• Published 20th Oct 2015
  • 5,393 Views, 310 Comments

The Other Journal - Ganondorf8



My name is Sunset Shimmer, and I wanted to speak to the human Twilight about a closely guarded secret. I have a journal... one that contains secrets... personal secrets about my life from past to present...secret feelings about my friends...

  • ...
17
 310
 5,393

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 62: Costume Changes

Day: Thursday
Weather: Sunny
Time: 8:39am

If there's one thing I didn't like receiving, it's anything that gave me more stress. Vice Principal Luna told me that I had to keep the magic hidden during the Friendship Games, and she clearly intended for her message to reach my ears alone. Combined with the other problems I had, things were getting out of hand, and I struggled to keep track of everything I needed to resolve. While my friends suspected something was amiss, I assured them that everything was fine, but I knew that I was kidding myself. Even Ms. Cheerilee's attempt at making me feel better amounted to nothing. I had hoped Princess Twilight had written back to me, but she didn't, yet it didn't stop me from sending her another message. What could be going on back home in Equestria? Was Her Highness really that busy? Or, was something else at play? I had no time to ponder over the possibilities. The next day, Crystal Prep arrived to compete. I was pretty nervous about it, but Rarity seemed more energized than usual.

The Other Journal
By Ganondorf8
March 8, 2016
Chapter 62: Costume Changes.

Twilight suddenly glared at me, freezing me on the spot. Had I said something to offend her? No, I didn't think so. All I said was Rarity had made enough costumes for several racks, and that they were for the Friendship Games. Had I used the wrong words? Maybe, but she never told me otherwise. You couldn't fault me for not knowing if certain words were forbidden. I started scratching my head, while Twilight took a sip of her apple cider. She continued glaring at me with those sharp eyes. I knew she was upset, as her gaze never once looked away from me, but why was she looking at me as though I had committed a terrible sin?

As she finished her drink, she continued looking in my direction. I was starting to get very uncomfortable with this scenario. I wanted to look away, but I couldn't, her gaze proving too strong for me to overcome. Twilight then started writing something down on her notepad, and all I could do was just sit there until one of us broke the silence. If I tried to move even a single inch, I was afraid she'd react badly. It felt so unreal. I knew she had some lingering darkness from being a demon, but I didn't think my words would cause such a mood swing like that. Eventually, Twilight would put her notepad and cider to one side before resuming her glare. I needed to say something before this got too unbearable for me.

" Um, why are you looking at me like that?" I asked.

" You said something that reminded me of Principal Cinch." Twilight answered.

" Really? I didn't think I did."

" The moment you said 'for the Friendship Games, of course', my mind immediately brought up the image of when Principal Cinch said a similar statement. She said it when she asked me to see her in the hopes of convincing me to compete in the Games with the other Shadowbolts." Twilight said. She glared at me because of that!? I just said something in the moment without even thinking about her feelings. Then again, why didn't she mention that when she told me about that experience? " Sorry if I made you feel uncomfortable, Sunset, but I still have trouble coming to grips with what happened to me."

" Becoming a demon?" I asked.

" No, not that. What I turned into is its own problem. No, I'm talking about how Principal Cinch forced me to compete. Going to Everton was my dream, and I worked harder than ever in order to even be considered. That institute has a strict requirement all applicants must achieve, otherwise they won't even bother dealing with you. My grades were exactly what they wanted, but I got denied because she wanted me to remain at Crystal Prep." Twilight answered.

" Were you that important?"

" I was the academy's best student, so that made me the face of the school. Losing someone like me would've ruined Principal Cinch's reputation, so she wanted to make sure I remained by any means necessary." Twilight answered.

" Do you ever plan on going to Everton?"

" Eventually, but not until I fully understand friendship."

" You've gotten off to a pretty good start."

" Maybe, but I still have a long way to go." Twilight said. She then began twiddling the lengths of hair that go past her ears, and I thought it was rather odd that she was still doing that. I remember her doing that whenever she felt stressed or nervous. Twilight may be a prodigy, but she had the typical signs of being an introvert: nervousness, nervous habits, difficulty speaking, and so on. I never had any tics like that, but my circumstances were different from hers. I started out powerful before losing everything, and she started out with nothing before gaining everything and losing the dark part. " Sunset... I did tell you that I had no friends before meeting you and the others, right?" Twilight asked.

" You did mention something about it briefly."

" All I had at Crystal Prep as a 'friend' was Spike. While he couldn't talk back at the time, he understood everything I said. If not for his presence, I'd probably be seeking therapy right about now. It's actually pretty funny how I managed to keep him with me while I was there." Twilight said.

" What do you mean?"

" Principal Cinch is highly allergic to dogs, so I had to keep Spike inside of my lab while I was at class. Because of my academic status at Crystal Prep, no one was allowed to enter unless they had special permission from me. Only Dean Cadence ever had that privilege. She made me feel appreciated, while everyone else treated me like I was beneath them. If not for her support and understanding, I'd have cracked under the pressure long ago." Twilight answered.

