• Published 20th Oct 2015
  • 5,393 Views, 310 Comments

The Other Journal - Ganondorf8



My name is Sunset Shimmer, and I wanted to speak to the human Twilight about a closely guarded secret. I have a journal... one that contains secrets... personal secrets about my life from past to present...secret feelings about my friends...

  • ...
17
 310
 5,393

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 59: Stranger

Day: Wednesday
Weather: Sunny
Time: 8:48am

With the embarrassment of the tryouts behind me, I thought I could focus on the magic problem. However, it proved too difficult for me to solve, and in the thralls of a mental breakdown, I contacted Princess Twilight. I needed to talk to her immediately. I revealed that I wanted to go back home. The magic had pushed my stress levels beyond where I could no longer take it, its unpredictable mien confounding my every waking moment. Her Highness encouraged me to keep on trying to understand it, but also gave me the opportunity to go back to Equestria whenever I wanted. Could I go back and leave everything I worked so hard on behind? I didn't know the answer. Two days before the Friendship Games began, I received an emergency text from Rainbow Dash that wasn't as serious as she lead us to believe. I had my own emergency to deal with. Someone came to CHS in order to investigate the statue. Could someone other than my friends know the secret the statue held?

The Other Journal
By Ganondorf8
February 29, 2016
Chapter 59: Stranger.

" Are you serious!? You never once figured out that I was the one investigating the Wondercolt statue?" Twilight asked.

" It never occurred to me that I was watching you." I answered.

" I thought I was being pretty obvious with my choice in clothes."

" Princess Twilight wore an outfit that fit in amongst the CHS students, yet you came along wearing a plain shirt with hoodie, pants, and shoes that looked out of place. I knew that you weren't a regular student, but I didn't recognize you at all." I said. It also didn't help that Twilight wore a pair of sunglasses to mask her identity, and her hoodie did cover up her hairstyle. I knew she was trying hard to remain incognito, yet was unaware that Princess Twilight, a near-exact duplicate, had attended CHS prior to her initial visit. If Twilight had chosen to sneak around in regular attire, someone would have stopped her, thinking she was someone she wasn't. No wonder this whole humans-resembling-ponies thing often got so confusing.

I could only imagine how difficult it was for Princess Twilight to differentiate between the two sets of individuals she knows. I wasn't so unlucky, since I only know a few ponies from Equestria. As for Twilight here, she still has trouble accepting the fact that she looks like Her Highness but with some slight differences. During and after her first meeting with Her Highness, and during the early stages of this meeting, Twilight referred to Her Highness as the "other Twilight", "other me", or simply "her". She felt like she was inferior and labelled Princess Twilight as such without really getting to understand the true scope of it all. Once we established that she was her own person and not just simply a human equivalent, she started calling her by her proper title. I guess one would feel that way if their other self was a princess in a magical land.

" I'm... I'm not sure what to say here." Twilight said.

" You never told me that was you who was observing the statue."

" Again, I thought it was obvious."

" What were you doing to the statue anyway?"

" I was trying to study its strange energy and perhaps find a way to contain it."

" Strange energy?"

" Well, I didn't know that it was magic. Ever since magic first appeared at CHS last year, I became curious and dedicated my studies into understanding what it was. I had to make sure no one found out about my little hobby, especially Principal Cinch. If she found out, she would have taken away the equipment Crystal Prep gave to me. As I mentioned before, much of my lab was supported by the academy." Twilight answered.

" Yes, as you stated."

" As the best student at Crystal Prep academically, I was under pressure to maintain the academy's reputation as the number one school in the district. If her best student suddenly was exposed for researching something most would describe as baseless fantasy, Principal Cinch would have been humiliated, and my career would be sunk. She uses her reputation to browbeat others into accepting her way of thinking. That's how she has managed to avoid getting into trouble with the school board over her more controversial decisions, like blackmailing one of her students." Twilight said.

This was a side of Twilight she had never mentioned before. All of this must have been difficult for her to keep bottled up inside, knowing that she could've easily exposed Principal Cinch for the manipulative women that she was. Twilight kept her opinions to herself out of respect and fear of Cinch and simply allowed herself to be intimidated into complete and total obedience. I suspect everyone else at Crystal Prep did the same thing in order to not suddenly find themselves kicked out for speaking up. I stated that Cinch was the reverse of me, and this new revelation only strengthens that conviction.

I had to wonder just how much influence Cinch really possesses. If it were strong enough, she could in theory have complete control of the school board. They would be nothing more than a puppet organization who appear to be carrying out decisions intended to improve schools. Even after being exposed, would Cinch still possess the same influence she had before? That depends on what the school board thinks. I don't know if she ever decided on proceeding with taking up the whole "CHS is cheating by using magic" excuse to the board. They might think her insane, and she deserves to be treated as such, but Cinch does deserve some slight sympathy. The magic wouldn't even be an issue had I not brought it here originally.

" So, what did you learn from your initial research?" I asked.

