• Published 9th Oct 2015
  • 4,931 Views, 111 Comments

Rise From Betrayal - Diokno44

  • ...
14
 111
 4,931

I-A Plot Uncovered

Downtown Canterlot, the seedier portion of the noble city. While a majority of the ancient town is the pinnacle of equine civility and nobility, there exist a small bastion, filled with cutthroats, addicts, and criminal scum. A light flickers on the second floor of a shoddy looking establishment. The stench of cheap booze and sweat emanate from the old bar. The Prancing Pony, once a respected gentlestallion's club, is now the main headquarters of the criminal underworld. Outside, a stallion, his form covered by a dark grey rainslick, trots to the building, he has a purpose at this den of inequity.

Upstairs, in a shadowed window booth, a group of ponies sit. Three stallions, and two mares. Half-empty tankards of spiced cider sit before them. The head of their group, an alabaster Unicorn, his coat freshly combed, as was his golden mane and tail, shimmer off the flickering gaslight. His face, noble and calm underneath, his hidden behind a mask, resembling a wolf's visage. A simple disguise, but an effective one, to hide the identity of Prince Blueblood the 300th, many-times great grandnephew of Princess Celestia. He coughs into a hoof, "So, are the weapons ready, Sir Gallant Heart?" He asked the stallion sitting across from him.

Solar Guard Lieutenant Gallant Heat, his left eye having a thin scar running from the top of the upper eyelid, to the bottom of the lower eyelid was his most distinguishing feature, nodded. "Yes, I've stashed them in a few hollowed out spaces, the floor beneath my desk, underneath your bed, Blueblood, etc." Blueblood nodded in satisfaction, taking a small sip of his drink. "Ivory Shell here has been planning out any and all escape routes." He hooves some rolled up scrolls to Blueblood. "Sadly, Lords Cosmo, Greengrass, and Vice fell ill for this meeting, but, here, are the mapped out routes, and, thanks to some careful snooping, the patrol routes for later tonight."

Blueblood broke the seals, and began looking over the notes, a thin smile gracing his lips. "Excellent work Gallant, your help, as always, is invaluable." He slapped his hoof against the shoulder of the lieutenant. "With these in hoof, all of Sparkle's plans to give power to...commoners." There was a collective shudder of disgust from the assembled group. "And allow filthy non-equines to live with us, will die with her." He raised his mug, as did his fellows, "Par le sang, la paix" The others repated their oath, Through blood, peace, a Prench phrase Blueblood had come to love.

Meanwhile, from a booth across from theirs, a stallion rose, his cloak swaying about him. Tossing a few bits on the oily wooden table, he began galloping away from the seedy bar and brothel.

If one looked closely, one could see a glint of golden armor hidden beneath the rain slick.

----X----

Twilight mumbled, turning over in her bed. There was a loud knocking at her door. Smacking her lips, and rubbing her eyes, the Princess of Friendship slowly trotted to her bedroom door, and opened it. She found a familiar blue maned stallion, her friend-with-benefits, and former coltfriend, Flash Sentry. "Flash? It's..." She glanced at her clock, "10:44, what is it?" She asked.

Flash panted, catching his breath. "Twilight, I followed Blueblood to downtown, I overheard him and a few others talking. I-I think they may want to kill you." Twiliight's eyes widened, as she took a step back. "T-they said they wanted your plans of social reform, to die with you."

Twilight began to hyperventilate, trying to focus her breathing. "When?" He pointed to the one on the clock. "A-alright, I might have a plan, you know that mirror image spell I showed you and Sunset last time she visited?" He nodded, from what he recalled, it was an illusion spell, one allowing an exact duplicate of a pony to be made, that was when it hit him. She smiled, her horn glowing. A shimmer of pulsating, violet light appeared over where had been sleeping. A beam of light slowly went up and down, as it slowly made a copy of Twilight, who, for all intents and purposes, appeared to be sleeping. Flash nodded, and trotted back to his room. Carefully pulling the covers over her doppelganger, she slipped under the bed, a mini scrying portal in the corner of the ceiling, barely the size of a common house fly. Breathing slowly, she waited, as the clock ticked in rhythm with her exhales.

