• Published 19th Oct 2015
  • 4,273 Views, 320 Comments

A Changing Perspective: or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Shell - David Silver



Diamond Tiara speaks out against icky changelings when she hears, ugh, Chrysalis is actually visiting Ponyville. What is the world coming to when a monster like that is allowed to roam our fair town? What do you mean she wants to talk with me?

  • ...
16
 320
 4,273

10 - Spotted

As I came down towards the other Crusaders and Silver Spoon, Silver hopped to her hooves and gasped with alarm.

What she was gasping about became clear shortly. I set Scootaloo down and a bunch of foals rushed up around us, staring at me with wide eyes. Oh... I began going mentally through the few curses I knew, but none seemed quite harsh enough for the situation.

Snips pointed at me. "Are you here to suck out our brains?"

Silver snickered softly. "She'd starve if she tried that on you."

Snips looked a little lost as the other Crusaders formed a loose barrier around me. "Nothing ta see here!" proclaimed Apple Bloom.

Featherweight tilted his head. "When did you get a changeling friend?"

Pipsqueak spoke in his thick accent, "That changeling has the same sparkly hair that Diamond Tiara had. I didn't even know changelings had manes!"

Twist tapped at her chin thoughtfully, a gesture many of the other foals were emulating as the crowd tried to figure me out.

I flicked out my wings and the crowd jumped back, surprised and a little alarmed. "What?"

Snails pointed at me. "She sounds like Diamond Tiara too!"

Scootaloo gave a nervous little laugh. "Well, that's silly. You're silly. Diamond Tiara's a lot of things, but a changeling?"

Archer leaned forward. "But it looks kinda like her, and sounds like her..."

I put a hoof to my chest. "I'm practicing my disguises. Behold!" I changed shapes, becoming a copy of Twist. It was a perfect emulation, except...

"Your Mane and tail's still all sparkly." Featherweight tilted his head the other way. "Can't you change that?"

Berry Pinch shook her head. "Nuh uh. This is a test, from Miss Cheerilee." She pointed at me. "She told us it's bad for changelings to imitate real ponies, and they should be punished!"

Snips straightened up. "Hey, that's right! You broke the rules!"

Twist poked at me. "Thop looking like me, thath weird!"

This was going downhill, fast. "Oh, um, I didn't know that. Thorry." Ugh, I'd gained Twist's speech impediment.

Apple Bloom turned towards me. "You can look like me, if you want."

With a rush of flames, there were two Apple Blooms, though one had a sparkly mane and tail. I was losing the appreciation I had for the diamond look I had before. "Thanks."

Featherweight shook his head. "If you're not her, where is Diamond Tiara?"

Snail bobbed his head quickly. "That was definitely you in class. If you were there, Diamond Tiara wasn't."

Blunt Hooves suddenly charged into the crowd, becoming a changeling as he went. "Wait!" Everypony turned to look at him. "She's part of the exchange program. She's at the hive."

They looked equally satisfied and amazed. Berry Pinch pointed at herself. "How did she get picked for that? What if I want to visit?"

Pipsqueak made a face. "Yuck! Why would you want to do that?"

A loud argument began to brew about the idea if visiting a changeling hive was the grossest idea ever, or kind of cool.

Sweetie Belle cleared her throat. "We shouldn't be talking about their home while they're right here. That isn't polite."

That made several of the foals look embarrassed. Snips ambled up to me. "So how are you liking pretending to be a pony?"

I waved a hoof, noticing how different it looked when I had Apple Bloom's body. "Oh, tain't hardly nothin'. I'm gettin' mighty used ta things." Oh wow, was I talking that way? It just felt like the way I should. I wasn't sure if I was amazed or horrified.

Other foals pressed in close to Blunt Hooves, asking him awkward questions about being an insect, and nervously inquiring of us if they were going to be nibbled on.

Blunt Hooves shook his head. "I would... have rather just been your pony friend. I want to be a foal, just like all of you. Does it really matter if I'm a changeling or not?"

Archer nodded. "How can it not? I mean, you're a changeling... No offense, but that's kind of a big deal."

Blunt's ears sagged. "Does it have to be?"

I put myself in front of him. "No!" Everypony turned to look at me. "Ah mean, it doesn't have to be any kinda big deal. Blunt's a good pony."

The other Apple Bloom smiled a little. "You're right, he is." She trotted up to Blunt Hooves and gave him a little hug. "Welcome to Ponyville."

