• Published 13th Oct 2015
  • 2,142 Views, 39 Comments

The New Timeline - Jongoji245



With a remaining tear in space time, a new timeline is formed.

  • ...
10
 39
 2,142

The Crystal Empire (New Timeline)

Author's Note:

Originally, I was going to have this in two parts like that of "A Canterlot Wedding," but after writing Part 1, I found that there was very few words, so I combined the two.

One Thousand Years before Today

Outside the city of Canterlot, thousands of troops march out, ready to give their lives for a just cause. Back at the castle Celestia and Luna don armor as the blacksmith sharpened their weapons.

"Princess Celestia!" Radiant Hope begged "Please take me with you!"

"We have been over this, child." - Celestia answered - "It is too dangerous for you to come with us."

"I know Sombra, give me the chance to reach out to him!"

"I'm sorry, but you're needed here."

"Yes, your Highness." Radiant Hope lowered here head.

Today

Back at her throne, Celestia stopped signing bill as she recalls the memory from so long ago, a few hours in immortal time. Kibitz noticed her sad expression.

"Is there something troubling you, Your Highness?"

Celestia took a deep breath, "Its quite sad when you can recall a sad moment in a life as long as mine."

Just as Celestia placed the quill back on the page, the doors slammed open as one of the Royal Guards rushed in.

"News from Northern Equestria!" - He sheepishly takes off his helmet in respect - "Uh... Your Highness."

Celestia gently lowers the stack of paper, "Yes?"

"I am simply to tell you that it has returned."

Princess Celestia's eyes widened before turning to the guards in front of her, "Find Princess Cadance and Shining Armor."

"Yes, Your Highness."

As the guards cleared out of the throne room, Celestia takes out a scroll and in haste wrote: "My dearest Twilight, you must come to Canterlot at once."

Just as soon as Twilight recieved the scroll, she assumed all possible outcomes, the most important of which is a possible pop-test. Inside the library, Twilight ran around panicking, her faithful assistant watched while holding an empty sack.

"Where are all my quills?"- Spotting her writing utensils, Twilight levitated them and fired at the sack before starting to levitate several books - "No, no, no, no, no... Ugh! I need the Magical Compendium volumes 1 through 36! Where is it?!"

Just at the door, Applejack, Rarity, Fluttershy, Pinkie Pie, Rainbow Dash and Sunset Shimmer looked at each other as they were mused by the panicky Unicorn. Twilight did uncover the Compendium; a book that exceeded even her size and with the weight to match as it fell on Spike.

"Flash cards! I should make some flash cards." - She turned to her assistant - "Spike, I'm gonna need you to quiz me. On everything. Everything I've ever learned. Ever." - Twilight paused for a moment - "That isn't going to be enough cards."

"Twilight, calm down." - Spike placed the items aside - "It's just a test."

"Just a test?" - Spike said the worst possible thing to say to Twilight as she sized up to him - "Just a test!? Princess Celestia wants to give me some kind of exam, and you're trying to tell me to calm down because it's just a test?!"

Expecting the worst, Spike pulls out an army helmet and a suit of pillows.

"Uh... yes." - Spike shut his eyes hard, expecting Twilight to explode.

With a snarl, Twilight's horn began to light and fizzle, gradually lighting up the room. The other six Ponies dashed out of the room, with a good enough distance to Sugar Cube Corner just to be safe. A few seconds later, Twilight's anger made the tree jump a few hundred feet before descended back to it's place. Walking back inside, they found the entirety of the library, books, living spaces, all scattered about on impact.

Applejack crossed her legs, "I'd say she's handling things pretty well, considerin'."

Back at the palace, the Royal Sisters looked at a stain glass window of Shining Armor and Princess Cadance performing their protection spell to banish the Changelings.

"Are you sure you don't want me to go as well?" Asked Luna.

"Yes." - Princess Celestia answered, not taking one look at her sister - "Princess Cadance and Shining Armor are already there. The others will be joining them soon.

Worried, Luna turned to her sister. "The Empire's magic is powerful. It cannot fall again, my sister."

"She will succeed at her task." - Celestia reassured - "And when she does, we'll know that she is that much closer to being ready."

"Ahem."

The Alicorns turned to see Twilight at the doors, prepared to the tooth with test taking materials.

Celestia turned to Luna once more as the latter walked out of the hall - "Trust me, little sister."

Bogged down with materials, Twilight staggered down the hall, dropping books and quills.

"You wanted to see me? To give me a test? I brought my own quills and plenty of paper to show my work." - Bumping into Luna by accident, she showed just how much paper she had brought as it rolled to it's full length to Celestia's shoes - "Sorry, sorry!"

"This is a different kind of test." - Celestia quickly rolled up the parchment and brought the spilled items to the sack - "The Crystal Empire has returned."

"The Crystal Empire? I'm sorry, I-I thought I'd studied." - Twilight search through each of her books for any context of the location - "Ooh. I don't think there's anything in any of my books th–"

"There wouldn't be." - Celestia interrupted - "Few remember it ever existed at all. Even my knowledge of the Empire is limited." - Pulling out a crystal from the land - "But what I do know is that it contains a powerful magic."

Under her magic, Celestia had the crystal bring forth an illusion of the Crystal Empire at it's prime. It lives up to it's name, the streets and buildings were made of crystals. Even the fur of the citizens had a crystalline glow to them. Twilight admired the vision before the land became ravaged with blackened crystals. On the balcony of the castle, a pony-like creature watched as obsidian-black crystal ponies lead the enslaved inhabitants, now without their usual glow.

"One thousand years ago, King Sombra, a unicorn whose heart was black as night, took over the Crystal Empire."

Sombra looks up to find the past versions of Celestia and Luna about to cast a spell.

"He was ultimately overthrown, turned to shadow, and banished to the ice of the arctic north."

Just as they had banished him, the princesses watched the Empire disappear before them.

"But not before he was able to put a curse upon the Empire. A curse that caused it to vanish into thin air." - Lifting the crystal into the sun, the prism illuminated the halls in lovely colors - "If the Empire is filled with hope and love, those things are reflected across all of Equestria. If hatred and fear take hold..." - For the first time in Twilight's eyes, Celestia's eyes had a green glow as she unleashed a dark magic on the crystal. In the shadow beneath, jagged crystals jutted out of the red rug. Using light magic, the cursed rocks were destroyed - "Which is why I need your help finding a way to protect it."

