• Published 20th Oct 2015
  • 5,391 Views, 310 Comments

The Other Journal - Ganondorf8



My name is Sunset Shimmer, and I wanted to speak to the human Twilight about a closely guarded secret. I have a journal... one that contains secrets... personal secrets about my life from past to present...secret feelings about my friends...

  • ...
17
 310
 5,391

PreviousChapters Next
Bonus Chapter 1: Cold Sunset

Day: Thursday
Weather: Rainy
Time: 11:00am

If there were any times in my past that I wished to forget, it would be the time that I caught a cold during the first week of February. I've never been sick before in my entire life! Now, I found myself unable to get out of bed and being tended to by my friends. While they looked happy about helping, I knew they didn't like it, but they had no choice; I was perfectly fine with not needing anyone, but Principal Celestia wouldn't have any of it. Things started off well, with someone paying me a visit every hour, and I liked having company around, yet things got difficult when their personal schedules got in the way. I was left to take care of myself. At least, that's what I thought was going to happen. Instead, the one person I never expected decided to keep me company. His presence reminded me of how we were once an item and how I used him as a pawn on my way to power.

The Other Journal
By Ganondorf8
May 20, 2016
Bonus Chapter 1: Cold Sunset.

For a long time, I had been afraid to share my deepest secrets with anyone. I really wanted people to know the real me, but I found it hard because of how my past misdeeds continued to haunt my every waking moment. I started writing down my true feelings in a journal after the Sirens were defeated, making sure not to leave anything out. It became a way for me to express myself without being judged. Whenever something interesting or significant happened, I would write it down and add a little something as a reminder of what happened. It also acted as a reminder of the kind of person I used to be. I may have changed, thanks to Princess Twilight, yet I'm still struggling to overcome my insecurities.

My journal isn't a diary but rather a story--my story, about how I first started off on my journey down a dark path. I was only a foal back then in Equestria. I had the potential to become something great, but things went wrong, and I changed.

For years, I've blamed my parents for ignoring me, and while that opinion hasn't changed, I no longer blame them entirely for my misfortune. Much of what happened were the results of my choices, so the guilt that stems from those choices is mine to bear. By finally telling someone about my story, I felt like a huge weight had been lifted from my shoulders; my heart could finally beat properly after being repressed for so long.

I have Twilight to thank for putting up with me during the night when I shared my story with her. She had been through a terrifying experience as a demonic monster--something I can relate to personally--making her the right person to tell. We both had a bond that was difficult to explain, yet we both acknowledge its existence, claiming that it brought us together as friends. If not for her support, I wouldn't have mustered up the courage to finally tell our friends about what I've said of them, what we've been through, and even my early days in Equestria.

My fear stemmed from the notion that telling them would have broken up the friendship we had all forged with each other, but now that I look back on it, my fear seems silly. Her Highness asked them to become friends with me, and they could've refused and left me to fend for myself in a harsh world. Instead, they put the past behind them and gave me a chance to prove myself. It had been a difficult experience for us, what with the Sirens, the Friendship Games Fundraiser, and even the Anon-A-Miss fiasco during the holidays, but we've reached the point where they have become my family.

Over the course of the next few nights, I retold my story to my friends--I had no intention of telling them in the span of a single night like I had done with Twilight--and they listened to every last word that I said. Their reactions included shock, disgust, joy, sadness, and empathy over what I told them. Twilight, in the meantime, opted to spend those same nights at home explaining to her parents and brother over her decision to transfer from Crystal Prep to CHS. She thought they were going to chew her out over leaving such a prestigious school, but they were actually pretty sympathetic according to what she said about the conversation.

Once I finally finished retelling my story, my friends began talking amongst themselves before asking to be excused for the night to think about what they heard. I thought it odd they decided to just up and leave, but I could understand their thought process; they had to take in a lot of information they never knew before regarding my past. I took a risk telling them my story, and it still had the potential to blow up in my face.

The next night came, and everyone--Twilight included--had gathered at my place of residence in the library. I could tell my friends had many questions to ask, and I had to do all I could to satisfy their curiosity. I wasn't expecting any questions from Twilight--she asked plenty during our night together--yet I shouldn't have underestimated her curiosity.

" You've all had the entire day to think about what I told you." I said.

" I'll admit that what you said hurt pretty bad. We always believed we knew everythin' about you, Sunset, but I guess we only scratched the surface. You’ve been through more than the rest of us have combined." Applejack said.

