a dull sting. Looking at the tweezers as they pull away Rarity sees that they cling onto a shard of glass. Gasping in surprise Rarity puts a hoof to her cheek and when she pulls it away from her face, sure enough theres a little blob of red on it.

"That was in my cheek?" Rarity says in disbelief, she can't believe she hadn't noticed that. She tries to put her hoof back up to her cheek only for Rainbow Dash to grab her hoof and stop her.

"Don't touch it." Rainbow warns, Rarity is surprised by the concern on her face and laced in her voice. Taking more supplies from the first aid kit Rainbow begins cleaning the wound. She goes slowly and carefully and soon she's satisfied with her work and places a bandage on the wound.

"I'm not a doctor but that probably won't leave a scar." Rainbow shrugs, she then looks at Rarity. "So, what happened?"

"I'm not sure Darling, I was just holding my cup. I guess I must have put to much magic into the spell and broken it by accident." Rarity tries explaining. Rainbow looks thoughtful. "Why are you so worried?"

"We're friends, I'm allowed to be worried." Rainbow defends. Rarity is still a little touched by the concern. "Now, I'm guessing accidentally doing something like that doesn't happen often. Is there something bothering you?"

"No, not at all." Rarity insists. "We just had an amazing show, I'm very happy."

"Good point." Rainbow concedes, she then thinks for a few moments. "We still have time before the train comes right?"

"Well yes, the last train to Ponyville tonight won't be leaving for at least an hour and a half."

"Great, cause I have an idea." Rainbow smiles brightly. "Rarity, wanna go on a date with me?"

"Right now?"

"It's the perfect time." Rainbow insists. "We'll be back before the train leaves."

"I suppose it has been quite awhile since we went on our first one." Rarity muses. "I accept. What did you have in mind?"

"You'll see. I just need to go ask Fluttershy to watch the girls while we're gone." Rainbow stands up and heads for the door.

"Darling, wait!" Rarity blurts out. Rainbow looks back in confusion. "What about Spitfire? How many chances will you get to speak to her in such a casual setting?"

Rainbow just smiles while shaking her head. "I'm not gonna leave you hanging Rare, You're more important." Rainbow then turns back and heads out the door.

Rarity just stares at the doorway for a couple moments before standing up and following after her friend.

"So you really don't mind?" Rarity hears Rainbow Dash asking as she walks in to room, she sees Rainbow and Fluttershy nearby, the bed holding the sleeping crusaders sits behind the two.

"I don't mind at all." Fluttershy assures her friend. "Me and Discord will watch them while your gone." Fluttershy's soft voice then lowered to a barely audible whisper. "Are you really taking her to-" Rainbow waves her hooves to silence her friend, though Rarity wonders if she could actually hear what the yellow Pegasus had said.

"Ssh!" Rainbow shushes. "It's gonna be awesome." Rainbow turns around and smiles at her friend still standing in the doorway.

"You ready to go Rare?"

"I suppose I am." Rarity gives a playful smile. "What are getting me into this time Darling?"

Rainbow Dash just laughs as she wordlessly begins leading Rarity outside.


SOON: THE STREETS ON CANTERLOT

"Oh this is ridiculous." Rarity whines as the two ponies walk down the street. "A spring day should not be this cold." The temperature was oddly low, not nearly bad enough to see your breath but still a very unpleasant chill.

"Yeah, I have no idea what the weather team is thinking around here." Rainbow muses while scanning the sky, as if looking for something. She then turns her attention to Rarity. "Here, let me help you." Rainbow drapes a wing over Rarity and pulls her closer. The wing is warm and soft.

"Such a gentlemare." Rarity jokes. Rainbow rolls her eyes. "In all seriousness that does actually help." Unconsciously Rarity moves a little closer so the wing wraps around just a bit more.

"Anytime." Rainbow assures, returning her gaze to the sky.

"Quite enraptured aren't we." Rarity says with a smile while observing Rainbow's gaze.

"Course, the sky has always been my home." Rainbow says with nostalgia.

"That is true." Rarity says while looking to the sky as well. "I'm sorry I'm not as fond of it as you are."

"Given your history with it I'm not surprised." Rainbow admits. "Maybe I can change that someday."

"Taking up miracles now Darling?" Both mares get a laugh from that. Rainbow nudges Rarity playfully.

"We'll see." Rainbow suddenly stops and smiles brightly. "Alright, here we go."