Twilight drew her ears back - "You want me to help protect an entire empire?"

Princess Celestia brought the crystal back into it's container - "It is, as I said, a different kind of test. But one I'm certain you will pass."

"How do I begin?" Twilight rose to her full height, confident to take the test.

"By joining Princess Cadance and Shining Armor in the Crystal Empire." Twilight joined her mentor as she walked down the hall.

"My brother is there?"

"He is. And your Ponyville friends will join you there as well. I have every confidence you will succeed. And when you do, I'll know you are ready to move on to the next level of your studies."

Twilight turned to find Princess Luna looking down at her, not at all confident with her ability.

Twilight eyed Celestia, "But what if I fail?"

"You won't."

"But what if–" Twilight felt a hoof on her shoulder.

"You won't. But Twilight, in the end, it must be you and you alone who ultimately assists Princess Cadance and Shining Armor in doing what needs to be done to protect the Empire. Do you understand?"

Twilight gulped as she hid her fear.

"Mm-hmm!"

"Then go. There is no time to lose." The two princesses closed the doors to the hall.

Twilight made a brisk pace to the outside world, seeing Spike at the bottom of the stairs.

"Ah! Twilight! That was fast!" - Spike walked backwards in front of her - "Let me guess, you got a perfect score?" - Twilight didn't answer - "A-minus?" - Spike raised a fingure - "B-plus?" - Spike noticed Twilight's head lowered - "Twilight, did you... fail?"

[Twilight Sparkle]
I was prepared to do my best
Thought I could handle any test
For I can do so many tricks
But I wasn't prepared for this
Levitation would have been a breeze
Facts and figures I recite with ease

Looking at an equation, Twilight answered, "The square root of five hundred and forty-six is twenty-three point three six six six four two eight nine one zero nine."

"She is correct!" the professor justified.

[Twilight Sparkle]
I could ace a quiz on friendship's bliss
But I wasn't prepared for this
Will I fail, or will I pass?
I can't be sure...

[Spike]
She can't be sure...

[Twilight Sparkle]
My mind is sharp, my skills intact
My heart is pure...

[Spike]
Her heart is pure...

[Twilight Sparkle]
Oh, I've taken my share of licks
I've made it through the thin and thick
But no I wasn't

[Spike]
Oh no, she wasn't

[Twilight Sparkle]
Oh no, I wasn't

[Spike]
Oh no, she wasn't

[Twilight Sparkle]
No I wasn't

[Twilight Sparkle and Spike]
Prepared... for this!

Twilight, still in doubt, and Spike returned to the train station before the latter became dumbfounded.

"Uh, prepared for what exactly?" Spike asked.

"Twilight!" - Applejack, Fluttershy, Rarity, and Rainbow Dash were waiting for her - "Uh, did you pass?"

Pinkie Pie bumped Spike over with a loaded party cannon, "Are we gonna celebrate your awesomeness with Princess Celestia?"

"Not quite." Twilight answered, not quite to Pinkie's expectation - "We're going to the Crystal Empire!"

"Crystal what?" Her friends mumbled to each other.

Using the Royal Train, our heroes travel to the frozen north. Despite it being so close to Summer, the arctic winds blew like mad over the snowy terrain. The train stops at an abandoned station, releasing the Mane Six into the cold world.

"Ha!" - Rarity scoffed as she wrapped a scarf around her neck - "And you all made fun of me for packing so many scarves."

Scarves weren't the only things; Rarity also brought most (if not all) her clothes, as shown by Spike lifting several bags.

"I didn't say a word." the dragon grunted before slipping on an ice slip.

"Twilight!"

Twilight looked into the foggy horizon to find a silhouette of a unicorn coming towards them. "Shining Armor?"

As the figure got closer, it was indeed Shining Armor in winter garb.

"Twily! You made it!" - After a quick hug, the situation became serious again - "We'd better get moving. There are things out here we really don't want to run into after dark."

"What kind of things?" Fluttershy gulped.

"Let's just say the Empire... isn't the only thing that's returned." - Shining lead the others throughout the frozen wilderness - "Something keeps trying to get in! We think it's the unicorn king who originally cursed the place."

"But Princess Celestia said I was being sent here to find a way to protect the Empire!" - Twilight responded as she shook the snow off her muzzle - "If King Sombra can't get in, then it must already be protected."

Suddenly a black crystalline hoof jutted out of the snow between the Mane Six and Shining Armor. As it pulled itself out of the snow, several others surrounded them. The only indication of life they had was a red glow where the eyes were.

Fluttershy shuffled back, "Th-That's one of the things, isn't it?"

One of the soldiers charged at the Mane Six before Shining stood in between and fired a spell similar to what Celestia showed Twilight, shattering the creature into a thousand pieces. Twilight was about to join the fight when a loud howl, as if a person in agony, disturbed the howl of the wind. Shining looked behind to see a glowing pair of eyes in smoke.

"We have to get to the Crystal Empire, Now!" No questions asked, the Mane Six, Spike and Shining Armor raced away as fast as they could. Being bogged down with clothes, Spike hardly caught up with them when Shining flung him away onto his sister's back.

Twilight looked back to see the King roaring to his soldiers, "Tear... Them... Apart!!!"

Shining Armor spotted a blue shield in the fog.

"Almost there." - Shining Armor stopped and turned around. Twilight saw this and tried to turn around - "I'll be fine! GO!!"

Hesitant, Twilight rejoined the others as her brother destroyed the charging soldiers one by one before Sombra solidified himself before the Captain. With a growl, the King fired a blast from his crooked horn before it being locked by Shining Armor. Hard as he tried, the favor was not with the Unicorn. The Mane Six and Spike continued their mad dash through the shield, instantly changing their setting from a frozen waste to a mammoth steppe.

"Everypony okay?" - Asked Twilight as she gasped for breath.

As the others agreed with each other, Shining Armor belly flopped through the shield, making it out of the battle with only the tip of his horn shrouded in dark crystals.

