• Published 20th Oct 2015
  • 2,228 Views, 171 Comments

Norrath, Earth, Equestria. A Construct's Journey - Nimnul



A strange construct, or fancy golem, is displaced to Equestria. But Landshark is no servant, no mere automaton. She claims to be a renegade Bellikos. What and Who is she, and why does she just want to settle down quietly now?

  • ...
7
 171
 2,228

PreviousChapters Next
Home Away From Home

The train to Canterlot had been crowded, and gotten more crowded still as it passed minor stops on the way to the capital. It seemed that quite a few ponies had found reason to spend the upcoming celebration there.

It had been obvious only to familiar observers that Bon Bon didn't particularly enjoy her time on the train. Landshark had done her the courtesy of enjoying the ride all the more. Since she didn't have much to work with in terms of facial expressions, she'd had to verbally inform her friends. Maybe the degree of enjoyment she had derived from the train ride would have been more fitting for a child, but the construct wasn't self-conscious about it. It had amused Lyra, in any case, and later, Bon Bon would likely be glad that she hadn't brought down anyone else's mood with her own bad one.

Once off the train, there had been something almost like a reversal in moods. Bon Bon had remained alert, perhaps even wound up, and yet, it was obvious that being part of a large and constantly flowing crowd of residents and tourists had bothered her far less than being trapped on a train. Lyra and Bon Bon had made a good team, navigating the throng of ponies immediately outside the train station.

To Landshark's eye, Bon Bon hadn't precisely enjoyed herself, but she'd moved with confident ease, at least.

It was well and good that Bon Bon had apparently felt comfortable among a mass of ponies. It was probably the anonymity, and years of fussing about it had endowed Lyra with a nearly magical gift for interposing herself between Bon Bon and any pony that seemed like they might bumble into her, disrupting the easy flow of the crowd.

Landshark had simply felt uneasy, and had wondered about the stability of her own footing compared to the press of a crowd of quadrupeds. At least in a human crowd she might shoulder past anyone in her path. There had been fewer stares than she had anticipated, however. Most of the ponies had been in a hurry, likely also mentally busy revisiting their holiday preparations. The construct had stuck closely to her friends. Obviously belonging to a pair of ponies who seemed a completely natural part of the scenery had seemed to make her acceptable, or in any case not extraordinary enough to stop hurrying.

She'd felt a bit foolish to be so uncomfortable. But city deployments had been the worst of the lot, trying to track down an anomaly or outsider entity in a concrete jungle that couldn't be reasonably emptied of civilian targets, which had to be protected but were damnably unpredictable. She wondered how many of her old friends had been able to take their vacations in larger cities after a while on the job.

On the other hand, perhaps her unease stemmed partially from being here, at the seat of the alicorns' political power. It probably didn't help that upper Canterlot and especially the palace loomed over the city. It might have looked foreboding if it hadn't been so bright and fanciful. That thought had simply left her annoyed at her own instincts.

Her disquiet had lessened away from the press of the crowds. With some distance to the train station and commercial areas, pedestrian traffic became much lighter, although more ponies seemed to have the time to stare curiously. Lyra's parents lived in a quiet, respectable neighborhood. Lined with apartment buildings sporting impressive facades and doormen making sure only the proper sorts of ponies entered any of them. Well-kept carriages lined the street.

It wasn't the ostentatious wealth she'd glimpsed briefly nearest to the castle itself, her first time in Canterlot. If she had to put a term to it, it would be 'quiet money'.

The doorman (doorstallion?) had immediately recognized Lyra and allowed them to enter. He'd smiled wide, and once they had been halfway up the stairs, Lyra had explained that he only smiled because she was daughter to tenants who tipped very well for various small services and occasionally gossip. "Your dad owns the whole building," Bon Bon added. "That's the simple answer."

Finally, they arrived at a third floor apartment, to be greeted by, presumably, Lyra's mother, although until introductions were made the evidence was circumstantial. There seemed to be little similarity between the two unicorns, and Landshark had a hard time guessing the age of any adult pony unless it was obviously physically frail. Perhaps the coats covered early wrinkles, but if a pony told her Mayor Mare was naturally grey, and naturally officious, yet physically only in her twenties, the construct might believe it until shown proof to the contrary.

