• Published 31st May 2012
  • 8,994 Views, 332 Comments

Equestria Noire - PonyManne215



Detective Cole Phelps sacrificed himself, being carried away by a flood. Where did it lead him?

  • ...
22
 332
 8,994

Case: Birds of a Feather

‘People are leeches. They suck the blood of another until said victim is run dry. In a sense, people do the same thing. They take other people’s money, food, family, the list goes on. Everyone has a motive underneath. Someone never just does something because they feel like it. Whether it’s something primal or conscious, it doesn’t matter. What does matter is the ability of one to control themselves, to stop their wrong doings. In this world, we can’t stop ourselves from doing bad things; we just have an inclination to do it. We aren’t bad at heart, but we are tempted to do so. One just needs to learn how to control it.’


The previous day, the day in which Cole was shot by his own gun, met the royalty of Equestria, and bought some desirables for his friend, Rarity, ended in smoothly. Upon announcing his arrival, Rarity came clobbering down the stairs, still in her bath robe and a mud mask stricken on her face. By the time she collected herself, Cole was trying his hardest not to laugh.

Upon exchanging greetings, Cole gave her the shopping bag full of things from the stallion named Fancy Pants. It took some time before she reacted, but her reaction was completely unexpected. Her eyes widened as she basically leapt onto the detective. She expressed an endless amount of thank yous as she held him in a tight embrace. It had taken some time for her to let go. Tired from the events, Cole gave her a sincere smile as he went upstairs and slept soundly once again. Thoughts of his family entered his mind once more…


Rarity’s Boutique
7:07 AM


Cole Phelps woke up on his own accord, enjoying every single minute longer that he had spent lying in the bed. He checked his treasured wristwatch as he saw the time of day. He chastised himself for waking up so late and got up from his bed. As per usual, the regular events of the morning ensued.

After the justice aficionado finished his warm shower, he turned his attention to the choice of appearance for the day. After selecting from a wide variety of fanciful clothing, Cole took in hand a brown suit. He took a velvet red tie and wrapped it around his neck, accordingly. He took his brown fedora in hand and went into the hallway. From what he could tell, the other two roommates had woken long since. He went downstairs and peeked around the railing.

“Why do come down, darling. I just finished breakfast!” Rarity called.

Cole took his time down the marble stairs, admiring how much shine it had. With each step passing, he saw his own reflection in the small slabs of stone. He turned his head back to the mare and could not but gawk at what was before him.

“Well, what do you think?” Rarity stretched out her forehooves in a manner as if she was presenting her food.

Phelps was speechless. There were miles upon miles of pancakes. Following this was a mountain of buttered toast, coffee, lemonade, and possibly anything else that a vegetarian would eat for breakfast. Cole gulped rather audibly as he cleared his throat.

“Ahem, this is a good spread you got here.” Cole stuttered out. He never ate this big before.

“Well, that must be exciting for the females back at your home, but what about the food?” Rarity replied wittily.

It took some time for Cole to put two and two together, finally realizing her joke. “Wha..But…Miss Rarity, that’s not what I meant!” He guffawed.

“I know, it’s just a joke. But really, I just felt this was needed after you looked so tired yesterday.” Rarity explained.

“Well, I was pretty tired. But that’s all over now….” His stomach growled loudly, quelling his rebellion. “I’ll take a seat if you don’t mind me.” Cole sat down without any further comments or inquiries.

Rarity chuckled a bit as she sat herself. And so, they dug into the massive meal before them. Phelps had to admit, the food here was amazing. It was like the fine imported Italian cheese that his father had always let him have a sample of. But those were pretty expensive. If something that was pretty cheap was so good, how would the expensive cuisine taste? He would have to find out soon enough.

After letting out a loud belch, the well-mannered human wiped himself with a cloth as he excused himself.

“Well, I have nothing to do. I guess I’ll check on Twilight.” Cole figured as he made his way for the door.

“Wait! I was hoping if you would kindly check on Fluttershy? She seems to be having some sort of a problem at the moment.” Rarity asked.

Cole nodded and opened the door. “Sure thing, I’ll bring Twilight along just in case.”