The more I heard about the Crystal Prep students behaving like bullies who only cared about themselves, the more it made me realize that I used to be just like them. They wanted to be praised for their accomplishments and wouldn't take anything less. That was exactly my way of thinking before friendship entered my life. In those days, I wanted to be recognized by Princess Celestia as worthy to become a princess. I didn't care about anything else other than reaching the status of alicorn. I went above and beyond what was expected of me, yet she denied me because I lacked humility. She made the right call, obviously, as I didn't understand what it meant until I learned through my friends. Back then, I was irate over being deemed good but not perfect.

I couldn't blame the students of Crystal Prep for the way they acted. Their school encouraged them to strive for perfection at the cost of their humanity. Principal Cinch never cared for any emotional sentimentality, as all that did was make her students weak. Anything deemed a detriment meant they would never achieve success and would become nothing but a failed student, their dream shattered to pieces for wanting to display emotions. They, like me, would walk down a path that could only end in pain. Students needed emotions in order to function properly, so teaching them into thinking they didn't need them showed how heartless Cinch was. I suppose she believed reputation was the only thing that was important, as having it meant everyone gave you respect. Reputation can be a blessing, but it can also be a curse if used incorrectly.

" Does Crystal Prep have a 'no pet' policy?" I asked.

" Yes, but I managed to get around that by saying Spike was the focus of my research project. I kept telling everyone, aside from Principal Cinch, that I had him in my lab in order to determine what kind of human-canine relations could be discovered. I made sure to make it fancy to give off the impression that it was serious." Twilight answered.

" Quite devious."

" Spike means everything to me, and I needed him to comfort me during those dark times."

" And now you have all of us to help you."

" Yes. Now, you mentioned that Rarity made those costumes, right?"

" She claimed that she made them all in her spare time, but I suspected the majority had been made within the last several months. There was no way she could've made several hundred costumes within the span of a couple of days." I answered. Twilight stared at me, eyes wide open upon hearing that remark. I started laughing in response before quickly pointing at the photo of myself and our friends wearing some of her costumes. " People always give me that expression whenever they hear that. When it comes to fashion, Rarity has no equal, but she does get carried away."

" What are you wearing?"

" A welder's mask and oven mitts."

" What!? That doesn't make any sense!"

" I know, but Rarity said her costumes were potential outfits we might need for the Friendship Games. We also had a discussion about the magic problem and how we needed to prevent it from plaguing the Games. Rainbow Dash wasn't taking it seriously, but I was, as I had been the one tasked with solving things." I said.


As I continued staring at the bookshelf, my thoughts shifted from the Friendship Games to Princess Twilight. She had always been punctual when it came to responding to my messages, and if she was ever late, she would apologize before explaining what caused her tardiness. For the first time since we both started writing messages, she didn't reply. I was worried something bad had happened to Her Highness.

I knew that being a princess in Equestria meant not living an easy life. There were so many different obligations you had to take care of any given day. There were ponies who needed guidance, meetings with diplomats, celebrations, problems to be solved, and some issues that were catered to a specific princess. If I had known what it really meant to be a princess, I wouldn't have fallen out with Princess Celestia. I only cared about the power associated with the title, and not the responsibilities attached to it.

I had considered going to Equestria in person to see if Princess Twilight was okay. She had told me that I could return whenever I wanted so long as the portal remained open, yet whenever the idea popped into my head, I hesitated out of a reminder of the past. I may have done great things in this world, but my efforts meant nothing in Equestria. Ponies only remembered me for stealing one of the Elements of Harmony and weakening Equestria's defences in the process. If I were to go back, I would be arrested almost instantly by the guards despite Twilight saying that I'd be under her protection. I couldn't go home... unless I wanted to be banished to the desolate wastes. Surely, Her Highness was alright, and I was just overreacting to her not answering my messages. She most likely got too exhausted from her presentation and needed a few days to recuperate.

That was my thought process, and I stuck with it, although I eventually learned the truth.

Later that night, I had the same nightmare that plagued me once before. Because Rainbow Dash ponied up unexpectedly, the nightmare returned stronger than ever. In it, the magic from Equestria reached a critical point before it unleashed itself across this world. Nothing could be done to stop it from corroding every last thing in its reach, and everyone blamed me for dooming them. I tried desperately to profess my innocence, but everyone I thought was my friend abandoned me. The damage had been done. I was left alone to succumb to dark thoughts I previously repressed and became a monster once again. I conquered this world without any trouble thanks to having all that magic around, yet the humans chose to abandon this world. They went through the portal into Equestria, and it became oversaturated with new faces. Both worlds were destroyed by a combination of my own guilt and the magic's inability to be restrained. It was a nightmare I wish I never had, yet I knew that it was a sign that it could become a reality should my efforts fail.