The mare greeting them was an imposing specimen, perhaps more so when compared to some of the tall and skinny unicorns residing in Canterlot. Her barrel was stout, almost bulky in its width, and her hooves large. In proportion, her legs seemed short. She did not seem tall, instead creating the impression that somebody had built a pony that was one- or even two-tenths over scale, then shortened the legs a bit to hide the mistake.

It hadn't really worked. Thinking back to the ease with which Bon Bon and Lyra had navigated the crowds around the train station, she assumed Lyra's mother could navigate the same crowd much like an icebreaker might navigate sea ice. Lyra and Bon Bon were both fully grown mares, but at a distance, they might be mistaken for children, still, next to Lyra's mother. Landshark couldn't quite see a family resemblance, however.

Unusually, her coat was longer than normal, and it made the chest and underside of her barrel seem particularly fuzzy as it hung off her. The construct had never seen a pony with such fur before.

Landshark would not have been surprised to find out that Lyra's mother was heavier than a stallion like Big MacIntosh. Naturally, Big Mac carried the sort of muscle that only came with endless physical labor, while the mare she was looking at here was simply cast from a larger mold, big-boned in the most legitimate sense. The construct was completely useless as a judge of such things, but she couldn't help but wonder if the big unicorn was sometimes mistaken for a stallion at a distance, just because of her dimensions.

The older unicorn's coloration, on the other hand, seemed unremarkable – brown with vaguely blond mane and tail.

Upon seeing Bon Bon and Lyra, her mother's already present smile had spread wider. There was something unselfconscious and faintly ridiculous about it, and it was difficult not to want to smile back. Here, at least, was something the construct might charitably call a family resemblance. It was warm, welcoming, and instantly made the construct want to like this mare.

"Lyra! Bonny! So good to see you two!" The mare moved with odd grace for one so stout before hugging both visiting ponies at the same time, one foreleg for each of them. Landshark could see Bon Bon shift slightly to better support the weight. "Lyra, you have to visit more. You have no excuse!" There might have been the hint of an accent there, but even so, the construct would have no means of identifying it.

Perhaps it was the mare's larger size which allowed her voice to be more sonorous than one would expect of a mare. Maybe it was lung volume? Alicorns seemed to be tall, but they were all legs and didn't have much more barrel to them than other ponies, so their voices had never struck the construct as unusual unless they started using the Royal Canterlot voice. That was probably magic.

Landshark considered the effect of appearance. This unicorn was not as tall as an alicorn, but her proportions gave her real presence nonetheless.

Lyra had a lot of practice coming up with excuses for not leaving Bon Bon's side, Landshark imagined. Still, if she had needed anything beyond Lyra's word that her parents were good ponies, watching Bon Bon visibly relax into the embrace of the larger mare would have been all the hint she needed. The earth pony didn't let go of her tension around just anyone.

Well, considering she probably supported a larger share of the unicorn's weight, Bon Bon likely could only relax so much until the other mare stood on her own four legs again.

Landshark stood patiently. Their host had only shot her a brief glance. Likely, Lyra had mentioned the construct in her letters. The curiosity she assumed was present took a definite backseat to the greeting ritual in progress. Landshark could appreciate someone who had their priorities straight.

Still hanging onto the younger ponies, the older mare suddenly clucked her tongue audibly. "Lyra, I'll never grasp how you can stand winters, being so skinny. Bah. Too much of your father." Finally she released her daughter, put that foreleg on the ground again, then stepped back, releasing Bon Bon also.

"Mom..." Lyra only seemed mildly embarrassment, and primarily appeared resigned. Perhaps she had heard that sort of thing a lot in the past.

Bon Bon shrugged. "She's never lost that teenager metabolism, I guess. It's not like she's restraining herself on the candy."

Putting a hoof on Bon Bon's shoulder, the older mare cleared her throat. Lyra rolled her eyes, appearing to know what was about to happen.

"My fire is your fire, Bon Bon. Take shelter as our guest."

The earth pony smiled warmly in return, with a hint of amusement. "I'll assist you as I would my family. The work of my hooves should lighten the burden of hospitality." The ritual exchange done, Bon Bon turned to Lyra's saddlebags, pulling out a package to hoof to their host. "It's great to see you too, Enny. How you doing?"

"Oh, you know," the unicorn gestured vaguely with a forehoof, accepting the package with her magic. "Having my own fun, as usual. There are some new neighbors who seemed positively scandalized to find out a mare of my means buys her own groceries." She snickered. "They will come around to the neighborhood party line. A stallion of wealth and taste with a charmingly foreign wife. Speaking of which, Lyra, your father is still out on business, will be home in time for dinner."