" While we were kinda mad at first over what you wrote about us, I'm not gonna deny that I do get a big head a lot." Rainbow Dash added.

" That's the least of your worries."

" Hey, I'm just proud of how awesome I am!"

" Sunset didn't seem to like it all that much, either."

" It's okay, Applejack. I know that my opinions have opened up some wounds, but then, you guys have probably written down some ugly things about me. It's actually healthy for us to have some secret thoughts about each other. Being perfect friends would only make us miserable in the long run. By having flaws, we can work on improving ourselves and grow closer together. Besides, writing things like this down helps get it off our chests." I said.

" You sure 'bout that, sugarcube?"

" What I said about each of you pales in comparison to what I said about myself. Looking back on my past, I know that I've made terrible mistakes that caused pain and suffering to so many people--and ponies--so can you blame me for hating everything I've done? I've changed since those days, yet a part of me still feels guilty over what I did in the name of power. Despite abandoning my studies to find my own path, Princess Celestia did teach me something I've finally learned and never forgotten." I answered.

" And that is?"

" Humility." I answered. This was the one thing I lacked which denied me the title of princess and ascension to the status of alicorn. Back then, I was furious over how Celestia thought I wasn't ready to learn the true secrets she kept, such as the mirror. I believed I was entitled to know about its secrets among other arcane lore. To me, everyone else was weak, and I was the perfect unicorn to rule over Equestria. In truth, Celestia was right to deny me; I knew nothing of humility. I didn't realize that my desires were a weakness that held me back from true greatness. Had I been more humble and patient, my life would be different. " I've kept those teachings close to my heart ever since I left Equestria. Originally, I kept them to remind me of my hatred towards her over denying me, but now I see them as an inspiration."

" Is that why you don't want to see anyone make the same mistakes you made?" Rainbow Dash asked.

" If I can guide people down the right path, I can atone for what I did."

" That's mighty noble of you." Applejack said.

" Sounds mushy to me." Rainbow Dash added. Everyone else then turned towards her, disapproving glares spread across their faces. I thought things were going to get ugly, but they burst into laughter instead. Even Rainbow began laughing--and almost fell off her chair--and I couldn't help but join in the laughter.

" Reckoned you'd say somethin' like that."

" You guys know me too well. In all seriousness, though, Sunset, I'm happy that you were able to finally turn things around for yourself. I think everyone will agree with me when I say that we shouldn't have given you a hard time when Princess Twilight asked us to become your friend after the Fall Formal last year." Rainbow Dash said.

" You were just being cautious." I said.

" Maybe, but we should've been honest from the start." Applejack said.

" I deserved the punishment that I got."

" Maybe, but it's also so unfair that Snips and Snails managed to get off from their punishment by turning against you, darling. True friends would never abandon each other, even when an opportunity comes along for them to use to get ahead. They'd rather stick together and accept their punishment." Rarity said.

" At the time, they were never my friends. I just used them to carry out my dirty work." I said. They actually wanted to be friends with me, according to what Snips told me after the Battle of the Bands.

He and Snails were viewed as misfits by the rest of the student body. They felt like outcasts living in a world that didn't understand them and wanted to find others who shared a common connection with them. Snips said that he and Snails saw me as a misfit due to how distant I was with everyone else. I kept to myself because I saw friendship as weak, and they believed I would finally change my stance and become part of their group.

I became "friends" with them because I needed minions who would do anything in exchange for power. They also had to be stupid and easy to manipulate. All I ever did was mistreat them and never once appreciated all their hard work. Their turning against me after the formal was expected, and I ultimately paid the price by being left alone to repair the front entrance.

" Have they forgiven you?"

" It took them a while to finally see me as someone who wasn't a monster."

" Do you hang out with them?"

" I didn't start doing that until after the holidays. It turns out that Snips and Snails are aspiring to become scientists, but I think they're going a little too fast for their sake. I've had to corral them into taking things slowly, but they've complained that they want to try more complicated ideas." I answered.

" Perish the thought. The thought of those two being scientists is simply baffling, but I suppose you're giving them some worthwhile encouragement, darling. You’ve come so far in so little time." Rarity answered.

" Just doing what I can to make amends."

" You know you could just stop, right?" Rainbow Dash asked.

