• Published 5th Jan 2017
  • 1,519 Views, 510 Comments

Age of Kings - A bag of plums



When King Sombra took over the Crystal Empire, one pony went into another world to seek help. Featuring the ancestors of the cast of Equestria Girls, this is the account of her quest in the human world.

  • ...
9
 510
 1,519

PreviousChapters Next
21 - Battle in the Woods

Author's Note:

Sorry about the delay in uploading, I got into a car crash last month and haven't had access to my computer in the hospital. Anyway, here's the next chapter. Enjoy!

Emerald Edge had fastened her armor on as quickly as she could. Moon Tide had healed her to the best of her ability, but it still needed some time to fully heal up, seeing as it was a serious wound. The spymaster winced as she buckled the last side of her armor down, then ran up the steps, following behind Spectrum Song.

“It was the druids!” the young squire explained. “They had snuck in and when the match was over and when the crowds were clearing, they tried to steal the shield from its pedestal, but the guards managed to stop them. Instead, they had grabbed Honeygold before leaving. I couldn’t do anything!”

“Don’t worry, Spectrum. We’ll get her back safely.” Emerald owed it to Honeygold and her family to be standing here today instead of the bottom of the lake. “Was she the only one taken?”

“As far as I know, yes. They took her out through the gates. The knights took down some of them, but they still made it out with her. If I had just been more attentive, maybe they wouldn’t have grabbed her.”

Sir Morn Dread, who had been following, split up with them at the courtyard. “I shall get my horse. I will catch up, my lady.”

“I will come with you.” Moon Tide put a hand on her chest. “Those druids shall not sacrifice the young girl today.”

The three of them headed for the main gates, clearing crowds and buildings, moving as swiftly as they could. Emerald spotted a few dead bodies, some of druids and the barbarians she had fought before, and some of the Canterlot guard. She hoped they hadn’t died for nothing, but she silently vowed to avenge them as well.

Shortly, Sir Morn caught up with them, riding atop Windspeed with two more horses behind him, one brown, the other white. Atop the white horse sat a knight in grey armor, his helmet slightly triangular with a railed visor.

Morn saw Emerald looking and raised a hand to the knight. “Sir Prancelot of the Knights of the Round Table, Lady Emerald. He shall be accompanying us to the Shetlands. Sir Lionheart and Ganeighn have already ridden ahead. They may already be combatting the druids as we speak.”

“The druids went back to the Shetlands?” Emerald asked. “Wouldn’t it be unwise to use the same location twice?”

“Not in there, my lady,” Sir Prancelot spoke. He had a deep gruff voice, but still sounded gentle enough. “The Shetlands is a massive place. Some villagers wander in and don’t come out. The druids have been in there for years, setting up in different locations to avoid us. They originate from Docklin, but they have come to our land for sacrifices, which they believe make them stronger. How barbaric.”

“Then let us go. Now. Honeygold needs us.” Emerald was about to swing herself atop the other horse, but Sir Morn held up his hand.

“No, my lady. You are wounded,” he said. “You must stay and rest.”

“But she’s my friend! I have to go and save her.”


“Not when you are still healing, Emerald. You will hurt yourself further.”

“My injuries are nothing.” Emerald shook her head. “Nothing compared to what will happen to Honeygold if I stay here. I’m coming, Sir Morn.”

The knight looked to his mother, who simply nodded as she got up on the brown horse.

“Very well, my lady.” Morn held out his hand for the spymaster to take. “Then you shall ride with me.”

Settling herself down behind Sir Morn, Emerald held on tight as the knight led the group out of Canterlot. Little Spectrum Song sat with Moon Tide, her loot slung behind her back. Emerald didn’t know how that thing would fare in combat, but the rainbow haired girl brought it everywhere with her.

“I’m sure our archer friend must’ve seen where they were headed, so perhaps we should find her first?” Sir Morn asked as their horses picked up into a gallop, kicking up dust on the dirt road.

“Assuming we can find her, Sir Morn,” Emerald said. “Posey isn’t one to sit at camp all day.”

“We found her the last time.”

