• Published 17th Oct 2015
  • 3,155 Views, 21 Comments

I Don't Want to be Alone - sonaria



After the Battle of the Bands, The Dazzlings are left with nothing but each other. Even in her companions company Adagio still feels alone. Maybe her enemy is the one that can fix that.

  • ...
1
 21
 3,155

Human Tears

Adagio stepped closer to the red head sitting on the bench, who still didn't notice the ex-siren's presence. Her teal eyes and her attention were fixated on the grey sky. As Adagio rounded the bench, she saw wet streaks down Sunset's face. Something in Adagio urged to grab Sunset, wipe her tears away and hold her. She wanted to make her hurt go away even for just right now. But Before Adagio could say anything or react, Sunset noticed her and quickly wiped her face clean of tears. Her eyes remained puffy, though, and her nose was still pink, but her face was dry at least.

"Oh, hey, Adagio. What are you up to?"

The said girl stared at Sunset for a moment, "just out for a walk." Adagio sat down on the bench, some what closer to the girl than the last time they were here. She considered asking Sunset what was wrong and if she was all right. That was something friends did, right? Or humans in general? She wasn't sure if Sunset would even want to talk about it if she did ask.

"What about you?" Adagio asked.

"Mmm," Sunset thought aloud. Her gaze fell over the city. Adagio's followed, then returned to Sunset. "I didn't have much going on, I figured I'd come here and kill time."

"Mm," Adagio said unconvinced with a nod. It didn't feel appropriate to press Sunset with more questions or for the truth. Adagio assumed that if Sunset wanted to tell her what was wrong, if she wanted to talk about it with her former enemy, she would.

They didn't speak, but even in the silence she felt comfort. Adagio, recently, felt cold and empty, except when she was next to Sunset. That was the only time she felt all right.

"Sometimes I wonder," Sunset said, with her eyes still on the city, "sometimes I come here, and I think about why I'm here. I had everything I could ever want. Probably even more, but I was alone. Then, I had nothing, and no one came to me to give me the world, the girls came to me-" she paused and wiped her eyes once more, "-but only because Princess Twilight Sparkle told them to."

That settled that. It was relieving that Adagio didn't have to choose between seeming too nosy or just uncaring. It was startling, too, in a comforting way. The two weren't close, and they haven't talked much at all, but Sunset trusted her and shared her feelings with her.

"They didn't want to be your friend?"

"Twilight asked them to show me the magic of friendship. It was a favor she asked of them. They are here for me now."

"But?"

"But they still talk about what I did and who I was. I've let them know I'm bothered by it still, but they keep going."

Adagio wasn't sure what to say. No one came to her with their feelings, not feelings like this. She was used to dealing with Sonata's dramatics, or Aria's moods, but not the truly serious kind of feelings. Something in the back of her mind was slowly making its way up front. A bit of anger was forming inside her.

Birds sang their songs and the leaves rustled in the summer breeze. The sun was still hidden behind a layer of clouds and the city below continued to bustle. Sunset had her hair pulled back into a pony tail, and her bangs fell from either side of her face. Adagio opened her mouth to speak, but Sunset spoke before her.

"I'm sorry, you probably don't want to hear all of this."

"You aren't bothering me with it," the former siren half-lied.

"I understand you, Adagio."

Adagio crinkled her eyebrows in confusion. Her building anger fizzled away and her heart sped up. It was an odd thing to say. However random it was, it still caught her attention, and she wanted to know more.

"What?"

"Oh," Sunset's cheeks tinted, "I didn't mean to say that out loud."

"You did though." Adagio tilted her head slightly. Sure, she had a good idea of what Sunset meant, but she still wanted Sunset to elaborate. She leaned forward as if she would be trying to hear her better and waited.

"I know how it feels to keep everything bottled."

Adagio's eyes narrowed slightly, then returned to normal. It was true, she did keep it all bottled. Aria and Sonata would make fun of her, so she couldn't go to them with anything.

Sunset continued, "I love my friends, and I can talk to them with my problems. I can't talk to them about the ones that really bother me though." Adagio stayed quiet. "The only other person I can talk to about all of this, is Twilight, and she isn't replying to my letters," her voice was soft and wavered.

There was a short paused that quickly ended when Sunset cleared her throat. "Anyways, I know that you have those girls, but I don't think you have them to go to since you come up here sometimes."

It was pretty spot on. In fact, it was scary how accurate it was. Sunset must pay more attention to things than she lead on.

"That's right," Adagio answered, still unsure of where the former she-demon was going with this.

Sunset sighed, "what I'm trying to say is that I'm here for you, because I know how you feel and what you're going through. I'll be by your side."

