• Published 8th Oct 2015
  • 15,908 Views, 963 Comments

Hollow Shades - Dilos1



Something new lurks within the wilds of Equestria. Something monstrous.

  • ...
54
 963
 15,908

Intermission- The Price of Failure

A bitter cold wind blew unchallenged across the frigid northern wastes that made up the domain of the Crystal Empire, carrying with it a storm of snow and ice that sapped the heat out of anything and everything it touched. The heavy coat and scarf that Aegis Lash wore should have been enough to stay the cold, yet even it was having a hard time keeping up. He knew that if he stayed out here for much longer, then it was quite likely that he would freeze to death.

Yet even then it still would have been a preferable fate as opposed to what awaited him back at the Crystal Empire. He should know, as he had lived that life for close to three years now, and he would rather be frozen stiff and never have his body be found than go back to the fate he knew awaited him under Sombra's iron hoof.

Standing on top of the crest of a snow covered hill, hopefully out of sight of the dark kings soldier's, Aegis Lash could just barely see the jagged black spire that occupied the center of the Empire, looming above everything around like a monolith. The stallion could still remember from his days as a foal when the crystal tower was a grand and resplendent thing to behold, gleaming and sparkling beautifully in the sunlight. Now however Aegis could barely recognize it, as it had been warped and twisted so much by Sombra's foul influence, like it had been covered in thorns.

Aegis felt his brow crease in disgust at what happened to his home, once more wishing that the dark had never risen to power in the first place. There was very little he could do about it however. The only thing he could have done was escape to the lands in the south, hopefully finding sanctuary in the kingdom of the two alicorn sisters. And not just for himself, but also for Crimson Arrow, whom he had been able to free from the crystal mines during his own escape.

However, despite their best efforts their ruse was discovered.

And now thanks to him, Crimson was once more a captive of Sombra. Just the thought of Crimson being held in some cell beneath the Empire, her hooves bound by iron shackles as she awaited punishment, was more than enough to set Aegis's blood boiling. No matter what, he would not leave this place without her.

Tearing his gaze away from the back spire, Aegis resumed his search through the snow, looking for anything out of the ordinary. If the rumors spread by the other ponies toiling away in the mines were to be believed, then Aegis should be able to find a secret entrance that led underneath the Crystal Empire somewhere around here supposedly created by the former rulers of the Empire until Sombra took over. Using it, he would be able to infiltrate the dungeon cells and free Crimson, finally allowing them to seek a new life in the south. He imagined that the royal pony sisters would also be quite interested in hearing about the secret entrance as well.

However, that required Aegis to actually find it, provided it even existed at all. For all he knew, the rumors about it were nothing more than wishful thinking, a futile grasp at hope created by the slaves to convince themselves that the next day was worth seeing. Aegis probably would have done it himself.

But right now, Aegis needed it to be more than just a fantasy. He needed it to be real, if only so he could see Crimson one last time.

Looking all around, Aegis's vision was almost entirely obscured by the snow that continued to billow around him. For what felt like hours he frantically searched the horizon for something, anything that could help him.

And that was when he saw it. Off in the distance, Aegis spotted an outcropping of jagged black rock jutting up out of a snowbank like thorn. It was so out of place in the otherwise barren wasteland that it could no be anything else other than the secret entrance. Rushing over towards it, Aegis hooves crunched loudly in the snow as he approached. At first it appeared to have no real defining features about it that he could initially see, but as he skirted around the rock Aegis finally found what he was looking for. On the other side he could just barely make out a small recess in its side that led downward.

Excitement overtook him as he started to rush in, until he stopped suddenly as he realized the possibility that Sombra might very well know about the passage. If so, then it was likely that the dark king had put multiple guards in place to ensure that that anypony with hopes of escaping were caught. And as much as Aegis wanted to rush in to save Crimson, he knew that doing so would end in his death or worse, his imprisonment. Sombra was not very forgiving of those that tried to leave his domain. If Aegis was caught, he would suffer endlessly until the dark king ceased to find him amusing.

