• Published 5th Jan 2017
  • 1,519 Views, 510 Comments

Age of Kings - A bag of plums



When King Sombra took over the Crystal Empire, one pony went into another world to seek help. Featuring the ancestors of the cast of Equestria Girls, this is the account of her quest in the human world.

  • ...
9
 510
 1,519

PreviousChapters Next
8 - On the Prowl

“Posey Hood,” Emerald read aloud as she looked at one of the posters. There was a picture of a female hooded figure with long hair sticking out of the bottom of her hood, drawn incredibly well on an old piece of paper. A small description of her nefarious deeds were written under her face, detailing her crimes against the king. She waited for caravans of bits to pass before striking, stealing every last bit. “Says she resides in the Shetland Forest. You know where that is, right?”

“Course I do!” Spectrum said proudly. “Though, I’ve never been there myself. People say there are monsters in there.”

“Well, that’d be a good place to set up camp for an outlaw such as her.” Staying in a forest with rumors of monsters was a good way of staying out of the crowd, and Emerald knew that well. “And it says the price for bringing her in is…” Emerald traced her fingers along the large sum of numbers. “T-two thousand bits?! Spectrum. We need to do this. I could buy two swords with all that money!”

“Calm down, Em,” Spectrum giggled. “It’s normal. Capturing an outlaw is hard work, so the pay is much higher.”

“Let’s go right now,” Emerald quickly said. She wanted to get to work as soon as possible to have more time to train with the sword before the tournament. She needed to get good at using her new body if she wanted to win that shield.

“First, don’t you need your weapons back and a place to stay?” Spectrum asked. The girl had a point. Her arm blades were still with Nightfall Gleam and with the Apple family out of town, Emerald had nowhere to sleep. “You could always stay with me for now. I’m sure my parents won’t mind.”

“But is there enough room for me?” Spectrum had once shown Emerald her place. It was a small building in the Shades. One of her walls looked like it was going to give way anytime.

“Well, our house is a little small, but I’m sure we could find some space for you.”

It sounded good for Emerald, but she didn’t want to inconvenience the little girl. Emerald shook her head. “It’s fine, Spectrum. I don’t want to trouble you. I’ll find a place to stay. Perhaps a normal job would suffice for rent?”

“Oh, of course! Rent is far cheaper than a sword, but…” Spectrum put a hand to her chin. “Finding a place might not be too easy. Well, we can look for one, but if you really can’t get one, you’re welcome to stay with us.”

“I’ll keep that in mind, Spectrum,” Emerald nodded. “Well, I’ll start by finding one. Why don’t you go do what you’re supposed to do. Don’t want Sir Hors asking you to do impossible tasks.”

“Okay. I’ll see you later then! Let’s catch ourselves an outlaw! Woohoo!” Spectrum disappeared into a crowd of people after running off.

Emerald looked around. All she had to do was find a simple job and a place to stay for her time here. How hard could it be?


Finding a place to stay proved much more difficult than Emerald had anticipated. Most of the places she looked were all full, unable to house anyone else. She traveled through the entire Shades, but found no available room for her. After another five hours, Emerald had decided that fighting off a dragon was much easier than finding a temporary home, and she had actually fought a dragon in Equestria once.

She decided to take a break after another hour, walking over to the bridge separating the two districts and looked into the murky water. She leaned her head down against her arms and groaned. She felt like she never had a tougher mission in her life.

“Having trouble?”

Emerald twisted her head to the side and watched Adagio Dazzle stop before her, putting a hand on her hip and wearing her usual smirk on her face.

“Yeah…” Emerald turned back and looked at her reflection in the water below. “I can’t find a place to stay… I didn’t think it’d be this hard.”

“Looking for a place to stay, huh?” Adagio touched a finger to her lip playfully. “Emerald. What if I told you I have a place for you?”

“I don’t know, but-” Emerald stopped herself and played back what Adagio said in her head. “Wait, did you say you have a place for me to stay?”

"Why of course I did!" Adagio folded her other arm under her elbow. "There's a place over in the Loft District. The only requirement, is that you work in the stables by the gate. All you have to do is tend to the horses. Shouldn't be a problem for you, right?"

Emerald couldn’t have asked for a better deal. The muse was offering her a place to stay, and all she had to do was look after her own kind. Emerald couldn’t help but form her mouth into a smile, soon turning into laughter. “Thank you so much, Adagio. I’ll make it up to you somehow.”

