• Published 10th Oct 2015
  • 6,502 Views, 560 Comments

Trinity - MythrilMoth



Now that they've earned their Cutie Marks, the Crusaders and their new friends must discover their destinies...and the Crusaders have a greater destiny than they ever imagined.

  • ...
30
 560
 6,502

XIII. Little Ponies Need Mushroom To Roam

"Girls?" Fluttershy whispered. "You don't suppose..."

"We've traveled back in time to the founding of Equestria?" Sweetie Belle finished. "Yeah. That's exactly what's going on here."

Apple Bloom and Scootaloo stopped dead in their tracks, eyes wide. "Whoa," Apple Bloom said.

"This is heavy," Scootaloo added.

"Bwee-kee," Bumper opined.

A silence fell over the group.

"So...Discord?" Sweetie Belle suggested.

"Hmm...no, not his style," Fluttershy said. "Besides, he's spending the week in Yakyakistan pretending to be a yak so he can take part in Yikslurbertfest...whatever that is."

"Yeah, th' last time Discord took us back in time, he was there with us," Apple Bloom pointed out. "He'd pull this kinda thing on Twilight, but not us."

Scootaloo's stomach made a disgruntled noise, and she let out a moan. "Oh man," she grumbled. "I think those mushrooms did a number on my tummy."

"Mine too, now that you mention it," Sweetie Belle said. Two other stomachs rumbled in agreement. Bumper let out a squeal-snort, looking among them.

"Pardon me," Sergeant Stormchaser said, dropping to the ground in front of the group. "You say you are all suffering a malady of the digestion?"

"It...seems so," Fluttershy said. "Before we...well, earlier we ate salads garnished with some truffles we found." She paused. "Oh my. I hope they weren't...oh dear..."

Stormchaser grimaced. "Well, fortunately, we do have a healer at camp. I'm positive he can prepare a remedy."

"We'd be much obliged," Apple Bloom said.

The small group walked a long distance, the three fillies groaning and complaining about their stomachs from time to time. Their complaints ebbed when they recognized their surroundings after over an hour's walk. "Hey, isn't this—" Scootaloo began.

"—th' Whitetail Woods?" Apple Bloom finished. "It sure is." She frowned. "Wow, th' trees here ain't nearly as...well...big as Ah remember."

"I doubt they're even the same trees," Fluttershy said thoughtfully. "I mean, other than the Tree of Harmony, the oldest tree in Equestria is only about twelve hundred years old."

Stormchaser frowned. "Pardon me. I have tried to refrain from eavesdropping, but you ponies tend to say odd things which make little sense. You refer to these uncharted woods by name? You know of the age of a tree?" He tilted his head. "There is more odd about you than where I found you and your strange grouping."

Sweetie Belle stepped forward. "We're from the fu—" She was silenced by Fluttershy spreading a wing in front of her.

"I'm sorry," Fluttershy said. "Our, umm...our herd passed through these lands once before. We named these woods because of a tribe of deer that guided us through. I...I don't know if they're still here, though."

Stormchaser nodded. "Perhaps not. We have seen no sign of deer in these woods. But deer are skittish and avoid ponies." He turned. "I suppose it matters little. Let us continue. The camp is yet a distance from here."

It took another twenty minutes to reach the "camp". The fillies gasped in wonder.

"Y'call this a camp?" Apple Bloom asked. "It's huge!"

In a vast clearing in the woods stood a grand palisade of uprooted logs, the tops sharpened to points. Rope and plank walkways above the palisade held earth pony sentries, while pegasi flew about overhead. Six guards—two each of unicorn, pegasus, and earth pony—flanked the interlocked logs that formed a gate through which the group could see bustling activity amid a veritable city of tents.

"This is Camp Giddyup, where the three tribes have come together to lay the groundwork for living together in peace," Stormchaser said. "Come, I will find a spare tent for you and fetch the healer." He led them to the gate, where he nodded to the guards. They cast a dubious gaze over the group.

"Stormchaser," one of the other pegasi said, "who are these ponies?"

"Stray travelers," Stormchaser said. "I found them by the edge of the cursewood. They need rest, warmth, and a visit from the healer."

"Children? In the cursewood?" a unicorn guard asked, rearing in alarm. "What's in your head, lass?" he spat at Fluttershy.

Fluttershy cowered. "It, umm...it's a long story," she whispered.

"Hey! Don't yell at her!" Scootaloo shouted, bristling. "She hasn't done anything wrong!"

Stormchaser spread a wing, fixing the unicorn with a steely gaze. "I will do any asking of questions," he said. "And any berating of pegasi that need berating. You need but open the gate to allow us inside."

The unicorn glared at him, but nodded to his companion. Their horns glowed, and the gates opened. The little group was ushered through, and Stormchaser led them on a winding path through tents, piles of crates, and ponies moving to and fro. Finally, he reached a tent which appeared vacant and ushered them in. "You may rest here," he said. "I will see to it that warm broth is brought to you, and the healer will attend to you as soon as he's free."

"Thank you," Fluttershy said. Once Stormchaser withdrew, the group laid down on piles of fluffy straw and thick fleece blankets.