As Cole walked outside into Ponyville once again, the sun glimmered ever so brightly. This time he was prepared for the celestial body. He shielded his eyes in a way that he would be able to see the large fiery sphere but also allow him some relief. The start of a brand new day was at hand.

Cole’s shoes lightly tapped against the ground as he made his way to the library. Thankfully, it wasn’t too much of a far walk. Though he did get a good night’s sleep, he was still worn out from the wound and the miniature tornado called the Royal Canterlot Voice. He waved to a few of the familiar looking residents that passed him by. Ponyville was a small town, that was for sure.

He thought over the following plans of the week.

‘So I have to check out Fluttershy..what else? I really have nothing else going on, do I? God, I need something that can take up my time. Barely anything happens here that’s isn’t too difficult to solve..’

Phelps, with a keen eye for solving mysteries and crimes, was actually pretty free. At first, he would think that it would be a paradise but he was wrong. After relaxing for so long, one starts to feel nostalgic over things that they frequented. For Cole, apprehending criminals and solving crime was his daily life. He knew that the rare occasion of crime would not quench his thirst for helping people, or ponies in this case. He felt obligated to do so, mostly in part with his actions during the war.

His mental contemplation caused him to be distracted for a moment’s notice. He quickly snapped out of his day dream as he stopped himself from colliding with the exterior of Ponyville’s library. He knocked on the door with a hint of urgency, albeit it was drowned out by the feeling of fatigue. The door slowly shifted open as a small head poked out.

“Oh hey, Cole. Looking for Twilight?” Spike asked.

Cole nodded his head in response.

“Sorry, dude. She’s really busy today. She totally forgot that today was re-shelving day. You had to see her when she practically went nuts over her ruined schedule.” The assistant explained.

“I suppose it would be useless to ask her to help me on a little situation?” Phelps mentioned.

“Yeah, pretty much. She went bananas when she was late for a letter to the Princess, so I think we should let her sort everything out.” Spike replied.

“That’s fine.” Phelps accepted. The two waved goodbye as Cole turned his back to the library, facing in direction of Fluttershy’s cottage. “I’ll just go solo on this one…”


Fluttershy’s Cottage Outside of the Everfree Forest
7: 41 AM


If Cole Phelps had known how hot it would have been, he would’ve left the fedora and suit back in his room. He was practically sweating bullets as the sun had intensified over the short half hour that had passed. He hoped that the sun would cool later during the afternoon or evening. He wiped his face as his hair was completely soaked. He combed it back with his hand as he continued on.

Fluttershy’s roof was but a few dozen feet away. Phelps took a big sniff as the greens of the Everfree were nearing. Sure, he had the pleasure of smelling the aroma of flowers in Ponyville, but there were plants here that nopony dared to take. It was stunning really, the flora called Poison Joke. Twilight had informed him of the plant’s ability to cause reactions, although they were more of a harmless prank than a lethal poison. Despite its wild effects, the flower itself still smelled as sweet as honey.

After finishing his marvel of beauty, his love of poetry and all things literature being the underlying tone, he soldiered onto the home of the timid little Pegasus. The door seemed to be open from the angle that he was standing at. He squinted his eyes in order to get a better view. It was open. His twenty-twenty vision, along with the basic training of using a rifle, allowed him to fully see that it was indeed open. Not only that, but it was forced open. He could see shards of wood all around the border of the doorway.

Without a second thought, he took his handgun out of its holster and moved quietly towards the front door. He could make out a few distinct set of tracks. They weren’t ponies though, which threw the detective off his first guess. He’d have to inquire later as he heard a small little squeal inside. He brought his back in line with the door as he took calm breaths.

‘One..two…’


“Three!” Phelps shouted as he ducked out of his cover and moved inside.

There was clearly a struggle inside of the humble home as Cole Phelps saw dozens of glass pieces and furniture thrown about in a chaotic manner. There were many dents in the walls of the home and in some cases, there were entire holes. Aware of the worst but hoping for the best, Cole crept into the living room.

“He-hello?” A tiny voice stammered.

Checking the perimeter, Cole hesitantly followed the sound of the voice, still remaining silent.

“W-who’s there?” The voice spoke again.

Still deathly silent, Phelps continued further.

“Please d-don’t hurt me again..” The voice whispered.