The next morning, I struggled to get myself out of my makeshift bed. My nightmare had left me sleep-deprived, but I needed to quickly get over it before Crystal Prep arrived. I needed to be in tip-top shape to play my part as a Wondercolt, but it wasn't easy for me. Even the most basic of actions proved difficult because of how little sleep I got. Combing my hair was a challenge, as I used a protractor, mistaking it for a comb. Eating a banana should have been easy, but I ate the peel rather than the actual fruit. Finally, getting dressed was easy, but tying up my boots wasn't, and I tripped several times before addressing the problem. When my friends noticed my horrible condition, they offered to get me something that could rekindle the flames within me with the most useful drink they could think of: coffee.

To help get my mind off of my problems, my friends suggested a little jam session in the music room. We had about an hour to kill before the Friendship Games' opening ceremony took place. We all assumed the Games would start within hours of our competition arriving, but it was merely the ceremony, followed by Crystal Prep's entourage getting settled down. The competition had been postponed until the next day, with a party to be held the night before. Why not get things started? It was due to Principal Cinch wanting to make sure her students were properly accommodated. Our jam session was exactly what I needed, and despite being told to keep our magic hidden, we ponied up anyway. That's just how we rolled in our group of best friends.

By the time we finished, Rainbow Dash decided to get the ball rolling. I wished she had started with something else, though.

" I hope the Friendship Games have a music competition, because we would totally rock it!" Rainbow Dash said, striking a chord on her electric guitar.

" Now why did you have to go and say that?" I asked.

" You know how awesome we are as the Rainbooms! Yeah, we didn't exactly win the Battle of the Bands, but we beat out everyone else! Besides, everything can be considered an event for the Games! So, my idea is totally possible. Anything that can give us an advantage against Crystal Prep is a good one." Rainbow Dash answered.

" I've no complaints about you saying how good we are." I said.

" Okay, then what's the problem?"

" Seriously!? You really don't see the issue?"

" We got the skills in music, so why not flaunt them?" Rainbow Dash asked. I was so tempted to smack her upside the head, but I suspected she was only having fun at my expense. She knew that our magic came forth whenever we played music, so why would she make such a suggestion knowing what we--namely me--must do to ensure that CHS isn't accused of cheating. " Hey... I know that we can't use our special talents during the competition, but you need to lighten up, Sunset. Everything is gonna be sweet when we finally kick Crystal Prep to the curb. Still, it'd be awesome to have a music competition. I doubt any of the Shadowbolts know a thing about music." Rainbow sounded pretty sure of herself, indicating that her ego was kicking about, but she needed to take things more seriously.

" Reckon you're boastin' us to being a lot better than we think." Applejack said, propping her bass up against its stand before walking over.

" Of course we're as good as we say."

" Just because Crystal Prep focuses on studies doesn't mean none of them ain't got any music experience. I'm sure they've got a music program over there like we do here, or they practice on their own free time." Applejack said.

" I agree with Applejack." I began, sitting down on a nearby chair. " They probably have all kinds of afterschool activities that give them the opportunity to further expand their own skills. From what we've heard about them, they are encouraged to do everything possible to increase their intellects. I don't know if their principal would approve of some of the more modern methods, but if she thinks it would be beneficial, then she'd force them to go for it."

" We've worked really hard to get better. Doesn't that count for anything?" Rainbow Dash asked.

" It does, but I think we need to be realistic about it. Crystal Prep has been winning competitions all over the city for as long as anyone can remember. They've only lost a few times durin' that same time span, yet their dominance is somethin' to be both admired and feared. To them, winnin' is in their blood." Applejack answered.

" Beating them would really raise spirits."

" You mean, if we can beat 'em."

" And why wouldn't we?"

" You've read the yearbooks after our school's previous failings."

" Pfft! That means nothing!" Rainbow Dash said. Despite Applejack and I telling her the honest truth, she refused to listen to it. In her head, CHS was on equal footing with our rivals at Crystal Prep, yet she didn't realize that most of the Wondercolts still had second thoughts about competing. It was seen as a lost cause for many of us. CHS was the underdog by a large margin. Rainbow was the one student who kept the team from falling apart. Her optimism acted like a source of energy we needed to do our very best. " Look! I know they have more resources at their disposal, but that doesn't mean they're gonna win. Heck! They could have the best things handed to them on a silver platter, and it still wouldn't give them success."

" If y'all are trying to give us another pep talk, don't bother." Applejack said.

" I'm not!"

" All we can do is our very best, Rainbow Dash. While you don't like the idea of CHS losing again, if we give it our best shot, we can be satisfied that we gave them a slight challenge before they wiped the floor with us." I said.

" Winning would be better."

" I think all of CHS would be mighty happy if that were to happen, but we've gotta face reality." Applejack said.

" Maybe, but that doesn't mean I have to like it. Anyway, I still want a music competition."

" You really did forget, didn't you?" I asked.

" No, I didn't! I just want a music competition as one of the events."