“Coincidence,” Emerald chuckled.

Soon enough, the group was through the edge of the Shetlands Forest, slowing their gallop to a trot as they listened and looked for any signs of the druids.

“Where do you think they are?” Emerald surveyed the outer forest, looking for a point of entry.

“I’m pretty sure I can find them,” Moon Tide said, raising her head like she was trying to catch a snowflake on her face. She inhaled deeply. “They’re about a hundred meters that way.” The mage pointed at a nearby tree. “They also seem to have non-human help on hand. Be careful.”

“How did you know that?” Emerald was impressed.

Moon Tide simply shrugged and tapped the side of her nose. “Tricks of the trade. Now come on. We’ve got a child to save.”

“Mother,” Sir Morn said as they headed in the direction Moon Tide had pointed in. “You mentioned non-human help. What are we expecting? If I have to hazard a guess, is it dryads? They have plenty back in Docklin.”

Moon Tide shook her head. “None of those. I think we’re expecting…” She inhaled again and thought. “Trolls. At least two, no more than four.”

“Hmm…” Prancelot rubbed the bottom part of his helmet. “The scoundrels must be using them as labor.”

“Moon Tide, trolls?” Emerald asked. She’d faced a troll once, back in Equestria. They were big creatures, but thankfully, not very bright ones. “I have fought one. They stand taller than a regular house. There is no way we can miss it.”

“That tall?” Moon Tide chuckled lightly. “Over here, they stand just a meter above us people, with thick long hair covering almost every inch of their bodies. Not too intelligent, but good at lifting and carrying things.”

“Not to mention they are good in a fight too.” Sir Morn narrowed his eyes. “Stay sharp and keep on your feet. Speed is the key to beating these lumbering beasts.”

“And do not forget the mercenaries these druids employ.” Sir Prancelot reminded. “Not as skilled as a knight, but still skilled nonetheless.”

“Um, excuse me…” A soft voice came. “Are you by any chance tracking the druids?”

“Why yes, we are…” Emerald turned to see the speaker, setting her eyes on Posey, who was hanging out of a nearby tree with Gabriel on her shoulder. “Posey! It is good to see you here. We are hunting the druids. They took Honeygold. She’s, um, an apple salesgirl from Avalon.”

“That’s terrible…” Posey looked ahead through the trees. “In that case, I will accompany you. You might need an eye up in a high place like the last time.” She looked around at the group. “Is Sir Ganeighn with you?”

“No, he has gone to scout ahead with Sir Lionheart,” Sir Morn Dread told her. “They should be well ahead of us.”

“I hope they haven’t been spotted,” Emerald said nervously. “You knights aren’t exactly a very sneaky group.”

The pink haired archer dropped from her perch and whispered something to Gabriel. Soon, he was up in the sky, circling above them. “I will follow alongside you. Gabriel will watch for the druids above.”

“She speaks to the bird?” Sir Prancelot looked at the archer, then up at her eagle.

“Tis a long story, Sir Prancelot,” Morn answered. “A story for later, perhaps, after we rescue the young girl.”

Posey kept her bow out and followed, keeping a few paces away from the main party with an arrow in her bow, ready for anything. She never failed to surprise Emerald, always teaching her new things about being a spy, like looking for tracks, watching her bird above and even keeping off their horses. The knights sure had a lot to learn from her.

Soon, the path Moon Tide was leading them on stopped at a thicket, meaning they would have to tie their horses here and travel on foot. After securing the horses’ reins to a sturdy oak tree, the party crept through the undergrowth, careful not to make a sound, a feat which was proving impossible with all the knights’ armor clanking.

“They’re close.” Posey kept an eye up. “Gabriel’s found them. No sign of Sir Lionheart and Sir Ganeighn. I hope they’re okay.”

Stealthily, the group approached the treeline of the clearing where Gabriel was circling over. Peering through the leaves of a blueberry bush, Emerald could see the druids’ encampment.

They had a few tents set up, along with some crates and tables. Emerald counted eight druids and at least twelve mercenaries. Truthfully, they all looked the same to her, so it was hard to tell. And lumbering around aimlessly near the treeline, were three large furry creatures. They must have been the trolls, and Emerald counted three.

