• Published 19th Oct 2015
  • 1,116 Views, 6 Comments

Make It Count - IMNOTHERE889



Equestria shall end tomorrow. The whole world will end. Two ponies decide to make the most of it.

  • ...
5
 6
 1,116

Final Day

Pinkie Pie sighs unhappily as she closes the book abruptly, causing dust from the table to float upwards. She accidentally sniffed some of it, and she sneezed uncontrollably, coughing soon after.

It's been too long.

She sighs again and starts to walk slowly to the door. The library in Ponyville was rebuilt, but nopony used it quite as often anymore. Even the librarian abandoned ship. Now the library seemed like a barren wasteland of paper and ink, stories that haven't been told to many a pony. In fact, since it wouldn't matter in a few hours, they decided to not learn the great mysteries hidden underneath the cover. Pinkie looked back at what was once a lively — well, it was lively considering the fact that it was full of imaginative ponies or curious fillies and colts — place and feels even sadder at the prospect of losing it all in about a day.

Pinkie had already lost so much. Old ponies left, new ponies came, but that would never fill up the hole inside her, that was slowly consuming her as each day passed.

And in a day it would consume her fully.

The hole appeared when her closest friends left; First Rarity, then Rainbow Dash, then Applejack, and finally, Twilight Sparkle. Rarity decided that the best place to be was in Canterlot, so she packed her bags and left Ponyville, and moved permanently into Canterlot. Rainbow became an official member of the Wonderbolts, this was only inevitable. Applejack took over Sweet Apple Acres and even managed to set up many farms all over Equestria. She kept on moving around to see how her other farms were doing, so Big Mac was usually in charge of the farm at Ponyville. Sometimes it was even Apple Bloom supervising. Finally, Twilight... It turns out that Alicorns don't live forever. They just have an extended lifespan, able to live for over one thousand years, as evidenced by the Royal sisters. But, their time had soon come, and Twilight had took their place, now in charge of raising the sun and moon. Everypony dreaded the next sunrise now, since they knew what came with it: their ultimate demise.

Pinkie let a tear fall out of her eye as she remembered the one friend that never left: the timid Pegasus known as Fluttershy. She had stayed with Pinkie, mostly because she herself didn't want to be left alone. Pinkie smiled slightly at the pegasus' show of kindness. She left the library, letting the creaky front door close by itself. Pinkie decided that the best way to spend her last day was to spend it with her last friend. Well, friend she had known for a long, long time. She walked slowly along the cobblestone road that inevitably turned into dirt. Gray clouds were overhead, making it seem like it was going to rain. A good thing to set the mood for the 'end of the world' theme. Nopony was out and about, no stalls were out in the town square, it seemed like a deserted, barren wasteland of homes and businesses.

No life. No energy. No fun.

Pinkie picks up her pace as she reaches the part when cobble turns to dirt. Most idiotic stallions would probably try to find love, maybe even get laid, but the consequences of a late confession will leave the mark of them — and the entire universe as we know it. Pinkie makes it to the bridge and looks at the surroundings she had seen so many times before. Even though she had seen this place countless times before, she can't help but be mesmerized each time. She stops completely and scrutinizes every aspect of the nature around her. Pinkie smiled slightly as nostalgia kicks in. This was the same place she had done that... Thing, to Iron Will. I dunno what to call it. This was the same place a whole Parasprite infestation started.

Pinkie sighed, happily this time. She remembers her original mission, and walks up to the door of the quaint cottage. She knocks softly in a very un-Pinkielike manner. It was answered immediately by Fluttershy, as if she had been standing there the entire time, waiting for the door to make those vibrations, signaling her the arrival of another living being. Fluttershy smiled softly.

"It's good to see you, Pinkie."

"Likewise."

"Oh! Please, come in, come in," Fluttershy says, moving out of the doorway, allowing Pinkie to enter. Pinkie steps in and walks over to the couch and sits herself down. Fluttershy follows and sits next to her, but made sure to keep plenty of space between them.

"I, Uhm, wasn't expecting any guests. But I, uh, made tea, just, Uhm, in case anypony decided to come by." Fluttershy motioned towards the cups and the teapot on the nearby table.

"Care to, Uhm try some?" Pinkie looked over to Fluttershy and nodded. The latter nodded back, leaned forward, and poured some tea from the pot into a cup. When done, she asked, "Sugar?" Pinkie merely shook her head, not into anything sweet anymore. Flutters nods again and gives the cup to Pinkie. She pours a cup for herself, and when done, she takes a sip of her tea, but not before blowing on it multiple times to make sure it wasn't going to burn her tongue. Her tastebuds was met with a pleasant taste at a pleasant temperature. Fluttershy looks outside and scrutinizes the gray clouds.

"It looks like it's going to rain," she says to herself. Pinkie takes notice of this and answers, "So it is," she says, absentmindedly running a hoof through her straight mane. It had become like that a long time ago, when everything started to drift away from her. Fluttershy looks back at Pinkie and says, "Is something else bothering you? Other than the fact that the world will, Uhm, end.. and that, Uhm, everypony has, oh my, gone away?"

Pinkie looked back at Fluttershy, her brows slightly downwards, but otherwise in a straight face. She sighed unhappily and said through gritted teeth, "No. I'm fine." Fluttershy says, inching closer to Pinkie with slight concern in her voice, "There is something wrong... Isn't there?" Pinkie looked annoyed.

"I said I'm fine." She takes another sip of tea, a really long one.

"You've been meaning to tell me something, haven't you?"

Pinkie almost choked on her tea. The beverage seemed to spike up in temperature, and she had to refrain from spitting it out. She managed to swallow it, taking deep breaths afterwards. She looked back at Fluttershy, a quizzical look on her face. "How did you know?"

"Just a hunch," she said, smiling widely, shrugging her shoulders, and then turning her smile back into a small, timid one. Pinkie raised an eyebrow at her friend quoting her.

"Well, I've really been wanting to spend an entire day with you, Flutters. This last day is meant to be ours." Fluttershy blushes slightly, and smiles a bit wider. She gives Pinkie a hug.

"I've also been wanting to spend a day with you."

Pinkie returns the embrace, and they stayed in that position for what seemed like forever, long enough to make it seem like the tea went cold. Soon they fell asleep in each other's hooves, long enough for the next sunrise to come. The two ponies stayed in their everlasting embrace, even as the entire world was consumed by the light of their demise. Just before the two ponies were consumed, they both shed a single tear.

It was all worth it.

Comments ( 6 )

Mmm... Like it! Interesting concept!

6544675

Oh, stop.. You make me blush :twilightblush:

Are you writing in 1st or 2nd person? Make up your mind.

6556447

Everything in italics are the thoughts of Pinkie.
Just thought I'd clear that up for you.

6556453 I know that. :ajbemused: I'm talking about how you keep going back and forth between 1st and 2nd person narrative.

6556488

Ehehehehehe.... :twilightblush:

I have a... Weird writing style.

Login or register to comment