• Published 5th Jan 2017
  • 1,525 Views, 510 Comments

Age of Kings - A bag of plums



When King Sombra took over the Crystal Empire, one pony went into another world to seek help. Featuring the ancestors of the cast of Equestria Girls, this is the account of her quest in the human world.

  • ...
9
 510
 1,525

PreviousChapters Next
29 - How to Train Your Horse, Part 1

Author's Note:

Welcome to Act II, readers! Here's how Act II will go: The chapters will be more in episodic format, as the entirety of this act takes place over the course of five years. They will be mostly disconnected from each other, in their own self-contained stories. That's all, so enjoy the upcoming chapters!

Emerald Edge was flying. She soared through the air on her wings, savoring the cool breeze that was blowing across her body. This was how a pegasus should feel, she thought idly. The wind ruffled the feathers in her wings, and she did a couple of loops, exhilarated at how easy it was. There were white, fluffy clouds as far as the eye could see, and she alighted on a nearby cumulonimbus for a quick rest.

Smiling, Emerald lay back on the cloud, its soft puffy surface providing the perfect bed for a pegasus to lie down a rest.

“Ahh… this is nice.”

She lay there on her back for a while, and had just closed her eyes when she was distracted by a tapping sound.

Emerald lifted her head, cracking open one eye.

“What’s that?”

The noise stopped, and Emerald lay back down on the cloud, only for the noise to come back, louder this time.

“Oh, go away,” she grumbled, not getting up.

The tapping grew even louder.

When next she opened her eyes again, she was no longer looking up at the vast cloudy sky. Instead, she was now looking at the wooden beams supporting her ceiling up above her bed, small and contained.

Emerald groaned and pushed herself up, rubbing at her face with her hand. “Ugh… Nothing is true here…”

The tapping was coming from her door and it was still going, louder now.

“I’m coming!” she called, hopping up to her human feet and sliding herself over to the door.

“Come on, Em, I’ve been waiting out here for a long time now!”

It was young Spectrum Song, it seemed.

I wonder what she could want?

Unlocking and throwing the door open, Emerald rubbed at her eyes before looking down at the young squire, beaming from ear to ear, like she had some good news to share.

“Yes, Spectrum?” Emerald asked groggily. “Where’s the fire?”

“Fire? What fire?” Spectrum looked confused. “Anyway, I was sent here by one of the muses. They were sent to tell me to tell you that the queen told them to tell me to tell you that you need to get to the castle stables as soon as you can.”

“The stables, huh…?” Emerald picked at her nose. If anything, at least human fingers could fit inside those little nostrils. “Just… give me some time. I need to get ready.”

The former pegasus shut the door in the young squire’s face before shuffling herself back to the washroom. A barrel of water stood by a small ditch that led outside. Giving her face a few splashes, Emerald eventually felt more refreshed and ready to start her day.

“Great. And then I’ll grab some breakfast on the way and see what the queen wants.” She did up her hair into its usual ponytail, marveling at the little fingers afterwards.

Next, Emerald got out of the sleepwear and pulled on the tunic with her cutie mark on it, followed by her armor. She had gotten used to getting it on and off without assistance, though it took longer than it would have with a helper.

Her gauntlets with her hidden blades were last to go on, but once she was ready, Emerald went back to her door and pulled it open, almost walking right into Spectrum Song.

“Oh, you are still here, young Spectrum?” Emerald patted the rainbow haired girl on the shoulder. “I thought you would’ve gone to get some work done.”

“You know me. I put it off as long as I can.” Spectrum strummed a note on her lute. “Now come, let us go to the castle stables. I want to know why they want to see you.”

“Yes, I am curious as to what the queen would want with me at the stables. I would think her majesty would be too busy to go some place like the stables. Filthy places… I still can’t believe you humans treat your horses like this. Such poor living conditions. What are they to do all day in such a small space?”

“I don’t know, eat hay?” Spectrum shrugged.

