• Published 20th Oct 2015
  • 5,391 Views, 310 Comments

The Other Journal - Ganondorf8



My name is Sunset Shimmer, and I wanted to speak to the human Twilight about a closely guarded secret. I have a journal... one that contains secrets... personal secrets about my life from past to present...secret feelings about my friends...

  • ...
17
 310
 5,391

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 64: The Party

Day: Thursday
Weather: Clear, starry skies
Time: 7:00pm

Once again, my worst fears had been realized, but they were also clouded by confusion. The person I thought was Princess Twilight turned out to be the human version of her. My heart never once imagined that scenario, yet my mind believed it to be a possibility. This other Twilight Sparkle looked identical to Her Highness aside from a few aesthetic differences, but she was similar enough for my friends to believe we had been reunited with our friend. Once Principal Cinch came along and revealed the truth, we were all heartbroken and longing for answers. I unintentionally revealed that I hadn't been receiving replies from Her Highness. Just when I thought things couldn't get any worse, Twilight did something to the Wondercolt statue. The portal to Equestria had vanished! I intended on telling my friends about this immediately and perhaps finding out what she did during the party that was happening later that night.

The Other Journal
By Ganondorf8
March 18, 2016
Chapter 64: The Party.

" You know, I was thinking. Couldn't Princess Twilight create a new portal?" Twilight asked.

" To replace the one you accidentally stole?" I asked.

" Yes."

" As I mentioned, she used what was written down by Star Swirl the Bearded, her own ingenuity, and the journal Princess Celestia once used to communicate with me. Sure, it sounds simple, and it was, but there's one other thing that's required." I said.

" What's that?"

" Her Highness could've easily made a new portal, yet she didn't know the exact dimensional coordinates that connect to this world. I know it sounds weird using a scientific concept when talking about magic, but without knowing exactly where to connect to, she could've ended up anywhere across the multiverse. When Star Swirl created the mirror that Princess Twilight and I used, he decided to wing it. The fact that going through it leads to this world was purely accidental." I answered.

" Star Swirl didn't know where the portal went to?" Twilight asked.

" He was a pioneer for magic throughout Equestria, yet even he was cautious when he needed to be. The original mirror he created, the prototype, was flawed, and he spent a long time trying to perfect it with Princess Celestia. No matter how many times they had to adjust the coordinates, it kept on leading them to different dimensions until it finally connected with an alternate Equestria. Other than knowing that it was an 'anti-Equestria', I don't know what experiences they had. Celestia never did like talking about it when I was her student, and back then, I didn't particularly care." I answered.

" Sunset..."

" I was different back then, Twilight. Looking back on it now, I should've been at least sympathetic without trying to make her share her secrets. Anyway, since Star Swirl never wrote down any coordinates, the chances of Her Highness connecting a new portal to this world was slim to none." I said. You'd think that someone as legendary as the most powerful unicorn Equestria had ever known would've been smart enough to write down something as simple as dimensional coordinates. Princess Twilight always kept on harping about how great a pony Star Swirl was, yet to make such a simple oversight like that? I had to question his intellect for not writing down the obvious.

Of course, only he had the magical skills to create a means of connecting Equestria to other worlds. I don't know what exactly inspired him to want to take the risk, but I assumed that it related to his pursuit of knowledge. There were some ponies who often wondered what things were like in worlds other than our own, yet most saw such thoughts as purely fantasy. That's why Star Swirl's research into magical portals was never made public. The outcry was too strong a force to not be ignored, so he opted to keep it a secret project known only to himself and Princess Celestia. I have Princess Twilight to thank for telling me about Star Swirl's exploits as written down in his notes.

She was the one who discovered those notes hidden within his most well-kept hidden sanctum, and she wanted to share them with me because I too had a strong interest in magic much like herself. Granted, I don't fawn over Star Swirl like she does, but that's due to not studying that much about his life. Princess Celestia tried teaching me about his contributions to Equestrian magic, but it was boring to me, so my studies went in a different direction. Princess Twilight bases her own magical experiences on Star Swirl's teachings and geeks out whenever she comes into contact with anything that belonged to or was touched by him.

" It sounds to me that Star Swirl wasn't perfect." Twilight said.

" He never aimed to be, but you're right about him not being perfect."

" I am?"

" Legend says that he could've been the first male alicorn to have ever existed in Equestria. He had all of the requirements necessary for him to ascend, but there was one thing that held him back, and it was something he deemed as weak." I answered.

" What was it?"

" Friendship! He actually used to open his heart towards making friends, but over the years, he lost his way and became consumed with pursuing knowledge. He never found the time to interact with his fellow ponies aside from those he had to, such as Princess Celestia, so the idea of him ascending to an alicorn was lost. A shame, really, but it was his falling out with Celestia that ultimately condemned him." I answered.

" He's kind of like you, in a way. Both of you lost the meaning of friendship and closed your hearts to it. While I don't know if Star Swirl the Bearded ever regained the ability to understand the magic of friendship, I know that you would regain it, thanks in large part to Princess Twilight and our friends." Twilight answered. She was close, but she failed to take one thing into consideration: I never had friendship to begin with when I lived in Equestria. Once it became apparent to me that my parents were doting over my siblings, I felt betrayed. I didn't want to experience anything like that again, and that meant closing my heart to friendship.

" Twilight... I never had friendship until I came here." I said. Twilight appeared surprised at my sudden revelation, but then, she quickly nodded her head, patting my shoulder in comfort. While choosing to isolate myself and manipulating people was my idea, it would've never come to me had my parents given me the attention I coveted.