"Oh, where are we?" Rarity looks around, and her jaw drops when she spots a large immaculately designed building across the street. "That's 'Radiant Sunrise' The finest and grandest restaurant in all of Canterlot." Rarity gushes with excitement, surprised the building is open so late. Rainbow Dash follows Rarity's gaze and looks at the indicated structure.

"Huh... Neat." Rainbow says eventually, she removes her wing from Rarity's body and crouches down like she's going to take off. "Now hop on, we gotta go."

"Excuse me?" Rarity says with clear confusion.

"Hop on, I found what I was looking for." Rainbow explains while using her wings to gesture to her back.

"The sky? That's where you want to go?" Rarity questions. "What about what we were just talking about?"

"You know I won't let anything happen to you." Rainbow says while still gesturing to her back.

"OK." Rarity sighs. "I trust you Rainbow Dash." Rarity looks around the street and finds it mostly empty, glad that nopony will see her, Rarity gets onto Rainbow's back and the Ace Flier carries them both into the air.

"It's been awhile since I carried you like this, We don't exactly have a cloud box to carry you on." Rainbow says, a small smile on her face.

"Wherever you're taking me." Rarity says slowly, she then puts her face into Rainbow's mane. "Just let me know when we get there."

"Alright, just hold on tight." Rainbow instructs before grunting. "Not quite that tight."

Rainbow Dash flies up into the air with her friend on her back, it doesn't take long for Rarity to feel the soft wispy feeling of clouds around her, but she doesn't dare peek yet. To Rarity's confusion they continue going even after breaking through the clouds, she can feel them getting higher and higher. eventually she feels Rainbow Dash stop and bring in her wings, indicating that they've landed.

"Landed?" Rarity thinks to herself. "We passed the clouds, what did we land on?"

"OK Rare, we're here." Rainbow declares. "Cast your cloud walking spell and stand up."

Rarity does as she's instructed, after the spell is active she slowly pulls herself away from her friend's mane and climbs off her back. Looking around Rarity sees that the two have landed on a cloud, much higher up than the other clouds, though there is another smaller one nearby. Rarity gazes around in wonder, the sky seems to stretch on forever in all directions, she feels no fear though. There is no ground to see, no visible evidence of what could happen if she falls. The night sky and all it's stars spread out like an endless ocean, she almost feels like she could reach out and touch the moon. It's much colder up here than on the ground but Rarity almost doesn't notice it, numbly the stunned mare falls backward and sits on the cloud next to Rainbow Dash.

"What is this?" Rarity nearly whispers as she continues to soak in the sights around her.

"This is where I go when I wanna feel absolutely free." Rainbow sighs in contentment as she lays backward on the cloud. "It's like the world doesn't even exist when I'm up here, just an endless sky, filled with endless possibilities."

"What are these clouds doing up here?" Rarity finds herself asking, if only to not get completely lost in the sky.

"Clouds we create don't last forever." Rainbow begins. "Eventually they use up what their made of and disappear, or their taken back and used for different weather." Rainbow gestures lazily. "These two? Their different, Their placed so high up that nopony will find them unless their looking for them. They've been up here for a long time, drifting all over the world. I was kinda hoping I was right when I thought I saw them." Rainbow smiles just a little. "My mom showed them to me, way back when."

"She did?" Rarity asks as she looks down at her friend laying on the cloud. "This place must be very important to you."

"It's very important to my family." Rainbow states simply. Rarity just watches her in stunned silence, eventually the fashionista lays down on the cloud too, right next to her friend.

"She seems like an amazing mare." Rarity sighs happily. "She'll be so glad to hear when you follow in her hoofsteps." At that Rainbow Dash looks at her in confusion, Rarity just smiles as she looks her friend in the eyes. "Well, you are going to show Scootaloo this place right?"

"What? When?" Rainbow asks, Rarity can see a slight blush on her cheeks.

"After you adopt her of course." Rarity says as her smile becomes a smirk, Rainbow Dash speaks incoherently for a few moments.

"How could you possibly-"

"I saw the head of an Orphanage hand you a stack of papers Rainbow Dash." Rarity says with a deadpan expression. Rainbow sits up on the cloud and Rarity follows her. "Why didn't you tell me? Or anypony for that matter?" Rainbow Dash curls her back hooves up and rests her forelegs on them and places her head on top of them.

"I don't want Scootaloo to know." Rainbow admits. "The evaluation process is almost done, I want to make sure I actually have her before I go getting her hopes up."