The spymaster ducked back from the bush and turned to the rest of her group.

“We’re outnumbered here, and least three to one. I don’t see Honeygold. What’s the plan?”

“I can get somewhere high.” Posey put a hand on a wide tree. “From there, I’ll be able to get some good shots and a better view.”

Sir Morn Dread nodded. “Then take what heights you may.”

Posey nodded and slung her bow across her back before beginning to scale the tree, easily reaching the highest branch in minutes.

Emerald looked back and pulled Morn by the arm. “Come. We need to find Honeygold.”

“Wait, we mustn’t go in without a plan, my lady!” the knight whispered. “You will only endanger all of us, Honeygold included. We need a strategy to come out victorious.”

“You’re right.” Emerald drew back behind the bush. “I’m sorry. I’m just worried for her. She’s just a little filly.”

Sir Morn smiled and wrapped his armored arms around the spymaster. “There is nothing to fear. We shall rescue her. The druids shall not harm her this day, but we must first come up with a plan to strike.”

“Then I suggest we creep closer, as close as we can.” Emerald pulled her hood over her head. “But you knights are too obvious. Maybe… Wait here. I’ll scout them out by myself.”

“Of course,” Sir Morn nodded. “Be careful, Emerald.”

“I’ll do my best.” And the spymaster was off, crouching low through the thicket, pushing branches away as quickly and silently as she could, slowly advancing towards the druid encampment.

Emerald took into account that some of the mercenaries were sitting around, their weapons beside them as they ate some kind of meat, likely the body of some poor animal they found in the forest. If she had to reduce the number of enemies, they would be the ones she would start with.

The druids, as usual, stuck to the middle of the area, away from the corners where Emerald could silently dispatch them. They had tables set up with different bowls and apparatuses and various ingredients in each of them.

“Archdruid.” One of the druids brought forth a bowl with white liquid. “We have more and we have tested it. It proves lethal when it touches the skin.”

“Excellent work, Galar.” Emerald remembered Duchan from her last encounter. He patted the other druid on the shoulder. “Small and simple and easily concealed. This weapon will prove more effective against our enemies. Even that knight will feel the power of our dark magic now.”

“I shall put it in the vials right away, archdruid.” The druid scampered off to one of the tents.

“Look at them,” Moon Tide whispered, appearing beside the spymaster. Emerald hadn’t heard her approach. “Fannying about with their so-called magic. I’ll tell you something, Emerald. These druids don’t have what it takes to work at the Canterlot Mage’s Tower. That’s where all the serious stuff is.”

“You use dangerous magic up there too?” Emerald asked. “But I’ve seen what their dark magic can do. It’s horrible. Don’t tell me you mages employ the same things?”

“Certainly we work on dangerous magic in the tower. But it’s also a matter of discipline. Just because we can use and research dangerous magic doesn’t mean that we should. These druids have thrown away all their morals for a bit of power. And besides, the use of dark magic against people is forbidden by us mages.

“That being said, I brought a little magic of my own, Emerald. Try not to get in the way if it comes to a magic duel.” Moon Tide reached into her pack and drew out a compact crossbow, as well as a small quiver of bolts. However, instead of a steel arrowhead, each bolt had a small glass vial attached to the front, the individual little bottles swirling with potion. “I prefer my magic with a bit of kick to it.”

“Your magic is attached to the arrows?” Emerald looked at the different colored liquids in each of the vials. “This world truly is very fascinating and weird at the same time. No harm meant, Moon Tide.”

“Not all my magic, just these ones,” Moon Tide whispered back. “Now, what do we do next?”

“We need to determine where they’re keeping Honeygold.”

Emerald inched through the bushes, getting as close as she could, surveying the campsite, looking for any signs of her little blonde haired friend. There were multiple tents around the camp, but most of their flaps were down, blocking off their insides from Emerald’s eyes.

There didn’t seem to be any sign of Honeygold.

“If they hurt her…” Emerald clenched her fists.