"Is it just me, or are the tribes kinda...still fighting?" Sweetie Belle asked.

"But that doesn't make any sense," Scootaloo said with a frown. "The Fire of Friendship fixed...well, everything, right? Ponies should be all friends now!"

Fluttershy sighed. "I'm pretty sure our Hearth's Warming stories are, well..." She paused to choose her words delicately. "They tell the important parts, but leave out some...details."

"Y'reckon maybe it took longer'n jes' one night an' one day fer ponies t' come together an' really achieve peace?" Apple Bloom asked.

"It seems that way," Fluttershy said. "I mean, they did have generations of distrust and aggression to overcome. I doubt they really came together as one nation until, well...until they finished building that nation together."

"Huh," Scootaloo said, scratching her head with a hoof. "So what do we do now?"

"Well, in all the stories I've read," Sweetie Belle said, "time travelers either have to fix a problem to make sure history goes the way it's supposed to, or they have to avoid doing anything to change history."

"Umm...I vote for not changing history," Fluttershy said. "I say we find a way to get home as quickly as possible."

"I'm all for that," Scootaloo said. "But how?"

"I'm afraid I don't—" Fluttershy broke off, eyes wide. "Wait! I do know who can help us!"

"Princess Celestia?" Sweetie Belle suggested hopefully.

"No, but close," Fluttershy said. "If we're at the beginning of Equestria, then he's alive. And he created the only time travel spells known to exist!"

The fillies looked at each other. "Who?" Apple Bloom asked for the group.

"Starswirl the Bearded!" Fluttershy exclaimed. "If anypony can help us get back to our own time, it's Starswirl!"

"Oh yeah," Apple Bloom said. "He was Clover the Clever's mentor, right?"

"Hello?" a voice called. A dark blue stallion poked his head into the tent. "I was told there are sick ponies here?"

"Oh, you must be the healer," Fluttershy said. "Yes, we...our tummies hurt a little. We, umm...we ate some mushrooms earlier that might not have been very good for us."

The healer entered fully. "Oh dear," he said. His mustache, a light silver in color, twitched worriedly. "What do you remember about these mushrooms?" Even as he spoke, he began spreading out tools and powders from his saddlebags.

"They were black truffles," Scootaloo said. "Big, kinda bumpy, just...pure black."

"Hmm," the healer mused. "Were they growing on a tree or under a rock?"

"Under a rock."

"Well, black truffles are generally not dangerous," the healer said. "How do your stomachs feel now? Worse than before, or better?"

"A little better actually," Fluttershy said. Her cheeks colored. "Umm...I've been, kind of, umm...passing wind on the walk here. I think...that helped."

The healer chuckled. "Ahh, yes." He put away half of the things he'd taken out and began mixing something which fizzed. He filled four small cups and passed one to each pony. "Well, the mushrooms you ate weren't toxic. But apparently they were very gassy. Just drink this, it'll help with the gas."

"Thank you," Fluttershy said sheepishly. The fillies all giggled as they took the medicine. Once Fluttershy was finished, she asked, "Excuse me, but we were wondering..."

"Yes?"

"Is...is there any way we might be able to arrange a meeting with Starswirl the Bearded? We...we need his help with something. A spell."

The healer frowned. "Well...I don't know where he might be found, but his apprentice is in the camp. She's been rather busy lately, but I'll ask her to stop in and visit."

"Thank you," Fluttershy said. She yawned mightily. "Well, girls, I suggest we get some rest. We could be here a while."

* * * * *

Two hours passed. Warm, delicious broth had been provided. In between sips of broth, Fluttershy and the fillies had discussed their situation, trying to figure out how they ended up in their current predicament, but ultimately getting nowhere. They decided to rest until Clover the Clever arrived.

"Excuse me?" a soft voice called, rousing Fluttershy from a light slumber. She blinked her eyes opened sleepily and looked to the tent flap. A unicorn mare with a pale green coat and a vibrant dark green mane which was cut in a short, tidy bob stood in the entrance. She wore a plain burlap cloak; the hood was folded down around her neck.

"Oh, hello," Fluttershy said softly. "Please, come in."

The mare entered. "My name is Clover the Clever," she said.

"Starswirl's apprentice," Fluttershy said, nodding. "Thank you for coming, we're in a real bind."

"Yes, I was told you wanted to meet with my master," Clover said, taking a seat on an empty bed as the fillies woke up. "I'm afraid he's been gone for some time—he isn't even aware of the pact to create a new nation yet. At least, I don't think he is. I mean, sometimes he disappears for many moons at a time, and yet seems to know what's happening back home better than most ponies..." She paused, then blushed. "Sorry. Sometimes I...ahem."

Fluttershy giggled. "You remind me of a friend of mine. Oh, my name is Fluttershy. These fillies are Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle, and Scootaloo."

"Buki!"

"Oh, and that's Bumper."

Clover nodded to each in turn. "I'm pleased to see a group of ponies such as yourself traveling together, though I admit I'm also a bit confused. I mean, three young fillies, each from a different tribe—"

Fluttershy held up a hoof. "Miss Clover," she said, "I can explain, but the explanation may sound a bit...strange."