She squinted at Bon Bon. "Glad to see you taking care of yourself. Looking better every year. I still remember the first time we met, you were all skin and bones." She shook her head. "Your room is all made up."

There seemed to be an unspoken offer there, and Bon Bon suddenly looked very grateful and slightly weary. "Thanks. I think I need an hour to myself. Train and crowds, you know." She nodded at the gift she had given. "The usual candy you two like, no experiments."

"Of course. And take as much time as you need."

As Bon Bon disappeared deeper into the apartment, Landshark found Lyra's mother turning her full attention to the construct. "Lyra mentioned you in writing." She stuck out a hoof and didn't appear surprised when Landshark wrapped her fingers around it for a shake instead of just touching her hand to the bottom of her foot. "Enkindle Heartstrings. Please just call me Enny, or Heartstrings. I have seniority on the name."

"Yes Ma'am." Landshark inclined her head and twitched her jaw. "Pleasure to meet you. Only heard the best. Bon Bon seems to like you a lot."

"Hey, what about my opinion?" Lyra pretended to glower.

"Meh, I figured you'd be biased." Landshark shrugged.

"Very funny, Shark. I'm going to get settled in. Don't plot my downfall while I'm away!" With that, she followed Bon Bon out of sight.

The older Heartstrings inspected the construct critically, but didn't stop smiling. "Well, since Bonny approves of you, I suppose it's settled. She's a proper digger to me. You look like you could make yourself useful. I've got dinner to prepare, you can help chop veggies."

That wasn't really the type of hospitality Landshark had expected, but apparently being a friend to Lyra and Bon Bon made her familiar enough to be roped into household work. Besides, it would allow the conversation to continue. "Sure thing. Why digger, though?"

The apartment was large, seemingly wrapping around the shared stairwell to take up the entire story it was on. Landshark didn't have an eye for such things, but the carpets were very thick, most of the furniture visible from the entrance seemed to be of solid wood decorated with intricate carvings, and a variety of landscape paintings hung on the walls. She was going to assume it had all been expensive.

"Just a term of address for friends. I grew up very far north, yes? Small town called Iceclad, because it was the biggest settlement in the Iceclad Lakes region. There used to be many small mining settlements up in the north. You can always rely on a fellow digger, in the mines, in the snow, in life. Diggers will work and trade with any being that cooperates, pony, diamond dog, yak, it is no matter."

'Or construct,' Landshark mentally amended.

As they settled into the kitchen to work, Enny grinned up at Landshark with continued mirth. "We're new money and I'm a northerner, all very uncouth, you know." She shook her head. "It's more like a joke between Bonny and I. It's just another thing to call good friends, but most of us do not think it fits ponies from the south. Even the good ones are too devoted to the Princesses, or maybe they think too little of other thinking beings."

"Do not get me wrong. We have all the respect in the world for Celestia and Luna. But they are very remote, yes? 'Perhaps the northern ponies do not love the princess for the same reason the thief does not love the guard?' Hah." She snickered. "Much has been written about the northern wastes, little enough of it holds much truth."

"But Bonny's a digger, yes. She'll side with her friends over any authority. There's a mare who trusts no judgement but her own when picking courses, loves, and friends, yes? I did not think that would be so unusual until I moved to Canterlot, all those years ago. Here, nobles side with whatever promises the best advantage. Parasites." She spat the word with disdain and wrinkled her nose. "Pity there are so many of them between Celestia and the rest of the ponies in this city. There are some obituaries I would read with great pleasure."

Landshark found herself chopping onions and celery. She was glad to have been given a menial task. If prompted to cook an actual meal, she would likely just chop vegetables she knew to be edible into a pot and apply heat until it probably wouldn't kill anyone. "Thanks for the explanation, I've seen little of the world but Ponyville and some of Canterlot. So, what's for dinner?"

"Pepper casserole! Don't cut the bell peppers, by the way. We hollow them out and stuff them with rice, onions, celery, some cheese. Very good." She looked up at the construct again. "Take our word for it?"

"That's alright, all I need is pleasant company." She snapped her jaws. "So what's your special talent?" Landshark glanced at the cutie mark. One of those imprecise sorts, open to interpretation. A heart and a note could be just about anything musical. "Another stringed instrument?"