“That is no way to treat your horses!” Emerald pointed at the open streets as they walked on towards the castle. “They need space, they need to be able to roam free and choose how to live themselves. Can you not give them jobs? I mean, your world’s horses do not speak, but surely you could give them better things to do.”

“Um, Em…” The squire scratched at her head. “I don’t know if you know, but horses here can’t do anything besides letting us ride on them.”

The former pegasus sighed. She remembered Honeygold’s horses, Joey and Springer. The two of them did seem rather… dull.

“That is true, but surely they can be given a larger space? One where they can run free, even for a short distance. The stables are no place for them. I wouldn’t want to live in one of those.”

“I’m just a squire, Em.” Spectrum shrugged and played a soft tune on her lute. “If you want something done, the king or queen are the ones you will want to talk to.”

Entering the castle grounds, Emerald and Spectrum were quick to make their way to the stables, which was right beside the castle wall, near the drawbridge. Queen Sunlight Radiance and the muse, Aria Blaze, were already there, with the queen sitting on an expensive looking chair, her staff in her hand. The stables here were much larger than the ones outside the castle grounds. This one was an actual building with a door and everything.

“Your majesty.” Emerald bowed when she got close. Then reached a hand out to Spectrum’s back and pushed her to a bow as well.

“Greetings, Lady Emerald Edge, and young squire to Sir Hors.” The queen smiled and raised a hand. “You may rise.”

“You wished to see me, your majesty?”

“Yes.” The queen nodded, her little crown on her head somehow staying put. “It has come to my attention that you do not yet have a horse. Each of the Knights of the Round Table are offered the best horses our kingdom has to offer. Tis only fitting that you receive the same accommodation.”

“A horse for me…?” Emerald looked into the stable. “Your majesty, while that offer is very generous, I cannot accept. I was a pegasus back in my world, you see. There is no way I could ride atop one of my own. Being passenger to one is one thing, but to actually own one. It is like slavery! It is slavery.”

“But every knight must have a steed, else how will you ride into battle? I know you are used to riding on Windspeed, but you cannot rely on my ne- I mean, Sir Morn’s horse all the time. You must have a steed of your own if you are to truly be a knight.” The queen finished with a tap of her scepter on the ground.

“Come on, Em. It won’t hurt having a horse.” Spectrum nudged the former pegasus. “Think of it as a… as a good friend?”

“But it is like riding on a friend into battle. You humans do not ride on each other to fight.”

“I suppose they don’t.” Aria folded her arms and shrugged.

“Yes, the squire has a point, Lady Emerald.” Queen Sunlight nodded and smiled. “Think of the horse as a friend. Do not think it as a slave or… anything else one might think. We have plenty of fine picks in our castle stable. Why don’t you come and have a look before deciding?”

“Oh, as you wish, your majesty.” Emerald bowed again, though a bit reluctantly.

In the end, she figured she would at least please the queen by having a look. Perhaps having a horse would also give her somepony to relate to.

“Aria, please show Lady Emerald to the stables.” The queen waved a hand, motioning behind her chair.

“Please follow me.” The purple haired muse sighed.

Emerald and Spectrum did as they were told and followed Aria into the stables. Inside, they passed various other horses who were being tended to by a small contingency of squires, who were polishing hooves, scrubbing coats, or brushing manes. Spectrum waved at them as they went on. One boy with light blue hair saw her and hid behind the horse he was cleaning and that made Emerald laugh.

“So this is where the Knights of the Round Table keep their horses?” Emerald asked as they walked along.

“Yes, and all the other knights,” Aria said, not looking back at them. “Not just the knights though. The king also keeps his horses here, as do some of the nobles. Ah, here we are.”

Aria stopped before another row of horses. They looked no different from all the other ones, except that they didn’t have saddles on their backs.

“These are the horses that have no master.” Aria waved at them. “So have your pick. I will be outside with the queen.”

“Thank you.” Emerald and Spectrum walked closer as Aria took her leave, only now raising her hand to her mouth to ward off the smell.

