• Published 20th Oct 2015
  • 2,230 Views, 171 Comments

Norrath, Earth, Equestria. A Construct's Journey - Nimnul



A strange construct, or fancy golem, is displaced to Equestria. But Landshark is no servant, no mere automaton. She claims to be a renegade Bellikos. What and Who is she, and why does she just want to settle down quietly now?

  • ...
7
 171
 2,230

PreviousChapters Next
Making Plans

Trixie had shown up at Berry's house in the early evening, carrying a bottle of rotgut. No one was entirely sure where she'd gotten the vile stuff from.

She'd settled in with Berry, Ditzy and Landshark, requested a glass and started joylessly pounding shots, glowering at the table.

The construct started dealing out cards. "Alright Trixie. Mau Mau, we're going easy on the house rules round here. Jack let's you switch the suit, eight means the player after you has to skip their turn, seven forces 'em to draw two. Easy stuff."

Ditzy watched their guest with some concern. "How ... how was your day, meeting Princess Twilight's friends?"

"I-Trixie has had a perfectly nice afternoon. It just wasn't today." The unicorn shrugged. "It could have gone worse, Trixie assumes." She at last relinquished the glass and bottle, magically picking up her cards.

"They're decent sorts," Landshark allowed, with some hesitation. "But this is coming from someone who hasn't wronged them in the past."

Berry chuckled. "Could it be that our heroes are good at dealing with regular ponies, and good at defeating capital E evil freaks, but aren't so hot at dealing with ponies who're just, you know, not up to the Harmony standard?"

"I don't know," Ditzy responded quietly. "Trixie's last visit probably earned that-that capital E. No offense." The mailmare offered a kind smile to Trixie while playing an eight, forcing the showmare to skip her turn.

Trixie glared at the card, then held her muzzle high. "Think nothing of it! The Great and Powerful Trixie owns her mistakes! Still, it would have been better not to return here. There is little to be gained."

"Well, for what it's worth, I'm glad you showed up." Berry grinned. "Maybe you grated on me a bit at first, but our fillies were real happy to see what you had to teach about your job. So thanks for that. Pinchy sometimes complains unicorn tutoring with the princess is too dry, but you kept their attention."

Landshark didn't cut in, but she took note that Trixie seemed pretty pleased with being compared favorably to Twilight.

"Young ponies make for rewarding audiences, most of the time," Trixie admitted. "Trixie is still often tempted to blame those two colts for her misfortunes, but honestly, it was a failure of adult supervision." She shook her head. "It's of course rude to speculate, and children are impressionable, but Trixie would think a town this close to the Everfree would teach its young not to run in there for just any harebrained idea." As her turn came around again, she played a seven, forcing Landshark to pick up cards. "That evening was truly a pleasure until Rainbow Dash arrived."

"Hrm." Berry nodded. "Shark, be a pal and get us something to drink? The only unicorn is a guest and you're about as convenient."

Landshark smiled in her way and placed her cards face down on the table. "Right you are." She didn't mind the request at all. Before her smithy got set up, she'd spent so much time at Berry's place, she felt practically at home. "Grape or apple juice, or rather some tea or coffee?"

"Oh!" Berry perked up, apparently remembering something. "You've gotta try this strawberry tea blend I've been working on. Well, strawberry and some bits of apple, a little hibiscus." She put down her cards to follow Landshark. "Guess I'm hitting the kitchen anyway."

"That sounds lovely," Trixie agreed. "Trixie is grateful for the hospitality."

"B-branching out, hm? I'd love-love to try it too." Ditzy focused an eye on Trixie. "So, did Twilight's friends come around?"

"More or less, Trixie supposes." The showmare raised her voice for the benefit of Landshark and Berry. "The Princess is of course very concerned with doing friendship 'right'." Trixie rolled her eyes. "The yellow one, Fluttershy, seems rather too timid to express an opinion either way. The crazy one was very forgiving considering Trixie's past behavior."

"Pinkie's like that," Landshark agreed, returning with a tray of mugs and a pitcher. "Got some grape juice here, while we're waiting for hot water and letting the tea sit."

The construct sat and poured drinks, quietly impressed with Trixie's constitution. The showmare had taken quite a few shots to start up the evening. "What about the other three, then?"

