• Published 21st Jan 2017
  • 8,577 Views, 175 Comments

The Human Lifestyle... with Magic - Autum Breeze



Something goes wrong with the portal between Equestria and the human world, leaving Twilight trapped for a few months. That wouldn't be so bad... if she wasn't also a child

  • ...
15
 175
 8,577

Chapter 3

Chapter 3


___________________________________________________________

“...and that about covers everything up til today,” Sunset finished sheepishly.

The group of seven were sitting in the living room of the Sparkle home. Sunset and Twilight were sitting on one couch, with Spike sitting between them. Cadance was sitting in an armchair whilst Twilight’s father leaned against it and Velvet and the younger Twilight took up the second couch, namely due to the fact that Velvet was having to lay on her side whilst holding the younger Twilight to her; Sunset had told her that ponies don’t really have laps for their foals to remain in, so had helped her figure out a way for the little girl to snuggle up with her as if still a pony.

As for the younger Twilight, she was still asleep, which had left a lot of the explaining of Equestria specifically to Sunset.

Twilight and Sunset had just spent several minutes explaining everything they could to Velvet and Night Light, with Cadance giving her own input to show that, as crazy as it all sounded, it wasn’t just the two of them making something up, what with Cadance herself having been a witness to everything magical that had happened at the Friendship Games herself.

“And the reason our daughter’s... pony princess double is like this is because...?” Night Light asked, glancing to his wife and the small child cuddled asleep against her.

Sunset followed his gaze, before scratching behind her head. “Actually, that’s something I can’t explain and we didn’t really have a lot of time to slowly figure it out before... well...”

The kitchen incident was definitely still on their minds, what with Sunset and Twilight having helped with the clean up before sitting down to finally talk with Twilight’s parents.

“I don’t understand,” Cadance looked to the younger double of the girl she’d babysat for in the past. “If this Twilight is actually around the same age as our Twilight, regardless of whatever turned her into a child when she came to this world, why did she react the way she did upon seeing us.”

Sunset frowned, looking down. “That... I don’t really know myself. It’s almost like, for the briefest of seconds, Twilight forgot which world she’s in and thought you,” she looked to Velvet, then Night Light, “were her parents back in Equestria. As to what caused her to burst into tears... I honestly couldn't say.”

“Um, Princess Twilight is a child now,” Spike pointed out from the couch. It had been a surprise to Sunset that the two parents were put off by the talking dog, with how long it had been since the Friendship Games and it likely they’d already encountered it. Seemed somehow Twilight had hidden it til then.

Night Light looked to the dog with a raised eyebrow. “What does that have to do with it, Spike?” he then blinked, before putting a hand over his eye. “I’m asking a coherent question of my daughter’s dog and actually expecting an answer. This is beyond bizarre.”

The dog in question scratched behind his ear, before looking to the girl curled up with his owner’s mother. “Well, don’t little kids minds work differently than older kids’ do?”

Cadance frowned. “Yes, but, if this Twilight is normally around the same age as our Twilight, then she isn’t really a child, Spike.”

“Actually, she’s probably older than this world’s Twilight,” Sunset interjected. When everyone looked to her, she continued. “Ponies in Equestria age a bit differently than humans do here. Twilight’s more around the age of twenty back there.”

“Wouldn’t that mean you’re older than you look too?” Night Light cocked an eyebrow.

Sunset blushed, looking away. “Well, technically, yes. In fact, I’m older than Princess Twilight because I was Princess Celestia’s personal student before her, but I’ve spent four years in this world specifically. The portal is a bit weird that way. I don’t fully understand it myself, even though I thought I did back when I first found out about it.”

“Still, I don’t see what you’re getting at, Spike,” Twilight said, returning to the previous matter. “If the other me is around twenty back in her world, like Sunset says and normally would turn into a girl around my age when coming to this world, what does her being a child now have to do with her reactions earlier?”

“Well, she may be that old normally, but right now, her body’s that of a child.” The dog looked around, before giving a slightly confused expression. “Am I, the dog, really the only one gets it?”

“I... I think I get where Spike’s going with this,” Sunset nodded, her brow furrowed in thought. “Twilight’s mind might still be the age she really is, but her body isn’t. Her brain isn’t the brain of the Princess of Friendship that’s been to this world before.”

Night Light cocked an eyebrow. “I’m afraid I don’t follow you.”

“Wait,” Twilight frowned, looking to the younger version of her alternate self. “I think I get it now too. Physically, her brain isn’t the same age as her mind. That could be causing some confusion.”

“And... being in a child’s body, her brain isn’t quite coping with the information is has inside it?” Cadance hazard a guess. “But, that still doesn’t explain why she’d think our Twilight’s parents were hers, even if only for a few seconds, then burst into tears upon realizing they weren’t.”

Sunset looked to the young girl nestled against the human version of her mother. “I can’t really guess why that happened either. The only way we’ll likely be able to figure it out is when Twilight wakes up... though I’m not sure when that will be, exactly.”