“So, Em, which would you like?” Spectrum waltzed over to the first horse, which was a simple grey coated mare and gave it a rub on the muzzle. “How about this one? I think her name was Maria. She’s quite the tough one. And nothing like Richard over at my stable.”

“Why greetings, Maria.” Emerald looked at the horse. It didn’t feel the same as talking to another pony back home, but it was more familiar to her than talking to a human. These horses were at least still somewhat like what she used to be, just not as intelligent.

The horse nickered and trotted closer to Emerald. She reached out a hand to touch its muzzle, and for the briefest moment, the two connected. Then Maria neighed and ambled back to the feeding trough.

“Hmm, seems she has something more important she would like to do at the moment.” Spectrum Song rubbed her chin. “Well… how about Strong Spot over there? Or Buckles, next to him?”

Emerald looked at the two horses and shook her head. Strong Spot did look like a good horse, wide and beefy, but she didn’t think a big strong horse would suit her. The other one, Buckles, a spotted brown and beige horse, completely paid no attention to her.

“None of them seem suited. Is there anypony else?”

“Well, there are a couple more horses here…” Spectrum motioned to the next partition.

Emerald and her rainbow haired friend strolled down the stable, looking at each horse one by one. There were still plenty more, each one clearly different from the others, whether it was spots, color, or even shape.

“Hmm…” Emerald scanned the different horses with her eyes. These next few looked decent enough for her, but now it was a matter of deciding which one. “What do you think, Spectrum?”

“Well, if I was a knight, I’d pick a really fast horse! Fast like me, and then I’d dye its mane just like my hair so my enemies would always know it was Spectrum Song coming to kick their cans!” Spectrum emphasized this by slamming her fist into her palm. “Pick one that suits you.”

“Umm, yes, that’s correct…” Emerald looked at the young squire with doubt and then back at the row of horses.

The first horse she decided to examine was one with a brown coat and a black mane. At that moment, a small black nugget of something fell from the rafters and landed in front of Emerald. She looked up, her eyes meeting that of a large owl that was sitting on one of the roof beams.

“H-Hello,” Emerald said.

The owl blinked slowly at her, then swiveled its head around, giving Emerald a view of the back of its feathery head.

“Hey, is that an owl?” Spectrum said, bending down and picking up a shovel. “Hey! Shove off!” The squire waved the shovel at the bird. The owl turned its head at Spectrum and laughed. Or hooted, but it sounded like laughter.

“Oi! Nobody laughs at me!” Spectrum fumed, throwing the shovel up at the owl. It missed, but the owl still flapped its wings and took to the air.

Emerald watched it leave the stables through one of the windows up over near the ceiling, and when it was gone, she simply shrugged and returned her attention to the first horse.

“This one’s name is Roadtrip.” Spectrum hopped inside the pen. “He’s quite the fast horse, if Streak is to be believed…”

“Streak? Who is Streak? Not a horse, I presume?” Emerald looked at the other horses. “Your world’s horses don’t speak.”

“Of course he isn’t a horse.” Spectrum Song leaned over the pen’s fence and pointed down the stable, back to where the other squires were. “That one, light blue hair. Guard Streak. He tends to the horses here much more than I do. You know me, Em. I’m out there at the other stables.”

“That one, hmm?” Emerald watched as the young squire ducked his head back behind the horse he was tending to after he caught them looking at him.

Spectrum nodded. “He can’t speak, did you know that?”

“He can’t?”

“No. Whenever I talk to him, all I get are muffled grunts or just weird words.”

“But then how does he communicate with his knight?” Emerald pointed out.

“Not a clue,” Spectrum said, rolling her eyes.

“How intriguing.” Emerald returned her attention to the horses. “Anyway, I do not think Roadtrip suits me. Sorry, Roadtrip.” Emerald rubbed his neck.