" I have a lot to make up for." I answered. I then looked at each of my friends in turn. Applejack, Rarity, and Rainbow Dash were the most annoyed with my statement, but they need to understand that this is what has to be done for me to finally move on. I've overcome much in order to get away from my past, yet some things take longer than others. Much of what I do these days revolves around fulfilling my own interests, yet I dedicate a portion of my time helping those who need support.

Fluttershy had been quiet during the conversation, so when I turned to look at her, she blushed before turning away. I knew she understood where I was coming from, so I moved my eyes away from her and barely heard her sighing with relief. Pinkie Pie was distracted by scribbling down party ideas in a book she brought with her. While I thought it odd at first that she wasn't more concerned with my past like everyone else, this was just her way of letting me know that she wasn't bothered with what I wrote down in my journal.

That brought me to Twilight, who had just been sitting there the entire time. She had been my pillar of strength by listening to me tell my story, so she understood me better than anyone else, and I was thankful for that. I still felt uneasy when it came to her asking me questions. I know she aspires to learn more about the world around her, yet some things aren't meant to be known by humans.

None of my friends are entirely human anymore. I mean, they still are, but when they pony up, they gain pony ears and tail courtesy of the magic inside of them. I wonder if Twilight can pony up herself, considering she also used magic, even if it was for the wrong reasons.

Just when I thought she had finally run out of questions, Twilight surprised me by asking another one.

" Are you sure you told me everything?" Twilight asked.

" What are you saying?"

" You skipped some things here and there under the pretense that they weren't anything significant, but I think you shouldn't keep such things secret. I know some things might be embarrassing to talk about, but we're your friends, so you shouldn't be ashamed of telling us." Twilight answered.

" She's right, darling." Rarity added.

" What did you skip that was so bad?" Rainbow Dash asked.

" Well..." I answered. I had been trapped into a corner. There was no way of changing the subject or getting them to drop it. Twilight had once again asked a question that I was reluctant to answer, but this time, the rest of our friends were on her side. I couldn't refuse her question no matter how much I protest in defiance. " There was one incident I skipped, and it involved me catching a cold."

" That’s it!? You didn't want Twilight to know you were sick?"

" It wasn't just that. Something else happened that none of you know about. I kept it a secret because it was so embarrassing, and I really don't want to talk about. But I can't refuse Twilight anything--I've tried, never can. Being sick was one of the worst experiences of my life, yet all of you came by to cheer me up, which I did appreciate at the time. When you suddenly couldn't come because of your busy schedules, someone came by to keep me company, and he was the last person I expected. His being so close to me reminded me of when we dated and how I just took him for granted. It doesn't take a genius to know who I'm referring to." I answered.


The holidays had been one of the most hectic experiences I've ever had since coming to this world. Basically, I had been framed by the Crusaders out of jealousy. My friends left me, thinking I was the one responsible for exposing their secrets, yet they were shown the error of their ways when I told them the truth about how much they really meant to me, and I ultimately forgave the Crusaders for what they did. I knew what it felt like to be alone and to be ignored by others. I didn't want the cycle of hatred to continue, as all it did was make people turn against one another until someone got hurt or even worse.

I thought things would finally calm down after that, but I should have known better than to trust that judgment. Ever since magic was introduced into this world by my hands, nothing had ever been the same. Students and staff had to deal with threats from Equestria beyond their understanding, and eventually, they somehow managed to convince themselves that it's just part of a daily routine. Magic may elude their grasp, but at least they acknowledge its existence.

My own magic also suddenly started changing, a fact that I never knew was possible. While I was less experienced than Princess Twilight, I was pretty knowledgeable about magic, yet I wasn't prepared for what happened.

My magic was more potent than that of my friends--being a unicorn gifted in magic would do that to you--but why did I grow phoenix wings just like that? It was a mystery that proved difficult to answer. Perhaps this world behaved differently compared to Equestria regarding the magic arts? That only brings up more questions. Why do my friends and I pony up whenever we play our instruments? Why does it have to be instruments? Why do we pony up? Were there any other ramifications resulting from magic being introduced to a world whose "magic" was limited to stage shows and parlour tricks? My mind became bogged down with so many questions, and it stressed me out. Being the one person who had knowledge of magic made things difficult for me, as everyone turned to me so that I could figure things out without it spiraling out of control.