" After what happened last fall, I began to observe CHS from a safe distance. If I found anything that could help me uncover what was happening, I took it with me and pinned it to my own bulletin board. I had so many pieces of evidence collected that at times it was difficult to determine what was more valuable. Some examples of evidence include a poster of a guitar which I now know was to do with the Battle of the Bands, another poster that featured three tacos and a drink, pie charts, a photo of CHS looking at it from the front, and some graphs. All of these and more were connected using red string because everything was related." Twilight said.

" A poster of three tacos?" I asked.

" It came into contact with one of those Sirens." Twilight answered. I should've known that they were responsible for that, but I had no idea which of the three had a strong fascination towards tacos. I must admit that Twilight went through so much detail in trying to piece it all together. In a way, she was looking to solve the magic problem without even knowing that magic was the cause. She was also trying to solve the problem that had stumped me. " Even with all of that evidence, I needed more, and that involved coming to CHS to get a closer look at the portal. I had put together a device that was designed to track EM frequencies, yet what you saw was a prototype."

" You mean, your pendant wasn't always the way it was?" I asked.

" The original version was too clunky, so when I got back to Crystal Prep, I spent the evening taking it apart and reworking it until it became what you all saw me wear around my neck. I never knew that my desire to understand what was going on would end up causing so much trouble." Twilight answered.

" You should've stopped using the pendant."

" I know, but I didn't want to, because I was so determined to find out the truth."

" Knowledge is a dangerous thing to pursue."

" A harsh lesson I now fully understand."

" Why did you come to CHS that day in particular?" I asked. It occurred to me that I was starting to sound an awful lot like Twilight had been throughout the evening. She had been asking me questions about my past non-stop, making sure not to miss out on any details, and now I found myself doing the exact same thing. There was still much about her that I didn't know about, so perhaps this was a golden opportunity for me.

" It was two days before the Friendship Games. While I didn't know what Principal Cinch had in store for me until the following day, I assumed that I was going to be watching the Shadowbolts competing. Since Crystal Prep was going to be busy making final preparations, I thought it was ideal to see what my device could pick up. Your presence was unexpected, Sunset; I believed no one would be there when I arrived." Twilight answered.

" Well, expect me to ask some more questions as we continue onward." I said.

" Quite the reversal, isn't it?"

" Oh, you'll still have questions for me. Just because we interacted many times before, during, and after the Friendship Games doesn't mean you know everything. While I was trying to maintain a positive composure, underneath the surface, I was still dealing with personal problems that stemmed from the magic running wild. The Games' presence didn't do me any favours either, as I had to juggle my priorities." I answered.

" Sunset..."

" Anyway, before you arrived on that bus from the city, I was writing to Princess Twilight once again. I was curious as to how her presentation went and was still upset that I couldn't be there in person. I know it had only been two weeks since we saw one another, but I really wanted to have another chat like we had during the holidays." I said.


I was still upset over how Rainbow Dash had dragged me away from experiencing a delectable treat by sending an emergency text. It wasn't even an emergency! I thought something horrible had happened, which is why I ran to CHS as fast as my legs carried me. If I had known that all she wanted was a guitar string to replace the one that broke, I'd have ignored that text and focused on what I wanted at Sugarcube Corner. But no, I went all the way back to school and learned the truth. I really wanted her to know just how annoyed I really was, but I maintained control of my anger. I didn't want to lose my temper over something so trivial as a guitar string. There were some questions, even after the issue was resolved, that continued to torment me.

Was it a coincidence that Rainbow wanted a guitar string? Why did she ask all of us to come and help her? Aside from Applejack, I was the only one who used an instrument that utilized strings. AJ took care of her bass, so she wouldn't have a spare string on hand. Why not just ask me? Then again, why not wait until tomorrow to fix her guitar? I knew she desired to entertain the Crusaders, who had been sitting there for who knows how long, but the rest of us were busy with our own projects. Despite having gotten her ego under control, Rainbow still enjoyed testing our patience. With the Friendship Games in two days, she wanted to take her mind off of the impending competition.

During the last couple of weeks, those of us who made the team were subjected to a strict training regimen that Vice Principal Luna concocted. She believed that we needed to show Crystal Prep that we were serious about competing against them. There was only one problem with her plan: Since we had no idea what the events were going to be, she made us practice almost every possible activity that she could think of. When some of our teammates complained that she was training us incorrectly, she took offence and stated this is what the competition was most likely doing. I had actually asked Luna whether she knew what some of the events were, but her response was anything but pleasant. She felt frustrated over not being told anything about the potential events. She said that only her sister and Principal Cinch were privy to what we were going to do. I knew she would have that kind of reaction. It was plainly obvious.

Vice Principal Luna continued to have issues regarding how Principal Celestia was told certain things while she herself was left in the shadows. The two sisters were meant to be a team, yet too often, the one was favored over the other. Did I have any sympathy towards the younger sister? Perhaps, because I knew what it felt like to be left out, but she needed to refrain from speaking out inappropriately. She was the vice principal, so her actions reflected upon Principal Celestia just as much as those of the students and other members of staff.

