• Published 11th Oct 2015
  • 32,215 Views, 363 Comments

Finding Home - Cirrus Sky



Sunset Shimmer has to live somewhere right? But where and how did she get there?

  • ...
23
 363
 32,215

Chapter 9: Tea


With a little time to get her emotions in check, Sunset was ready to carry on. “Thanks girls.”

“Don't mention it. We'd all do the same for each other.” Applejack said firmly.

“I got as far as the going to the tea shop right? That is one of our favourite places to go now.” Sunset shifted a little to hug her knees.


As promised, the tea shop was very close to the clinic, just a few blocks away. There was parking space nearby and a few of the shops along the way were interesting too. Sunset could have sworn she saw Maude Pie in the one store, a place called Crystal Fayre.

Soon enough Sunset was sat at a table while Celestia ordered. The vast menu was easy to decipher for both of them, it seemed Celestia the principal shared the tea habit of Celestia the princess. Sunset was pleased to spot a blend that sounded familiar, one she had actually missed in her years away from Equestria.

The teen looked around the tea shop, there were few customers sat on the mixture of vintage furniture, chairs at tables or couches and comfy seats with low tables beside them. It had a very welcoming feel, Sunset hoped they would be able to visit again, maybe Rarity would enjoy an afternoon tea too.

“I've got our order.” Celestia said, a tray in her hands. She led Sunset to a place to sit, just a little out of earshot of the other customers. Soon Sunset was sat opposite Celestia with two pots of tea and a number of small cakes on the table in front of them. “Where do we start?” Celestia asked, pouring them each a cup of their selected blends.

Unsure of what to say, Sunset examined what was set in front of her while she fished for words. There were matching tea-sets with all the parts; pot, milk jug, cup, saucer and plate. The spoons were silver and the sugar bowl had cubes. Still stuck, she figured at least one good starting point.

“At the beginning?” Sunset said. Trying to think exactly where that would be.

“I suppose the beginning would be well before you came to this world.” Celestia mused, stirring her tea a moment. “Before I was Principal even.” She checked the temperature of her tea and set the cup down again. “I taught abroad with a charity after I qualified as a teacher. I wanted to see a little bit of the world and help children learn. I loved every minute of it. But I got sick, very sick.” As she spoke, Celestia knocked the teacup, it clinked in its saucer, an outward sign of her inner turmoil. “I had to be evacuated back home. The illness and the treatment, between them... I wasn't going to ever have children of my own.”

Sunset's little gasp interrupted her and Celestia smiled sadly. “At first I thought to adopt as soon as I felt I was in a stable enough situation. I wanted a child, but things never seemed right.” She shrugged. “Eventually I got the job of Principal at Canterlot High, I was working with my sister, we had a nice house... Things looked right to adopt, but no one ever seemed right. I worked a lot with Children's Services, but I always ended up matching children to other parents instead.” Celestia sighed. “After a while, I stopped looking. If there was a child out there who needed me, we would find each other.” She sipped her tea, satisfied the temperature was right.

“Then I came along.” Sunset said. Almost tonelessly, her first years had not been the best, from fish-out-of-water into a downward spiral of bullying and manipulating. She hated how she had been, but Celestia still took her in, still cared for here well-being.

“Then you came along.” The woman's smile was warm and loving. “I figured you might be a special case after a normal review of the security cameras showed the almost impossible sight of a girl walking out of the statue.” Celestia grinned and Sunset blushed. “I was curious, especially when you returned a month or so later to enrol. So I fudged some data and let you in. I regretted that at first, but that has certainly changed of late.” Selecting a treat from the plate for herself, Celestia nudged it toward Sunset. “So that brings us to now. Anything else?”

“What were you holding back?” Sunset asked, latching on to what the woman had said in the car, there was a lot to process already, but she had to know.

Celestia looked thoughtful a moment as she ate the small cake. “I had to hold back plenty. All the extra fuss I wanted to give you. Longer hugs, spending more time with you and generally sharing more affection than a house guest would expect.” She paused and picked up her drink again.. “Saying more to you.” Celestia sipped her tea. “On more than one occasion I wanted to just go ahead and ask you to be my daughter.” Celestia smiled, slightly embarrassed. “Just seeing you sat around the house, when you didn't shy away from my attempt to comfort you...”

“You want me?” Sunset said, quietly, surprised. “Even after hearing everything I did? Even after everything you saw me doing?” She'd not picked up her tea yet, instead she was listlessly fiddling with a teaspoon.

“You turned it around Sunset. You've worked so hard to become a better person and you keep on working at it. I admire that.” Celestia placed her tea cup down and took Sunset's hand. “I know about working to change yourself. It took a pretty bad shock for me to change too, you know.” Celestia shook her head, dismissing the memories.

“You were like me? How could you have ever... You're so nice!” Sunset couldn't reconcile that comment with her experiences.

“I wasn't, how did you put it? A 'raging she-demon' but I was the Queen Bee.” Celestia sighed and closed her eyes briefly. “I was very self-centred as well as popular and while not really a bully, my inaction was just as damaging. After a very bad experience I decided it had to change. Myself mostly, but I wanted to shape the attitudes of the students too. That is what led to teaching.” Celestia looked at Sunset. “I suppose it is seeing myself in you that makes me feel more than a little motherly. It's a part of the reason I would love to call you my daughter.”

“I don't know what to say.” Sunset truly didn't. This was all she had ever wanted being offered freely. “This... its...” Her hand shook in the soft grip and a thumb ran soothingly over her palm.