" Um, we're supposed to keep magic out of the Friendship Games, remember?" I asked. Rainbow Dash scoffed in response and walked off to put away her guitar in its case. I glared at her with a stare that could kill. Her arrogance annoyed me, yet I refrained from doing something I might regret. She knew what was at stake yet felt like it didn't concern her, as the task of keeping the magic in check fell onto me. I slapped my forehead amidst mumbling under my breath.

" Easier said than done, darling." Rarity said. She had since put away her keytar and was focusing on adjusting her eyelashes, using her compact mirror to see. I wasn't surprised that she was focusing on her looks, but then, that was something Rarity considered important. The rest of us knew not to question such actions.

" What do you mean?" I asked.

" I'm sure in Equestria, magic does whatever you want. But..."

" This isn't Equestria."

" Oh, I didn't mean to imply that you still longed for your world." Rarity said. I had no idea what made her think of that, but she was a lot closer than I wanted her and the rest of my friends to be regarding my future plans. I wanted to stay here, but at the same time, Equestria beckoned me to go home, despite the punishment that awaited me. It was a very complicated problem that threatened to pull me in multiple directions. " But, was I right in saying that you could use magic however you wanted?" Rarity asked.

" The more powerful you are, the more control you have." I answered.

" That must be simply divine!"

" Yeah. It's proven incredibly useful in all kinds of situations. Sometimes, I think we unicorns rely a little too much on our magic. We should try to use our other skills to develop them further and eventually wean ourselves away from magic." I said. What was I even saying at that point? I didn't know, but I had to say something that wouldn't make them suspect anything was wrong with me. If they knew what I was going through, they'd try to convince me to stay in this world. Living among humans had been a worthwhile experience, yet I did miss romping around the fields alongside my fellow ponies. Between humans and ponies, it was the latter that held a much higher place in my heart, yet the former also had its place in there. " I wouldn't completely stop using magic, though, otherwise I wouldn't be a unicorn anymore." I said.

" Can you imagine what one could do if they had access to magic full-time?" Rarity asked.

" Um, I already have, remember?"

" Oh yes! Quite right! But, I meant that for the rest of us, darling. We'd be able to do so much if our magic were more readily accessible."

" No point in gettin' your britches in a knot." Applejack said.

" How droll of you to say it like that."

" Sunset knows more about magic than the rest of us, so she knows what can happen if we were to become too dependant on it. Besides, when it comes to any magical problems, she can figure 'em out lickety split." Applejack said.

" And while Sunset works on keeping the magic out of the games, I've been working on what to put in!" Rarity said. She started giggling, yet Applejack simply raised her eyebrow. She always did that whenever she doubted anything anyone said or did. I'm not sure why Rarity had to remind me that I was the one who had to solve the magic problem. Rainbow Dash, I could understand, but not someone like Rarity.

" Rarity, what'd you go an' do?" Applejack asked.

" Oh, come, now! You most certainly know what I have done."

" With you, it could be just about anythin'."

" Don't be so absurd, Applejack. My speciality is making people look good, and that involves using costumes." Rarity answered. She put her compact mirror away and walked over to a corner of the music room that contained six or seven racks. I actually thought they were being used to store smaller instruments, but when Rarity brought them all over in a matter of seconds, we were all pretty surprised with what she wanted to present.

Each rack must have had at least thirty different costumes on them, ranging from the very simple to the overly complex. I knew she loved showing off new designs, but this was completely ridiculous. There was enough there for at least one hundred people--and then some--yet I was also curious as to how Rarity got them all in here without anyone noticing. I'd say this borderlined on Pinkie Pie levels of absurdity, but this wasn't the first time she had produced a rack of costumes from some unknown place. " Well, I had a little time on my hands, and since we don't know what the Friendship Games' events are, I made a few options for uniforms!" Rarity said.

" A few options!?" Rainbow Dash exclaimed.

" Did I go overboard?"

" What do you think!?"

" I'll admit that some of my designs weren't my best work, but most are simply amazing and should make you stand out against Crystal Prep."

" We have official uniforms, remember? We got them through the fundraiser?"

" Yes, but think about it, Rainbow Dash. Why wear an ordinary sporting outfit when you can wear one of my own creations?" Rarity said. She picked a random costume off of the nearest rack, looked at it for a brief moment, and slipped it over Rainbow's head. In an instant, the costume--a soccer uniform--was on her, just like what happened when Pinkie put that bodysuit on me. Was Rarity taking lessons from Pinkie on how to defy reality? " Yes. Yes! A perfect fit! You'll definitely be the best player on the field, both in skill and fashion sense, should one of the events be soccer related."

" You really didn't have to do that." Rainbow Dash said, looking uneasy over what just happened.

" I know."

" No, you really didn't have to." Applejack said.

" I know!"

" You're not gonna let us leave until we try out some of your designs, are you?"

" No need to worry so much, Applejack. This will only take, what, ten minutes at the most? Besides, most of these designs are still in the development process, so it's not like I'll be asking you to try out dozens of them. I'd say more like three costumes for each of you." Rarity answered. She started giggling up a storm before turning around and walking over to another rack. The rest of us looked at each other with concern. What had we gotten ourselves into? We all knew how much Rarity's costumes meant to her. We couldn't just walk out of there without breaking her heart. What kind of friends would do that?