Which meant that Crimson was probably. . .

Steeling his nerves, Aegis took a deep breath of the frigid air, and dove in head first into the opening.


Aegis Lash was familiar with darkness. He felt he had become well acquainted with it during the months he had spent toiling away in the crystal mines beneath the empire, risking his life every single day, whether it be from his lungs being shredded into ribbons by the diamond dust that lingered in the air, what little air there was down there to begin with, or from having his body smashed into a pulp by the gem crushers, all by the dim light of a tiny oil lantern. He had barely survived it, just as Crimson had, and he would rather die than to experience it again.

That said, he would rather spend the rest of his life in utter darkness if it meant that Crimson was free.

The darkness he now found himself inside of was different however. Aegis could not precisely say how, only that it was. . . different. In contrast to the mines, which were tight and constrictive, the area around Aegis felt more open, if more than a little uneven. In addition to that the atmosphere was not as cold as he expected it to be. If anything it was actually rather humid, which he felt was an odd thing to encounter in the frozen north. In fact, it eventually became too much for Aegis to bear in his heavy coat, forcing him to carry it around on his back.

As strange as it was though, Aegis payed it little mind as he trotted onward, his path illuminated by a small lantern he held in his mouth. All that mattered to him right now was finding Crimson.

As he walked, Aegis began to notice an odd scent that hung in the air. At first it was hardly noticeable to his him, but over time it became difficult to ignore. Initially Aegis thought that he might finally be getting close to the dungeons where Crimson was likely being kept, but something did not feel right to him. It was like-

Something clicked on the stone ahead of him, sounding eerily like the scuttling of some many legged thing moving across the floor, just out of sight. Raising his lantern, Aegis peered into the inky black darkness in an effort to discern what it was that he had heard.

He could see nothing of note, and Aegis dared not call out for fear of it being Sombra's soldiers. But even then the stallion could begin to feel his heart begin to beat just a little bit faster in his chest, and a nervous sweat started to soak through the fur on his brow.

There was that smell again, and Aegis still found himself unable to identify it. It was acrid and sweet, laced with hints of rotting flesh. It was enough to make Aegis want to empty the contents of his stomach, but he kept himself in check for fear of giving himself away. There was something in here, whether it was Sombra's soldiers or not, and if it did not know he was here yet he would rather not alert it to his presence. With this in mind, Aegis dimmed his lantern a little bit, just enough to still let him see what was ahead but lessen the chances of him being spotted. Hopefully anyway.

Aegis began moving again, more slowly this time as his ears swiveled around in every direction as he strained to detect any disturbance in the silence.

After a few more minutes of what seemed like endless trotting, Aegis tripped over something on the floor. Upon finding his balance he stooped down to inspect what it was. At first he did not recognize it as being anything important, but they most certainly did not look to be natural either. With a jolt, he suddenly realized that he was looking at claw marks. Enormous gashes in the stone , each one more than a few inches deep. The only thing that Aegis could think that could make such marks was a dragon, but as far as he knew their kind were seldom found this far north. No, these marks were made by something else just as big.

What that was, Aegis would rather not know.

Cautiously Aegis began to walk forward, keeping his eyes peeled for anything that would lead him to the surface. He still had yet to come across a path or stairwell or something that would lead him to the dungeons. As he walked though he began to notice that the marks he had seen were not just on the floor but on the walls as well. He also saw that they seemed to form some sort of language, as though whatever had made them were trying to write a message in the stone. What it said, he did not know, as it was written in a language he did not understand. The only thing he could say for certain was that it seemed to be saying the same thing over and over again, if the way the symbols seemed to be repeating were any clue.

