• Published 18th Nov 2011
  • 3,052 Views, 113 Comments

Haylo: Crimson - Zarius9998



How many kills does it take to sate a governmentally sanctioned sadist? A whole Army.

  • ...
9
 113
 3,052

You're not alone.

It was again that time of year for Thanksgiving, and everyone and everypony was getting ready for the feast that was being put together by the more cooking-talented of the local regiment. All of the humans and ponies who had bonded over the time in battle with one another were celebrating their thanks to be partnered with eachother...and to be alive, for that matter. The whole scene was just...beautiful...well, except for one squad in particular.

"What do I have to be thankful about? Everyone I've ever loved DIED, remember?"

"Agreed. I could say I'm thankful for getting to kill some guys without lawful repercussions, but I don't think that counts."

Both females in Crimson Team seemed to not like the idea of a day of thanks...okay, actually, they just outright hated it.

"Girls, come-on! I'm sure you can think of something to be thankful for!" Ryan, AKA "Ghost," had been trying to bring them into the mood of the day since they woke up. Of course, the Rookie helped as well, but he never talked and always remained in full armor, helmet and all. All he really did was nod in agreement.

"Like what?" both girls asked skeptically, eying their partner questioningly.

You see, Ryan's sister, Reyna, was called "Widow" because everyone she tried to love ended-up dying in some way. This being so...she thought of everything in a cynical and pessimistic manner. Her general appearance also carried that of a Black Widow spider which the term "Widow" derives from. Long black hair, thin body structure in general, and piercing maroon eyes. Today, her attire was black-camo cargo pants, black boots, and a red tank top.

Ryan froze-up, grinning awkwardly, "Er-uhmm..."

"And don't say 'Be thankful to be alive!' or I'll rip your arm off." Artemis threatened.

Ryan and the Rookie both looked to eachother knowingly. They had known practically from day one together as a squad that both their superior officers would rather be dead than fighting this war, so they were really ALWAYS hard to cheer up.

"We're waiting..." the two girls annoyingly coerced.

Ryan thought quickly and came-up with a way that might at least cheer his sister up, "Well...ya got me, sis!" he exclaimed stepping up and wrapping an arm around his older sibling's shoulder, "Huh?"

She looked away from her brother at this, uncrossing her arms and actually SMILING, "Well..."

Artemis' jaw hit the ground while Ryan grinned widely.

Ryan, contrary to his nickname, "Ghost," wasn't ghostly in appearance at all. He had very tan skin (as opposed to his sister's somewhat pale), bright blue eyes, and short, straight black hair. That day, he chose to wear some jeans, tennis shoes, and a blue t-shirt.

"See, listen, why don't we go around the encampment and see what else we can find to cheer you up!" without waiting for a response, he started leading his sister away. When he passed the Rookie, he leaned in close and whispered, "Try to show the mare a good time will ya? Take her on a date or something!"

The Rookie jumped in shock, turning to watch Ryan and Reyna walk off before looking back to Artemis...and nearly die from a heart attack.

She had regained her composure and was now glaring daggers of ice into his soul...he really hoped she couldn't smell fear, or else he would reek like week-old fish.

"So...you have anything to say to try and cheer me up?" she asked with a somewhat angry sigh. The Rookie gulped and drew a blank, shaking his head no, "Figured as much..." Artemis turned and went to leave, "If you'll excuse me, I'll be hanging myself..."

The Rookie was bit worried she was serious, but figured she was too chivalrous to commit suicide and decided to sit there in hopes of coming-up with a way to bring her spirits up...

-------------

"Oh Celestia..." Luna murmured, staring blankly at her ceiling, "Tia...I wish you were still here..."

So far, the Princess had accomplished nothing but brooding over how sad this day made her. While it was meant to make one enjoy and cherish all they have, it only made her miss what she lost, "I could visit Twilight and Fluttershy..." she muttered, "But all that would do is make me think of Tia..."

She had received an invitation from Twilight a few days ago asking her to come visit them for a small party celebrating the day, but...Luna just wasn't up to it. While it would have been great to see her sister's pupil again, that was just the problem: Her SISTER'S pupil.

"What are we thankful for? Family? Nope," Luna sneered, rolling over onto her side, "All dead. Friends? Nope, almost all dead. Life? Nope, I'm in a WAR." Luna rolled to her other side, scowling, "Good health...? I'm immortal! That doesn't even count!" she groaned, practically flailing about in the covers, "Is there a friend I have that won't remind me of my sister, maybe...?" she pondered, placing a hoof to her chin in thought, "There's always those three foals who made it their life's goal to find cutie marks..." she started, but then instantly wiped the idea after remembering HOW they finally found their marks: War, "No...hmm...maybe Pip...I know his squad always LOVES to see me...well, two of them do, anyway." she laughed slightly, rolling her eyes, "The other two are just 'graced by my presence,' since they're not ponies." Luna sat up, coming to the resolve that she would visit Pip to cheer herself up. And who knows? Maybe by the end of the day she'll feel good enough to visit Twilight and Fluttershy.

"Off I go..."

She was gone in a flash...literally.

-------------

"Hmm...maybe I can steal a Saber and go find some Covenant ship to attack...that'll be fun."

Artemis pondered her options on tackling the depressing mood she was in at the time. All of them included something illegal or bloody...mostly both.

"I COULD molest people and ponies some more, but that's getting a bit boring..."

