• Published 23rd Oct 2015
  • 1,474 Views, 37 Comments

The Box - Candy-Sweets_12



When you live alone, you can imagine things get pretty lonely, even for Derpy, one of the most bubbly mares in town is no different. But when she finds something that will change her life forever, she has a choice to make, with consequences.

  • ...
2
 37
 1,474

Chapter 7

"You ready to go?" Doctor asked, wearing his blue tie. I wore a normal short silver dress. A slight shade darker than my fur.

I grabbed my purse and slung it over my neck. "When you are." I reply, smiling at him.

"Then after you, M'lady," He says, teasing with a low bow to me. I smile and decide to play along.

"Thank you my good sir." I say, giving him a low bow as well with my eyes closed. As soon as I stand up, we're both laughing and chuckling to ourselves.

"So where are we headed now?" I ask him.

"I got us a reservation at a good restaurant. Let's hope it's not filled to the brim." He says, shutting the door behind me quietly and matching his pace to mine.

"That's so nice of you." I say, matching my eyes to him. I decide to ignore the stares I get from ponies all around, whomever wasn't there to see me with Dinky when I brought her out in public, probably heard about it through gossip. A ton of them have been supportive in the past three days since then, while others, not so much.

Once we were full of chuckles, we mad it to the restaurant, glad to see that it wasn't completely full. As soon as I walk in though, everyone's eyes go to me, making me want to shrink down. Some showed smiles and waved, while others seemed to hold back venomous laughter aimed towards me.

Time Turner decided to catch my attention by pointing and naming the different fish in swimming around in the fish tank.

Once we were at our table, I picked up my menu, looking deeply into it. Partially because of the glares I received. Doctor decided to start up a conversation about a little home experiment with hilarious results. Before we could even receive our orders, I was getting hiccups from laughing so hard.

We finally started to quiet down to a lower volume with a small conversation as we ate.

We told several jokes here and there, and chuckled softly from them. It wasn't however, until I heard a few prim voices behind me that my mood started to dampen.

"Is that the mare with that new foal?" One voice asked.

"You mean that retard over there? I'm sure of it."

"I can't believe that such a stallion would want to spend time with a mare like that. Low paying job, a baby momma, I don't know what he sees in her."

My cheerful smile slowly starts to fade, as much as I try to ignore them, my ears begin to feel hot; much like that one mare's tale my mother always mentioned about how other ponies talk about someone behind their back.

Doctor Whooves notices my expression, and reaches his hoof over to mine. "Are you okay Derpy?" He asks.

"Let's hope that that foal of hers doesn't end up dropping pianos or breaking stages like her mother does." The first voice sneered. I can't help but blush a bit at that.

"Or get her head stuck in mailboxes." The second chuckled. I begin to lose my appetite, and the food in my mouth seems hard to swallow.

"How pathetic, such a shame that mares with a low IQ are always the ones who end single parents."

"Ladies that's enough, what if she hears you?" One stallion said sternly.

"Oh please," The first voice said to him. "What is she going to do? Try and throw a plate of salad at me? You know as well as I that her vision is much too unbalanced to do that."

"Dear, I said that that's enough."

"Oh calm down Filthy, we're just stating the obvious. Everypony knows it." My fork drops to the plate.

"Besides, I bet that little foal of hers isn't any better. I'm sure that she's just like her mother." It was that sentence that made me stand up. I stood there for a moment, biting my tounge and my cheeks to keep from saying anything. I did my best to avoid my eyes from behind me and threw the napkin in my hoof at my hardly touched plate.

"Derpy just ignore them, they're just starting rumors." Doctor said, a furrowed but stern brow on his face. I ignore him and stomp out, the last thing I wanted to do was make an even bigger scene.

From behind me, I heard echoes of laughter, drilling it's way into me.

I also heard two sighs, both sounding tired, one seemed agitated, the other seemed saddened. "Check Please."


We ended up going somewhere else to eat. Both Time Turner and I agreed that it would be better to let it be than to interfere, there's no changing their opinions. No matter how much I secretly wanted to snap their necks. But I simply don't have the guts to chew them out about it.

But Time Turner was a little more than ticked off. "How the bloody hay could they say such a thing? Garish trash talking garbage if you ask me. I can't believe you let them say that!!"

I turned to him. "Doctor, they insulted me, and me alone. They may have talked about Dinky, but they never truly said anything bad about her."

"They called you a retard and said that Dinky would take after you!!" He said.

"But they didn't directly direct that towards her, that was more for me than for her. "

"I still think they deserve a good-"

"Stop." I say quietly. He does as I said. "Let's just forget about it. Please? I can take a few comments. If they directly directed it to Dinky, I'd be all with you there, but they didn't so can we please, please, please, just ignore it and enjoy ourselves while we have the chance?" I ask. He looks to me, a look of anger still hidden behind his face. But eventually he sighed as acceptance seemed to replace it.

"Okay."

The rest of the night ended just as it began, and we ended up having a much better time than when we started off. He even offered to walk me home. The whole time, not a single word about that little situation at the restaurant was mentioned.


Once my dress was off, and I was in the bathtub, I sighed. I thought back to those words that echoed away and bounced on the walls of my head.

Retarded

Pathetic

Low IQ

Single Parent

Over and over those words alone bounced away inside my head. I lay there, resting my head on the rim of the bathtub. I felt hot tears bubbling at the edges of my eyes. And before I could stop them, I found them running down my face and mixing with the bathwater wrapped around my neck.

It started of with silent tears, and then I began shaking. It then got to the point of sobbing until the lump forming in my throat became hard to breathe through.

I sink deeper into the water. Letting the water swish my mane around as the river of tears continued to flow.

I would do it for Dinky. I will push through their words and do my best for her. She needs me, even if I'm not the richest mare in the world, or the smartest.

I will push through. For Dinky.