I had to admit that she provided a lot of varieties. Back in Equestria, a lot of these designs weren't possible due to ponies walking around on four hooves instead of two legs like a human. We still had ponies dedicated to fashion, though, with some truly standing out among their peers. If Rarity really wanted to, she could become the greatest fashion designer Canterlot had ever known. Or, maybe even the world, if she were to go that far with her work. In any case, this whole thing had relieved me of all that stress. Sure, I still had a small amount on my mind, but that related to picking out the right outfit and not having Rarity choose something she thought would work better.

That's when I heard the sound of several buses pulling up to the sidewalk outside on the front lawn. I looked out of a nearby window and saw four buses, each bearing the colours and insignia of Crystal Prep. Our competition had finally arrived, and it made me wonder if that person was among the students. I still had doubts over Rainbow's claim that they were from the academy, but then, I didn't have any proof to say that they weren't. From what I could see from this distance, Principal Celestia was talking to someone who looked bored just standing there. Was that Principal Cinch, the one I overheard Celestia and Luna talk about? She seemed like an ordinary person, but appearances were often deceptive.

The opportunity to see what kind of person she was came later, but at that moment, Cinch didn't strike me as anything special.


" I can't believe Rainbow Dash would tease you like that." Twilight said.

" She didn't mean to test my patience. She often says things without taking the consequences into consideration." I said.

" Sounds like she needs to improve."

" No point in trying to change her. That's just the kind of person Rainbow really is."

" At least you weren't the only one who got annoyed by her antics. Applejack certainly didn't mince words when she responded to Rainbow's boasts that CHS was going to defeat Crystal Prep." Twilight said. Among out friends, Applejack was the one who never held back under any circumstances. If something needed to be said, she would step up and say it regardless of what it might do to her reputation. It felt reassuring knowing that she was always ready to say what was on her mind, yet at times she went overboard and actually could've made situations less problematic had she toned down her opinion. Most of the time, though, it never became an issue. " You know, I'm still surprised that Rarity had so many costumes. Was it true that most of them weren't finished?"

" I'd say there was about close to one hundred and thirty six costumes, and only twenty of them were considered wearable in her eyes." I answered.

" Why even bother showing incomplete outfits?"

" Rarity not only liked to show the quality of her fashion designs, but also the quantity. Someone in her line of work always needed to make a good impression, and what better way than to show off a combination of finished and work-in-progress products to give customers an idea as to what she was capable of?" I answered.

" Any exotic costumes?"

" I wouldn't go that far, but she did have things you normally wouldn't see." I answered. I pointed at the photo that depicted our friends and me in our costumes, and Twilight scooted over to see just what we were wearing. I had already told her that I was wearing a welder's mask and oven mitts. My costume was a mixture of different things I picked at random, and they all somehow meshed well together, despite my lack of fashion sense--I never cared about fashion.

Fluttershy was wearing a hockey goalie's uniform complete with helmet and pads, and her cutie mark was prominently featured on the front of the uniform, the pads, and the helmet. Did that mean Rarity believed Fluttershy had a future as an athlete?

Rainbow Dash wore, without a doubt, the funniest costume. At least, it was funny to me. She was wearing a uniform that screamed authority, yet the hat proved difficult to pin down exactly what authority she represented. " Rarity told me that Rainbow was dressed up as a 'bobby', a fancy term for a police officer seen in England. I had no idea what either of those words meant, so she quickly explained it to me. I had prided myself on learning everything about this world, yet it turned out that I had only really focused on Canterlot and this side of the globe. There was so much more knowledge to learn." I said.

" Maybe you should take more history or social studies courses?" Twilight suggested.

" Yeah. That's not a bad idea."

" Okay, then what is Applejack wearing?"

" She's wearing a lacrosse outfit complete with the helmet and glove they use to scoop up the ball." I answered. I recall how Applejack felt uncomfortable wearing her costume, not because of whether or not she enjoyed playing sports but because the shirt didn't quite fit her. It was a little too short around the waist and bore her midriff. Rarity tucked the shirt in, thinking it wasn't a problem, yet Applejack struggled to keep it in.

Pinkie Pie's costume didn't follow the athletic pattern both Applejack and Fluttershy wore. Instead, she wore what looked to be farmer's garb, but not the kind I've seen the Apple Family wear around Sweet Apple Acres. Maybe Pinkie wanted to go really rustic rather than more contemporary. " You must give Rarity credit for being creative with her designs, yet you do have to wonder if they served any purpose." I said.

" What do you mean?" Twilight asked.

" Since we had no idea what the Friendship Games' events were going to be, only a few of her costumes would be considered appropriate attire. The rest of them would be largely ignored, so you'd have to question why she made so many." I answered.

" Did you ask that question?"

" No, Applejack did, yet Rarity didn't see it as a problem."

" That's a relief."

