• Published 8th Oct 2015
  • 15,905 Views, 963 Comments

Hollow Shades - Dilos1



Something new lurks within the wilds of Equestria. Something monstrous.

  • ...
54
 963
 15,905

Dawn

Bon-Bon raced through the dark woods as quickly and quietly as she could, glancing behind her every few seconds to make sure whatever that. . . thing was had not decided to follow her. It did not appear that it had, but she did not want to be caught unawares, and just the thought of what she witnessed back there made her redouble her pace as she tried to remember the quickest route to the little hidden cabin she had chosen as her headquarters.

She did not know what that creature was that she saw back there, but Bon-Bon knew that whatever could bisect the bug bear then proceed to feed by sucking up the remains in a violently erratic aura of red energy was most definitely not something she wanted to go up against with what she had on hoof. She had only come prepared to fight an ursa-vespidae, not whatever that nightmarish creature was. she could still picture it in her mind even as she galloped, the way the aura had illuminated the monsters head as it continued to feed. That would be giving her some sleepless nights in the near future.

Bon-Bon knew that she needed to get to her cabin as quickly as possible and get a message to the Princesses. Maybe they would have some insight on what it was that she saw. And Hollow Shades. . . they needed to be warned of what now lurked in the trees just outside their walls. With a course of action decided upon, Bon-Bon refocused her attention on the path in front of her.


It was another hour or so before another pair of ponies came by to take over the next watch shift for Roughshod and Star Mix, and the two were eager to be home in their own beds. Roughshod hoped his wife did not mind his dedication to his job too much. He had volunteered for the position after all, and Rose Flare had made it clear to him when he asked her that she in fact did not mind. Still, even with this in to ease his conscience, the earth pony stallion could not help but feel just a little guilty that his duties required him to spend so much time away from home. Despite her urging him not to, he had promised that he would make it up to her. Of course when that would happen depended greatly on whether or not this business with the bug bear would be resolved soon.

That was part of the reason why he was heading to Mayor Quarts' residence near the center of town as he had told Star Mix he would. The other part had much more to do with what he and Star had heard a short while ago. Roughshod could still remember it clearly; the telltale screech of a creature attacking its prey followed by the din of said prey being torn apart. It had sounded far away but it still gave the earth pony cause for concern. He knew that the sound did not belong to the bug bear, he would swear it on Celestia's mane. What he didn't know was what it did belong to, and that was why he was going to the mayor's house instead of home to his wife.

Presently the two story log home came into sight within a few minutes, the magic powered lanterns illuminating the decorative doorway. Trotting up to the door Roughshod knocked on it a few times with his hoof and waited. No answer came, and Roughshod knocked a second time. This time a muffled voice could be heard through the door.

"I'm coming, I'm coming!"

Shortly the door swung inward to reveal a ruby red pegasus mare with a disheveled mane and tail and feathers that looked like they would have to be preened in the morning. It was obvious that she had just woken up and was none too happy about it, as she squinted at her guest with a grimace on her muzzle.

"Roughshod?" she said in annoyance. "What are you doing waking me up at this Celestia forsaken hour?"

Roughshod rubbed the back of his neck guiltily and replied, "Sorry for the intrusion ma'am. But there's something that I think you should know."

Still trying to rub the sleep out of her eyes Quartz addressed him in an impatient tone. "And what could be so important that it would justify waking me up?"

Deciding to skip the rest of the apology and just get right down to the matter, Roughshod cleared his throat to speak.

"Ma'am, I think there might be something else in the forest besides the bug bear."

The moment he mentioned the name of the creature that had been terrorizing their village for the past couple of weeks all traces of weariness faded from Quartz's face, and he suddenly had her full attention. Anything that had to do with the bug bear took top priority in her mind.

"What do you mean? Did you see anything while you were on the wall?" she asked him with a hint of urgency.

Roughshod shook his head. "No, we didn't see anything. But both Star Mix and I heard something in the forest, and I would be lying if I said I wasn't a little worried."