Was I acting like a spoiled brat just because I was ignored? Yes, I suppose that was true. I wanted to be noticed because I was the youngest, but that wasn't enough to convince my parents to focus on me and leave my siblings to fend for themselves. My siblings, from what little of them I remember, were all child prodigies who gained their cutie marks early in their lives. They had each dedicated themselves to their special talents, yet I never received my mark at the time of life that they did.

Was I a disappointment to my parents for being different in that regard? It's an answer I'll never know. Once Princess Celestia accepted me as her student, I left my home and never bothered to go back again. How could I after the way I was treated? They probably thought that under her guidance, I became one of the greatest unicorns who ever lived. If they still think that way, they might attempt to become part of my life again. No matter what, though, my entire family no longer means anything to me. As far as I'm concerned, they all passed away years ago, and my friends are now my family. Was I being idiotic for thinking those who brought me into the world were dead, though? Perhaps I should think things over once I've finished divulging the remaining contents of the journal to Twilight.

" I'm sorry to hear that." Twilight said.

" It's okay, though. I've got you and the others now, and I'm much better off now than I was before."

" And Star Swirl?"

" He never made a friend again after what happened and passed away, alone and surrounded by his work."

" How unfortunate."

" The price of knowledge is to forsake everything else."

" Anyway, you said that you had to inform our friends about what happened?"

" At first, I thought about not telling them anything. After all, the only one in this world who truly cared about the portal's well-being was me. But, after thinking it over while crying in front of the Wondercolt statue, I realized that I had to let them know exactly what was going on in my head. There was no other way around it. I had been keeping too many secrets from them, and true friends would never do anything of the sort. It wasn't easy, however, to get them to listen to what I had to say." I answered.

" I'm going to say Rainbow Dash had something to do with it."

" She had gotten even more excited about the Friendship Games than ever before, and she didn't want to hear about my problems."

" How heartless!"

" No, I don't think so. She was just passionate about wanting CHS to finally beat Crystal Prep and couldn't accept anything else as being important."


I had experienced all kinds of nightmares during my time living in this world; my fellow students shunning me, my best friends abandoning me, accusations of being a monster, my own internal conflicts, and more had been plaguing me at every turn. Yet what happened in front of the Wondercolt statue was, without a doubt, the worst thing I had ever experienced, far worse than anything in my entire life. What was going to be an attempt in going back to Equestria in hopes of finding Princess Twilight, all while dealing with the thought of being arrested for my past misdeeds, had been shattered in an instant. The portal had disappeared. It was gone. Poof! Just like that, my only way back home had been lost.

How could this have happened? I knew the portal was unstable, given how Her Highness had to alter it so that it could be used more than once every several months, but for it to simply vanish? I didn't want to believe that this was my reality, but no amount of wishing would change anything. Not only was I now trapped in this world but Her Highness could no longer come through the portal on her end, either. I didn't know if she was aware that something had happened, but given how she hadn't been responding to my messages, I suspected she remained oblivious. Perhaps that was a good thing. Her Highness, in all of her majestic glory, did have moments where she would freak out. If she suddenly discovered that her only means of coming to this world were gone, I don't think she would be able to handle it.

Then again, I wasn't taking it very well, either. While it was true that I hadn't set foot in Equestria ever since stealing her crown, a part of me still longed for the day when I could roam around on four hooves, fling magic about without a care, and experience all kinds of adventures that were merely the stuff of tales here. Despite my initial hesitation, I missed the quests, the creatures, the tests, and more. How could I have ever considered throwing away such an important part of my life? Granted, it wasn't the best part, but it still happened, and nothing would ever change that.

My heart had been fighting itself to determine what I should do with my life. Should I stay here with the family and friends I had forged? Should I go back to Equestria to pick up where I left off and make amends for the problems I caused? Or, should I perhaps choose a third option that involved going back and forth between the two worlds, spending equal time in both places so that one isn't neglected over the other? The third option, sadly, was nothing more than wistful fantasy on my part. Despite Princess Twilight adjusting the portal to allow her to come here any time she wanted, it still remained unstable. Star Swirl the Bearded, the one who originally created the portal, never intended for it to be used that often. If something happened that caused the portal to disappear, anyone in the process of using it would be lost forever. That's why Her Highness doesn't just show up whenever she wants. It isn't just because of her duties as a princess; it's also because of instability caused by an ancient magic that could fail at any time.

While I wept, I thought about how to approach the current situation. A part of me wanted to keep all of this a secret and not discourage my friends from doing their best during the Games tomorrow. However, the other part wanted me to tell them everything. They weren't just my friends. They were my family, and family members don't hide secrets from one another. I knew what had to be done. Getting up from the ground and wiping away my tears, I entered the building to find them.

I suspected that they had gone to the gym in hopes of learning what the events would be. Sure enough, they were standing outside. At first, they looked dejected, but they quickly smiled upon seeing me, everyone aside from Rainbow Dash showing concern over my condition.

" Hey Sunset!" Rainbow Dash announced. " What took you so long? I thought you said you'd catch up with us? Guess it doesn't matter now since you're here, though! Listen! We were trying to find out anything about tomorrow's events, but they've locked us out of the gym. They said they were revamping things in there for the party later, but I think they're hiding something."

" Only you would think that." Applejack said.

" It's still possible, though."

" No point in worrin' 'bout knowing what the events are gonna be. I'm sure we'll find out tomorrow. Besides, it's not like Crystal Prep knows what the events are, either. I doubt that Principal Cinch would stoop to cheatin' by tellin' her team what she knows." Applejack said.