Could she become something akin to Nightmare Moon? Princess Twilight had told me that story just after the holidays to refresh me on Equestrian history. In the story, Princess Luna grew jealous that her sister was shining brighter than her and transformed into a monster in her fit of envy. Princess Celestia used the Elements of Harmony to banish her sister to the moon, and she remained there for a thousand years.

I didn't know that Princess Luna returned to Equestria and to normal. I left roughly two years before that, so to me, the legend of Nightmare Moon was still just that: a legend designed to frighten ponies. While I don't think Vice Principal Luna would ever go as far as being corrupted, she should be careful with her choice of actions. After all, she had me to remind her about what can happen when you allowed hatred to consume your every thought.

That was enough thinking about not only the ancient past but the most recent past, as well. I still had aches all over my body from the training we received. Since we all committed towards making the Wondercolts, we had to endure physical pain in the process. Yet, my discomfort wasn't going to stop me writing a message to Princess Twilight. I knew it had only been two weeks since our private meeting at Sugarcube Corner, yet I was curious as to her latest adventures. She was my eyes and ears to knowing what was happening in Equestria. I still desired to go back and leave all this behind, but my commitments kept me in place. I had to work around that problem without offending my friends. They didn't know about my meeting with Her Highness, which I planned on keeping a secret until I was ready.

After spending a couple of moments thinking about what to write, an idea came to me, and I began writing it down in the magic journal.

Dear Princess Twilight,

I know it's only been a couple of weeks since we saw each other in person, but I still wanted to write a message to see how life was treating you in Equestria. I've been curious about how your presentation to Princess Celestia's School of Gifted Unicorns turned out. I've no doubt that you inspired not only experienced unicorns but also the up-and-comers who are only just starting out learning how to use their magic. Speaking of magic, did you figure out any cool new spells? You may be a princess, but surely you've had some free time to conjure up a new spell or two.

I never mentioned this next bit when I saw you, as I was focused on figuring out what to do with my life. Aside from the magic problem, things have been pretty quiet here at CHS since the holidays, a huge contrast from before. We still pony up when we play music, which Rainbow Dash just loves to show off. Yeah, she still has some remnants of her ego but has mellowed out a bit since those days. I still haven't quite grasped the magic problem and why it relates to us playing our instruments, but I haven't given up hope. I believe that I can still figure out an answer despite the odds being stacked against me.

My decision on whether or not to return to Equestria still remains undecided. I want to go back, but I have to stick to my commitments, so I'm taking it one step at a time. By the way, I'd love to hear what you think about the magic problem. Not sure if you discovered anything that has eluded me, but I still want to hear your opinion. That is, when you get a sec.

In two days, the Friendship Games begin. While I still don't understand all of the nuances behind it, it's sure to be an epic competition. The chances of CHS winning are slim, but we're going to try our best to perform a miracle. Anyway, I should get going, as I've lots to do to welcome Crystal Prep.

Hope to hear back from you real soon.

Your friend,

Sunset Shimmer

As I was writing my message to Her Highness, the bus that had been driving up to the school finally came to a stop. I didn't pay much attention to it, as I was more concerned with my message, yet it quickly drove away again, which made me take notice. Someone was standing there, and my first instinct told me that this wasn't a regular student. For one thing, this person was wearing a hoodie that covered their head. " Why would anyone want to wear a hoodie in this warm weather? Whoever that is must really not like the sun. They're gonna get heatstroke in that." I said to myself before looking back down at my journal. I quickly looked back up at this person out of curiosity, who was still standing there and doing nothing. I had no reason to suspect anything was amiss. It could have been a new student who wanted to transfer here, or a random person looking for handouts, a common trend I've been noticing for several months.

" Why haven't they moved yet? I don't believe they've spotted me sitting over here. If they have, I must be intimidating them into pretending that they don't exist. I know I've never seen anyone like that around here, so why am I suddenly fixated on them? I should just stick to my own business and leave it at that." I said to myself. I lowered my head down again and continued writing in my journal. While my eyes weren't paying attention to that person, the same couldn't be said about my ears.

The sound of a device suddenly broke the silence, but I assumed it was a malfunction in my cellphone. It had been acting up in the last couple of days, no thanks to Pinkie accidentally throwing that medicine ball that conveniently slammed into my locker. I don't know how she managed to pull that off, but it was infuriating to know that my phone got hit by the locker door when it got dented from the impact of the medicine ball. It's not like I could afford to fix it, given how I didn't earn much money from the clubs I'm a part of. I took my phone out of my pocket and shook it a little to see if it was glitchy. Nothing sounded out of place, although the keyboard had some loose keys.

" Hmmm... It doesn't sound like my phone is making that weird noise, so what else could be doing it?" I asked myself. In the meantime, I hadn't taken notice of the person who got off the bus. They had since walked toward the Wondercolt statue while holding some kind of weird device that looked like something from a science fiction program. They then arrived and began walking around the statue's base. I had since looked up again, because their shadow went across my journal, yet I didn't know what to make of it. Was it one of those contractors who came by to start constructing whatever they were doing out in the field? No. They didn't wear any uniform to indicate that. That's when I noticed the device for the first time. It surely looked sophisticated, and that lead me to think this person was conducting research. If that were the case, why wear something so odd? " Why do I even care, though?" I asked myself.