The horse neighed and trotted to the back of the pen. Emerald looked at the next few horses, looking for one which could suit her fighting style. She wasn’t like the other knights. She had to be quick and silent, unlike Sir Morn’s honorable approach. So if that was the case, she needed a smaller horse, one which could also possibly run more silently than the others.

Unfortunately, most of the horses here were all fairly bulky, bigger than any pony she knew back in Equestria.

“Are there any horses here that are bred for a more… discreet approach?”

“You’re kidding, right?” Spectrum said, eyebrow raised. “The whole point of being a knight, especially a Knight of the Round Table, is that people respect your authority. That’s why they ride big, impressive horses, you know? So people know you’re coming from a mile away.”

“But you know me, Spectrum. The less attention the better,” Emerald stressed. “I am trained as a spymaster first. If I can avoid a fight, I would prefer to.”

“What’s wrong with the horses, lass?” A man’s voice boomed from the stable entrance.

Emerald and Spectrum looked in the direction of the voice, watching as a short, broad shouldered man strode into the stables. He was wearing a green tunic and dark leather leggings, and his feet were encased in tall riding boots. His beard and hair were a coppery color, and he held a pitchfork in his right hand.

“Oh! Iron Hoof!” Spectrum exclaimed, before saying to Emerald. “Iron Hoof’s the stablemaster here. He’s also the one who breeds the horses.”

“Aye, that I am, young squire,” Iron Hoof said, walking toward them. “And you’ll find no finer horses in the kingdom than in here, no miss. And you must be Lady Emerald Edge, the newest Knight of the Round Table, eh? Here to pick yourself out a noble steed, I presume.”

“That is what I was told, yes.” Emerald bowed in greeting.

“Oh, no need for that.” Iron Hoof waved a hand. “I am but a lowly stable hand. A Knight of the Round Table has no need to bow. Now, I overheard you would like a smaller horse? One of speed and agility instead of the regular tough nut?”

“That would be great, yes.”

The stablemaster stroked at his beard, then proceeded down the line of pens, one hand raised, asking Emerald and Spectrum to follow along.

“There are plenty of smaller horses in the other stables, yes, but as a Knight of the Round Table, you are to be provided with the best of the best. Fortunately for you, Lady Emerald Edge, there is one horse that may fit your description.”

“Only one?”

“Our horses are bred for endurance, my lady.” Iron Hoof stopped before a bale of hay and scooped up a portion of it with his pitchfork. “Some… well, do not come out as what we intend, so here they stay. Foxtrot is the only one like that right now.”

And then he tossed the hay over one pen’s gate. A horse with a golden coat came trotting over, stooping its head down to grab for the hay, which it began eating happily.

“This is the one, Lady Emerald.” Iron Hoof planted the end of his pitchfork to the ground. “As you can see, he is much smaller than the others.”

And the stablemaster was right. This horse here, Foxtrot, was at least a head or two shorter than the other ones, like Maria, or even Sir Morn’s Windspeed. His body wasn’t nearly as muscular, but Emerald wasn’t looking for muscular.

“He seems more my size.” Emerald watched the golden horse eat. “Hello, Foxtrot. I am Emerald Edge.”

The horse ignored her, more interested in the hay.

“Oh, Foxtrot is not the friendliest of horses, Lady Emerald Edge.” Iron Hoof looked at the smaller horse. “I put him in this pen by himself because he doesn’t get along well with the bigger horses. I think they think he’s weak.”

“I know the feeling, my friend.” Emerald continued to watch Foxtrot eat. “So how does this work? Do I simply say I wish for him to be my horse?”

“If that what you want, Ma’am,” Iron Hoof said. “But surely one of the other horses’d fit you better as a knight, aye?”

“Well, I want to try this one,” Emerald said, looking at Foxtrot intently.

Iron Hoof shrugged. “If that is what you want, my lady. Now, this might be a silly question, but do you know how to ride?”

Emerald looked at Spectrum, who looked back at Emerald with equal trepidation.

“Uh… no.”


PreviousChapters Next