Farther down the stone wall, the supposed writing began to change, until Aegis was not sure it was even writing anymore. It gradually faded from letters and characters that he did not understand into random scratches and gashes. It was as Aegis was studying the marks, wondering what they could possibly mean, that he saw a door. Forgetting about the marks for time being, he rushed over to it, thing he had finally found what he was looking for. When he was near it however, he felt the blood drain drain from his face when saw that it was actually a cell door. One that appeared to have been broken into, the metal crushed and crumpled like a piece of parchment. Perhaps the most disconcerting part however were the large dark stains that marked the inside of the cell.

And this was not the only one. There were more cells like this one, placed at seeming random intervals, each one with their doors either broken down or ripped off of their hinges completely.

Suddenly Aegis saw something moving around in one of the cells. Fearing what he would find, he cautiously tip hooved towards it, noticing that the sickly sweet scent of rotting flesh had grown even more concentrated. Covering his mouth with a free hoof, Aegis peered with wide eyes at the thing in the cell.

He immediately wished he had not.

The pony inside was freshly dead, judging by the pool of blood that gathered around the body. Her mouth was still open in a soundless scream that would go unheard for eternity. But the worst part were the maggots, if one could even call them that. Huge, grotesque pulsating things, each one was about as big around as Aegis's leg. There must have dozens of them, all of them stuffed inside of what was left of the pony's hollowed out carcass as they continued to nibble away at what flesh remained. Their constant squirming caused the body to jerk around quite a bit, giving the impression that the pony was still alive even as she was devoured from the inside out.

Aegis was unable to contain himself anymore as he rushed away from the cell, fighting with himself to keep from vomiting on the floor. The lantern he held in his mouth clattered to the floor as he struggled to find breath, producing a harsh clanking sound that echoed throughout the cave. Eyes wide with fright, Aegis Lash picked up the lantern when he had recovered enough from his shock and proceeded to put as much distance between him and those. . . things as possible.

He no longer cared about stealth anymore, he just wanted out of this place. As he ran, the ground in front of him suddenly exploded upward, sending a spray of rock and soil into his face as he staggered backward before falling onto his side. When he cleared the debris from his eyes he found himself confronted by something from a filly's nightmare. It looked somewhat like a spider, although it was far larger than any spider he had ever seen before. It was easily the size of a full grown pony, with a bulbous, oblong abdomen and long legs that ended in razor sharp points. It's chitinous shell seemed to glow with a sickly yellow light.

Aegis could not help but scream in terror as the spider reared up, letting out a shrill, high pitched screech of its own before it started scuttling towards him, its fanged jaws splayed impossibly wide as though it meant to swallow him whole. Scrambling to hooves Aegis ran, galloping as fast as he could away from the spider. He thankfully had enough forethought to remember to scoop up his lantern back up before doing so. It was his only source of illumination in whatever hellhole this was, and he would be damned if he left it behind.

To his immense relief the spider was apparently much slower than he was, and it quickly fell behind until the ominous glow it gave off faded from his sight completely. Mollified by this knowledge, Aegis allowed himself to slow to a stop before collapsing to his knees, taking in deep breaths to soothe his nerves. It did little to help however, as the images of the spider and the half eaten mare were still fresh in his mind.

What in Equestria were those things?! Aegis had heard stories of giant spider's before, but nothing quite like that, and certainly nothing pertaining to those maggot things. Were those the spiders' young? He did not know, and he did not want to know. All he wanted was to get out of this place and run away as fast as his hooves could carry him. He was stuck in this place however, as he still had yet to find any trace of Crimson. He knew the body of the mare back there did not belong to her, so that at least gave him some hope that she was still alive at least.

That still left the task of actually finding her however, which Aegis did not hold out much hope for at this point. He realized that during his escape from the spider, he had become hopelessly lost in the darkness, with no idea where he came from or where to go. His heart still hammering away in his chest, Aegis chose a random direction to go in, and started walking, constantly glancing all around him for any more surprises.