Deciding to finally ignore them completely, I resumed writing, but I should have paid more attention right there and then. The person walked around the corner until their back was to me. My train of thought suddenly got interrupted again, but this time by a sound that shook me to my core. I looked up and saw that my visitor had placed their hand on the statue, and it was giving off a magical ripple. " No! That's the portal to Equestria! How did they know exactly where it was? They can't walk through; that would just be trouble." I said to myself. My heart was beating frantically with sweat pouring down the sides of my face. I had to do something before it was too late.

" Hey!" I called out, prompting the person to suddenly turn towards me. They appeared shocked that I was talking to them, but I kept my distance until I could come up with a proper course of action. I also got a better look at the device they were holding. It was reacting to the portal like it were drawn towards the magic coming from it. Was it capable of detecting magic? If so, then why didn't it react to me? I had magic. Unless, the device focused on a specific kind of magic. " What are you doing?" I asked. The person began to shiver on the spot before taking a few steps backward. " No need to be afraid of me. I promise that I'm not going to hurt you. I just want to know what you're doing."

The person said nothing.

" Can you talk?"

The person continued giving me the silent treatment.

" No need to be silent for my sake."

" I... I..."

" Oh! So you can talk?"

" Why... Why is this...?"

" I'm not sure what that device is for, but I suggest you step away from the statue right now. The students of CHS are very protective of the statue that represents their school pride and will take offence to anyone messing around with it." I answered. I pretended to be oblivious about what the statue truly was. I didn't want anyone outside of my group of friends to know that going through the portal would lead to a world filled with pastel-coloured ponies. I took a few steps forward in hopes of making the person back away from the statue, but I wasn't expecting them to suddenly turn around and run towards the road. I ran after them in the hopes of getting some answers. " Wait! Stop!" I shouted, but my efforts were in vain, as they were much faster than I was, so catching up proved impossible. This was further proven when another bus came along on the other side of the road.

They ran across the street and performed a bit of parkour--it was very impressive for having been done on the spot--to fly around a street lamp and onto the bus. It began pulling away a few seconds later. I ran across the road until I stopped, knowing the futility of continuing. Whoever they were, I had no chance of catching them. What were they were doing to the statue?

Was it possible that they knew something about magic? No one beyond CHS was even aware that this world contained magic, but perhaps one of the students said something that caught the attention of the one who was just here. I couldn't blame them, as they most likely didn't know whether someone was listening on their conversation. I had hoped things would remain peaceful, especially with the Friendship Games just around the corner, but it seemed that peace had just been shattered. It was too late to rally my friends into action, and they were too busy performing to consider what I had experienced. I planned on telling them about this the next day, yet I needed to calm my nerves. Since I still had some time, I decided to go to Sugarcube Corner and indulge myself as originally planned.

Little did I know that I hadn't seen the last of that person.


" I didn't mean to make you worry like that." Twilight said.

" The portal to Equestria was always open, so I had to make sure no one accidentally walked through it. I know Princess Twilight said that she would make sure that it was closed on her end, but she often forgot about it. That's what can happen when you're a princess: You tend to forget about the small things." I said.

" Even though you forced me to run away before I could fully understand the nature of the magic--I don't blame you for taking such precautions--I still managed to collect sufficient data to modify my device into the pendant that caused so much trouble. My reason for going to CHS was to conduct a field test. I had all that evidence, yet it meant nothing unless I experienced it for myself." Twilight said.

" Did you ever have a plan for dealing with the magic your pendant absorbed?" I asked.

" It involved containing it and studying it to see what kind of properties it possessed. When I finished getting all the information that I required, my aim was to expose the magic to powerful radio-magnetic waves. That would have caused it to become distorted until fading away into nothing." Twilight answered. Her method did have a gaping hole in it, but one I wasn't going to criticize her for it. After all, she didn't know that her device had detected magic. She thought it was some kind of foreign energy and believed it could be dissipated in an appropriate manner. Perhaps it was fortunate that Twilight didn't succeed in her plan. Our magic was vital to our way of life, and it enabled us to protect this world from threats that came over from Equestria.

In a twisted fashion, I suppose I had Principal Cinch to thank. She was the one who goaded Twilight into opening up her pendant and releasing all of the magic she had been absorbing from us. It prevented her from getting rid of it, but it also caused her to become a demon obsessed with wanting more knowledge. Still, I was careless by allowing Twilight to snoop around the portal without any proper supervision. Had I been more cautious, she wouldn't have taken steps to alter her device, and the conclusion to the Friendship Games wouldn't have happened like it did. Once again, my own actions proved dangerous for this world.

" I'm also curious about something else." I said.

" What's that?"