Noticing the condition, Twilight ran up to him - "Oh, no! Shining Armor, your horn!"

Shining tried to perform a spell, but the crystals prevented the aura from fully wrapping around the horn. Twilight and Shining joined their friends as they took in the splendor of a restored Crystal Kingdom.

"Sparkleriffic!" Shouting Pinkie Pie.

Despite the absence of the townsfolk, the city was still a wonder to look at as they walked to the castle.

"It's gorgeous! Absolutely gorgeous!" - Rarity took this site very well as she kept swinging her head around - "There are no words!"

"Focus, Rarity." - Applejack snapped - "We're here to help Twilight, not admire the scenery."

"Eh, I don't see what the big deal is." - Rainbow Dash yawned - "Just looks like another old castle to me."

Rarity was dumbfounded with what Rainbow had described the Crystal Palace - "A– p– guh! Another old...! Have you lost your mind? Look at the magni–" - Rarity then noticed Rainbow Dash and Applejack snickering as they bumped their hooves in approval - "Very funny."

In the throne room where the first Princess Amore sat, Cadance sat in on the crystalline seat performing a similar protection spell. Having done so for a long while on an area much bigger than Canterlot, fatigue has crept up to her.

"Cadance!" - The Princess woke up to find Twilight walking up to her.

Despite her condition, Cadance still had quite enough energy to join Twilight in singing: "Sunshine, sunshine, ladybugs awake! Clap your hooves and do a little shake!" before starting to cringe in pain.

Recovering, Cadance commented, - "One of these days we need to get together when the fate of Equestria isn't hanging in the balance."

Twilight drew her ears back as she looked at her former foalsitter's condition when her brother walked next to her.

"Cadance has been able to use her magic to spread love and light. That seems to be what is protecting it. But she hasn't slept, barely eats. I want to help her," - Shining tries casting a spell again - "but my protection spell has been countered by King Sombra."

Cadance looked at her husband with tired eyes, "It's alright Shining Armor, I'm fine."

"She's not fine." - He rebuked - "She can't go on like this forever, and if her magic were to fade..." - He looks at the horizon - "Well, you saw what's out there waiting for that to happen."

"That's why we're here." Twilight hugged her brother.

"Why we're all here." Applejack added, something which everyone else in the room agreed.

This comforted Shining, but not by much. "Well, with Cadance putting all her strength into keeping her spell going, and me trying to keep an eye on signs of trouble in the arctic, we haven't been able to gather much information from the Crystal Ponies."

Rarity jumped up in joy, pushing her cheeks in a big smile. "Crystal Ponies?! Hahaha, there are Crystal Ponies?!" - Rarity looked at the surprised looks on her friend's muzzles - "Um, ahem. Please continue."

"But we have to believe one of them knows how we can protect the Empire without having to use Cadance's magic."

"A research paper!" - Twilight interjected, much to her brother's confusion - "That must be part of my test – to gather information from the Crystal Ponies and deliver it to you!" - She then squeed in delight - "This is gonna be great! I love research papers!"

"Yeah, who doesn't?" Rainbow whispered to Pinkie Pie.

"Oh-oh-oh!" - Pinkie jumped around - "Lemme guess! Is it Spike? Nono, Fluttershy! Rarity?"

"Don't worry, big brother. I am really good at this sort of thing." - The next half hour jumps ahead to Twilight just in the midst of asking one of the inhabitans - "Are you sure? Absolutely sure?"

"I'm sorry. I wish I could help you." - Jewel Joy lowers her head - "But I... can't seem to remember anything before King Sombra came to power." - Suddenly she had a flash back of her being beaten by one of his soldiers - "And I don't want to remember anything about the time he ruled over us."

"King Sombra's spell must be why their coats aren't..." - Twilight examined the shine-less inhabitant - "crystally."

Jewel Joy sniffled. "Have we really been gone a thousand years?" - She watched Twilight nod - "It feels like it was just yesterday."

Twilight Sparkle coaxed the Crystal Pony, "If you think of anything, even the smallest thing..."

"Of course." - Jewel Joy walked back into her lightless home before closing the door.

"Well, that was a total bust." Spike walked down the stairs.

"Maybe the others are having better luck." Twilight Thought to herself.

Rainbow Dash was hovering above another Crystal Pony in her attempt to find a way to save their home. "A way to protect the Empire! You know anything about it or what?"

The Crystal Pony sadly just walked away. "I wish I could help you. Really."

Rainbow Dash zoomed to her. "Hold on!" - Rainbow nudged her - "You gotta know something!"

"But... I don't have any information." - Just as she walked away again, Rainbow face hoofed herself.

Another distance away, Fluttershy was trying to converse with the inhabitants as they pass by her.

"Oh, um. Excuse me! Oh! Hello! Umm, I was just wondering." - Fluttershy looked to find a depressed couple at a restaurant table. Furrowing her brow, the yellow Pegasus trotted over to them and raised a hoof up high as she readied to slam the table - "Oh, oh, that's okay, um, you all look really busy." She hovers away with a nervous laugh.

Pinkie Pie took the search much more proactively, wearing a Splinter Cell styled costume as she bounded from building to building. She spotted another couple looking at the Crystal Palace.

"Time to gather some intel!" Climbing down, Pinkie snuck up to the couple.

"It just feels like something is missing."

"I know. It looks the same, but it doesn't feel the same."

"Because it isn't!" Pinkie Bolted.

The two ponies gasped at Pinkie Pie before dashing away, "A spy!"

"A spy? How did they know?" - Pinkie looked up to notice the a pair of night vision goggles strapped to her head - "Ah! Must have noticed my night vision goggles." - Putting them on, Pinkie's vision was a series of blue-greens - "Ooh! Night vision-y!" But in broad daylight, the goggles proved ineffectual as she slammed into a light post.

Rarity, believing herself to be a Crystal Pony, talked to the public in the town square. "And when you flip your mane, it simply must create a rainbow of color." - Rarity turned away as she coddled her hair - "Oh! Wouldn't I look just magnificent? So sparkly!" - Disturbed and slightly embarrassed, the public merely snuck away while she wasn't looking.

Reuniting underneath the Palace, the Mane Six and Spike give off what they have.