"Of course not. Anypony would be worried with that thing on the loose. Did you know that I still have gotten no definite response from those bigwigs in Canterlot? The only reply that I've gotten is that they would bring it up with the Princess at her earliest convenience." Quartz scowled, and Roughshod mirrored her expression with one of his own. "More like their own convenience, the snobs. They've probably forgotten all about us." Quartz sighed after that. "Anyway, enough about that." she said, changing the subject. "You said you heard something in the woods, yes? Was it the bug bear?"

Again Roughshod shook his head and said, "I don't think so ma'am."

Quartz's eyebrows fell when she heard that, and she regarded him with a curious expression before saying, "Really? Then what, may I ask, is the reason behind your visit?"

Hesitantly Roughshod began to explain. "Well ma'am, I don't know what it was just yet, but as I've already said I think there might be something we don't know about hiding in there. And whatever it is, I don't think its too friendly."

Quartz brought a hoof to her forehead and she groaned impatiently. "Roughshod," she began, "you know I value your opinion and your will. That's partly why I allowed you to be up on the wall in the first place. But if you're telling me that there might, might, be another monster in those woods based on nothing more than a weird noise, then I might have to suggest that you take a break from it for a little while. We don't need you running off after every strange thing you hear. There's too few good ponies like you as it is."

Roughshod's ears drooped slightly at her admonishment, but his mind would not let the matter rest.

"I understand that ma'am," he said, "but this really has me concerned. "

"I don't know what you expect me to do about it then Roughshod," the mare answered, growing more impatient.

"All I ask," the stallion said carefully, hoping he would not rile up the pegasus more than she already was, "is that you let me take a few ponies out there to check it out, to make sure that there's nothing else going on out there that we should be worried about."

For a brief moment Quartz considered the request, obviously wanting to be doing something else right now. Like sleeping. Breathing a heavy sigh she looked him straight in the eye and asked, "Will it ease your mind if I say yes just so I can go to bed?"

"It would."

Quartz sighed again and said, "Fine. Do what you will Roughshod. Just watch your back out there alright? That monster's already taken one life. We don't need to lose anypony else."

Grimacing at the reminder, Roughshod nodded solemnly. With that the two bid each other goodnight and Roughshod headed home with the moon to guide him.


morning came several hours later in Hollow Shades, as Celestia's sun slowly ascended over the mountains on the Eastern horizon. There was a slight fog hanging in the air in both the local orchard and the town. The light did not immediately reach the collection of thirty some odd buildings due to the wall. The structure, which had been erected ever since the towns founding, wrapped its way around the hamlet in an ellipse. A short distance away a grain mill sat on the bank of a river, its water wheel slowly turning as the water flowed past.

Soon after the sun rose a rooster crowed loudly, signaling the start of a new day for the town residents, some of whom had already begun their chores. One of these ponies was Roughshod, who quietly walked about the kitchen as he prepared a breakfast of oats for himself and his wife. Even as he did this thoughts still plagued his mind about last night. And even though he had been the one to make the proposal to Mayor Quartz, he was almost dreading going out into the woods, and for good reason. Ever since the bug bear had been seen lurking around the orchard more than two weeks ago everypony had been almost too afraid to venture outside the walls for fear of it.

They had all heard the tales told about it, how it had once been a prisoner of Tartarus until it was rumored to have escaped a number of years ago, but for some reason that information had never been made official public knowledge. To Roughshod it seemed that somepony in the upper ranks of the Canterlot elite was trying to keep it under wraps, despite the fact that the beast was now roaming the countryside unchecked, and the ponies of Hollow Shades now knew those rumors to be true.

Roughshod knew that a solution to their problem did not present itself soon, then whatever trade that kept his home town afloat would eventually dry up. Even pegasi would think twice about traveling by air for fear of being attacked by the abomination.

And if there was something else out there besides the bug bear, then times would only get harder. And in his wife's condition. . .

Roughshod knew that this was the right course of action, no matter what his fears. He would have to go into town later in the day to recruit a few other ponies to accompany him. From there they would be able to decide on what to do should they find anything out of the ordinary.

Roughshod nodded to himself, his mind made up as he finished making breakfast. Rose Flare would waking up within a few minutes; no matter what she was always consistent about what time she got out of bed. His prediction proved to be true as he presently heard the creaking of hooves on the floorboards. Within a few moments a magenta coated unicorn mare strolled slowly into the kitchen area, revealing a distended belly that indicated how long she had been with the foal.