" Anyway, I'm just completely stoked that the Games are finally starting tomorrow. All that training we did these past two weeks are gonna be worth it! I know we're still the underdogs, but we can cause our share of damage as well. How about you, Sunset? Looking forward to competing for CHS with your friends?" Rainbow Dash asked. I remained silent with my head held low. I thought Rainbow could tell that something was wrong, but she completely ignored that. Instead, she focused on how I felt about the Games as opposed to what was going through my mind. " This is your first time competing in something this big, right? I know you're probably nervous, but you don't need to be. When you're as chill as I am, everything else just passes you by without notice. Just think! Tomorrow, we'll all be basking in the sweet, sweet embrace of victory."

" I guess." I said. My mind was too preoccupied to think about what she had just said.

" Is somethin' wrong, sugarcube?" Applejack asked.

" I've been thinking about this for the last couple of minutes, and I decided that I need to tell you what's been going on."

" I knew you were hidin' somethin' from us." Applejack said, unsurprisingly. Still, before I could tell them about my homesickness, however, I needed to tell them about what happened with the portal. " Well, Sunset? If you want to say somethin', we're ready to hear you out." Applejack said.

" What!? But, what about getting pumped for tomorrow?" Rainbow Dash asked.

" Sunset's feelings come before anything else!"

" Yeah, I guess you're right."

" So, what's been goin' on with you?"

" After I left you guys earlier, I went outside to check out the Wondercolt statue. I know you told me not to worry about Princess Twilight, Applejack, but I couldn't get over the fact that something must have happened to her. I thought that maybe I could quickly pop back to Equestria and find her, but something happened." I answered. My friends stared at me with confused expressions, and it took me a few seconds to figure out why. " Yes, I'm aware that I said that I didn't want to go back out of fear of being arrested and exiled, but this was an emergency."

" What happened next, darling?" Rarity asked.

" I placed my hand on the statue's base, and then something from the other side started pulling my magic."

" From Equestria?" Applejack asked.

" No, the other side of the statue. I tried to break free, but my hand was firmly stuck to the marble until an electrical surge got me loose. I quickly got up after landing on the ground and went around to see what happened, and I spotted the other Twilight, who had also hit the ground. That strange pendant she wore around her neck was crackling with electricity, but she ran away before I could ask her what she had done. When I reached out and touched the marble, I was shocked to discover that the portal was gone. I thought it was a cruel joke, but it quickly became a nightmare." I answered.

" What do you mean it's gone?" Applejack asked.

" I mean it's gone. It's closed. It's not there anymore!"

" Are you sure about this?" Rarity asked.

" Do you think I'm lying to you right now?" I asked.

" Nope. I can tell you're tellin' us the truth, Sunset, but how could the portal to Equestria just simply vanish?" Applejack asked.

" Yeah! How'd that happen?" Rainbow Dash added.

" I don't know. But it has something to do with that Twilight. After all, she was snooping around the portal just moments before it disappeared along with my magic. I can't believe that my one way back home is completely gone! It also means Her Highness can no longer come here to help us control the magic. I thought that Twilight would've eventually become our friend--albeit just because of her resemblance--but maybe she somehow knew about what's been happening here lately and decided to do something about it in an effort to make us--specifically me--miserable." I answered.

" Weren't those magical events kept to a minimum?" Rarity asked.

" A lot of students have cellphones, so they might have decided to record some footage and upload it onto MyStable." Fluttershy answered.

" Yes, that is a possibility."

" What am I going to do? The portal being closed is the absolute worst thing that can happen! I had hoped to one day use it and go back home to Equestria, but it looks like I'm now stuck here, quite possibly forever." I said. It quickly dawned on me that once again, I babbled out my intentions without properly explaining myself first. Quickly looking up at my friends, they looked at me with eyes wide open, and jaws slightly lowered.

" Sunset? What did you say?" Applejack asked.

I knew this day was going to happen. For a long time, I had repressed my feelings about going home to Equestria. My initial reasoning for not going back was my fears, but when Princess Twilight reassured me that I would be under her protection, combined with the self-doubt I had over solving the magic problem, I suddenly started yearning for what I had left behind when I came here. The urges to gallop across wide plains, shoot magic from my horn at will, experience strange creatures, go on epic adventures, and spend time in the company of my former and current mentors were all just too much for me to continue ignoring.

My friends never knew this was a problem. Again, my feelings towards the land of my birth were repressed. I strongly believed this world was where I'd live until the end of my life, yet I knew that to be nothing but a pathetic display of poor judgment. My efforts in moving on from Equestria were futile. There was no way I could ever forget about my true form, a form which had been neglected longer than I could remember. Because things spiraled out of control without a way to resolve them, I wanted to leave all of this behind and go back to my roots as a unicorn. I was going to abandon everyone I've come to know and love just so that I could live among ponies again. Knowing that was selfish, I still had every intention of going back anyway.

" Well... you see, I've been thinking about this for some time now. I've been stressed out lately with all of these obligations being placed upon my shoulders. I know how important the Games are to all of you, but the magic over here is just so frustrating. It makes no sense!" I answered.

" Awww, you'll figure it out." Rainbow Dash said.

" I'm not sure I want to."

" What do you mean?" Applejack asked.

" Well, I keep thinking that magic should behave in the same manner that it does back in Equestria, but maybe what I really need to do is go back. The magic there makes perfect sense, and it was something I used without any difficulties. I know I used to be a bully, but I was a prodigy, according to Princess Celestia. I must have been if she chose me to become her personal protégé. Anyway, a part of me wants to remain here, and the other part wants me to go home where I belong." I answered.