“I’m sure they haven’t.” Moon Tide put a hand on the spymaster’s shoulder. “From your friend’s story, I think the druids took her because they want the shield.”

“They want the artifact as well?” Emerald looked back at the archdruid, who was bent over a table, mixing a bowl of red powder with some green paste. “They kidnapped Honeygold to trade her!”

“I’m afraid that’s the case here, Emerald.”

Emerald Edge looked around, desperately trying to find an opportunity to sneak into the camp to find Honeygold. Soon, she spotted one. A shorter female mercenary had left the main area, heading out into the woods alone, not even bothering to take her weapon with her.

Perfect.

Emerald crept through the bushes, pushing her way towards the other side where the mercenary was standing, her back now to her. The mercenary fiddled with something on her pants, then pulled them down and squatted down.

“What in Equestria is she doing?” Emerald whispered as she got closer. “Is she… relieving herself? In the open?”

“These barbarians aren’t as civilized as us,” Moon Tide told her. “They do anything wherever they please.”

Emerald looked back at the woman. At least she had made herself an easy target. Close enough now, the spymaster pushed out of the bush, checking once behind her shoulder to make sure the rest of the mercenaries were still busy eating. Once she was sure she wasn’t going to be disturbed, Emerald crept up behind the female mercenary and stabbed her in the back with her hidden blade, covering her mouth to prevent her from screaming before silently dragging her back behind the bushes.

“One down…” she whispered to Moon Tide as she hid the body further back.

Suddenly, the mage looked up and began sniffing, her head darting around looking for something. “I don’t think this is going to work. The knights are coming. Sir Lionheart and Sir Ganeighn, I think.”

Emerald peeked her head over the thicket, watching as the two armored men walked into the encampment, their weapons already drawn.

“Stop right there, criminal scum!” Sir Ganeighn pointed his sword tip at the group of druids. “You have a citizen that belongs to us. Hand her over and no blood needs to be shed.”

“Must you knights show up and meddle in everything?” Archdruid Duchan stepped forward. Emerald noticed he was walking a lot better than the last time she saw him. “But I’m feeling generous today, so I’ll make a deal with you. Relinquish your tournament shield to us and we shall trade the girl with you.”

“How do we know you still have her?” Sir Lionheart challenged.

“Nimhe, bring her out,” Duchan said to a female druid. “Show these knights what will happen if they don’t cooperate.”

Emerald tensed as her eyes followed the druid, who ducked under one of the tents.

“That’s where they’re keeping her!” Emerald pointed for Moon Tide. “We need to rescue her now!”

Moon Tide nodded. “Agreed.”

Then she selected a bolt from her quiver and nocked it in her crossbow, licking her finger to determine which way the wind was blowing. Taking careful aim, she raised the weapon to her shoulder and fired.

In that one moment, all hell broke loose. The bolt exploded into a thick, cloying smoke that shrouded the entire druids’ side of the camp in thick clouds. The knights instinctively stepped away, fearing any magical assault. As soon as the smoke touched the druids’ campfire, however, it ignited in a fierce firestorm that lit up the clearing with flashes of orange light.

“Thank you, Beatrix,” Moon Tide muttered before nocking a second bolt. “And Secret Fire.” She glanced at Emerald, giving her a ‘what are you doing’ face.

“Uh, go! Your friend needs you.”

Emerald wiped the shock off her face and nodded, leaping out of the thicket and sprinting straight for the tent. Pushing open the first flap, Emerald came face to face with the druid called Nimhe and behind her, a small metal cage holding Honeygold. She had a blindfold on and her hands were tied behind her back.

“You!” Nimhe fell back a step, whipping out a curved dagger from under her brown sleeve.

Emerald dived under her first swing, kicking back with a foot, feeling her metal boot crack something in the druid’s right leg.

“Agh!” Nimhe gasped and went down on her knees.

Emerald flew to the cage and broke the lock off with her sword, throwing open the door and pulling Honeygold into a hug. “Honeygold, you’re safe. We’ve found you.”

“E-Em?” the girl shakily answered. She had tears running down her cheeks, staining the blindfold.