“Oh, I know you will, Emerald,” she gave her usual smirk. “Well, come along. I shall show you to your new home! Let us walk to it!”


Emerald stood outside the building as Adagio fished for the keys to the front door. It was a single storey building, with wooden supports lining the walls and a tiled roof above it all.

“Come see inside,” Adagio called Emerald with a hand as she disappeared into the house.

Emerald walked in and looked around, noticing how clean the wooden table in the center was, along with its four chairs. A few candles outlined the room, leading to another two rooms at the back. One was the bedroom and the other was a room where Emerald would be able to relieve herself.

“So, what do you think? Like it?” Adagio spun the key in her fingers.

"It's brilliant!" Emerald touched the furniture, noticing how clean everything was. Someone must have spent a lot of time fixing the place up.

"I trust you know how to look after yourself." The muse tossed the keys to her, smiling before walking out. "Your job will start tomorrow. Have a good day, Emerald Edge."

Emerald didn't have anything to set up since she came to this world with just her armor and clothes, so she headed out, locked the doors, and headed for the Mages' Tower. If she was going to catch a criminal, she needed her weapons back.

Her home wasn't too far from the castle and the tower, and the spymaster soon found herself in the building with all kinds of hooded figures running around and working on projects. She headed up to the second floor, remembering where Nightfall Gleam's table was.

The mage didn't seem to be there, but Emerald spied all kinds of metal and papers on the table, indicating Nightfall had been busy. The spymaster decided to do a little investigation and walked over to the table. There were two rectangular shaped objects with two leather straps each. Emerald also noticed her gauntlets on the table beside the peculiar objects, the blades missing from her guards.

“Ah, Emerald!” Nightfall walked up the staircase, carrying more scrolls and papers. “Didn’t see you come in. You like your new weapons? I think they’re fine work, myself!”

Emerald looked back at her weapons. “How do they work?”

“Easy! Pardon me…” Nightfall dropped the papers on the table before picking up one of the rectangular boxes. She strapped the leather on her forearm, the box underneath it. “Watch this.”

She flexed her arm back, and the motion ejected one of Emerald’s arm blades from within the box, extending it past the mages’ fingers. Emerald understood now. She could now stow her blades without having to worry offending people by walking around with them in the open, though she was used to having them on the side of her arm instead of the underside. It was just something else she would have to get used to in this strange new world.

“Fascinating,” she told the mage as Nightfall passed one to her.

“Try it! I call it, the hidden blade. You know, since it’s hidden.” Emerald strapped on what used to be called arm blades and examined her arms. “There’s a button on the inside that you have to push. Try flexing your hand back.”

Emerald did as Nightfall asked and jumped back as the blade quickly shot out from its sheath, startling the spymaster.

“What’d I tell you?” Nightfall contained her laughter. “Now you can stow the blades and surprise your enemies with the hidden blade!”

Emerald smiled at the thought. These weapons were perfect for a spymaster. She could get it by, unseen to most and when she really needed to strike out, there they were. Emerald practiced, swinging both blades around, trying to figure out the best way to attack with them. Slashing wasn’t as effective as it used to be in Equestria, instead, Emerald found stabbing to be a much more useful form of attack. She thrust her arms forward a few times, getting in a three-stab combo in quick succession before trying out a few more combat moves.

"Not bad," Nightfall Gleam nodded as she observed Emerald's fighting ability. "You seem good to go? You... Uhhh... You used to be a horse yes? How's ummm... How's your new body working out? You seem used to it now."

"Still getting used to," Emerald smiled and wiggled the fingers of her right arm. "I never thought these... fingers would be so useful."

"Well, just set these above the straps, and you're all set!" Nightfall handed Emerald her gauntlets back. "And flexing again sheaths the blades. Try it. Oh, and there’s a locking mechanism on the side. You know, just in case you need to scratch your face."

Emerald kept her blades and put the gauntlets back on her arms and fitted her fingers through the attached half-glove. The housing for her blades fitted nicely in between her gauntlets. Nightfall Gleam really knew her business.

"Thank you, Nightfall." Emerald gave her a slight bow. "These hidden blades are perfect!"