Unfortunately, my research into figuring out how magic worked hit a snag. I was under the impression that I couldn't get sick--I assumed my magic protected me--so I went outside when it was raining without wearing a coat or umbrella and began taking notes. The magical residue from our previous experiences still lingered, and I wasn't about to rest until I found a definitive answer. I really needed something to go on, otherwise I would start getting desperate.

Why did I go outside in the rain without a coat? Because I was an idiot who thought she was invincible. By the time I finally came in from the rainy cold an hour after I first went outside, my body felt fine, and I was eager to continue, but it was about to get a lot worse. As the afternoon wore on and students started going home, I went back to my place of residence in the library to give myself some quiet solitude and resumed my research. The moment I began sneezing uncontrollably, I knew something was wrong.

It started off with a single sneeze--no problems there, so I thought nothing of it--but it soon turned into a second sneeze, followed by a third, then a fourth, until it got to the point where I just couldn't stop myself. I was fortunate that no one was in the library at the time.

When I could no longer handle the incessant sneezing, I collapsed to the ground and began to crawl slowly towards my makeshift bed. When I finally reached it, my nose got stuffy, and my sneezes continued getting worse. I thought maybe it was just a temporary problem that would go away by the next day, but it turns out that was wishful thinking. This was a problem that would stick around for a couple of weeks.

The next day, I felt even worse than I did before, and I was barely able to stay conscious. To make matters worse, I missed all of my classes, and my friends came to me in order to find out what was wrong--they thought I had skipped class due to focusing on solving the magic problem. When they discovered that I was sick, I was practically quarantined, with my area completely sealed off by some yellow tape. Personally, I thought they were taking things too seriously, but it was in fact a school protocol designed to give students a warning about potential threats to their health. Never had I felt so helpless and so humiliated, all caused by my own hand.

One week later, I wasn't getting any better. The medicine I had been given wasn't working as well as I had hoped.

" Um, how are you feeling today?" Fluttershy asked. My friends had spent every hour since I first got sick coming by to check up on me using a rotation system. Fluttershy's turn had come up, and she brought me a plushie pony for me to cuddle while I remained in bed. She was wearing a bandana across her mouth in case my illness was contagious. Sure, it looked silly, and probably wouldn’t stop a cold--or any virus, for that matter--but I didn’t want to worry her more than she already was.

" I... I've felt better." I answered.

" You sound even worse."

" This medicine doesn't zeem to be working on me... ACHOO."

" Really? But, Principal Celestia recommended it."

" Maybe it doesn't berk because I'm a pony?"

" If that's true, then you would need medicine from Equestria, but, um, I don't think Princess Twilight would be able to bring some over on such short notice. Come to think of it, we haven't seen much of her lately." Fluttershy answered.

" When you're a prinzess, you have commiddments that must be attended to. Her Highness is probably having the timb of ber life meeting--ACHOO-- with dibnitaries, signing official documents, habing her own castle, and wanting to express the Magic of Friendship whereber she goes." I said.

" Do... Do you wish you had that life?"

" Nah! I've accepted by lot... ACHOO!"

" Maybe you should get some rest."

" Yeah... thad would be gud. I appreciate you gibbing be the stubbed plushie, Fluddershy. I really cood do with somebing warm to cuddle while I lay here in bed sneezing and wheezing until I finally rid byself of this code. Ugh! Why did I habe to get byself zig by going outside wibout a coat?" I asked.

" I know you want to figure out the magic problem, Sunset, but you shouldn't risk your health even if it's for a good cause. Um, I mean, you should've asked one of us to lend you a coat and perhaps go outside with you to conduct your research." Fluttershy said. That was the problem I had regarding my current living arrangement. Because I lacked proper funding, I had to be given things just so that I could keep up with everyone else. Sometimes, I had to work for something if it was a necessity, but most of the time, people give me stuff out of sympathy or pity.

" Will somebun else be visiting... ACHOO... uhhhh... later?"

" That may be a problem."

" Problem? Whad do you meab?"

" You see, our schedules this week are very tight, what with our studies, extracurricular activities, and Applejack's family reunion that's happening in a couple of weeks. We're so busy, none of us can find the time to come by and check up on you. I know it sounds bad, and I honestly don't mean to make you feel worse. Um, maybe one of the other students, or even a teacher, might be willing to come and see you." Fluttershy answered.

