• Published 16th Oct 2015
  • 1,348 Views, 11 Comments

Unfashionable Closet - wingedalpha



Rarity and Fluttershy start dating, but Rarity is still closeted. Can they make their relationship work under these conditions? Can Rarity get over her fears?

  • ...
2
 11
 1,348

A Day at the Shelter

Rarity was shocked at how busy the animal shelter was. She was helping people choose pets left and right. As frazzled as Rarity felt, Fluttershy was clearly in her element. She was so happy to be helping animals, she seemed to be glowing. When Rarity got a moment to breathe, she slipped over to Fluttershy. “You’re so beautiful,” Rarity whispered in Fluttershy’s ear.

Fluttershy blushed. Before she could reply, however, Sunset and Twilight walked in. Fluttershy and Rarity walked over to them. “You came!” Fluttershy exclaimed.

“Of course,” said Sunset. “I told you I want a pet.”

“What kind of pet were you thinking?” Fluttershy asked.

“I’m not really sure,” Sunset replied.

“That’s okay,” Fluttershy said. “Well, most people get dogs.”

“I told her she should get a dog,” Twilight piped in. “But she said she didn’t want one.”

“What about a cat?” Rarity suggested. “Cats are wonderful pets.”

“I don’t know. I can’t really see myself with a cat either,” Sunset responded.

“How about a bunny?” Fluttershy offered.

“They can help you feel better,” Twilight added.

“A bunny? Really?” Sunset laughed. “I may not be a bad girl anymore, but I do still have a reputation to maintain.”

“You’re not making this easy, darling,” Rarity complained.

“I know,” Sunset sighed. “Sorry.”

Fluttershy seemed deep in thought. “What about a parrot?” she asked.

“A parrot?” Sunset repeated.

“Yeah,” Fluttershy replied. “We have this beautiful scarlet macaw that I think would be perfect for you. Do you want to meet him?”

“Sure,” Sunset answered.

The four of them went to a back room. Fluttershy left to get the macaw and quickly returned with the bird on her arm. “Wow,” Sunset said. “He’s pretty.”

“Pretty birdy! Pretty birdy!” the bird squawked.

“And he talks!” Sunset added in surprise.

“Uh-huh,” Fluttershy said. “This is Garnet. He doesn’t know a lot of words, but he loves to talk. Here, hold out your arm.”

Sunset did as she was told. Fluttershy coaxed Garnet onto Sunset’s arm. Sunset marveled at him for a few minutes. He nipped at her hair affectionately. “He’s perfect!” Sunset exclaimed.

Fluttershy smiled brightly. “Great!” she said. “I’ll go get the paperwork.”

Fluttershy hurried out of the room. Sunset smirked at Rarity. “I know you and Fluttershy are keeping this under wraps, but you can kiss her when she comes back. It’s only us right now,” Sunset told her.

“W-what?” Rarity stuttered.

“Please, Rarity. You’ve been staring at her since we came in. I’ll bet you’ve wanted to kiss her all day,” sunset said. “Not that I can blame you. With a smile that cute, I’d kiss her myself if I wasn’t taken.”

Twilight playfully glared at her and Sunset laughed. Rarity shifted nervously. If it was obvious to Sunset, was it obvious to everyone else? She certainly hoped not. Rarity began to feel sick.

Fluttershy walked back into the room with the papers. “Here we are,” Fluttershy announced. Then she looked at Rarity. “Rarity, are you all right? You look pale.”

“Actually, darling, I’m not feeling well all of a sudden,” Rarity replied.

The other three girls frowned. Fluttershy put her hand to Rarity’s head. “You don’t feel like you have a fever,” Fluttershy said. “Still, maybe you should go home and lie down.”

“I’m sure that’s not necessary,” Rarity replied.

“No, I insist,” Fluttershy pressed. “You’ve done plenty already. Go take care of yourself.”

Rarity nodded. “Very well, Fluttershy,” she said. “I’ll see you all later.”

Rarity left the shelter feeling terrible. Sunset’s words had really shaken her. It was certain, this secret would be the death of her.