"Anytime, Emerald," Nightfall gave her a big smile. "Just make sure to come back to me if you want anything else made." She leaned in and cupped a hand over Emerald's ear and whispered, "And do make sure Clover doesn't see you giving me things to make. Otherwise she'll think I'm slacking off."

Clover. Emerald found that name strangely familiar. Clover... Where have I heard that name before...

"Wait, Clover?" she decided to ask the mage. "Clover the Clever? She?"

"Ooh, do you know her?" Nightfall raised both eyebrows. "I didn’t know they let normal people so far up the tower.”

“No, no.” Emerald shook her head. Things in this world just got more complicated. “There was a Clover the Clever in my world too. Though... he was the apprentice of another pony called Star Swirl the Bearded.”

“Star Swirl the Bearded?” Nightfall asked, amused at the spymaster’s apparent knowledge. “Are you sure you’re not from this world? Well, yes, you did say Clover was a he...”

“Pretty sure,” Emerald nodded. “I was a pegasus in my world. Actually, I miss my wings. It’s not the same without them.”

“This is a lot more interesting than I thought…” Nightfall walked around Emerald and looked at her with one hand under her chin. “Perhaps when you have time… Would you allow me to study you? I would love to find out just how different you are.”

“I wouldn’t mind, I suppose, but I have something to take care of today. Sorry.”

“Oh.” Nightfall looked disappointed, but immediately shook it out of her face, turning it back into a smile. “Of course. You have things to do. I shan’t bother you. Thank you for your time, Emerald Edge.”

“No,” Emerald shook her head. “Thank you for yours. I wouldn’t get far without my blades.” Emerald turned to leave. “Take care, Nightfall. You’re a good person.”

Emerald headed back down and soon, out of the Mages’ Tower, heading for the stables in the Shades to look for Spectrum. She turned out of the main street and collided right into a wall of shining armor. Powerful arms caught her and held her steady as she looked up into the face of Sir Morn Dread.

“Hello, lady Emerald,” he greeted.

“Oh, Sir Morn! Fancy meeting you here...” Emerald looked away from his handsome face. She noticed he was still holding on to her as her cheeks turned from green to red.

He let go of her arms and folded them across his broad chest. “You seem to be in a rush. Are you headed somewhere?”

“Oh, y-yes,” Emerald nodded, putting a hand on her other arm nervously. “I’m actually headed out to find an outlaw in the Shetland Forest with Spectrum Song. Seems like a good way to earn some money.”

“The Shetland?” Morn Dread instinctively put a hand on his sword hilt. “Shall I accompany you? There are much dangers within those woods. I wouldn’t want you to get hurt.”

“I wouldn’t want to trouble you, Sir Morn.” Emerald wouldn’t mind having the big strong knight around, but she really didn’t want to ask for more help. She’d already been rescued by him once, and she didn’t want a second one to happen. She had to learn to do things on her own if she wanted to train her spy skills.

“Tis no trouble, my lady,” Morn Dread half-bowed. “At least let me escort you there.”

Emerald saw no harm in that, so she agreed before the two of them set off towards Spectrum’s location.

“Has the king given you any information in locating the artifacts you seek, Emerald Edge?”

“Not directly.” The spymaster decided to tell him the truth. “But I did get to see that shield you keep up in the castle. I believe that’s one of the artifacts I’m looking for.”

“Ah, so you plan on participating in the tournament as well?” Morn Dread looked like the idea intrigued him. “Is that why you are after this outlaw? To prove your combat skills? Though, I am not saying you don’t have any.”

“It’s fine. I know what you mean,” Emerald nodded and smiled as they passed over the bridge separating the two districts. “But no. I’m after the outlaw so I can get enough bits to get a good sword for the tournament. The faster I get one, the faster I start training how to use one with this body.”

“This body?” Morn Dread raised a questioning eyebrow and looked at her from head to toe.

“Oh.” Emerald had forgotten to tell the knight all about her past and where she had come from. She figured she would have to tell him at some point, so why not now? She cleared her throat before continuing. “You might not believe all this right away, but I’m from a world called Equestria, a world of ponies. My kingdom and my princess were taken from me by a dark king. Only artifacts thrown here by the greatest wizard in Equestrian history can save my people.”

“That is a lot to take in,” Morn Dread reached up and rubbed his chin as he processed just what Emerald was saying. “But I shall choose to believe you, Emerald Edge. After all,” He laughed. “I believe in a cup that grants eternal youth.”

