• Published 8th Oct 2015
  • 15,887 Views, 963 Comments

Hollow Shades - Dilos1



Something new lurks within the wilds of Equestria. Something monstrous.

  • ...
54
 963
 15,887

Dispute

The nocturnal sounds of the forest rang out as various creatures of the night milled about, looking for food in the gloom. A family of possums scurried over a stream, using a fallen tree as a bridge to cross the stream of running water. Above in the trees, multiple owls hooted and called out to each other as their sharp eyes scanned the ground for any signs of mice. Then suddenly, the woods fell utterly silent as though a sound dampening spell had been cast around the area. The family of possums hurried to the safety of their den and the owls stopped their hooting. Every creature of the forest fell into a tense silence as they detected the presence of something coming their way.

Before long, the thing that had made the become as quiet as death arrived, panting and breathing heavily while it scratched at its neck with the blunt edges of its talons.

Angela was having a very hard time concentrating at the moment, as needles of pain shot through her head and neck like railroad spikes. It was mind numbing in all but the most literal sense of the term, and all that the wraith could do to alleviate it in any way was to continue clawing and scraping at the areas in the hope that she would eventually neutralize whatever was causing her such discomfort. With how much Angela was going through she could not even form a coherent thought anymore, and all that she was left with was her emotions and impressions. Those mostly consisted of anxiety, fear, anger. . . and disappointment.

As Angela continued to scratch, feeling her rough skin start to become raw as a result, Angela's muddled thoughts turned back to that pony. That very same pony that Angela had first seen since she had woken up in this place. The very same pony that had misunderstood Angela's intentions and fought against her. The very same pony that Angela had almost killed in cold blooded anger and hatred.

Even in the state she was in, Angela could still even now picture very clearly the fear on the pony's face as Angela chased after her. The image of the mare pinned under her claws was vivid in her mind, as was the intention behind it. When Angela realized what she was doing just in the nick of time, she was both horrified and angry at the same time. She was angry with the pony of course for pushing her so far, but mostly she was angry at herself for letting her instincts get the better of her.

Every moment was now horrifyingly clear in her memories of when she almost killed the pony.

The terrible satisfaction of her prey being pinned under her claws.

The feeling of her blade like arms rising upward in preparation to end her life.

And the sound of the pony's terrified crying as she clenched her eyes shut and whimpered just loud enough for Angela to hear, "No. . . please no. . ."

When Angela heard the pony's soft words, something happened inside of her that immediately made her realize just what she was about to do. They reminded her very much of another incident that happened not very long ago, when Angela first awoke and was confronted by the bug bear. The only difference then was that Angela was able to defend herself from the monster. But for the pony, there was nothing to defend her against the monster that Angela had allowed herself to become.

The former human was ashamed. So ashamed that she had let herself fall into her base desires and urges. So ashamed that she had all but proven the pony right in the claim that she was nothing but a monster. All because she couldn't take a little pain.

Okay so was not just a little pain. When it feels like hot needles are being driven into the side of your head and neck without pause, then perhaps it is a little understandable that she reacted the way she did. Still, in Angela's mind it did little to justify almost killing over it. And after she was already so distraught from the resurfacing memories of her previous life, Angela only felt all the more ashamed of her behavior.

That just left the question of what she was going to do now. She briefly considered staying here, and hope that she had at least scared the ponies enough to finally leave her alone for their own safety, but decided against that. She was simply too much of a risk if there was a town nearby. She could still leave, but now since she had let the pony go it was almost assured that she would be pursued.

Angela simply did not know what to do, and the pain was certainly doing nothing to help matters, as she continued to scratch at the offending area. When that did not seem to work she resorted to rubbing against the trunk of a tree. This did little more than peel off the outer layer of bark, creating a wound in the tree that bled sap, and cause Angela's skin to become even more agitated. Eventually the pushing and shoving caused the tree to topple over, leaving Angela with nothing left but the hope that sleep would take her muddled thoughts away from it and allow her thoughts to clear enough to where sh could decide on what to do.

Deciding that this option was preferable to causing herself even more harm, Angela curled up around herself like snake would, and tried to focus on something, anything other than her discomfort. But every time she attempted to dull her senses to fall asleep the pain would flare up again, keeping her from her rest.

Angela hissed and snarled, this time out of anger and frustration that she could not even get a nights rest anymore. Eventually she became so frustrated to the point she lashed out at the nearest object with her blade like talons. The sound of something splintering and snapping quickly followed, and Angela did not even care that she had felled a fully grown pine twice as tall as she was in her anger.

Angela knew she needed to distract herself somehow, and it was not going to come from sleep, but nor did she want to resort to taking out her frustrations on the local flora.

Heaving her sinewy form back into the air, Angela hoped that wandering little through the forest would help take her mind off of her frustration and discomfort, and maybe even allow whatever was bothering her to go away, or at the very least fade enough for her to get a good night of sleep.

For what felt like hours Angela wandered around without direction, only paying enough attention to avoid crashing into anything. After a little while she happened to notice that the sun was finally rising in the distance. The light allowed Angela to see with a bit more clarity where she was.

