• Published 20th Oct 2015
  • 5,393 Views, 310 Comments

The Other Journal - Ganondorf8



My name is Sunset Shimmer, and I wanted to speak to the human Twilight about a closely guarded secret. I have a journal... one that contains secrets... personal secrets about my life from past to present...secret feelings about my friends...

  • ...
17
 310
 5,393

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 33: Sabotage!

Day: Friday
Weather: Chilly
Time: 11:00am

I couldn't believe my ears. The counter-spell that Princess Twilight had spent a good deal of the night working on sounded utterly terrible. I knew she had been struggling to come up with an ideal song to use against the Dazzlings, but I never thought it would have been that bad. The expressions my friends had regarding her effort were justified. No one liked what she had created. If they were to play the counter-spell in its current state, it would be nothing but disastrous for everyone. Time was running out, as the competition was mere minutes away from starting, so my friends, Princess Twilight and I hurried over to the school to check the band in. The atmosphere in the gym felt cold and distant, a sign that the students' attitudes had gotten worse since the previous night. The time had come for the bands to start battling it out to see who would move on and who would be cast aside in the abyss.

The Other Journal
By Ganondorf8
December 26, 2015
Chapter 33: Sabotage!

" Sabotage!?" Twilight exclaimed, utterly shocked. When she looked into my eyes to see if I was telling her the truth, the expression they gave her was all she needed to see to confirm that I hadn't been deceptive. " I know that competitions can be highly competitive, but to resort to sabotage? Why?"

" It was the failed attempt to use the Magic of Friendship." I answered.

" Right! You mentioned that Adagio Dazzle took advantage by boasting that the Rainbooms were being boisterous when Princess Twilight stated that there wouldn't be a competition." Twilight said. Spot on. We all thought that the Magic of Friendship would have worked, only to learn it failed miserably. By saying what she did, Her Highness had condemned the Rainbooms, and Adagio knew exactly what to say to inflict further damage. The other bands were now under the impression that the Rainbooms viewed all of them as insignificant. They felt offended by such remarks, so their decision to sabotage the Rainbooms was pretty obvious. " Sunset? What did the other bands do to sabotage the Rainbooms?" Twilight asked.

" If you're thinking that they tried to prevent them from performing through physical altercation, you can relax; they never went that far. I personally think that the Sirens didn't want everyone to rely on violence, as they needed our friends to progress through the competition. As we would later find out, the purpose behind the competition involved absorbing the Equestrian magic they initially detected so that the Sirens could regain their full power again. The magic was inside of our friends." I answered.

" Did the Sirens know they had such magic?" Twilight asked.

" What happened in the gym prior to the slumber party confirmed the Sirens' suspicions." I answered.

" Couldn't the Sirens have simply absorbed the Equestrian magic without the need of a competition?" Twilight asked.

" That would have worked had they possessed their full power, but they lost much of that when Star Swirl the Bearded banished them here. Remember that they only had enough power to absorb small amounts of negative energy in order to stay alive. So they needed to absorb larger amounts over a short period of time to slowly increase their strength until they were strong enough to absorb the Equestrian magic they sought. Of course, our friends weren't going to give it to them unless the tensions among them got to the point where they unleashed their magic as negative energy." I answered.

" Huh? That made no sense." Twilight said. She wasn't the only one who thought that was the case. Even after looking back on it now, the whole thing didn't really add up. The Sirens could have absorbed the Equestrian magic our friends possessed through other means, especially if they had gotten strong enough to utilize the full extent of their powers. Why rely on a music competition? Perhaps their vanity towards being sexy divas compelled them to want to take such a questionable route rather than the direct approach. That had always been my guess. Twilight then turned the page, where a small envelope fell out of the journal and landed in her lap. She picked it up to take a closer look at it. " What's in this?"

" Photos taken during the early rounds of the competition." I answered.

" Did you take them?" Twilight asked.

" No. I was good at a lot of things, but photography isn't my strongest suit. They were taken by Photo Finish, who handed them over to me as a means of providing further insult towards our friends." I answered. Photo Finish... Her thick accent made it difficult to understand what she was saying at times, but there was no denying that her skills in photography were second to none. I remember being surprised that she had wanted to compete with her own band. I would have thought that she wanted to merely take photos and have them published in the school newspaper. It shows that the Sirens' power was one that wasn't to be underestimated. " If you open up that envelope, you will be able to see some of the photos. I don't exactly remember what they were; it's been a while." I said.