“Don't worry Sunset. Let's finish up our tea and our treats.” Celestia was speaking gently. “I want to give you time to think about this. I want you to be feeling well before you make a decision.”

“Alright.” Sunset sniffed and wiped her eyes, “Thank you.”

Their conversation turned to lighter matters. School social activity that had been going on while Sunset was away. Shared observations of Sunset's friends and class teachers which moved to hobbies and interests. It was a conversation they both enjoyed, getting to know one another was important before the big decision they would both have to make.

After a fair amount of tea and cakes was consumed it was time to go. Leaving the little cafe after settling the bill Sunset caught sight of their reflection in a window opposite. It made her smile, seeing her and Celestia together. It looked like and would look like to passers by, a mother and a daughter out for an afternoon.


“So, after I got better and got back to school I was able to have a really good think about things.” Sunset said, beaming to her friends. “Not that there was too much to think about. I just had to be sure that I wasn't jumping into it. I think Mom needed to be sure too, she said so many times she was sorry about bringing it up so quickly after I moved in.”

“She wanted to be your mom, I think I would be just bursting to tell anyone that.” Fluttershy's eyes had been brimming with tears for a while now. She had assured everyone it was happy ones and she was fine, but it made Sunset want to hug her. So she did.

“I think that was the case. The doctor just tipped me off. Mom said later that she'd not even realised she had said it.” Sunset was still smiling. “Though I think we were both happy she did.”

“Ah'm glad for you both.” Applejack said. “Family is one of the best things in the world and now you've got one.”

“I've got you girls too.” Sunset replied, holding out her free arm to gather the others into a hug. Applejack obliged with a warm grin.

“Yeah, but a mom is special. You've got one again and I'm so super happy for you!” Pinkie jumped in for a hug.

“Darling, this is wonderful news to hear and I am so glad everything worked out for you.” Rarity said. She leaned in. “I am also happy you felt comfortable telling us. I'll keep this under lock and key until you say the word.”

“Thanks Rarity, I appreciate it.” Sunset knew they had all learned their lesson about gossip, there was no need to tell them what had prompted Celestia's reluctance to share the information.

“You know, this is great. Now I know I'm not leaving you hanging when I go.” Rainbow joined the group hug, she'd learned to live with them. “I hated not knowing if you were going to a real home. It sounds like I was right to worry. But now its all cool.”

“I'm glad. I hated knowing that you were all worried about me. I was finding it harder to lie and I didn't want to lie at all.” Sunset basked in the warmth of feeling from all her friends. It was true, they were her family. But Pinkie was right, having a mom was the best and now they knew how happy she was about it.

The group hug ended when someone's phone played a jingle. “My bad!” Rainbow laughed and pulled out her phone. “Wow hey! It is nearly four!”

“Really? Sorry girls, I guess my story took a long time.” Sunset looked a little sheepish, she had not intended for the telling to take up their entire afternoon.

“Nonsense darling. We were happy to hear it all.” Rarity had started to help Pinkie pack away the picnic litter and the things they had brought along. “An afternoon talking with friends is just what we needed after yesterday's excitement.”

“Yeah. With all the games and the magic and then going to the park with Scoots, a chill afternoon was just what I needed.” Rainbow was pitched a ball of paper into a nearby trash can. “And we were the ones who kept interrupting the story.”

“Okay. If it was alright then never mind.” Sunset helped Applejack fold the picnic blanket. “I'll have to talk to mom about your party idea though Pinkie. She usually takes any excuse for cake, so it should be okay.”

“Yay! Party! With the welcome party for Twilight and then the birthdays...” Pinkie halted and started thinking. The other girls carried on clearing up and getting ready to go, used to the party planner getting distracted by potential parties. “Woo! I have a lot of parties to plan!” Pinkie shouted having reached her total.

That set everyone laughing.

-*-

The girls parted ways once their picnic site was cleared. The park was pretty central for all six, each took their own way home when they reached the pathways. Well wishes and goodbyes were swapped.

This time no one looked unwary of leaving Sunset to get home alone. Rainbow was again last to leave, with a fist bump and a “See yah Pony-Girl.” Sunset walked to the gate she'd arranged to meet her ride home.

“Hey Sunset. Over here.” The voice was one Sunset had come to know quite well. It meant two things. One: She would be able to tease Luna for the rest of the weekend and two: She was going to get a ride on a pretty sweet motorcycle.

“Hi Chrys!” Sunset walked over to the woman, she was still astride her motorcycle parked up at the kerb. She held a spare helmet, it was Sunset's, so she had obviously been at the house. “Is everyone else busy?”

“Your Mom was working on something in the office and Luna is in the middle of a match online so they sent me. I was just hanging around.” Chrysalis handed over the helmet and waited for Sunset to mount the bike.

“Are you still sure I can't drive this?” Sunset said as she settled into pillion position. Chrysalis rode a Harley Davidson Nightster and since Sunset had set eyes on it she had wished to take it for a spin.

“Not a chance kid.” Chrysalis grinned, it was a fair ask but it was never going to happen. “Your Mom is already pretty ticked off that I set you up with your motorcross bike. If we let her know that you had control of this one? I think she'd keel over. ”

“True.” Sunset laughed. Pretty soon she would be able to take her test to ride a bike on the street and there was an old Honda she had been working on in the garage at home, ready and waiting. She pulled her visor down and got into the right position for the ride.

This was going to be fun.

Author's Note:

Not the end! This was split off chapter 8 as it was getting too long. There is more to come until I am satisfied with the ending.