“Yes, it’s me. We’re getting you out of here.” Emerald peeled off her blindfold and cut her restraints. It was then that she noticed one of Honeygold’s arms was bandaged. “What happened to your arm?”

“Th-the druids… They rubbed some kinda liquid on my arm, testin’ it out or somethin’,” Honeygold explained. “It burned. Burned off my skin too. Said they w-were gonna use it o-on y’all.”

“They did this to a little filly?” Emerald turned angrily to the fallen druid. “Have you no shame?”

“Sacrifice is necessary for power.” Nimhe crawled for her dagger, but Emerald kicked it away.

There was a second explosion from outside, and the sound of metal hitting metal. The knights must have joined the battle. Suddenly a mercenary stumbled into the tent, one of Posey’s arrows in his throat. He collapsed onto the ground and lay still.

Noticing the druid still on the ground, Emerald swiftly tore some strips of fabric from the tent and tied up Nimhe’s hands and feet.

“We’ll deal with you later,” Emerald said before scooping up Honeygold in her arms. “Now let’s get out of here.”

Running out, the spymaster was instantly greeted by the heat from the campfire, still spiralling out of control, sparkling like some sort of flaming beast. A body of one of the druids lay close by, unmoving and burning. Emerald guessed he must’ve been hit when Moon Tide first shot her magical arrow.

Heading back through the thicket, Emerald found Moon Tide, still crouched in the same spot. “Moon Tide, what has happened?”

The mage took the young girl from the spymaster, opening her pack of vials. “Don’t worry, Honeygold. I’ll get you healed up. Sir Prancelot and Morn joined the fight as soon as Sir Lionheart and Sir Ganeighn started fighting. Posey’s been up there, firing arrows at them. Spectrum is still with the horses, I presume. She’s safe there.”

“Look after her.” Emerald pulled out her sword. “I’ll go help them out.”

“Go. I shall do what I do best here.”

Emerald looked to Honeygold and gave her a reassuring nod before running back through the bushes. She soon spotted Sir Prancelot by one corner of the druid camp, fighting off three mercenaries at the same time. Emerald figured that would be a good place to start. Running over, Emerald readied her weapon, jumping up at the last step and running it through one barbarian’s back.

“Gah!” she shouted, grabbing for the sword tip, now sticking out her front. Then her eyes rolled back and she fell down.

“Fantastic work, my lady.” Sir Prancelot parried one of them, then spun around to block the other.

The spymaster moved to engage them, slashing down with her sword. The mercenary she was attacking turned and parried her sword blow. Having her arm thrown back hurt her side, forcing Emerald back, but the mercenary had turned his back to the knight, who spun again and slashed him across the back. Blood dribbled down his chin and he fell on his face.

Sir Prancelot surely was a force to reckon with. He was the quickest knight on his feet from what Emerald had seen of them. It almost looked like he was dancing when he fought. She could easily see how he was one of the king’s best knights.

The last mercenary backed away warily, holding his axe in front of himself. Sir Prancelot lifted his sword, which was slightly purple in color with a widened tip, and pointed it at the mercenary as a challenge to fight.

Instead, the man dropped his weapon and turned to flee. Sir Prancelot lifted his sword and was about to give chase when an arrow flew in from above, piercing the mercenary between the shoulder blades. He fell, shuddered twice, then stopped moving.

“Your archer friend is truly well skilled, Lady Emerald Edge.” Sir Prancelot pointed his sword tip up.

“Yeah. She is,” Emerald said, then out of the corner of her eye, she saw something large and brown come hurtling at her. Emerald dodge rolled, just in time for the troll to miss her by mere inches.

“Woah!” Prancelot readied his sword. “I forgot about the trolls! Guard yourself, my lady!”

Emerald gripped her sword and scooted away from the troll’s massive fist. The beast roared at her and turned around to face her again. It’s arms were far longer than its legs, giving it more reach in this fight, even with Emerald’s sword.

