• Published 14th Oct 2015
  • 1,649 Views, 18 Comments

Pinkie Promise - Shaud



Maud has done a lot for Pinkie, and Pinkie loves her for it. But sometimes Pinkie thinks Maud sacrifices too much for her sake.

  • ...
1
 18
 1,649

Part Two

Over the course of the next week, the party was planned with more detail. A surprise party, with only their closest friends invited. That had been Sunset's idea, and while it was obviously meant to subdue the party, Pinkie understood why she suggested it.

Pinkie didn't want to leave. She dreaded it with all of her heart. Her friends, the Cakes, her school... She didn't want to go.

But at the same time, Maud mattered more. Maud had always mattered more.

When they were little Maud had been the best big sister Pinkie ever had, though of course she wouldn't say that to Limestone. Maud was kind and quiet, and while being quiet ran in the family... kindness did not. Their parents were forceful in their beliefs, and people like Maud and Pinkie just didn't belong. Pinkie even had regrets about leaving Marble behind, despite how it was what she wanted.

As they grew, Pinkie and Maud continued to be close in ways that people never imagined siblings could be. Closer, even, than Pinkie and Marble, despite being twins. Pinkie relied on Maud, as little sisters do, but Maud also relied on Pinkie. Pinkie's kindness and happiness shone through their dismal hometown, and she was the light of Maud's life.

On the other side, Pinkie adored Maud. She was a genius, and she knew her rocks. She could talk about rocks for hours, something Pinkie never got bored of. Maud was also stubborn, something Pinkie admired. Even the kindest question or harshest demand could be turned down by Maud, and Pinkie thought it was amazing.

They were a force that their small hometown couldn't reckon with... Though that didn't stop their parents from trying.

Maud was grounded a majority of the time. Their parents didn't approve of her love of knowledge, or her want to be more than a farmer. Her quiet defiance was enough to invoke their father's rage at the drop of a hat, and while the others in the household flinched away Maud stood firm. She would stand silent as he yelled, screamed, insulted, and she wouldn't move a muscle. She would nod, say "Yes, Father." and move on.

She was Pinkie's hero.

Years later, as she planned a party celebrating Maud's genius achievements, Pinkie couldn't help but laugh to herself. One of the things that had alienated her sister at home... They were going to celebrate.

Pinkie stared out the window to the classroom in a strange moment of calm. She sighed to herself as her conflicting feelings bubbled up within her again. Her pride and happiness at her sister's achievements battled with her own fears of leaving her friends behind. But Maud deserved better than community college in Canterlot.

A fleeting thought passed through her head, one that she barely could even grasp. Maud deserves better than me.

Pinkie shook her head and focused back on the teacher. That wasn't true. Maud loved her. They were sisters. Pinkie knew her thoughts were only just that: thoughts. They held no fact, they weren't true, and she shouldn't dwell on it.

But... They made her resolve even stronger. Pinkie would do whatever she could to make her sister happy.

Even sacrifice her own happiness.

*****************************

Maud, for her part, noticed a sharp change almost immediately in Pinkie Pie. It was subtle to most, but Maud knew her sister enough to know when things were wrong. And the last few days showed that something was, in fact, wrong.

Pinkie had been jumpier lately, which could mean any number of things. Usually it was mischief, a party of sorts. But this seemed... different. Pinkie would stare off into space for seconds at a time, or would do the same thing several times before she realized what she was doing. It was enough to really bother Maud, who wasn't used to her sister not being open with her right when a problem arose.

Maud sighed and leaned back on the couch. Pinkie was due home soon, and she hoped to have a conversation with her younger sister. Though, truth be told, she didn't know what to say.

She wanted to talk to Pinkie about keeping things from each other, but she realized how hypocritical it was when she remembered what she had been hiding, as well.

She hadn't expected to be accepted to her dream college. At least, not so soon. When she got the letter she had been happy, excited even. Her future passed before her eyes, and she felt a triumphant 'so there!' moment as she remembered her parents' doubt at her ability to move on with her life, and to be successful. Their original doubt and forbidding of further education had led to her want for more, though, so in a way she knew she owed them.

But that was all she owed them.

What she hadn't expected, though, was to be filled with guilt. If she went, they would have to move. Pinkie had already been in three different homes...

Maud thought back to their childhood, and felt a familiar bitter-sweet feeling. It had been hard, growing up on a rock farm in a small town. The only things they did related to farming or mining, and while Maud loved rocks even she knew that was restrictive. When her parents had forbidden her from taking advanced classes, she had known the rock farmer life wasn't for her.

And things only got worse from there. While their parents had never been extremely physical in their punishments, Maud was still grounded a majority of the time. It didn't mean much, though. They didn't have any toys, or anywhere to go, so groundings were more a name than anything else.

