• Published 13th Oct 2015
  • 3,776 Views, 31 Comments

A Collection of Moments - wingedalpha



How do we fall in love? Is it just a collection of moments? Sunset is about to find out.

  • ...
6
 31
 3,776

Homesick

Sunset snapped back to reality as Twilight’s hand waved in front of her face. They had been studying in the library together when Sunset zoned out. She wondered how long Twilight had been trying to get her attention. “Sorry,” Sunset sighed.

Twilight’s face showed concern. “Are you okay?” she asked. “You’ve been spacing out a lot lately.”

“Yeah. It’s just…” Sunset sighed again. “I miss Equestria, that’s all. It’s really beautiful there and there are all these great spots in Canterlot. Though I think I miss magic the most.”

“But we have magic here,” Twilight replied.

“But it’s not the same,” Sunset said. “Magic in Equestria can do anything. I was always learning cool new spells.”

Twilight was silent for a moment. “Well if that other Twilight can come here, couldn’t you go there?”

“No.”

“Why not? Is it because you stole that crown?”

Sunset laughed. “I’m pretty sure Princess Twilight pardoned me. It’s just, well, if I went back there are some ponies I’d be expected to see. I’m not really sure I could handle talking to them again.”

“Isn’t there anyone you want to see? Your friends? Your parents?”

Sunset frowned. “No.”

“Why not?”

Sunset sighed. “I didn’t have any friends. As for my parents, I don’t like them very much.” At Twilight’s confused look, Sunset decided to explain. “My parents were social climbers. They taught me that everypony was there to be used. There were the ones above you that you manipulated to get a higher position, and the ones below you that you stepped on to maintain the place you already had.

“The only time they ever seemed proud of me was when I became Princess Celestia’s personal student. It didn’t last long though. That wasn’t good enough. They wanted me to attain a higher rank. I poured myself into my studies, hoping I could move up faster, but that only upset Princess Celestia. She wanted me to do other things too.”

The pain from the memories was beginning to overwhelm Sunset. Her breathing picked up and her voice took on a frantic tone. “It just seemed like no matter what I did I wasn’t good enough. When Princess Celestia said I couldn’t be her student anymore, I escaped into this world.”

Sunset’s panic transformed into anger. “That’s when I started planning to take over Equestria. I was going to show everypony I was more than good enough!” Sunset looked down and sighed. “But I screwed that up too. Guess they were right about me.”

Sunset put her head in her hands and tried not to cry. It was a losing battle. Suddenly, Twilight’s arms were around her. “I’m so sorry all that happened to you,” Twilight said. She put her hand under Sunset’s chin and forced Sunset to look her in the eye. “Sunset, you are more than good enough.”

Sunset gave her a weak smile and buried her head in Twilight’s shoulder. When she had cried herself out, she said, “Thanks. I needed to hear that. You know, I’ve never told anyone about that before.”

“Really? Well, I’m honored you trust me with this,” Twilight replied.

They stayed in the hug a while longer. Sunset couldn’t say why, but it made her feel warm all over.