• Published 4th Jul 2012
  • 2,070 Views, 43 Comments

The Legend Of Harmony: The Eternal Eclipse - Radiant Eclipse



A threat awakes and it, along with the most known and dreaded antagonists of the Mane6 and whole Equestria, wants to take revenge, overthrow the princesses and reign supreme. But there is something doubtful about the ancient threat's true intent

  • ...
2
 43
 2,070

Chapter 5: 1 Heart, 4 Minds

The defense of the princesses was shattering. The dolorous feeling, knowing that the end of a thousand years old story would reach its apex in just a few days, consumed the two like darkness consumes light. The three fillies were too young and too infantile to comprehend the situation they were in. They had just faith in her friends.

Unfortunately, the faith of the heroes diminished. They tried to hide this fact by playing up or focusing on something else, but it was obvious. Faith was not their ally. They were fueled by fear; the fear that everything might end in just some fleeting days. The surprises that overwhelmed them were no help at all, not even the great plain they were cantering through.

It rather reminded them of what they were fighting for and what they would lose, if they would fail. This made them nervous and strained, but also gave them reason and with that purpose.

If they would have known what hided in that area, they would have made a big step around it.

========

“No honey.” Rarity told her with the intention to console her. “It is just different here. The creatures in the Everfree Forest live without the help of ponies as well. You don’t oppress your animal friends. They just want to life with the most kindhearted pony in the world. You!

“And they want to live with us, under the safeguarding hooves of Princess Celestia and Princess Luna; in the safe and wonderful kingdom Equestria is.”

“I guess you are right. But it still weights heavy on my mind. I never thought that this is possible. I mean, these are the small and innocent animals we all know and love; and they live in such a… feral place.”

“Fluttershy, this is something you have got to learn and accept, hay, everypony has to accept. We always looked in our own borders and never thought beyond the edge. There is so much more to see, so much more to discover and to learn. We just mustn’t limit ourselves and our minds to what we see and know.

“This adventure may not have even started, but this is something I have learned. You have got to look outside the picture to understand what is going on. The picture we have about Pariah is nothing more than a broken jigsaw, so we have to see what is behind it. Like you said Fluttershy, there is a chance that he is good and you want to take that chance. Technically, this is the very same like this here.”

Twilight’s words filled Fluttershys mind and the minds of everyone else as well. She was absolutely right. There was nothing to regret, but something to embrace. If things were not what they seem, there was hope. Hope to finish this once and for all for the greater good.

With the feeling to have finally broken all despair and fear, they moved along; and eventually reached a lake. A lake so ginormous, it would take an eternity to cross by swimming. As the sun merely began to sink, they water reflected the light and the whole surface seemed to be made of diamonds and crystals. Like a sun in the empty void, it stood out and even the animals were fascinated by this sight. The ponies sat down at the shore and took a break: just relaxing and filling up their energy.

“This sight is truly amazing.” Rarity raved about it, even more than about the famous ponies at the festival.

“Eeyup! Like the morning dew on fresh, seasoned apples.”

“Or the song of nature…”

“Or a good, old Sonic Rainboom.”

They began to laugh when they realized that they said exactly the same back at the festival. Twilight then looked into the still azure sky and smiled, but rather cramped than normal.

“This is maybe the last time we will ever see something like this. Let’s enjoy it.”

Though the dark undertone of Twilight’s words was noted by everyone, they did nothing else but to do as requested. They were just sitting there and enjoyed it. The soft grass under their bodies, the mild wind that stroked their manes and the warm sun that gave them energy. They enjoyed it, but still, they had to continue their journey.

“So… How are we able to cross this lake?” Twilight asked her friends.

“No problem! Fluttershy and I can transport you to the other side. But it will take at least 5 minutes from one side to the other. But don’t worry about me! My wounds are healed and I feel as fit as a fiddle!”

“Twilight could also teleport us.”

“I could, but that would exhaust me.”

“Why don’t we just swim?” Pinkie Pie asked.

“No offense, Pinkie, but this is a goony idea. We would swim for about half an hour. We would be more sucked dry than a bull I rode all day long.”

“In any case, some of us will be more exhausted than the others. Shoot. If we had something like a boat... or even a giant fish.”

Like right on cue, something popped out from under water. Its waves consumed the ponies and left them wet took the air at the shore.

“Oh my dear. What was that?” Rarity questioned as she got on her hooves again.