"I think-Trixie thinks making peace with Rainbow Dash and to a lesser extend Applejack would be a long-term project. She does not wish to stick around long enough to try and gain their trust." Trixie took a sip of grape juice. "Rarity was the high point of the afternoon. Although apprehensive, she offered to recreate Trixie's old cape and hat as a peace offering. Generosity, yes? She would not hear of it when Trixie insisted that Trixie had been the one at fault."

"You don't sound ... sound very happy," Ditzy quietly observed. "You'd rather be off, but if you're not making an effort, they'll think you haven't changed."

"As she said, Trixe wishes she had not come. It is her own fault for her foolish pre-occupation with Twilight, and for assuming Landshark was her creation." She sighed. "It would be more pleasant for all involved if Trixie simply left, but the Princess was quite insistent about being friends, and they are perhaps too observant for Trixie to simply pay lip service and be done with it."

Berry looked in from the kitchen. "So? You're a grown mare, just tell them to shove it and take the next train out of town. Five of them'll be happy and you can always tell Twilight you'll write."

Trixie threw up her hooves. "Argh! If only it was so easy! I've only just put my life back together. Trixie doesn't want to go back to the rock farm, but now that she's working in Canterlot over the winter, she certainly can't be seen snubbing a Princess! The showmare act might not survive either. Twilight is an object of public interest now. There are already ponies who have interpreted news of Trixie's first appearance in Ponyville to mean that the humble and studious Princess and her confidantes do not approve of showmareship and tall tales in general." The showmare broke off, muttering something about rubes under her breath.

After a moment of awkward silence, she continued. "Trixie is sorry, but she is quite glad this friendship problem with your other two friends is taking up at least some of the princess' attention."

Landshark shrugged. "No offense taken." She snapped her jaws. "I gotta admit Twilight is largely a reasonable sort. Probably her weird over-concern for rehabilitating you in Ponyville set her off when Rainbow Dash told the story."

"Yeah," Berry agreed evenly, leaning against the doorway to the kitchen. "I really doubt Dash meant anything by it." She twisted her neck, causing a cracking sound. "Still, I'm gonna have to sort her out for being a pest. It wasn't her business and she should know best how Twilight reacts."

"S-Sort her out?" Ditzy squinted an eye shut as she faced Berry. "You sure that's a good idea?"

The construct crossed her arms. "You think you can take her on?"

Hearing the whistle of the kettle, Berry turned back into the kitchen. "Nah." There was a pause. Presumably working with the tea kettle occupied Berry's mouth.

Landshark headed back into the kitchen to help out. Quickly, the two of them returned with tea. "Just nah?"

"Nah," Berry agreed. "I just wanna blow off some steam and drive a point home. I don't wanna risk her livelihood or nothin'. Tea's gotta sit ten, fifteen minutes by the way." She shrugged. "No mistake, Shark, Dash's got experience on me, and speed, and she's in way better shape. But she's a sportspony, and she'd underestimate me. She'd fight like there was at least some rules. If we were enemies I'd have her grounded with her wings busted before she could complain it ain't fair." Berry offered a predator's toothy grin. "And well, on the ground, I'm holding more of the cards."

"Trixie wonders if that's an appropiate figure of speech to use while we're playing a shedding game."

Landshark sat back down and picked up her cards again. "Sounds remarkably stupid." She tilted her head. "Any way I can help you?" She didn't really doubt Berry's words. Rainbow Dash was a good sort who'd more or less stumbled into being a national hero of some kind, by Landshark's understanding. Landshark had learned to be a soldier. She'd shot enemies in the back, laid traps, planned ambushes, and generally been taught that if you were having a fair fight, neither party had planned particularly well. Berry seemed to have her own version of that belief.

No, Berry wasn't as skilled as Bon Bon or as fast and athletic as Rainbow Dash, but she was, allegedly, a dirty cheater who'd abuse being underestimated to its fullest, if she had to. Berry understood that the goal wasn't to score points, it was to make the other guy stop fighting back, and Landshark wasn't at all sure Rainbow Dash's string of successes in fighting evil had really driven that point home. Considering the consequences, beating Rainbow Dash with real dirty tricks would probably be even more stupid than picking the fight in the first place.

"I've been told, and there was perhaps a bit of elitism in it, but my old friends claimed that the average civilian is a few hundred percent less capable of messing another guy up than they like to imagine." Landshark chuckled. "Of course, we already know you've got some moves."

"Yeah," Berry commented, "You don't win a real street fight by being stronger or smarter. You win by being more willing to permanently mess up the other pony, for life. Well, I'm not willing, this time, so I don't expect to be winning."