Twist slipped in and gave her own hug. "Welcome to Ponyville."

Soon all the foals came up and exchanged hoofbumps, hugs, or even a nuzzle in welcome, and Blunt Hooves was looking very overwhelmed and flushed. "Thank you... I look forward to being your schoolmate."

Suddenly, I saw nothing, then I was floating.

I opened my eyes and saw I was inside the pod that had held me captive once before. How did I get back there?! I thumped on the side of the pod and Chrysalis' face came into view.

"Good morning. So, tell me, what do you think of changelings?"

I frowned at her. "I still think you're a big mean bug, but Blunt Hooves is alright... He's a good pony."

She rolled a hoof, looking bored. "And other changelings?"

I gave the window a thump. I wanted out of there. "I'll give them a chance before I decide. I haven't met many others."

She flashed her fangs. "And that's all I wanted."

I snorted, blowing bubbles in the green goo. "Was that all a dream?"

Chrysalis raised a brow. "Of course not. Blunt was quite accurate and truthful when he said what was going on. You were an exchange student, learning our ways. How does it feel? Was it not a wonderful thing, to have our power?"

What happened? "I was..." I was kinda gross, but did I enjoy having wings when I wanted, being whatever I wanted? Did I enjoy having to feed on love? "It was a learning experience." I decided on tactful. "I understand changelings better. Does this mean I'm back to normal?"

She smiled. "You never stopped. You were in control of a drone. Ah, here she is now." Chrysalis moved out of the way to let the diamond-maned changeling poke in and gaze at me blankly. "A true drone, very little self-will, also not very useful for most things. They happen to be perfect for these little things." She ran a hoof slowly through the drone's mane. "What have you been up to? Getting my poor drone cursed."

Cursed? "I didn't do anything!"

She waved a hoof. "No matter. We'll get it cleaned up." She tapped the pod, and suddenly I fell free in a wet splat. "I trust you won't be picking on any changelings anymore?"

I shook myself free of the green gunk. "So I wasn't ever a changeling?"

"Felt like it, didn't it?" She leaned in with her burning eyes and her long fangs. "Do you want that back?"

"No! I mean, no, thank you." I sat on my haunches, mostly dried. "I'm happy with what I have." I noticed the drone still had the amulet and reached for it. "I should return this."

Chrysalis made a dismissive motion. "Go. You're not a prisoner. However... if you decide you wish to divest yourself of your weakness, you know who to call on." She flashed those fangs. "I can be a very protective mother."

I wasn't sure which mother I wanted to avoid more, the one I already had, or the one offering to adopt me. "I'm just fine being an earth pony, thank you." I rose to my hooves and moved to walk out of the cave. "If you see Blunt Hooves before me, tell him I'm going to slug him for knowing what was going on without telling me."

She raised a brow. "Are you now?"

I nodded. "We can be friends after that, but I owe him one good punch."

She laughed, a terrible sound as she suddenly grabbed me and held me close. "Are you sure you don't want to? You'd make a darling daughter."

I wriggled and batted her away. "If I change my mind, you'll be the second to know." I flashed a bright smile, then trotted out with all the dignity I could muster. Had she been spying on me while I floated in that goop? It was the only way I could figure she'd know when to wake me up. All to teach a stupid lesson!

A changeling landed in front of me. It was... me, the drone me at least.

She dipped her head. "Thank you."

I didn't know what she meant. "For what?"

She gave a little smile. "You let me see so many new things... I fought a timberwolf... I made friends. I soared through the sky. Thank you. Thank you for letting me experience so much."

I gave a slow nod. "Do you have a name?"

She smiled. "May I keep yours? I like it a lot."

I reached for her mane. "If you keep the mane and tail, yes. You can be Diamond Tiara, the changeling."

The drone took a slow breath, then nodded and settled on her haunches. "I feel... complete. I want to experience so much more. I will make you proud, Diamond Tiara."

Chrysalis came upon them with a raised brow. "You've broken her."

I turned sharply at her. "Broken her?"

Chrysalis gestured at Diamond, the changeling. "She's shaken her conditioning. She's not a drone anymore. Trying to force her back into it would be more trouble than it's worth."

Diamond Changeling tilted her head at Chrysalis. "I'm free?"

Chrysalis smiled and pointed at the true Diamond Tiara. "You can blame her."

"I blame you." She moved in on Diamond Tiara and hugged her tightly. "Thank you... Thank you so much."