Was she serious? My friends were so busy that they couldn't pay me a visit during my hour(s) of need? I supposed this was something that was bound to happen. They had their own lives, and I had become a burden all because I thought I couldn't get sick. If my friends weren't able to check up on me, who would take their place? Most students don't know that I live in the library--Principal Celestia wanted to keep it hush-hush--and if they did find out, they would be asking a lot of questions. The teachers couldn't afford to check up on me either. They didn't want to run the risk of catching my cold and being forced to take some sick days off.

Maybe it was for the best that no one else came to see me. After all, I had long since gotten used to the sounds of my own company. Even before friendship entered my life, I walked about both Equestria and this world without any companions by my side.

" Yub don't neeb tu be concerbed about me... ACHOO."

" Are you sure, Sunset? Everyone deserves to have someone with them to keep their spirits up. No one deserves to be alone. I'm sure I can convince one of the others to change their schedule to come and keep you company. Um, I'd do it myself, but the animal shelter recently got more animals. The doctors have their hands full and need volunteers to be there at all times until things calm down." Fluttershy said.

" I'll be fine on by own."

Fluttershy didn't say another word after that. Instead, she simply turned and walked away without looking back at me. I knew she was disappointed with my decision, but I was thinking about the long-term goal as opposed to anything else. I was a walking plague carrier who could easily infect others. Their bandanas covered their mouths and prevented them from breathing in the bigger things coming from me, but it just wasn't enough. Even if they didn’t breathe in and catch my cold, any part of their bodies could carry it, resulting in more students becoming bedridden for who knows how long. To ensure that no else paid for my own blunder, being alone was what had to be done.

For the next couple of days, I remained in bed with only my thoughts to keep me company. It may not have been much, but it gave me some time to think about everything that has happened to me these past few months. If not for Her Highness, I probably wouldn't even be attending CHS. My desire for power and world domination came crashing down around me when I was defeated by the Magic of Friendship. I was facing possible expulsion and perhaps time in this world's version of a dungeon. I'm glad none of that came to pass. Still, I do think back on the poor choices I made. I'd love to go back and change them, but I know that's impossible. What happened in the past can't be changed, but the future is still a clean slate.

Eventually, I managed to muster up enough strength to climb out of bed without anyone assisting me, yet my body had grown too attached to the warmth of my blanket. Walking around without it draped over me wasn't an option, so I would wrap it around my body and shuffle about short distances. Sure, it looked strange, but it was a work in progress on the road to recovery.

" My body feels like it's about to collapse from so much strain." I said to myself, shuffling forward after getting out of bed again and wrapping myself up with my blanket. " Why haven't I gotten over this stupid cold? I should be working on figuring out the magic problem, yet here I am sneezing my life away with no signs of relief. If I were in Equestria, I'd have been given a potion, spell, or any other magical remedy to help cure what ails me. Sometimes, this world feels like a backwater place compared to back home. I guess that's not really fair, though. I have to remember that things are different here and that magic is a foreign entity."

Walking to my backpack, I opened it up--it proved difficult due to my lack of strength--and began rummaging around for my magic journal. I always have it on my person in case I ever felt the need to send a message to Princess Twilight. I thought about telling her that I needed a remedy from back home that would actually work instead of what I'd been taking and that she should deliver it in person. " Maybe I shouldn't bother her, after all. She's a princess, and that means her subjects need her guidance. She can't abandon them just to see some sick person living in another dimension. No, it's not right for me to drag her away from something important. Guess I'll just get back into bed and simply wait for this cold to run its course." I said to myself.

" I'm surprised you're up and about."

" Huh!?" I exclaimed, turning to see who had just spoken to me.

" At least you're still quick on your feet."

" Flash!? What are you doing here?" I asked. Standing behind me was Flash Sentry with a smile on his face. I was surprised that he decided to pay me a visit considering what he and I have been through since the day we first met--that was when I came to this world initially. He was wearing a bandana around his face like everyone else who came to see me, yet it didn't explain why he was here. He usually had a jam session with his band "Flash Drive" around this time of the day, so why be here when he should be with them? I mean, I did appreciate his presence and all, but it felt wrong to have him here when he could playing some music for his admirers.

" I wanted to keep you company."

" You know that I'm sick, right?"

" Everyone gets sick, Sunset, but you don't need to be so melodramatic about it."

" What!?"