"That is true..." Emerald put a hand over her mouth and giggled. "So that is why I have to get that shield."

"Well, I wish you all the best in the tournament, lady Emerald. May the best win."

The squire was at her usual spot under the stable roof, playing on her lute and singing along.

"Hey, Em," she greeted and stopped singing. She looked to the knight beside her and smirked. "Hello, Sir Morn. Em, have you found a home yet?"

Emerald nodded. "Believe it or not, I did. One of the king's muses just gave me a home, in exchange for working here at the stables."

"Great!" Spectrum pressed her cheeks together, making a weird face. "'Means I'll be seeing you almost all day! This makes my job almost one-fifth more exciting!"

"Yup." Emerald looked at the sky. The sun was still up, but began its descent as night time drew closer. "How about we catch ourselves an outlaw and earn some bits?"

"Let's go!" Spectrum hopped off her haystack and walked with Emerald as they made their way out. "Is Sir Morn Dread coming too?"

"Yes," he replied for himself. "I shall escort you to the forest's edge."

"How far is this forest?" Emerald asked as they passed a few guards by the gates.

"Maybe three hours on foot?" Spectrum shrugged.

"Not a problem!" Morn raised a hand. "I shall get Windspeed and we can be on our way."

"But there are three of us, Sir Morn," Spectrum reminded him. "Your horse will only sit two."

"You know how to ride a horse, yes, squire? I shall fetch two then." He turned to Emerald before leaving. "I shall return shortly."

"So, how are things between you two?" Spectrum nudged Emerald as soon as Morn was out of earshot. "Anything interesting?"

"Well, he's looking for that grail which everyone says is a legend," Emerald shrugged. "He's also a very nice human, I guess."

"Alright," Spectrum said as she began strumming her lute. "That's a start at least."

"So... Sir Hors hasn't given you any work?" Emerald asked. She didn't want to get Spectrum in trouble by taking her away from her jobs.

"Got it all covered, Em. Did it all in advance so that we can spend more time out of here. That's right. I'm pretty great, aren't I?"

"Very much so, little filly." Emerald put her palm on the girl's head and rubbed it. "You're a great friend."

Not even past thirty minutes, Sir Morn Dread returned, riding atop his magnificent stallion, Windspeed, holding on to the reins of another horse, slightly smaller than his.

"This one's for you, Spectrum Song," he told the squire and handed her its reins.

"This is Sir Trotivere's horse!" Spectrum walked around it and touched it. “How’d you get it?”

"His squire was understanding. He handed it off to me as soon as he heard we needed it.," Sir Morn Dread laughed. "Sir Trotivere owed me a favour anyway. Take good care of Snowcharge. She belongs to a good friend."

"Will do, Sir Morn." Spectrum slung her lute over her back before climbing up Sir Trotivere’s white horse. Even for a child like her, getting on a horse seemed to be no trouble at all.

"Emerald Edge," Morn Dread reached out a hand. "You shall ride with me. It would be much safer."

Emerald looked to Spectrum for advice, but the squire just grinned and started towards the gates without them. Eventually, Emerald decided it wouldn't be so bad. After all, she'd already been on Windspeed once before with the same knight. She grabbed his hand as he hauled her up, lifting the spymaster off the ground before she even started climbing to the saddle.

Emerald still found it strange to be sitting on her own kind, but that was just one of the many things she would have to get used to.

Sir Morn rode up to Spectrum and Snowcharge before both horses headed out the gates together, slowly picking up speed.

"You might want to hold on, lady Emerald," Morn Dread warned as the ride began to get bumpier from the galloping.

Emerald took a long swallow before she shakily wrapped her arms around the knight's abdomen and held on as the horses picked up speed. She felt a little embarrassed doing so, but it was better than falling off and hitting her head on the dirt ground.

"Everything alright, Emerald Edge?" Morn Dread called back behind him.

"Y-yes, everything's fine!" Emerald quickly said as she snapped back to reality.

Horseback took a lot less time than their planned walk as Emerald and the others arrived outside a forest. Trees surrounded the entrance, turning the insides dark from the lack of sunlight able to get through the dense brushes.

"So this is the place..." Emerald figured the rumors of monsters originated because of how dark the place was. Perhaps she should tell the king to get some men in to cut down some trees to allow light in.