That did it for the detective. He basically sprinted the remaining distance (a foot or two) and checked for the source of the voice. There was nothing but a turned over couch. The human got down on his knees as he wrapped his hands around the head cushions. With some effort, he lifted the piece of furniture back to its upright nature and sighed.

Cole reached his hand out to the cowering Fluttershy, who in turn shivered even more. Phelps, a bit unsure of how to proceed, stroked her mane gently. She seemed to not tense as much as before and started to look up to meet him.

“Are they here?”

“Who? “ Phelps inquired with a stern face.

“The…the…Eep!” She screamed as she recalled who her assaulters were.

Cole realized that this was getting him nowhere. Having Twilight with him would have made calming the poor mare a whole lot easier. Since he was alone, and he barely had any interaction with her, soothing Fluttershy was going to be no meager task. He sheathed his gun as he put his hands around her form. She tensed, trying to pry herself from his grip. He only continued, lifting her to the couch and sitting next to her. He looked deeply into her reservoir of blue eyes, staring widely at him with the same hued tears bordering her tear ducts.

“Are you alright, Miss?”

“I..I think so..” Fluttershy responded.

Cole gave her a look over as he continued speaking to her. He noticed some blue and purple spots that conflicted with her normally yellow coat. “Were you with anyone else before…” He took a look around the room, pointing his hands to emphasize the situation’s magnitude. “This happened?”

“Um….no..I don’t think so anyway..” Again, she spoke in a soft voice.

“And when did this happen?”

“Well..right after I normally feed Angel, so…just twenty minutes ago?” Fluttershy started to calm herself.

After mentally kicking himself as he could’ve prevented this beat down, as it seemed, or at least saw the perpetrators’ faces, he grimaced and looked back to her. “Miss Fluttershy, tell me what exactly happened.”

“Well…”


Fluttershy’s Cottage
7:18


“There you go, Angel. Is it just how you want it?” Fluttershy asked with a smile as she removed her chef hat.

Angel nodded his head vigorously as he munched down on the breakfast special his best friend had made him, “Carrots Le Petite”.

Fluttershy gave him a warm smile and patted his little furry head. “I’m glad you liked it. I worked really hard to make it just right.”

Fluttershy flapped her wings as she flew over to the windowsill. She pushed the shutters open as she admired the beauty of nature. She could see everything in harmony. The butterflies floated in the distance. The bumblebees were sleeping on sunflowers. The squirrels ate their acorns in the trees gleefully.

Fluttershy inhaled deeply, ready to address the world in a shout.

*Gasp*

“Good morning, everypony.” She said in a very raised whisper.

As expected, nopony heard her and she just continued back to her friend. “Angel, what time did we have to-”

Fluttershy stopped as she heard her front door open. She was not expecting any visitors anytime soon. She had spoken to Rarity about some problems she had been having, but she assured her fashionable friend that it was nothing of grave importance. Thought it wasn’t the whole truth, she was sure that Rarity had sent Cole to check up on her. Thinking it was the human, she smiled as she turned to the hallway.

“Oh you didn’t have to come and check on me Cole. I’m perfectly fine.” She reasoned.

“Oh, you won’t be so perfect after I’m done with you.” An all too familiar voice answered.

Immediately, Fluttershy tensed up and began to search for an exit. She had not expected a surprise “visit” so soon. In fact, she was hoping they wouldn’t happen again. She looked at Angel, who was staring at her with worried eyes. Fluttershy began to mouth words.

“Run! Run as far as you can Angel bunny!” She was starting to tear up, knowing what was going to happen.

The small critter reluctantly hopped off hastily. He had escaped the torment to come. For Fluttershy, there was no escape, there never was. Her “friend” always brought her “friends” whenever they wanted to visit Fluttershy. She could already see the silhouettes of the others guarding the exits. She heard some knuckles crack from right behind her. Instinctively, she spun around to meet her visitor. She gave her a smile, hoping it would perhaps help her ease the situation.

“Hi…Gilda..”


Fluttershy's Cottage
Present Time

After finishing recounting her morning, Fluttershy began to whimper yet again. Cole put a hand on her shoulder as he looked into her eyes.