"Hah, no. The name is just a figure of speech. I sing! It is a hobby. Sometimes, I go to a club and sing. Very improper." There was no break in her bustling about the kitchen and moving things around with her magic as she explained. "Music is so very important, you know? It lifts spirits, and may give voice to sorrow or despair. Much better than letting them fester."

"Most ponies don't realize that, but where I am from, the fall is worse than the winter, in some ways. Summer is a time of isolation. The land is mud. The warm season thaws the lakes. Trade is difficult except by air. When it gets colder again, the windigo's breath screams south over endless ice and snow, then picks up moisture on the lakes. When it touches a body, the damp is sharp as knives, seeps into the bones. Chills even us in places no fire will warm. Fall is a time of melancholies, if you will. Not healthy to the soul."

She suddenly grinned. "That's when you need a fire and a song in your heart. I do not miss the warmer seasons. At least in the winter, you have the dry, killing cold. It attacks the body, not the heart. Simple. Everypony knows how to keep warm, and with the lakes frozen and the ground harder, travel is easier, we have trade again."

"I don't mind the weather, generally, but I get pretty cold hands, which my friends find unpleasant." Landshark wiggled her fingers before tilting her head. "You're not what I was expecting, but Lyra and Bon are close friends to me. I really appreciate that you make her feel at home here."

"Yes, yes, there is too much of Canterlot and her father in Lyra." She rolled her eyes, as if she had been told an old familiar joke. "Very little family resemblance. That was good for some amusing gossip after she was born and we were seen in public together." Her expression suddenly fell. "Lyra never saw the humor in being talked about by vapid fools for whichever reason. I think Ponyville is much better for her."

The unicorn huffed and made a chopping motion with one hoof. "All I ever ask is that she looks to her own happiness, and that she has a backbone you can't pass your hoof through. She probably still worries too much, but I am satisfied. Also, Bon Bon is very good company for her."

She stopped working and turned to face the construct. "You must know what Bonny is like, yes? I have seen similar when I was young, in ponies who lost too much to the wastes. It made my heart ache, and at the start, perhaps I came on a bit too strong, and Bonny could become very angry. I am not so subtle, and I did not listen well when Lyra talked about how to act around her." She grinned. "Ah, but my hide is thick and my heart very big, literally! I was not scared away. Bonny was poor company, but she always made herself useful. Threw herself into any chore I could think up! So we made peace, and eventually, friendship."

This made sense to Landshark, who found Enny likable, but imagined that she might have been a little overwhelming to Bon Bon. "Bon generally prefers to keep busy, yes." It seemed a little strange to Landshark how much Lyra's mother valued guests who were willing to contribute in some way, but maybe that had gone some ways towards making Bon Bon comfortable, and not feel like dead weight.

Enny laughed and turned back to her dinner preparations. "My old mother, she would've come back from the dead to haunt me if I had thrown out a visitor who was willing to work so much, and asked for so little. It is not done. You heard us exchange the old greeting? Very archaic, and a joke to Lyra. But Bonny and I have earned this silliness. She is like a second daughter to me, despite a difficult start."

She frowned briefly. "I am realistic. They are both young, I think, and not all love is forever. I think they have good odds, of course. But even should they grow apart, I think Bonny will always have a place at my hearth. I couldn't bear to send her out to be alone, no. She is my friend, in her quiet way."

"Well, guess you'd have to arrange visiting dates without overlap in that case, huh? But yeah. You said it. I think they have good odds." Landshark chuckled. "Of course I imagine my judgement may be worth a lot less than yours. Romantic love is not something I can competently evaluate."

"I suppose that is so. Ah, but let's not be so pessimistic. Soon it is Hearth's Warming! Ponies come together instead of drifting apart. Come, let us finish this, it will need to cook for a while."

Author's Note:

Enny describes a subarctic climate, which has very short, very mild summers, and very long, very cold winters. Even in modern day, some places in these regions are only connected by air or roads that are only usable in winter because they're too muddy or cross frozen lakes (ice roads). I think in the US they had a show about that sort of thing for a while. Ice road truckers?

In describing Lyra's mother I was heavily influenced by icelandic horses, which are small (more like large ponies, in some cases) and can get some pretty heavy winter coat going. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Icelandic_horse

PreviousChapters Next