" These are really good." Twilight said as she combed through the photos after taking them out of the envelope. There were roughly a dozen altogether. Each photo depicted either bands, events that were happening on stage, or some of the décor inside the gym. Twilight showed me the photos, which brought back memories of what happened at the time, until she stopped on a certain photo that made her giggle. " Are those Snips and Snails!? What are they doing? Is that... rap?"

" I remember that moment vividly. They were the first to perform in front of Principal Celestia and Vice Principal Luna, who acted as judges. Needless to say, their time away from me turned them from being bullies into being comedy relief." I answered.


My friends, Princess Twilight, and I barely made it to the school gym in order for the Rainbooms to check in and remain in the competition. The morning had been pretty hectic. The counter-spell that Her Highness had been working on had been disastrous, so now she needed more time to refine it until it was ready. That meant the Rainbooms had to compete as normal until the time came to defeat the Dazzlings. Hopefully, my friends would put their tensions aside and work together to defeat our common enemy. Oh, who am I kidding? I had a feeling their tensions were going to get even worse as the competition progressed. Rainbow Dash's arrogance had already placed her in the crosshairs of both Applejack and Fluttershy. Pinkie Pie wasn't having fun, which was a rare occurrence. Rarity was being criticized by Applejack for focusing too much on her costumes instead of her music. Finally, Her Highness had been experiencing unwanted stress from having to please everyone.

Me? While I had understood Princess Twilight a lot better now than before, I still had hesitation towards my friends for ignoring me in favour of her. I could have confronted them about my treatment while we were on our way here, but I kept it to myself. They were more fixated towards saving the school and would probably not want to hear my complaints. Perhaps it was a good thing that I wasn't a member of the Rainbooms. I would be embroiled in their arguing by saying that I was being ignored in favour of saving the world from magical creatures from Equestria, which just would've sounded childish.

The interior of the gym had been decorated to give off a competitive nature. Everything had bright colours, and the lighting was dim. While the others were checking in, I began to look around to see who else had decided to compete. I could see the Dazzlings sitting up on the rafters minding their own business, but I turned my attention away from them in case they assumed I was looking at them out of suspicion. Trixie was also present with her own band, as she mentioned to me when I ran into her the other day, but I chose to ignore her entirely. Flash Sentry then walked by with his bandmates following along, and his expression told me he was serious about winning. Some of the other bands included The Crusaders wearing flashy outfits, Octavia Melody solo, Bulk Biceps solo, Lyra Heartstrings and Bon Bon, and finally that one girl whose eyes looked in different directions with her band.

I could tell that tension filled the gym; no one was talking to each other. It felt eerie seeing everyone focusing their attention on one another and doing their best to refrain from lashing out in anger. If there was a positive I could take from this, it was the fact that they weren't bullying me, for a change. Knowing that, though, didn't make me feel any better; what I was seeing just wasn't natural.

" Welcome, everyone, to the first ever Canterlot High School Battle of the Bands." Principal Celestia announced while seated at a table in front of the stage alongside Vice Principal Luna. There were two clipboards, one in front of each sister, indicating that they would be writing down their opinions on the different bands that performed. " In case you are not aware, Vice Principal Luna and I will be judging this competition, and we will do so fairly. I believe I speak for everyone when I say it is by far the greatest thing we have ever done here at this school!" Her words prompted everyone in attendance to cheer, although the same couldn't be said for our group.

" Now, we have decided the order in which the bands will be performing during this initial stage of the competition. When we call your band name, you will immediately come up to the stage, where you will have five minutes to prepare accordingly. We will also be using the P.A. system in case anyone decides to leave the gymnasium." Vice Principal Luna said.

" No bands will be eliminated at this point. That will be happening once the two of us have seen each band perform." Principal Celestia said.

" The purpose behind this preliminary round is to see just good each band really is. Think of it as making a good first impression. Once we have finished seeing every band perform, we shall move on to the elimination portion of the competition." Vice Principal Luna said. She then pointed towards a large poster hanging on one of the walls, which looked like something one would see while watching a tennis tournament. Was this the format that would be used? I had a feeling this would only cause further strife and discord. No doubt that the bands who get eliminated were sure to become very vocal which would fit in with what the Dazzlings want. " Each band will be placed into a bracket depending on what number they draw. From there, we will progress through each round until the end." Vice Principal Luna said.