"That's sweet of you." Rarity says with a happy smile. "But I wouldn't be worried Rainbow Dash. You're Rainbow Dash! The Element of loyal-" Rarity stops when a cyan blue hoof is placed over her mouth.

"I don't want that." Rainbow says as she looks at her friend with a serious expression. "If I'm actually allowed to adopt Scootaloo, I want it to be because I'm good enough. Not cause I'm an element of harmony, or a hero, or cause I'm friends with a Princess. But because Rainbow Dash, the ordinary mare, is good enough."

"Oh." Is all Rarity says in response. She looks up at the stars overhead, quietly getting lost in the uncountable number of shining lights. "I'm still not worried." Rarity finally says. "You're Rainbow Dash after all. I would feel a tad silly worrying about you after everything we've been through."

"Thanks Rare." Rainbow says as her eyes flutter closed, she shakes her head a little bit and chuckles into her knees. "Some Date Right?"

"Well, I feel I know you a little better." Rarity explains. "And the scenery is breath taking." She shrugs. "I'd say this is in the top two."

"Of the two dates we've had?" Rainbow questions.

"Exactly." Rarity smiles. "And for what it's worth, I believe you'd make a good mother." Rainbow Dash almost seems to recoil at that.

"Guardian." She says with an insistent voice. "Not Mother, Guardian."

"Don't be Bashful Darling." Rarity giggles. Rainbow groans loudly.

"Subject change." Rainbow says while rubbing her forehead. "I feel like the more things I say, the more I'm giving you a road map to my brain."

"Well I certainly have a much better picture of what makes you tick than I used to." Rarity says happily. "But very well, what are you thinking?"

"Well...." Rainbow muses as the two lay back down onto the cloud, time seems to fly by as they talk.

TEN MINUTES

"I actually used to dream of flying." Rarity admits. "When I was little, I'd see Pegasus flying around and I'd wonder 'what must that be like?'"

"I wouldn't have guessed that." Rainbow says quietly.

"So when the Best Young Flier competition came." Rarity says with excitement. "And we went to support you and Twilight made me those beautiful wings-"

"Your childhood fantasy came true." Rainbow finishes.

"I lost myself." Rarity says solemnly. "I was so captivated by the sheer thrill of what I was doing that-"

"I get it." Rainbow interrupts, though without any irritation in her voice. "I understand." Rainbow then looks at her friend skeptically. "You're not still beating yourself up about that are you?"

"Maybe?" Rarity says with hesitation. "I know it was so long ago, but even so, sometimes I think about it and can't help it. It's a moment in my life I'll never forgive myself for."

"Not much you can do about that." Rainbow shrugs. "When everything's all said and done, even after apologies and hugs and everypony makes up. It's impossible for there not to be some little thing left over." Rainbow ponders for a moment if her tired mind is making her philosophical before continuing. "Even if it's just in the back of your head you'll feel it. Maybe it's regret, or anger at yourself." Rainbow's mood sours for just a moment. "Resentment." She says before her expression returns to normal. Rarity looks away from the sky and turns her eyes to her friend.

"Are you speaking from experience?" Rarity has a touch of concern in her voice. Rainbow returns her gaze.

"It's fine." Is all the other mare says.

"OK, You'll love this one." Rainbow says, abruptly changing the topic. "I still haven't told you about how I met my mom."

Rarity was all ears after that.

THIRTY MINUTES

"First kiss?" Rainbow Dash asks her companion. Rarity looks at her with indifference.

"A lady does not kiss and tell Darling." Rarity huffs. Rainbow chuckles.

"Come on, I'll tell you mine. That way we'll be even." Rainbow promises, with maybe to much enthusiasm for Rarity's liking.

"Who was yours?"

"Gilda." Rainbow says to her friends surprise. "It would have been Fluttershy but she didn't wanna practice with me."

"You had your first kiss for practice?" Rarity says aghast. "A first kiss should be special, it should be a moment you'll always remember."

"Is it really that big of a deal? It's fine as long as you remember who it was with right?"

"It most certainly isn't fine." Rarity huffs. "You should remember where and when you had your first kiss as well as who it was with."

"OK." Rainbow shrugs. "My room, late afternoon on a school night and it was with Gilda." Rainbow lists off. "That better?"

"It'll do."

"Well why don't you tell me yours? Show me how it's done?" Rarity turns to her friend with a sly smile.

"Oh I never agreed to that." Rarity teases, causing Rainbow to pout.

"You suck." Rainbow says with a grin.