"Good morning sweetie," she greeted as Roughshod helped his pregnant wife to her seat.

"Morning yourself," he replied with a smile before sliding a bowl of oats towards her with his muzzle. Rose levitated a spoonful up to her mouth and took a bite before starting up a conversation.

"So, how was your night?" she asked sweetly as she continued to eat.

Roughshod shrugged in response and said, "Eh, nothing much. Just the usual stuff that goes on at night."

Rose Flare nodded and took another bite before she then asked, "Like what?"

For a brief moment Roughshod hesitated, unsure how to explain his current dilemma to his wife without making her worry. She already had a foal on the way, and Roughshod didn't want to add to her stress. Deciding to start with small details first he told her that he was going to go out into the forest with a few other ponies. Unfortunately his tact did not stop her expression from turning into one of worry. "What for?" she asked.

Deciding to just clear the air before it became an issue Roughshod proceeded to explain how he and Star Mix had both heard the sound of an unknown creature coming from within the trees. He told her everything, from his visit to the mayor's residence to his decision to go check it out later in the day. As he talked Rose's face became more and more pensive. Roughshod noticed this and attempted to dissuade her growing worry by adding, "I'm sure everything's alright though. I'm actually pretty sure it might have been nothing." He was lying when said that, but right now he just did not want his wife to worry.

She did not appear to buy it however, as she said, "And what if it's not? What you if something happens out there, if not by the bug bear then what about everything else that's in those trees? I know that living here is always going to be a challenge, but ever since it showed up things have only gotten harder. And what if you come back hurt? What if you don't come me back at all?"

At this Rose's eyes began to glisten as unwelcome thoughts entered her head, her once cheerful attitude gone. Not knowing how else to comfort her Roughshod got up out of his chair and trotted over to her. Putting a hoof around her withers he gently whispered in her ear, "Don't you worry about that. I'm not going any where anytime soon. You hear me? I am never leaving you." He then added while gently nudging her growing midsection with a fetlock, "Either of you."

Rose Flare regarded her husband for a moment before a gentle smile found its way to her face, and Roughshod felt his heart lighten as she nuzzled him. Content, Roughshod went back to his breakfast and to planning the day ahead.


Angela did not know for how long she had been unconscious for, and she presently could not recall the reason why she was unconscious in the first place. The only thing she could definitively say as she awoke was that it was morning. Or at least it felt like it was morning. For some odd reason her sight was strangely blurry. She was not sure what the cause of it was but to Angela it felt as though her vision was. . . off somehow. She could not quite put her finger on it, but is was like her eyes were open but she could not feel them. Beyond that she was unable to explain.

As her senses returned to her Angela noticed that her whole body ached as well. It was like she had gone through ten rounds straight without a reprieve. That or she was back in middle school again.

Actually, come to think of it, Angela mused, there really hadn't been much of a difference for me.

Either way, she hurt everywhere. From her head to her feet Angela's entire body was sore all the way to the bones underneath her skin. Ignoring the sensation for the moment Angela tried to remember how she even wound up like this. She put a hand to her head, finding that it felt oddly clammy to the touch, as her memories slowly but gradually resurfaced in her mind.

She remembered waking up in the middle of a dark forest after passing out at a convention. She remembered it being dark, and cold. Angela also recalled experiencing excruciating pain as that bear thing-

Angela was suddenly fully alert as she looked all around for any sign of the strange animal, almost expecting it to be standing right there. Thankfully it did not seem to be in the vicinity, and Angela heaved a sigh of relief, which sounded strangely raspy in her ears. For a moment Angela considered the possibility that everything that she had been through had been nothing more than a particularly unpleasant nightmare. It would certainly explain the bug bear thingamajig which, now that she thought about it, was actually rather ridiculous in hindsight. She supposed the fact that it felt like her life was in danger made it appear to be more menacing than it actually looked.