" Fluttershy and the others told me that you've been saying that this illness of yours is going to bring you down completely, it’s yours to bear alone, yadda yadda yadda. What you've got is a simple common cold from staying out in the rain too long. I'm not sure why you went outside without a coat, but who am I to tell you what to do?" Flash answered.

" I've neber--ACHOO--been zig before!" Oh great, my nose started getting stuffed again.

" Really? You must have quite the immune system, but if that's true, then how did you get sick now?"

" That's... a bit harb to explain."

" If you're having a problem explaining it to me, I understand, but maybe I can help you get some confidence?" Flash asked. The look he gave me. I remember that from a long time ago back when we first met after I came through the portal.

I was much different then as I was now. I left Equestria out of resentment, leaving everything behind in order to start all over again, yet I wasn't prepared to experience life as a human. It took me a while to finally get used to walking on two legs and holding things rather than using magic. I had help adjusting to my new existence, and Flash was that help. He offered to help a total stranger just because he thought I needed it. I merely scoffed at his kindness and thought he was pathetic for helping someone he didn't know.

He wasn't the pathetic one. I was. He did everything in his power to help me survive my first night in this world. He also put up with me when we became an item. Looking back on that now, I know that I did him a great wrong by taking advantage of how popular he was at CHS. I used his influence to further my own ambitions, and he didn't deserve to be treated as a tool for my own benefit. Flash has said that he's forgiven me for what I did to him, but was he telling the truth? Deep down, he may still hold a grudge. I know he's not the sort who would seek out revenge, but the Battle of the Bands certainly displayed his aggressive nature.

Our relationship wasn't romantic in the slightest despite what others said. While Flash truly loved me, I never felt the same way in return. That's why he chose to break up with me, especially after discovering that I had been using him. He felt there was no connection between us, and a relationship couldn't last if it only worked in one direction. I thought of getting revenge on him for dumping me, but he was right to have ended our relationship. We're still friends even now, but perhaps there's still a tiny flicker of when we were together?

Did this mean I loved him even though I treated him like dirt? I felt conflicted by this. Flash had moved on from me and had fallen for Her Highness, so I should be happy that he found someone he believes is the one, though he doesn't know that Princess Twilight is an alicorn from another world. He doesn't even know that I'm from the same world. That's when I began to think about my current situation and not what once was. Was I having some kind of rebound?

" Ummm..."

" Maybe it's better if I don't know. You're obviously uncomfortable with talking about it judging from how nervous you look, so I won't pry into it anymore. Still, I’m amazed that you went so many years without ever getting sick. I think you have quite a strong immune system. I guess it just finally met its match." Flash said.

" Sorry if I obbended yub."

" Don’t worry about it."

" I know thad I zound grouchy, but you wud be doo if yu were zig."

" You've always had a temper ever since the day I first met you. I'm sure you remember that night really well."

" Yeah... It was the first tibe I camb here to Canderlot. I wuz new in town and didn't know--ACHOO--where anyding was." I said, making sure not to mention that I came through a portal mere minutes before he found me out in the cold. " I'm surbrised you would helb someone who wuz a complete stranger... ACHOO."

" When I saw you stumbling about, I thought you had either run away from home, was living on the streets, or you were running away from something."

" The virst one."

" What was that?"

" The first ding you said--ACHOO--that's wut happened to me." I answered. My sneezing was getting worse in addition to my stuffed-up nose making it hard for me to say my words properly. So far, Flash understood what I was saying, yet there were bound to be some hiccups every now and then. " I lived subwhere really fancy, but lept when I learned I wuzn't going to be gedding someding I had been destined to receibe."

" Sorry to hear that."

" It wuz my own fault."

" Ever think about going back?"

" All the tibe, but it’s hard for be to convince myzelf to gu there after the falling oud I had with my mentor... ACHOO. She beliebed in me and taught me everyding I wanted to know, but I went behind her back and learned someding I wasn't supposed to. Not a day goez by that I regret by decision, Flash. I was a selfish student who thought she deserbed everyding without working--ACHOO--working for it." I answered.

" Is that why you were so cold when we were dating?"

" Yeah. I wanted power above anyding else."

" Sunset, I wish you had told me this sooner."

" Back den, I saw you as noding but a tool to use to furder my own desires."

" Yeah, I figured that one out on my own when others started telling me about some of the stuff you were doing. Even though our relationship ended on bad terms, I still enjoyed our time together, and nothing will ever change that. A part of me still wishes that we were together, though. At least we managed to patch things up between us and become friends." Flash said.