" I would like to take this opportunity to thank those who made this whole event possible. We are so glad our three newest students encouraged us to turn this event into something exciting! In fact, what we are doing now is much better than what we would have done before." Principal Celestia said. Everyone began clapping before turning their attention towards the Dazzlings, who simply took it all in stride. No doubt they were proud of what they had done.

" As this is now a competition, we can only choose one winner. Which band is going to be the one that wins it all?" Vice Principal Luna asked. The students then began arguing, each band proclaiming that they were going to win. More green mist appeared, which immediately began getting absorbed by the Dazzlings' jewelled pendants. They didn't even need to do anything in order for everyone to become consumed with rage. Looking in their direction again, they began giggling to themselves, although for a brief moment they looked at Princess Twilight and my friends. Had they figured out what we were up to? How? We had only come up with the plan yesterday.

I then began to think about the order the bands would be performing in. It would have been nice had the Rainbooms been chosen to go first, but that didn't happen. Snips and Snails were instead given that honour. As the two boys made their way towards the stage, I began to think about how I once treated them so horribly when I viewed them as my minions. Since then, they had avoided me altogether in the hopes of not being bullied by those who tormented me. Maybe it was a blessing for them to have been accepted back by everyone, after what they did on my behalf. When the curtain rose up to indicate that Snips and Snips were to begin, my reaction was one that would be shared with all in attendance. Snips cupped his hands to his mouth before making an attempt to replicate a musical beat. Snails followed along by doing the same thing before they started singing.

" They call me MC Snips and that ain't no lie.

My favorite food is, like, pumpkin pie." Snips sung.

" I'm DJ Snazzy Snails, I like whales.

When I go to the beach, I always bring my pails." Snails continued.

Was this their attempt at rapping? I had heard of this style of singing before, but I never really considered it as being significant. I could tell that the two boys clearly hadn't practiced beforehand; their song was just terrible. I looked around to see the reactions of everyone else, and they all had clueless expressions on their faces. Well... with the exception of both Pinkie Pie and that one member of the Dazzlings--Sonata Dusk, if I recall. Both of them were humming along, which made me wonder if they were hearing something the rest of us couldn't. If there was one thing to be said about Snips and Snails' performance, it would be that they set the bar incredibly low for everyone else.

" What do we... What do we do now?" Snips sung.

" Get off the stage, and like leave right now." Snails sung.

After a few more verses, which were worse than the previous ones, Snips and Snails finally came to a stop, much to the pleasure of everyone, except for Pinkie and Sonata, who simply looked disappointed that it was over. The two boys then dropped their microphones onto the stage, causing immense feedback. Everyone had to cover their ears due to how horrible it sounded, yet Snips and Snails remained unaffected by what they had done. Perhaps they were tone deaf? In any case, their little stunt didn't settle well with Principal Celestia and Vice Principal Luna, who both gave them cold expressions.

" Please do not drop the microphones." Principal Celestia said.

" This applies to all other bands participating." Vice Principal Luna added.

The two boys walked off the stage before brushing past the Rainbooms, saying something which sounded like an insult. I wasn't near them, opting to pay attention to the two sisters, so I had no idea what was said. My friends' reactions indicated that they didn't think Snips and Snails made a good impression. " What did you think of their performance, sister?" Vice Principal Luna asked.

" I will give them credit for wanting to make up the lyrics as they went along, but that's as far as I would go, to be perfectly honest. Their lack of rhythm along with what they did at the very end isn't likely going to get them far." Principal Celestia answered.

" This is merely the round where each band will 'strut their stuff', as those their age would say." Vice Principal Luna said.

" Perhaps they will do better in the elimination portion of the competition. In any case, I'd be willing to give them a barely passing score for the reasons I stated." Principal Celestia said.

" I am in complete agreement on the matter. Now, which band will be the next to perform?" Vice Principal Luna asked. She then started to look at the list of bands who had registered, and who managed to check in on time before the cut-off, to see which one would be ideal to follow such an abysmal performance. I, on the other hand, began to look around to see who was likely to go next. I had a feeling they wouldn't pick the Dazzlings, as that would be too easy of a choice. My heart was beating rapidly as I had a suspicion they would pick the Rainbooms. " After going over the list a few times, sister, I believe the Rainbooms should go next. After all, they were boasting earlier about how good they are, according to what the students have been saying. Perhaps they should put their money where their mouths are." Vice Principal Luna suggested.