Morn Dread got off his horse and helped Emerald down as Spectrum hopped off her horse, landing in a crouched position.

"Did you see that?" Spectrum asked eagerly. "I looked like some kind of really skilled knight."

“Good move, Spectrum.” Emerald joined the rainbow haired squire by the forest’s entrance, gazing into the unknown. The sun was already beginning to set, casting longer shadows among the trees.

“Are you sure you do not want me in there with you?” Morn Dread asked as he tied the horses to the nearest tree.

“It’ll be fine, Sir Morn.” Emerald waved a hand in front of her. “We’ll just head in there, grab an outlaw, and we’ll be out in no time.”

“As you wish, my lady.” Morn Dread stood by Windspeed. “But if you don’t come out by dark, I shall come find you.”

“Very well,” Emerald nodded. That seemed like a good backup plan, just in case they really needed help. “Let us go, Spectrum.”

Emerald Edge led the way into the Shetland Forest, the young Spectrum Song following behind her, clutching her lute like a club. Emerald kept her hands up in front of her, ready to extend her new hidden blades if the need arose. The shadows cast by the trees made monstrous shapes, occasionally taking Emerald’s attention as she watched them wearily, only to find out it was only her imagination playing tricks on her.

“H-have you seen a-any monsters yet?” Spectrum asked, her fingers growing tighter around her lute’s neck. Emerald felt like it would snap any time.

“Just shadows, Spectrum. Nothing to fear.”

"You sure?"

"Yes." Emerald continued forward.

Some bushes rustled as two squirrels dashed out of them and ran to the next one, scaring the life out of young Spectrum. A high-pitched scream escaped her mouth as she jumped back behind Emerald.

"Just squirrels, Spectrum," Emerald chuckled as she put a reassuring hand on the squire's shoulder. "But no sign of our esteemed outlaw."

"I knew that," Spectrum tried to look strong, puffing out her chest. "I'm better than that."

"Alright, Spectrum." Emerald admired the squire's strong will. She decided to tag along, even if she was a little fearful of the place.

The two continued down the worn path, cutting straight through the forest, eventually leading them to a clearing with a few broken wagons lining the sides. Vines had already crept over some of them, indicating how long these wooden vehicles have been here.

"This must be the site where Posey Hood attacks the people," Spectrum said as she touched one of the broken wagons. A centipede crawled out from a hole in the wood, sending her scampering backwards.

Emerald bent down and investigated the scene. There were still tracks of a wagon, meaning one of these were recent, and there was also a lack of bodies around. Posey had somehow caused all the wagons to crash, but didn't kill anyone. Little holes dotted each wagon, meaning the outlaw had used some kind of projectile to attack the innocent travelers.

"This isn't your ordinary outlaw," Emerald said as she stood back up.

“Doesn’t matter. An outlaw’s an outlaw.” Spectrum joined Emerald by one of the destroyed wagons. “Taking her out will make life easier for all the traveling merchants. Especially the ones from Trottingham. They have no choice but to pass through this forest if they want to trade with Canterlot.”

"Still..." Emerald mused. She was interrupted by Spectrum suddenly clinging on to one of her arms. Emerald held her breath for a second, sensing the threat. She quickly moved Spectrum behind her as she got her arms ready. Something or someone was out there in the woods, watching them, waiting to make their next move.

"I saw someone," Spectrum pointed a finger into the dense plantation. "Something brown flipped down from a tree and darted off into the bush over there.”

Emerald followed the squire’s finger before taking a few steps forward to investigate the surrounding shrubs. She inched her way through the dense bushes and looked around. Everything was still around her; not one bush was moving. Then she realized everything was too quiet. The birds had all gone silent.

“Spectrum?” Emerald called, checking if the squire was alright. She turned around to look. Spectrum was still standing in the clearing, looking at her, but she was shaking from head to toe. “Spectrum?”

The blue-skinned girl could only lift a hand and point ahead, forcing Emerald to walk out from the shrubs to have a look. Just in front of the path, next to one of the broken wagons, a brown creature lumbered into view, long claws on each of its four paws. A low growl escaped its mouth as it rose up on its hind legs, looking straight at the two girls.

“How do bears work in your world?” Emerald asked the frightened squire. “Can they be talked to?”

