• Published 25th Oct 2015
  • 941 Views, 6 Comments

Rise of the Maximals - Jongoji245



A New Timeline version of how the Maximals were formed.

  • ...
6
 6
 941

New Neighbors

Estes Park, Colorado. May 22nd/2005

As the sun rose high over the mountainous region of Colorado, the city became crowded with people as they resumed their daily business. Adults went to work, their children were just about to finish their school year.

When the sun's rays reached Hydia's residence, it was much different place than what it was eight years ago. The vegetable garden was long gone, replaced by trash over the years. The house itself has become what the neighbors call dark dank and dreary. How they were able to keep the authorities away is unknown, especially since the house is home to a child.

Speaking of whom, a much older Sunset Shimmer awoke when the sun's rays shined on her face. The girl stepped out of her crudely made bed and walked to her cracked mirror. With a mere huff, she pulls out a hairbrush that almost had no bristles, what should have taken a few brush strokes took around one hundred.

"Sunset," - Shouted Hydia from behind the door - "where are you!"

Sunset put down the brush, "Coming, mom!"

Quickly putting on her shoes, Sunset quickly ran down the stairs and met her "mother" glaring at her.

"What did you call me?" Hydia hissed

"Sorry, Hydia." Sunset apologized

"You should be," - the aged woman stepped towards her adopted daughter until she fell on the stairs - "because now you have a lot of work to do." - Hydia walked away before stopping and turned around - "three months worth if I may add."

Sunset groaned at that statement. The joy of being at school five days a week for nine months was so she could be away from her home.
Picking up a trash pick and garbage bag, Sunset walked to the trash infested garden. A few hours into her work and Sunset managed to fill 10 heavy duty trash bags. She took out a water bottle when a banana peel landed on her head. Sunset turned her head to find Reeka and Draggle lazing on a garbage pile. Reeka ravenously wolfed down one sandwich before moving on to the next one while Draggle laid underneath the shade of a torn parasol. The much older red head watched Sunset return to her work before looking at her sister.

"Reeka, why don't you help Sunset?" - asked Draggle

"What?!" - rebuked Reeka - "I helped her the last time! I'm eating!"

"Oh yes," - Draggle added - "always eating."

Sunset ignored their banter and continued her work.

"They haven't been any help anyway." Sunset whispered to herself.

A few minutes of trash picking and she found something of an oddity, a hole in the wall, no doubt as a result of lack of maintenance over the years. Being located far into the trash heaps, this could provide a good getaway spot. Throwing away the trash pick and garbage bag, Sunset was about to enter the hole when-

"Sunset!!" Roared Hydia.

Defeated, for now, the child drew away from the hole, picked up the pick and trash bag and ran back to her home.


Just a half hour away, an Isuzu Rodeo and a moving truck drove towards the city. In the car, Clamp Jaw and Claire, now expecting her second child, sat in the front while Cosgrove, now six months away from his sixth birthday slept in the back. Clamp, because of his daring behavior, was removed from Utah's SWAT force when both he and his wife were offered positions for the Estes Park Police Department. When they reached the metro, Claire turned her head to her dormant son.

"Cosgrove, we're here."

Cosgrove slowly awoke, rubbing his face with his three-fingered hands. Upon seeing the crowded city, Cosgrove leaned on the windows of the car, his face beaming as he watched the children play and adults walking up and down the streets. Their destination, however, takes them away from the town. Their home was in a much more sparse location, with trees both alive and dead clouding the backside of their home. Parking the truck near the driveway and their car at the front yard, the Thunderfoot family stepped out onto the ground of Colorado. Clamp Jaw, Tremor, and the truck driver began unloading the truck while Cosgrove helped his mother walked inside.

"Well, what do you think, Cosgrove?" asked Claire while looking at her son.

"It's great," - Cosgrove turned to an empty space - "right, Dapplewood?"

Claire raised an eyebrow as Cosgrove listened to nothing. He started doing this in pre-school when his classmates started teasing him. With a new child on the way, this could change.

"Honey, why don't you-" - Suddenly Claire felt a sharp pain before stumbling onto her knees.

"Mommy?" - Cosgrove asked.

Claire was breathing rapidly, "Go get your father."

Cosgrove ran as fast as his legs could to Clamp Jaw and began tugging at his pants.

"What's wrong, Cosgrove?" - Clamp Jaw looked at the house before running inside to meet up with his wife- "Claire?"

"It's time..."

Tremor watched Clamp Jaw carry his wife back to the car and drove away in a blink of an eye. Cosgrove tugged at his grandfather.

"Will Mommy be okay?" Asked Cosgrove with a sad look on his face.

"She will, Cosgrove." - Tremor rubbed his grandson's head - "She will."

As Tremor helped the truck driver bring the boxes into his house, Cosgrove dug into one of the boxes with his name labeled on it and pulled out a ball.

"Come on, Dapplewood!" - Cosgrove turned to his imaginary friend - "Let's play!"

Cosgrove kicked the ball around the truck and followed it far from the house. His grandfather was about to grab the opened box when he noticed Cosgrove was missing.