Minutes passed by with no further complications, and Aegis began to wonder if maybe he was in the clear. Perhaps those creatures were the only things he had to deal in here. He certainly hoped so. After a long while of inactivity, this seemed to be the case, and Aegis felt a huge amount of relief, believing that the worst was behind. He was still hopelessly lost, but at least he did not have to contend with giant glowing spiders and maggots and-

A faint, raspy hiss reached his ears, and Aegis once more felt like his heart was about to burst from his chest as he whirled around, fully expecting the spider to be right behind him, ready to drag him off into some dark hole, never to be seen again. The space behind him was empty however, devoid of any large arachnids or other abominations.

Nothing.

Something dropped onto the ground next to his hoof with a wet sounding smack. Looking down, he saw some sort of liquid, greenish yellow in coloration. Oddly enough, it was producing a small cloud of acrid smelling vapor as it seemed to sizzle and broil on the hard stone. Aegis tilted his head as he inspected it, wondering what it was.

Another droplet of the odd substance fell soon afterward, lightly grazing his muzzle. Even that brief moment of contact was enough to utter Aegis yelp in sheer agony as he frantically tried to wipe away the horrid stuff with his fetlock. When it was finally off Aegis was left with what felt like a severe burn on his skin, the fur having been melted away, exposing reddened flesh. More drops began to fall, forcing him to step out of their path. Looking up, he tried to see where they were coming from, but the light of his lantern was too dim for him to see much other than an odd formation of rock on the ceiling above.

Taking a moment set the lantern down, Aegis adjusted it so that it shone at its brightest, and once more he lifted it upward to see what was up there.

What he saw next would give him the most horrible nightmares for the rest of his life, provided he even survived. Up on the ceiling, hanging upside down by four spindly looking legs with enormous clawed appendages at their ends, was something that could have only been conceived in the deepest, darkest depths of Tartarus, in places where light never reached.

The creature, the monstrous. . . thing, was unlike anything Aegis had ever seen nor heard of. It looked vaguely like some kind of massive spider or some other hideous insect, but with fewer limbs and a bald head that was connected to a bony torso by a thin neck. Sprouting from the things skeletal chest was a smaller pair of arms, each one sporting two fingers tipped with razor sharp black claws.

Aegis was frozen to spot with sheer unfettered terror as he stared upward at the monstrosity, just as it stared back down at him with multiple tiny eyes that appeared to be asymmetrical to each other, each one reflecting the lanterns light. The only movement that Aegis could discern was the swarm of maggots that slithered across its spider like abdomen, darting in and out of large pores in its chitinous armor and flesh.

Unable to move for fear of provoking it to attack him, Aegis stayed absolutely still, although he was unable to keep himself from shaking in fear. Just when he thought that he might survive as long he refrained from moving, the thing tilted its head and opened its mouth slightly, exposing many misshapen teeth and a long tongue covered in saliva. A pair of mandibles on either side of its lower jaw splayed outward, making it look even more hideously deformed than it already was.

As it moved, Aegis could not help but notice that something seemed to be glinting around its neck, and when he looked closer he saw that it was actually a necklace of of all things. It was tied around the creatures neck by a length of thin rope, and Aegis found himself wondering what in Equestria it was doing on this beast. He unfortunately did not have any more time time to wonder however when the creature suddenly released its grip on the ceiling, dropping straight down towards him, claws extended as it reached for him. Screaming, Aegis finally regained control of his limbs and bolted out of the way, just barely avoiding getting impaled by the things talons as it impacted on the floor with a heavy sounding thud. The monster seemed to be taking its time in pursuing him however, as though it knew he had nowhere to go. Keeping its body low to the ground, the monster slowly stalked towards him, mouth hanging slightly open as acidic drool dripped from its tongue.