She had wandered into a bog or swamp of some kind, with a vaporous cloud of white mist hanging just above the surface of the shallow pools, some of them a hundred feet across. Before Angela could contemplate her location further she felt another spike of pain assault her senses, causing her to emit a low keen as she clutched her head with her arms as she waited for it to pass.

Her sounds of distress carried out across the bog, and Angela did not notice that something had reacted to them.

A hundred yards away the water began to ripple as something unseen moved underneath its surface, closer and closer to Angela's location. When the discomfort finally ebbed away into a dull and throbbing ache, Angela breathed heavily in raspy breaths. It was then that she at last noticed what was going on. She peered at the ripples in the water warily as they continued to draw ever closer. Unsure what else to do Angela let out a violent hiss that rang out in the bog, an otherworldly sound that shook the very air.

The ripples ceased as whatever was hiding under the water stopped, apparently reconsidering its next action. For a long time nothing happened, and Angela contemplated just leaving when something very big, perhaps even larger than her, started to rise up out of the murk. It had a huge hulking body with greenish brown scales. Two trunk like legs sprouted from the sides, and four heads reminiscent of vipers rose up above her, supported by long serpentine necks that were connected at their base. Each head eyed her suspiciously, obviously having never seen anything like her before.

With an emotion somewhat similar to the feeling of oh come on, Angela hissed as she cautiously backed away from the hydra. In response the hydra's heads snarled at her in a sound not too dissimilar from her own as it hauled its bulky form out of the muddy water.

Deciding that she was not going to deal with this Angela turned to leave, keeping the hydra in her sight as she moved away. The moment she was far enough away where she felt it was okay to do so Angela turned away from it fully. No sooner had she done this however than did she feel one of the heads bite down on one of her tails. Angela snarled in surprise and anger as its fangs sank into her. Reacted on impulse Angela used her claws as a bludgeon as she gave the creature a swift hit on the head that bit her.

The action had the desired effect, and the head promptly released her tail before it could be struck again. Hissing in agitation the head shook itself while the other three looked at her with something resembling anger. The creature was no doubt unhappy with her fighting back, but Angela could not have cared less. She already had enough problems on her plate, she did not need this thing causing more of them.

She tried to leave again, only to feel another head bite on her tails. This one however let go before she could "persuade" it to leave her alone. Angered, Angela whirled around and snarled ferociously at her adversary, understanding now that the hydra ad, in the confines of its skulls, mistaken her for prey, and had no intention of just letting her leave.

Angela could have just dashed away and be done with the whole situation, but something kept her rooted to the spot. Something inside her was somehow making even the thought of retreating nigh unthinkable.

For a few brief moments the two mighty creatures stood off against each other, the silence broken by the occasional quiet hiss. The hydra's four heads were reared back, like snakes preparing to strike. Angela crouched down with her hands on the ground and her claws raised, while the spines on her back stood straight up as they bristled in anticipation.

Then, like a storm breaking from behind the clouds, Angela lunged, her multi-ton body flying threw the air as she shrieked. Her claws were extended fully as she prepared to tear into her adversary.

The heads of the hydra reacted just as quickly, and they wrapped their jaws around Angela's limbs and tails just as the wraith plowed into the monstrosity, hacking and slashing at the beast with almost wild abandon. The hydra was having an extremely difficult time trying to keep Angela still with how much she was thrashing around, and just when it seemed it had her the wraith dashed away to a safe distance.

Angela circled around the hydra, hoping to find a spot where she could do more damage to it. Her previous attack had bloodied it severely, but it was not going to be enough to put it out of action. Its thick scales limited the effect her claws had on it. She needed to find some sort of weak point, but its heads were doing a good job of keeping track of her every movement, and she could find no opening. The beast moved with a surprising amount of speed in the water as it kept itself facing Angela, not once letting her leave its sight.

Then suddenly the hydra lunged at her with two of its heads, but Angela quickly avoided the attack with a dash to the side. She then proceeded to ponce on the hydra's back, where she began to impale it repeatedly with her talons. The hydra in response started thrashing around violently in a desperate bid to get her off, and its heads snapped at her as they attempted to get their jaws around her limbs.

One of the got lucky and sunk its fangs into the upper portion of her right mantis like arm. With no small amount of effort it pulled Angela off, taking a few chunks of flesh in the process. The head did not let go however, and the remaining three quickly latched on to her on various parts of her limbs and tails. With her remaining free hand Angela swiped at the nearest head. The hydra ignored the injuries it was receiving and swung her into a nearby tree, dazing her momentarily.

Angela was not going to stand for this. Reaching as far as she could, she succeeded in wrapping her mandible like jaws around one of the creatures necks. Her teeth easily pierced the creatures scales and slipped into its flesh, filling her mouth with hot blood that tasted of copper. The smell and taste of it ignited her senses, prompting her to squeeze harder and harder. The head thrashed violently, even going so far as to release her as it tried to free itself. Angela would not let it go however, and with a twist of her head she was met with the sound of the neck snapping.