“Hey look, they won’t do it again, I promise you. As long as I’m breathing, they won’t spend another day without a pair of steel shackles around their han- claws.” He caught himself from mistaking the limbs as he assured her sincerely.

She looked up, crying but smiling throughout the sad endeavor. “R-really?”

“I promise.”

“Do you Pinkie Promise?” She sniffled.

“What? I don’t even…yeah, I do.” He reluctantly agreed. “So do you remember where they went?”

“No, not really. But I think I heard one of them say they were going to hang out at the…Everfree Castle?!” She was frightened when recalling the events that she had with her friends the first time they had gone there.

“A castle in the forest?” Cole raised an eyebrow. “That is not the most strategic placing for a keep. But hey, I’ve seen weirder things, right?” He was skeptical but glad to have a sense of direction nonetheless. “So where is it?”

“Just head due north, you can’t miss it. It has a …scary bridge!” She warned.

“Right,” Cole stood up and began to walk towards the door. “I’m sure the bridge is frightening.” He waved a dismissive hand. “Take care and make sure to have a doctor check that out. I’d say that the bruises will hurt for the next few days or so.” He opened reached the hallway and craned his head to see her for a last time. “Stay safe, Miss.”

Fluttershy smiled at him for the concern. “Oh, I will..just do me a favor? If you don’t mind that is…don’t hurt them.” She pleaded.

Cole Phelps turned his back to her as he moved out of the door. “I won’t hurt them!” He called. After he was out of hearing range, he muttered to himself. “I won’t hurt them. I’ll hurt them a lot.”

He couldn’t stand seeing the timid Pegasus like that. There was something special about Fluttershy, something that he had rarely seen in his entire life. It was something that he had wished there was more in LA, let alone Earth. It was something that he was sworn and obligated to protect, something that he wanted spread through the world. Innocence.

He had never before seen a large display of innocence and care in his career. After being beaten by the griffin, Gilda, she was forced to watch as Gilda's friends ransacked and vandalized her home. After finishing, they began to assault her mentally and emotionally, calling her degrading names and such. Fluttershy told of the events that had led up to this. After being defriended by Rainbow Dash, Gilda decided to do whatever she could to harm her friends. Fluttershy was the easiest target of all and was thus, the first choice.

For months on end, Gilda had been beating Fluttershy and in some instances, her animals. For some reason, Fluttershy always forgave them; only causing Gilda to mock her more. Phelps’ blood was boiling. Here was an innocent child, devoid of heinous thoughts or actions. She went as far as to forgive any who had caused her harm or done anything distasteful against her. Yet, people called her weak. He just wanted to find the griffins and make them pay, more than just apprehending them.

If Twilight was here with him, he might’ve gone about this in a calmer manner. After all, he was level-headed in many situations and preferred peace over violence. But this was something else, and for once, he had no restraint. This time, the gloves came off and the formalities, abandoned. Everyone had to let out their steam sometime, and this was the engine room of Cole’s disdain for humanity and evil.


Everfree Forest
8: 22 AM

Cole Phelps was practically stampeding through the forest. While the wildlife was once thriving, they were now silent as mice. Cole’s anger was sensed by the creatures of the Everfree as they decided to move out of the infernal path. If his anger could actually be emitted in fumes, the entire forest would have been set ablaze the moment his big toe left Fluttershy’s doorway.

What few animals or mythical creatures that had mustered the courage to express their less than tolerable liking to his presence were quickly quelled by his Colt’s echoing shot. He was seriously not to be trifled with at the moment. He was aware of his gung-ho attitude, but was un-phased by his bluntness. Animals were more intelligent than humans in the instinct sense. So they were able to decipher his “Screw off” attitude. The once spaced out claw prints of five griffons started to intermingle into but a mere two set of limbs.

The track was beginning to thin out and would soon end. He felt a sudden change in temperature as the air started to become cooler. He looked ahead and there, but a meager ten feet, was a large wooden bridge atop an endless chasm or gorge that was canopied by fog. The bridge itself was made of highly unused wood that looked like it was about to fall apart. It was obvious that the bridge was in need of extensive repair but the detective did not care. This was something personal.