" You mean, leave us?" Fluttershy asked.

" Of course I don't want to leave all of my friends, but I don't wanna spend my whole life wanting things to be different than they are." I answered. Already, I could tell that my friends didn't know what to make of my words. Even I was having trouble contemplating what I was saying, but I knew that I had to keep on going with this. My friends deserved to know what I've been hiding from them. They've been pretty open with their secrets, so now it fell onto me to return the favour. " Two weeks ago, I had a meeting with Princess Twilight. We discussed the idea of me going back home because of how stressed out I've been."

" Why didn't you tell us she was here?" Applejack asked.

" I wanted our meeting to be between the two of us, and she agreed with my request."

" I can understand that, I guess."

" Her Highness gave me some encouraging words to help me solve the magic problem, but with Rainbow Dash and Rarity's sudden pony-ups, my heart once again rekindled with the desire to go home. Her Highness told me that I could return home any time I wanted, so long as the portal remained open, and that despite what I did in the past, she would ensure my protection was guaranteed." I said.

" So, you want to go back home because you can't solve a simple problem?" Rainbow Dash asked.

" It's not simple!"

" Sounds to me like trying to control magic for the Friendship Games is stressing you out." Pinkie Pie said. She may not have been saying all that much during the conversation, but she definitely hit the nail on the head with that statement. I was tasked with keeping the magic away from the Games, but I found it to be a huge responsibility that had been piled unfairly on me by Principal Celestia and Vice Principal Luna. There were other things I needed to focus my attention on, and being tasked with keeping Crystal Prep oblivious to the magic swirling about CHS proved too much. I was on the verge of a mental breakdown.

" Oh, Sunset." Rarity said as she walked to me, placing her hand on my shoulder. " I'm sure Vice Principal Luna didn't meant to give you any unwanted pressure. No doubt, she merely wanted you to do your best with that task and was completely unaware of your other obligations. If she and her sister had been made aware of what you're involved with, they would've held off until you had more free time."

" That's right! Why don't you wait until after the Games." Applejack said, walking over to me until she was standing opposite Rarity.

" Actually, that was my plan." I said.

" Really? Oh, well, then I guess we can all work on figuring out how the magic works together. We did say that we were going to help you with that no matter what, and we aim to stick with that promise. If you still wanna go back after that, we won't stand in your way." Applejack said, raising her hands and tilting her head, presumably to indicate that she was wiping her hands clean of this whole thing. I then looked at my friends, and I knew they wanted to help me out. Pinkie was the most expressive. She looked she was about to cry, and I didn't want her feeling that way.

" Alright. I mean, I am already on the team. I wouldn't want to let anyone down. I know you would never let me hear the end of it." I said, looking directly at Rainbow Dash.

" I know you're gonna be awesome tomorrow." Rainbow Dash said.

It felt nice knowing that my friends were accepting of my decision to go back home to Equestria. I seriously thought they were going to abandon me for even considering the idea of leaving them to fend off against a foreign entity brought here by yours truly. I underestimated their ability to understand my feelings. In truth, they knew me better than I knew myself.

No wonder the Magic of Friendship could overcome so many problems. If my plan had involved leaving before the Games, things would have taken a turn for the worse, and they would've accused me of turning my back on CHS. No, I had no desire to leave beforehand. I was always going to compete with my friends despite my own convictions. The desire to beat Crystal Prep had gotten stronger within me during those previous days.

What would this world be like without me? Despite living my life as a human, deep down, I was a unicorn. I could never truly be accepted into the society humans had built themselves. I'd forever remain an outcast trying to be something she wasn't. My friends would feel lost without me guiding them along, a position I had inherited from Princess Twilight; she had been the one who initially guided them before I took over. I could just bring them with me to Equestria, but that would only be disastrous. After all, their pony versions exist over there. Having two versions of everyone in the same place wasn't exactly a blessing.

I certainly had a lot to think about during the Friendship Games, yet I needed to focus on those Games, in addition to the party later.


" I'm relieved to know that our friends were so understanding." Twilight said.

" My biggest fear was them taking it the wrong way when I told them about my meeting with Princess Twilight. I was so concerned with what I thought they would say that I didn't think about their true feelings." I said.

" Doesn't it make you think about the present?"

" What do you mean?"

" You've kept the contents of this journal from them for a long time, yet you were able to tell them about your feelings about going back home. It seems to me, Sunset, that you suffer from an inferiority complex. You want to tell people your opinions, but are afraid they will turn on you in an instant. Our friends proved to you that they are understanding and not to be viewed as monsters who desire to make you miserable." Twilight answered.

I couldn't believe it! Twilight was correct! I had been so afraid of what our friends would say about what I had written down in this journal, I decided to keep it to myself and pretend that everything was fine. I've been foolish this entire time, all because of my self-doubt. Our friends knew me better than anyone, especially after everything we've been through together since they first accepted me into the group. I felt utterly pathetic. I had been giving myself unwanted fears because of a mere misconception, and it took my newest friend to open my eyes to the truth.

No wonder I felt comfortable telling Twilight about my past. We're still trying to learn more about each other, and she had proven to have great insight. Despite her own problems, we were drawn to one another because of our fears over how others would view us. I held back my feelings out of fear, while Twilight feared that her intellect would make people abandon her.

