• Published 4th Oct 2015
  • 18,124 Views, 1,897 Comments

Chronicles of an Evil Overlord - Melancholy



Evil rising up to take over Equestria? Normal. Evil succeeding in taking over Equestria? Unusual. How did he do it? By following some simple rules...

  • ...
97
 1,897
 18,124

Rule 27

Domination of Equestria - T+231 days.

It was dim and vast underneath the Castle of the Overlord.
Down in the deep dark of the hidden caverns lined with crystal and steel there was a small and furious team of creatures bustling around, carrying huge reams of cable and even more carrying bundles of computer chips and massive platters of data storage.

In the centre of the room stood a massive gothic column of twisted metal and groaning parts, rising high into the rafters with cabling and lights festooned all over like someone had confused Hearth’s Warming with Nightmare Night. It groaned and buzzed next to two figures which seemed to be both the middle of and apart from the flurry of activity taking place around them.

“So this is the central core of the Yggdrasil system?”
“Yes…master.”

“It’s quite imposing.”
“It needs to be. The processing core unit you supplied back when we began this project is quite substantial.”

“Absolutely. There’s nothing like it after all.”
“It would make your demands for massive amounts of redundancy much easier if you allowed me to look at what it’s made of and how it functions.”

“I’m sure it would, Chief, but as I explained to you then, it’s a unique piece of equipment. Even were you to look under the cover, as it were, you would be no closer to replicating it.”
“So you said.”

“Then you need to listen more.”
“Well excuse me, Master.

“Someone’s still bitter.”
“After what you did, who wouldn’t!”

“Sooner you get over it the better.”
“Why did I agree to this!?”

“We’ve had this conversation.”
“Right...right. Moving on.”

“Please do.”
“As per your instructions we’ve created several of these main system units. Three are installed here in Canterlot. One here, which currently has the processing core. Another in the Solar Furnace chamber above. Before the system comes online there will be a processor transfer system between the two for automatic core transfer and seamless service mobility.”

“Makes sense.”
“Similarly full system management can be done from either here or the Empire Master Control System in the Sewage Overflow. Limited management can be done directly from the backup control system in the Furnace but only if the core is there at the time.”

“How limited?”
“System diagnostics, data observation. No administrative level processes can be viewed or executed from there at all.”

“Excellent. And the third?”
“The third main control unit here in Canterlot is located on the peak of Canter Mountain with the Solar Eruptor Focusing Lense. No processes can be run from there at all, if the core is installed there the system will enter full automatic mode.”

“Sounds acceptable. I assume there’s more though?”
“Of course. In the basement of the Castle of Friendship in Ponyville we have a full replica of the Canterlot Master System.”

“That sounds rather insecure?”
“It would be, except that the Ponyville system will only operate when the master connection is activated.”

“I’m not reassured.”
“It’s a giant switch which physically disconnects it from the network. It’s in the deepest mine here in Canterlot and locked in a room with feral starving changelings.”

“That’s...inventive.”
“Yea, I’m surprised the request was passed actually. One of the researchers put it down as a joke.”

“Hummm...Now I think about it, I do recall that one passing my desk now I think about it.”
“Ah, you would pass it.”

“Of course. It’s hilarious.”
“It's cruel.”

“Only if you count feral changelings as useful.”
“I...wha-...nevermind.”

“Probably for the best.”
“Usually is.”

“So we’re all well secured against any interruptions of service?”
“Yes. With the city running off of the Solar Furnace we moved all of the previous power generators down here. Now a whole city’s worth of power generation is functioning as an uninterruptible backup supply for Yggdrasil.”

“Fantastic work Chief.”
“I have a name you know.”

“Not according to the record you don’t.”
“And who’s fault is that?”

“Oh please, you flatter me…”

Overlord Rule No:27 I will never build only one of anything important. All important systems will have redundant control panels and power supplies. For the same reason I will always carry at least two fully loaded weapons at all times.