"Aren't you going to try and talk her out of it? Picking a fight with Rainbow Dash will just cause more difficulties for everypony!" Trixie looked at the other three beings at the table with confusion. "Also, Trixie would rather not see one of the ponies hurt that actually treated her decently!"

"Well," Landshark reasoned. "Berry would know better than I would that pain hurts. I don't think I could use that as an argument. What can I say, I guess I'm an enabler." Landshark had been involved in quite a few brawls she hadn't planned to win, because being a relentless automaton pummeling another soldier unconscious in a mess hall fight tended to look a little bad to humans, even those who otherwise accepted her. She hadn't deliberately started those fights, though, only involved herself to back up friends.

Ditzy nodded, although she looked subdued. "Dash's competitive, she ... she'll be easy to talk into brawling it out with Berry." She sighed. "Then it'll be Dash's fault too."

The mailmare put her cards down, got up and hugged Berry. "I wish you wouldn't. Th-there's nothing you have to prove to us or anypony."

"I think I do," Berry insisted quietly. "The last fight was barely started before it was over. I gotta know if I can still go the distance for you lot." She shrugged. "I can't fly or do magic, I'm not a giant stallion, and last time at the bar I wasn't thinkin' straight yet. Taking on Dash would be harder than some two-bit drunk punk."

"Besides," Berry grinned. "Maybe it'll get the message out that anypony hassles my friends, they better be ready to take their medicine."

"Everypony in this town is a lunatic." Trixie shook her head in resignation. "At least you're lunatics who don't hold a grudge against her, Trixie supposes."

"At least they can't pin this on me being a bad influence," Landshark joked. "Berry's supposedly been that sort of pony before moving here." She turned to Trixie. "In any case, everyone's free to do exactly as they please as long as they're ready for the consequences, so I won't try and talk Berry out of this foolishness. No offense."

"S'cool." Berry took a sip from her grape juice after extracting herself from Ditzy's hug.

"Kind of reminds me of the gnolls and kobolds actually." The construct gestured at herself. "Generally humanoid, but, actually, kind of like diamond dogs, the way those have been described to me. Kobolds tended to run on all four limbs if they didn't need their hands, gnolls were more upright."

"Terrible candidates for the Cult, really. Most folk spending their afterlife in the Underfoot led pretty structured lives and took that culture with them once they passed on. Gnolls and kobolds? They dug their burrows or mines, but spent most of their afterlife fighting with one another, gleefully too, then feasted at night. Repeat the next day. Complete freedom of choice is a hard sell to people who're already doing exactly what they love and only follow orders from those savage enough to enforce them."

She shrugged. "The Underfoot was set up to please every type of follower Brell Serilis had. You could convince the orderly ones that maybe they didn't get a square deal in whatever afterlife hierarchy they were in, but selling freedom of Self to the gnolls and kobolds was a non-starter, really." Landshark leaned back. "Sorry for rambling. I guess I just don't see the big deal if someone gets a kick out of a good brawl. Ponies are pretty tough anyway, right?"

"As fascinating as your anecdote seems, Trixie still thinks that Berry is risking possibly permanent injury for seemingly flimsy reasons" The showmare shrugged. "It is none of her business, of course, Trixie merely wishes to register her concern for your health."

"Concern noted." Berry nodded. "I'll be honest with you. I made a real mess of my life, and I was barely a mother to my filly. Why? I was so damned worried about being a bad pony and a terrible example around the time she was born, I really fell apart on her. How was I gonna raise a good filly if my first reflex when somepony made her cry was to give'em a beating?"

Berry scowled. "Well, you know what? Fine. Maybe I did grow up a violent thug. I shoulda owned it! Maybe get into a contact sport or somethin'. Feeling ashamed all the time did nothing but ruin me and my daughter, and I'm DONE."

Ditzy extended a wing to lightly touch Berry's side. "Good. Your friends are happy when-when you're happy." She smiled and went on to gently chide the earth pony. "Indoor voice, please?"

"Heh. 'scuse me for raising my voice." Berry took a sip of tea, then continued talking. "So this is me. I'll be peaceful, and friendly, and I'll follow the laws like any other good pony. I'm good with children, I'm an amiable sort. But anypony, anypony grown-up anyway, lays a hoof on my daughter or Dinky, I'll be serving time for sure, because that pony is going to be in for the beating of their life. That's the sort of pony I was when they couldn't try me as an adult, and that's the sort of pony I am now."