“I am sorry! Are you all right?!” An unfamiliar voice shouted from the distant. It was the creature who created the waves. The heroes wanted to identify the creature, but because of the light reflections, they could only see a blurry shadow of something that looked like a lizard, or a snake.

Rarity suddenly recognized the voice as the unknown creature came closer to the shore. “Wait. Is it you? Is it really you, Steven?” She asked it joyously.

“Who is Steven?” Her friends asked but before they got an answer, the creature grabbed her and hugged her. “Rarity, darling.”

Their eyes focused again and then they saw what was in front of them. It was a tall, purple sea serpent, with a blond moustache and headdress. Steven, as he was referred to, cuddled with Rarity and let her down again.

“It is so good to see you again, Rarity.”

“The elation is with me as well.” Rarity replied and then she turned around to her friends. “Don’t you remember him? He helped us crossing the lake in the Everfree Forest when we were looking for the Elements of Harmony.”

Rainbow Dash was the first to remember. “Oh yes! You were that whiny hairstyle sissy who cried because of his moustache.”

“Rainbow Dash! Don’t be so discourteous and contumelious!” Rarity yelled at her.

“It is ok, darling. She is right. I overacted, but I had good reasons.” Steven said to calm her down.

Meanwhile Rainbow Dash turned to her other friends and asked them something in a whisper. “Does anypony know the meaning of these words? I don’t speak fancy.” To her resentment, she got no reply.

Rarity suspired, but then explained everything. “First, be polite to others, Rainbow Dash. Second, in case you want to know about our relationship, every now and then, I inform Steven about the newest trends and fashions.”

“She is right. Sea-serpents live rather solitary and I don’t show of myself very often, so every month, I go to the lake in Ponyville and Rarity gives me advice.”

Finally, the heroes understood and greeted Steven. For most of them, more than a year passed since their last meeting, so it was pleasance to see him again.

“So my friends. May I ask you what you are doing here at my home?”

“This is your home?” Twilight asked him.

“Yes. Well.. actually, my house is underwater, but you could consider this sea my home.”

“Interesting. Well, to be precise, we try to hinder an ancient threat from returning. This is why we need to go to the mountains. And this is why we need to cross the lake.” Twilight answered.

“Steven, would you be so kind to bring…” But she got interrupted by him. “My pleasure, Rarity. Just climb on my back and we will be ready to go.

The group did as requested and climbed on the back of the serpent. Without losing a second, Steven dashed through the water. They grabbed hold on his back, but also enjoyed the fast ride laughingly while their manes and tails waved in the wind.

Something that would have took them at least half an hour was shortened to mere 2 minutes. For the first time in this journey, they had luck and they were happy and thankful for it. Eventually, they reached the other side of the lake and climbed down Steven’s back.

“Thank you very much mister sea-serpent, sir.” Fluttershy thanked him.

“My pleasure my friends.” He said when the ponies and Spike bowed to him. They turned around and wanted to move along, but were interrupted by him.

“Wait! I have got to warn you. If you go this way, you will probably meet my neighbor. He is… quite severe and hostile towards intruders.”

“Thanks for the warning, but no need to worry. We can care for ourselves.” Applejack replied.

“Besides, we are not interested in any further trouble. We will just take a big step around him.

“Well, if you think that is enough. I will continue my dance training then. If you need help, just scream my name and I will be there.”

“Thank you Steven. See you in two weeks then.” Rarity told him while shaking his claw.

“Don’t forget the nail polish!” He shouted while the group was already heading towards a cliff and marched through the rocky narrow.

“Lipstick. Are you serious?” Spiked asked Rarity and the others began to giggle a bit in the background.

“Only for men which aren’t ashamed to go with the fashion.” She haughtily replied.

“So you like these kind of men?”

“Indeed.”

“Well.” He said while turning to Twilight. “Where can I buy nail polish, Twilight?“
Twilight groaned dispersedly and facehoofed herself. “Oh no… Not this again.”

---------------

The sky barely turned red when they reached the other side of the rocky narrow. They thought they finally reached the mountains, but they were wrong. Instead, they faced another area, thought this one was different. It was smaller in size than the plain, but still at least as large as Ponyville.

The area was swampy, but the water was relatively clear and the grass was green. There were only a small amount of scattered trees, giving the impression that this area is rather desert than utopian.

Rarity carefully put on hoof in the water and pulled it out again. Her hoof was not dirty at all, just wet, though the water still looked a bit muddy.