The troll returned, charging for Emerald, its arms outstretched, trying to grab her. The former pegasus watched its feet, then dived under it, slashing it at it as it passed over her, grabbing thin air. It didn’t even seem to notice it had been wounded.

“Kill them!” Emerald spotted a druid close by, pointing at her and Sir Prancelot, giving the troll orders. “Do not let them leave here alive!”

“Looks like we will have to cut off the head of the snake first.” Sir Prancelot readied himself. “You may leave the beast to me. The druid is yours, my lady.”

“Understood.”

Emerald sprinted for the troll first, watching as it raised its arms overhead, ready to deliver a ground-pounding attack. At the last minute, Emerald turned to the side and ran past the hairy creature, running for the druid commanding it.

“What?” the cloaked man took a step back. “Stop her. Kill her!”

The troll turned its head to Emerald, but Sir Prancelot stepped in, delivering a vertical slash to the troll’s chest. It roared again, then swiped an arm around, which Prancelot blocked with the edge of his sword, cutting into the troll’s flesh.

Emerald returned her attention to the druid. Prancelot looked like he had everything under control.

“Useless beast!” the druid screamed, then removed a leather sack from his cloak, dipping a gloved hand inside. “Feel the wrath of our magic!”

Emerald knew that she couldn’t allow the druid to let loose any of his magic. Pulling her arm back, she threw her sword and watched it tumble end over end before finally embedding itself in the druid’s chest, stabbing right through his robes.

“Ack…!” the man coughed out blood and clutched the sword in his chest. He gasped one more time, then collapsed on his side, his eyes turning glassy.

“My lady, duck!” She heard Sir Prancelot say behind her, immediately doing as he said.

As she fell to a crouch, she watched a long hairy arm pass over her, smashing into a tree, cracking the bark.

Emerald rolled under another of the troll’s attacks and sprinted to the fallen druid, retrieving her sword. The troll roared and chased after her, but Emerald slid between its legs as it came, slashing at its exposed legs. The troll fell to its knees, allowing Sir Prancelot to decapitate it.

“Well,” the knight said, looking at the troll’s blood dripping off his blade. “That wasn’t so hard.”

“They’re much tougher than the regular human.” Emerald looked around at the other battles. “But they are nothing compared to the trolls in my world.”

At that moment, there was the sound of a trumpet blaring, and the thundering of hooves against the ground.

“Now what?” Emerald looked around and watched as Sir Morn cut down a troll all on his own.

In the clearing, opposite the campfire, which was now dying down, came riding King Dawn Saber, along with a troop of guards, numbering at least ten. Some of them immediately hopped off their horses and dispatched a few barbarians around them, before raising their shields and spears in an attack formation surrounding the king.

“It’s his majesty!” Prancelot exclaimed, lifting his sword in a salute. “It’s over for the druids now!”

“King Dawn Saber…” Duchan stood behind a few of his mercenaries and druids, pointing his dagger at the king. “You have decided to grace us with your presence. Now, where is Nimhe? If you want the girl we have captured, then turn the shield over to us. We will let her go if you do.”

“The girl is safe.” Emerald stepped from the shroud of the depleting campfire, her sword in hand. “You no longer have a bargaining chip, Duchan. It’s over.”

Morn Dread joined her, standing tall and proud beside her, holding a troll’s head in his hands, tossing it towards the druids. “And your beasts no longer serve you. You cannot win this. Surrender and you do not have to die.”

Duchan’s face went ten shades of red. “How dare you! I am the Archdruid of Fir Laimhe Liath! Go, my minions, and kill them all!”

Trodaire stepped forward, brandishing his two swords. King Dawn Saber unsheathed Excalibur, pointing it at the druids’ champion.

“This is your last chance!” the king announced. “Throw down your weapons or face the consequences!”

“You do not scare me, King of Canterlot.” Trodaire beat his chest with his fists. The other barbarians around him were much shorter and less muscular. “I shall show you what I am now capable of!”

The large human ran forward, instantly barrelling through the line of guards, knocking them all aside with his swords, cutting two of them across the chest, right through their armor. He was on Dawn Saber in an instant, both swords high above his head, ready to strike down the king.