She offered Trixie a small smile. "And that's why I want to challenge Rainbow Dash to a fight. I gotta see if I can still walk the walk, and I got nothing much to offer my daughter except to teach her to own up to whoever she turns out to be. Maybe I mind fightin' less than other ponies. That's not nice, but at least I wanna show everypony that they'll have to keep me in mind when they tally up the consequences of messing with my ponies."

Berry's confidence wavered as she sought out eye contact with Ditzy. "I'm so scared for Pinchy some nights, Ditzy, really, I am. The first few years are so important for a foal's development and I can barely remember if I paid enough attention to her. She seems happy enough. I just hope my neglect didn't mess her up too much."

She cleared her throat, seemingly struggling not to tear up. "I really think I'm done worrying if I'm good enough. Honest. But regret – that really hurts. That'll chip away at me if I let it. I feel so damned foolish."

"Pinchy is doing f-fine." Ditzy briefly managed to focus both eyes on Berry and continued to speak gently. "She's clever, and she ... she'll make you proud. Our fillies are a great team. And if anything happens to you ... happens because you act like a big ol' meathead, she'll ... she'll always have a place at my house."

Landshark, of course, wouldn't be credible offering an opinion about being a mother anyway. She returned from the kitchen with tea in time to notice Trixie appearing really quite uncomfortable with the situation. Perhaps Trixie wasn't wholly used to concerning herself with the feelings of others. Still, the showmare appeared to feel compelled to offer some comfort, in her own way.

"For what it's worth, Trixie did not think your daughter was any slower to pick up Trixie's light and sound spells compared to the other filly." She hesitated. "There's something in the unselfish and self-sacrificing love of a brute which goes directly to the heart of those who've had too many occasions to test the paltry friendship and gossamer fidelity of other ponies."

Landshark seated herself again. Berry briefly offered Trixie a smile before accepting a hug from Ditzy. The construct leaned closer to the unicorn. "Some of my friends have some keenly felt regrets. Maybe that's why they were willing to let you have a do-over with them."

"Trixie may not be very good at really connecting with other ponies," the showmare quietly admitted. "But she appreciates the gesture."

"Tch." Berry scoffed and rubbed at her eyes. "She didn't come here to listen to me whine. You're a guest in my house, Trixie." She blew out a slow breath. "There anything we can do for you, generally?"

"Doesn't seem too likely to Trixie." She shrugged. "She appreciates your hospitality very much, but is worried that overtly being my friends will reflect poorly on you, or at least make you look foolish to those who do not trust Trixie."

Ditzy frowned for the first time that night. "Ponyville's not that p-petty. Maybe a couple ponies will th-think I'm just being stupid again. But most just won't ... won't care that much. And if you really want to leave ... " Ditzy paused and held up a hoof to indicate she wasn't done talking. "T-tell the princess that ... that you're glad she f-forgives you, but you blew it with her friends and ... and don't want to put your life on hold until they c-come around." Ditzy shrugged. "Offer to write her."

"Yes, well. Trixie will consider your advice. Might she suggest, however, that we consider how you should approach the issue between the princess and your two other friends?"

Trixie obviously didn't care to argue with Ditzy about what other ponies would or wouldn't think, but Landshark was happy with the change in topic either way.

"Don't expect this to be much of an issue, frankly. It'll be a cold day in Hell before Lyra listens to Twilight over Bon." The construct stopped herself. "Human expression. I don't suppose Tartarus is known to be real hot? Ah, never mind. Besides, as I said, Twilight's a reasonable sort."

Berry rolled her eyes. "This isn't a competition, ya loon. Lyra doesn't need to win against the princess. They gotta work this out someway that makes the princess happy, otherwise she'll never leave well enough alone."

Landshark had sense enough to sound sheepish. "I knew that, of course. Old habits, you know. You're right." She inclined her head in Trixie's direction. "And it's gotta be honest. I agree with Trixie that they're too smart to just pay lip service."

Ditzy rolled her eyes also, which tended to look a little more noteworthy, coming from her. "Well, I'm glad we es-established that being genuine in trying to make them all get ... make them get along is ... is the useful and easy option."

"Sounds like somepony just volunteered to play chaperon to Bon Bon when she's meeting Twilight!" Berry grinned but quickly turned serious. "Because that better happen pre-arranged. Not the kind of surprise Bon would like."

