• Published 4th Oct 2015
  • 18,103 Views, 1,897 Comments

Chronicles of an Evil Overlord - Melancholy



Evil rising up to take over Equestria? Normal. Evil succeeding in taking over Equestria? Unusual. How did he do it? By following some simple rules...

  • ...
97
 1,897
 18,103

Rule 15

Domination of Equestria - T-32 days.

We really should have called the police.
Or better, the bomb squad.
Who’s dumb idea was it to hang around and try to save the stupid statue anyway?

"Arrrg!"
“Sunset? Have you worked out how it works yet?”

“No Dash, I haven’t, and having you yell every few seconds isn’t helping my concentration!”
"Sorry!"

Oh yea, it was mine.
So here I am, kneeling in front of the statue in the grounds of Canterlot High, wrists deep in a mess of wires, cables and blocks of suspiciously labeled substances. Good thing I have small hands.
All while a small screen in the corner ominously counts down. Three hundred and falling.

“Ok, assuming this counter is reading in seconds, we’ve got five minutes. Pinkie, you made sure the school’s evacuated?”
“Ma’am yes Miss Shimmer Ma’am! Everyone removed from the building and accounted for!”

“Right then, that just leaves you guys. Get out of here right now.”
“Now hold on an apple pickin’ mi-”

“No arguments! This thing is clearly going to be at least strong enough to blow this statue to pieces, but honestly, it looks a bit bigger than that. If I can’t deal with it then you could all get hurt, and I won't allow that to happen!”
“Sunset, Darling, how can you expect us to abandon you like this!?”

“Because it’s the right thing to do and we’re running out of time! Don’t argue with me!”
“Damnit Sunset! You better get out of there too before that thing goes all nuclear ok!?”

“Promise Dash, now go. Please!”

Right. Are they…? Yea, gone. Good. Now I can really get started.
So this wire leads from the power circuit to what I can only assume is the detonation circuit, yea...all these ones go from there to the blocks stuck all around the statue.
This one goes to...pressure pads, attached to the back. Thought so, if I move this, it’ll go off instantly.

Once I’m done with this I need to find out what’s going on in Equestria. I’ve not heard from Princess Twilight in months, and now this? Someone trying to cut the portal off with a bomb? What kind of madness has taken hold over there?
Something’s happening in magical pony land, I can feel it, and it’s bad.
Really bad.

How long have I got left? One hundred and thirty six seconds. Just over two minutes.
Plenty of time Sunset, just take a deep breath.

Now, red or blue?

Canterlot Times
Explosion at Local High School Kills Student!
Students at Canterlot High distraught as seemingly random terror attack takes well loved friend.

Overlord Rule No:15 I will never employ any device with a digital countdown. If I find that such a device is absolutely unavoidable, I will set it to activate when the counter reaches 117 and the hero is just putting his plan into operation.