FORTY-FIVE MINUTES

"Hey Rare?" Rainbow says while peeking at Rarity from the corner of her eyes. Rarity mimics the look.

"Yes Darling?"

"Knock-Knock."

"Knock-Knock?"

"Yeah."

"OK...Whose there?"

"You-" Rainbow closes her mouth and moves her eyes away. "Nevermind, I think it's a little early."

"For knock-knock jokes?"

"Yeah."

"If you say so." Rarity says with a shrug.

FIFTY-THREE MINUTES

"I think that-" Rainbow mumbles with a thoughtful expression. "-I was probably about sixteen when I beat mom in a race for the first time."

"Impressive." Rarity says with a nod. "though I'm not sure who it's more impressive for. Your mom must be pretty good considering how fast you are."

"Well, you gotta remember I couldn't do Sonic Rainbooms all the time when I was younger." Rainbow explains. "I wasn't always as fast as I am now, I had to work for it just like everypony else."

"Must have been a proud day then."

"It was super close." Rainbow says happily. Then her eyes get narrow as she thinks. "Thinking back on it, It was Really close. Like, way to close."

"Rainbow Dash?" Rarity looks at her friend in confusion. "Are you suggesting Your Mother let you win?"

"I'm not ruling it out." Rainbow huffs. "I hadn't thought about it at the time, but looking back now, things seem different." Rainbow begins smiling, it only gets bigger as she keeps thinking.

"What is it?" Rarity asks to her friend's smile.

"If I'm right about this, it means I've never seen my mom go as fast as she can." Rainbow grins. "Which is Awesome! I need to race her again soon."

"You really look up to her huh?"

"Course I do." Rainbow smile gets even bigger. "She's the best mom I could have asked for." Rarity observes her friend and smiles, just a little one.

"Tell me about her." She almost whispers it, Rainbow wouldn't have heard if not for their close proximity.

"Where do I start?" Rainbow says as she faces the sky, a look of nostalgia on her face.

SIXTY-FOUR MINUTES

"No." Rarity suddenly interrupts as she stands up. A huge grin on her face. "You did not just say that."

"It-It was just one class! Mom made me do it!" Rainbow Dash shouts, completely flustered. She quickly props herself up only to be met by her friend's beaming face.

"YOU CAN DANCE!?" Rarity exclaims.

"Well, I'm guessing you don't mean victory dances?" Rainbow jokes weakly. She coughs to steady herself. "It was years ago, me and mom took a class together, it was her idea not mine."

Rarity is barely listening as Rainbow Dash continues talking, she takes a few steps back from her friend and pushes off with her forehooves. Rainbow Dash looks at her in confusion as she balances herself on her back legs. Rainbow then takes on a deadpan expression.

"You can't be serious."

"Oh I am." Rarity giggles as she holds out a hoof to her friend. "Dance with me Darling."

"I can't believe this." Rainbow mumbles under her breath as she walks over to her friend and gets onto her back hooves. Rarity places a hoof on Rainbow's shoulder and Rainbow places one on her side, the two take a second to make sure they'll stay balanced as they grab each others remaining hoof. Rainbow sighs and looks Rarity in the eye. "You know, this is the last time I tell you anything."

"It'll be worth it." Rarity smiles as the two begin moving. Dancing to a silent song.

The two ponies move together, gently moving along the cloud, as they get close to one edge Rainbow gives Rarity a little spin and they start moving the other way. When they get near the other edge Rarity makes them twirl together and they change direction again. There's no music and neither pony says a word. They move together in silence until eventually coming to a halt in the center of the cloud.

"Happy now?" Rainbow Dash says, just a little out of breath.

"Unbelievably." Rarity says in a gasp. whether the two ponies are tired or they'd been unknowingly holding their breath, neither can tell.

"Should we... Sit down now?" The fashionista asks slowly.

"Nah." Rainbow says as she leans a little to the side, causing the two ponies to begin swaying in place together.

"What does it say?" Rarity thinks outloud. "That this fake relationship has been grander than any real one I've had?"

"Maybe we should..." Rainbow stops herself. I can't say it. She breaks eye contact. "I mean maybe it just means neither of us have dated the right ponies." She eventually says.

"I know you'll find the right mare for you Darling." Rarity says happily. "You're going to make somepony very happy someday." At her friend's words, Rainbow Dash looks away but ever so slightly tightens the grip of her hooves and brings them closer together.

"Yeah... Someday." Rainbow mumbles. She looks at her friend slowly. "I know you'll find somepony too. You deserve the best."