" To Rarity, she was expressing her generosity by spending time with us while showcasing her passion."

" And is that..."

" Yes."

" My pendant absorbed her magic because of what she had done for all of you. I wish that I'd had the foresight to know what was going on when I was tracking you--and essentially, the source of the energy--down. You see, my pendant was also designed to detect foreign energy and track it down through radar. The closer I got to the energy, the stronger the signal became. It wasn't perfect, though; it did have some glitches I never found the time to fix." Twilight said.

" What kind of glitches?"

" It didn't know when to stop absorbing magic, for one thing, and the radar wasn't entirely accurate. I was just lucky that I happened to be going by the music room, but I guess the same couldn't be said for Rarity." Twilight answered.

" If she hadn't ponied up, then our first meeting would have been on slightly different terms. Before you entered the music room, we were questioning why Rarity had so much energy given the vast number of costumes she showcased. But when you walked through that door, I actually believed that Princess Twilight herself had returned." I said.


I continued staring outside the window at Principal Cinch. Despite not being able to fully see the expression on her face, I could tell that she wasn't happy being at CHS. She probably thought being here was beneath her and was staying just to fulfill her part as a judge. I was curious as to how Principal Celestia was dealing with someone who went out of her way to make her feel miserable. She must have found it difficult talking to the likes of Cinch, yet she had no choice because of her duty as a principal. If I was in Celestia's shoes and speaking with Cinch, I'd be struggling to keep control of my temper. Everything I had heard about the principal of Crystal Prep made me angry.

Rarity noticed me and asked me to come on over and try out some costumes, but I remained steadfast in my resolve to watch what was going on for a while longer. The rest of my friends then walked over to the window and looked at what was happening. I could hear growls coming from under their breath, their bitter hatred towards the school's eternal rival echoing all around me. I felt pity towards the Crystal Prep students who had to endure being in a place that restricted freedom in the pursuit of perfection. Why did I have a reaction different from my friends? While I had been attending CHS for over three years, I still felt detached from my fellow students. There were certain customs that made no sense to me, so I couldn't understand the significance behind them. I didn't view Crystal Prep as an enemy but rather as a place that had different beliefs. Principal Cinch was the true enemy.

Once it became apparent that their growls were disturbing, I suggested to focus on trying out Rarity's costumes to get our mind off of the incoming guests. My friends agreed with my suggestion, yet they continued looking out the window until Rarity changed her stance and began handing us different outfits. We were thinking of picking something at random, but she wouldn't allow it; only she knew which costumes were finished and which were still being worked on. There was no point in trying to change her mind. Rarity was serious when it came to fashion. The rest of us saw it as just a hobby, yet she saw it as her livelihood.

It only took her a couple of minutes to choose ideal costumes for everyone. Except for me. I proved to be challenging, and after several failed attempts, Rarity simply told me to pick anything that appealed to me and simply go with it. I felt upset that she couldn't choose a costume that took advantage of my appearance, but I supposed that ponies had a different style compared with humans. My search through the racks of costumes was interesting. Most of what I saw wasn't all that appealing, yet a pair of oven mitts took my fancy. I've never had an interest in cooking, but I just couldn't turn my eyes away from them.

After about ten minutes, I had finished trying on what I thought was an ideal costume. The welder's mask didn't go well with the mitts, but both did compliment the snowboarder outfit. I was surprised that Rarity didn't freak out over my choices. If she hadn't been focused on helping the others, she would've been in a mad dash to find something that made me look presentable. Fluttershy was wearing a hockey goalie's uniform complete with pads and helmet that somehow featured her cutie mark on the pieces. Rainbow Dash looked like a security guard, based on her getup, yet Rarity told me that she was dressed as a bobby from England. I didn't know what she was talking about, but I wasn't about to question her knowledge of fashion. Applejack was wearing a lacrosse uniform but appeared to be struggling to keep her shirt tucked in. Finally, Pinkie wore what could've been a farmer's outfit, but not the kind I've come to know during my trips to Sweet Apple Acres.

" Uh, Rarity, these outfits are great, but why would you put so much time and effort into clothes we might not even wear?" Applejack asked. Rarity then dashed over to her and tucked in her shirt before dashing off again to put a hat on top of Rainbow Dash's head. After that, she dashed on over to make sure Pinkie was okay with her outfit. Applejack seemed miffed that she was being ignored, and I knew she would going to do something about it. " Rarity? Are y'all even listenin' to me?" The lack of an answer was enough to make her yell at the top of her lungs. " RARITY!!!!"

" Hmmm? Is something wrong?" Rarity asked.

" Did you hear what I said?"

" Oh, my, yes, but you didn't need to shout. I know not all of my outfits are going to be used in the competition, but you know how much I love making new designs. Why, I even have some dresses for us to wear during the party later this evening. I didn't bring them here, because I want them to be a surprise." Rarity answered.

" But you're overdoin' it by going with quantity along with quality. You're gonna exhaust yourself before the games even start."