"M-me? Why?" Ditzy didn't seem particularly enthused about the idea. Probably wasn't keen on being exposed to royalty, Landshark assumed, because Ditzy had greater difficulty making herself understood when she was nervous. As if reading the construct's mind, she added, "I can't focus right, I can't ... not in f-f-front of a princess."

"Look, Ditzy," Berry gave Ditzy a pleading look. "I love ya like a sister, hate to ask this of you, but Shark's right out, so is Lyra, this time." She shrugged. "Now I wouldn't mind facing down Twilight but I'm not so good at comfortin' ponies under stress. When Bon's actin' out, you might be able to smooth things over. You won't get mad at her, or at Twilight."

"I agree." Landshark nodded. "Don't worry about the talking. You just be there next to Bon." She gestured vaguely. "With Lyra out of the question, you've got the levelest head left, and you're steady as long as you don't get hung up on the princess bit."

"As a professional teller of tales, let me assure you that real life, for regular ponies, isn't made of the great sacrifices and devotions," Trixie suddenly spoke up again. "Little things, smiles and kindnesses and small obligations, they refresh the heart and secure comfort."

"Oho, we got another wordy one on our hooves. Watch out Shark, she'll be after your job soon." Berry shook her head in amusement. "It's a nice thought though, cause Ditzy is real good at the small stuff."

Ditzy sighed heavily. "Okay. But the princess shouldn't be ... shouldn't be alone either." She hesitated. "Well, Bon works with Fluttershy. The Element of Kindness ... anyway, she's the only one of the princess' ... of her friends that Bon trusts a little, and the only one that knows her a little better."

"Alright!" Berry almost cheered. "I'll coordinate with Spike to get something set up. Besides, Twilight's one of the last ponies to care how you talk. She's a good sort, mostly." She bared her teeth and waved a hoof. "And if against all odds she goes out of her way to make you feel little or stupid, I'll track her down and pop her one right in the mouth."

Ditzy giggled. "Yes-yes, I'm already convinced th-that you'd all be awful at this. No need to go on." She hesitated. "One c-condition. You try to t-talk to Rainbow Dash first. And if she's not up for a fight, n-no goading her into one!"

"Aww, come on, Ditzy."

"No. That's the condition." Ditzy crossed her forelegs, eyeing Berry as sternly as she could. "I know we're w-worried about Bon, but I'm ... I'm worried about you, too."

Landshark could understand Ditzy, she thought. While the construct herself was more emotionally invested in the local alicorn's reaction to Bon Bon, Ditzy was probably just as concerned about Berry putting herself at risk, considering the earth pony also had a daughter to look after.

"Trixie suspects that Berry would be just as happy living in a world where a good fight would be a more acceptable way of settling differences." The showmare took any sting that might have been there out of her words with a smile. Landshark thought it might almost be a fond one.

Berry seemed like she was about to say something glib, but then frowned and rubbed her chin. "Nah. That sort of setting don't usually work out for the sort of ponies that don't fight well." She put on an amused grin. "I figure it's nicer being the rough pony in a nice place like this than bein' the nice pony in a setting where everypony else are fighters. There's a reason I raised my foal here."

She sighed. "Okay. I'll talk it over with Rainbow. It's a stupid idea anyway, but my hooves're itching."

Landshark snapped her jaws again. "That's a fair deal, in any case." She tilted her head at Berry. "If you're really looking for some practice, you could have a go at me. Be a change from having Bon wiping the floor with me, anyway."

Berry shrugged. "Maybe. Wouldn't really send the same sort of message, but might be good practice. Never really fought anyone that wasn't mostly shaped like a pony. Even griffons aren't that different." She didn't seem too enthusiastic. "I'll think about it."

Trixie suddenly sat up straighter. "Your fillies! Perhaps if Trixie volunteered some of her time to perform at the local school, it might serve to restore some trust! And then she could go back to Canterlot in time to start doing her actual job." She clapped her hooves together. "That would be perfect! Could Trixie perhaps ask one of you to present the idea to Twilight with Trixie?"

"Sure," Berry agreed evenly. "I'm not real fit to be involved in the other issue, anyway, and if I offer to stick around when you're performing, ponies will know I'll just straight snap your horn off if you do something skeevy. That'll get the sisters of the Crusaders on board, and that ought to be good enough for the rest of the townsponies."

"Y-yes, Trixie could see how that might set their minds at ease." The showmare paused to collect herself. "So, she thanks you for the, uh, the assistance, she supposes."

"Think nothing of it. Now everypony, drink your tea and lets go back to the cards!"

PreviousChapters Next