With a teeming ocean of confidence, he crossed the rickety bridge with ease. The boards that had fallen from the wooden deathtrap from his footsteps had seemingly taken notice of his mood. Proving this was the fact that the boards did not snap or fall upon his immediate touch, rather moments afterwards. With the bridge to his back, Phelps pressed onward. The castle was in sight. After lying in ditches, surrounded by enemies and the deceased bodies of his fellow US troops, he had also developed a keen sense of perception. With the almost bat-like sense of hearing, he made out some chatter, albeit incoherent. Reigniting his train of pain, he charged like a knight in shining armor, save for the battle cry, noble steed, sword, lance, shield, or armor.


Everfree Castle
8:41 AM



Fluttershy's description of the old castle was pretty spot on. From her words, the old destroyed ruin was "scary, dangerous, dark, and evil". Phelps didn't need to be a psychic to know or feel the bad vibes this place was giving off. The stone foundation was scarce, virtually nonexistent. The columns were littered with moss and decay. Wild plants grew between cracks and holes. And adding to the cliche of decrepit fortresses was an array of musty statues. In all, it was a pretty depressing sight.

Nonetheless, Phelps pressed onward to "apprehend" the malefactors. The chatter was getting closer; he could feel the subtle vibrations shaking the ground. Nearing the entrance of the building, he took his Nickel-plated gun and checked its magazine. It still had a full clip, minus one bullet used in the forest. He stretched a few times, limbering up for the incoming physical confrontation. Well, he hoped that it would lead to one. He paused to listen for any nearby movements inside. Nothing but the sound of dripping water ensued. Yet another cliche; a leak in the walls leading to a nervous tempo of consciousness. With no one inside, Cole swept around the corner and into the hall.

The hall was dark and dimly lit. There were two torches lighting the long chasm. If he were not planning on being stealthy, he would've took his flashlight in hand and proceeded madly. But due to having the ability to retain some reasoning, he silently crept forward. The voices were within earshot now.

"Hey bro, get your stinking claw off my stuff." A gruff female voice called.

"Your stuff? I took that from the pony and then put it down for a few seconds. You just picked it up and called it yours!" A male voice retorted.

"Oh yeah? Wanna fight about it?" The gruff voice threatened.

"You're so lucky the bosses are paying us to focus on the smart guy and his stupid pony friends. How are we supposed to know what he looks like anyway? They don't even know what he looks like. I tell ya, the only reason we're out here is because those dumb dogs got caught with their tongues out. If they were smart enough to get rid of the trail, we'd be flying back home.."

"Oh stop whining like a girl. You know what? Stop whining like a Fluttershy."

"That's a low blow, dude." The male answered.

"Hey, where's idiot number two?" The girl asked.

"I dunno. Should be on his way here though."

Phelps had been taking note of these facts. These griffins were not only harming Fluttershy, but were after the detective himself as well. In fact, they were after all of the girls. There was some sort if link between the Diamond Dogs, these griffins and the "bosses" that the two work for. These small strings of crime were definitely something big.

Finishing up, Cole pocketed his notebook and pencil and drew his attention and gun back on the two inside of a large (what seemed to be) throne room. There were multiple broken and normal windows inside. Hopefully, they wouldn't try to run from Cole. As he finished his inspection, Phelps walked inside of the room loudly. He slammed his loafers against the old stone flooring to emphasize his presence. The two griffins turned to face the newcomer.

"What the feather are you supposed to be?" The female asked.

"Are you Gilda?" Phelps asked emotionless.

"Yeah, who's asking?" Gilda replied.

"A friend of Fluttershy's. I'm here to take you in for vandalism, assault, animal abuse, intended murder, and conspiracy. You have the right to remain silent." He grinned, hoping they'd react as planned.

"Apprehend us? This feather brain thinks he can catch us. Well come on, pip-squeak. Let's dance!" Gilda taunted, pushing her friend first.

"I was hoping you'd say that." Phelps replied as he cracked his own neck, freeing the tension building in his muscle.

The griffin, unsure of how to proceed, charged at Cole Phelps blindly. With ease, the veteran stepped to the side and gave a hard jab to the attacker's beak. A loud and agonizing pop followed as the top part of the beak was forced out of place. He fell to the ground, holding his maw in an attempt to ease the pain.

