• Published 16th Oct 2015
  • 3,401 Views, 55 Comments

Light in the Darkest hour: Revamped - DerpyEngi and Redd



Hello there my name is Ori, I have done many things over the years, I have gone though highs and lows, Accomplished many things and failed numerous times, but before I tell you all of this, let's start from the beginning...

  • ...
4
 55
 3,401

Chapter 1: The beginning

I woke up to the cold touch of wind gently caressing my fur for the first time. I opened my eyes to take a first look upon the world and what I saw was breathtaking.

A multitude of tiny lights sprinkled across the otherwise jet black sky, some moving, some sat still, some shone brighter than others but the brightest of them all stood proudly to the right of the sky, showering the world around me in a faint light.

I looked left to see a much brighter source of light filling the sky with an orange glow and as it slowly went down into the horizon. The light faded ever so slowly leaving behind a purple tinted sky.

That was my first sight, my first memory.

I sat there staring for what seemed like hours when I decided to sit up and see what else there was to discover. What I saw was trees surrounding the small clearing that I currently occupied and I looked down to see a few faintly glowing flowers scattered around were I had woken up. Curious I touched one of them feeling the smooth surface of the pedal.

After a bit of inspecting my surroundings I tried to move. At first I fumbled around and when I finally got a feel for my limbs I struggled to keep my footing as I continuously stumbled and fell. When I finally managed to stand up I slowly started to walk into a random direction.

After a while of walking and stumbling I started to get the hang of it as it began to feel natural and easy for me to do. My mind began to wonder as I started thinking about the little dots in the sky, about the flowers and how beautiful they were and I wanted to make something just as beautiful.

I started to concentrate on how I could make something like that I started felt a tingling sensation in my right arm. I lifted it up to eye level to see it now had strings of light flowing around my hand and when I leaned my head a little closer to get a better look I accidentally walked into a rock near the edge of the clearing, I stumbled backwards but managed to regain my footing.

I looked back up at the rock and frowned, glaring daggers at it when I heard a giggle coming from behind a nearby bush followed by a hush.

Out of curiosity I started to walk towards the bush that the voices had come out of and soon after a excited sounding voice said something I couldn't understand in a hushed tone, then another snapped back more angrily but still hushed like the first one.

I continued to walk towards the bush when suddenly a dark blue figure jumped out at me.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Luna was trotting away from the courtyard of her and her sister Celestia's castle towards the everfree with a neatly folded net floating next to her.

Celestia had gotten a pet phoenix for her 11th birthday and Luna found it unfair that she didn't get a pet too on her birthday the day before, so after not so much thinking the now 5 year old alicorn filly decided that she was going to get her own pet, so she took a net from the Hunter's hut and headed out.

'But from where?' she had thought to herself. She couldn't just go into one of the nearby towns and take a pet from them, that would be stealing. She refused to come back empty hoofed, so she stopped trotting and sat down net still floating next to her and looked around trying to find a good place to find a pet. Then her eyes met with a forest not so far away from the castle. The Everfree Forest.

Luna smiled widely as she saw the forest. Of course she would find a pet in the Everfree, there were lots of animals there, and she was going to catch one, train it and make it her pet. She just had to make sure Celestia or Starswirl wouldn't follow her. Luna looked around to see if anyone was there and when the coast seemed clear she trotted off into the forest, net in tow.

--------------

After about 3 hours later of searching Luna started to get impatient. All the animals she had found had all run away as soon as the saw her or were mean and growled at her.

It was getting dark and Luna was hungry so she started to head back. but just before she started to turn around to head back a softly glowing leaf flew past her, swiftly grabbing her attention and Luna's childish wonder took hold as she forgot about her grumbling tummy and followed the glowing leaf.

The leaf, after a rather short journey, had landed in a clearing, Luna had fallen behind, her little hooves only being able to move her so fast but when she entered the clearing the leaf started to glow brighter and brighter.

Luna reacted quickly by running to and hiding behind a nearby bush fearing what might happen.

The light only grew brighter and brighter, Lighting up the sky like a beacon and then... Nothing, the light disappeared leaving behind another glowing figure sitting in the same spot as the leaf had been and having faintly glowing flowers scattered around it.

When Luna was sure it was safe to come out a sound of somepony teleporting rang from behind her followed by a loud, "eh-hem".

At that moment the only word that Luna could think of was 'busted' as she slowly turned around to see her magic teacher and caretaker Starswirl standing behind her with a angry and disappointed frown on his face.

"Luna, what did I tell you about going into the forest unsupervised?" He asked Luna sternly.

Luna smiled sheepishly, "That it was okay if you were on a super duper important mission?"Luna answered as innocently as she could.

Starswirl shook his head and sighed "No, I told you not to, but you decided it was a better Idea to run in alone without permission." He put a hoof on Luna's shoulder. "The Everfree is not a safe place for a filly, Luna. What if a timberwolf had found you before I did?" he scolded.

Luna's head dropped in shame. She had been so excited to get a new pet that she didn't really think of that. 'But it was unfair, why did Tia get to have a pet I don't?' Luna thought to herself as Starswirl scolded her.

"Now come Luna we should get back. It's dark out, I'm hungry and I'm sure that you are too." Starswirl told her sternly.

For a little bit Luna was going to agree, she was hungry and the unicorns had raised the moon and the sun was almost completely set but then she realized something. She looked back to see the net almost completely out of sight.

He hadn't noticed it.