"I got nothing so far." Rainbow sighed.

"Oh, me neither." Rarity moaned.

Twilight turned to see Fluttershy walk to her with a stern look on her face. Putting a hoof to her face, the pony before her was in fact Pinkie Pie in disguise as she unzipped the costume.

"My cover has been blown." - Pinkie tapped Twilights head - "I repeat, my cover has been blown!"

Just as Pinkie left them, Twilight found the real Fluttershy walking towards her. "Ooookay."

"Sorry, Twilight." - Applejack apologized - "These crystal ponies seem to have some kinda collective amnesia or somethin'. Only thing I was able to get out of 'em was somethin' about a library."

That last word brought a smile to Twilight's face. "A library?" - She puckered up AJ's face - "Well, why didn't you say so?!"

Immediately she dashed off towards to library.

"Uh... thought I just did." Applejack answered before she and the others trotted towards the ecstatic Unicorn.

The library, like the other buildings in the Crystal Empire, was a very elaborate piece of work. On the front door, two crystalline Griffon statues stood side by side. When Twilight opened the doors, she took in the splendor of how the books were arranged

"I just..." - Twilight plopped to the floor, staring in awe at the collections - "I don't even know what to... There are no words."

"Ahem." - The joy stopped when the group found the librarian, a mare around the same age as Loopty Hoop - "May I help you?"

"Yes." - Twilight walked up to the librarian - "We're looking for a book."

The Librarian walked a hoof around her - "We have plenty of those."

"You do." - Twilight was still in the moment - "You really do."

Applejack walked up to the librarian.

"We're lookin' for a history book. Somethin' that might tell us how the Empire might've protected itself from danger back in the day."

"Yes. Of course." - She places a hoof to her chin - "History, history..." - Suddenly it clicked - "Ah, yes."

The Mane Six's eyes and smiles widened as they waited their answer. After a while of awkward silence, Twilight dropped the smile.

"Which is where, exactly?"

"I... I can't seem to remember." - Amethyst Maresbury looked around nervously - "I'm not sure I actually work here."

Rainbow groaned in frustration as she slapped herself on the face, stretching her muzzle as she slid her hoof down.

Twilight wasn't that much so. "We'll just take a look around." - Twilight and most of her posse walked down the stairs - "I'm sure we can find it on our own."

"Let me know if you find anything." - The Librarian finished before walking away.

"I like her!" Pinkie joined the others.

But a library this big would make finding a history book a needle in a hay stack as each pony (and dragon) split up to find it. Over time, hours have passed to the point that Applejack asked, "Uh, anyone else startin' to think this is a lost cause?"

In a conveyor belt of magic, Twilight skimmed each title of the book before moving it aside. "No, no, no, no, no..." - She was just about to pass a book before taking a second glance and grabbing it - "Yes! 'History of the Crystal Empire'. I just hope it has the answers we need." - Showing before Twilight and Shining Armor, Twilight read - "A 'Crystal Faire'. According to this book, it was established by their first queen and became their most important tradition. The Faire was held every year to "renew the spirit of love and unity in the empire so they could protect it from harm". My friends and I could put it together. Everything we need to know is in the book!"

"That sounds pretty promising." Shining smiled before returning to his ailing wife.

"We'll get started right away." - Twilight walked away, revealing Spike being used as a pedestal - "C'mon, Spike, we've got a Crystal Faire to put together!" Opening the doors to a meeting room, Twilight reconvened with her friends as they plan the festival.

[Twilight Sparkle]
Princess Cadance needs our help
Her magic will not last forever
I think we can do it
But we need to work together
We have to get this right
Yes, we have to make them see
We can save the Crystal Ponies with their history

[Rainbow Dash]
It says that they liked jousting

[Rarity]
They flew a flag of many hues

[Applejack]
Made sweets of crystal berries

[Fluttershy]
They had a petting zoo with tiny ewes

[All]
Oh, we have to get this right
Yes, we have to make them see
We can save the Crystal Ponies with their history

[Pinkie Pie]
There was a crystal flugelhorn
That every pony liked to play

[Twilight Sparkle]
And the Crystal Kingdom anthem
Can you learn it in a day?

[All]
Oh, we have to get this right
Yes, we have to make them see
We can save the Crystal Ponies with their history

At the end of the song, Twilight looked at the various festival exhibits and activities they had set up.

"It looks amazing! I don't know how I could've done this without you!" - She looks to the book again - "One last check to make sure everything is in place, and then the festivities can begin!"

"What's this thing for?" - Twilight turned to find Applejack tapping a carve piece of crystal with a heart shape on top.

"The last page of the book mentioned a Crystal Heart as the faire's centerpiece, so I used my magic to cut one out of a crystal block."

"Nice work, Twi." - Applejack complemented on the craftsmanship - "Think we're ready to get this faire up and runnin'."

High on the balcony, Pinkie Pie took a deep breath before blowing into the flugelhorn, drawing out a daft note as Twilight, Cadance, and Shining Armor walking out of the castle.

"Hear ye, hear–" - Twilight was interrupted again when Pinkie tried a second time.

Opening her eyes, she meet to confused looks of the other three before slowly drawing awaying.

"My bad."

Clearing her throat, Twilight started again. "Hear ye, hear ye! Princess Cadance and Prince Shining Armor do cordially invite you to attend the Crystal Faire!"

Hearing the last two words made the inhabitants spike their interests, literally brightening their coats as they walked towards the faire.

"Come on in, y'all." - Applejack lead them around - "Got food and drinks thataway, games and crafts are thataway, Crystal Heart to the back near the Princess."

"Did she say... Crystal Heart?" One of the Crystal inhabitants asked, causing a little stir with the others.

Rainbow flew to one of them.

"We totally nailed it, right?" - startled, the Crystal Mare ran away before being caught up - "Must be feeling a lot of love and unity about now!" - Rainbow caught up to the pony at a food stand - "Gonna have some grub, huh? What are you thinking? Crystal Empire berry pie? Maybe some crystal corn-on-the-cob!" - Just as she showed the vegetable, she found no one in front of her - "What is with these ponies?!"

Jewel Joy, along with another name Fluer de Verre, walked around, their coats still in a depressive state.