" You said that Principal Cinch coerced you into competing for Crystal Prep by using your application, right? I'm having doubts believing that she could've orchestrated that on her own. She must have had some kind of help to motivate you." I answered.

" Never underestimate someone like Principal Cinch. She has plenty of resources on her side, even ones that only she is privy to. But, she did have help in the form of my brother, who was a previous winner in the Friendship Games. I was told that I had to compete to represent the school, and Shining Armour was adamant about it. I was his little sister, after all, and he believed he was helping me do what was best for the school and our family. Our father also competed in the Games, along with our grandfather, so we had built quite the reputation in our family." Twilight said.

" But you didn't want to follow that tradition, did you?"

" Not even close. I wanted to focus on my studies, as I desired to have the best education ever, yet my brother and Principal Cinch had other plans. As you already figured out, Sunset, I joined the Shadowbolts, much to my displeasure." Twilight answered.

I never knew Twilight had any siblings. Did that mean Her Highness also had them? I never did ask who she was related to in my Friendship Reports, so perhaps that was something to remember for the future. I felt bad at how Twilight had no freedom regarding her choice of whether or not to compete. A true sibling would be on the side with their family, not with the cold, emotionless spectre of her family's tradition hovering over her.

I wanted to comfort Twilight, but I held back in case I was overstepping my boundaries. She was like me in that she felt inferior to her sibling, yet I sensed that she still cared deeply about him, according to the tone in her voice. That difference between us was evident. I never forgave my siblings for taking my parents' attention away from me. If I suddenly ran into them somewhere in Equestria, and they asked for forgiveness, I'd just ignore them and move on. They were dead to me. Twilight noticed that I had gotten distant and leaned closer to me, but stopped short of doing what I assumed she was thinking. " I still can't believe that you never figured out that I was the one snooping around."

" Even after meeting you in person, I didn't know you came to CHS until you told me." I said.

" What did you say to our friends about me?"

" I had to warn them that someone was messing around with the statue. The six of us had to make sure that no one knew that the statue contained magic, and this was especially true for me. I brought magic into this world, so I felt truly obligated in keeping Equestria safe from a possible human invasion." I answered.


Even after getting my fill at Sugarcube Corner, I couldn't savour the taste of that new delectable treat. How could I when I knew someone was snooping around the statue and discovered the secret it contained? I most likely prevented them from learning too much about the portal, but they still got away before I could confront them. If news were to spread that a statue in front of a local high school lead to another world, there would be scientists of all kinds swarming over CHS within days. There would even be paranormal researchers, among other groups, wanting a piece of the action. I could've sent a message to Her Highness to ask her to close the portal on her end, but I didn't want to bother her. She was probably exhausted from her presentation and needed some time to herself.

That night, I had trouble sleeping because of a nightmare. In it, the person who was snooping around the statue approached it once again, and this time I wasn't there to prevent them from accidentally walking through. They did exactly that and wound up in Equestria, although they came out into a large open field instead of Princess Twilight's castle, which is where the portal truly connected to. Upon seeing a new world all around them, the person raised their arms and began laughing maniacally before taking out that device and using it to analyze what made Equestria the way it was. Ponies from across the land came to stop them but were powerless against that device. Even Princess Celestia couldn't stand against them, and I woke up when she collapsed to the ground upon being defeated. I couldn't allow my world to be threatened by a foreign invader.

The next morning, my friends had gathered in the library to discuss the Friendship Games, but when I walked onto the scene from my place of residence--a mere eight bookshelves away--they were shocked at my complexion. I knew what I looked like and didn't want them to point it out, but Rarity did so any way because she thought my look marred my beauty or something like that.

" Sunset! Whatever is the matter with you? You look simply ragged!" Rarity said.

" I didn't sleep well last night." I said.

" Did you have a scary dream?" Fluttershy asked.

" More like a real-life nightmare that could have ramifications on the future of Equestria." I answered.

" Now calm down, sugarcube! Why don't y'all take a deep breath before explainin' what's gotten you so riled up." Applejack suggested. I could always rely on her to be the voice of reason for our group, even when she too had her own issues that plagued her. I tried taking deep breaths, but I quickly started hiccupping, leading to Fluttershy patting my back to help relieve them. Then I tried pacing back and forth in hopes of calming down, but that didn't do me any good, either. I had considered taking a paper bag and breathing into it, but Applejack quickly placed her hands on my shoulders, and looked me straight in the eye. " Maybe you should just come out and say it, Sunset. Relaxin' doesn't quite seem like your cup of tea."

" Girls, we have a problem." I announced.

" Tell me you don't want to quit before the Games! We all agreed to join the team and beat Crystal Prep for the first time since, well, ever." Rainbow Dash said.

" That's not even close to what the problem is." I said.

" Then out with it!"

" After you all went inside the other day, I wrote a message to Princess Twilight to see how she was doing. A bus went by the front of the school as they usually do, so I paid no attention to it and assumed things were normal. That's when I noticed someone standing there on the other side of the statue. I had no idea who they were, but I knew they weren't from CHS, as their clothing was unlike what is seen around here. They walked up to the statue and began using some weird device, like they were analyzing it, and my heart sank when the shimmer from the portal started to appear." I said.