"OI! Ar'emis!"

"Hmm?" Artemis fell out of her trance and leaned out over the edge of the rock she was sitting on. Down below was her Rookie, with another familiar mare beside him.

"You got a bi'-o comp'ny!" the Rookie shouted again, motioning towards the regal blue mare beside him.

"Well-well! Miss Priss? To what do I owe the honor?" Artemis replied sarcastically, rolling onto her stomach and blankly peering down at the pair.

"I came to spend some time with my...most interesting Squad, but the Smiths are busy and your Rookie here told me you were feeling down." Luna shouted up, "You should let us talk to you..."

"What? And tell me how I should be thankful for crap?" Artemis shook her head, "Buck that."

Luna told the Rookie to leave and go enjoy the feast that was starting while she convinced "Her Little Hatefulness" to brighten-up...somehow.

Artemis rolled onto her back and closed her eyes, trying to block-out the noise. This was going well, until the ping of magic caused her to open her eyes and end-up face-to-face with the annoyed eyes of the blue Goddess.

"Whoa!" Artemis jumped and squirmed a bit, scooting out from under her slightly.

"Listen to me for once!" Luna shouted.

"No!" she spat back, rolling out from under Luna and standing with her back to her.

"Artemis, all you've ever done with me is argue and yell!" Luna shouted, to no avail, "And all you've EVER presented yourself to be is a...a..." Luna saw Artemis was ignoring her, so she added magic to her TRADITIONAL EQUESTRIAN VOICE, "COLDHEARTED, SELF-INDULGING, MANIAC WHO'S LIFE GOAL IS TO PISS ME, THE BUCK, OFF!"

With the addition of the Traditional Equestrian Voice, the message was hard to miss...especially since the sheer force behind the voice nearly blasted the ebony mare off of the rock.

"Oh...my..." Artemis stammered, her ears ringing slightly.

Luna cut her voice off and returned it to normal, advancing on the soldier mare somewhat menacingly. She was hell-bent on ending this whole farce with Artemis there and then, "You just try your hardest to pick at my nerves, mess with my head..." Luna continued, to which Artemis started to back away slowly, actually scared of this totally pissed princess, "But you know what, think I know why, and I think I know how to fix your bucked-up attitude..."

Artemis gulped, grinning sheepishly, "Wh...what would that b-be?"

"The entire time you've projected yourself to be just a huge, sadistic jerk...but you're just scared."

Artemis did a double take, her mind blown, "What? You're kidding, right?"

"You're scared to forge a relationship with anyone or anypony, Artemis, I see that now." Luna continued, her voice becoming passionate, "You shun all because you're afraid you'll come to miss them when they inevitably die."

"He-hey now! Who ever said I-"

"Shut up and just listen for once, Artemis!" Luna interjected, "I already know what your game is! No point in hiding it from me!"

"Oh, you think you know me? Hmm?" Artemis' composure quickly rebound, her eyes showing seething anger, "To be shunned and hated for having an odd set of teeth and cutie mark? For liking something abnormal?" she stepped up, going, almost literally, nose-to-nose with Luna in a glare-down, "Or to stand by as your family gets GLA-" Artemis cut herself off, her eyes going wide in shock as she realized exactly what she was saying, "Wait...you're trying to level with me, aren't you?" she whispered, "You DO know what all of that feels like..."

It was true. Luna had her fair share of shunning and fear. She was, after all, Nightmare Moon: Symbol of all that is dark and evil, lover of the Moon and Night. Adding to that...she really could do nothing but watch as Canterlot, along with her sister, was incinerated by the Covenant.

"So Artemis, just stop hiding from me, if anypony, and have a soul for once, please?" Luna bit her lip, feeling a bit embarrassed about continuing on. She knew the ebony mare had some less than appropriate thoughts about Luna, so the next thing she said could have been taken the wrong way or a bit too far, "I mean, I care about you...seeing as you're probably one of my last friends or family I'll have for the next millennium..."

Artemis just couldn't take it anymore. She made it her life's goal to never forge anything resembling a friendship. Comrades were a given, it was war, but nothing more. No love, no compassion, no legitimate feelings of any kind for anypony or anyone else...because to her, friends are only made to die, just as she only lives to die. She just didn't want to have anything to hold her, because when you have nothing, you lose nothing, and nothing can hurt you. That was how she lived, and how she wanted to die.

"Luna...I'm scared..."

Artemis collapsed there, but Luna caught her and gently laid her down, holding her as the ebony mare reduced herself to a scared little filly, shaking.

"You always just wanted to die, now I'm going to give you reasons to live." Luna said sternly, "You will make friends other than myself, Ari, and you'll become a better pony for it. I will give you something to be thankful for, my little pony."

-------------

Every day, we live our lives, not remembering why we do what we do. It's all just a simple process of meeting end's need and making it to bed at night. But, on that rare occasion, we recall the reasons for all of our strife and hard work, the reasons for which we live. It is on those beautiful moments which we truly feel thankful for what we have, and cherish the memories of what we lost. It is on these moments which the ties that connect us come into full light and strengthen, even if it's just enough to hold us for the next, rare moment.

Life is meant to be lived, and not just for the purpose of living, but for others, for eachother.

Happy Thanksgiving everypony. Go hug your dad, tell your mom you love her, and kiss the one you love, because remember:

You're not alone