I... She really was thankful. I gently offered my own forehooves and hugged her back.

Chrysalis snorted softly. "Now, I do hope you're taking responsibility for your actions?"

"Come again?" I raised a brow at the Bug Queen.

She gestured at Diamond Changeling. "She is like a foal. She will need to be trained, taught things, how to be a full and proper pony."

I shrugged. "She can go to school with the rest of us. How does that sound, Diamond Changeling Tiara?"

Diamond Changeling smiled broadly, exposing her fangs. "I hope we can be good friends. I... I heard your thoughts, even the unkind ones... You care about your friends. You are a good pony."

She heard everything!? "Hey! Those are my thoughts!"

Chrysalis shrugged. "Blame me, if you prefer. There was no avoiding that, if she was to act as your body."

Diamond Changeling nodded a little. "I was you... It was amazing. I hope the 'me' that I become is half as wonderful as you."

She had the right attitude at least. "We'll work on that. Come on, let's get out of here."

I led her from the cave. I'd gained a new perspective, and a new set of friends.

Maybe not all changelings were hideous vampire creatures.

Chrysalis is still a jerk!

Author's Note:

The story comes in for a landing in what I pray is a graceful fashion.

I suck at endings.

How'd I do?

Comments ( 100 )

Now that the story is complete, I have two things to say:
1. Will this ever get some kind of sequel, or is this going to be a standalone story? Because I think increasing the friendship between DT and Blunt Hooves would probably make for even more interesting stories.
2. This actually feels like it could be an episode of the show.

:facehoof:
So she never was actually a changeling? Wow:ajbemused:Just wow.

Nice ending! ('Chrysalis is still a jerk!' :rainbowlaugh:)

6577672 DT has two changeling pals! It could be a sequel, but no promises are made.

how did you do let me think about this. after I get this shit eating grin off my mussel.
this is a perfect short story vary good work DS I don't think I really need to say more.
:heart: Harts Fire

So 6549374 was correct! Diamond was puppeting a drone all along!
It's interesting that the drone was aware the entire time. World building!
Keep going! ;)

So no love triangle with Blunt Hooves and Scootaloo ? No Tiara learning magic ? No making amends with Randolph ? No Spoiled Rich freaking out about her daughter condition ? :applecry:

Nice short story, if not too short. I would be lying if I say I don't want more. I liked the ending. The drone changeling who earn her freedom is adorable and a good concept.

6577910 I've planted seeds. DT means to make amends with Randolph, for instance. Now if someone wants to dive into these on their own? They have my 110% blessing. Please! I don't think -this- specific story needed more(though 20k words is a bit long for a short story. Pretty sure it counts for a novelette).

How did she get the diamond mane?

The ending is a bit abrupt, but fine.

6578145 She walked through poison joke some chapters back on the way to Zecora's.

Good story, have two hooves up.
s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/e8/fa/87/e8fa8786d7a0e53eab625d52baac518e.jpg



























Not what you were expecting, was it?

Well, I didn't see that coming. Wow :pinkiegasp::twilightoops::applejackconfused:

:pinkiegasp: *brain explodes* Did not see that coming! But that was good... got a "d'awww" out of it. As has been asked...

... will there be more (a sequel, I mean)?

Snails pointed at Diamond.

Berry Pinch shook her head. "Nuh uh. This is a test, from Miss Cheerilee." She pointed at Diamond.

Twist poked at Diamond.

me

and nervously inquiring of them both if they were going to be nibbled on.

us

I thumped on the side of the pod and Chrysalis' face came into view. "Good morning. So, tell me, what do you think of changelings?"

Chrysalis' dialogue should be a new paragraph.

Chrysalis is still a jerk!

I wonder if felony jerkiness is a recognized crime in Equestria?

As an ending, this was pretty good. Diamond Tiara came to a satisfying conclusion and managed to make life better for two changelings, one friend and one butler. Chrysalis though...this is DT's story, so it's fine to end it here, but I'm going to hope that DT goes straight to the nearest princess and tells the whole story. Even if they decide not to punish Queen Meanie, she needs to be supervised closely at all times.

6578209 "Good story, here's a kick in the throat." That doesn't seem like a very courteous response.

Well, it kicked off as I thought it would given the end of the last chapter, but it ended in a rather adorable and not quite what I had in mind ending. Way to write yourself out of a corner. xD

A most satisfying conclusion.