Well, there were lectures. And screaming fights. Those were bad.

Maud shuddered at the thought of how loud her father could be when he was angry. Normally a soft spoken man, Igneous could be loud and terrifying when he wanted to. Especially towards his young daughters.

Maud had left as soon as possible. Which, actually, was after she got kicked out. It had worked for the better, though, and she had never looked back.

She sighed. Maybe she looked back... Once or twice...

She had tried, though, to make their lives better. When she got custody of Pinkie she promised that they would stay together, and in one place if at all possible.

She realized if she went to that college, they would have to move. And that wouldn't really be a problem, normally. It was only a couple cities away. But Maud realized Pinkie was going to start her senior year in a few months, and she had finally gotten all of her old friends back.

She couldn't take her away from that.

So she had thrown away the letter. Sure, she could have kept it for reference, but Pinkie would have found it eventually. And that wasn't a conversation she wanted to have, mainly because she didn't know if Pinkie would be excited or terrified of moving. She didn't want to stress her little sister out any more than she had.

The front door creaked open, and Maud heard her sister step in. At least, she thought it was Pinkie. The footsteps were soft, unlike her sister's normal loud behavior.

"Pinkie? Can you come here?" The footsteps froze for a second before Pinkie bounced into the room. The grin on her face was convincing, but Maud knew a fake Pinkie smile when she saw one.

"Hiya Maud!" Pinkie sat on the couch next to her sister and kicked her feet out. "How are ya? Got any news? Anything to tell me?" Her smile became more and more forced as she spoke, and Maud frowned.

Then it clicked. Pinkie knew.

Maud studied Pinkie carefully. She only had one chance to explain herself properly, or Pinkie could take it the wrong way or assume things.

How did she know, though? Maud hadn't told anyone, and had-

She remembered the scene in the kitchen a few days before. Pinkie had been hiding... The letter. Guilt hit Maud like a punch to the gut, and she breathed out through her nose sharply. Pinkie must have thought she hid it from her, or something like that. Which she had, but she hadn't counted on Pinkie finding out.

"Pinkie... Let me explain, okay?"

"Explain what?" Pinkie shook slightly and Maud's eyes widened in worry. "Explain that my super awesome sister got into her dream school?! That's so cool, Maud! You should have told me to begin with! Aren't you excited?" Pinkie's voice went from excited to dismal quickly, and Maud lowered her head. Pinkie still shook, with excitement or anger Maud was no longer sure.

"And, and I mean! This deserves a party!" Pinkie's smile was small, but there was more sincerity in it that time, "You're brilliant, Maud! We should celebrate this not... not..."

"Hide it." Maud sighed. "I know it looks bad. But... We're just not ready to move yet, Pinkie. We'd have to find a house, and there's tuition, and you're going to be a senior soon..."

"Aw, Maud... We both know it would be easier than that. We've got enough to move, and most of your tuition would be covered. So..." Pinkie's eyes watered as she smiled, and Maud felt confused.

"I... Wait, do you want to move?" Maud had thought Pinkie would at least miss her friends. She would miss Canterlot, and her senior year, wouldn't she? Or had she not thought of that?

"Well, yeah! It would be fun!"

"But what about your friends? Canterlot? The Cakes?"

Maud watched as Pinkie's face dropped every time something was mentioned. Finally, Pinkie dropped her smile, and Maud knew something was really, really wrong.

"I would miss them." Pinkie admitted. "But... It's your dream college. I don't want you to hold back because of me."

Maud didn't have an answer for that. She blames herself? Why would she do that? Of course Maud had an idea why. Pinkie was selfless; all she ever wanted was to see others happy. If she even considered someone was unhappy because of her... Let alone her sister...

"You should go. We should go." Pinkie said firmly. "It's what you want."

"But what about what you want?"

"It's always about me!" Maud jumped back at Pinkie's tone, and watched as her sister reached her breaking point.

"It's always been what I wanted, what was best for me. You spent a year trying to get custody of me! You spent all of your savings getting a good house for us! And when I wanted to live by the Cakes, you moved us! For me!" Pinkie had jumped up and began pacing the room, and Maud longed to reach out to her.

"You've done all of this for me." Pinkie's tone was harsh and almost disgusted. At Maud or herself? The thought made Maud want to cry. "Why can't we do something for you for once?"

It would be a lie if Maud said she didn't want it. Her dream school... Years of work, finally paid off. But there was still something Pinkie missed.

"Oh, Pinkie... All of this? Everything I've done for you? This was all for me." She stood, and her eyes watered as she spoke. "Please, don't blame yourself for this..."

"Stop lying!" Pinkie begged, "Just... Please, just be... Be happy..." Before Maud could reply, Pinkie had run off. The sound of the front door slamming made Maud grimace and hang her head.

How did I mess this up that badly?