"Seeing all of this, I feel like I'm starting to remember." - Jewel Joy thought - "Remember things from before the king."

"Me too." Added Fluer

It took them awhile before their faces beamed and their coats brightening up. "The Crystal Heart!"

"Do you think they really have it?" Fluer asked of Jewel when Rainbow Dash zipped over to her.

"Of course we have it! Can't have a Crystal Faire without the Crystal Heart, right?"

"Of course you can't. " - Amethyst answered - The whole purpose of the Crystal Faire is to lift the spirits of the Crystal Ponies, so the light within them can power the Crystal Heart, so that the Empire can be protected!" - remembering all that, her coat brightened up from a dull grey to a light lavender - "I do work at the library!"

Rainbow's eye twitched as Applejack joined in, "W-what's that about 'powering the heart'?"

"I just can't believe you found it. King Sombra said he'd hidden it away where we would never see it again! I only hope it will still be as powerful after all these years...!" - The Librarian turned to a funnel cake stand - "Mm, funnel cake!"

Rainbow Dash twitched at that fact before zipping into the air, grabbing a flag, soared over to palace and draped the sculpture while Twilight was still paying attention to her book.

"Why did you–"

"I think we may have a problem..."

Back at the balcony of the palace with Cadance and Shining Armor, Twilight hastily flipped through the pages of the book.

"I didn't know it was an actual relic! The book didn't mention anything about the Crystal Ponies powering the Heart!" - Twilight found that the last page of the book was torn - "There was a page missing... How did I not notice?!"

Cadance began to wobble. "It's alright, Twilight."

Shining Armor was able to catch his wife from falling onto the floor. With her fainted, the protection spell was turned off, exposing the empire to the wind... and Sombra, laughing in delight as his soldiers marched their way towards the border.

Shining Armor drew his ears back - "The Empire is under attack."

While still in her husband's arms, Cadance strained herself to bring the shield up once more. Angered, Sombra raced to the grassy border, but was too late as the spell chipped off the tip of his horn. He growled in pain as the tip of his horn fizzled into the ground, oozing dark magic.

Shining Armor began walking back inside. "I have to find the Crystal Heart!"

Twilight stepped in front of him. "No, you stay here with Cadance. She needs you, Shining Armor. I'll retrieve the Heart."

"Let's do this!" Rainbow jumped and followed Twilight inside.

"I've been trying to figure out how I'm meant to pass Celestia's test. Retrieving the Crystal Heart must be it." - Twilight turned her head to Rainbow as she galloped down the halls - "But there is something else you can do."

Rainbow caught up to her, "Name it."

"You and the rest of our friends have to keep the Faire going."

"What?" - Rainbow protested as they went down the main staircase - "With that thing moving into the Empire?"

"The whole purpose of the Crystal Faire is to lift the spirits of the Crystal Ponies, so they can activate the Crystal Heart."

"Yeah, and?"

"If the Crystal Ponies find out that King Sombra is trying to take over the Empire again, their spirits are gonna be anything but lifted." - Twilight busted out of the door where Applejack was keeping the heart hidden - "It won't matter if I find the Crystal Heart. They won't be able to make it work. You have to keep them happy here at the Faire."

"Keep the Faire going and the Crystal Ponies' spirits high." - Rainbow saluted - "Done and done!"

"Twily," Shining Armor called from up high - "be careful."

Twilight smiled, "I will."

A great distance from where Twilight ran off to, the dark magic began to jut out a crystalline claw.

Back at the Faire, the Crystal Ponies started gaining their confidence again as they ate their favored food and played their games. Rarity was in the middle of making accessories out of weavings with Spike when Rainbow hovered at her ear. Hearing her plan, Rarity found that the Crystal Heart was still needed to be found.

"Huuuuh?" - Rarity pawed her mouth, noticing the attention of her guests - "I... just found out they're offering face painting for the little ones." Rarity held Spike like her own child just long enough for the citizens to walk away with their bought merchandise. Putting him on the floor, Rarity quickly whispered into Spike's ear.

"Uh-huh... We can do that.... Twilight's doing what?!" The young dragon ran clean away, drawing attention again from the inhabitants.

"He... really... loves getting his face painted. Haha."

As Twilight walked through the Faire, Rainbow Dash grabbed the flugelhorn on the table

"Who wants a flugelhorn?"

While in a jester's costume, Pinkie cried, "I want a flugelhorn!

Rainbow rolled her eyes, "Who else wants a flugelhorn?"

Pinkie started a tantrum, "I want a flugelhorn!!"

Twilight tried to piece together the clues before turning to the Palace again.

"Twilight, wait!" - Spike caught up with her, catching his breath - "I'm coming with you!"

"You can't." - Twilight began walking back towards the Palace - "I have to retrieve the Crystal Heart by myself."

"I know." - Spike shook his head before catching up to the Unicorn - "I promise I won't lift a claw to help you." True to his word, Spike wrapped his arms together, not exposing a single finger.

With a sigh, Twilight levitated her assistant onto her back, "Not a claw, Spike."

Immediately she raced forth to the Palace so fast that it was a surprise that Spike was able to hold on without using his arms.

"Where are we going exactly?"

"I think I might know where King Sombra hid the Crystal Heart."

Spike looked up in the direction they are going, "The castle?"

"The king would've been counting on the fact that nopony would dare come looking for it here. They'd have been too afraid to even try."

"I hope you're right."

"You and me both." Twilight agreed as they entered the palace.

Back at the center courtyard, Applejack kept a nervous eye as she kept the mock up hidden when a sudden gust of wind made her jump. Rainbow Dash kept a more stern eye at the inhabitants. One of them was happily minding his business when Rainbow jumped at him.

"What are you lookin' at?!" - since he has known fear for quite a while, the Crystal Pony backed away from the Blue Blur - "That's what I thought!"

Applejack pulled Rainbow down to the ground. "Uh, Rainbow Dash? We're supposed to be actin' like nothing's wrong."

"Exactly." Rainbow spotted two of the Crystal Ponies before landing in front of them, growling like a bulldog.

"What I mean is," - AJ pulled Rainbow's ear closer - "maybe you should let me keep the Crystal Ponies away from the fake Heart, while you show off your joustin' skills.