My friends gasped in horror over what I had just told them. Since they knew that the Wondercolt statue also contained a portal to Equestria, this meant a great deal to them. I had the most to lose, as the portal lead to my home. They all started looking at one another before turning their attention towards me. I had often told them that no one on this side could go through and into Equestria. The ponies living there would react badly if something foreign appeared out of nowhere. While Princess Twilight and I go from ponies to humans and back again, it didn't mean that was true of all creatures. Spike, the assistant to Her Highness, goes from a dragon to a dog and back again, and I had no idea what if a human would actually turn into a pony if they cross the portal.

" Are you sure about this, Sunset?" Applejack asked.

" I know what I saw." I answered.

" What about that strange device?" Pinkie Pie asked.

" I'm not sure what it was supposed to do, but I knew it wasn't going to be good. All I know is that they were definitely doing something to the statue--or were going to, until I called out and caught their attention. Whoever they were simply turned and ran away from me. Naturally, I followed in hopes of finding out more, but they managed to get on a bus that happened to be coming along and were soon beyond my reach." I answered.

" Do you think they came through the portal from Equestria?" Fluttershy asked.

" No, I think I would've noticed that. Also, when I first saw them, they were standing on the pavement that runs by the front of the school. They'd have had to have come out of the portal and walk a short distance all while making footsteps that I could easily hear before getting over there. I think they were from over here, but I'm not sure where. I only lived in this world for over three years. There is still so much for me to learn." I answered.

" Well, that's a relief. The last thing we need is another magical so-and-so bent on world domination comin' over from Equestria." Applejack said before winking at me. She had since sat down and kicked back, and all I could do was smile at both her pose and suggestion. I was glad that this person had no connection to my world. CHS had already been through two magic-related problems. No one wanted to experience a third one, especially during the Friendship Games. That would be a disaster for not only us but for our opponents, as well, who were coming here the next day.

" Agreed. I have no interest in another fight against the powers of evil magic. The wear and tear on my wardrobe is just too much to keep up with." Rarity said.

" It might not be another instance of fightin' evil magic."

" Perhaps, but you can never be sure, darling."

" Can't argue with that."

" Still, a mysterious figure snooping around the portal? Don't you wanna know what they were up to?" I asked.

" I don't even want to guess." Fluttershy answered. She shuddered for a few moments before quickly calming herself by stroking the fur of her pet bunny Angel. While the rules stated that pets weren't allowed on school property, we all agreed not to tell anyone about it. Fluttershy was always timid over everything, and comforting an animal helped her to cope with the more stressful aspects of life at CHS. To think that at one time, I ridiculed her for having animals as friends. These days, I envied her for being able to communicate with them better than anyone else I knew.

" Well, you don't have to. Because I've totally figured out who it was!" Rainbow Dash announced, having come back from going around the corner, and holding a yearbook in her hand, likely from the section of the library that actually housed the many yearbooks of CHS. " It's plainly easy to know where this person came from just by eliminating everything until you've got a sweet answer you can be proud of.

" You sure you've got it all figured out?" Applejack asked.

" What's that supposed to mean?"

" Well, I reckon you have jumped to the wrong conclusions a bit too often, lately."

" Yeah, well, I know I'm definitely right about this one!"

" Ooh, ooh! A nighttime statue cleaner? A magical portal maintenance maintainer? A gardener!?" Pinkie Pie asked, thrusting two books into Rainbow Dash's face. I actually thought she was only joking around when she showed off those two books. I didn't think anyone had written a book about how to maintain a magical portal, but sure enough, Pinkie showed me the cover, and I was surprised. Not shocked, but surprised.

" I'm not going to even answer that." Rainbow Dash said, pushing Pinkie away by using her hand on the latter's face. " Seeing as how they got off a bus from the city and got back on a bus headed to the city, I'll bet they go to--"

" Crystal Prep!" Everyone else said.

" How can you be sure they're from the city?" I asked.

" Who else would come to CHS?" Rainbow Dash asked.

" Someone who might consider transferring here?"

" I know a lot of people in this part of Canterlot, and none of them acted like our mystery guest."

" But, from Crystal Prep?"

" Makes sense."

" Does it?"

" Yep. With the Friendship Games starting tomorrow, they'd totally try to prank us by defacing the Wondercolts statue." Rainbow Dash answered. Now she started to sound ridiculous to consider someone from another school coming here to act like a delinquent. The others showed their unity with her when they nodded their heads in agreement. I couldn't believe they agreed to such nonsense like that.

" Surely you're joking!" I said.

" As if! Crystal Prep have been doing that sort of thing to us for years."

" Even if that were true, why would anyone take a bus all the way from the city for that?"

" Because the Crystal Prep Shadowbolts are our biggest rivals?" Applejack asked.

" Just because both our schools go back a long way doesn't mean either side should resort to something so childish." I answered.