" A small bart ub me thinks dere's a flicker that still exists."

" Really?"

" Yez."

" Wow... I don't know what to say about that. I mean, I still like you as a friend, but romantically? I don't think the two of us could ever be together as a couple despite the fact that the experience we had was interesting. My heart has found someone else, and even though I don’t know much about her, Twilight does acknowledge that there's a spark between us. Do I think it will go anywhere? Maybe, but if she decides that I'm not the one, I'd accept her decision and break up on good terms." Flash said.

If I had been the old me, I would have done everything in my power to make him miserable for breaking my heart. However, I was fine with what he just said. We both had our time together, despite how lopsided it was for him. There was nothing left between us that could make it work again, so him moving onto Twilight was a natural occurrence, and she did bring out his clumsy personality he hid behind all that bravado. I wasn’t surprised about what he said about his relationship with Her Highness. I still think they make a cute couple, and I admire him for being a man by accepting whatever outcome occurs. Most in that position take it pretty hard.

" I'm okay wid that." I said, shivering despite being wrapped up. I had been out of bed for too long, and my body was starting to feel cold.

" Maybe you ought to get back into bed."

" ACHOO! Yeah! I need to rest, or I'll neber feel better. Could you do be a fabour?" I asked, plucking my magic journal out of my backpack and zipping it shut. I had no intention of telling Flash that my journal had the power to make contact with Princess Twilight. For one thing, he would never believe it could do that. Second, if he did believe in the magic it contained, he'd want to spend every waking moment writing messages to Her Highness, and I would eventually run out of pages--though, I wasn't sure if I even could reach the end.

" Sure.”

" I doe it will sound weird, but while you stay here and keeb be company--ACHOO--can we consider dis as one last date? What I mean is, we can habe an actual date where bode of us are enjoying ourselves--ACHOO--inztead ub just you." I said.

" Doesn't bother me one bit if you want it that way."

" Oh, and I'll make sure no one elze hears--ACHOO--about dis. You can ibagine the rumours that would sbread around. Neider of us would be able to--ACHOO--walk around school widout being stobbed constantly." I said.

" It will be our little secret. Now, come on! We need to get you back into bed where it's nice and warm. If you'd like, I could borrow one of the books nearby and read something to you to keep your mind occupied. I know you have a soft spot for knowledge." Flash said. He then held out his hand to help me get back to bed without putting too much strain on my already aching body.

I don't know why some people saw Flash as annoying. Sure, he does put on this “cool guy” face--most boys his age do--but if you look past that, he can be a really sweet guy who just wants to help others out. He wouldn't even be here with me if Fluttershy hadn't mentioned it. I reminded myself to thank her later.

Getting myself sick also taught me a valuable lesson other than remembering to wear a coat outside when it's raining. I learned that I can't allow myself to become obsessed with trying to figure out how the magic in this world works. Sure, I can work hard to find an answer, but I can’t sacrifice my health in the process. No doubt my friends were poised to give me yet another lecture on doing everything on my own without their support. Much of what I'm doing does go beyond their minds--their lack of knowledge on Equestrian magic was rather evident--so I needed Princess Twilight to give me some good advice, yet they try so hard to make sense of it all, and they really want to help.

This was a rather pleasant experience that happened to me, but compared to some of the other things I've witnessed since the beginning, I'd put this one as private; it doesn't affect my life on a larger scale. I was sure my friends will ask me a mountain of questions about what Flash and I were doing together, and I'll say that he came by to keep me company. Besides, he was only there for an hour--he did have his own schedule to maintain--so it's not like anything was going to happen.

I planned on never coming down with an illness again, and that involved making sure not to believe myself to be immune to everything around me.

I’m still a bit under the weather even as I write this. Once I make a full recovery, I shall resume my research as a magic investigator.


" That was pretty funny!" Pinkie Pie said, giggling so hard that she had to cover her mouth with her hands to stop herself from spitting on us.

" And what makes you think that?" I asked.

" You were saying so many funny words."

" I had a stuffy nose, remember?"

" Well, duh! What I mean is that you wrote a lot of depressing stuff in your journal, but what you just read to us was without a doubt the funniest thing in there. We all needed a good laugh after hearing about how difficult your life has been. You know, Sunset, you really should consider doing stand-up. You could make a unique routine by using your stuffy nose." Pinkie Pie answered.