"This is for Fluttershy." Cole stated as he kicked the griffin in the stomach, causing the victim to exhale deeply.

In retaliation, the griffin clawed Cole's thigh, cutting through the linen suit pants, and displaying three red flowing cuts upon the detective's lightly tanned skin. Wincing in pain, Phelps kicked the griffin again, successfully knocking all of the wind in the downed bird's lungs. The griffin would be incapacitated for some time. Now finished with one of the two griffins, the human turned to greet the remaining criminal.

The sound of a loud growl and the feeling of sharp claws across his face followed. It took Cole Phelps some time to realize what had occurred. Before him, flying in the air triumphantly, was Gilda who was admiring a few strands of red flowing down her claws.

"Ya know, you fight pretty good for an ugly monkey. I can see why the bosses want you out of the picture and how you took out those dumb Diamond Dogs. If you thought this would be easy, you're dead wrong. You'll never beat me or the bosses. And you just wait, all of your friends are going down, one by-"

*Bang* *Bang*

Gilda fell to the ground quickly as two bullets exited both of her wings. Bleeding out of her wounds, the griffin thug tried to flap her wings hopelessly. She screamed in pain and anger when each flap caused her displeasure.

"Gah! What did you do to me?!"

Cole wiped the blood on his face and felt the large claw mark that was drawn on it. He used his tie to dry out most of the red substance. He calmly approached Gilda and gave her a distasteful look.

"I guess you never heard of this either, huh? Well, in layman's terms, it can shoot little metal pellets that can cut through just about anything. In rare cases, I use this. This is a rare case." The detective stated matter-of-factly.

"Just wait till the bosses find out! You're dead! You are dead!" Gilda threatened.

"I usually take criminals in and have them locked up, but you did something horrible. Something that almost rivals what I did. You beat up Fluttershy, even destroying her when she forgave you. Well, I can't forgive you for that. No one should." Cole aimed his gun at Gilda's head.

"Wait! You need me! I can tell you who the bosses are!" Gilda tried to bribe the modest detective.

"I live for justice and stand for the weak. I fight and jail criminals so that the children can roam safely. I give my life for the world. I still I've your friend, don't I?" The detective that everyone once knew was gone momentarily. Everyone has a dark side and Cole's had taken over.

"But.." Gilda was wordless.

"Crime never pays, Gilda. Crime never pays." Cole pulled the trigger.

Instead of hearing any impact between flesh and metal, Phelps heard the sound of metal upon stone. Looking down, he saw the lone bullet lodged into the stone next to Gilda's head. He turned his head to see who had caused him to miss.

"Thank Celestia I got here in time!"

"......Twilight?"

The purple mare galloped to Cole's side, examined the injured Gilda, and looked at Phelps in shock. "Cole? You did this?"

Well, the detective was caught with the smoking gun, literally. Not sure on how to explain, he asked how she had arrived.

"Well, Fluttershy came over and asked if you came back. I never even knew that you went to her house. So I asked her what happened and where you went. That's when I used the teleport spell and got here. Did you do this?!" She asked again.

Cole opened his mouth to speak but was interrupted by Gilda.

"Get the claw outta here! They caught us!" The injured leader shouted at the door.

Out of the corner of his eye, Phelps saw a shadowed figure flee the scene. Through his deductive skills, he concluded that it was the third member of their crime syndicate. He scolded himself for not checking for the third one first. He started to raise his hand to punch Gilda but stopped when he remembered his peaceful partner stood ajar.

"....Clean them up, Twilight. We'll bring them in for custody and I'll interrogate them then." He turned away from the mess that he had caused and began to briskly walk away.


He heard Twilight say his name but after not answering, he only heard the sounds of silence. When reaching the hallway, he saw that they had gone and that the pool of blood still remained. Sighing, the detective dusted himself off, cleaned his wound with his tie, and walked back home in silence.

Ponyville
11:17 AM


The detective would have arrived hours earlier but decided to cool off and collect himself. He rarely lost his composure, if even doing so at all. He took his time admiring the landscape; the natural beauty of Equestria. He took time to look at himself in the lake and river, seeing if it was truly him.