The bear let out a bellowing roar before dropping down to all four legs and began barreling its way towards them.

“Guess not!”

Emerald quickly grabbed Spectrum and shoved her behind one of the wagons at the side of the road as the bear thundered past them. "Hide in one of the wagons. I'll draw it away. When the coast is clear, go back and find Sir Morn."

"What? Em, you can't! It's too dangerous!" Spectrum objected, but Emerald didn't stand around long enough to hear the rest of it. "Emerald!"

The spymaster ran out to the main path and shouted at the bear. "Hey! Over here!"

The bear abruptly stopped in its tracks and turned to her with a snarl. Emerald had no time to think of a plan as the beast charged at her. The former pegasus quickly turned on her heels and sprinted as fast as she could down the path, hoping her legs wouldn’t confuse themselves as she ran. She heard the claws of the bear against the dirt behind her, meaning her plan was working. All she had to do was get the bear away from Spectrum. That seemed easy enough.

Emerald made a sharp left, heading straight for the trees. If she could just climb one of the trees, she would be safe. Just as she took the first step into the grass ahead, Emerald felt something sharp sweep her left leg from under her, sending her spinning off to the right. The air was knocked right out of her lungs as she landed on her back.

Emerald Edge quickly fought to stand up, but pain shot up from her left leg, forcing her to move slower. She looked down, but there was no blood, meaning the injury was internal. There was no way she was outrunning the bear like that.

She turned as the bear stood on its legs and roared at her. At such close range, Emerald could smell its foul breath, turning her head away as she fought to get to a better position.

Come on, Emerald. You can do this. You’ve beaten dragons before.

The spymaster stopped, extending both hidden blades as she turned to face the furry beast. It rushed her again, swinging a paw at her chest. Emerald quickly leapt to the side, avoiding the use of her left leg while doing so. She stabbed her blade towards the bear’s underside as she recovered from a roll, watching the blade sink below its fur. With a roar of rage, it slashed at Emerald, barely missing her ponytail as she hopped back to a safer spot. That was all Emerald could do.

The bear was clearly much stronger than she was, but a whole lot slower. She would have to rely on her speed and cunning to beat this opponent, but her injured leg wasn’t helping. Every few jumps, she would put some weight on her foot, striking pain up her whole leg as she fought to right her position.

Emerald narrowly dodged another attack as she continued to dash in and out, dealing small blows whenever she saw her chance, but bears were tough animals. It didn't even seem to notice it was wounded. The spymaster was really starting to miss her wings. If she had them at this moment, the fight would go so much easier. Even if she had an injured leg, she could just take to the skies and attack the bear from above.

After what seemed like hours, Emerald began to tire. Fighting while hopping around on just one leg was taking more energy from her than she had first thought. The bear still seemed like it had plenty of strength to go on as it took two steps towards Emerald and stood up. Spectrum had yet to return with Sir Morn. Did something happen to her on the way out? Emerald hoped she was wrong, and that Spectrum had made it out and was on her way here with the knight.

Emerald went in for another stab, hitting the animal in its belly. It roared again, but this time caught Emerald in the side of her head with a paw, sending her rolling back along the shrubbery and down a small slope. Emerald braced herself as she rolled down like a runaway barrel, coming to a stop at the bottom, her face planting itself in the muddy soil. She looked up and spat some out of her mouth as she struggled to get on her feet. The bear stood above, looking down at her, probably wondering whether there was any use going down to finish her.

Come on, Emerald. You need to move. Remember your training...

Before anything could be decided, there was a loud smack somewhere in the forest, like something hitting against a tree trunk. The bear turned its head to investigate, only for an arrow to land at its feet. Emerald caught sight of the tip, noticing it was more of a sack, rather than a steel point. Nothing happened, but something began filling Emerald’s nose. Something unpleasant. The bear was the first to concede, running back into the woods as the pungent smell got stronger.

Emerald fought to get as far as she could from the smell, but the bear had really given her a good fight. She forced her elbows forward, crawling her way away from the smell, but it was no use. It was too much for the spymaster to handle. Emerald fell on her side as her consciousness began to fade.

At least I won’t be able to smell it if I’m knocked out.

The last thing she saw was a lithe hooded woman with pink hair, dropping down in the soft mud close to her before she closed her eyes.


PreviousChapters Next