“So can we cross, my dear queen?” Applejack asked her sarcastically.

“Yes of course we can... you brute.” She replied provokingly.

“Hah! Impressive for a buttercup.”

“Impressive for a provincial.”

“Hahaha! I must admit, you are the biggest challenge I got so far today. Why didn’t you just nag those wolves away?”

“Why didn’t you just make them run away with your fuel body odor?”

“Hey! That is unfair! I washed myself last weekend!”

“Falling into the grape juice barrel is not washing yourself!”

They stared furiously into each other’s eyes. They gnashed their teeth and pressed their foreheads against the one of the opponent. Both snarled at each other.

“For the planets sake! Stop it and settle down!” Twilight clamored when she got between the both and pushed them away.

“You will have time to continue this when Pariah has smashed this world into pieces, but until then, quit it and get along!”

“Fine!” Both shouted and after a moment passed, they shook hooves.

“Good. Then let us continue.” Twilight said relieved, but also resentful tone. As they moved along, Pinkie Pie got in between the two contenders and tried to cheer them up.

“Come on guys. Don’t quarrel with each other and just smile. Enjoy the walk. Relax. Everything is going to be alright. No need to be tetchy.”

Both did not reply and simply looked grumpily away.

“Maybe the Smile-song will cheer you up.” She said when she took a deep breath and sang the first note.

“Oh gosh. This is going to be a very long walk.” Both said synchronously when Pinkie Pie continued to sing.

---------------

“’Cause I love to see you smile…”

“How many times do you want to repeat that Pinkie?! You already sung it five times!” Rainbow Dash shouted out loud, but then she kept her countenance again.

I am sorry Rainbow Dash, but I have to sing this until Applejack and Rarity smile again.”

They immediately put a fake, big grin on and looked in Pinkie’s face, but she saw that Applejack sweated a bit because it was some sort of lie.

“I guess I have to sing it another time.” And so, she did. But after just 5 seconds, the earth began to quake. A water fountain pour out of the water right next to the group and out of it, a ginormous being arose.

“Oh… my… goodness.” Fluttershy said when she saw the creature. They knew what it was and who it was. It was a tall like a tree, had a brown skin and 4 lizard-like heads.

“The… The hydra?” Twilight stuttered halfheartedly.

“That is Steven’s neighbor?! Rarity asked affrightedly, but before she got an answer for her rhetorical question, the hydra roared at the group to mark his standpoint.

“I am sure he is angry and pew…his bad breath smells worse than you, Applejack.”

“That was unnecessary, but I agree.”

Fluttershy sighed discouraged and spoke with the rest. “Do I really have to shout again, or can we just run away.”

“Running away sounds good.” Twilight replied and the others supported her by nodding.

They exclaimed in fear galloped away as fast as their hooves could carry them, but like the last time, the hydra chased them and ran only a little slower than the ponies. Spike latched onto Twilight’s back and was petrified.

“What is the hydra doing here!? Was the swamp we’ve met him in just some sort of summer residence!?”

“Don’t go bananas Spike and run!” Pinkie shouted.

“I don’t run! I go on ponyback!”

“Then don’t go bananas and go on ponyback!” Twilight exclaimed at him.

“Yes, mam!”

“Steven!!” Rarity shouted for help. She hoped that he would come to support them, but they ran for another minute and nothing happened. Like before, they ran out of stamina and had to slow down.

Applejack suddenly put on the break and faced the hydra.

“AJ! What are you doing?” Rainbow Dash asked her while everyone braked as well.

“If we don’t fight it now, it will be the same like with the timberwolves!”

The others tried to comprehend Applejack’s words, but before they could react, the hydra slammed one of his heads directly into Applejack. She slid over the wet ground, but kept holding the head. When she was not moving anymore, she let it loose and gave it a very hard kick right against his head; a kick strong enough to shake trees. The whole hydra staggered back and the head that was kicked by Applejack was dizzy.

“Not bad for a cowfilly, huh?” She asked him self-reliantly and tauntingly, but the other 3 heads were still fully conscious and in addition to that, they were enraged.

“These animals are beginning to tick me off!” Rainbow Dash yelled as the hydra slowly recovered from Applejack’s attack.
Twilight knew she was the leader of this group; the one her friends had to rely on. She remembered former fights. And in that moment she realized the only way for them to defeat her enemy. Without hesitation, she ejected Spike and galloped between the hydra and the rest of the group, took an instant break and turned around to speak with her friends.

