• Published 22nd Oct 2015
  • 4,627 Views, 248 Comments

Sunset Shimmer and the Land of Pokémon - The Skyrunner



Sunset Shimmer wakes up in a strange new world. Can she find a way home?

  • ...
8
 248
 4,627

Paralogue One

The breeze blew softly across the grass, each individual blade waving along with its fellows in the wind. A bell rang out from the nearby building, causing its inhabitants to rush out in a frenzied panic of teenagers. Six in particular wandered from their last classes and headed towards a statue near the center of the courtyard. The statue was recently rebuilt, having been blown to smithereens from the events that took place nearly a month prior.

“Hey girls,” A teen with rainbow hair said as she approached. She’s usually the fastest, and never lacking in the ability to prove that, but the sports fields where she spent her gym class are on the other side of the building entirely, causing her to end up the last one present. “Any word from Sunset yet? I didn’t see her all day.”

“Let me check, Rainbow,” her friend said, one with mulberry hair tied back into a bun. She was the newest member of the group, and still a little reclusive. In fact, she still wore her Crystal Prep uniform to her new school, even though this one had a very lax dress code. Either way, when she went to reach into her bag, a small, violet dog popped its head out, a worn book in his jaws. “Oh! Thanks, Spike.” She said, taking the book from his grasp.

“No problem, Twilight. I just want to get some air.” He jumped out of the bag, and proceeded to run a bit on the grass near the statue. Spike never got the magic out of his system, and so he can talk for an indefinite period of time. The book in the girl’s hands, however, had always been charged with magic. It was a brown tome, with the image of a red and yellow sun on the cover. The six knew the symbol was meaningful to Sunset, but they never asked why.

She flipped open the book, to a page that was still blank. The page opposite still shone with the message their friend received from the current reader’s counterpart in the equine world. “No, she still hasn’t sent anything back. Should we try to send her a message?”

“It’s worth a shot in my opinion, Darling.” A girl with immaculately styled purple hair said. She offered the girl a pen from her own bag.

“Thanks, Rarity. Let’s see… Dear Princess Twilight…” She stopped for a second, and giggled. “Don’t think I could get used to that one… We were just wondering if everything was alright over in Equestria. Sunset said she would get back to us by today, but we didn’t see any sign of her in school. We’re just a little worried, that’s all. Sincerely, Twilight Sparkle and the rest of your friends at Canterlot High. That sounds good, right everyone?”

“It does, but it’s kinda hard to take it back now that you wrote it, Sugarcube.” The resident apple farmer, aptly named Appeljack, said. She smiled and tipped her hat afterward, eliciting a small group laugh at Twilight’s slight embarrassment. Suddenly, the book vibrated with a purple light, and Twilight turned to the next page.

To all of My Friends at Canterlot High,” Twilight started to read to them all. “Sunset informed me that she was headed back to your world. She isn’t there? If she didn’t go to school, I would suggest trying her home, or calling her on those… ‘cell phones,’ right? She’s not over here in Equestria; we finished what I had asked her to help me with late last night. Maybe she just overslept. Your friend, Twilight. P.S. – Spike says hello.”

“That would be fine and all,” Rainbow said, checking her phone, “If I hadn’t already sent like, a bazillion texts to her asking where she is.” She looked a little jumpy.

“Not to mention the fact that ever since we found out she was living in that dreadful hotel, Sunset has been staying with me in my boutique.” Rarity added, looking more and more worried like her friends. “I didn’t see her on my way out this morning; if anything, the door to the room she’s been using was wide open and she was nowhere to be found. I had assumed she already left for the same or was still in Equestria.”

“I’m usually good at playing hide-and-seek,” A vibrantly pink girl added on, “But even I’m not this good…” The six friends looked in deep thought for a second, before she poked her head back up. “Hey, wait a minute. Where’s Dashie?” The now five friends looked around, not spotting prismatic head or tail of their companion. However, one did see something.

“Um, girls…” the last member of their group said, albeit shyly. “I think I saw the portal glow a little…” Turning their heads to the statue, one could catch the last fleeting glimpses of the portal to Equestria glow and fade away. “You don’t think…”

“Dash went through the portal, didn’t she?” Twilight asked. Receiving nods in response, she pinched the bridge of her nose. “Well, should we go after her or send a message to Princess Twilight?”

“Ah reckon we should go after her. No telling what kind of trouble she could get into unless we go there now.” Applejack sighed. “Much as Ah’d hate to drop in uninvited, the bigger problem is Dash most likely doing something reckless. Ah say we go to Equestria and try to sort this mess out.”

“Ooh!” Pinkie said, jumping up in the air, “I should totally find that world’s Pinkie! We can have a big two-world party! We can get the cakes to bake – maybe that world’s Cakes as well! Oh, and we’d of course invite the whole school and –“

“PINKIE!” The rest of the group said loud enough to catch the party girl in mid-sentence. She awkwardly rubbed the back of her head and apologized. Without another word, the friends looked to each other, nodded, and one by one stepped through the portal, not entirely knowing what to expect.