" Because that's just what the students at Crystal Prep would do." Rarity asked.

" Then we need to prove ourselves better than that." I answered.

" Because even though they beat us in everything--soccer, tennis, golf--they still have to gloat!" Rainbow Dash said. She then opened the yearbook and pushed it into my face to make sure that I saw what was there. On the first page was a group of CHS students lowering their heads in disappointment, while Crystal Prep students held up trophies, seemingly from a soccer tournament they clearly just won. I quickly figured out that they were Friendship Games trophies. Rainbow then flipped the page, and the same students appeared again. This time, the winners were holding tennis trophies, while the losers looked more dejected. She turned the page, and once again those same students were featured. Now the winners held golden golf clubs, and the losers were sprawled on the floor, weeping.

" That only proves what everyone has been saying about Crystal Prep winning all the time." I said.

" And here's the other proof!" Rainbow Dash shouted. She turned the page once more, and I received quite a shock. There was a photo of the Wondercolt statue, but it had been covered from top to bottom in a ridiculous costume, most likely done by Crystal Prep students after the previous games ended. The statue looked like a clown, and I wondered how they got those oversized shoes onto it? No way could they move a heavy object like the statue. " See? This is what CHS has had to put up with from Crystal Prep for years! We're not gonna let them walk all over us anymore! We're gonna beat them at their own game! Well? What do you have to say to that?" Rainbow Dash asked.

" Seems kinda silly to me." I answered.

" Silly!?" Everyone else asked.

" I can't believe you said that!" Applejack said.

" Oh my." Fluttershy added.

" Seeing the statue in that getup would get anyone riled up, but there's no need to get so worked up about it. Whoever did that proved themselves nothing more than children wanting attention by going with the lowest possible denominator. Believe me, I did this sort of thing all the time when I was a bully, and that right there is small compared to how creative I got." I said. My friends then looked at me angrily. Had I said something to offend them? Maybe, but I was correct about not stooping down to their level. Or, did they think my opinion changed regarding the Friendship Games? I was on board with competing, yet I still had doubts over whether it was even necessary.

" So, I guess you think the Friendship Games are silly, too?" Rainbow Dash asked.

" What!? I didn't say that, and you know it!"

" Then why'd you just call it silly, huh?"

" Not the Games, but this pointless rivalry."

" You want us to actually get along with them? Wow! I never thought I'd hear anyone say that around here."

" Why not?"

" Sunset, the students of Crystal Prep ain't never gonna change. They view themselves as high and mighty but don't really have a lick o' sense when it comes to the real world outside of their school. Every other school in the district has gotten sick and tired of them boastin' about their greatness. Heck! The entire school is like one big Rainbow Dash." Applejack answered.

" Hey!" Rainbow Dash shouted.

" You know I'm right.

" Don't use my name like that."

" Well, it's not like we'll be fighting the powers of evil magic." I said.

" No. We'll be fighting against a school full of meanies. Not everything has to be magical to be important." Fluttershy said. Her words were enough to make me reconsider my position on the matter. I had been so fixated on dealing with any magic-related problem, I neglected the kind of problems students here had to face every day. I felt bad knowing I had taken their feelings for granted, but I knew I needed to be better than that. I had to support their efforts despite my reservations. Crystal Prep might not have had students who understand magic, yet they were still seen as a threat.

" You're right. I'm sorry." I said.

" I am?"

" I know it's a big deal to everyone, and you reminded me that it's a big deal to me, too. I'm a student at this school, after all."

" Ugh! That's putting it mildly, darling. While we're on the subject, they're still revamping the playing field in preparation for the Games tomorrow. I'm still surprised at how they managed to get all that work done without anyone noticing them. Security out in the field must be working hard to keep anyone from trying to spy on them. The only thing Principal Celestia has mentioned is that it will cover much of the regular one. To be honest, they did go overboard with wanting to use so much." Rarity said.

" They used the entire field?" I asked.

" No, she said much of it was covered, so that does give us a small amount to work with after the Games."

" I just don't understand why there's this big rivalry. Aren't the 'Friendship Games' supposed to be about our two schools getting along?" I asked. It then occurred to me that I had answered my own question and didn't realize it until later on. Crystal Prep and CHS never had a strong relationship. There was this whole "Jack versus the Giant" vibe, with CHS being Jack and Crystal Prep being the Giant. One school keeps dominating the other, with the loser getting sick and tired of it. That's why CHS wanted to win so badly: to finally put an end to their losing streak. They wanted to show that Crystal Prep wasn't invincible and that any school could defeat them.

" Well, it's kinda hard to get along with someone who beats you at everything." Applejack answered.

" Has Crystal Prep always done that?"

" As long as any of us can remember."

" My condolences."

" Not anymore! This time, things are gonna be different! We're gonna beat Crystal Prep at their own game!" Rainbow Dash announced. She then tossed the yearbook aside, and it landed a few feet away with a soft thud on the ground. Good thing Ms. Cheerilee didn't hear the sound of a book being mistreated, otherwise Rainbow would have incurred her wrath, something no student ever wanted to experience.