For the first time in what felt like forever, I was beginning to truly understand just what kind of person I was. Twilight had told me the honest truth, and now, I needed to apply her kindness by sharing my deepest secrets with those who opened their hearts to me. However, I wasn't ready to go through with unveiling the layers of my existence. There were still a few chapters remaining in the journal that Twilight needed to hear first. My friends deserved to know my true opinions about them, our peers, this world, everything. My words weren't always pleasant and did delve into insulting, but they had a right to know.

" I'll... think about what you said, Twilight." I said.

" I won't force you into doing something that makes you uncomfortable, Sunset, but you do owe it to our friends by being honest with them. I know that I'm not the most reliable of people when talking about honesty, though. After all, I've had moments in my life where I chose to keep certain things close to my heart. Some of those secrets I've been revealing to you throughout the evening." Twilight said. Really? She actually did that? Either I wasn't paying attention, I forgot all about them, or I was more fixated on my own problems--most likely the latter. " So, now the time came for the party to welcome Crystal Prep."

" You were off in your own little world."

" I was looking for strange energy."

" While everyone around you wondered what you were doing."

" There was quite a bit I didn't notice because I was focused on my work."

" My own eyes were certainly observant during the event." I said. Opening up the journal to where I left the bookmark and turning the page over, there were two photos on display taken that night at the party, courtesy of Photo Finish. I should remind myself to thank her for giving me these little mementos to place into my journal. The first one featured a cannon with Pinkie Pie's name labelled on its side, and the other consisted of the gym with various tables, chairs, and other characteristics reminiscent of a party. Confetti could be seen on just about everything, excluding the food. " I heard from Pinkie that you helped her fire her party cannons that night." I said.

" Actually, all I did was push one of them into the gym."

" That explains why I lost track of you."

" You were watching me?"

" Can you honestly blame me? After all, you stole the portal using that pendant, so I wanted to find out what you were doing. Fortunately for the both of us, your teammates got involved when I approached you." I answered.

" Pinkie started talking to me once I separated myself from the gathering that had amassed."

" Rainbow Dash had a few choices words for the Shadowbolts."

" I must have missed that when I talked to Pinkie."

" My aim was to talk to you in private, but Rainbow dragged me into her quarrel."


Now that I had talked to my friends about my desire to go back home to Equestria, I could finally focus on the Friendship Games, or rather, the party that was being held the night before the Games began. It was strange that we were having a get-together between the two schools, since neither side could stand the other. I had since relegated myself to a position of simply going along with it despite thinking that a rivalry was just pointless. Personally, I didn't want to attend; I just wanted to spend my night reading a good book in the library, but it was mandatory that all members from both teams attend.

The party itself was mainly for the benefit of Crystal Prep. After all, they were visiting CHS, and Principal Celestia wanted to give them a warm welcome. How they would react depended on what kind of mood Principal Cinch was in. Despite the party being designed for the students to have fun, I doubted Cinch would've allowed her students to have a good time, especially with the Games looming. She desired her team to remain in peak condition, so interacting with the opposition was limited to glancing at us.

I had to admit that they really went all out with the decorations, yet Pinkie didn't get to contribute to any of it. If it wasn't for the fact that she was one of the athletes competing for the Wondercolts, she would've planned everything on her own. The banner Flash Sentry worked on a couple of weeks ago was on full display, hanging up on the rafters for everyone to see. Music was provided by Vinyl Scratch, and as always, she had nothing to say, but I supposed she wanted to remain focused on providing good tunes. It looked like the perfect night for fun, but I wasn't expecting what I witnessed.

When my friends and I arrived, wearing dresses Rarity had made along with her costumes, we noticed that no one was mingling with anyone from the opposite school. It felt like one of those school dances where the boys and girls stand on opposite sides out of fear. Tensions were much deeper than I originally thought, yet I was concerned with the one person who became my priority. It didn't take long for me to find Twilight. She was walking around by herself and avoiding eye contact with everyone, looking at her pendant with an almost feverish-like obsession in her eyes.

" There she is." I said, pointing a finger at Twilight.

" What in tarnation is she up to?" Applejack asked. If there was one thing I got from what she was doing, it was that Twilight wasn't paying attention to her surroundings. She bumped into one of her fellow students, knocking the drink out of her hand and receiving a scowling in return. " Now ain't that a strange coincidence. Why would one of her own treat her like she were an enemy?"

" I don't know, but in any case, we need to talk to her."

" Think y'all can get a moment?"

" Leave this to me." I answered.

I walked over to Twilight, who was completely oblivious to my approach from behind. Before saying anything, I took a few moments to try and get a better understanding as to what made her different from Her Highness. For one thing, she was more cautious. She was also clumsy and very jittery whenever someone was looking directly at her. I had to ignore such characteristics to find out what happened to the portal.

" Twilight, what have you been up to?" I asked, causing her to suddenly turn around, doing her best to avoid eye contact. " I'm not going to do anything to you, but I need to know what happened earlier by the statue. Don't try to hide your actions."

" Me? Oh, I was just, uh--" Twilight answered, stammering with her words.

" Who wants to know?" demanded an unfamiliar voice.

Turning my eyes to the left, I saw the same girl whose drink was spilt by Twilight a few minutes ago walking over in what looked like an effort to defend her friend. A moment ago, she chastised Twilight for bumping into her, and now she intended on keeping me from seeking the truth? Was she Twilight's friend? Or, perhaps she was one of the Shadowbolts competing in the Games tomorrow? If this girl was indeed Twilight's friend, she was showing a funny way of expressing her friendship.

" And who are you?" I asked.

" Really!? You Wondercolts don't know the names of the Shadowbolts?"

" I'm sure the same can be said the other way."