“Ugh… my head…” Twilight said as she collapsed on the other side. She reached up to rub it, only to meet with a protrusion from her forehead. “Huh?” She asked aloud, before looking at what used to be her hand. A lavender hoof shook in front of her face, and she screamed in surprise and shock before rolling backwards onto a pair of wings. A soft ‘meep’ sounded form the owner. Looking back, Twilight saw that the wings were a butter yellow in color, and belonged to a familiar-looking pegasus. “Oh, uhh… sorry… Fluttershy?”

“Oh, no worries Twilight, I’m sure you didn’t mean to…” Her eyes widened when she saw Twilight’s transformed face, the lavender unicorn looking rather adorkable with her glasses perched precariously on her muzzle. “Oh my gosh! A unicorn!” She squeaked out before grabbing her in a tight hug. “You’re so adorable! What’s your name? Can you talk? I really like your mane, it’s so pretty!”

“Fluttershy… I can’t… breathe…” Twilight squeaked out, her new barrel being crushed by the normally timid girl/pegasus. Surprised, Fluttershy dropped the unicorn in shock, while the crushed one caught her breath. The other three girls got up, only to examine their new forms. Applejack was pleasantly surprised to still see her Stetson on her head, while Pinkie was busy chasing her tail. Rarity screamed suddenly, and curled up into a ball. “Rarity, what’s wrong?”

“Darling, this isn’t just a bad thing…” She said, looking up, but still averting her eyes. “This is the. Worst. Possible. Thing!” She hung her head down, and sobbed dramatically.

“Uhh, Rarity? I don’t exactly see what the big deal is.” Twilight said.

“Twilight, we’re naked!”

“Rarity, Ah keep horses on Mah farm. They don’t exactly need clothes like humans do.” Applejack said. “And you know something like this would happen, Sugarcube. Twilight told us she was from a world of ponies. Uhh, the other Twilight, that is.” She added on the last bit by tipping her hat towards the unicorn in question.

“But… But… I can’t go and meet royalty like this!” Rarity protested. “The Twilight of this world may be our friend, but she is also a princess, and we are most likely in her castle! We are just too underdressed for this!”

“Ugh, what’s going on in here?” A voice said from the doorway in the room. The five teenage ponies turned their heads to see a small, purple lizard-like creature at the doorway. “Wait…” It said, rubbing his eyes with a claw. “Twilight? I thought you were in the library… and where are your wings?” His eyes shot open in realization. “Wait… you can’t be Twilight… she doesn’t wear glasses either. Who are you?” Suddenly, the mirror behind the group shimmered, only to reveal an identical lizard who came through.

“Twilight! I saw you guys go through the portal, and I didn’t want to be by myself and-“ He stopped when he spied the young drake across the room. “Whoa, you look just like a dragon!”

“I am a dragon! But who are you? You look just like me!” The first dragon said. Before anything else could be said, a lavender unicorn, albeit with wings, walked up to the room.

“Spike, what’s all the noise up here for? I’m trying to… Study…” Her eyes widened when she saw the mass of ponies and dragon near the portal, including a non-winged version of herself. “Spike, go get some snacks form the kitchen and meet me in the lounge down this hall. I have a feeling my friends didn’t come here just to hang out."


About a half hour later, and two trays of carrots and celery stalks later as well, the friends had retold what happened that morning to Princess Twilight. It would have taken a shorter amount of time, but Rarity had to be persuaded to move farther into the castle despite her lack of dress. Spike was busy learning how hands worked, as the native Spike taught him with the aid of comic books.

“Alright, so let me get this straight…” Princess Twilight said, grabbing a few sheets of paper in her magical aura. “Sunset didn’t’ show up to your house, where she’s staying last night, right Rarity?” A nod form the alabaster unicorn confirmed it. “She then never showed up to school, as Pinkie and Fluttershy can confirm, since they share a last class with her. You then contacted me about it, I gave you my response, and Rainbow Dash jumped through the portal. You all followed so she wouldn’t get into trouble, and here we all are. Does that sound about right?”

“That’s about as plain as it can get, your highness.” Twilight responded.

“No need for the formalities, err… Twilight. I’m not that big a fan of the royal appearance, especially when I’m with good friends.” The princess responded. She then regarded the rest of the group. “Well, we’re in a small problem here. Before we can help Sunset, wherever she is, we need to find Rainbow Dash before she gets into trouble. The only problem is… you girls don’t really know how to walk as ponies just yet.”

It was true, the five friends thought. When they walked down the hall, a few of them fell from tripping over their own forehooves. Fluttershy was relatively okay, but that was due to her having wings. She did get a little bit of practice flying whenever she ‘ponied up’ in the other world, though she was nowhere near as good as her counterpart in Equestria, let alone Rainbow Dash. Alicorn Twilight turned to Spike, and said, “Spike, please go into town and look for Rainbow Dash. Our Dash, that is. Knowing her, she’s either sleeping on a cloud or at Sugarcube Corner right about now.” The dragon not sitting like a dog saluted her, and ran off.

“In the meantime, let’s get you five trotting like ponies should.”