Sometimes an abrupt ending is good, and I think this is one of those times. It looks like everything is falling apart and nothing can be done to save it. Then, Diamond has her moment of character, and the unseen technicalities that have been there from the start kick in to fix everything. The timing seems a little convenient until you realize she could have done that earlier and had the same result. The suspenseful situation you put her in at the end couldn't really be resolved slowly, so the sudden end makes sense.

In fact, I think I'll revise my earlier assessment; this may be your best ending so far. You still left a few loose ends, but they're not the kind that will keep me up at night.

That was fun! Thought about her possibly being in a pod and controlling a changeling drone a few chapters ago. It was one of very few explanations that didn't make Chrysalis jeopardise the treaty.

Needs a sequel that ties up the stuff introduced here.

Cya
Raziel-chan

6578413 I suspect kidnapping is against the treaty, but it's not as bad as kidnapping, surgery and brainwashing.

Not bad. Not bad at all. Keep up the good work.

6578355 Typos fixed, and it's not very likely Diamond will go running off to anyone. Her dignity is better served by not spreading the true story of what went down.

I am quite delighted to hear I pulled off this story well! I'm glad you enjoyed it.

6578413 Do I? :) The story is very satisfying as it is. I'm not sure I want to risk messing up what I've made.

6578409 Glad to hear. Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon are a treat to write for, if a challenge.

6578800 Challenging characters tend to be the most fun. ;3

6578827 This story let me write about changelings and Diamond Tiara! Win!

6578835 It's been years since I last got to see Chrysalis and Diamond Tiara in a story interacting together, a big win all around for sure!

I am still wondering how Chrysalis came about her master plan to feed her changelings and spark some peace treaty with Twilight Sparkle of all ponies. Why do I get the feeling she just mostly waltz into the castle and ceremoniously drops her disguise in front of Twilight with a bored expression like "So, I heard you like friendship?" or something. Would be nice to have a joke chapter, little blog maybe if anything with how this all went down.

Can't say I wouldn't love to read the mane 6's reaction to her intrusion/offer. xD

6578863 Heh. I don't think it'd quite fit into this story. I'm in an awkward place, where I feel everything is just where it needs to be, and am terrified of changing a thing.

6578882 Totally. Why I wondered if there'd be a silly blog down the road at the least. Would be weird to have a chapter that totally shifts perspectives after all. But yes, this fic is totally complete. No questions there. It's just the curious nature of a reader that questions everything.

Chrysalis is a great character at pushing Twilight's buttons. But this one here sounds like those two are getting along nicely. You know, if you don't count the intense anti-changeling disguise canceling magical wards Twilight installed throughout every square inch of her castle, yeah, totally great friends now! xD

6578903 That did not imply Twilight took things at face value with a smile and no cares in the world.

DT could have saved herself so much trouble swallowing her pride.

But then she wouldn't be DT, would she?

Chrysalis, you trolololol! No wonder you brought down Trolestia at Canterlot! :trollestia:

Why I haven't saw that sooner!? IT WAS MATRIX! Mr. David Silver - I'm glad to say you're a magnificent distraction maker! And Oh God I need a sequel to diss! Because Tiara with a secound minion and the CMC assistants would totally rock the ponyville underage society! And maybe woo the Prince - that would be BEYOND AWESOME!!! :rainbowkiss::rainbowkiss::rainbowkiss:

6578717 I know the feeling...

I cannot tell you how many stories that I have tried writing that I have edited out of existence...

6579357 It was a pleasure bringing this story to you.

6579370 Editing? Bah. It's time to write. Editing comes later, if ever.

6579620 No dubt! I'm holding my thumbs up that you'll get enough inspiration for a sequel! :pinkiehappy:

Nice little slice of life story, well done.

6579952 Thanks for the kind words. Glad you liked it.

Now, this is one of those stories where I don't quite know where I stand...

I mean, I liked the story, a lot... Much more than I expected to...
Usually these "Chrysalis surrenders and Changelings live amongst ponies" ideas focus on an OC character learning how to live amongst the new society...

However, taking Diamond Tiara and making it about her, adds elements of 'wait, where's he going with this...' that certainly kept me interested...

First things first, props to writing a story like this in 10 days... I wish I could write like that...
Also, second props for having it use information from such a recent episode...

Now, as for the actual content of the story...

Contrary to the my introduction to this comment, I do know that I like this story a lot. Despite these following points.