The pain of the injury carried over to the remaining three heads of the hydra, and they all screeched and roared as the fourth head hung limp in the water, and they released her. They recovered quickly however, and they lunged at her again as the main body barreled towards her. Angela did not meet it full on this time. She was strong, but the hydra must have outweighed her by at least a few metric tons, and she was not going to allow it to crush her under its girth. She looped around, almost too quick for its head to keep track of, and attacked it from the side.

It was just then however, that Angela felt another stab of pain shoot through her head, and she faltered in her assault as she clutched herself in agony. The hydra noticed its opponents hesitation, and wasted no time as each one of its heads bit onto various points of her spine, and the pain in her head was forgotten as their jaws squeezed. Reacting quickly Angela hooked her blade arm over the neck of the one attached to the base of her skull and pry it off. It was in vain however, as the head remained firmly latched on.

The situation was only made worse when the hydra used all of its strength to push her under the water, trying to drown her. Angela thrashed around more violently then ever, but no matter what the hydra refused to let go. She had intruded on its territory and severely injured it as well. She was a threat that needed to be dealt with.

The thrashing continued for several moments until, suddenly and inexplicably, Angela stopped. This confused the hydra somewhat, but it still kept its jaws around the wraith. It was forced to let go however when a massive shock wave ripped through the water, creating a cloud of mist as it was practically vaporized. The hydra felt its jaws be forced to open to lengths they were not meant to from the implosion. Massive pain shot through its broken jaw bones as it glanced all around for any sign of its adversary.

No territorial dispute was worth this much trouble, and the hydra suddenly began to feel something it had not felt since it was but a one headed hatchling. For the first time in a hundred years the hydra was afraid as its three remaining heads, each one dazed and confused by the implosion, looked for any sign of the other creature. The mist however obstructed its vision, but every few seconds it caught fleeting glimpses of the wraiths form as it prowled around the edge of its vision before disappearing again. The hydra backed away, knowing that it lost this fight, hoping it could swim to safety and heal from its injuries.

It was not to be however, as it witnessed the nightmarish creature come flying out of the mist. And something was different about it it too. Its skin seemed to shimmer and glow with fiery white light, and it moved with an astonishing amount of speed that no other creature could match, much less the hydra. Its claws moved at blinding speed, so fast the movements could not be tracked as they struck the hydra again and again and again.

The hydra simply could not hold up against the onslaught as its heads were repeatedly struck, and its body practically gushed blood as it was pierced. It knew it had no chance of victory now as injured as it was. If it could just get away it might be able to eventually recover, but not without sustaining lasting harm.

With one more powerful swing of her claws, Angela bludgeoned the hydra's left most head, sending the beast crashing into the murk with a splash of red stained water. The hydra wheezed and moaned from its injuries as it made a feeble attempt to right itself. Its attempts were halted when the wraith planted itself over it, holding it down with her claws.

Angela snarled at her beaten foe, feeling an immense amount of satisfaction at being victorious. But at the same, she regretted that she had made the hydra suffer as much as much as it did. Was it really necessary to go so far just to get it to leave her alone? After all, it was only acting on its instincts. She was the one had intruded on its territory. It may have struck the first blow, but did Angela have to reciprocate with blows of her own, when she could have just as easily left? She could have left the hydra in the dust if she wanted. It had even started retreating away from her, but instead of letting get away, Angela had once again allowed her instincts to dictate her actions

It was just like the situation with the pony from earlier.

Angela's muddled thoughts were interrupted when the hydra moved ever so slightly under her talons, each head gasping for breath. They wheezed and moaned as its life slipped away from it in great pools of red.

As she looked at it holding on desperately to the last bits of consciousness, Angela felt her instincts calling her finish it off, to tear off its heads and feed on its remains.

Angela did no such thing.

Gently picking herself up off of the shuddering body of the hydra, Angela silently floated over to its three remaining heads. They watched her with hazy yellow eyes, and they widened in fear as she approached and their breathing became more rapid. Its widened even more when, instead of piercing its flesh as it probably expected, Angela instead gently began to stroke them. The hydra continued to eye her warily, but Angela felt at least some satisfaction to see that it had calmed down enough.

The pain in her head was inconsequential now. All that mattered to her at the moment was to comfort the hydra in its last minutes of life.

Finally, after one last labored breath, the hydra's eyes closed forever, and the rising sun bore witness to Angela's joyless victory.

Author's Note:

Because what's a story with giant monsters if there isn't at least one monster fight, right? I suppose there was the scuffle with the lupis-minors, but that felt a little short in my opinion, so I decided to channel some of that into this chapter.
I actually drew a lot of inspiration for the hydra fight from the scene in Jurassic World where the T-rex takes on the Indominous. The movie was actually playing right in the next room as I was typing this up, so it was easy to channel my inner monster-fight lover.
Now, I realize some of you were probably hoping to see what became of Bon-Bon, and what Gerald did with the bottle she gave him, but I've been kinda itching to write a chapter like this for a little while now, so I figured I might as well get it out of my system while also giving a little insight to Angela's thoughts. I hope you all enjoyed it.

As always, alert me to any mistakes in the comments section.