Hours later, just as she was about to doze off for the the second time, she heard the door slowly creak open. Turning her eyes to the scrying spell, she witnessed several ponies, their faces obscured by masks, daggers glinting at their side, approach her bed. She held her breath, watching as they raised their knives over her double. With the sound of metal wetly hitting flesh, they dug into her, artificial blood staining their murderous blades. The deed done, the first assassin, who, from turning his head to congratulate his fellows, was revealed to be none other than Lieutenant Gallant Heart lit his horn. The assailants vanished in a flash of light, as the sound of a guard's enchanted hoofguards clattered closer to her bedroom.

The guard, a recruit by the looks of her, no more than a mare fresh out of college, came into the room. She gasped, her spear, acting as both a traditional melee weapon, and a projectile launcher, clattered to the floor. Her face, for the disguise enchantment had failed in her shock, made her copper coat turn as pale as when disguised, was twisted in horror. She fought back the urge to vomit, and immediatly raced down the hall, "Alert the guards! Princess Twilight Sparkle has been attacked! Princess Twilight Sparkle has been attacked!" She yelled. Twilight felt bad for the young recruit, but still stayed hidden, waiting for the opportune moment to reveal herself.

Minutes later, Princess Celestia, her beautiful, radiant marefriend, entered the room, accompanied by several of her guards. She rushed over to the duplicate, cradling it in her gentle forehooves. It pained her heart to do this, but all would be well soon. She covered her eyes, as an explosion of magical healing energy washed over the area, bathing it in light. If Twilight had to guess, you could see the blast from Manehatten.

"Twilight, Twilight...d-don't leave me. Please." Celestia pleaded to the heavens, tears streaming down her face. She laid a gently kiss on the lips of the lavender double, tears splashing against its artificial skin, and trailing down its body.

That was when Celestia looked closer. The artificial blood that spell creation bled was not entirely red, it had a violet tinge to it, a result of Twilight's magic. That, and the lips she had tenderly kissed, which normally tasted of vanilla and lavender, tasted like warm ash, and ice. Slowly, Twilight crawled from under the bed, and was immediately enveloped in the warm embrace of Celestia. "You're alive!" She muttered, burying her face into Twilight's chest.

"I know Celly, if Flash hadn't warned me..." She trailed off, as the castle staff began removing the blood stained sheets. She gently squirmed out from other the large Alicorn's body, groaning. "We have to make Gallant and the others," She showed her scrying recording to Celestia, who growled. "think they succeded. I'll write a letter to my friends and family to let them know I'm alive." She quickly began gathering materials. "I've have to go dark, disguise myself. If I can try and get the reforms passed, then we can have some unity, and nab them when we know who else was part of the plot." Maybe she had been reading to many mystery and spy novels, but it was all she had to go with.

"After that, would we reveal you're alive?" Celestia asked, sitting on her haunches. Twilight nodded, as her horn glowed dimly. Her coat began to change color, turning from the beautiful lavender Celestia loved, to a lush forest green. Her wings slowly, but surely, became invisible, starting at the tips, and descending, until she looked like any old Unicorn. Her mane gained a bit of a curl at the end, and the part closest to her face became curled as well, turning into a fiery red color, with a light yellow highlight. Using a bit of illusion magic, and some quickly colored paper, her Cutie Mark changed to that of a rolled up scrolls interlaced with a quill. "Though I prefer your usual look, this should work Twily." She nuzzled her marefriend.

"Thanks Celly, and, when we're in public, its Forest Scribe." Twlight smiled, then turned to the simulucrum of herself, its forelegs folded over its chest, as if in prayer. "Well, I guess we should prepare "my" funeral, but first..." Grabbing a fresh quill, parchment, and some ink, she began writing notes to her friends, her parents, her brother, Cadence, and anypony else she deserved to know the truth, that she was alive, but not to tell a single living soul outside of each other. Smiling, she gave the letters to a Flash, who promised to deliver them. "Hmm, I'll need a cover story." She thought aloud, as some of the guards began carrying "her" body to the Royal Mortician, a mare by the name of Quick Stitch, a former seamstress.

Twilight breathed a sigh of relief, "Well, since I won't be using my old chambers for some time, can I sleep with you?" She asked coyly. Her curled tail swayed against the floor.

Celestia chuckled, "Of course "Forest." She winked, as the two trotted to Celestia's bedchambers, hoof in hoof.

Meanwhile, in Blueblood Manor, Prince Blueblood and a few of his noble friends were toasting, to a plan carried out, an assassination successful. At least, that's what they thought.