" Was that your attempt at sarcasm? Pfft! That was pretty lame if you ask me. Still, I might as well educate you and yours by making sure you remember our names. We're gonna be hoisting the trophy come the end of tomorrow when we beat you in a landslide. The name's Indigo Zap, and these are my friends/teammates Sugarcoat, Sour Sweet, Lemon Zest, and Sunny Flare. We do have six other members, not including Twilight, but you only need to remember us."

" Are you kidding me?" Rainbow Dash asked.

" Nope."

" You seriously don't care about telling us the names of your other teammates?"

" If you want my opinion, Crystal Prep can win these games with just the six of us!"

" Wow... And here I thought the Shadowbolts knew what it meant to work as a team. Guess you're all too proud to work together. Heck, I bet you six don't actually get along at all." Rainbow Dash said.

" Take that back!"

" Make me!"

" Is this how CHS students do things now? Gang up whenever one of their own can't handle their own problems?"

" What are you talking about? I just wanted to speak to Twilight one-on-one. Then you came along for whatever reason, and now Rainbow Dash has gotten involved, making things worse. I had no intention of turning this into a heated argument between our two teams." I answered. I cursed Rainbow under my breath for escalating tensions that were already fierce and wished she'd simply backed off and allowed me to handle things. Twilight, in the meantime, slowly backed away in an effort to get away from the gathering but bumped into Pinkie Pie. I was about to walk over to speak with her, but Indigo Zap got in my way, and showed no signs of letting me get past. " Um, do you mind moving aside? I really need to speak to Twilight about what happened earlier." I said.

" I'm not finished here yet!" Indigo Zap answered.

" Well, I am!"

" You tell her, Sunset!" Rainbow Dash shouted.

" Ganging up on me again!? You Wondercolts must be pretty desperate to win if you think you can intimidate us!"

" We're not desperate! We're gonna beat you tomorrow!"

" Yeah, right!"

" Want to make something of this?"

" Like you can hold a candle to me!"

" Alright, everyone. Let's not get too competitive before the Games even start." Applejack said. I felt relieved knowing that she stepped in-between Rainbow and Indigo before either one of them would cause a scene. From what I got from Indigo's attitude, she sounded like a meaner version of Rainbow and had an ego that could easily have been mistaken as it's own planet because of how big it was.

" That is an impossibility." Sugarcoat announced.

" What do you mean?"

" The games aren't really competitive since we've never lost." The way she sounded felt similar to Applejack, in that both told the truth without mincing their words. Sugarcoat, however, was much more blunt about it. Applejack, at the very least, had some emotion in her delivery, while this girl acted like a robot, devoid of any emotion.

" Maybe so, but we can still give y'all the work-around if need be."

" That's not a very nice thing to say." Fluttershy said, walking up to join the argument.

" Sorry, dearie, but these games aren't about being nice." Sunny Flare said. Something about her reminded me of Rarity, but I couldn't quite put my finger on it. This was the third straight coincidence where one of the Shadowbolts was both similar to and the complete opposite of one of my friends. Was this something to be concerned about? Perhaps, but only time would tell once the Games got underway. Actions speak louder than words.

" I know you Shadowbolts view every competition as a must-win scenario, but why not try to have a little bit of fun? Um, I mean, only if you want to. It could actually make you appear less intimidating to the other schools." Fluttershy said.

" Then we're doing our job."

" What do you mean?"

" By intimidating our opponents, they cause their own downfalls by making pointless mistakes. Then, we can take advantage by using our superior skills to beat them without having to break a sweat. Considering how timid you're sounding right now, I think it's safe to say that beating you won't be much of a challenge." Sunny Flare answered.

" Well, you could use a little tact." Rarity said, also joining the fray.

I finally managed to pull myself away from the heated argument between the two teams, and I began to frantically search for Twilight. My immediate reaction was to find Pinkie, as she was the last person I saw speaking to her, but she had also disappeared. My one chance to find out what she had been up to had amounted to nothing, and all because I got dragged into one of Rainbow Dash's conversations. I felt like leaving the party out of sheer disappointment in having my plans denied, but before I could leave, Principal Celestia walked up on stage and began speaking into a microphone. My mind wanted me to leave, but my heart insisted on staying.

" Hello, everyone! I'd like to take this opportunity to greet all of our visitors from Crystal Prep Academy and welcome them to CHS." Principal Celestia said. At least someone was willing to show restraint regarding the rivalry between the two schools. Of course, Principal Celestia had to maintain a sense of neutrality, as her actions alone were more important than those of her students and staff. Anything we did reflected on her ability to be able to guide those under her jurisdiction to become upstanding people. Deep down, I know she wanted to cut loose and give Principal Cinch a piece of her mind. I suspected that she was on hand as well, ready to make an announcement when it suited her. " I would like to recognize the twelve students that CHS has elected to compete. I don't think we could have chosen a better group to represent the excellence, sportsmanship, and friendship the Games stand for."

She moved her hand to present the different members of the Wondercolts, and they responded by waving their hands, winking, bowing, performing a fist pump, or simply making a smile. I was the only one who didn't do anything. My mind was still preoccupied with trying to find out what happened to Twilight. What could she have done to make the portal to Equestria disappear? Maybe she didn't do anything. Could I have done something instead? No, Princess Twilight told me that I could go back home any time I wanted. The thought of her saying one thing and doing the complete opposite was just preposterous.