Cosgrove kicked the ball hard into the air. When it landed on the hill, it rolled down fast until it bumped into a leg.

"Ha!" - Cosgrove reached the ball - "Beat ya, Dapplewood!"

When he reached for the ball, Cosgrove stopped and looked up at the person in front of him. It was a girl slightly taller than him, with peach skin with lighter blotches across her body and face.

"Hi!" - Greeted Chelsey, causing her visitor to fall onto the ground. Curious, she also fell back onto the dirt, using her legs to drag herself towards him - "I'm Chelsey!"

As soon as he saw her stretch out her hand, Cosgrove pulled his hands back. The slightly taller child furrowed her eyebrows before flat out pulling out one of his three fingered hands. Cosgrove winced, ready for whatever teasing this stranger is going to give him. What happened was not what he expected; Chelsey positioned his fingers and did a handshake.

"What's your name?" Asked Chelsey.

"Cosgrove." - the boy then turned to his imaginary friend, wrapping his arm around the empty air - "and this is Dapplewood."

Though plain as day, kid's their age would believe just about anything. Chelsey grabbed the imaginary friend's hand and shook it.

"Aw, Chelsey!" - The two children turned to find another girl about three years older - "What has Mom told you about playing in the-"

"Look, Janey! Friend!" Chelsey answered.

The older sister gave a smile, "Haven't seen you around here, what's your name?"

"Cosgrove!" - The children turned again to Tremor walking towards them - "Don't ever run away like that again!"

Tremor picked up his grandson and walked back towards home. Chelsey picked up the ball they left behind.

"He seemed very sweet." Janey added.


It was well into midnight. All the boxes were stacked into their owner's respective rooms. Cosgrove was dead asleep in his room, all snug in his temporary stand in bed. His grandfather is still awake, waiting for his son and daughter-in-law to come in with the new arrival. Tremor bided his time by going deep into a crossword puzzle from today's paper, occasionally taking a sip of coffee to remove the sleep from his eyes. Ten till one in the morning, the door handle began to wiggle.

...

As the sun rose once again, Cosgrove awoke to the smell of burning food. When he walked into the living room, he saw his mother and father together, the former holding something in her arms. Cosgrove walked towards them.

"Cosgrove," - Clamp Jaw looked at his first child - "meet your brother, Dapplewood."

Cosgrove looked closer to find a light tan child with a small tip of yellow-white hair coming out of the head cover.

Cosgrove gently rubbed his newborn brother's cheek, "He is real..."

They were then interrupted by a series of knocks on the door. Cosgrove and his father walked to the door and opened it, revealing Chelsey, Janey and their parents, the latter of whom tower over Clamp Jaw's already tall stature.

"Hi there!" - Announced Large Marge - "Our daughters found your son yesterday and we would-"

Clamp Jaw shushed them, "There is a child asleep upstairs."

"Oh, sorry." - Big Hooves apologized - "Can we take this inside?"

Clamp Jaw glared at his first child before turning to his neighbors, giving them a snide grin.

"Please..." The man of the house answered, waving his arm to let them in.

The two eight-nine foot adults walked inside, followed by Janey and Chelsey, who gave Cosgrove back his rubber ball. The family grouped together in front of Claire and the newborn.

"Oh my," - Large Marge lowered her massive upper body towards the baby - "congratulations!"

When he opened his eyes for the first time in his life, Dapplewood saw the towering figure. Scared, Dapplewood began to cry, but no sound was heard. The neighbors and Cosgrove were confused as Claire calmed the baby.

"Mommy," - Cosgrove asked - "is Dapplewood broken?"

"Cosgrove!!" - Berated Tremor

"Dad, please." - Clamp Jaw lowered himself to his son's height - "This is complicated, but Dapplewood won't be able to talk."

"What do you mean, Daddy?" - Cosgrove asked confusingly.

"When you get older," - Clamp Jaw rose to his full height - "you'll understand, son."

Cosgrove looked at his baby brother as he calmed down. What will become of him? How will he go through school? The future has much on its mind, pray that it will be kind.


June 4th, 2005

With Summer Vacation rolling about, the risk of crime increases. Having recovered from the birth, Claire joined her husband in the police department, leaving only Tremor to care for the two children over the summer. It became apparent that a sitter will be needed.

One day in his room, Cosgrove was playing with a two-month Dapplewood when a knock was heard.

"Hello, I am here for the babysitter position." said a voice.

"Ah, come in!" Tremor greeted

Cosgrove turned to the sounds of footsteps approaching the door of his room. When his grandfather opened the door, Cosgrove saw a slightly blue skinned woman with long brown hair and violet eyes alongside him.

"Cosgrove, Dapplewood," - Tremor announced - "I would like you to meet Night Dancer."

The young adult crouched down to their height.

"Hello, Cosgrove." - Said Night Dancer

As if there was some form of spiritual bond, Cosgrove immediately hugged Night Dancer to her surprise. Tremor widened his eyes, amused by this action.

"He likes you already!" - Tremor walked up to them - "when would you like to start?"

Calming herself, Night Dancer turned to the grandfather.

"I can start today..."