“Come on! All together now!” She yelled.

Though her friends did not know what to do and Spike fell vertiginous because of the impact on the ground, they nodded and let themselves guide by their instincts.

Pinkie Pie pulled out her party canon and beckoned Twilight to come. She in return jumped right into it and Pinkie fired the canon straight to the hydras heads. The heads tried to bite her, but Twilight created a light so bright, it would even make the sun look like a firefly.

Having the hydras blinded for a few seconds, she flies behind her heads and turned around, creating several projectiles and shooting them right at the back of their heads. The impact caused the hydra’s heads to fall over and land on the ground.

But before they crashed on the soft, brownish grass, Rainbow Dash, Applejack and Rarity kicked the heads, along with Pinkie Pie shooting her party canon, back to where they come from.

The hydra tumbled around, being absolutely unable to deal with its supposed dinner. The ponies knew that it would gain consciousness back if they would not act, so Applejack rushed away.

“Pinkie! Fire Rainbow with your canon in my direction!” She yelled to them, still galloping away as fast as possible. Both had no idea why but did as commanded. Rainbow Dash jumped into the canon, formed herself into a cannonball and was shot directly at Applejack.

Applejack did an instant break and tightened, holding the pressure and focusing all energy in her forelegs. Just a blink of an eye before Rainbow Dash hit Applejack, she transferred all of her energy into her hind legs and kicked her back to the hydra.
I
n midair, Rainbow Dash began to understand and opened her wings, increasing her speed exponentially. Like a photon, she rushed with an amazing speed towards her opponent. She screamed her war cries and as she came closer. The fire inside her eyes raged like never before.

And there was it again. That total silence. Barely a hair tip of Rainbow Dash’s fur touched one of the head’s flakes and there was it. Her signature move. Her traditional Sonic Rainboom. Everyone was blinded by the colorful explosion that caused a great stir.

Everyone stood rooted to the ground but Fluttershy. She knew she had to play her role as well. She flew through the trail of dust and saw the silhouette of her best friend falling down. She caught her and landed safely on the ground while the dust blew over.

They fell on their backside and Rainbow Dash breathed a sigh of relief. “Good job, Fluttershy.” She said while giving her a pat on the back.

Then they realized that the hydra was unconscious, lying on the ground without moving just the slightest bit.

“Good night, pal.” Rainbow Dash said self-reliantly. The others joined the two and were happy that this was over.

“Man! That was amazing! You were awesome, guys!” Spiked praised his friends, being overwhelmed by the skill they showed off.

Twilight helped Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy getting back on their hooves and looked to the defeated hydra. “Harmony 1; hydra zero.”

Bringing everyone else to chuckle for a second, she turned around and spoke to her friends.

“See! This is what we can achieve. We defeated this tubby lizard nearly without effort. Whatever comes from now on can’t be anything impossible for us to deal with!” She declared to enforce the new gained self-esteem.

She smiled at the crowd, but suddenly heard a loud repine. She turned around and saw the impossible. The hydra slowly stood up again and hissed in anger. Everyone’s jaw dropped to the ground, incapable of comprehending the situation.

“What?! This… This can’t be!” Twilight yelled in despair, knowing that all their actions were seemingly in vain.

A mix of both wrath and distress graced their faces, waiting for Twilight to give orders, but she was too lost in her thoughts to be able to play her role as the leader of the group. The hydra shrieked and moved its heads close by the ponies and Spike, ready to attack them while they were standing in a half-circle.

“Stop it right there!” An unknown, yet familiar voice shouted. The hydra turned around and like it has just been drilled, it stood bolt upright.

“Steve!” The group shouted when they saw the fashion-conscious, purple sea-serpent swimming in the water right in front of the hydra.

“Didn’t I tell you that my neighbor is quite impolite?” He asked reproachfully.

“You said nothing about a hydra!” They answered irately.

“Ok, ok. Fine.” Steven then turned back to the hydra. “Don’t hurt my friends, or else…”

They hydra laughed at his menace, but its corners of the mouth turned upside down when Steven revealed a bottle; a bottle filled with liquid soap.

“That is right. If you hurt my friends any more, I will make sure it will take you years to dirty you again to look like you do now. And maybe I will clean this water here up, too. Maybe with some Shampoo, bath salt… or how about a sanitation?”
With the last word spoken, the hydra’s eyes opened widely in worries. It showed the white feather and looked down sorrowfully.