" Agreed. Allow me to make the announcement." Principal Celestia said. She then stood up, coughing under her breath before everyone turned towards her to pay attention. " Attention, students! The next band that will be performing are The Rainbooms. Would The Rainbooms please proceed to the stage! You have five minutes to get yourselves ready to perform." My suspicion turned out to be correct. When Principal Celestia made the announcement, I looked at the other students in attendance to see what their reactions were going to be. They were exactly what I was expecting: angry students who looked like they were about to snap because of what happened last night. Something about their expressions felt off to me. Were they planning on doing something to ruin my friends' chances of making a good first impression? If so, I had to warn them before they went on stage.


" I may not have a strong fascination towards music, but even I know that what Snips and Snails did was horrendous." Twilight said.

" If the Battle of the Bands had been a comedy show instead of a competition, those two would have won it, hands down. Still, they made it up as they went along, which was creative. They did stumble towards the end, though, which was pretty obvious when they struggled with some rhyming. Anyway, the two boys weren't seen as a band who would get in the way of the Rainbooms." I said.

" But there were other bands that could, right?" Twilight asked.

" To be perfectly honest, most of the other bands couldn't really hold a candle to our friends. I don't mean to brag, but they were really good." I answered.

" I'm not implying that at all, Sunset, but I'm glad you told me that, as a part of me did briefly think you were making out to be the best. Which bands did you think would provide a true challenge?" Twilight asked.

" The Dazzlings and Trixie and the Illusions." I answered quickly. Those two bands were the only ones who truly gave our friends trouble, as the other bands merely fell by the wayside. The Dazzlings were the bigger threat, as they possessed Equestrian magic which they could use to manipulate everyone even more than they already had. As for Trixie's band, they became a problem towards the end due to the Dazzlings deciding to use them to administer the final stage of their plan. " The other bands never really posed a threat. I did feel bad that Flash's band was eliminated, as he is always so passionate about his music."

" Who defeated his band?" Twilight asked.

" The Sirens." I answered.

" Oh." Twilight said. Flash's band was good, but the Sirens were better, as they had more experience when it came to music. They also wanted to absorb the magic of our friends, so there was no way they were going to allow themselves to be defeated by mere humans.

" I'll bet our friends were pumped to start playing, right?" Twilight asked.

" Did you just say 'pumped'?" I asked, smirking.

" Isn't that a lingo used in this kind of scenario?" Twilight asked. Rather than laughing at what she just said, as that was bound to have hurt her feelings, I decided to hug her using my non-injured arm. No doubt she figured out that her word choice was odd.

" To answer your question, everyone was excited because it meant getting to show off their skills. At least, that's what it looked like on the surface. There was still a large cloud of doubt swirling above their heads, though. Rainbow Dash was still insistent on thinking that it was her band, and that everyone else was just contributing to it. Applejack and Fluttershy were still at odds with her over her attitude, and Pinkie Pie tried to remain positive. Believe me, it wasn't easy for her, with tensions continuing to grow stronger." I answered.

" And Rarity?" Twilight asked.

" She was the only one who didn't see Snips and Snails' performance. That's because Rarity is the kind of person who wants to look fabulous whenever she performs in front of an audience. It's the diva in her that cries out for attention, which put her at odds with Applejack." I answered. I knew Rarity loved fashion and aimed to have the best outfit imaginable when it came to the competition, but the sense of practicality apparently became lost to her. The outfit she used was certainly striking, from what I remember, but it proved to more of a hindrance than anything else. " Rarity's outfit featured these small, metal tassels, which gave a flashy look to the whole thing. It also made her susceptible to being magnetized." I said.

" Who would use a magnet?" Twilight asked.

" Someone who wanted to sabotage us. I said before that the other bands would do everything they could to make the Rainbooms' performance a miserable one. The magnet was just one act of sabotage that was used when our friends went on. There was also someone manipulating a light from the walkway above the stage, and there were a couple of other issues that occurred to make things difficult." I answered.