" I highly doubt that, darling."

" If you keep up your current pace, you will."

" Oh, pff. Kch. Fff. Ts! Don't be silly, darling! Putting effort into clothes is what I live for, and spending time on my friends fills me with energy!

" Maybe so, but we need you to be at your best, otherwise we'll be a person short."

" We do have the substitutes who are ready to step up if one of us were to suddenly not be able to compete. Besides, I'm actually feeling pretty good. I'm not sure why, but I suddenly feel a strong surge coming from deep within me." Rarity said. That immediately caught my attention. That's what Rainbow Dash said before she ponied up, so did that mean Rarity was about to go through the same thing? I was hoping that Rainbow and me were just freak occurrences, but I turned out to be wrong. " I can feel the energy coming from within, and it doesn't want to be held down any longer. I must unleash it for everyone to see!"

She then was suddenly surrounded by purple energy, and before I could say anything, her pony ears and tail appeared, signalling her pony up. Why did this happen? I didn't recall her playing her keytar within the last couple of minutes, so the idea of a delayed reaction was completely shot down instantly.

First, I gained those phoenix wings. Then, Rainbow transformed when students joined in her song. And now, Rarity changed because of this. None of this made sense! Was the magic truly that unpredictable? I decided to ask Rarity a few questions in case she knew exactly what caused this.

" How are you feeling?" I asked.

" I certainly feel fine, darling, yet I don't know why I ponied up." Rarity answered.

" You said you felt a strong surge."

" It wanted to come forth, and so, I let it. Who am I to deny anything its urge?"

" Anything else you want to add?"

" Not at the moment, yet I do feel like something else is happening."

" What do you mean?"

" It feels like my magic is being pulled away." Rarity answered. I thought she was having a bit of fun, but I should've realized that Rarity would never resort to child-like behaviour no matter what. She was much too professional to even consider doing something like that.

Out of the corner of my eye, I did notice that Rarity's magical aura was suddenly leaving the room. I thought it was just her magic wanting to escape and decided not to pursue the matter any further. I know now that my oversight was going to come back to haunt me much later when things spiralled out of control. In my mind at that time, I assumed the magic was acting of its own accord, given how it never did the same thing more than once. My friends didn't pay attention to Rarity's magic flowing out of the room and instead were fixated on seeing our friend having transformed of her own volition.

Her answers to my questions didn't provide any further clues, so I was still stumped with trying to come up with a solution to the magic problem. Two of my friends, along with myself, had experienced a change in our magic. I thought it was over, but the others would eventually have their own experiences. Eventually, Rarity changed back to normal before dropping to the ground and looking incredibly tired. Was magic capable of leaving people weak? No, I didn't believe so. Magic did require a lot of concentration, but then, exhaustion happened by doing too much all at once without taking a break.

" Are you alright?" I asked.

" I just feel so exhausted." Rarity answered.

" Maybe we should stop with this costume fitting so that you can rest."

" Nonsense! I can keep going for as long as necessary." Rarity said. She tried to get back onto her feet, only to stumble at the last moment and fall back down. Luckily, Applejack caught her just in time. " Maybe stopping isn't a bad idea, after all. You were right, Applejack. Now that you mention it, I suppose I could do with a tiny break."

" I told you." Applejack said.

" Does anyone else hear the sounds of footsteps coming from outside?" I asked.

" Might be one of the janitors comin' by on their way to clean up somethin'."

" Yeah, I guess you're right. It's not like someone is going to walk through those doors and further complicate things." I said. I knew I shouldn't have said that. I believe that I cursed myself by saying those exact words. The doors to the music room opened, and someone entered whose face was lowered down. They were wearing a fancy-looking uniform that screamed "stuck-up", but I wasn't about to judge on that merit alone. What caught my attention was the strange pendant they had around their neck. It didn't resemble any typical piece of custom jewelry, yet something felt familiar about it. I didn't know it at the time, but I had seen a different version two days ago. The person then closed the pendant and looked up at us, and our eyes opened wide with surprise.

" Twilight!?" We all exclaimed.

" Uh, yes?"

I couldn't believe it! Princess Twilight had decided to pay us a visit, after all! Yet, something deep inside was telling me that something was wrong. Why didn't she respond to any of my previous messages? Why was she wearing a much different outfit compared to what she wore before? Why didn't she recognize us straight away instead of looking all confused? These questions and more plagued my mind, yet I ignored them. I was in the moment where happiness could be felt all across my body. My mentor and friend was with us, and that meant she could assist me with solving the magic problem, and knowing Rainbow Dash, she'd want to see if Her Highness could be substituted into the Wondercolts before the Games started tomorrow.

" Well, I'll be. You shoulda told us you were comin'." Applejack said.

" Huh? You were expecting me?" Twilight asked.

" 'Course we were, sugarcube. It's been a long time since you last came here."

" What are you talking about?"

" Darling, those glasses. What are you wearing? It's so...severe." Rarity said.

" My glasses!? What's wrong with them?" Twilight asked.