"Alright, I'm listening."

Fluttershy took a deep breath. "We're from the future," she said. "Well over a thousand years in the future, actually. We have no idea how we ended up here, but what's happening right now, the founding of Equestria? It's our ancient history. We put on pageants at Hearth's Warming every year where ponies play you, Smart Cookie, and Private Pansy and celebrate your defeat of the Windigoes."

"The three of us have been best friends for years," Scootaloo said. "We all got our Cutie Marks at the same time." The Crusaders showed their flanks proudly.

"We live in a town called Ponyville, where all types of ponies live together in harmony," Apple Bloom continued. "It don't exist yet, but it'll be in that big valley yonder, between these woods an' th' Everfree Forest."

"We're going to need Starswirl the Bearded's help to get home," Sweetie Belle said. "We don't belong in this time, we've got friends and families back home that we want to see again."

Clover sat back on her haunches, considering this with wide eyes and a contemplative frown. "You say you're from the future?" she asked. "But...time travel...it's not possible..."

"It's possible," Fluttershy said. "Your own mentor, Starswirl the Bearded, will discover time travel spells at some point. We've, umm...we have a friend who's had a little...misadventure or two with those spells."

"Hmm." Clover pursed her lips. "Well that sounds like something he'd do."

"We don't know how we ended up in your time," Fluttershy said. "I mean, one minute we were eating lunch, the next we woke up from an afternoon nap in a cold empty field that should've been my warm comfy living room."

"Please, Miss Clover," Apple Bloom said. "We need your help. We need Starswirl th' Bearded's help."

Clover sighed. "Well, of course I'll help you," she said. "Your story is a bit far-fetched, but I can sense you're telling the truth, and if you are indeed from the future, this is a matter that demands my master's immediate attention." She frowned. "I suppose I'll have to use the emergency contact spell he created..." She stood, trotting outside. Curious, Fluttershy followed her.

A small cart was parked outside the tent, loaded with magical supplies. Curled up atop the cart on a pile of old blankets was a small sapphire-scaled dragon. "Oh my," Fluttershy said.

"It's quite safe, I assure you," Clover said. "Young drakelings such as Sulfur here can actually be quite pleasant."

"Oh, I know," Fluttershy said with a smile as Sulfur opened orange eyes that shone like jewels and regarded them lazily. "I happen to have a very good friend who's a dragon just a little younger than this one, his name is Spike."

"Spike, huh?" Sulfur asked, digging in one earfin with a claw. "Sounds like something you'd name a pet." He glanced at Clover. "Well?"

"Just a moment, Sulfur," Clover said, rummaging through her supplies for parchment, ink, and a quill. "These ponies have an emergency, I need to send a message to Master Starswirl straight away."

"Ugh," Sulfur complained. "I wish the old fart never invented that spell. I'd rather be lying on a rock in a volcano than hanging out with you ponies playing messenger."

Clover frowned. "Now, Sulfur—"

"Let me," Fluttershy said. She leaned close. "Sulfur? You don't really mean that, do you? Have the ponies mistreated you in any way?"

Sulfur frowned. "Well, no," he admitted. "Actually, they're pretty nice. I mean, okay, so blankets and pillows and hay are more comfortable to lay on than rocks. And I guess maybe ponies have pretty good food."

"And?"

Sulfur rolled his eyes. "Okay okay, so maybe it's nice to have somebody to talk to who can think about more than gems and belching. I mean, don't get me wrong, gems and belching are great, but these unicorns come up with some pretty neat stuff." He sighed. "Okay, okay, so maybe the ponies aren't so bad."

Fluttershy smiled. "There, that wasn't so hard now, was it?"

Sulfur snorted.

Clover eyed her, visibly impressed. "Wow. You're good."

"Oh, I just know my dragons."

"Well, I've got the message ready to send," Clover said. "Sulfur, if you would please?"

"Yeah yeah," Sulfur said. He took the scroll from Clover and breathed emerald fire on it. It burned away, becoming a stream of sparkling smoke that disappeared into the distance. He smirked at Fluttershy. "Bet your buddy Spike can't do that!"

"Actually, he can," Fluttershy said.

Sulfur blinked. "But...I'm the only dragon who can—"

He was interrupted by a loud crackle of static. Clover and Fluttershy gasped as their hair stood on end. Tiny bits of dust and rock in the clearing rose off the ground. A low hum filled the air. Ponies milling about the camp stopped still, looking around wildly.

The hum rose to a high, whining pitch. A bright flash of light lit up the camp.

Bells jingled.

A wizened stallion with a long, white beard stood a short distance from the two mares, his blue cloak trailing the ground. The bells on his floppy hat jingled as he turned to regard them.

"Clover," Starswirl the Bearded said with a nod of greeting. "Sulfur." His gaze turned to Fluttershy. "And you, my dear pegasus...if what you say is true, we have much to discuss, and it is imperative that we find a way to return you to where you belong as swiftly as possible."