• Published 20th Oct 2015
  • 994 Views, 29 Comments

Hours Loom - TheTimeSword



Twilight's castle was filled with guests, all there to wish Spike a happy hatchday. But when guests start ending up dead, who will be left alive to discover who the murderer is?

Comments ( 5 )

And such is the ending(?). Awesome story!! Definitely held the suspense.

Is the title meaningful?

7676472 Not really. Other than the Introduction chapter, which says the title, the only thing that references are the chapter names. :twilightsmile:

I gotta say, usually kids are inherently safe in slashers, so seeing the gruesome fates of the CMC in this took me by surprise.

Frankly, this story has everything I want in a slasher:

  • Likable characters, first and foremost (victims that are actually massive jerks and supposedly deserve what they're getting are so overdone), which is admittedly likely a bit easier when you already have well-liked characters, but even throughout, even when characters resort to aggression, it's always understandable and sympathetic.
  • Genuine tension. This is definitely an edge of your seat kinda story. The air of danger throughout the story ensures that carnage is not just an empty threat (some newer slashers—cougoughScream6coughcough—could learn a thing of two lol). No one really feels safe at any point in the story, plot armor is nowhere to be found, so any survivals actually feel pretty earned. Since this is written, jumpscares aren't really able to be used (hence why I tend to prefer written horror, but so little of that is actually in the slasher subgenre).
  • A solid mystery. The mystery element is fully thought out and kept me guessing all throughout. There's enough evidence and red herrings to where the twist makes sense but you also can't fully see it coming. It's definitely different than a lot of other whodunnit-style slashers, which give plenty of potential villains, but never really detail any actual possible motives or mystery until the twist, so it's effectively impossible to figure out the killer without guesswork, looking at casting (for movies or tv series, see the trope Narrowed It Down to the Guy I Recognize, and/or going off of last minute judgements based on who is alive and who isn't.
  • Gnarly kills. The gore is used pretty well, and doesn't take away from any of the story's horror at all. Every kill is visceral and packs a punch, which is only accentuated by the likable characters.
  • Most importantly, to me, a kickass Final Girl. Twilight is pretty obvious in this role, being the main character. I mentioned that no one really has plot armor, and that's still true, even if the Final Girl is obvious. The reason for this is that she is constantly fighting for survival and thinking on her feet, justifying her survival. There's also the part where the killer wasn't really trying to kill her until she figured it out, but even after that, she's still fighting.

Overall, a really good story and a solid slasher. I know you haven't posted in awhile, but I'd love to see a completed trilogy if you ever do come back. :twilightsmile:

Login or register to comment