" Why, nothing at all, except why wear such an old-fashioned pair?"

" Because I like them. As for my uniform..."

" Your uniform for what?" Fluttershy asked.

" For... Crystal Prep." Twilight answered.

Wait! Did Her Highness just say Crystal Prep? That was the rival school who had just arrived to compete in the Friendship Games. Despite not actually registering as a student, she was a proud member of CHS based on her previous accomplishments. What in the world was going on? Had she been living a lie to us all this time? Was the mentor and friend I had come to depend upon for so much false? Before I knew the truth behind this madness, that's what I believed was the truth. If only I had paid attention to what my mind told me. It was blatantly obvious that something was amiss. Yet, this person, this Twilight Sparkle, was the spitting image of Her Highness, aside from the different clothes and having her hair in a different style. Even my friends were confused by her responses, yet they continued to believe that she was our friend.

One thought that went through my mind involved the presentation she had given. Did Princess Twilight suffer a nervous breakdown and then secretly come here, thinking that she was a student of Crystal Prep? I didn't have any proof of my claim, yet it was the only logical explanation that I could think of. The truth would become known to all of us within the next few minutes. A chance encounter with Principal Cinch, combined with Pinkie Pie addressing something she once mentioned to Her Highness long before I became their friend, would reveal all. It also allowed me the chance to see just what kind of person Cinch really was.


" I don't think I know anyone who is as obsessed with Principal Cinch as you were." Twilight said.

" I'd only heard about the things she did. When I saw her for the first time, she seemed like an ordinary person. I never imagined that someone who looked so calm and cold was capable of causing so much misery to everyone around her." I said.

" You were right about her being bored, though."

" I was?"

" Principal Cinch never liked going to other schools. She always viewed them as a waste of both taxpayers' money and the school board's treasury. If she had gotten her way, the other high schools across Canterlot would've been closed down and then demolished. Since she knew that her presence was needed for common courtesy, and because she had to play nice, she resigned herself to making an appearance. Usually, she asked Dean Cadance to go in her place, but for special occasions, she had to go." Twilight answered.

" It must not have been pleasant for her fellow principals, huh?"

" A lot of them, from what I've heard, always dread a visit from her. They can easily tolerate the arrogance of the students and other staff members of Crystal Prep, yet they never could stand Principal Cinch. That's why Dean Cadance wanted to do more for the academy despite her position. She wanted to let the city know that they weren't as bad as people believe, but it was difficult to convince them otherwise. You saw for yourself what Crystal Prep was like during the Friendship Games. Victory meant doing what was necessary, regardless of the cost." Twilight answered.

" Dean Cadance seemed pleasant compared to Cinch." I said.

" She did everything she could to make students feel appreciated in their environment, but she always had to conform to the decisions of Principal Cinch. She looked like she agreed with such choices, but deep down, that wasn't the case. In private, she always told me that her biggest fear was seeing Crystal Prep become isolated because of how the academy was being run. Perhaps the Friendship Games turning out like they did was a positive, after all." Twilight said.

From what I saw of her, Dean Cadance did seem very approachable and often played the part of a neutral party, wanting to make sure everyone was safe and enjoying the competition. To think that she had such a position of power within the hierarchy of Crystal Prep yet always had to listen to what Principal Cinch said and did. She wanted to say something but had to refrain herself in case she lost her job for being too critical. While she may have enjoyed helping her students, Cadance didn't really have any true power to make lasting decisions. Perhaps now, that opportunity has become available to her.

While Cinch will no doubt remain in charge of Crystal Prep, her students now see her as a heartless woman whose own reputation meant more than anything else. If the school board were to do something based on enough evidence, they could promote Cadance to the role of principal. Yet, that would mean Cinch losing the one job she must have held onto for many years. She may have been a monster, but she didn't deserve to be thrown out because she had a different way of thinking. Perhaps, she could slowly start to change her ways and transform her school into something that everyone outside of their demographic would be honoured to attend. Only Cinch could make that decision. No one else had the ability and position in the school.

" Do you think Dean Cadance could ever replace Cinch?" I asked.

" Maybe, but she'll likely do what she thinks is best for the school and not seek that position. She is likely to encourage Cinch into adopting some new changes in order to give off the right impression." Twilight answered.

" So long as change actually happens."

" Did you actually think of me as being 'stuck-up'?"

" It was the uniform."

" Yes, I can understand why you thought that. I never really did like it much, myself."

" It looked too formal."

" Crystal Prep is a private school, so wearing uniforms was mandatory."

" Makes sense."

" So what happened after Principal Cinch returned me to my classmates?"

" Principal Celestia was surprised that you looked the way you did, and the rest of us felt the exact same way. There was some confusion as to how you related to Her Highness, but we quickly figured out that you were from this world when Pinkie mentioned her little statement. Once we realized who you really were, I had quite the discussion with our friends. It could've gone better, but it needed to be done in order to figure out where to go from there." I answered.

PreviousChapters Next