" Yes, I suppose you could say it like that."

" Being a comedian?" Rainbow Dash asked.

" Us needing a good laugh."

" Oh."

" I can understand why you didn't want to tell me about that particular incident while we were going through your journal initially." Twilight said.

" It wasn't really all that significant." I said. In my eyes, what happened when I was sick was just an unfortunate coincidence that I didn't need to mention to Twilight. I know I got to spend a moment with Flash Sentry and reflect upon how both of us had changed since we initially met, but compared to the rest of my story, it was just a small blip. " I'm hoping none of you get the wrong idea by thinking we're getting back together." I quickly darted my head back and forth to make sure they weren't thinking of spreading rumours. I didn't want to have to manually delete something from their phones.

Flash and I had our time together--despite me using him as a tool--but now we've moved on from that. What I felt while sick was only a fleeting moment of attraction that quickly disappeared after Flash left. Princess Twilight and Flash were meant for each other, and I couldn't be more proud of that. It’s not like it meant I was doomed to remain single. Right now, though, I want to focus on getting through the rest of high school and figure out when I'll muster up the courage to go back home to Equestria. Princess Celestia continues to hold hope that she will see me come back to her after so long.

I want to go back, but only when I feel the time is right. I'm still expecting to have to answer for what I did--and likely be exiled to the desolate wastes. I know she will try and make sure I don't get convicted, but Princess Celestia can't do that. She must remain firm in her resolve when it comes time to punishing me for betraying her.

" Guess bein' sick had a bright side after all." Applejack said.

" Maybe, but I still blame myself for going outside in the rain without a coat."

" Now y'all know not to do that next time."

" It was even worse than all those times I fell in the snow."

" At least you didn't catch a cold from that." Pinkie Pie said. Everyone else started laughing in response, and I couldn't help but join in. I may have had some unfortunate blunders that involved getting hurt, but they all pale in comparison to being confined to a bed for a couple of weeks.

Once we got that out of our system, Pinkie then asked a serious question. " Do you have any other snippets of your life you wish to share with us? Or, is that really the end?"

" I wouldn't mind another story." Rainbow Dash answered.

" Well, there's plenty of other things I wrote down in this journal." I said, combing through and stopping at various pages. " The thing is, a lot of these really are minor things that happened. Others are actually embarrassing and I'd rather not talk about them at all. If you want me to, I suppose I could find something of interest. I'd say I have enough here to last about another dozen chapters if we're speaking hypothetically."

" May I make a suggestion?" Twilight asked. We all turned to look at her, and she cowered slightly. I waved my hands to inform her that she didn't need to act that way in front of us, and she slowly regained her composure. I guess she still needed some time to get used to the idea of having friends. " Um, I was thinking about how I enjoyed my sleepover with Sunset despite the sad undertones that revolved around it. It was an experience I've never felt before, and I really want to go through with it again."

" You want another sleepover?"

" I'm still new to all of you, as you are to me, and I think a sleepover would give us a chance to find some common ground."

" That's sounds like a good idea." Applejack said.

" Question is, who's place do we have it at?" Rainbow Dash asked.

" Oooh! Oooh! Why not my place? After all, we've had some of the best sleepovers there!" Pinkie Pie answered.

" I was thinking of Sunset's place." Twilight said. My eyes opened wide when she mentioned my place of residence. I hoped she was joking. My place is certainly big enough to accommodate seven people, but the problem was that the library belonged to the school. I'm allowed to live there through special circumstances. Mrs. Cheerilee and the janitors still complain that I should live somewhere else.

Should I be found taking advantage of Principal Celestia's kind gesture, not only would I lose the right to live amongst the bookshelves, I'd also have to give back the special key that grants me access to the main entrance and the library after hours.

Another problem involved my friends and how crazy they can get whenever we have a sleepover. Sure, we spend a good chunk of time having a blast, but because of how precious the books are--I sound like Her Highness--they could be damaged, and I'd be responsible. I understand that Twilight wants us to be in an environment that caters to her and would make her feel comfortable, but my place is terrible for sleepovers.

" Twilight... Remember what I said to you about my place?"

She didn't respond. Instead, the others gathered around her to discuss what kinds of activities they could have. Just when I thought that I finally came to the end of my journal, I now found myself compelled to write in it again.

PreviousChapters Next