A smile threatened to creep itself upon Luna's face, her horn lit up momentarily to hide the net from Starswirl. Then she looked up and looked at him him her best puppy dog eyes she could muster, "Can we please stay a little longer? I just want to see the animals." Luna asked her eyes somehow getting even wider.

Starswirl put up a good fight mustering a solid, "no" but eventually caved and agreed on staying.

Luna practically beamed at the answer and turned back around to observe what had happened, Starswirl followed soon after and was confused and intrigued at what he saw as evident by his expression.

The glowing figure from before had turned out to be a small two legged animal with glowing white fur, black eyes with white pupils, a tail and what looked like four ears, two of them exceedingly larger than the other pair higher up on its scalp. The creature seemed to concentrating on its hand for some reason and didn't seem to notice a sizable rock in front of it and walked face first into the rock.

Luna couldn't help but chuckle at its mishaps, Starswirl shushed her telling her to be quiet but it was too late, the creature had noticed them and was now coming closer.

Luna was practically shaking with excitement and her horn glowed as she took the net from it's hiding spot, Starswirl quickly noticed what Luna was doing and tried to stop the little filly but was too late as she lunged at the creature, trapping it in the net.

Luna cheered in victory She had done it she'd gotten a pet! It was amazing, after three hours of searching she finally did it!

Luna clapped her hooves together in excitement, giggling and laughing, then she felt a hoof touch her shoulder.

"Luna, let it go." Starswirl said, his face not showing any distinct emotion.

Luna turned to face him with an annoyed expression, "Why?! I caught it myself and I want a pet!" she whined.

Starswirl pointed at the creature with a hoof, "Look at it" he told her.

Luna obliged and looked at the creature, her ears dropped and her smile turned into a frown.

"Does it look happy to you?" He asked her, "Does it look like it wants to be your pet?" he added.

The creature was terrified, gnawing and scratching the ropes trying to get out, breathing quickly and erratically, it was in a state of pure fright and panic.

Luna tried to reach for it but before she could even touch the creature it reared back and almost tangled itself inside the net, Luna quickly drew back her hoof, "I'm sorry Starswirl, I didn't mean to I just... just..." Luna started.

"Wanted a pet," Starswirl finished, "I know." He sighed and removed himself down to Luna's eye level. "I know that you're jealous of Celestia because she got a pet phoenix, but that is no reason to go out and get one yourself, not to mention in a dangerous place like the Everfree forest." he said.

"I'm sorry." she apologized, disheartened.

"I know you are." he said sympathetically as he took her in for a hug.

Luna said nothing and accepted the hug.

Starswirl gently stroked her mane, "Look, Luna, you can't go around and catch wild animals to be your pet, they don't want for somepony to pet them or take care of them. Most animals are scared of ponies so they avoid them." Starswirl said, but again he was met with silence.

Starswirl looked down at Luna who was now on the verge of tears, he smiled gently and broke the hug, "Luna, why don't you let it go now, so it can go its own way," he suggested as he pointed at the trapped animal.

Luna nodded and used her magic to lift the net off of the creature,"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to hurt you" her head dropped and she closed her eyes, "I'm sorry, I'm so sorry."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


'I have to get out! I have to get out!' Was all I could think of at the time, I was trapped in a net and instinct had taken over. I chewed and scratched but to no avail and then the creature tried to grab me and I reared back trying to get away from it so it quickly pulled it's hoof back and spoke. I couldn't understand anything it said but I could tell by its voice that it felt some guilt in it's actions.

I was still weary of the creatures in front of me, both being larger than me, so I continued to think of a way to get out and just then I remembered what I was doing just before being captured. I concentrated on the dots and flowers again and again I felt a tingly sensation in my arm I lifted it up too see a familiar glow around my hand and I concentrated even harder on the dots and then a glowing orb started to form just above my right hand.

When it finished forming I willed it to move to the robes and cut them but as much as I tried the orb did nothing, seemingly just passing right through them, I sighed and stopped trying, as soon as I did the orb dissipated.

I turned my attention back at the creatures in front of me and saw the larger gray coated one stretch its hooves in a gesture the smaller one seems to accept and hugged it, the gray coated one seemingly comforting the smaller dark blue coated one.

After a short period of time they broke the hug and the larger gray coated one pointed at me and said something which I still couldn't understand and the smaller one turned to me with a hung head and drooped ears, her horn lit up and the net was lifted, I was freed.

My first thought was to run and get out of there. I turned around and was ready to take off but then I looked back at the creature, it looked genuinely sorry for what it had done and this made me want to show it my gratitude so I turned back around and walked up to it, its head now hung low.

I poked its forehead, it being about twice as tall as I was and it looked up at me getting confused when it saw me. I only smiled and gave the same pose as the gray taller creature had just before, the creature's sad expression quickly turned from being sad to happy and it took me up and gave me a bone crushing hug.

'This was a bad Idea, wasn't it?' Was the only thought that came to mind at that moment as it crushed me under its hooves.

Author's Note:

well it's done, I sincerely hope that this story is an improvement and that it won't end up like my other one, so pointing out grammar issues, concerns and what you think I did wrong in the last one would be greatly appreciated.

Hope you enjoyed this chapter as more will be coming out soon.

Editor and pre-reader asked me to keep them anonymous so I will.
Also Editor: Stellar Spiral (forgot to had them so here they are)

Author: Derpy Engineer HD
Pre-reader: anonymous
Editor: anonymous, Stellar Spiral and Jacknife557