Enticed, Rainbow grinned. "Huh. Seeing my awesomeness does have a way of putting ponies into a pretty good mood."

A distance away, Fluttershy was at the petting zoo, watching over the animals as they played with the citizens when Rainbow wrapped a hoof around her.

"Come on, "Knight" Fluttershy. It's showtime."

Applejack was leaning on the mock up when she saw a Crystal Pony walking towards her.

"How are y'all feelin'? Havin' a good time?"

"The best I've had in over a thousand years!" Jewel Joy tried to see the "heart" before Applejack started walking forward.

"Well, that's good! Gotta renew that spirit of love and unity if you're gonna power up that Crystal Heart, right?"

"I sure would like to see it before the ceremony." - The Crystal Mare tried to get a glimpse, but each time she shifted her head, AJ would get in her face - "It's been such a long time."

"Oh, I hear ya, but, uh... phew! Gettin' a little toasty out here." - Applejack pointed to a beverage stand - "Bet you'd like to cool off with a little Crystal Empire nectar!" - turning around, she found another trying to look at the mock up - "Uh, you tried the Crystal Empire fritters yet? Made from a traditional Crystal Empire recipe! You're gonna love 'em!" - Noticing another walking by, AJ tossed the fritters aside, leading the pony she was talking to away - "Uh, I hear there's a joustin' match about to start! You don't wanna miss that!" - The farmer chuckled before looking up at the ceiling, wondering why it is taking so long - "Come on, Twilight... These Crystal Ponies are more curious than a cat!"

Inside the halls, Twilight and Spike race back and forth as they continue their search for the heart.

"It's gotta be here somewhere. It's just gotta be!" - Twilight looked through a bookshelf when she noticed her compadre peeking under a rug, both hands exposed - "Not a claw, Spike."

"Uh..." Spike drew his hands back.

"Celestia's orders!"

Twilight just passed the throne room before taking a second glance. One of the centerpieces on top resembles the one Celestia has in her possession.

If the Empire is filled with hope and love, those things are reflected across all of Equestria. If hatred and fear take hold...

"Of course!" - Spike suddenly rammed into her, flopping back to the ground.

"What? Did you find it?"

"No." - Twilight started walking towards the throne - "Because this isn't King Sombra's castle."

"Well, isn't this where he lived when he was in power?"

"It is. But it didn't look like this."

Twilight closed her eyes, straining herself as her usual aura gradually faded to black as dark magic seeped through her eyes. Firing at the crystal, the tainted object casted a shadow that revealed a staircase below.

"Whoa." - the young dragon looked down at the spiral staircase - "When did you learn to do that?"

"That was a little trick Celestia taught me." - Twilight lit up her horn and began her journey downstairs. With a nervous gulp, Spike was about to join her when - "You stay here."

"Huh, if you insist." - Spike stepped back from the staircase, rocked back and forth for a while before looking down again - "Can you see what's down there yet?"

"Not yet. - Twilight's voice echoed from below - "I can't even tell how far down this goes!" Breaking a piece of crystal, she drops it down the shaft. After a moment of waiting, Twilight cleaned out her ears just when a soft "clang" was heard down below - "Spike?"

"Yeah?"

"Can you see outside?"

Spike looked out one of the windows to see the shield fizzling in and out. Outside, Sombra watched as the dark magic inside brought forth a few new soldiers into the city.

"Yesss..." - Sombra chuckled - "Leave no one to run!"

"It's not good!" - Spike hopped down and ran back to the staircase - "Cadance's magic must be fading faster than before!"

Now the pressure was on! Twilight ran faster down the stairs like the fate of the world depended on it (in fact it was for the fate of the world). One of the steps gave to her weight, causing the Unicorn to trip and roll the rest of the way. Before she could be given any more punishment she performed the levitation spell on her again. Opening her eye, she found that she was already at the bottom.

"Twilight?" - Twilight looked up to see the practically microscopic dragon - "Are you okay?"

"Yes..." - Twilight turned to find a door. Just when she was about to open it, the door began sliding away from her. Moving from wall to wall, the door seemed to outsmart her - "Stop..." - In her anger, the aura in her horn became black again - "moving!" - with a shot of dark magic, the door stopped and opened on it's own, illuminating the tunnel in a white light - "Spike, I think it's here!"

Twilight ran through the light, running ever deeper until the light faded away.

She did not find the Crystal Heart. In fact, she wasn't where she should. She was back in the halls of Canterlot.

"What are you doing here?"

Twilight turned to find Princess Celestia writing a series of army drafts.

"I don't know! I opened the door and–"

"And now you must go."

"Go where?"

"Doesn't matter to me." - Celestia turned a glare at her student - "You failed the test, Twilight!"

Twilight was horrified, the first mentioning of the word "fail" from the Alicorn's mouth.
"I don't understand!

"Not only will you not move on to the next level of your studies, you won't continue your studies at all!"

"I..." - The now former student welled up - "You didn't say anything about no longer being your student if I failed!"

Celestia gently wrapped a wing around her before jerking her forward and walking away.

"Didn't I?"

Twilight looked up find a stained glass window showing Sombra returning to power, damning the Crystal Empire as he defeated her. His laughter echoed the halls, scaring Twilight to tears.

But in truth, Twilight was just staring at a solid wall behind the door, her eyes green and red.

"Twilight! [closer]" - The silence of the cave was disturbed as the young dragon ran down the stairs - "Twilight? Twilight! Twiliiiight!" - Twilight snapped out of the trance before looking upstairs - "I know you told me to stay up there, but you were down here for such a long time and you weren't answering and I got worried so I came down here and you were just staring at that wall and... I was calling your name, but I couldn't seem to get your attention, and–" - Spike cocked his head - "What were you looking at?" - As Twilight watched from behind the opened door, Spike approached the wall - "I mean... it's just a wall.

Twilight watched the centerpiece glow a dark magic, putting the reptile into a trance like she did.

" ...Ponyville?! Well, how did I get... No! I don't wanna go! Please, Twilight, don't make me!" Spike was just about to cry when Twilight slammed the door shut.

"King Sombra's dark magic: A doorway that leads to your worst fear."