Emerald wanted to rush in to help, but King Dawn Saber held Excalibur out, pointing it one-handed at the onrushing barbarian. There was a blinding flash of light as a beam of pure golden energy shot out from Excalibur’s tip, striking Trodaire in the chest. The light wrapped around the barbarian, burning away at him until there was nothing left but a neat pile of ashes.

The other mercenaries warily walked back, their eyes still on Trodaire’s ashes and so was Emerald’s. The king’s sword had simply laid waste to that large human. The artifacts Star Swirl the Bearded had locked away here had such great power. Now for sure she knew why that wizard had cast them through the portal. They were too powerful, but just what she needed to best Sombra.

King Dawn Saber fell against his horse, drained. His face was sweaty and he was panting like he had just run a long distance. The remaining guards got up and resumed their formation in front of the king.

“Look, he is weak!” Duchan pulled a satchel from his side. “He cannot kill us all! Attack! Kill them all!”

An arrow sailed out of the trees from behind the king and struck one of the mercenaries square in the forehead, while the Knights of the Round Table rallied around their monarch.

“Get moving! Kill!” The druids pulled out familiar vials and tossed them at some of the mercenaries.

They quickly bent back and roared. Emerald remembered those vials from the last fight with these mercenaries. It wasn’t going to be easy to take them all down.

Making a snap decision, she sprinted over toward the king and took Excalibur from his hands.

“What are you doing to the king?” one of the guards asked aghastly, like Emerald had just committed a grave offense. Maybe it was.

“SorryI’llbringitbacklaterthankyou!”

Seizing the sword, Emerald felt the weapon grow warm in her hands. It was perfectly balanced, and fit into her palm perfectly. Almost as if it had been made especially for her. In that moment, a shine came over Emerald, and her hair grew into a long tail-like extension while a pair of pony-like ears popped into existence atop her head. And for the first time since setting foot in the human world, a pair of wings extended from her back.

“What sorcery is this?” One of the druids recoiled and pulled out a pouch of red powder.

Even the knights and guards had lost their focus on the enemy, focusing on Emerald instead.

Emerald faced her enemies and swung the golden sword. Rays of energy lanced out from her sword’s arc and struck the barbarians, taking them off their feet and slamming them into trees and the ground. Flapping her new wings, Emerald took to the air and held the sword high. Beams of light blasted down from the sun, lancing through her opponents with searing heat.

Such power in these artifacts… And my wings! I thought I would never have you again…

In just mere seconds, the royal spymaster had cleared the entire camp of the druid’s mercenaries. Each of them lay on the forest floor, a smoking hole in their chests. Only Duchan and three remaining druids stood before them.

“Surrender now and you won’t have to meet the same fate as your hired help.” Sir Morn lifted Clarent and pointed it at Duchan’s chest. Emerald landed back down beside him, earning a clap on the back from the knight. “Marvelous work, my lady. Never would I have believed it if I had not seen it myself.”

“So this is the power of the artifacts you came to find…” Posey emerged from the treeline and stood beside Emerald and Morn. “Surely with this you can beat that usurper, Emerald.”

“Yeah…” Emerald looked down at the glowing sword in her hands. Somehow, it felt right, like she was meant to use this weapon. Then she remembered she had ‘stolen’ it from the king. She had pried his ‘right to rule’ from his hands and that probably wasn’t too great of an idea, especially if she hadn’t managed to save them all. “Umm… I’ll be right back.”

Emerald walked over to King Dawn Saber and held out Excalibur to him with both hands, holding it horizontally. “I apologize, your majesty. I acted in the heat of the moment. Here, I present your blade back to you.”

Dawn Saber said nothing. By the looks of it, he was still completely drained from using the artifact’s power. It seems humans weren’t meant to use them. Emerald hadn’t even broken a sweat when she had annihilated the druids’ forces. As she handed the blade over, her pony ears vanished and her tail and wings dissipated into thin air.

Feebly, he reached out a hand and accepted the weapon back, though he didn’t look too pleased that Emerald had gone and taken it.