When I reached Princess Twilight and my friends, they were already making their way onto the stage, where they would spend a few minutes getting everything in place before performing. The only person missing was Rarity. In fact, I hadn't seen her since we left Sweet Apple Acres. She said something about going home and wanting to really make a good impression. This could either be a blessing or a curse, and I was strongly leaning towards the latter. I turned towards Princess Twilight, who looked even more stressed out. Her counter-spell must not be ready, after all. It looked like they would have to progress through to at least the second round. Hopefully, it would be ready to use against the Dazzlings.

Speaking of them, they are bound to watch my friends' performance very closely. There was another fact that also needed to be taken into consideration: the Equestrian magic inside of Princess Twilight and the others. They had to maintain a low profile so as to not tip the scales against them, for doing so would allow the Dazzlings to sense their magic. A disconcerting thought then hit me. What if those girls are aware that my friends possess magic? If they were, why let this drag on?

" There! Everything looks fine." Rainbow Dash said.

" It didn't take us that long at all." Applejack said.

" So let's get ready to rock!" Rainbow Dash said.

" Wait! Where's Rarity?" Pinkie Pie asked. It took my friends that long to notice that she hadn't been here the entire time, and I couldn't help but cringe at this notion. I thought they would have remembered that she had gone home so she could make a really good impression. " We can't go on without her and her keytar! We'd sound like... like... a band without someone playing the keytar!" That didn't make any sense to me, but who was I to question Pinkie Pie logic?

" She ain't here yet?" Applejack asked.

" We go on in less than a minute." Rainbow Dash answered.

" What in tarnation is that girl doin' to be this late?" Applejack asked.

" Can we go on without her?" Fluttershy asked.

" All band members must be on stage when the curtain goes up. If a single member ain't present when that happens, the band is immediately disqualified. Rarity had better have a pretty darn good explanation for why she's takin' her sweet time." Applejack answered. The bands didn't really like that rule, but they had no other choice in the matter. Principal Celestia and Vice Principal Luna were pretty serious about the rules and regulations of the competition. Some rules were pretty reasonable, such as being given five minutes to prepare. Other rules, like the aforementioned instant disqualification, not so much.

" Do we have to forfeit?" Pinkie Pie asked.

" It sure looks that way." Applejack answered.

" Oh! I'm here! I'm here!" Rarity announced as she ran up to us before coming to a stop to catch her breath. She must have come in through the side door; the main entrance to the gym was closed due to the competition. When she was approaching us, it sounded like Rarity was wearing something metallic. It turned out she was wearing an outfit that had small, metallic pieces attached to it which jingled about. She wanted to make a good impression, but I don't think this is what any of us were expecting.

" What in the hay?" Applejack asked.

" We will be performing in front of an audience. I'm not going to wear something fabulous? Hmph. You all should know me better than that! This little outfit will certainly do. Isn't it fabulous? And it's all thanks to these metal fringes that line the sleeves. Relax! The sound they make won't distract from our music." Rarity answered. I could see the look on Applejack's face. She was completely gobsmacked over what Rarity looked like, and simply stood there for a few moments before slapping her forehead in frustration. Rarity ignored that and proceeded to take her place on stage. While she had arrived at the very last minute and could have jeopardized the plan, she was here now and ready to contribute.

" Remember everyone! We need to be good enough to make an ideal first impression, but we can't allow the Dazzlings to clue in to the fact that we possess magic like they do. They could prevent us from using it against them once the counter-spell has been completed." Princess Twilight said.

" Got it! Be cool enough to win, but not so cool that we end up showing off the whole ears, tails and rainbows thing. So... about twenty percent less cool. Yeah, I'm cool with that." Rainbow Dash said. Did that make sense to anyone else? I'm not sure, because I didn't know her as well as the others, but I decided that was just one of her more unique quirks. Pinkie Pie then gave the signal to begin, and the Rainbooms immediately began to play. I was actually expecting them to perform "Awesome as I Wanna Be" at this point, since Rainbow Dash wouldn't shut up about it. Instead, they chose something more original. So far, it sounded really solid, and everyone looked to be enjoying the experience; unlike Princess Twilight's disaster of a song from this morning, this one had rhythm.

" We don't know (we don't know) what's gonna happen.

We just know (we just know) it's gonna feel right.

All our friends are here.