Sunset's words had a bigger impact on Adagio than either of them had thought. She was breaking and she wasn't ready for it. Tears streamed down her face with out warning and she quickly came to a sob. Her face fell to her hands and her shoulders shook. It wasn't long before she felt Sunset right beside her on her left and an arm that wrapped around her to rub her right arm. Sunset gave her a reassuring squeeze.

"I'm right here," Sunset whispered. She rested her head on the sobbing girl's shoulders.

"I don't want to fall apart," the ex-siren said between sobs. She really didn't. Not in front of Sunset. It was humiliating enough, but Adagio couldn't stop herself..

"It's not an option to cry sometimes," Sunset paused and started playing with a strand of Adagio's hair affectionately, "we're only human. It's natural."

Adagio pulled from Sunset, and looked back at her with puffy eyes, "I am not human. At least I wouldn't be if it wasn't for you. I wouldn't be in this situation at all if it wasn't for you." Sunset, startled, stared back at the former siren in her sudden burst. It wasn't expected at all, and Sunset wasn't sure what to do.

Tears still flowed down her face as she let her anger explode on her new friend, "If it wasn't for if it wasn't for you, I would have everything I wanted."

"You'd feel even more alone."

Ignoring Sunset's comment, she continued, "I wouldn't be in this god forsaken hole. I'd be the one in the 'better place'," she used her fingers to gesture quotation marks in the air.

Adagio wiped her eyes and stared at Sunset for a moment. She was obviously startled, but she was holding her ground. Her eyes held concern and warmth, but her face was stern.

"Do you have any idea what you took from me? From us?" Adagio yelled her question, already knowing the answer. She wasn't sure why she asked to begin with. Of course Sunset knew how much The Dazzlings had lost. All of her anger was coming out, and she was blaming it all on Sunset. All on Sunset Shimmer, even though her friends did most of every thing.

Sunset stared back at her, with an unchanged expression. She sat and stared up at the now standing Adagio, and she waited for her to finish.

"I want my magic. I want to be able to sing again. I want you to hate yourself for what you did."

Adagio paused after she said that. She knew she didn't mean it, but it was out already. She didn't care that much anyways.

"I want to hate you."

Sunset's stern expression disappeared, and it changed to surprise. She crinkled her brows, trying to understand.

"I want to hate you and be angry at you. I want to tell you how badly you hurt me, how much you took from me." Adagio started to tremble again and her voice lost it's rage. It wavered, even though she tried to control it. Tears streamed her face once more.

"I want to hate you," she said softly.

"Why don't you?"

"I can't. I can't, and I don't know why."

The former siren slumped back into the bench and stared out at the city with watery eyes. Her lower lip quivered, and she bit it in hopes to stop it. Her attention was drawn to Sunset when her hand was taken and held tightly. Sunset had positioned herself on the bench to be facing her body towards her. Big, teal eyes stared back at Adagio. They were soft, and welcoming. Sunset didn't say anything, she only held Adagio's hand in both of hers.

"Adagio, you're stronger than you were before.I know you won't believe me, but you are. You're not alone, and I won't leave you. You actually have to believe me when I say that. You'll see that it gets easier with time, and it will, you just have to hold on."

The orange haired girl stared back silently with wide eyes. Why was Sunset saying all of that? Why was she being so caring and patient? Adagio just put everything on Sunset, and yet she was still holding her hand. Tears built back up in her eyes but didn't fall.

"You're scared aren't you?"

Adagio nodded without noticing. Sunset exhaled audibly through her nose and gave a side smile in sympathy that said 'I am too'. They sat in silence, it was a warm silence, and stared into each other's eyes.

I want you to hate yourself...

"I-I.. I didn't mean it when I said I wanted you to hate yourself," Adagio said softly

"I know you didn't," the way Sunset said it made it sound fake, but Adagio didn't pay it much mind. She looked down at their hands. It was nice to see, and even better to feel. Sunset's hands were soft. A small smile formed on Adagio's lips. There was still a small thing of guilt that rested in her stomach. Sunset was crying, and Adagio didn't help her. Instead she yelled at her. A frown took place. Surely Sunset wanted to be coddled too. And surely she wanted someone there to tell her everything was okay. Of course she did. She's just as alone as the former siren, she wants attention and comfort. Adagio was more than willing to give that to her.

She looked back up, "what were you crying over?"

Sunset looked back at her, with a small bit of surprise. She exhaled quickly through her nose again and looked down. She fiddled with their fingers and gave a small smile that didn't quite reach her eyes. It seemed like she was putting a lot of thought into her answer, and it seemed like she was on the verge of tears again, even if they never formed.

"Sometimes, crying isn't an option."

Author's Note:

Wow! Am I terrible at updating these or what? Haha, many apologies for that. Hopefully this was worth the wait, and if it wasn't, I tried.

Anyway, I wanted this to be an emotional chapter for the two but it seems a bit early for it, doesn't it? Ah well, tell me what you think about it regardless! In other words, don't forget to comment.