“Oh come on now.” Steven consoled him. “You are not sorry, you just fear the consequences. But, I understand you. It is part of your nature.”

Suddenly, the hydra negated Steven’s theory by shakings its heads.

“What? Then, why were you chasing them?” He asked it confusedly.

They hydra gnarled in different frequencies, mimicking the pony language like the timberwolves did.

“What? An annoying, shrill and unnerving blubbering that repeated many times woke you up?” He asked the hydra while turning back to the group.

Pinkie blushed when everyone stared at her irascibly. “Oh. Uups. Hehe, I am sorry. I did not mean to bug you out. I just wanted to cheer Applejack and Rainbow Dash up.” She said and everyone else replied with a wide, nervous grin.

“See, hydra? It was not her intention to make you angry. So would you please leave it at that.” Steve asked hopefully.

They hydra looked at the ponies and rolled his eyes, visibly being in a snit, but eventually, he nodded.

“Good. Then return to your afternoon nap.” He said while the hydra went off grumblingly.

The group took a deep sigh of relief and walked towards the sea-serpent.

“Thank you very much.” Twilight said, behaving with respect. “You helped us out today; two times to be precise.”

They bowed low again and sea-serpent began to giggle because of prudency. “Oh my. This is not necessary. Everything for Rarity’s friends. But if you would excuse me now; I really need to wash myself.”

“Oh come on!” Applejack replied. “The water is barely dirty.”

“She is right.” Rarity commented. “It is nearly like the water you are used to swim in.”

“Yes, yes. It may look so. But do you remember my threats I give the hydra. They were not empty.”

Spike did not understand. “Wait. You said shampoo, bath salt and… the installation of an sanitation.” But barely a few seconds later, they comprehended Steven’s situation and they sicken at that, taking a few steps distance to the water.

“Oh Celestia. This is disgusting!” Rainbow Dash shouted, suffering from nausea like the others.

“Yes. I’d rather not think about it and leave this area as quickly as possible. Will you make it without me?”

Fluttershy counter questioned Steven’s question. “It depends on what is to come. May I ask you, if you would be so kind mister sea-serpent sir, if there are any more neighbors that may threaten us?”

“No! Just go ahead and you will reach the entrance to the mountains. But I think it is starting to get late.” He said while staring into the sky. “You will probably need a place so sleep. I think, if I remember correctly, that there is a little coppice between this swamp and the mountains; and maybe a little cave. I would invite you, but I think you can’t breathe underwater. At least not more than 2 minutes.”

“Yes…” Rarity replied engrossed in her thoughts, but then she jumped up and got an idea. “I simply plait the grass there. So we have at least something.”

“Great idea, Rarity!” Pinkie Pie yelled in the air, but got negative response and became quiet again. “Sorry.”

“Well then. I see my service is no longer need. Have a nice day!”

“You, too!” The group answered and moved along.

As the sun was on target for sunset, they group managed to cross the swamp and they found themselves in a little, sylvan area.

“Ok, guys!” Twilight stated. “We will have night soon. Rarity, you plait us blankets. Everypony else collects all kinds of materials for a campfire.”

They immediately followed their lead and were passionate about following her lead.

---------------

A starlit night sky covered all of Equestria. It was nippy and a fordable wind scurried though the branches. But in this dark night, there was a little light that spent warmth and safety for a small group inside the heart of the wilderness, miles away from any kind of civilization they were used to.

Everyone rested under one big blanket made of all kind grasses. The ponies lay there in a row with Spike lying on top of Twilight and the ponies next to her. They cuddled up to each other to warm each other and to give solace and sympathy.
While looking at the blazing fireplace, they heard an owl bawling into the night sky. They smiled and silently enjoyed the night together. Even the fidgety Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie were calm like sleeping lambkin.

Knowing that they overcome the recent events victoriously, though they had to rely on help from others, they fell asleep felicitously; everyone close to each over, giving warmth like friends should do.

========

Though Twilight indeed recovered faith from the ripping claws of black despair and demise, she still was unable to take a rest. Even in her dreams, she could do nothing but thinking about and preparing for what is to come. Me, to be precise.

It is undeniable that they faced the hydra with bravery and fortitude, but would they have won the fight against it if the sea-serpent did not interfere? Maybe, or maybe not.

These thoughts plagued Twilight through the night. After all, what is a hydra compared to a possible demigod-like specter of darkness? A grain of dust struggling against divine winds? A little bird speeding against light itself? Or just a young filly and her friends facing me.