"We were home. You told me you didn't need me anymore. " - Spike rubbed the tear from his eye - "You were sending me away..."

Twilight hugged her little "brother". "A fear that will never come to pass. I'm never gonna send you away. And I'm not gonna fail my test!"

Using her own magic this time, Twilight opened the door again, this time revealing an empty room.

"What's in there?"

Looking up, Twilight groaned.

"Stairs." - A whole column staircase - "Lots and lots of stairs." - Twilight walked a few steps before turning to notice Spike leaning on the door, his arms crossed once more - "Maybe you should come with me this time."

Back outside, time was running out as Cadance began to expire once again. Sombra laughed as he watched his soldiers come ever closer to the Palace.

Speaking which, several of the Crystal Ponies cheered on as Rainbow Dash donned armor, wielding a lance on her left side. As she blew kisses to the audience, her combatant arrived, but not at all willing to fight. Pinkie Pie entertained the crowd in her jester's costume when she saw the protection spell flickering on and off. But with company to entertain, Pinkie sounded the flugelhorn. Rainbow wasted no time and ran down the arena. Fluttershy began to run, but as the lance drew near, she stopped and winced before she was "impaled" and flung into the air.
The crowds cheered Rainbow Dash' name as the victor trotted to her friend lying in hay, trying to catch her breath.

"Isn't there... somepony else who could... take over the jousting demonstration with you?"

"The fate of an entire empire rests on us showing these ponies a good time. " - Rainbow scoffed - "But, y'know, if that isn't important to you..." - taking a second glance, she found Fluttershy crying - "Okay, okay, I'll take it easy on you next time." - Fluttershy drew her ears forward and smiled - "But not too easy." - the joy died away - "I've got a reputation to maintain!"

Just a few blocks away, the dark magic blackened a building as Sombra's soldiers were just there.

Back inside, the journey up the staircase seemed to take forever. Twilight and Spike were now dragging their bellies up the flight now.

"What if this is just more of his magic?" - Spike crawled to the edge of a step, looking down at the tremendous height - "He makes a door that leads to your worst nightmare. Why not a staircase that goes on forever?"

Twilight stopped and examined the staircase. There were hundreds of thousands of steps to go before they could ever reach the top. But there was one important detail that she could use to her advantage.

She levitated Spike onto her back.

"Hold on to me." Exerting her power, Twilight managed to do one of the impossible: changing her gravity to allow her to slide on the smooth surface under the steps.

Back outside, the Crystal Ponies now saw the dark magic transforming their homes as several started running away from the soldiers as they smashed through the stands. The majority of them stood just below the Palace, each one being denied access to see The Crystal Heart.

"Excuse me, pardon me..." - Rarity, just barely escaped from one such dreadnaught, trotted towards Applejack before pulling her ear - "I am running out of weaving materials for the traditional crafts booth! I just made a hat out of three pieces of hay and a drinking straw! I made it work. But still!"

"We gotta do everything we can to keep this thing goin'." - Applejack looked to find Cadance's aura flickering out - "The Princess isn't lookin' so good. I can't imagine her magic is gonna last much longer. It's gonna be fine. These ponies are gonna power up that Crystal Heart when the time comes, and we won't be needin' her magic anyway."

"I sure hope that time comes soon!" - Pinkie Pie was juggling several flugelhorns while balancing on a ball - "Even I can't keep this party going forever!"

From afar, one of the dreadnoughts flung a spear at the stand, tipping it over and revealing the fake heart to the public.

"This isn't the Crystal Heart."

Rarity stamped her feet around nervously. "Oh, of course it isn't. The real one is–"

"On its way!" Applejack blurted out, only to add more to fear of the people.

"I was going to say 'being polished' to buy us some more time?" Rarity spoke through her teeth.

"Oops."

The crowds turned around to find the dreadnoughts just a few meters now before they charged at them. The Crystal Ponies screamed in terror as they fled for their lives.

Back inside, Twilight was having a blast as she and Spike slid up the staircase.

"Whoooooahahaha! I actually studied gravity spells, thinking it might be on my test! Turns out I was prepared for this! Wooo-hooo!"

Just before being launched off the tower, Twilight switched her gravity, thumping back down onto the floor. Looking up, they found it. The Crystal Heart was floating along the center of the alcove. Knowing that Spike cannot grab the heart, he motioned Twilight to get it. At last, her test can be completed.

Or so she thought, when the ground just below it became black as she stepped on it. The platform made a loud sound repeatedly that quickly reached Sombra's ear. Using the magic inside the fizzling shield, he turned the palace into obsidian black, releasing a few of his soldiers from the walls in the chamber. As they approached her, Twilight found that the relic was nowhere to be seen.

"The Heart... Where's the Crystal–"

"Here!" - Spike was seen just a step away from the Crystal Heart - "It rolled over to me when you dropped it!"

"Don't move!" - Twilight began fighting back against the dreadnoughts as they approached her. When she heard Spike yelp at a soldier coming over, Twilight blasted it - "You can move, just not toward me!"

More soldiers were coming out so fast than she could possibly handle. Spike dodged the dreadnoughts attacks as much as he could.

"You have to get out of there, Twilight!" - He barely dodged a spear as it lopped off parts of his crests - "You have to be the one who brings the Heart to Princess Cadance! If you don't, you'll fail Celestia's test!"

"King Sombra is already attacking the Empire. He could reach the Crystal Ponies at any moment... reach Princess Cadance, my brother, my friends..." - as the soldiers approached her, Twilight though long and hard about what to do next as blackened crystals started to cut off their escape - "You have to be the one to bring the Crystal Heart to the Faire."

"Me? - Spike looked at the heart - "But Twilight–"

"Go!"

"But–"

"Goooo!"

Spike did what she told him as he grabbed the heart and escaped just out of the chamber before it is sealed up.

Down Below, Applejack, Rainbow Dash, and Pinkie Pie fought the dreadnoughts while Fluttershy and Rarity lead the people to safety. Back on the balcony, Cadance now lost all her magic power, causing the shield to faint once more. One of the Crystal Ponies stopped when she found all of the Empire return to the nightmare she new long ago. And with the shield gone, more dreadnoughts cut off their means of escape as well.

"He's back!" - She turned tail and ran the other way - "I can't take it!"