Music then started playing, and at first, I didn't take much notice of it. I thought that Vinyl Scratch had been given permission by Principal Celestia to make things more festive, but it turned out that Pinkie Pie had decided to "fix" the party in an effort to get both schools to get along. She switched the catering table to include a large assortment of cupcakes instead of the finger food that was there originally. That's when I noticed Twilight had come back, standing behind what appeared to be a gift-wrapped present. Pinkie appeared next to her with her own present and lifted up both packages to reveal party cannons.

Princess Twilight once told me that the Pinkie Pie of Equestria had party cannons of various sizes stored all across Ponyville and used them to help celebrate all kinds of occasions. The human Pinkie wanted to get her own cannon after thinking how easy it could make decorating, and there she was with two in her possession.

Just as I was about to walk over to Twilight, the sound of cannons firing made me stumble, and I lost my balance, dropping to my knees on the ground. Confetti then started raining down from above, but I was more concerned with talking to Twilight. The rain of confetti hindered my vision, yet I wouldn't let that stop me from achieving my goal.

Unfortunately, I was stopped by an untimely interruption from Principal Cinch. She walked onto the stage and tapped the microphone with her finger repeatedly until the feedback from it got so unbearable, everyone covered their ears to avoid the noise. The music Vinyl Scratch played came to a stop before everyone turned their attention towards Cinch, who remained stoic.

" I'd like to thank Principal Celestia for her unconventional welcome." Principal Cinch said.

" What just happened?" I asked.

" I think Principal Cinch just killed the party." Rainbow Dash answered.

" That sounds a little much."

" How do you explain everything coming to a screeching halt?"

" It's been four years since the last Friendship Games, but it feels as though nothing has changed. Canterlot High continues to pick its competitors with a popularity contest. You would think that such a strategy would have been changed by now, yet you continue to stick with methods that have proven insufficient. Judging from what I have seen of the team that you have chosen, Principal Celestia, I expected a worthwhile challenge." Principal Cinch said. She wasn't wasting any time talking down on the Wondercolts and CHS in general. Looking around at students from both schools, the CHS students walked away from the Crystal Prep students, eying them to make sure they didn't try anything suspicious.

When Pinkie's party cannons were fired, everyone started to have fun. The animosity between the two schools briefly disappeared, and it looked like the Games would have actually been friendly, but Cinch didn't want that to happen. She had every intention of reminding CHS of their shortcomings against Crystal Prep. While her methods were cruel, it was having the desired effect. In her eyes, her students were displaying characteristics pertaining to weakness, so she needed to nip that bud quickly to avoid any possible damage from occurring that could give us an edge.

" I'd like to think our selection of students provides a balanced team." Principal Celestia said.

" Yes, I can see that you clearly focused on the students who do not excel in any one particular area. Crystal Prep continues to field its top twelve students, the very best that my school has to offer. They each have mastered numerous disciplines that shall prepare them for the future that awaits once they have completed their education. I am not sure if the same applies with your students. It would seem they are more concerned with having fun instead of focusing on their careers beyond high school. I'm sure it is a comfort to know that even after so many years of losses, your school remains committed to its ideals, however misguided they may be." Principal Cinch said.

" There is no need to take things that far."

" I am only telling you the truth."

" CHS's ideals have been the cornerstone of our institution for years."

" Yes, and that has not transitioned successfully into defeating Crystal Prep in the Friendship Games. You may have had rare victories against us in other competitions, but those are insignificant compared to the Games. I believe this party has gone on too long, so I shall bring it to a worthwhile conclusion. I wish you all the best of luck, regardless of the inevitable outcome." Principal Cinch said. She then walked off the stage, having insulted all of CHS without showing any sign of guilt over her actions. Her words had riled up my fellow students, yet some of them managed to not succumb to their anger and attempted to prevent their peers from taking out their aggression towards Crystal Prep. The Games hadn't even begun, and the animosity had reached epidemic levels.

" Did you hear what she said about us?" Rainbow Dash asked.

" I'm surprised they allowed her to get away with that." I answered.

" Principal Cinch has been talking down to every school in the district for years."

" So, this isn't something new?"

" Nope! She does it to remind everyone that Crystal Prep is the best school in the city because of the numerous awards they've obtained. It makes me sick every time she opens her mouth and spews out anything. You'd think everyone would band together and force her to resign because of how she acts." Rainbow Dash answered.

" They haven't?"

" The school board would never allow it. After all, Crystal Prep has been their darling who has represented the city in competitions against other cities across the country. I also heard that Principal Cinch holds a powerful influence over them, so they've looked the other way." Rainbow Dash answered. If that was the case, then Cinch possessed an incredible amount of power. I wasn't sure if Rainbow was being completely honest with me, so I had to give Cinch the benefit of the doubt. Perhaps her methods were so successful, she was given free reign to continue her practice on the school board. Little did anyone of us realize that she was holding back secrets that could destroy the reputation she had spend years perfecting into what it was.

I then turned my attention towards Pinkie, and walked over when I saw that she looked exhausted.

" Pinkie, what happened to you?" I asked.

" I don't know. Everyone started having fun after Twilight and I fired the party cannons and I ponied up." Pinkie Pie answered.

" You ponied up, as well?"

" Yeah! I felt really floaty when it happened, Sunset. It was the most magical thing I've ever experienced. For a few moments, I felt like I was flying in the air without a care in the world, and everyone looked like tiny ants." Pinkie Pie answered.

" Of course you did."

" Don't you believe me?"

" Yeah, but then, you were snacking on the catering table, which I assume you changed, so I thought you might have been going through another one of your sugar rushes. If you did pony up without playing your drums, you must tell me exactly what happened that caused it." I answered.

" I'd love to, but I can't."