" What do you mean?" I asked.

" Oh, you'll find out." Rainbow Dash answered. She had an evil smile on her face, and I had every right to be worried about that. Whenever Rainbow came up with an idea, something unexpected was bound to happen. Everything to her involved flair and bravado. It was her way of getting her point across.

I should've expected this, given she was so adamant about winning the Friendship Games. The rest of my friends looked worried, as well, over hearing that Rainbow was concocting a plan. Her plans often involved dragging several or all of us into a complicated mess, and then, we would have to dig ourselves back out. Was I concerned about this? Yes. I didn't want to have something blow up in my face again. Was I being too hard on her? Perhaps; she did often learn her lesson when her plans backfire, which was frequent. I had the urge to speak up, but something deep within my heart told me to hold back.

Was I going to regret keeping silent? In about twenty minutes from that point, I was going to find out.


" You've only known Rainbow Dash for a short while, but you never knew that she often comes up with crazy plans. Most of the time, they don't work exactly as intended, but her heart is in the right place." I said.

" Did you honestly think of me as a threat to Equestria?" Twilight asked.

" The portal is the only link between the two worlds. If anything were to go through from this side, they'd wind up in Equestria, but who knows what they'd look like. They could become ponies or something completely unexpected." I answered. I then noticed Twilight starting to cry, and I knew why she felt that way. She thought I saw her as an enemy to my world, all because she wanted to learn more about magic. My words were horribly chosen. I wanted to wrap my arm around her, but I settled for patting her hand instead. " Equestria has had plenty of problems with beings from beyond its borders. From what Princess Twilight told me, such threats occur almost every other week, so I had to ensure the portal remained secure in case ponies saw humans as threats."

" And what if the reverse is true?" Twilight asked.

" If ponies were to suddenly show up in this world? It'd be just as disastrous! Can you imagine there being two of everyone all of a sudden? No one would remember who was talking to who, and chaos would gradually consume everything until nothing remained." I answered. Twilight just looked at me, and I knew straight away that I messed up. She knew what it was like to have another version of herself running around. Her Highness had been doing so infrequently, yet neither of them ever met the other until after the Games. I should learn to keep my mouth shut. That way, it won't say something that can cause a controversy.

" Sunset... Do you think there's a human version of you in this world?" Twilight asked.

" That was unexpected."

" Well, do you?"

" To be honest, I never really thought about it like that before. I always imagined myself as being the bridge that connects the two worlds together. Everyone in this world has a pony counterpart, or other creature, in Equestria, yet I'm the only one who has no other self. You know, it would be nice if there was a human Sunset Shimmer. I'd like to know what decisions she made in her life. Did she end up becoming what I am now, or did she take the path of a monster like I used to? Does she even live in Canterlot? Maybe she's a foreign exchange student? The questions are so numerous and the answers so mysterious." I answered.

Deep down, I was worried about what an actual human version of me would be like. I had other concerns that I chose not to share with Twilight. I didn't want to make her feel bad knowing that Princess Twilight was who she was, and couldn't be changed. Did this world's Sunset experience friendship? Was she popular? A brainiac? Timid? Or something out of left field in the vein of Pinkie Pie? It made sense that there was another me out there somewhere. Equestria was slightly incomplete without my presence--minimal as it was in the grand scheme of things--and being here gave this world more than it needed.

" Sunset? Are you alright?"

" Yeah. I'm fine."

" Did I say something wrong?"

" No. It's just that I never contemplated being in a world where another Sunset existed. Princess Twilight felt the same way when she first came here. She never once believed that she would encounter another of her, and here you are, living proof that you are a Twilight of a much different colour. Both human and pony versions of those Her Highness knows are almost mirror images, yet with one or two slight tweaks." I answered. Looking up at the ceiling, I began imaging what a potential other Sunset would be like. Two images came to mind. In one, she looked like Twilight did in her Crystal Prep uniform. That one seemed plausible, yet the other had her appearing as a strict, no-nonsense army type. I wasn't fond of that one, so I shook my head several times to get those images out of my head.

" Feeling okay?" Twilight asked.

" Just needed to get something off of my mind." I answered. Turning to the next page of the journal, I stared longingly at a photo before covering my eyes with my hand and looking downwards in humiliation. Twilight had no idea what was going on, but when she leaned forward, she saw the picture of my demonic form. However, it looked really crude, as though someone had drawn it in their spare time and didn't get all the details right. Underneath that horrible drawing was a picture of Princess Twilight's crown, and it was a spot-on image. " I know they wanted to remind everyone of what CHS had overcome to get to where it is now, but did they have to use such a horrible caricature? If the Sirens hadn't left after the Battle of the Bands and instead stayed to be reformed, they'd be upset as well."

" What is that?"

" That's my demon form, exaggerated."

" Why would they show that to the students?"

" You can blame Rainbow Dash for that."

" What did she do?"

" She wanted to give the students the proper motivation, yet this one moment rubbed me the wrong way."

PreviousChapters Next