The Crystal Pony ran like crazy, crying her tears away just when she bumped into someone.

It was Sombra in his solid form giving a cold stare at her.

"K-k-k King Ssss -ss -sss Sombra...!" The crystal pony pursed her lips as the overlord approached his subjects.

"My crystal slaves..." - Sombra growled - "Your true lord and master has returned!"

As the blackened crystals continued to cover the Palace, Spike saw his friends below before waving the heart.

"Hey! Up here!" - the Ponies below, including the overlord, saw the dragon on high - "I got the Crystal Heart!"

Sombra growled before he trapped the rest of the Mane Five in cages - "That is mine!"

Stamping the ground, Sombra caused a large tower of crystals to jut out and carry him towards the dragon. The shockwave from his action also caused a vibration that made Spike fall off the ledge, the Crystal Heart falling even faster.

"Spikey-wikey!" Rarity cried out as a lance drew at her throat.

Seeing the Crystal Heart draw near the ground, Cadance felt some of her energy return as she unfolded her wings. At her approval, Shining picked up his wife and started to take aim. Just when Sombra was so close that he could taste the Heart, Cadance was thrown into the sky, catching Spike and holding the Crystal Heart in her restored power. As she soared around, the Crystal Ponies watched in awe before she landed before them.

"The Crystal Heart has returned." - Cadance placed the relic underneath the Palace, illuminating the snowflake beneath - "Use the light and love within you to ensure that King Sombra does not."

As the power began to rise, the Crystal Ponies regained their natural sheen in their coats as they bowed before her, illuminating the streets below them. After expanding, the magic contracted back to the Heart, causing it to spin faster until it discharged in a veil of light. The Mane Six, Spike, Cadance, and Shining Armor also gained a crystal sheen on their coats, much to Rarity's chagrin. Sombra's dreadnoughts were destroyed before his physical form started to crack. With one last roar of anguish, Sombra was shattered into several pieces. The palace then shot out a beam into the sky that dissipated the dark atmosphere. For the first time in a thousand years, the Northern Lights echoed across the sky and reached as far south as Ponyville. Back at Canterlot, the Royal Sisters watched the lights.

"If only she could see it now." Celestia lowered her head.

"I'm certain she is." Luna embraced her sister as tears streamed from her eyes."

Back at the Empire, the landscape returned to it's peaceful state. Cadance flew to the balcony before her husband embraced her.

"Behold! The Crystal Princess!" One of the Crystal Ponies beckoned before the Ponies around him cheered.

Spike then just remembered about the test as he crossed his arms upon looking at Twilight up above.

Twilight began her journey downstairs. "Good job, Spike."

The following day, our heroes, now without a crystal sheen were walking back to the train station. With the curse lifted, the arctic was now having 24 hour sunshine and so did not require heavy clothing.

"I do so wish it was permanent." - Rarity flipped her mane back - "Did you see how my mane just absolutely sparkled?"

"But..." - Applejack added - "good things are better when they're a rarity."

"Aww." Rarity hugged Applejack before the both laughed together.

Spike still had his arms crossed as he looked behind him to see Twilight, Cadance and Shining Armor.

"Everything's gonna be okay." - Shining craned his neck to his sister - "You've gotta stop saving my rump like this. It's starting to get embarrassing."

Twilight lowered her head. "Wasn't me who saved you in the end. It was Spike."

"It's just a test. Maybe she'll let you retake it."

Cadance flustered a wing at him, reminding him that her aunt doesn't jest.

"I don't think she's gonna give me a new test."

Taking the train station back to Canterlotm, the Mane Six laid about on the courtyard, waiting for whatever fate Twilight has recieved.
Spike was pacing around.

"Keep it together, buddy... Gotta stay strong... for Twilight..."

Back at the throne room, Celestia continued to watch the Northern Lights out the window, while Twilight stood to the left of a new stained glass window showing Spike being the one who retrieved the Crystal Heart.

"It's beautiful, isn't it?"

"I wish it had been me who ultimately made it so. But it wasn't."

"Twilight," - Celestia walked over to the new work of art - "as I understand it, Spike brought Princess Cadance the Crystal Heart because you weren't sure how quickly you could find a way to escape the tower. You weren't willing to risk the future of the citizens of the Crystal Empire in an effort to guarantee your own. Far better that I have a student who understands the meaning of self-sacrifice than one who only looks out for her own best interests."

Twilight beamed.

"Does this mean...?"

Back outside, Spike still paced back and forth by the doors.

"She's totally gonna lose it! Keep it together, buddy... Gotta stay strong... for Twilight...!"

Slamming the door at his face, Spike and the Mane Five watched Twilight slowly walk out the door.

She took a deep breath.

"I passed!"

Her friends cheered for her as they gave her a group hug.

[Rarity]
You were prepared to do your best
Had what it takes to pass the test
All those doubts you can dismiss
Turns out you were

[All sans Twilight Sparkle]
Prepared for this!

[Applejack]
You clearly have just what it takes
[Pinkie Pie]
To pass a test with such high stakes

[Fluttershy]
We knew for sure you would prevail
[Rainbow Dash]
Since when does Twilight Sparkle ever fail?

[All sans Twilight Sparkle]
All those doubts that you can dismiss
Trust yourself and you cannot miss

[Applejack, Rarity, and Pinkie Pie]
Turns out you were

[Twilight Sparkle]
Turns out I was

[Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy, and Spike]
Turns out you were

[Twilight Sparkle]
Turns out I was

[Rarity]
Turns out you were

[All sans Twilight Sparkle]
Prepared for this!

The Royal Sisters watched as they took the next train back to Ponyville. Luna pulled out a secret book, illustrating Twilight's next steps in her education.

"Yeah, I knew everything was going to be fine." Spike chuckled before being given a noogie.

...

A few weeks later at a distant Rock Farm, Trixie was just finished chipping down a rock she worked on for months since she left Ponyville. Igneous Rock Pie walked up to her and pointed to the boulder behind her. The magician sighed before beginning work on the rock. Chipping at the rock well into the evening, the darkness that surrounded her was disturbed with a red glow. In the reflection of her eyes was an amulet that appeared to have an Alicorn shape in dark and black.