Aegis ran for his life, often tripping over the uneven surface of rock. Every time he glanced behind him he could see the creatures hideous face looming behind him, just within sight of the lantern. No matter what he did to get away the creature was always there. Suddenly Aegis felt his front hooves meet open air, and he began to tumble down a steep incline, losing his grip on the lantern along the way. After a few seconds of falling, Aegis finally hit the bottom of the slope with a jarring thud. Struggling to get back on his hooves, he felt a sharp pain from his left hind leg, realizing that it was now broken.

Crippled, Aegis desperately looked around, but could only find darkness. He was hopeless without his lantern, and he began searching for any trace of light, hoping to find. To his immense relief he spotted the lantern sitting a short distance away, laying on its side. Thankfully it had stayed lit. Breathing heavily, Aegis began a slow trek towards it, dragging his now injured leg behind him, wincing every time it shifted around.

Just when he was little more than a few feet away from lantern, Aegis froze when he saw something else enter its radius of light, though it was not the monster as he was expecting it to be. Instead, it was something that was considerably less threatening in appearance.

It was a mare.

At least, Aegis thought it was a mare. It. . . she retained the same overall shape of a pony, but there was something very strange about it. Her fur did not look like fur should. Instead, it appeared to have been woven from many small overlapping strands of silky thread. Even her eyes, which peered unblinkingly at what amount of illumination the lantern gave off, looked like this.

Aegis gulped, unsure what to do. He took a cautious step backward, forgetting about his injured leg. He was quickly reminded of it however the moment he put weight on it, and he hissed in pain. Almost immediately the supposed mare's head snapped upward, looking straight at him. Aegis froze as his eyes met hers, knowing he had been caught.

Deciding to take a chance with this odd pony as opposed to risking another encounter with that montser, Aegis cautiously resumed walking towards her.

"E-excuse me?" he said, his voice stuttering. "Please, you have to help me. I don't know where I am." The mare said nothing but continued to stare at him. "Please," Aegis continued. "You must know the way out. If you could just point me in the right direction I can-"

Aegis stopped, less than a few feet away from the mare now. On the mares fur, he saw a small hairline crack begin to form, slowly spreading across her torso. From the crack, small strings of some unknown material waved about, like tentacles looking to grab onto something.

The mare stepped forward, her movements resembling those of a puppet being controlled by strings. More cracks started to form, splitting her face in half as she approached. Aegis frantically tried to get away from the mare, but his injured leg hindered his progress. He only covered a few feet before he fell, bruising his chest on the jagged floor.

The mare quickened her pace, getting closer and closer with every shaky step. Aegis could do little more than wait and watch, until she was finally upon him. When she did, the cracks in her body were so numerous she hardly resembled a pony anymore. The mare stood there, looking at him with an almost curious expression on her, which continued to become ever more disfigured by the cracks. Then, raising a hoof, she lightly brushed Aegis on the side of his face as he continued to tremble in terror.

"Wha. . . what are you?" he asked shakily.

The mare's only response was a soft, almost angelic smile, right before her whole body suddenly exploded, bathing Aegis in a downpour of burning liquid. The stallion screamed and thrashed as he felt his whole body being melted.

A shrill cry from somewhere to his left was enough to momentarily distract him from it. He looked over, and the last thing he saw was a maw full of misshapen teeth heading towards him out of the darkness, just as the lantern's light finally gave out.


Author's Note:

And the was the moment that Aegis Lash realized that the power of his boner was insufficient.

So here is that intermission that I mentioned in my blog post. I hope you enjoyed it as much as I enjoyed writing it.
I have to admit, the first time I fought the gorgon, I initially didn't think it would be that bad. I quickly changed my mind when I got pounced by the thing from above, and I heard the screams of my little hunter dude yelling for someone to get it off of him, and all I could think was something along the lines of "HOLY F:yay:NG S:yay:T! WHAT THE HELL!"
It was a pretty intense moment for me.

Anyway, enough about that. Be sure to let me know what your thoughts and questions arein the comments section below, and alert me to any errors I may have missed.