They were all silent for several minutes, before Velvet looked to Sunset. “So... this child is actually a princess?”

Sunset nodded, not sure whether she was happy for the change in conversation or not. “Yeah. She’s an Alicorn and, when she Ponies Up, she gets her wings back. In fact, that technically means your Twilight and Cadance are Alicorns, too.”

“What?!” everyone gasped, looking to Sunset like she was mad.

Sunset nodded, before looking around. “Well, yeah. It would make sense.” She looked to Twilight, then Cadance. “You’re both the human reflections of your Alicorn selves back in Equestria. If either of you went through the portal, I’m certain she’d come out the other side as Alicorn.”

None noticed the worried look in Twilight’s eyes as she looked away, murmuring so low no one could hear, “I know I wouldn’t be. Because of her.”

“So... in another world, I’m a princess?” Cadance asked, pointing to herself, a dumbfounded look on her face.

Sunset nodded. “Principal Celestia and Vice Principal Luna too. It does kind of surprise me that, despite your pony self being the ruler of the Crystal Empire, you weren’t the principal of Crystal Prep, since that’s the mirror version of the Empire.”

“Well, actually, I might soon be in charge at Crystal Prep,” Cadance said, looking away sheepishly. “I was asked by Spoiled Rich the take over as Acting Principal until everything with Cinch is sorted.”

“And with the recordings you had of Cinch blackmailing Twilight, it might end up being a permanent placement,” Sunset nodded.

There was silence, before Sunset noticed the three adults were staring at her in shock.

“What?”

Cadance’s expression was uneasy. “How did you know I had recordings of Cinch blackmailing Twilight?”

Sunset frowned. “Well, Pinkie Pie said she saw you place the recording device in one of the trophies when she and Dash were over at Crystal Prep shortly before the games.”

She didn’t think she needed to explain it was their world’s Pinkie who saw this and had told her pony self upon their latest switch, or that their Pinkie wasn't in this world at the moment. That could wait. She did explain the how though (meaning how their world’s Pinkie saw Cadance plant the device), if only to ease the worry clear on Cadance’s face.

After several long moments of quiet, Sunset glanced up and noticed the time.

She sighed, getting up. “Sorry to leave this on all of you so suddenly, but I should really head back to my apartment. Since it’s not in the city, I need to catch a bus back before heading there.”

Uncertain looks passed between the adults and Twilight, before nodding.

“I... can’t really say how best to handle Twilight when she wakes up,” she glanced at the sleeping child. “But, Twi’s a smart girl. Even if being in that body is confusing her mind at bit, if you approach her calmly and logically, you should be fine.”

“And her magic?” Twilight asked, looking to her younger double.

Sunset scratched her head, wearing a befuddled expression. “I really don’t understand that myself. Magic works differently in this world than back in Equestria, but Twilight seemed to have normal access. Though, all we really saw was levitation, so that might be the limit. I can’t really say. I’ll try getting in contact with someone in Equestria when I get home and see if they can help. Other than that, I’m not sure what else we can do tonight.”

They all thought this over, before nodding.

Cadance got up and moved towards Sunset. “I need to get going myself, so I can drop you off if you like, Sunset. It would save you the bus fare.”

Sunset gave a small smile. “Thanks, Dean Cadance.”

Cadance returned the smile. The two bid the others goodnight, before heading out.

When the door closed, Twilight, her parents and Spike turned to look at the sleeping child.

“I think we should let her sleep with us, tonight, hmm, dear?” Velvet asked, looking to her husband.

Night Light scratched behind his head for a bit, before giving a small nod. “Good thing we still have some of Twilight’s old pajamas from when she was that age.”

Their daughter’s face turned red. “Dad!”

Author's Note:

This... didn't go nearly as long as i planned.

My original idea was what you saw, but then there'd be more after it, showing Sci Twi helping her parents with Princess Twi and maybe some other stuff, but i honestly just don't feel it right now. It doesn't help that i really wanna get back to writing a least one or two chapter of Call of a Raven, so i can introduce a plot twist no one would've seen coming... i think. maybe someone could see it coming, but i digress.

Anyway, next chapter our pony princess turned little girl will wake up and find herself with her human family and going from there until she can return to Equestria and the fun that can come along with that. and the cuteness will shine:twilightsmile:

Hope everything comes out okay and Night and Velvet's believing it all doesn't feel like a cop out. And, if you want a spoiler idea as to just why Twilight acted as she did upon seeing Velvet and Night Light, if this chapter hasn't made it clear enough, i suggest reading Looking Glass. it's a story with a somewhat similar premise and in terms out how things work for the pony character, is quite similar.

Anyway, that's all for me. got a few videos i've been putting off watching all weekend to get the previous chapter out this weekend.

Hope you enjoyed this, sorry it's shorter than the last chapter and, til next time, later everypony