Smiling sheepishly, Emerald retreated back to where Sir Morn Dread and Posey were standing, now joined by Sirs Ganeighn, Lionheart and Prancelot.

“Good to see you, archer.” Ganeighn smiled at Posey. “Your skills with the bow are much welcomed among us knights.”

“Why, yes… I suppose so…” Posey shuffled her feet nervously.

“Ah, Lady Emerald, you return.” Sir Lionheart looked back to the king, then to her. “That feat you just performed… Stupendous work! See how the druids cower before you now!”

“Though, we recommend not wresting Excalibur from the king's hands ever again, my lady,” Sir Prancelot added in. “The king does not like it when his famed sword is taken from him.”

“Sorry. I just did what I thought would help…”

“Tis fine, my lady.” Sir Morn clapped her shoulder. “You have assured victory for us today. If the king does not support your action, us knights do.”

The remaining druids stood before the knights and Dawn Saber’s small troop, snarls on their faces, but they attempted nothing. Even Archdruid Duchan didn’t pull any of his magic tricks out.

“Surrender and you shall live, druid scum.” Sir Prancelot pointed his weapon at Duchan’s chest. “Resist and you will perish.”

Duchan moved his hand to his pouch, but there was a clicking sound behind him and he turned around to see Moon Tide, who had her crossbow pointed at the back of his head.

“Make a move, and your camp’s not the only thing going down in flames today.”

The crossbow bolt had a bright orange glowing vial on the end and gave off a low heat. Duchan let his hand fall from his pouch before putting both up in the air.

“Very well…” Duchan grumbled. “We surrender.”

“Excellent choice.” Sir Lionheart approached them. “All your magic down on the ground. Now.”

The druids complied before the knights restrained their hands behind their backs with rope. Emerald stood with Moon Tide as the druids were escorted off by the king’s guard.

“This isn’t over…” Duchan focused his purple eyes on the spymaster. “Far from over, lass. I will remember you and what you did.”

“Quiet, you.” Morn knocked a fist on the side of the archdruid’s head. “Keep moving and don’t you dare talk to her like that.”

The archdruid took one more look at Emerald, then followed as the guards led them away.

Once they were well away, Morn sheathed his sword and stood before Emerald. “Are you alright, my lady? Are you hurt anywhere?”

“I’m fine, Sir Morn,” Emerald smiled. Her healing wounds occasionally hurt when she performed certain actions, but for now, there weren’t hurting. “Moon Tide, how’s Honeygold?”

“We’re fine, Em.” The little apple salesgirl and Spectrum Song walked out into the campsite holding the reins of the knights’ horses. Honeygold’s arm had a fresh coat of bandages. “Moon Tide helped soothe the pain some. And Spectrum kept me company while you were all here fightin’, so I’m good.”

“Acid, Emerald.” Moon Tide looked to the disappearing druids with disgust. “They are horrible enough to use it on the little girl. Detestable people, that lot. Fortunately, I happen to have a salve here that will heal that. No scarring required.”

“I’m glad they’re going where they belong, then,” Emerald said. She bent down and gave the girl a hug. “I’m glad you’re safe, Honeygold. I was so worried they would do something to you.”

“They nearly did, Em, but you rescued me! You’re a hero!”

Emerald blushed. “Well, I can’t take all the credit. We did it. As a team.”

“Quite right, Lady Emerald Edge.” King Dawn Saber walked over to them, Excalibur at his side, supported under one arm by Sir Prancelot. “Although, I would say that you did the lion’s share of the work. Spectacular work with Excalibur, though I would not take it again.”

“Sorry, your majesty. I just did what needed to be done.”

The king looked pensive. “Hmm. Tell you what. When we are all rested and fed, come see me again. I have a proposition for you.”

“W-What proposition, your majesty?”

“You’ll see,” King Dawn Saber’s moustache twitched upwards in amusement, but he didn’t keep it up for long, seeing as he was almost drained of all his strength. “I think you’ll like it. But for now, let us ride to Canterlot!”

There was a chorus of loud cheering as the group began its triumphant return to Canterlot.


PreviousChapters Next