" What? Why not?"

" Everything was going swell, but then my magic just drained right out of me."

" Wait, what do you mean 'drained out of you'? How could your magic suddenly disappear?"

" I have no idea, Sunset. One moment, I was speaking with Twilight about using my party cannons to liven things up. Then, I ponied up a few minutes after seeing everyone having a good time. That's when something pulled my magic out of my body and left me completely exhausted. I've never been tired at a party before, but it's something I'd rather not experience again." Pinkie Pie answered.

Pinkie became the third one of us to have suddenly lost her magic. Rarity was the first victim, then me, and now her. What in the world was going on? Could someone have come through the portal before it was closed? If that was the case, it would mean that this world was being threatened by a power-crazed lunatic from Equestria who had the aspirations of a conqueror.

Soon after, however, a different theory began forming in my mind. Twilight had been around every time one of us lost our magic. Was it possible that she was unknowingly draining our magic and not realizing what it was doing to us? Or, perhaps she had been coaxed into taking our magic by someone from Equestria? Or, did she intend on taking our magic? Many questions without answers, the usual scenario in a situation like this.

I wanted to speak to Twilight in order to hear her side of the story, but she had disappeared. Could she have left during Principal Cinch's speech? I asked Pinkie if she saw her leaving the gym, and she said that her focus was on trying to recover from her exhaustion. The one person I wanted to talk to had slipped through my fingers, so now, I had to wait until another opportunity would come along. Since the Games began first thing in the morning, I'd have to concentrate on doing my best if I was to contribute to CHS's chances of winning. It meant waiting for Twilight to be alone so that I could interrogate her.

My way of thinking sounded harsh, but I had no other choice. Something was happening to us, and I suspected Twilight was involved.


" You don't look surprised that Rainbow Dash got into an argument with Indigo Zap." I said.

" Both of them are equally hot-headed, so it was bound to happen that their egos would clash against one another. I'm sorry that you weren't able to speak to me during the party, yet I had my own problem to deal with." Twilight said.

" With Pinkie? I know she can get very excited when it comes to a party, but she is very sweet once you get to know her."

" I didn't feel comfortable talking to her at first, but then her curiosity regarding my pendant eased my concerns. I just wish she hadn't dragged me off to get those party cannons. I didn't think anyone was allowed to bring something dangerous to school, and cannons definitely fit that description." Twilight said. I began laughing, and she shot me a glare in response. I waved my hands back and forth, indicating that I wasn't laughing at her but at what Pinkie did by bringing her cannons to school. While it's true that CHS had a strict policy on what wasn't allowed on the premises, Pinkie's cannons were an exception.

She had been given permission by Principal Celestia and Vice Principal Luna to bring them onto school grounds, but they could only be used should the two sisters insist on bringing in some extra excitement to liven things up. Another condition involved the cannons being stored away in the storage room below the stage out back when not needed, without their firing mechanisms. Pinkie didn't mind leaving her cannons at school, though. According to her, her family wasn't thrilled about her firing them constantly at home. In fact, she said they insisted on her getting permission to bring them to CHS. Pinkie's family were pretty conservative about how they did things, and cannons weren't something they appreciated, even though they only fired party favors.

" All her party cannons do is fire confetti everywhere." I said.

" That's it!?"

" What were you expecting?"

" Cannonballs and fireworks, mainly."

" Pinkie may unintentionally bend reality to her will, but even she has a limit on what she will do to provide fun."

" Guess I don't know her as well as you do."

" Don't worry, Twilight. I'm sure you'll get used to our friends and their more unusual characteristics."

" I can't believe Principal Cinch would stoop that low and insult everything CHS stood for. Still, it's not really unexpected, given her personality. I do have to give a lot of credit towards Principal Celestia for maintaining her composure when her school was victimized like that. Most principals would have snapped at Principal Cinch for saying such harsh words, but then, she often anticipates them resorting to pounding their chests in the name of school pride." Twilight said.

" Really? Then, she insults other schools and expects retaliation?"

" Her ability to remain calm while speaking her mind has been viewed with envy by other principals throughout the district. She uses a combination of words and appropriate facial expressions that are enough to make someone consider taking drastic measures. I guess it's fortunate, then, that Principal Cinch does tend to get carried away when things don't go the way she wants them to. If her students don't live up to their expectations, she can make their lives a living nightmare." Twilight answered.

" Yet, they continue going to Crystal Prep."

" They endure the harsh treatment they receive if it means getting the best education around."

" I remember seeing Principal Cinch lose her composure during the Academic Decathlon. Her students did the best they could with the resources they had, but it wasn't enough to avoid seeing her glare at them with disappointment. I feel bad that they were silently condemned like that. Their effort was good, but it just couldn't match up against the creative genius of Pinkie Pie." I said. Turning to the next page of the journal, a mathematical equation had been scribbled above some words. Twilight didn't know what to make of it, but I knew what it meant. I thought she would recognize it straight away as what secured her victory in the decathlon. I guess every equation looks the same to her. " CHS were pinning their hopes on me solving this one correctly, yet you proved how good you were."

" Wait! Is this the equation that we both had to solve?"

" Oh, so you do remember."

" They all look the same to me, Sunset. After all, I've solved plenty of them in my time."

" We were lucky that CHS managed to make it that far."

" It still bothers me how you and I were forced to solve something that only postsecondary students would understand."

" You and I were the best both schools had to offer."

" Unfortunately."

" Before we get to my perspective of the event, I'm curious about the members of the Shadowbolts who interacted with us during the party.

PreviousChapters Next