"I'll consider myself very lucky if their even half the pony you are Darling." Rarity lets go of Rainbow's hoof and places the free hoof on Rainbow's other shoulder. Rainbow mimics her by placing her newly free hoof on the opposite side from her other hoof. Then the two just look at each other.

"Rainbow Dash." Rarity says after what feels like hours. "May I make a request?"

"Anything Rare." Rainbow whispers to her.

"I'm keeping a secret from your mother for you, can you keep a secret for me?" Rarity asks, a blush barely visible in the moonlight on her cheeks.

"Of course. I promise"

"Then close your eyes." Rarity instructs. Rainbow looks at her for a moment and Rarity swallows hard. "Please? It's important."

Rainbow nods and her eyes slowly close, she sits in silence, her own breathing and Rarity's breathing the only thing she can see or hear. She sits and waits, her breath catches in her throat when she feels Rarity's breath on her face, every moment stretches out forever and she feels tempted to open her eyes, or move or do anything. but she doesn't. She waits, every moment she feels her getting closer until finally after what felt like hours, no, days of waiting. Rainbow finally feels lips make contact with her own.

And she thought the cheek kiss had been bad.

This one was something else entirely, the cold in the air was gone. Rainbow wasn't just ignoring it or tolerating it, the chill was replaced by an intense warmth spreading throughout her body. Her wings not only flared out but even began to flutter unconsciously. Her heart pounds so hard Rainbow is surprised Rarity doesn't stop and ask what that thumping sound is. Rainbow Dash kisses back gently, not wanting to risk scaring Rarity off. The kiss isn't deep and it doesn't last terribly long before Rarity slowly pulls away but both newly Scarlett colored ponies pant as if their out of breath. Rarity drops her hooves from Rainbow's shoulders and drops to all four on the cloud, Rainbow follows a moment afterward.

"That-" Rarity begins before shaking her head, she looks away from Rainbow Dash and peeks at her shyly from the corner of her eyes. "On a cloud high in the sky, the night after a big performance. With Rainbow Dash." Rarity lists off nervously, Rainbow's eyes go wide.

"That was your-" She's stopped by a white hoof on her mouth.

"Ssh." Rarity shushes quietly. "I don't know what the future holds for me, but I wanted to make sure that, that one moment was perfect. And that I shared it with somepony special." Rarity explains, still not facing her friend.

"That." Rainbow fumbles over her words. "That means a lot."

"We.... uh...." Rarity mumbles. "We should get going. The train is bound to leave soon."

"Right." Rainbow says numbly, she crouches and Rarity hops onto her back. "Hold on." The flight starts off a little awkward as Rainbow's wings are a little stiff but they begin descending quickly, Rarity's head once again buried in her mane.

"I can't believe I just did that." Rarity thinks to herself. "What was I thinking? How am I supposed to look her in the eyes after this?" The fashionista reprimands in her head.

"I was just caught up in the moment is all." Rarity reasons. "In the morning everything will go back to normal."

"She's my Marefr-" Rarity shakes her head. "She's my friend, she'll understand if I apologize. I don't want her to get the wrong idea."

Rarity sighs as she lifts herself from Rainbow's mane and looks towards the sky above, she barely makes out the two clouds high above before they seem to vanish from view. And despite the thoughts raging in her mind she can't help but put on a tiny, gentle smile.

"Maybe the sky isn't all bad." She thinks.

Maybe

Author's Note:

And there it is, the Second Date. I'm pretty happy with how this chapter came out so I hope you like it.

Apologies if you wanted more but that kiss will have to tide you over for awhile.

Now about the chapter itself, I feel a little bad considering how much of this chapter has nothing to do with the actual date itself but I really wanted there to be some substance to this one, it would have been a little strange to just start with them heading out on the date obviously.

Was it weird that I had them stand on hind legs to dance together? I just felt it was a lot more intimate than dancing on four hooves and intimacy was the tone I was going for.

As for the date, I loved writing it. Personally I feel being able to just sit with someone and talk without having to do big plans or grand gestures, Just enjoying being with that person, I consider that to be very romantic and I hope I captured that idea in this chapter.

One last thing, yay or nay on Rarity having a scar? I'm kinda split on the idea myself so I'd like to know what you think. I can figure it out myself so don't feel the need to answer, but I like hearing your input.

As always, thanks for reading.

P.S. Almost forgot, my general headcannon is that the main six are in their early twenties as some of them live in their own homes and have jobs and run their own businesses. What do you think?