1) Chrysalis went back on her deal, letting Diamond go after two days.
I was looking forward to an entire week of shenanigans between Diamond almost getting caught to her parents being more suspicious of her different attitudes and outlook... Befriending the butler, the actually-likeable Blunt Hooves holding a romantic interest in the faux changeling Diamond, understanding and interpreting the different emotions ponies give off (Like, having the innate ability to know whether or not a pony likes/dislikes you just by taste)... I was looking forward to an entire plethora of situations like that, but... well... We got two days, a little flight session with Scoots (Where Diamond didn't even ask about Scoot's awe/jealousy/excitement about her being able to fly)... And the whole diamond-mane thing that I wondered where it came from...
*sigh*
I guess the TL;DR of this complaint is that the story was far too short...

2) I only just realised I'd covered everything in the previous point because there wasn't enough time (within the story) to visit all the other situations I was looking forward to...

So, I guess the TL;DR of the entire comment here is that there just wasn't enough of the story...
It was great, what there is, is great... I just wanted more of it...
Kinda like having bacon for breakfast... Sure, it's amazing while it's there...
But once it's gone, you have to go out and buy some more before being able to taste it again...

So, thank you for this treat, thoroughly enjoyable while it lasted, but there just wasn't enough to sate my hunger...
So now I'll go out and get lunch...

(PS, the twist in saying that Diamond was never a Changeling was great, totally unexpected... since, while I assumed Chrysalis had the power to make a pony a changeling, I highly doubted that she could change them back... So, I'm totally in love with your headcannon of how THAT works at least...)

6581612 Hello there. Glad you enjoyed the story.

The diamond mane/tail thing came from the poison joke that Diamond tromped through.

The time thing? Well, I have a nasty habit of letting my stories go where they want to go, and Diamond came down as a changeling, which pushed things forward, a lot. The foals of Ponyville are not complete idiots, and the evidence was pointing at a lot of strange things going on, Then Diamond got a taste of what it truly feels to be feared for being a changeling, then Blunt hooves got involved and...

Overall, I am very pleased with the story, and it sounds like you are too :) Not all of my stories can be grand epics (Several of them are).

It didn't make much sense for Chrysalis to jump to such extreme measures as actually turning Diamond Tiara into a changeling, which would have a lot of ponies up in arms. Simply giving her that experience? She's likely to get off scott free, especially with DT being unlikely to talk about her experience very much to anypony at all.

6581604
I got bored. Also spamming isn't nice.

6582315 I really should watch out for spamming my own stories. That'll get my comments deleted!

More seriously, you laid down some rather heavy accusations last time, now meh all over the place. Your call, your loss.

6578437 Well, yeah, I doubt Diamond will report her now, plus, in terms of scale, kidnapping for a day without causing any harm and actually helping her understand others a bit more is much, much, much less grevious than what you mentioned.

Plus, it feels very much like other friendship lessons that'd be given on the show.

6578717

Well, it all depends on whether you feel like it. Even if you don't do a sequel, this story is still awesome. :3

cya
Raziel-chan

I liked it, for all that the week didn't last.

6593395 Glad you enjoyed the ride! Any favorite parts?

6593412
Subterfuge, DT learning that Not Everyone Loves Her. It was a nice little slice of changelinghood.
I disagree about "Princess Tiara" shape being difficult, though. I'd expect hiding the horn (as pegasus pony) to be more expensive, magically, than not hiding it.

But it's your story.

6593490 A Practiced changeling, who can change physical forms without accepting the metaphysical baggage that comes with it, could do an alicorn easily.

Diamond is not that. So she became a full alicorn, with alicorn powers. Behold and tremble! And she began burning through her love supply at a dangerous rate and hurting herself.

6593562
Okay, that makes a bit more sense. A bit fuzzy on what a cerapter(Princess Pony, "alicorn") could do that a changeling drone couldn't...except "more". And she's not doing more, she's just sitting there?

...Oh. So that's why her mane turned to diamond. I suppose the conceptual deep-power-linkage (symbolized by Celestia's aurora-mane (caused by solar wind) and Luna's night-sky-mane) would require some strong magic. Diamond is similarly thought to be permanent, which may be why it persists afterward. But diamond can burn...I guess changeling fire isn't hot enough.

6593660 Lessons were learned.

It felt very much like a surprise twist ending. :twistnerd: I was expecting the full seven days, or that it was all a dream.

6602386 No one expects the spanish inquisition!

Or my endings.

Login or register to comment