And it's time to ignite the lights!

Shake your tail 'cause we're here to have a party tonight.

Shake your tail, shake your tail!"

It didn't take long for me to figure out the meaning behind the song. They were referencing the tails of ponies, referencing the fact that the Wondercolt statue was that of a horse. While I liked the song, even tapping my foot to it because it was catchy, the same couldn't be said regarding everyone else. Their emotionless expressions told me they were bored out of their minds, which I thought was disgraceful. Was it their negativity that caused this? Most likely, which meant things were only going to get tougher from here. The worst offender was Applebloom, who vocally stated her boredom, and while I could have given her a stern talking-to, that would've just caused more problems. Instead, I chose to remain on the sidelines to give my friends support.

" Do your thing, you know you're an original." Rarity sung.

" Your ideas are so funny that they're criminal." Applejack sung.

That's when I heard the sounds of snickering coming from the walkway above the stage. Standing up there were Snips and Snails, and they appeared to be holding one of the stage lights. What did they intend to do with that? I had no time to get up there and stop them from causing what was nothing less than sabotage. They turned on the light and shone it over Fluttershy. Most people performing on stage would have found such actions to be annoying or even flattering. Fluttershy wasn't like most people, however. Because of how shy she was, the moment the spotlight shone on her, she froze, before running around the stage in the hopes of hiding from it. It was a fruitless endeavour, as Snips and Snails continued to torment her, until she chose to hide behind Pinkie's drums.

" Because tonight, yeah, we're here to party.

So let's think of something fun to do."

For the next couple of minutes, things had calmed down on stage, with Snips and Snails finally stopping with their shenanigans. Unfortunately, another problem was about to rear its ugly head in the form of Photo Finish and her band. I heard giggling coming from the same walkway, and when I looked up, I saw Photo Finish standing there with her friends. She was holding a fishing rod with a magnet attached to the end. I had no idea at first as to what they were planning, but it quickly dawned on me. Rarity had metallic pieces on her outfit which were no doubt magnetic, which meant more sabotage. Again, I could do nothing, as Photo Finish and company were too far away for me to stop them. I could have called out to Rarity to warn her, but the music muted out my voice.

The magnet came down from the ceiling and the metallic pieces reacted to it causing Rarity to become attached. She tried to break free from Photo Finish's grip, but she found herself being dragged around like a doll. Applejack would become an unintentional victim when Rarity bumped into her, disrupting her performance. Eventually, after struggling for a few moments, Rarity pulled back, causing the sleeves on her dress to rip off. When she saw the sleeves dangling there on the magnet, she dropped to her knees and burst into tears over her ruined attire. With both Rarity and Fluttershy out of the picture, the rest of my friends had to finish the song on their own. No doubt finished was a huge relief for them. This performance was a disaster because of the acts of sabotage that surrounded it. While the Rainbooms would still remain in the competition, as this was just a rehearsal to see how good they were, another performance along such lines would have been enough to eliminate them. If Princess Twilight were stressed by what happened before, things were going to become even worse.


" I wish that I could have stopped the sabotage." I said.

" You couldn't have done anything, Sunset. They were too far away for you to reach. By the time you would have managed to get up to that walkway, the students responsible would have been long gone." Twilight said.

" If Principal Celestia and Vice Principal Luna had not fallen prey to the Sirens' singing, they could have prevented the sabotage from happening. Instead, they just watched and assumed it was part of the Rainbooms' performance, even though it clearly wasn't. At least it was just a rehearsal. Had it been the actual competition itself, they would have been eliminated." I said. Would my friends have blamed me for not doing something about the saboteurs? I don't know, because despite what actually happened, it didn't dampen their spirits, so they were willing to continue on with the competition despite the obvious tensions getting stronger. The results of the sabotage further opened up wounds which my friends tried to heal, and things would only get worse from there.

" What are you thinking about?" Twilight asked.

" The tensions between our friends got worse because of what happened." I answered.

" And you? Did you have any tensions?" Twilight asked.

" Being ignored was my main issue. While I was supporting our friends in their endeavour, I felt completely useless, as I wasn't doing anything. The more they performed in each subsequent round, the more miserable I would become. It didn't help that the Sirens would further damage my self-esteem when they confronted me just before going on stage themselves to perform." I answered.

PreviousChapters Next