Phelps didn't feel like himself. Hell, he didn't act like himself. He contemplated if he was losing his sanity. He wondered if he would be able to control himself. He asked if he had taken the right course of actions that day. He wondered if he deserved to live.

Cole arrived into Ponyville nonchalantly. Many of the residents stared at him though. His wound was pretty noticeable. It was difficult to not see three straight lines slashing down his face, red upon white. He ignored the gawks and gasps that ponies gave him and went straight back to where he wanted to go; his room. The only thing in mind right now was a nice hot shower.

Upon arriving at the Carousel Boutique, the heavily depended upon man sighed in relief. He could finally just sit and garnish his thoughts. He opened the door and stepped inside. Now for some peace and quiet.

"Hey Coley-Woley! We heard about that big fight with Gilda and her friends! Boy, were they hurt! My Pinkie Sense just told me that you were going here! Isn't that neat? Oh! And I almost forgot that the- hey, where are you going?" Pinkie looked at Phelps in bewilderment.

The moment he had seen Pinkie, Phelps thought it was best to just walk by and ignore her. Thankfully, the plan was a success as the party mare left him alone to his self wallowing.

"Aww..I just wanted to ask him if he wanted cake or cupcakes.." Pinkie's curly hair deflated with a poof.

"Now darling, I think we should just leave the poor thing be. As for the food, he prefers cupcakes, trust me." Rarity assured with a smile.

Pinkie seemed to be content with the answer as she bounced right back up and hopped away singing a song.

Rarity looked up to the stairs and shook her head. "Please help him, Celestia."

Cole Phelps was not a drinker. In fact, he liked to consider himself as a designated driver. But for once, he wished he had a flask of whiskey with him. He took off all of his clothes, save his pants and shirt, and went inside the bathroom. Being in what he considered a safe haven, he turned the shower on and stepped inside, soaking his clothes as he took in the warm wash.

Cole leaned his arm on the shower wall as he arched his back. The warm water was freeing and relaxing. It gave him time to think things through.

"Why God, why?! Why'd I ever have that thing with Elsa? Why'd I ever let go of my family? Am I damned for eternity!? Is that why this is? A game?! Because of all of my sins, you separate me from my family and make me think about them all the time! You put me in a world full of cartoons, myths, and ponies, and you make me the only human here? Why!? WHY?!........why? Oh god, Marie, I miss you.." Cole had been shouting all of his pent-up worries and troubles the world, hoping to reach the ears of the one who had put him on Equestria. He broke down into a full cry as he slumped down against the wall. There was so much that you could do to a man and keep him sane, but separating a man from his family was a hell of it's own.

Cole Phelps, decorated war veteran, keen detective, loving father and husband, was crying. He didn't care if the world witnessed this spectacle. He needed to let it out.

"Just look at me, I'm a damn wreck.." He muttered.

Cole felt the warm drips of water splash him. He also felt the sudden touch of warm hooves from an embracing unicorn.

"I don't think you're a wreck, sweetie. I think you're the best thing that's ever happened to me."

"I'm hopeless..."

"No, you are hope. Cole, look at me," Rarity brought Cole's hidden face to hers. She smiled sincerely as she spoke. "You've done so much for this town, for its ponies, for me. We didn't even know you, we haven't even given you anything, and you've done us so much. Cole, you're a hero."

Cole looked into her blue eyes and saw a burning passion being expressed. She had truly felt that way. He slowly began to smile back.

"...Thank you, Rarity. I needed that."

She just smiled, tears forming in her eyes as well. It was hard to notice though, as the water of the shower concealed any tearing well.

Go to Sleep, Detective.

Rarity gave Cole some support as he picked himself up. He stumbled over to the towels and dried himself off. Rarity tended to his wounds and wrapped bandages around them.Wearing new pants and a shirt, Cole Phelps laid down on his bed. The tired man had finally reached his rest. He felt something move next to him. He turned and saw Rarity lying with him, holding his head in her hooves, gently rubbing his head to relax him.

"Go to sleep, Cole. You deserve it."


Once again, Cole dreamt of his family. He dreamt of the loving times they had, the laughs, the births of his daughters. But something new appeared. He dreamt of Rarity giving him a warm and loving smile.