However the theory that it was all a dream did little to explain her aches and pains, which thankfully had stared to fade into numbness. The more she thought about it the more unlikely it seemed to Angela that everything she had experienced last night had been a dream. She remembered waking up in the forest. She remembered watching as the bear thing came closer to her. She remembered the feeling of her own body. . .changing. . .morphing. . .

Evolving.

An unpleasant suspicion wormed its way into Angela's mind, and she hesitantly brought up her forearms to see what became of them. The large growths that had accumulated on her skin were no longer present, which relieved her somewhat, but her relief was quickly tempered by the sight of her limbs when her vision finally began to clear enough for her see clearly. What she saw left her in a surprised stupor.

Somehow her skin had turned from its normal peach coloration to an extremely pale gray. In addition it seemed like her arms had gained a slightly scaly quality. And her hands. . . they were most definitely not the ones she was born with. For a little while Angela could only stare in confused shock at them. Gone were the the fingers she was familiar with, having been replaced by four fingered digits with long sickle like blackened claws at the ends.

Snapping herself out of her trance Angela frantically checked herself to see what else had changed. While she found that her torso remained much the same in terms of shape, it too had gained a gray pallor. Angela brought up a clawed hand to what she assumed would be her face, feeling all around her head for anything that was even remotely familiar. What she felt with her hands made Angela decide that she needed to find a mirror. Right now.

Luckily she noticed a small pond nearby, reflecting the light of the morning sun into her face, and she tried to stand. However when she did she stumbled, suddenly feeling like her feet were too large for her own body, and she fell to the ground with a heavy sounding thud. Groaning from the impact Angela shook herself and glanced behind to see what the problem was. The problem was that while her thighs and shins retained their shape, her feet now extended into long tendrils a number of feet behind her, contributing to about half of her body length. She had also apparently grown a tail as well, which gradually tapered from the base of her spine to a sharp point a few feet longer than the two tendrils that had replaced her feet and-

Since when did I have another pair of arms?

Indeed Angela saw to her continued bewilderment that she had in fact grown another pair of limbs above her original appendages, but instead of hands these bore enormous dagger like claws as long as the forearms they were attached to that ended in wickedly sharp points that looked like they could pierce flesh as easily as any blade.

She really needed to get to that pond.

Fumbling with her new anatomical features Angela slowly made her way towards the pond, mostly by crawling on her hands and knees. Along the way she would catch herself subconsciously using her new set of arms for locomotion, and she was slightly perturbed by how natural it felt to use them. Putting the thought out of her mind for the moment Angela focused solely on just getting to the water, leaving little furrows in the ground with her claws in the process.

Finally Angela reached her destination, and looked at her reflection in the water, unintentionally scaring a trio of fish.

Holy crap. she thought as she looked at the thing staring back at her.

It had a smooth elongated head with two rows of stubby quills near the back. Its toothy lower jaw was split down the middle, giving her visage an almost insect like appearance. But perhaps the most disconcerting feature of her head was the fact that she no longer any eyes to speak of. To Angela this made no sense since she was seeing her own reflection right now. . . at least that's what it felt like. As a test Angela tried blinking, but nothing about her reflection changed other than her vision dimming and brightening.

What the hell is going on?

Still perturbed by the shape of her head and "face", Angela once more looked at herself and her new body, feeling that she resembled something of a mix between a viper and a xenomorph with a little bit of zerg thrown in.

I look. . .

Angela, transfixed by the uninvited change, sat herself on her knees and once more looked at her clawed hands.

I look. . .

Angela let her arms droop, letting them sag to the ground as she stared off at into empty space.

Then, she abruptly raised all four of her arms into the air and shrieked, startling a number of birds out of their nests.

I look awesome!

Author's Note:

Quick question to anyone who is reading this, does anyone here know how to upload pictures into the authors notes? I would like to post a picture of the creature Angela turned into to give any who haven't played the game a better idea of what she looks like. I think I did okay in describing her new body, but still.

Anyway I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who has added this story to their list of favorites and gave it a like. Means a lot that you are enjoying it that much. On that note, if there are any out there who are not enjoying this story and decide dislike it, I respectfully ask that you explain why in the comments as opposed to just anonymously clicking the thumbs-down icon.

As always, let me know if any of you see any errors while reading so that I may correct them.